Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Black Butler
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Sep 11, 2014 10:54 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
That was glorious, a blaze of glory after the mansion burndown.

Too bad about Freckles. I actually liked him and thought he could of been Ciel's friend if they were on the same side. It was pretty intimidating the way Sebastian was talking to him with hard words like 'dead'. Overall a good season despite some fillerish moments (especially the first episode). I like how brutal the second half of the show got which sharply contrasted the first half. I'm also glad to see Ciel accept who he is. Good finish.

Can't wait for Book of Murder now.
Sep 11, 2014 12:04 PM

Dec 2009
Stark700 said:

Too bad about Freckles. I actually liked him and thought he could of been Ciel's friend if they were on the same side. It was pretty intimidating the way Sebastian was talking to him with hard words like 'dead'. Overall a good season despite some fillerish moments (especially the first episode). I like how brutal the second half of the show got which sharply contrasted the first half. I'm also glad to see Ciel accept who he is. Good finish.

It was nice ending for the series, I won't deny that despite all the fillers and alterations they put in.

All I can say is that Yana didn't lie on her blog when she said she hated the original dark ending and that they were changing it to a happier one. It was certainly a happier one though, it wasn't suppose to have been. Not much of one, but certainly happier.

Actually, Freckles is a girl. I don't know. I was never fond of Doll, and I actually cheered a little when she died in the original arc. Yeah it was, but that is another reason why I like Sebastian, he isn't afraid to say it as it is. Ciel is always so cute, even when he laughs at others, he is still cute.

Neither can I, but curse it only being two episodes. (Hopefully my cold will be far gone by the time this one airs. I hate having a cold. And it sucked that I had one during this..TT.)

P.S: Memorial day for those who lost their lives on this tragic day. Still weird how this show ended on it.
lovelyphantomSep 11, 2014 12:49 PM

Sep 11, 2014 12:20 PM

Mar 2012
lovelyphantom said:
Stark700 said:

It was nice ending for the series, I won't deny that despite all the fillers and alterations they put in.

All I can say is that Yana didn't lie on her blog when she said she hated the original dark ending and that they were changing it to a happier one. It was certainly a happier one though, it wasn't suppose to have been. Not much of one, but certainly happier.

Actually, Freckles is a girl. I don't know. I was never fond of Doll, and I actually cheered a little when she died in the original arc. Yeah it was, but that is another reason why I like Sebastian, he isn't afraid to say it as it is. Ciel is always so cute, even when he laughs at others, he is still cute.

Neither can I, but curse it only being two episodes. (Hopefully my cold will be far gone by the time this one airs. I hate having a cold. And it sucked that I had one during this..TT.)

P.S: Memorial day for those who lost their lives on this tragic day. Still weird how this show ended on it.

Sep 11, 2014 12:44 PM

Dec 2009
-ShadowClaw- said:
lovelyphantom said:

Sep 11, 2014 12:51 PM

Mar 2012
lovelyphantom said:
-ShadowClaw- said:

Well it could have been worse so it is not all bad, i cant wait to see book of murder, as it is another favorite arc of mine. i tought at first that as a 2 part ova it would not work out but after seeing so many filler scenes in this one, which is only 10 ep it is not surprising. they can actually do the same for the other story arcs, and make them as ovas as well. or fir them together to make a whole new tv series, either way i hope sooner or later the other story arcs get aniamted as well :)
Sep 11, 2014 12:52 PM

Jun 2014
I liked the ending, a lot of fillers but still really good.

I feel so bad for Snake. He doesn't deserve to be alone, I'm glad he survived though, he's always been my favorite.

Ciel is ruthless. I love this little brat.

I can't wait for Book of Murder & seeing all these characters in this episode made me even more excited.
Sep 11, 2014 1:11 PM

Apr 2008
Thought they did a really good job adapting this arc. Indeed a sad end to a funny, gruesome and emotionally charged part in the story - basically all the best of Kuroshitsuji!

Also some lovely VA performances but especially thought Mamo san was brilliant in the Joker voice overs this episode.

Really really looking forward to the Book of Murder OVAs!!!!
Sep 11, 2014 2:12 PM

Apr 2013
What an amazing episode. I felt so sad for Doll. I wantes ger to survive. Now who wete those two white haired guys? Did they mention name cause I didn't catch it. We got to see Joker and the other's past which were indeed sad. That's what poverty does. Humiliates the ppl. Kelvin might've been crazy but he got them out of East End. Ciel's laugh was hysterical but finally he accepts who he really is. The ending scene with all the performers was so sad or more actually touching. Damn I want more now! Bring Book of Murder to the ppl now!
A Story will always come to it's end. The thing is, will you move on after it's over?
Sep 11, 2014 2:56 PM

Nov 2007
Circus group's childhood. From the poor environment until that old guy adapted them. Conversation about Shinigami's jobs.

