Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 23, 2014 8:23 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
LOL, Rei is awesome to watching in this show. I mean, that bento..

This looks tasty too though:

Another relaxing episode I guess. Momotarou's obsession with Gou is amusing as hell. Sosuke is quite an interesting character though. His focus on game competition is noticeable and tries to waste no time when it comes to swimming. I actually kinda like that attitude.
Jul 23, 2014 8:27 AM

Nov 2007
The nutrition is not good for the team, The passing one is the main guy, who only had fish. They are thinking about improving nutrition.

They had promise made that they haven't really make it true. He actually worried about him, but was too late. Single vs. Team.

Red hair guy decided to form a relay team with those who really want to join, after competing against that new guy again, not just being fast.

Nagisa's ep. next?
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jul 23, 2014 8:53 AM

Jun 2013
All those bento's looked great. Nagisa eats a lot of unhealthy food.
That talk that Rin and Sousuke had was pretty nostalgic, it was nice seeing a flashback when all four of them won that relay.
Jul 23, 2014 9:04 AM
Sep 2012
This was a great episode and I enjoyed Rin's speech about racing in the relay.
Jul 23, 2014 9:21 AM

Dec 2011
For me, it seemed like they spent too much time on that lunchbox part, because it seemed like the end of the episode was really fast paced.

But still, nice episode, we got to see some memories of Rin and Sousuke together.

Momotarou was really cute aw~

And that dialogue at the end really reminded me of Lucky Star. Well, that's KyoAni for ya.
Jul 23, 2014 9:24 AM

Nov 2012
great episode c:
not really fond of sousuke yet, but aside of that it was nice!
and that endcard LOL
Jul 23, 2014 9:28 AM

Mar 2014
Lol, I swear there's at least *hoyay nudge2* talk every episode ("You are four people united as one body!")
Jul 23, 2014 9:32 AM
Jul 2014
It was a great episode. Still don't like Sousuke yet. I'm very excited for next week. Lets hope they do not mess it up.
Jul 23, 2014 9:45 AM

Aug 2012
A conflict I thought would last the whole season was wrapped up nicely in this episode. I'm glad Sosuke told Rin his concern about his friends, and they addressed it. Seems like Sosuke's confrontation with Haru was less Haru-based and more friend-focused.

The little conversation Rei and Gou had in Haru's house was nice. She's a strict manager though lol.

Seems like next episode is Nagisa-themed.

LLawlied said:
Lol, I swear there's at least *hoyay nudge2* talk every episode ("You are four people united as one body!")

I didn't see like that at all, since what Gou said is true in a sense. Swimming is generally a solo sport, and the relay swimmers swim what someone might swim by their self. There's not real stopping either, their swims are connected like 1 swimmer would be in the pool.
raviviJul 23, 2014 10:07 AM
Jul 23, 2014 10:09 AM
Jan 2014
Haru's bento was just as expected, mackerel with rice. Gou totally crushed Rei's desire though.

Can't believe Sousuke asked Rin to share half of his soda.
It seems that Sousuke's character got some developement in this episode. I totally understand his concept of swimming though. In a relay or not, you're still alone in the water. Maybe he didn't receive enough support from his teammates back then.

Gou's food preparations looked good on the outside, only to find strawberry flavoured protein powder in the inside. I loved Makoto's reactions. It seems that Nagisa enjoyed them though.

The track that played during that butterfly race in the end was nice.

The end card was hilarous. Momo chasing down Ai with a big frog in his hands, lol.
Jul 23, 2014 10:26 AM

Dec 2012
Great episode, ended faster than I expected.

