Forum Settings
Forums

Manga 'Isshuukan Friends.' to End Next April

New
Jul 22, 2014 2:16 AM

Nov 2007
Amazon has listed that Isshuukan Friends. volume 7, which will be released on April 22, 2015, will be the final volume of the series.

The manga's anime adaptation aired this Spring.

Source: Nekonotemo
NaruleachJul 22, 2014 2:20 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 22, 2014 2:19 AM

Oct 2013
I'm going to start reading that once its finished. I liked the anime and I'm curious to see if they ever develop in a romantic way.
Jul 22, 2014 2:26 AM
Mar 2010
Ah, I saw this on ANN. Lovely little series. I'll miss it but I'm glad it won't drag on.
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Jul 22, 2014 2:40 AM
Mar 2012
Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?

*cries*
Jul 22, 2014 2:43 AM

Jul 2009
Nice
Jul 22, 2014 2:50 AM

Mar 2013
It seems the manga itself won't be overly long. I might check it out, it does have an interesting starting point.
Jul 22, 2014 3:00 AM

Feb 2012
This may stem from a limited insight, but an anime adaption seems more and more like a death sentence for smaller manga. I lost count over the number of manga that ended shortly after their anime in the last two to three years.
In 9/10 cases, the worst thing about an anime is its fandom.
Jul 22, 2014 3:09 AM

Dec 2013
Watched the anime because I knew the manga was pretty good. Too bad both are now at the end of its life.
Jul 22, 2014 3:14 AM

Jun 2014
I guess its good that its going to get some closure, i only watched the anime, but it was looking to be dragging on a bit like the Nisekoi manga, so i guess its good news.
Jul 22, 2014 3:28 AM

Feb 2011
Season 2 with the manga ending pls.
Jul 22, 2014 3:56 AM
Jul 2014
nice
Jul 22, 2014 4:11 AM

May 2013
So it means, there's a hope for Season 2?
The world shall know the truth soon.
Jul 22, 2014 4:17 AM

Sep 2013
Hopefully the volumes sell well so that Season 2 comes~ I loved the fluffy art style from Brains Base!
Jul 22, 2014 4:36 AM

Nov 2011
Over a year of waiting ;_;

Ofc, I am looking forward to it.
Jul 22, 2014 4:36 AM
Oct 2013
I'll read it when finished allready... i don't wanna wait another season... e.e
Jul 22, 2014 4:37 AM

Aug 2013
The anime covered vol 1-4 and so far the disc sales were decent. If by any means the other circumstances also look good, i really hope they also cover the rest 3 vol. I really loved this series and a proper closure would be much welcomed.
Jul 22, 2014 4:47 AM
Oct 2012
Not sure whether it's a good news or not.
"Bakuman" effect
Jul 22, 2014 5:01 AM

Nov 2011
Nucksen said:
This may stem from a limited insight, but an anime adaption seems more and more like a death sentence for smaller manga. I lost count over the number of manga that ended shortly after their anime in the last two to three years.

The anime did not have bad sales, so its unrelated. I'm pretty sure the story is just done.

@Amiluhur
Unless it airs in winter, I doubt it will happen. A manga series that have finished publishing and that already have an anime adaptation, very rarely, if ever, get another tv season.

SweetCoconut said:

It only lowers them.

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Jul 22, 2014 6:08 AM

Jul 2009
I liked the anime and started to read the manga, I am a bit sad, but also curious to see how it will end.
Jul 22, 2014 6:55 AM

Mar 2013
Season 2 please please.
Jul 22, 2014 8:58 AM
Jul 2013
Nucksen said:

The promotional power of an anime can determine continuation. Generally, if the readership of a mildly popular work doesn't increase dramatically after the anime broadcast, the publisher may choose to end it.
Jul 22, 2014 9:01 AM

Sep 2011
If they dont get together im gonna fucking kill someone.

Though i have to say this is probably the creator ending it on his own accord, this isnt the trype of series that can go on that long because kaori's amnesia will simply become too contrived and dragged out considering the amount of progress its come so far.

Though does anyone know if there would be enough material for a 2nd seaosn, I know thats probably not gonna happen cause A: brains base and B: there probably isnt enough, but still.
JizzyHitlerJul 22, 2014 9:07 AM

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jul 22, 2014 9:07 AM
Jul 2018
JizzyHitler said:
If they dont get together im gonna fucking kill someone.