Cruel truth to the ex-roommate. Two knights... I saw the list to Book of Murder and they are exact casts to the new characters!! (Kimura-san and Maeno-san!) Visiting the places that they had nice time before creating curcus.

It also announced (scrolled) the release dates for 2 eps. of Book of Murder.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Sep 11, 2014 3:05 PM

Jul 2012
9/10

This was amazing.
Sep 11, 2014 3:21 PM

Dec 2011
Well I can see where the "I must respect father's wishes" part came from, but that doesn't make it right to do what they did to those little kids by kidnapping them and whatnot...

LOL, Spears and Knows with their interactions were really funny XD.

Ah, the fated reunion of Black, Smile and Freckles.

Ohoooo, Undertaker's eyes and I think those guys are the next important characters in the Book of Murder OVAs.

I was sure that Ciel was going to say that they burned those kids since there was no hope for them of ever returning back to normal.

Once again my intuition that the freaking place no longer existed/lied in ruins was spot on...

Erm... did Ciel just broke... XD

Dat ending T.T

All in all since they didn't show Sebastian actually kill Doll/Freckles I'll be in denial and say that they spared her by knocking her out or something, even though at the end their spirits were all reunited once again.

Snake... forever alone... T.T

I can't wait to see what the "Book of Murder" OVAs have in store for us :D!
"Let justice be done, though the heavens fall."
Sep 11, 2014 3:32 PM

Mar 2013
Majestic last episode. Book of Circus definitely didn't disappoint me. I still feel sorry for Joker, Beast, Dagger, Doll and the rest. Good job adapting this arc. I have no complains. 9/10
Sep 11, 2014 3:37 PM

May 2013
Great arc. I am kinda sad for Circus, mostly Joker. I wished that he atleast survive and guide the circus to a better life.... now to wait for the next arc..
Sep 11, 2014 4:10 PM

Dec 2012
Into the final episode I still don't think that A-1 is the right studio to animate this. The animation is a bit too stiff and lacks the feeling of the original.

This is however my 2nd favorite arc and I've enjoyed it quite a lot!

I was worried about the ending scene, but that was the point of brilliance I got from this season! It had me in tears in all the right ways. I am glad I watched.

Looking forward to The murder at Phantomhive manor!
The 2002 Tokyo Mew Mew adaptation is not as great as you remember it being.
Sep 11, 2014 4:14 PM
Jul 2013
Was absolutely brilliant hands down best ten episodes ever only bad thing about it is it being ten episodes.the first series had 24 and second had 12 (why is the number decreasing!!!). I can't wait for the murder arc but I am sad that they have just left it at that,as the manga is still going on and has a few arcs they can still do as well the other arcs contain a lot of character and story development as well as the art being really detailed and well carried out ...wow just realise how deep my my love for this anime is :P.But anyway main point adore the anime,hope they do more arcs if not I'm gonna get aload of fangirls that don't like the answer no :P.
FalseTruthsSep 11, 2014 4:17 PM
Sep 11, 2014 4:16 PM
Aug 2011
I just saw the manga pages, they did show the locket AND the eye, it actually followed quite closely... just sayin.

Holy fuck how did this go from "Wut another season of Black Butler? I'll probably skip that shit when it airs" to one of the most fulfilling adaptations of the season?

The last bit with the ribbon and the lovely music just got me and actually made me emotional. The tears were prickling my eyes.

The small conversation on the train and the last one on the ruins were great. Ciel is an extremely grounded character and completely aware of what he did and who he is.
Funny how when the two of them are standing there he looked more like the demon and Sebastian more like a human.

Crez said:
Into the final episode I still don't think that A-1 is the right studio to animate this. The animation is a bit too stiff and lacks the feeling of the original.

I don't think A-1 is the right studio to animate anything but alas... hey at least it's not Studio Pierrot!
Yea, some walking in particular during this episode looked quite weird and some faces were questionable but i've certainly seen worse so it doesn't really bother me.

I'm very pleased with show. Really enjoyed the tone it carried all the way throughout.
Certainly gave me sense of urgency from the start and the atmosphere progressively got heavier and it played out well (as in not losing its atmosphere) all the way to the end.