Sousuke's an interesting guy, looking forward to more of him.
Jul 23, 2014 10:40 AM

Nov 2012
Free! seems to be fond of Dutch angles in conflict scenes (Rei/Rin last season and now Rin/Sousuke)

They clarified Sousuke's concerns earlier than I thought they would
SleepyBearJul 23, 2014 10:55 AM
Jul 23, 2014 10:42 AM

Feb 2009
I can't get enough of Rei's maniacal laughter. XD

It was nice to see some of Rin and Sousuke's backstory and see their views on relays and individual times.
Jul 23, 2014 10:43 AM

Apr 2013
Good episode, Rei was so proud of his bento, haha and i liked Rin's speech at the end. I don't really like that Sousuke guy.
Jul 23, 2014 10:48 AM

Apr 2014
This episode seemed a bit slower than the others, but I do think parts of it were necessary, especially to understand Rin and Sousuke's past together as well as some aspects of their personalities. The scenes from their childhood were interesting to see, and now I feel like I can understand both of them more than I did before this episode. Both appear to have a very competitive streak, but their personalities complement each other in a way that neither of them might want to acknowledge [ more on that later in this post ].

I feel some sympathy for Momotarou! When I swim backstroke in an unfamiliar pool, regardless of the fact that the flags are spaced in exactly the same way, I do crash into the wall once or twice. This really gave me an appreciation of how Free! sticks to swimming not only as a plot device, but also tries to keep it accurate, or, as accurate as it can be for an anime, in some ways.
[ but who even makes those horribly tacky swimsuits? ]

The biggest realization of this episode is that the two teams- Iwatobi and Samezuka- mirror each other, with slight alterations to their personalities. Each of the members has a likeness to another on the other team. Nitori and Rei share a determination to get better under the judgement of their peers so that they can prove their worth, Nagisa and Momotarou are both silly and provide a sense of comic relief [ they also seem to share a love for sugary foods ], Haruka and Rin both have that drive to succeed and a love of swimming [ though in Haruka, the former quality is more latent, perhaps ], and Makoto and Sousuke both are protective of their teams and are kind of the glue that holds them together; they also restrain Haru/Rin from being too impulsive and taking illogical actions.

Nagisa's scene with the creepiest bread I've ever seen in my life was hilarious. 0 points. Beyond hope. Admit it, though, wouldn't you rather eat sweet breads than Rei's...salad rice thing? Gou's line about "four people united as one body" seemed creepy to me at first, but it does seem poignant and related to the series, especially since Sousuke mentioned he didn't want to swim on a relay because he didn't want to have to worry about others, i.e. the rest of the body.

As best friends, Rin and Sousuke's personalities complement each other, like Makoto and Haru's. I think we were meant to see the connection, especially when we see the former two jogging with each other, just as Mako and Haru did in an earlier episode. Romance or not, I appreciate how much of an emphasis is placed on the value of friendship.

And we see more dimensions to Gou's personality as well! She's not just a muscle-loving fangirl, but she also wants the best for the team and seems to be a pretty good team captain, considering that even though her cooking efforts weren't appreciated by anyone but Nagisa, she did put a lot of thought into preparing food and a training regimen for the team. I do wonder if Gou and Rin might come into conflict, because Gou has both a strong bond with her brother and with the Iwatobi team...

As a last note, the animation of the water is gorgeous as always. Though I think this anime could have been improved by a bit more drama or conflict, it was a nice insight into both of the teams, and I enjoy how they did focus some more on Samezuka, which evens out the series a bit. That end card might be one of my favourites from both seasons!

[ a ] [ i ] wo atsumete
たくさん の あい お あつめたら
tumblr
ことば で きみ に とどけよう
deviantart
みえない きもち お かたち に したら
last.fm
こころ の なか まで とどく から

Jul 23, 2014 10:51 AM

Nov 2013
Gou is very serious about properly developing swimming team's muscles.
Baby Rin is still the most adorable thing ever.

