Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 7, 2014 1:59 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Still a pretty intense match. There were a lot of overemphasis on Eiirchou's notes including graphs now. The overall match was alright I guess. The development was decent except that finish.

We also see some of the other seeds competing as well. Hmm, Natsu..

Only 2 more episodes left...
Stark700Sep 7, 2014 10:44 AM
Sep 7, 2014 3:33 AM

Jan 2011
It's just too early for Ei-chan to be able to deal with Nabae-kun at this point. But the rematch will probably be near the end of the next season after this and that happens to help him improve his game. I loved this season, but the tennis and other developments are even better from here on in. That final shot of Natsu-chan making the return really made the whole episode--you'd better cheer her on Ei-chan.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Sep 7, 2014 5:00 AM

Nov 2013
rodac said:
But the rematch will probably be near the end of the next season after this and that happens to help him improve his game. I loved this season, but the tennis and other developments are even better from here on in. That final shot of Natsu-chan making the return really made the whole episode--you'd better cheer her on Ei-chan.

Implying this will get a season two? I'm genuinely hoping for it but judging by the amount of finance this series didn't get I wouldn't hope too much.

Also Nat-chan in trouble? D:
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Sep 7, 2014 5:58 AM

Apr 2012
It would be a shame if this show didn't return at a later date.
Sep 7, 2014 6:32 AM

Apr 2010
There is still way too much left to cover from the manga. Most likely this will get a season 2 if it was popular enough in the sales.

Baby Steps is the best tennis anime, prefer it vastly more than prince of tennis.
Sep 7, 2014 8:10 AM

Jun 2014
It was an okay episode for me. I dont know but I kind of expected more from Ei-chan. I hope baby steps get another season too.

Team Blackbeard||Hot Seat Thread||-主人-様 <3||DIE
Sep 7, 2014 8:12 AM

May 2013
That unlucky call that Eiichiro got to end the match there. Looks like Natsu is in trouble with her match.
Sep 7, 2014 9:08 AM

Jul 2011
Vandesdelca said:
Baby Steps is the best tennis anime, prefer it vastly more than prince of tennis.

Well, that's not something you can really compare it to. Baby Steps is one of the best character development series. It's not a power-up shounen type where he gets defeated, trains, and wins. Ei-chan improves during matches, he knows his limits and that he can improve. He went from not knowing anything about tennis and non-athletic to being able to score points off Nabae. I can definitely see him improving from here on in, but I really doubt it'll get another season.

Actually, I'm glad they adapted it as a 2-cour. This show lived up to my expectations except the animation. I get excited seeing how Ei-chan struggles and improves through matches, and how he realistically (at hard-working genius born with potential level) becomes a better player.

Skip Natsu. I want to see more of Ei-chan improving.
Sep 7, 2014 9:35 AM
Oct 2010
Hmm, time for some anime original stuff? I don't remember this.
Sep 7, 2014 9:45 AM

Aug 2013
Why this has a 7.66 score and Haikyuu has 8.55 I will never understand. Are people drawn in by flashy animation only and some sad back stories that are resolved with the "power of team work"?

Pftt I'd like to know the average age of MAL. I bet it's like, 14 or something. That would explain it...
Sep 7, 2014 10:44 AM

Nov 2011
gregthemaniac said:
Hmm, time for some anime original stuff? I don't remember this.

They mentioned that the anime would get anime original material in a news awhile ago.
Sep 7, 2014 11:02 AM
Feb 2014
Vexper said:
Implying this will get a season two? I'm genuinely hoping for it but judging by the amount of finance this series didn't get I wouldn't hope too much.

remember last season log horizon? the animation level probably same with this one if not a little bit better, but we got season 2 log horizon after this one end. from 3 NHK anime i watched maybe the best animation quality was bakuman by JC staff. anyone know what NHK spring 2015 anime? my prediction this'll back that season after log horizon 2 if nothing already planned for that season

what volume in the manga this episode? that result shocked me after all that effort

for haikyuu, don't know the story, dropped after few eps, don't like some of the art style, and the MC is too noisy for me
Sep 7, 2014 11:20 AM

Jan 2011
Vexper said:
rodac said:
But the rematch will probably be near the end of the next season after this and that happens to help him improve his game. I loved this season, but the tennis and other developments are even better from here on in. That final shot of Natsu-chan making the return really made the whole episode--you'd better cheer her on Ei-chan.