It's been a while since i've written my rating on the forums like this but my final rating is 8.5/10. Unsure if I should round up or down for MAL.
standSep 11, 2014 4:34 PM
Sep 11, 2014 4:17 PM

Dec 2013
I am so grateful for this episode. It was so close to the manga, and the bit at the end that was added was great and made me cry.

I just read the manga, and I didn't notice anything that was much of a filler (in this episode, anyway). I was very satisfied with the way they ended this arc.

Can't wait for Book of Murder. I don't think that it will be rushed; it certainly doesn't have enough content to make an entire season out of it.
Sep 11, 2014 4:27 PM
Apr 2013
That was a fantastic conclusion. I really liked the bit A-1 added to the end.

There were a lot of good scenes in this episode, but my favorite definitely was Ciel's "I am a human being!" speech. It's pretty rare when we get such a clear view into his mind, like that and Maaya Sakamoto did a really good job. And Sebastian's response was just as interesting.

Next up is the Book of Murder. And hopefully we get a chance to see the next arc animated as well. 9/10.
MCALSep 11, 2014 4:38 PM
Sep 11, 2014 4:28 PM

Feb 2011
And so, it's over. Book of Murder now.
But who knows when we will get another season :'( I'll definitely miss this anime.
Sep 11, 2014 4:32 PM

Feb 2012
"Unlike demons, you're base, you harbor a complicated malice, you lie... You struggle desperately, knocking down others on your way... You steal and are stolen from, you make endless excuses. And still you strive to get over the hill and far away... That's why I find humans so interesting." - Sebastian Michaelis

This Arc has broke my heart, but I glad I have watched it.
10/10.
Sep 11, 2014 4:44 PM

Nov 2007
That was really heart wrenching...look at all my tears:/

aww man,i am sad it ended...it was so well done.
Sep 11, 2014 5:00 PM
Jun 2014
Stark700 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------

I miss this season.. :'( Book of Murder is very bad.. :(
Nex for OVA seasons..
Roseanne Maceda
Sep 11, 2014 5:26 PM
Feb 2014
Great adaptation of Circus arc. Snake's words about loneliness were very sad and realistic. Loved him like a character, but in the beginning I thought that he is more essential.
Ciel is really an extraordinary person and who knows what other mysteries and evil are hiding in his soul...
Sebastian is loooove! (Grell's voice :D)
(as usual ;))
Sep 11, 2014 5:36 PM

Jan 2014
And the saddest death of the series actually took place. DANG IT. I swear that was saddening to watch, poor Doll. And it really is mindblowing to see how corrupted Ciel is, so much that he won't even deny it.

And
Sep 11, 2014 5:41 PM

Dec 2009
And thus, Book of Circus has come to an end. 9/10.

Even though I knew they were the "villains" of this season, I couldn't avoid shed some tears at the end when Joker and the others appeared. Great characters, especially Joker and Doll/Freckles.

Cant wait for Book of Murder.
Sep 11, 2014 5:42 PM

Jul 2010
Those flashbacks made it harder :O
A lawn mower as a death scythe o.o
Ciel might be punished by the queen!
The workshop being gone a long time and the group didn't even know.
Sebastian saying he haven't met a human like that, can't believe I smiled a little from that in this episode.
Ciel at the end and the ribbon :/
That was quite the season! Have to say that I've been made a fan after seeing this. Looking forward to the OVA!
Sep 11, 2014 5:53 PM
Jun 2010
Wow, that was the best ending in quite awhile. The anime itself was just so-so though.
Sep 11, 2014 6:04 PM

Sep 2010
Does snake survive in the manga as well..? I read it a couple years ago so I don't really remember but I'm glad he survives. Doll is extremely annoying and I was never a fan of her... Her death also wasn't very sad. Maybe it's cause they skipped the actually killing part.

Overall a 10/10. Really loved this arc, and they adapted it really well.
Sep 11, 2014 6:08 PM

Apr 2013
Man that ending had me on the verge of tear because they basically died for nothing. This season was way better than the other ones. I'm about to go read the manga now.
Sep 11, 2014 6:17 PM
Nov 2013
At first i wasn't excited to see this but now it's something else.
good thing i gave it a try.
Sep 11, 2014 6:43 PM

Jan 2014
That was a fantastic series. I will admit, I wasn't too much of a fan of season 1. I found it a bit boring at times. Book of circus though, wow did it change my mind on the series. Definitely an amazing watch. I can't wait for Book of Murder!
Sep 11, 2014 6:48 PM

Jul 2009
Wow that was sad. Poor Cirus Troupe. But you weep what you sow right?