That ending card is amazing.
Jul 23, 2014 10:52 AM

Jan 2014
The scene with the bento ratings xD. Nagisa is too freaking funny. I'm starting to get pumped for the relay! Now I kind of want to go swim..
Jul 23, 2014 10:56 AM

Apr 2007
oh man that end card. Momo <3

The episode was ok. It was nice getting more on Sousuke, but it hasn't changed my opinion on him so I was rather bored ~
Jul 23, 2014 11:02 AM

Jan 2013
Sousoke still has to impress me.
Those bento where funny.

Is the relay going to be on the last 2 episodes?
And I wanted Kou to date one of the guys >.>
Jul 23, 2014 11:09 AM

Mar 2012
I don't get the joke about Gou giving them protein with strawberry taste. Anyone care to explain?
Keep moving forward
Jul 23, 2014 11:15 AM
Jul 2014
Nice episode! The part with the bentos and Momo meeting Gou at the sports store was pretty cute and funny :) :D. It seems this time Sousuke had SOME character development but I'm still not a fan of him :s idk maybe he'll stay the most unlikable guy on the show?! xD Lookin' forward to next week!
Jul 23, 2014 11:21 AM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Damn, Gou is way to strict when judging food quality! I think Makoto deserved at least an 80.
Poor Rei though.. Gou completely trampled over his epic laughing of seeming victory. XD

Momotarou is way too stuck up on Gou! Good thing Rin keeps him on track.

Romanticist swimming maniac Rin recalls his experience in Australia and how his friends saved him. I bet Sousuke is a bit jealous..

Gou's homemade lunch indeed looks delicious! Too bad, it's not as good as they though, except Nagisa.

Rei and Gou resolving their maniac habits of muscle and theory between them was pretty funny! I still think they're both maniacs in their respective fields though. XD

Nice seeing Sousuke wanting to join the relay team. That butterfly swimming match was quite intense!
Rin's little speech at the end was awesome. He's definitely becoming a role model as a captain.

Good episode. I actually thought Sousuke would ask something drastic off of Rin as a promise. Good thing that wasn't the case.
Hilarious end card though! XD

Jul 23, 2014 11:26 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Momotarou hilarious as ever :D When he hit his head against the wall and "Momo-kun?!?" As well as the ending card. I guess his swimming isn't too consistent though, so that's why his times were so different :/ work hard!

Yeah I don't really care for Rin and Sousuke's focus as of right now. Kind of interesting, but kind of not.

Lol Gou's bento, I was definitely expecting something like Riko's bento full of protein and supplements, as was not disappointed to see the chocolate filled onigiri.
Jul 23, 2014 11:30 AM

Aug 2009
WHY DOES THE WAIT FOR EVERY WEDNESDAY FEEL LIKE FOREVER?!?!?!

anyway, great episode!! Q //// Q
Jul 23, 2014 11:32 AM
Mar 2012
Well, pretty obvious who's going to participate in the relay XD
Jul 23, 2014 11:37 AM

Apr 2013
As a guy, it's really wierd to see men talking so openly about their feeling for an entire episode.
Jul 23, 2014 11:59 AM

Mar 2012
Momo-kun?! That sounded a bit homo .____. Well, it's Free! after all, what can we do...

Pretty good episode.

LastChapter said:
Well, pretty obvious who's going to participate in the relay XD

Yup I agree.
Jul 23, 2014 12:30 PM

Apr 2010
I so knew Gou would screw up the cooking somehow, haha.

This week was a fangasm for any Rin fans. Which I actually don't mind at all, it's nice to see a little bit of his and Sousuke's past.

I'm liking the newly introduced characters more and more, Momo is funny as hell and fills in the gap left by his big bro :D

Also now after 4 weeks I've come to a conclusion that this season's ED is better than the first one. I really love the cosplay and the song is really catchy!

Now to wait for next week's ep :3
Jul 23, 2014 12:50 PM

Apr 2014
A Sousuke- & Rin-focused episode? BEST.

No, but the whole thing was solid throughout. I really love how competent Gou is with the training menu + food menu (LOL Protein!), and (of course!) am charmed and impressed by the dynamics of Rin and Sousuke's childhood friendship.