You have to remember that this is an NHK series so the usual financing equations don't apply. The story line in Baby Steps fits into their mandate as a public broadcaster so we'll probably see a second season which is the good news. The bad news is that while it will be financed, it probably won't have enough money to dazzle us with the quality of the animation.

edit: Dang, ninja'd on the NHK comment... We're at chapter 67 in the manga with this episode. Currently there are over 200 chapters in the ongoing manga so there is lots of material and some very interesting arcs to come. Also, keep note of the strong players we see here because Ei-chan will be competing against them for some time as he refines his tennis skills.
rodacSep 7, 2014 11:33 AM
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Sep 7, 2014 11:28 AM
Jul 2018
The match was pretty intense. Too bad, Eiirchou had lost the match against Nabae.

Natsu has some troubles with her match!
Sep 7, 2014 2:02 PM

Jan 2013
Great episode, Eiichirou lost by quite a bit.
Sep 7, 2014 2:58 PM

Oct 2013
Yeah there will always be miscalls like that in any sport. Sucks
Sep 7, 2014 3:26 PM

Jul 2014
Vandesdelca said:
There is still way too much left to cover from the manga. Most likely this will get a season 2 if it was popular enough in the sales.

The sales are astronomically bad. The 1st volume didn't even chart, and the cut-off line was 164, which means it sold less than 164 copies.
Sep 7, 2014 3:27 PM

Aug 2009
I'm pissed. SO Nabae knew the ball was in and didn't say a word? Ok sure it wouldn't have worked in his favor but where was the sportsmanship. That's so unfair. He could have protested as well making it more difficult to judge as out. Actually there were some other balls I didn't think were out as well. Ugh. it pisses me off when unfair shit like this happens. Sure Ei-chan wasn't going to win. That's fine, I can accept that, but to lose in such a way truly and utterly frustrates me.

rasenshiruken973 said:
Why this has a 7.66 score and Haikyuu has 8.55 I will never understand. Are people drawn in by flashy animation only and some sad back stories that are resolved with the "power of team work"?

Pftt I'd like to know the average age of MAL. I bet it's like, 14 or something. That would explain it...

I will never understand those who compare sports anime. They are completely different in various ways. Why bring up Haikyu in a Baby Steps forum? It's super annoying and utterly pathetic. They have absolutely nothing to do with one another except being aired at the same time. It's more plausible to compare Baby Steps to Prince of Tennis, atleast it's the same sport. I'm an adult, I am 22 and I love both Haikyu and Baby Steps. Just because something is "flashy" doesn't mean it lacks in quality in anyway. How about refraining from such narrow-mindedness in the future and keep the forums actually on topic.
lovexLuffySep 9, 2014 12:04 AM

Sep 7, 2014 3:35 PM

Mar 2012
Lol he lost already? Seriously? ._.

Awesome episode though.
Sep 7, 2014 6:37 PM

Aug 2013
It's Ei-chan's turn to give Nat-chan a love power boost! :D
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Sep 7, 2014 8:08 PM

Mar 2008
Nah this isn't anime original. This episode covers chapter 64 through page 9 of chapter 67. Looks like Aoi Ryuhei will make an appearance next episode.

Also I have been re-watching Bakuman. It gives me hope that NHK will announce a second season at the end of this season like they did with Bakuman.
Sep 7, 2014 8:20 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Ei-chan :( Bet umpire only said out cuz he wanted to cut the game short because of the long rallies. Really sucks for Ei-chan, who was 100% sure it would be in. As if it wasn't already bad luck enough to get Nabae as his first opponent! But I'm glad his mental fortitude is strong, as Nabae gave him an A. After despairing a little over his loss, he immediately went back to taking notes on other players. It's kind of funny watching him and Nabae's interactions ^^
Sep 7, 2014 8:46 PM
Jul 2012
rodac said:
Vexper said:

You have to remember that this is an NHK series so the usual financing equations don't apply. The story line in Baby Steps fits into their mandate as a public broadcaster so we'll probably see a second season which is the good news. The bad news is that while it will be financed, it probably won't have enough money to dazzle us with the quality of the animation.

edit: Dang, ninja'd on the NHK comment... We're at chapter 67 in the manga with this episode. Currently there are over 200 chapters in the ongoing manga so there is lots of material and some very interesting arcs to come. Also, keep note of the strong players we see here because Ei-chan will be competing against them for some time as he refines his tennis skills.
actually over 300 but what you said was technically still correct.
Sep 7, 2014 9:35 PM

