Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 20, 2014 5:10 AM
May 2014
Did u guys ever watch an anime that starts as a really great one, but then it starts to let you down ?

I watched Hataraku maou-sama and it started as a really great anime, but then i got really disappointed after the 5th episode.

What about you guys?

Mod Edit: Pls give your reasons as to why you think so, or else this thread will be locked for Simple listing. Just saying "It was bad", "Everyone should know why", etc. is not constructive at all.
_MaouSama_Nov 5, 2016 2:10 PM
test
Pages (22) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 20, 2014 5:15 AM

Sep 2014
Really? I kind of liked Hataraku Maou. Oh well, I guess our tastes differ.

For me the anime with the most wasted potential goes to either Sword Art Online or Guilty Crown. Both had amazing animation and sound, but the storylines fell apart and stopped making sense for me around a quarter way through.
Sep 20, 2014 5:33 AM

Nov 2012
GreatWarlord said:
Neon Genesis Evangelion.......
no, its shit even from beginning.
any ultraman series > > > > > evashitlion
IF YOU LIKE DEATH PARADE, GO WATCH BARTENDER!!!
my animesongs chord thread : here bro
Sep 20, 2014 5:37 AM

Jul 2014
Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi, it had an amazing world with a unique plot. it could have been miles better.
Sep 20, 2014 5:38 AM

Oct 2008
Gungrave

Sep 20, 2014 5:38 AM

Jun 2012
Highschool of The Dead seemed like it had great potential with that theme and story, but it got ruined with ridiculous amount of fanservice.
Sep 20, 2014 5:42 AM

Aug 2014
Aldnoah.Zero. Crappy characters and lackluster writing. Turned itself into an anime that seemed as if it had been directed by Michael Bay.

Shingeki No Kyojin - Interesting premise. Crappy, cliche & uninteresting characters as well as a crappy story and really poor pacing.

Sword Art Online. My review will perhaps explain why.
FoxfireSep 20, 2014 6:57 PM
Sep 20, 2014 5:49 AM

Aug 2008
crosx said:
Zankyou no terror. The first expisode was 8.5/10 but the rest...

Yeah. First episode for me is awesome but after that,it become repetitive where it always about bomb and riddle of the week. Bringing in Five and American doesn't make it better.

For me, it still a good anime overall but could be better.
ZapredonSep 20, 2014 5:53 AM
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Sep 20, 2014 5:53 AM

Jul 2014
Air. Not a shred of doubt, no other anime comes close in terms of wasted potential, at least among adaptations.
Sep 20, 2014 5:54 AM

Dec 2013
Kimonozume--first half was amazing. The second was bad comparatively.
Phantom: Rftp--should have ended on the dock.
Dtb gemini--just...no.
Sao--4/10 with all 4 going to Yuki Kaijura
DouluoSep 20, 2014 5:58 AM
Sep 20, 2014 5:55 AM

Dec 2013
Sword Art Online - amazing premise, but wasted on stupid filler, horrifying romance and fanservice. 0/10 story.

Aldnoah.Zero - good premise but bad execution and the characters are just...
Sep 20, 2014 5:58 AM

Jun 2014
Darker than Black

Especially season 2 where typical supernatural BS started filing its way in
Sep 20, 2014 6:27 AM

Nov 2013
Sword Art Online (the harem and Yui ruined it. It should have been 25 episodes in Aincrad, with focus on action, game mechanics and political/psychological consequences of being trapped in a game).

Haruhi Suzumiya (Even if the first 6 episodes and the movie are good, there are soooo many things that could be done with this premise).