It's interesting to learn how theory-focused and mental (pun not intended!) Sousuke is. He seemed a bit intense but that may be 'cause he's just a little unbalanced in certain areas -- listens to his head but not connected to his own heart. No contact from your friend in 5 years? It's got to hurt. But I don't think he knows that properly. People who are v. logical and do-right-thing often ignore their inner selves without meaning to. WELL. It's not as clear cut as JUST mental vs. emotional (he's well adjusted in certain areas, after all), but it has some weight in his behavior, I think. I hope this relay will be good for the two of them~
Jul 23, 2014 1:19 PM

Aug 2012
Silver4000 said:

Is the relay going to be on the last 2 episodes?
And I wanted Kou to date one of the guys >.>

Relay might be episode 7 or 8, if last season is any indication. I do want to see more training, and thoughts about their future.

swaggahsaurus said:

And we see more dimensions to Gou's personality as well! She's not just a muscle-loving fangirl, but she also wants the best for the team and seems to be a pretty good team captain, considering that even though her cooking efforts weren't appreciated by anyone but Nagisa, she did put a lot of thought into preparing food and a training regimen for the team. I do wonder if Gou and Rin might come into conflict, because Gou has both a strong bond with her brother and with the Iwatobi team...

I'd like to see that. It seems like something that might have happened last season.

I'll echo what others in other forums have said and I hope the show stays focused on Iwatobi and not Samezuka. We got a lot of the latter in the past month, not that it's bad, but it makes the show begin to feel like Rin is the protagonist, and the rest are side characters.
Jul 23, 2014 1:20 PM

Apr 2013
So mush bromance.
Jul 23, 2014 1:31 PM

Mar 2014
ravivi said:
A conflict I thought would last the whole season was wrapped up nicely in this episode. I'm glad Sosuke told Rin his concern about his friends, and they addressed it. Seems like Sosuke's confrontation with Haru was less Haru-based and more friend-focused.

The little conversation Rei and Gou had in Haru's house was nice. She's a strict manager though lol.

Seems like next episode is Nagisa-themed.

LLawlied said:

I didn't see like that at all, since what Gou said is true in a sense. Swimming is generally a solo sport, and the relay swimmers swim what someone might swim by their self. There's not real stopping either, their swims are connected like 1 swimmer would be in the pool.

Well, last week "top and bottom" talking made me aware to every little thing that the dialogue may subtly hinting lol =P
But yeah, maybe just me..
Jul 23, 2014 1:45 PM
Apr 2014
damn, rin changing sosuke like that. RIN<3
Jul 23, 2014 2:25 PM

Jul 2012
Pretty cool episode. :P
Nutritional balance guys!! XD Eat well to be healthy....and like Gou said, to maintain your muscles. xD

Anyways, that promise though.....that's really cool. Being best friends like that and making a promise like that? Nice... :3

So, next episode? o-o Yup. xD
Jul 23, 2014 2:28 PM
Mar 2012
ravivi said:
A conflict I thought would last the whole season was wrapped up nicely in this episode.
I agree, but I do wonder what we'll see for the rest of the season then.

I liked to see their past and their relationship develop.
Rin changed so much, he seems so happy and confident now. I'm a little afraid of him not being scouted and being crushed again...

swaggahsaurus said:
And we see more dimensions to Gou's personality as well! She's not just a muscle-loving fangirl, but she also wants the best for the team and seems to be a pretty good team captain
Actually that's nothing new. She's been motivating and supporting the guys throughout the last season, too. And she made a training plan in the last season all by herself, too (based on her brothers old one).
Plus she used them to bring back her brothers old personality (successfully!). She's a very sweet and caring little sister. And she's so proud of her team captain brother. :) Plus she did all this with a normal body and fully dressed! ;)
I think Gou is really under-appreciated.
Jul 23, 2014 2:53 PM

Feb 2012
Rin is just too awesome for this show, he's turning into a real captain.
Jul 23, 2014 3:20 PM

Sep 2012
GenT-san said:
I don't get the joke about Gou giving them protein with strawberry taste. Anyone care to explain?