Mar 2010
i really don't like the anti-climactic end to the match, they built up the tension and it felt annoying for it to end like that, not enjoyable in the least.
Sep 8, 2014 12:28 AM
Aug 2011
bad calls are bad

rasenshiruken973 said:

Above "flashy amination and sad backstories" Haikyuu!! has some wonderful character interactions with their own team and their rivals.
Stop your skewed sense of comparison, it seriously hurts my brain.
You're at the same level or even below as that idiot that kept comparing Haikyuu to Kuroko Basket.
standSep 8, 2014 12:38 AM
Sep 8, 2014 3:39 AM

Feb 2013
Huh makes sense Maruo didn't win he doesn't have the skill level to win against Nabae Just yet. Although with only 2 episodes left im wondering how they'll end the anime. it'd be nice if a second season were to happen, as I've rather enjoyed the series so far.
Seems next episode the one issue i had with this anime will be fixed, which was
Nat-chans skill in tennis as you see her dedication often you never really see her Skill at it.
Argue? Nah Too lazy For That...
Are You Ready!~Gulcasa
Sep 8, 2014 6:38 AM

Aug 2013
Another good episode,it was nice to see the others players and I really like how the athor deals and develops the relationship between Maruo and Natsu.
Sep 8, 2014 8:38 AM

Nov 2010
great episode. that umpire though ... !

Ugh, i hope we get the second season. such a great anime. :|
Sep 8, 2014 8:56 AM

Aug 2014
parfaited said:
bad calls are bad

rasenshiruken973 said:

Above "flashy amination and sad backstories" Haikyuu!! has some wonderful character interactions with their own team and their rivals.
You're at the same level or even below as that idiot that kept comparing Haikyuu to Kuroko Basket.

Two sports anime being aired at the same time, and both portraying the sport in a realistic way, without "superpowers" like Kuroko? I can't help but agree with him about the comparison. Although I'm watching both animes and like them, this score difference is almost absurd. Yeah Baby Steps animation is worse, but story wise, Baby Steps > Haikyuu.

And not only that, but anyone who is reading the manga probably agree with me: all matches played until now pales in comparison with the matches covered later in the manga, when Maruo reaches similar ability level of the others, so a second season would be way better than the first.
Sep 8, 2014 9:36 AM

Nov 2010
It got quite a drag bringing in the numbers and the umpire wanted to get his coffee break quickly
The pro tennis with their point challange would have changed the momentum for Eiichiro
I'm glad he got his defeat in the end and chance to learn from the match and other ones by spectating

Nabae probably fears his next encounter with Eiichiro next time by judging his potential

Fanservice match coming from Nat chan next?
Sep 8, 2014 3:29 PM

Mar 2009
rasenshiruken973 said:

Because Haikyuu's a good show, too.
Sep 8, 2014 8:13 PM

Sep 2011
I just knew that umpire was gonna fuck up at a crucial moment. Eiichirou didn't make it easy for him with his risky moves, I know, but that was shitty. And now Takasaki is having it tough, really hope she wins that.

Only now I realized how close we are to the end, wow. 2 episodes... I'm gonna miss this so much.
Sep 9, 2014 7:03 AM
Jan 2013
Kfier said:
parfaited said:
bad calls are bad

Two sports anime being aired at the same time, and both portraying the sport in a realistic way, without "superpowers" like Kuroko? I can't help but agree with him about the comparison. Although I'm watching both animes and like them, this score difference is almost absurd. Yeah Baby Steps animation is worse, but story wise, Baby Steps > Haikyuu.

And not only that, but anyone who is reading the manga probably agree with me: all matches played until now pales in comparison with the matches covered later in the manga, when Maruo reaches similar ability level of the others, so a second season would be way better than the first.

What I hate about Haikyuu! is that, yeah, they don't have a Superpower, but the words and phrases they use are unrealistic sometimes. Do you even say "OH THERE'S A BIG WALL BEHIND THE NET", "OH HIS EYES ARE LIKE AN EAGLE", "OH THEIR AURA IS ON FIRE", etc. during a match? These magical words are irritating sometimes, it's too magical to use. Unlike Baby steps there's no such thing as Magical words, all were portrayed in realistic way. That's why in every release of these 2 anime each week, I get more excited in Baby Steps rather than Haikyuu despite Baby steps have a sucking animation.
ANIME>Disney
Sep 9, 2014 2:09 PM

