Forum Settings
Forums

If you're shy, how do you think you became that way.

New
Sep 15, 2014 6:30 PM

Oct 2013
I find it really difficult to speak my opinion or stand up for myself at home. I'm much more confident saying my opinion to my friends than I am my family. I think I'm uncomfortable opening myself up around my family more so than my friends because they're very judgemental. Especially my brother. I can't say anything around him without him raising his voice at me degrading my opinion. I don't feel comfortable watching anime around him because I know he's gonna judge me for what I like to watch. And he's nitpicky with vocab too. It's to the point to where even if I say the wrong vocabulary or get a minor detail wrong, he'll talk over me in an intimidating voice and talk in a way to where I feel stupid about myself. And it's even more difficult since all my thoughts come out in abstract images; I know what I'm thinking about, but I can never formulate the proper word that's in my head. He treats me like I'm stupid since my vocabulary is poor due to this. So in the end, I find it difficult to speak my thoughts to my family and to strangers.

If you're quiet, what do you think led you to become that way?
I'd go with emobubbles, but someone else already had it, damn bastard.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 15, 2014 6:44 PM

Aug 2014
I'm not entirely shy...sometimes I feel like I can talk to anyone...then I hit reality...I think for me its because I was born with speech problems...I couldn't speak very good...Now I'm fine but I still have that fear...I can talk to people I have known for awhile but if I'm going to talk to someone I haven't before...I usually end up thinking about what I'm going to say for 15 minutes and usually A: There gone B: I decide not to do it. Don't even get me started about talking to girls...Literally every time I go to a comic store/barnes and nobles and see a cute girl looking at manga, I always think I'm going to say something...I never do...
Sep 15, 2014 6:45 PM

Aug 2014
I'm not that quiet. I choose to be quiet when I feel that the moment isn't probably the best time for my ego to shine. Other than that, I choose to speak with confidence as it shows people that you can stand on your own feet.
Sep 15, 2014 6:48 PM
Jul 2018
I really have no clue. .-.
Sep 15, 2014 6:49 PM

Nov 2008
Introversion combined with frequent moves.

Sep 15, 2014 6:55 PM

Jun 2014
I'm really really shy, when I'm around a large group of people I get really nervous.
Like sitting in front of the classroom feels like everybody is looking at you ( > ◡ < )
I just don't wan't to leave a bad first impression (๑╹◡╹๑)
Sep 15, 2014 6:57 PM
Jul 2018
I have to do a 15 minute class presentation tomorrow, oh lord. XD
Sep 15, 2014 7:00 PM

Jul 2012
People thought I was strange, so they either made me IT for tag or didn't let me play at all, and things like that made me some-what shy but in the past 2 years I have been less shy.

Most people don't think I am shy though.
Sep 15, 2014 7:01 PM

Feb 2014
It's my magical avoidance skills. They help you when you least expect it.

"Everything you see on the internet isn't true." -Abraham Lincoln
Sep 15, 2014 7:02 PM

Apr 2014
I'm just naturally a little shy. :D
Sep 15, 2014 7:04 PM

Jun 2014
Supercolin said:

Oh, man just thinking about it makes me wanna hide ( ⊙﹏⊙)
Sep 15, 2014 7:05 PM

Jan 2014
Probably from (at first involuntarily) spending most of my time alone while very rarely being around other people. Talking to people in person is a lot different than talking to them online! And it's something I'm not used to.

Plus, I'm very inarticulate, regardless of the circumstances, so the act of talking is often an embarrassing affair.
Sep 15, 2014 7:07 PM

Feb 2014
Zeebrah said:
Supercolin said:

Hide under your sheets.

"Everything you see on the internet isn't true." -Abraham Lincoln
Sep 15, 2014 7:11 PM
Dec 2010
I definitely used to be more shy than I am now, and I can only say that simply putting me through the tasks that were nervous to me helped me improve so that I'm not as shy now. If a presentation made me nervous, then I worked on not being nervous. If talking to new persons was embarassing or nervous, then I challenged myself to approach more new persons. So on, so forth. I'm still shy towards new persons I meet, at least to start with, but that's more because I care to make a good impression (if I enjoy talking to the person). Presentations are still making me nervous, that's natural, but I can't help but feel a sense of enjoyment as well when I talk in front of people. Just take initiative and challenge yourself, you're capable of so much more than you might think.

As a response to OP's situation, I'll say this: I used to be afraid to speak up, so I just isolated myself in my own bubble. Eventually, however, I thought to myself "why am I so afraid?" and started to simply stand up for myself. If someone in your family doesn't agree with you, that's fine. Arguing among family members isn't necessarily something bad, so long as it doesn't get too emotional. I hate some of my brother's opinions, for example, and he's well aware of it. We still get along, we just have our own ways of seeing some situations. If they judge you easily for your opinions, explain to them why they shouldn't. If they still disagree with it (and they very well might) then just do your thing and don't let them stigmatize you for it.
Sep 15, 2014 7:12 PM

Jan 2014
I used to be pretty shy, even now I'm a lone wolf type but I'm completely comfortable dealing with people. I just choose not to when possible.