Protein powder isn't exactly the best tasting cooking ingredient. And even then you'd only want to make cookies or something with it -- definitely not rice balls lol.
Jul 23, 2014 3:28 PM

Aug 2009
TheDeader said:
The scene with the bento ratings xD. Nagisa is too freaking funny.

Loved that part lol.
Surprisingly I actually like Rin and Sousuke's friendship. It's growing on me.

Jul 23, 2014 3:36 PM

Feb 2014
Good episode, didn't knock my socks off though.

I felt awkward when Rin recommended Momo a swimsuit. It felt like they were underwear shopping together...

The nutrition talk between the characters was nice. Actually, I would have liked to get some real information about pro athlete nutrition. But guess that's just me ^^"

I like flashbacks. Mostly flashbacks with Rin. He was so cute as a kid!

I also like Nagisa. I'm happy when they give him more screentime next episode.

Does anyone else get the feeling that Haru gets neglected in terms of relevance to the storyline?
L had a poster of Norman in his room
Jul 23, 2014 5:18 PM

Apr 2013
The bento ratings part was funny. I still don't like Sousuke that much, but more development for Rin is always nice. He's an awesome captain.
Jul 23, 2014 5:47 PM

Dec 2013
Why can't Giu just date the Mikoshiba guy already ;_; He's so cute >:3
Also, that ending card.. priceless.
#nanodayolo
Jul 23, 2014 6:18 PM

Mar 2014
This was a pretty decent episode. Momotarou is funny as always, and Nagisa was just so adorable when he was sulking.
Jul 23, 2014 6:44 PM
Jul 2014
Rin proving to be my fave character yet again! Still not particularly fond of Sousuke...hmm..
Looks like Nagisa has his character focus episode next, that should be interesting! :)
Jul 23, 2014 6:48 PM

Jul 2012
Finally Rin is getting a serious relay team together.

Great episode!!!
Jul 23, 2014 7:06 PM

Jul 2010
The bento checks were quite funny!
Rei having a lack of meat, Nagisa getting a zero and Haruka only having a mackerel xD
Gou's lunch filled with nutrition! Strawberry, cola, or banana filled rice balls!

See more of Rin and Sousuke! The promise and him wanting to join Rin's relay team.
Jul 23, 2014 8:01 PM
Sep 2013
I can't say I enjoyed this episode much. I'm sorry but Sousuke just doesn't interest me and I missed the Iwatobi team. I look forward to the Nagisa episode next week!
Jul 23, 2014 8:56 PM

Oct 2012
The episode was ok! I'm not loving all the focus on Sousuke, I just don't like him that much. Then again, I do have my standards set pretty high, after all the Reigisa material in the last ep. And of course, Momo was adorable and hilarious again!
Jul 23, 2014 9:03 PM

Jul 2012
Fun episode as usual. Liking the development as well as Momotarou.

fuzza said:
Why can't Giu just date the Mikoshiba guy already ;_; He's so cute >:3

this.
Jul 23, 2014 9:26 PM

Jun 2014
Momotarou is always obsessed wih Gou. I laughed when the time he spotted Gou he quickly shouted her name.

Another interesting episode, can't wait to see the next one.
Jul 23, 2014 10:45 PM

Dec 2011
It is all covered by protein powder! Hahaha.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 17, 2014

189 by hidenashi »»
Feb 9, 8:40 PM

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 3, 2014

125 by hidenashi »»
Feb 8, 7:16 PM

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 6, 2014

107 by hidenashi »»
Feb 5, 7:56 PM

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 30, 2014

113 by hidenashi »»
Feb 5, 7:22 PM

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 2, 2014

304 by hidenashi »»
Feb 3, 8:29 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.