Nov 2007
I have a question - Baby steps only has 2 episodes left , the next episode has to do with natsu.. so then , does it mean it'll only have one episode for the character we see maruo dueling agaisnst in the opening we see for the last 23 episodes ?!? DOES it even make sense ?!?><
[/url]
Sep 9, 2014 11:13 PM

Aug 2014
rukia_chan said:
I have a question - Baby steps only has 2 episodes left , the next episode has to do with natsu.. so then , does it mean it'll only have one episode for the character we see maruo dueling agaisnst in the opening we see for the last 23 episodes ?!? DOES it even make sense ?!?><

In the manga, that guy at the opening was not introduced, at least until the last translated chapter, but the english translation is almost 100 chapters behind (the manga already got past 300 chapters), so I don't know if he is introduced later on the story, or if he's just a made up character just for the opening.

I just hope they make a second season, because as I said before, the story gets really better from this point.
Sep 10, 2014 11:43 AM

Jul 2013
Kfier said:

I really wouldn't call Haikyuu realistic since the majority of high school "boys" on that show act like a middle school girl with insecurities and over-dramatization of their problems.

I can understand why Haikyuu appeals more to the wider audience though since it's basically a simplistic shounen with lots of feel good moments. Younger boys would think "oh that was so cool" and stuffs like that while Baby Steps force you to think (personally I can't read more than a few chapters of the manga during a match due to information and strategy overload and had to rest for a while before reading again) and the progress is so slow compared to the instant gratification that series like Haikyuu provide. There's also way less shouting, no taunting between opponents, no overly emotional moments of friendships or whatever. I'd say Haikyuu is like Fairy Tail, which currently is at 8.53 despite being a bad adaption of the manga and just a very average anime overall.

That being said imo story-wise, Baby Steps is the best sports manga/anime since Slam Dunk. The 2nd season, if they ever make one, would cover some of the most interesting moments from the manga. From the best quote in the entire manga to the opening song's title finally making sense to Ei-chan and Natsu's relationship development. It'll be a HUGE crime if this never get a 2nd season.
Sep 10, 2014 1:38 PM

Nov 2007
Kfier said:
rukia_chan said:

In the manga, that guy at the opening was not introduced, at least until the last translated chapter, but the english translation is almost 100 chapters behind (the manga already got past 300 chapters), so I don't know if he is introduced later on the story, or if he's just a made up character just for the opening.

Oh man. just a made up character for the opening ?! that's really unfair! it looks like a totally awesome tennis showdown and I really waited to see it :/ ..
Thanks for the answer though ! ...

I just hope they make a second season, because as I said before, the story gets really better from this point.
[/url]
Sep 10, 2014 8:03 PM

Aug 2014
MoeGod said:
I really wouldn't call Haikyuu realistic since the majority of high school "boys" on that show act like a middle school girl with insecurities and over-dramatization of their problems.

I can understand why Haikyuu appeals more to the wider audience though since it's basically a simplistic shounen with lots of feel good moments. Younger boys would think "oh that was so cool" and stuffs like that while Baby Steps force you to think (personally I can't read more than a few chapters of the manga during a match due to information and strategy overload and had to rest for a while before reading again) and the progress is so slow compared to the instant gratification that series like Haikyuu provide. There's also way less shouting, no taunting between opponents, no overly emotional moments of friendships or whatever. I'd say Haikyuu is like Fairy Tail, which currently is at 8.53 despite being a bad adaption of the manga and just a very average anime overall.

That being said imo story-wise, Baby Steps is the best sports manga/anime since Slam Dunk. The 2nd season, if they ever make one, would cover some of the most interesting moments from the manga. From the best quote in the entire manga to the opening song's title finally making sense to Ei-chan and Natsu's relationship development. It'll be a HUGE crime if this never get a 2nd season.

Yeah, you have a point, they really over-dramatize everything to appeal more to the audience (like coffeeworld said above, those "magical words"). But I still don't think I can call it unrealistic as there's no superpowers like Kuroko or laws of physics being broken like Prince of Tennis (or like that signature of yours LOL), although in PoT case, if I remember correctly, most (maybe all) of the moves were based on real-world tennis moves, but they were SO over exaggerating it wasn't even funny.