Angel Beats! (It should have been the best anime ever. I'm waiting for the VN, and I'm hoping for a 25 episodes X 2 seasons remake).
Lollo36Sep 20, 2014 6:31 AM
Sep 20, 2014 6:28 AM

Feb 2013
Aldnoah Zero-It could have at least tried to pass off as a gundam rip-off/wannabe......It ended up being Just Crap

But hey,At least it has I SAY FRYYYYY!!!!!
Sep 20, 2014 6:34 AM

May 2014
Another - the show slowly became a comedy show instead of horror lol

Sword Art Online - everyone knows why

Fate/Stay Night - poor adaptation

No Game No Life / Akame Ga Kill - need less fanservice and comedy
Sep 20, 2014 6:36 AM

Apr 2014
khangsk said:

Akame ga Kill doesn't really have a lot of comedy and it also doesn't really have a lot of fanservice so I don't understand your point of view with that. Also NGNL is a ecchi show so it is supposed to have fanservice.
Sep 20, 2014 7:11 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
khangsk said:
funniest death scenes ever :3
Sep 20, 2014 7:18 AM

Sep 2013
ninjastarforcex said:
GreatWarlord said:
no, its shit even from beginning.
any ultraman series > > > > > evashitlion

Fair enough. Still probably the most disappointing series of all time.
Sep 20, 2014 7:27 AM

Jul 2012
khangsk said:

More like:

Sword Art Online - bad adaptation is bad, Kirito became a God Stu because of it

Fate/Stay Night - ufotable shall save us

No Game No Life - Did exactly what it was supposed to do (being one of the best and smartest (japanese readers will know why is so genius) ecchi series I've ever watched)

Akame Ga Kill - need less fanservice (started kinda bad too, sounded like it was really trying hard to be an edgy and dark shounen (borderline seinen), but it got progressively better and better)
Sep 20, 2014 7:28 AM

Sep 2014
GreatWarlord said:

Yes the end of Evangelion is a little bit complicated to understand. That's why you should watch Rebuild of Evangelion. The author said the finish will be different.
Sep 20, 2014 7:40 AM

Sep 2013
VTjr10 said:
GreatWarlord said:

Yes the end of Evangelion is a little bit complicated to understand. That's why you should watch Rebuild of Evangelion. The author said the finish will be different.

No thanks. I heard that Rebuild is supposedly what everyone wanted the original to be in the 90s. What is that exactly? More fanservice and other bullcrap like that, which I already hated in the original. Besides, I also heard that Rebuild 3.0 was disappointing for people.....
GreatWarlordSep 20, 2014 7:49 AM
Sep 20, 2014 7:43 AM

Aug 2008
Milk_is_Special said:
khangsk said:

Akame ga Kill doesn't really have a lot of comedy and it also doesn't really have a lot of fanservice so I don't understand your point of view with that. Also NGNL is a ecchi show so it is supposed to have fanservice.

Akame does has fanservice but not to the extent of your ecchi anime. However,I don't think khangsk is saying Akame has plenty of fanservice as much as your typical ecchi anime. Just saying need to tone it down.Dr Stylish seems to be the character intended for comedy but fail.

@Danpmss
Not sure if the author try to make it dark shonen. My impression is that the author is using assassination/corruption as the plot for this shounen instead of ninja/tailed beast(Naruto) or pirates/treasure(One Piece) or wizard/guild(Fairy Tail).Akame still a good shounen though.
ZapredonSep 20, 2014 8:34 AM
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Sep 20, 2014 7:46 AM

Jul 2012
By far Umineko no Naku Koro ni.

Though it was understandable (even more because it was made by Studio Deen), is nearly impossible to adapt such magnificent content.
Sep 20, 2014 7:56 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Danpmss said:
By far Umineko no Naku Koro ni.

Though it was understandable (even more because it was made by Studio Deen), is nearly impossible to adapt such magnificent content.
even if it was a proper adaptation it'd seriously need like 100 episodes or something to properly cover the entire VN =w=
Sep 20, 2014 8:05 AM

Aug 2014
Angel Beats - Was expecting amazing, got semi-likeable train wreck.

Naruto - Budget plz increase + new artists or smth for the big fights

FSN - Could have been much better in every regard

Berserk - Is not viewable by today's standards. The movies are ok-ish but with really great directing it could be a pretty strong series.

Chrome Shelled Regios - Seems like it had lots of potential but fell flat in too many categories. World building, characters, explaining everything... maybe it was just so poorly written they couldn't fix it.
A guide to living with that one guys ugly signature on MAL.