And since I don't like Doll much I'm gonna throw her under the bus here. I laughed at how she could yell at Ciel that he was lying to her all along when she herself was lying too! Hyprocrite much! Ciel--or Smile--thought you all were just circus entertainers but you were actually kidnappers and murders! Psh and you have the nerve to yell at him for lying.

But wow biggest villain here is Kelvin. That little shit. Those poor kids man.
Sep 11, 2014 6:59 PM

Dec 2012
At least Ciel kind of justified his previous action. Great episode. I hope we get another season. 9/10
Sep 11, 2014 7:21 PM

Feb 2014
I'm glad they did this series so well :) to do the manga justice.

Kind of sad another season has come to an end but I can't wait to see Book of Murder :)

Was sad to see Doll die, I think her and Ciel could have been friends. But eh? :3

9/10
Sep 11, 2014 7:35 PM

Apr 2007
For some reason I never expected Phipps to have the same hair color as Grey. Thought it would be darker .-.

Anyway overall I'm very happy with this adaptation, and just happy in general that they finally did it right. The little bit they added at the end was beautiful too. Loved the music. Hopefully some of the animation is fixed on them blu-rays though. I'm interested in buying this when it's released, but ugh.
Sep 11, 2014 9:04 PM

Jul 2014
Not fair... to make me pity them just like that, with just some flashbacks. And for Joker to have the same birthday as me. How NOT TO sympathize with him? And I kinda pity Doll, but not much. Asking if everything what Ciel said was a lie... But what about her? She lied as much. But I DO pity her, because she showed hesitation... though that was not enough. Too bad...

Undertaker... That scene... Can we hope for another arc (meaning another season, not just Book of Murder) being animated? And those three white haired... they remind me of Ash and Angela (please don't hate me). And Snake... I don't remember the manga, and it wasn't showed here, but was he involved in the kidnappings and killings?

Sebastian: "I couldn't get a third-class ticket on such short notice. I apologize for sharing your first-class compartment, young master". What? What are you talking about, Sebastian? When did Ciel travel alone?

At the end there, I thought: "Ciel lost it.", but it's way more complicated. He hates himself, doesn't he? Even for being alive? For being a human? For being Ciel Phantomhive?

FatefulLove said:

Ummm, can someone please explain what was that? Maybe my english is bad, maybe my subs were bad, but I didn't really catch what were they doing there? What were they looking for? What the circus troupe knew about that place?
Sep 11, 2014 9:33 PM

Jul 2013
it was a really good ending to a great show and it gave me a lot to think about. the piano playing at the end was powerful.

the only problem i had with this show was the animation during some parts. for example, in this episode animation of some of the faces and when ciel was riding the carriage were awkward
Sep 11, 2014 9:51 PM

Jun 2014
I haven't read the manga, but I have to say this story arc was AMAZING! Definitely 9/10!

I was sad to see Doll die, but the ending where they all united in the sky was very emotional!

I loved Sebastian's quote at the end too - "Unlike demons, you're base, you harbor a complicated malice, you lie... You struggle desperately, knocking down others on your way... You steal and are stolen from, you make endless excuses. And still you strive to get over the hill and far away... That's why I find humans so interesting." - Sebastian Michaelis

So very true!

Can't wait for Book of Murders OVA to air
So glad that I'm not a huge manga reader, because the manga readers WHINE WAY TOO MUCH and have to RUIN every adapted anime for the ANIME ONLY WATCHERS!
Sep 11, 2014 9:57 PM

Aug 2014
Adellaeda said:
FatefulLove said:

Ummm, can someone please explain what was that? Maybe my english is bad, maybe my subs were bad, but I didn't really catch what were they doing there? What were they looking for? What the circus troupe knew about that place?

The troupe thought their "father" was still taking care of some kids there. Turned out, he had them turned into prosthetics long ago. Ciel wanted to go there and visit the kids for sentimental reasons after destroying the troupe, but the workshop was long gone and kids dead. Dramatic quotes ensue, leading into ending.
Sieg Zeon!
Sep 11, 2014 10:11 PM

Jul 2014
Seeing this amazing arc animated was super exciting and worth waiting for. I like how they made the ending more bittersweet than the manga version. I actually felt sadder than when I read the manga. T_T Overall I'm happy they didn't throw in too many fillers and additional stuff like season 1.
Except I didn't imagine Snake making different voices when talking.