And another point about Baby Steps, I may be saying bullsh** here as I've never played tennis and I'm not really knowledgeable about it, but I read some comments saying that Maruo's development is unrealistic. After playing for just over a year he can beat players that have been playing for much longer (some of then since childhood), and in the story is clearly said that Maruo isn't some kind of sports genius (like Ike Souji or Takuma), with his only physical quality being his eyes. So even taking into consideration his amazing strategic thinking and diligent work, to me it really seems impossible for him to develop that fast. As I said I'm not that knowledgeable about tennis, so fell free to correct me if I'm wrong about this.
KfierSep 10, 2014 8:07 PM
Sep 10, 2014 10:23 PM

Jul 2013
Kfier said:

And another point about Baby Steps, I may be saying bullsh** here as I've never played tennis and I'm not really knowledgeable about it, but I read some comments saying that Maruo's development is unrealistic. After playing for just over a year he can beat players that have been playing for much longer (some of then since childhood), and in the story is clearly said that Maruo isn't some kind of sports genius (like Ike Souji or Takuma), with his only physical quality being his eyes. So even taking into consideration his amazing strategic thinking and diligent work, to me it really seems impossible for him to develop that fast. As I said I'm not that knowledgeable about tennis, so fell free to correct me if I'm wrong about this.

But Maruo is a genius, although not on the level of Ike Souji or Takuma who are prodigies. I don't think there's any other way to describe him since in the manga even Takuma & Nabae are wary of his fast progress. You also need to account his tenacious hard work since he practices even harder than Natsu and Takuma. In the manga the fact that he started late is also a continuous point of struggle and was brought up many times. In fact all his training from here on is based on the fact that he started late. There's also the case of Ike who started later than Takuma & Natsu yet managed to surpass them quickly.

As for Maruo's physical quality, from the beginning he already has decent stamina and then molded into an athlete physique by the coach's hellish training (which will continue even after this). Even right now Nabae has already given his physical ability a B, right? that's already on par with most decent players like Ide & Miyagawa (the author rated all of them 3 stars on physique while some like Iwasa even got only 1 star).
Add that with his natural ability to use control better than most people, to say Maruo doesn't have latent tennis ability is just wrong. He's definitely more talented than most players in the series bar some of the best players.

Just for comparison, Miyagawa who has played tennis all his life isn't as naturally talented as Maruo and can only master base strokes so him being defeated by Maruo isn't that far-fetched. Iwasa is probably just as talented but he was more concerned with drawing than playing tennis. Most of his victory against the good players were achieved either by very close victory or some luck. Tbh the story itself could be quite frustrating since
Sep 11, 2014 3:28 AM

Aug 2014
MoeGod said:
But Maruo is a genius, although not on the level of Ike Souji or Takuma who are prodigies. I don't think there's any other way to describe him since in the manga even Takuma & Nabae are wary of his fast progress. You also need to account his tenacious hard work since he practices even harder than Natsu and Takuma. In the manga the fact that he started late is also a continuous point of struggle and was brought up many times. In fact all his training from here on is based on the fact that he started late. There's also the case of Ike who started later than Takuma & Natsu yet managed to surpass them quickly.

As for Maruo's physical quality, from the beginning he already has decent stamina and then molded into an athlete physique by the coach's hellish training (which will continue even after this). Even right now Nabae has already given his physical ability a B, right? that's already on par with most decent players like Ide & Miyagawa (the author rated all of them 3 stars on physique while some like Iwasa even got only 1 star).
Add that with his natural ability to use control better than most people, to say Maruo doesn't have latent tennis ability is just wrong. He's definitely more talented than most players in the series bar some of the best players.

Just for comparison, Miyagawa who has played tennis all his life isn't as naturally talented as Maruo and can only master base strokes so him being defeated by Maruo isn't that far-fetched. Iwasa is probably just as talented but he was more concerned with drawing than playing tennis. Most of his victory against the good players were achieved either by very close victory or some luck. Tbh the story itself could be quite frustrating since

While I agree with many of the things you said, I still see some problems:
1- Maruo didn't have so much stamina at the beginning, the reason he started tennis was because he knew that he lacked exercise, so you can tell that he began from scratch, and started building up power and stamina from there.
2- Even with diligent and non-stop training, he still had one major problem: TIME. For the most part of his first year playing (I can't remember exactly how many months), he had a tight schedule and too little time for training, until the episode where he asks his mom to stop cram school. And the "hellish training" begins after one year when he decides to go pro and get his parents permission to focus solely on tennis. So I can conclude that his "real" training begins only after one year.

If he had time to focus solely on tennis since the beginning I'd have a different opinion, but he didn't, so this is what made me think that his development seems unrealistic.
Sep 11, 2014 4:25 AM

Dec 2011
I already got used to seeing Ei-chan lose so I can only wait for him to actually win the tournament next time when it's going to be held.
"Let justice be done, though the heavens fall."
Sep 16, 2014 3:09 PM

Jul 2012
that friggin umpire :(

i'm glad they're introducing more potential rivals and opponents. it means that the manga will go on longer and we'll have more (realistic) tennis matches in baby steps!