1. See that SullyNathan has posted last in thread, abort thread.
2. After clicking quick reply, close eyes and type out reply.
3. Try to scroll as far down as possible before replying if you prefer to keep your eyes open.
4. Report said signature for being offensive to the eyes.
5. See he is active in thread, scroll through thread while trying not to have eyes burned, sigh, click back & lose interest.
6. Move to another part of MAL forums where he does not visit.
MAL Jesus where are you?
Sep 20, 2014 8:06 AM

Oct 2012
Steins;Gate, such an interesting theme ruined by stupid character relationships
Sep 20, 2014 8:09 AM

Feb 2013
GreatWarlord said:
vongola-undecimo said:
Aldnoah Zero-It could have at least tried to pass off as a gundam rip-off/wannabe......It ended up being Just Crap

But hey,At least it has I SAY FRYYYYY!!!!!

What mecha is your avatar?

Epyon from Gundam Wing
Sep 20, 2014 8:12 AM

Sep 2013
vongola-undecimo said:
GreatWarlord said:

What mecha is your avatar?

Epyon from Gundam Wing

Thanks.
Sep 20, 2014 8:13 AM

Oct 2008
RagesEntity said:

Berserk - Is not viewable by today's standards.

Just lol.

If even a series made in the late 90's is "not viewable" and considered dated by younger anime fans,then i honestly pity those who only seek "visual eye candy" in the anime medium.

Also yeah completely not viewable in any way shape or form....

[spoiler]

Sep 20, 2014 8:16 AM

Nov 2013
I've mentioned Kaiba in several threads already, but I'm going to say this again: if the vibrant world building in its first half had carried on to its second half, I would have easily considered it Yuasa's best work.
Sep 20, 2014 8:19 AM

Oct 2012
amateur said:
RagesEntity said:

Berserk - Is not viewable by today's standards.

Just lol.

If even a series made in the late 90's is "not viewable" and considered dated by young anime fans,then i honestly pity those who only seek visual eye candy in the anime medium.

Also yeah completely not viewable....

The art is off constantly, though my standards were quite high having read the manga beforehand, but the art is only one problem. The second thing I strongly dislike is the music, the atmosphere feels very bland.
Sep 20, 2014 8:19 AM

Aug 2014
amateur I like Berserk the manga. However the animation in Berserk is awful.
It is not a good viewing experience. In episode 4-5 or w/e they are complimenting Guts sword work and how great it is when he is shown doing the same 1-3 animations over again.

Watching it by today's standards is a laugh. My friends and I watched it on team speak at the request of another friend, we all laughed at it and said we couldn't go further after like 10-12 episodes. Don't be an old fart with nostalgia glasses. There's old series I enjoy that have good art but not the best animation (GiTS) for instance isn't AMAZING animation. These same group of friends like Trigun (I personally thought the anime is over rated, one of them says I'm retarded and we argue over it) and we all enjoyed Cowboy be-bop. Though I think a few eps of be-bop were pretty awful but some of it was pretty great. So we can enjoy old anime as well.

If you don't think Berserk would be better with 2 decades of animation improvement... wtf is going on in your head.

I'm not very young, but as I age I adapt with the youth. I'm not stuck in the past saying NES and SNES games were #1. Everything improves over time. That's human nature. Music games art everything we choose to focus our abilities on grows.

It's actually pretty funny tbh, because the Berserk Manga has probably by far and away the best art of any Manga I have ever seen. There's crazy amounts of detail in it it's insanity.
RagesEntitySep 20, 2014 8:22 AM
A guide to living with that one guys ugly signature on MAL.

1. See that SullyNathan has posted last in thread, abort thread.
2. After clicking quick reply, close eyes and type out reply.
3. Try to scroll as far down as possible before replying if you prefer to keep your eyes open.
4. Report said signature for being offensive to the eyes.
5. See he is active in thread, scroll through thread while trying not to have eyes burned, sigh, click back & lose interest.
6. Move to another part of MAL forums where he does not visit.
MAL Jesus where are you?
Sep 20, 2014 8:23 AM

Sep 2014
Tokyo Ghoul. Was expecting more =(
Sep 20, 2014 8:24 AM

Nov 2013
I actually liked most of Berserk's soundtrack. The OP is a different story though.
Sep 20, 2014 8:32 AM

Aug 2013
Angel Beats!, even though it's my #1.