My shyness was likely due to being a reader, if left to myself I would have read my life away and not even noticed. My first job changed all that; I had to deal with lots of customers in a fast paced environment, so I learned to be a bit more outgoing.
Sep 15, 2014 7:14 PM
Dec 2010
Supercolin said:

Focus on your pacing, just talk slowly and clearly.
Sep 15, 2014 7:15 PM

May 2009
I've just always been shy. I don't recall not being this way.
Sep 15, 2014 7:22 PM
Sep 2014
Others are unwilling to listen.
Sep 15, 2014 7:27 PM

Jan 2014
Zeebrah said:
Supercolin said:

The trick to public speaking is to be prepared and just focus on communicating with your audience. You must make them understand your arguments and presentation. When I'm focused on that, I don't have time to be nervous.

I usually come across pretty well.
Sep 15, 2014 7:29 PM
Jul 2018
I usually do well with public speaking although I really have a stern voice as I do so. XD
Sep 15, 2014 7:31 PM

Mar 2013
Nigga u need confidence to do well in life.
Sep 15, 2014 7:36 PM

Jun 2014
Jackrabb1t said:
Zeebrah said:

The trick to public speaking is to be prepared and just focus on communicating with your audience. You must make them understand your arguments and presentation. When I'm focused on that, I don't have time to be nervous.

I really hate public speaking ヽ(;▽;)ノ I can speak English fluently no problems what so ever, but every time I give presentations I talk like, I just picked up a English dictionary and start mixing words with my native language.
Sep 15, 2014 7:54 PM

Jan 2014
Zeebrah said:
Jackrabb1t said:

I really hate public speaking ヽ(;▽;)ノ I can speak English fluently no problems what so ever, but every time I give presentations I talk like, I just picked up a English dictionary and start mixing words with my native language.
I guess a lot of it is practice also.

In high school, I only had to do a half dozen major presentations. In college, studying history, it seems like most classes had some kind of presentations involved. And then speech class was nothing but presentations... I've had lots of practice. :P
Sep 15, 2014 8:13 PM

Aug 2013
I just stopped talking as much and making friends because my family constantly kept moving. I got tired of meeting new people, making "friends" and then having to start over again.
Sep 15, 2014 8:20 PM
Feb 2013
simple; lack of experience
Sep 15, 2014 8:22 PM

Mar 2014
Took some pills that really stunted my personal growth and possible aspergers
Sep 15, 2014 8:28 PM

Sep 2014
The awkward moment I have when someone is expecting me to talk more when I don't know what to say or which topic to talk about.
Sep 15, 2014 8:30 PM

Jan 2013
I have no idea how I became this way, I always remembered myself being extremely shy since kindergarten. I want to change but I can't.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 15, 2014 8:33 PM

Jul 2014
I'm a subscriber to the theory that within one species there can exist two equally successful "personalities". I feel like pushing a shy person towards extroversion is denying them their role in evolution. The sensitive individual's strategy is not so advantageous when resources are plentiful or quick, aggressive action is required. But it comes in handy when danger is present, opportunities are similar and hard to choose between, or a clever approach is needed.
Sep 15, 2014 8:39 PM

Jul 2013
My "friends" (and family) used to make fun of me if I slurred up a word or just said something stupid..

I've noticed now if I ever have to talk to someone I don't know well.. My heart beat sky rockets and I feel like I am gonna die if I mess up my speech or whatever. I then start to sweat when all eyes are on me... This is like everyday... Although I tend to open up a lot more to people and talk about deep stuff of life if we're good friends.

Hm.. I can easily stand up for myself. A lot of people can see that when some stuff happens to me..

But now when I think of it... I might have always been just be weird a kid who some people just don't like and ignore.
Sep 15, 2014 9:06 PM

Dec 2013
More than likely growing up in isolation was the cause for my shyness. As a kid and teenager I usually kept to myself and no one bothered me. Along with not being interested in what most kids/teens were at the time. As such I didn't have much to say or add toward conversations and the habit just stuck over the many years. Luckily that cycle was broken in my last years of school. Though recently since I haven't had many people to talk to directly I've become slightly inarticulate.
Sep 15, 2014 9:07 PM

May 2010
I was born shy.
Sep 15, 2014 9:08 PM

Mar 2012
I'm naturally shy, but I have social skills. I developed these over time and forced myself to get better. Now, a lot of people wouldn't think I'm shy but I will always naturally be that way.