MoeGod said:
I'd say Haikyuu is like Fairy Tail, which currently is at 8.53 despite being a bad adaption of the manga and just a very average anime overall.

Ew, Fairy Tail is nowhere as good as Haikyuu!!.
Sep 28, 2014 4:39 PM

Mar 2008
rasenshiruken973 said:

hahaha this
if it was me, i'll probably switch the scores around
Dec 23, 2014 1:51 PM
Aug 2014
Not really sure why it's called x-square strategy; all he did was keep trying to hit the ball in the corner of the baseline and single sideline.
Feb 10, 2015 3:40 PM

Jun 2014
What do you mean the umpire is only human, I could see the ball go in just from the anime.

eternaltorture said:
rasenshiruken973 said:

hahaha this
if it was me, i'll probably switch the scores around

There are also numerous of alt accounts that are designed to either raise or lower scores. There is forum topic to report illegitimate accounts:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=245618

Aug 28, 2015 2:25 PM

Dec 2014
the name perfectly suits ''BABY STEPS'' i mean all those training,still nothing. i v just expected more :P
Sep 7, 2015 4:41 AM

Jun 2014
Baby Steps is going to get many more seasons i think. The manga is doing great and still going at close to 300 chaps i believe, or more, and the anime hasn't covered the half of it.

It they keep going with this rate there will probably be a 3rd and 4th season.

Who can't like Baby Steps :o
Mar 2, 2016 6:45 AM

Aug 2013
This is unexpected.. what's wrong with Nat-chan ?
Apr 16, 2016 7:06 AM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
And the umpire messes up?

They don't lie with the name Baby Steps, imagine if Maruo would have won the match vs Nabae, #1 seed I believe, it would have been a big step forward.

Okada savage. He easily beats the STC player, his attitude is a bit annoying.

Jan 28, 2018 11:02 AM

Jun 2016
What an incredible match!!! Maruo gets a head start due to Nabae underestimating him, but Nabae soon catches up. He realizes that Maruo is a consistent, straight forward, and fundamental player. Due to this realization he knows exactly what he'll do, the straight forward, good option, and he counters it every time. Maruo can't keep up so he tries to manage to find some weakness in Nabae's game, somewhere he can beat him out and he forces one volley contest. It ends up going phenomenally, but Nabae being a smarty prevents this from occurring again. And what happens, well Maruo realizing he can't win through a new strategy against someone of the caliber of Nabae tries to strengthen a simple side of him creating his presumed future specialty. That is, by creating his pinpoint accurate aggressive control. However, Nabae realizing that he can't make a comeback with such an unreliable style sticks with his to finish it off via Maruo's own hands. It was absolutely enthralling seeing the peaks and valleys of this match, and seeing the developments on both sides, and especially the fact that we got to see how Maruo developed his own quirky specialty by having his back pushed against the wall.

I think it's some great advice to work on the simple things and find exactly where you excel over your opponent if creating a new strategy isn't open to you.

The way Maruo lost finally brought about something I had wished to see for awhile now, some real salt. Some real anger with the game and oneself for losing. And we got it. One could criticize Nabae for allowing him to lose the game off a miscalculation, but I think it shows his pro mentality. A pro player takes the win anyway they can get it, and in his own words "it's a part of the game".

Now for some scattered thoughts:
Nabae and Maruo are as adorable together as ever.
Natsu expressing that it's better to leave someone alone after a loss like that as insightful as it is true.
Okada reminds me of Araya, the major difference being is that he's a true bully when he plays. Araya expresses his emotions to hype himself up. Okada wants to massacre who he's facing so bad they never want to play again, or so I take from what I saw of him. Ide seems like a fun player to watch, I hope we get to see a match with him at some point.
And lastly, let's hope Maruo can come through for Natsu like she always does for him.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 6, 2014

143 by JeremiahOrange »»
Oct 5, 2023 6:50 AM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 21, 2014

93 by 1Konochi »»
Jun 14, 2023 5:49 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 14, 2014

55 by 1Konochi »»
Jun 14, 2023 2:40 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 24, 2014

52 by 1Konochi »»
May 27, 2023 10:16 AM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 17, 2014

51 by 1Konochi »»
May 26, 2023 2:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.