Can't wait for Book of Murder!!

Can someone explain a little about Sebastian's quote though? I have a brief but not too clear idea of the meaning behind it. ~__~
Sep 11, 2014 10:18 PM

Aug 2014
momotarouu said:
Can someone explain a little about Sebastian's quote though? I have a brief but not too clear idea of the meaning behind it. ~__~

Something like [humans are interesting because they're flawed and fucked up in their own way].
Sieg Zeon!
Sep 11, 2014 10:21 PM

Aug 2008
Damn, this was extraordinary! I loved this season.

Poor Doll. I really liked her (or him); I wish Doll would live. Snake on the other hand... not so much. He creeps me out. I kinda wish he had died instead of Doll.

That final scene, though... it really tugged at my heart for some reason. It was just so sad to see that Joker and the others were lied to from the very beginning.

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.
Sep 11, 2014 10:44 PM

Mar 2012
This is what Black Butler II was supposed to be.
Sep 11, 2014 11:06 PM

Jul 2014
PencilSharpener said:
The troupe thought their "father" was still taking care of some kids there. Turned out, he had them turned into prosthetics long ago. Ciel wanted to go there and visit the kids for sentimental reasons after destroying the troupe, but the workshop was long gone and kids dead. Dramatic quotes ensue, leading into ending.

Oh, thanks. First I thought that Joker was lying altogether, about "father" saving them. But in this case, Doll's flashbacks wouldn't make sense. Then I thought Joker knew that the kids were long dead, because he didn't seem very surprised when the "father" made the kids "entertain" them, and let them die like it was an everyday thing. But then his sudden concern about the kids seemed misplaced.

Or by "We have lots of brothers and sisters back at the workhouse who are still young", he meant other kids with disabilities, that have nothing to do with the kidnapped kids? Because if it so, then I despise him even more. Ready to protect with his own live some kids, and bringing others to be treated like livestock and ready to murder them without restrain...
Sep 11, 2014 11:10 PM
Jun 2014
What a great ending...
Although a part of me didn't want the circus to have to die.
I feel bad for them <3 Joker. Well at least Snake is alive.
Mmmmm... Ciel realizing he's true self- what I love about him.
I'll miss this anime and can't wait for the ova!
Sep 12, 2014 12:03 AM

Sep 2010
Best season of Kuroshitsuji since it actually followed the manga excluding the first episode, but it was written by the mangaka herself so its technically canon.

8/10 it was more emotional than the manga since the seiyuu and OST brought the flashbacks of Joker and the gang to life
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Sep 12, 2014 1:09 AM

Aug 2010
Dude that piano piece was so good.. it really tied in all the emotions pretty well.
Overall, I'm sooo impressed with how this went. It mostly followed the manga and ugh it was just to great to see all of this animated!
xSimplicitySep 12, 2014 1:30 AM
Sep 12, 2014 2:44 AM

Jan 2014
Such a satisfying ending, even though they all died. Being together in the afterlife and far away from that horrible life they had been suffering through. First i thought that Ciel was so mean to kill all the children in the mansion, but again... he knew better than anyone, that being in such torture chamber and going through that much suffering and recover, would be impossible, at least in that timeline.

AWESOME addition to the anime!
Next up is Book of murder ^^
Sep 12, 2014 3:13 AM

Apr 2013
Decent ending to the show, they put quite a bit in that wasn't in the manga though, and didn't animate the part i actually wanted to see. Liked the flashbacks of Joker and the rest though, glad Snake is still alive, he's my favorite.

TravSavage said:
This is what Black Butler II was supposed to be.
Sep 12, 2014 3:40 AM

Mar 2012
Way better than the original.
still waiting for Book of Murder.
Do you play Azure Lane?
Then please join my fanclub
https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=74907
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji: Book of Circus Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 10, 2014

154 by Apratim »»
Apr 23, 12:31 PM

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji: Book of Circus Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2014

130 by Elyshion »»
Apr 6, 3:02 PM

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji: Book of Circus Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 28, 2014

97 by Elyshion »»
Apr 6, 3:01 PM

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji: Book of Circus Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 21, 2014

78 by Elyshion »»
Apr 6, 2:05 PM

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji: Book of Circus Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 14, 2014

92 by Elyshion »»
Apr 6, 9:58 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.