I know part of it has to do with events in my life, but I was also naturally that way. Being shy doesn't mean you can't get over many of the negatives.
Sep 15, 2014 9:12 PM

Jul 2014
Supercolin said:

Prepare an escape. Perhaps have a rope hanging from your classroom window. Besides, Good luck!
. . .
Sep 15, 2014 9:15 PM
Nobody

Jul 2013
If i was shy it would most likely because i dont talk to people enough, but i do so it doesnt effect me much

might also be other reasons but i cant think of any
Sep 15, 2014 9:19 PM

Sep 2011
I lack in confidence and being social.
Sep 15, 2014 9:31 PM

Jan 2014
PointOne said:
Supercolin said:

Prepare an escape. Perhaps have a rope hanging from your classroom window. Besides, Good luck!
Oh boy. I see a "Mr. Despair" moment coming up.
Sep 15, 2014 9:45 PM

Jul 2014
emoblossom123 said:
I find it really difficult to speak my opinion or stand up for myself at home. I'm much more confident saying my opinion to my friends than I am my family. I think I'm uncomfortable opening myself up around my family more so than my friends because they're very judgemental. Especially my brother. I can't say anything around him without him raising his voice at me degrading my opinion. I don't feel comfortable watching anime around him because I know he's gonna judge me for what I like to watch. And he's nitpicky with vocab too. It's to the point to where even if I say the wrong vocabulary or get a minor detail wrong, he'll talk over me in an intimidating voice and talk in a way to where I feel stupid about myself. And it's even more difficult since all my thoughts come out in abstract images; I know what I'm thinking about, but I can never formulate the proper word that's in my head. He treats me like I'm stupid since my vocabulary is poor due to this. So in the end, I find it difficult to speak my thoughts to my family and to strangers.

That is such a sad story, emoblossom123. You can't change the circumstances of your birth, but you don't have to let them define you, either. If your family will not treat you with the love and respect that you deserve, then you owe it to yourself to move on. At least, it sounds like you have some good friends, and you should try not to be afraid of strangers. Each one that you meet is a new opportunity to start over.

Supercolin said:

Practice, practice, practice. The key to learning is rote memorization. If you rehearse your presentation as many times as possible, then you will instantly spout it out when it's your turn.
Sep 15, 2014 10:53 PM

Oct 2013
People who don't dare to show their faces online are usually shy or socially awkward. That's how you spot them.
Coño!
Sep 15, 2014 10:54 PM

Apr 2014
Dross_Rotzank said:
People who don't dare to show their faces online are usually shy or socially awkward. That's how you spot them.

Yeah, I've noticed this as well.
Sep 16, 2014 12:13 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
People describe me as a shy person, but I've never thought of myself that way; I just like to see what the people I'm talking to are okay with before I start speaking more. Sometimes, it might take years.

But really, I've become quieter because I'm afraid of offending people now.
Have you seen what people blow up at you for? Ridiculous!

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Sep 16, 2014 2:52 AM
Jul 2018
I am naturally shy (at first) IRL so I guess I would somehow adapt it OL but once I get to know the people/community, I can be a really shitty citizen who stares at cats and pretty people but are also scared of them.
Sep 16, 2014 6:55 AM

Apr 2009
I have been shy since I was old enough to remember

It used to be so bad that my mum had to sit in class with me until the second grade

I think I've naturally just got really low self confidence and that makes for me not really wanting to speak or put myself out much

But nowadays I've gained a bit more confidence..I think it just gets better with age
Sep 16, 2014 9:27 AM

Sep 2012
I've always been kinda a shy guy. I have a speech impediment that makes me very self conscious especially when it comes to speaking to girls I'm trying to impress. I try to be as outgoing and friendly as possible in all aspects of my life but I definitely like nights alone at my computer just putting away on the internet. Helps me relieve all the social anxiety. Basically my shyness steams from being self concious of the way i look, dress and speak.
Sep 16, 2014 9:30 AM

Mar 2012
I'm not really that shy.

I might appear shy at first because I mostly need a general opinion about someone before I actively start talking to this person. I don't want to leave a bad impression immediately.
Sep 16, 2014 10:04 AM

Apr 2014
Just because I lack the interest persons are looking for. So if they ignore you like you're not even breathing, it is simple.
But if someone is talking to me, I'm just a cynic shit.
I am a straight woman and I like boobs.
-Said no feminist ever
Sep 16, 2014 10:19 AM

Feb 2013
I don't like to offend people, and I usually say terrible things with my friends so it would be hard to just act that way with anyone. I can't with my family or strangers. I am always too careful in that regard
Sep 16, 2014 11:30 AM

Sep 2013
Well, in the past I used to be a lot more timid than I am now. Still, I have problems mostly with talking in public, but that's something I will have to overcome, since what I study in University requires that.
Sep 16, 2014 11:32 AM

Sep 2013
Social Anxiety Disorder

I'm surprised no one mentioned this as a catalyst for their shyness. As that is why I am shy.
Sep 16, 2014 11:32 AM

Jun 2010
People who are shy just need to talk to people more. c:
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Have you ever touched and/or kept any foreign currency(ies)?

Kiryotsu - Apr 29

34 by DreamWindow »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » banality of evil and milgram experiment

deg - May 9

44 by DreamWindow »»
15 minutes ago

» Why do Americans work

vasipi4946 - May 6

39 by DesuMaiden »»
20 minutes ago

» Do you record your thoughts down in a journal?

DesuMaiden - 8 hours ago

15 by Rhae »»
1 hour ago

» Whats's your favourite snack food?

Towaii7 - Mar 22

24 by DesuMaiden »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.