It could have been so much better if it was stretched out to incorporate more character and setting background.
Sep 20, 2014 8:32 AM

Dec 2013
No. Most of anime are boring in the start and pick up later on.
Sep 20, 2014 8:38 AM

Jul 2013
Tokyo ESP

the first episode was fucking amazing with the espers taking over the world or something, then every episode after that was complete shit
lol
Sep 20, 2014 8:39 AM

Jul 2014
I seconded Air Gear could have been way better.
Sep 20, 2014 8:49 AM

Sep 2013
Hataraku Maou-Sama? Yeah, right lol.

Maybe Guilty Crown? Shu's power was really nice and the story could've been much better, I guess.
Sep 20, 2014 9:06 AM

Nov 2013
_Ultima_ said:
WillyL said:

wat

Stein's gate could have been good if it stuck with the first half instead of boring drama.
But the feels tho.

Have you played the VN btw ? All of the science, haha.
/人 ‿‿ 人\
Sep 20, 2014 9:12 AM

Aug 2008
jayss said:

I felt the character relationship makes it extra good.

Sep 20, 2014 9:14 AM

Feb 2012
jayss said:

Amen

Log Horizon - I was expecting more on the nuances of playing MMORPGs like timing CDs and things like caster/tank personality sterotypes, but it turned into a corny fantasy story for pubescent boys.

Samurai Flamenco - Decontruction turned super sentai. What happened?
"You know what they say about he who hesitates in war? He who hesitates is lost."
Sep 20, 2014 9:22 AM

Jul 2013
WillyL said:
_Ultima_ said:

Stein's gate could have been good if it stuck with the first half instead of boring drama.
But the feels tho.

No, but I didn't like anime so i wouldn't like the Vn since it is the same plot and characters, but you should play it since you are a fan and it offers more.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 20, 2014 9:24 AM

Nov 2013
_Ultima_ said:
WillyL said:
But the feels tho.

No, but I didn't like anime so i wouldn't like the Vn since it is the same plot and characters, but you should play it since you are a fan and it offers more.

I did, it was extremely good. Choices by phone were crappy so I used a walk-through, but other than that... Woah.
/人 ‿‿ 人\
Sep 20, 2014 9:26 AM

Dec 2013
Zapredon said:
jayss said:

I felt the character relationship makes it extra good.

Steins;Gate has one of the best relationships and interactions between characters I have seen. The romance between the main characters easily beats most of the romantic dramas/comedies.
Sep 20, 2014 9:32 AM

Jul 2013
Durarara could have been good if it was baccano season 2.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 20, 2014 9:44 AM

Jul 2014
_Ultima_ said:

No. it could have been better if it focused on the russian sushi dude.
Sep 20, 2014 9:51 AM

Mar 2014
Okashi--chan said:
_Ultima_ said:

No. it could have been better if it focused on the russian sushi dude.

Exactamundo!
[i]"Yet each man kills the thing he loves,
By each let this be heard,
Some do it with a bitter look,
Some with a flattering word,
The coward does it with a kiss,
The brave man with a sword!''
~Oscar
[/i]
Sep 20, 2014 9:53 AM

May 2013
jayss said:

Steins Gate was based on it's character relations. Take that out and you'd have nothing left.

Also, I've probably mentioned it so many times already this month because I was so disappointed with it, but I'll say it again anyway because it needs to be said - the third Madoka Movie.
Dark_ChaosSep 20, 2014 10:02 AM
Sep 20, 2014 9:57 AM

Mar 2013
So I just found out that DEEN is animating the second season of Log Horizon, which means there's a pretty solid chance that will count as "most wasted potential"
Pages (22) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

136 by FanofAction »»
17 minutes ago

Poll: » Legs or arms?

Absurdo_N - 3 hours ago

18 by Vaturna »»
32 minutes ago

» Is there an anime character who looks like you in real life?

Alpha_1_Zero - 51 minutes ago

2 by LightWorker »»
32 minutes ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - 7 hours ago

23 by Horshu »»
33 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - Yesterday

47 by traed »»
34 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.