Though i have to say this is probably the creator ending it on his own accord, this isnt the trype of series that can go on that long because kaori's amnesia will simply become too contrived and dragged out considering the amount of progress its come so far.
Agreed on both points.

Hopefully we'll get an ova to wrap the anime series up.
Jul 22, 2014 9:17 AM

Oct 2007
I doubt you can turn 1 or 2 volumes into a full season.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Jul 22, 2014 9:48 AM

Apr 2012
Let's see if they gonna decide to make a second season of it.
Jul 22, 2014 11:05 AM

Oct 2012
Rather than a new season, I'd be fine with a couple of OVAs instead so they wouldn't have to add unnecessary fillers.

Jul 22, 2014 12:48 PM

Oct 2009
Yes please at least a OVA to finish it off ;_;
Jul 22, 2014 1:54 PM

Jun 2007
Yause said:
Nucksen said:

The promotional power of an anime can determine continuation. Generally, if the readership of a mildly popular work doesn't increase dramatically after the anime broadcast, the publisher may choose to end it.

Theoretically, yes, but in practice, there's very little evidence to support this. Visible boosts are just as common for manga that end less than 1 year after the anime as they are for manga that end more then 2 years after the anime. In general, if a series doesn't run in a weekly shonen mag with million-plus circulation numbers and is popular enough to warrant an anime, it's popular enough to continue regardless of how much of a boost the anime provides. Provided the author wants to do so, of course.
Shameless Blog Plugging: animetics.net
Jul 22, 2014 2:49 PM

Jul 2010
rederoin said:
Nucksen said:

The anime did not have bad sales, so its unrelated. I'm pretty sure the story is just done.

@Amiluhur
Unless it airs in winter, I doubt it will happen. A manga series that have finished publishing and that already have an anime adaptation, very rarely, if ever, get another tv season.

SweetCoconut said:

It only lowers them.

Actually, if they see a bump in the sales of the current volume, they might do season 2 in order to try to get a similar bump in sales for the final volume...
Jul 22, 2014 3:03 PM

Mar 2013
I'm more bummed that I have to wait 8 months between Volume 6 coming out today and Volume 7 in April. I might just start buying the magazines to read it now.
Jul 22, 2014 3:48 PM

Jun 2012
;___;

Shougo x Saki OTP, pls make it happen :c
Jul 22, 2014 5:24 PM

Jun 2008
Not familiar with it, but it's got "friends" in the title, so why not? XD
Jul 22, 2014 6:17 PM

Nov 2011
zensunni said:
rederoin said:

@Amiluhur

It only lowers them.

If they do it before the manga has been done publishing, yes.
Actually, if they see a bump in the sales of the current volume, they might do season 2 in order to try to get a similar bump in sales for the final volume...

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Jul 22, 2014 6:43 PM

Nov 2013
Finally. Now I can pick it back up.
Jul 22, 2014 7:55 PM

Aug 2012
Scanlations please. Movie please.
Jul 22, 2014 8:29 PM

Jan 2011
I bet they'll go for an ambiguous friendship ending.
Jul 22, 2014 8:36 PM

May 2011
How bittersweet. I was planning on reading, and while I would love to see a conclusive ending, I don't know if I will like the manga enough and be sad it ended.

Can't wait to read it.
Jul 22, 2014 9:03 PM

Dec 2013
I wonder if it'll take 12 or 24 episodes to cover the rest of the manga
Anon1409Jul 22, 2014 11:41 PM
Jul 22, 2014 10:05 PM
May 2012
Sad cause it's ending. Happy because I can read it straight.
I watched the Anime like a week or two ago, and Fujimiya is such a sweet girl *^*
I will read the Manga someday. Fujimiya and Hase should end up together!!
Jul 23, 2014 12:12 AM

Sep 2011
Anon1409 said:
I wonder if it'll take 12 or 24 episodes to cover the rest of the manga

Well .. 4 volumes gave us 12 episodes and there are 3 more volumes, so you do the maths!

Personally I think it is VERY unlikely that there will be another season, but they may well produce an OVA for the final volume.
Jul 23, 2014 12:13 AM

Sep 2011
Torisunanohokori said:
Yause said:

Theoretically, yes, but in practice, there's very little evidence to support this. Visible boosts are just as common for manga that end less than 1 year after the anime as they are for manga that end more then 2 years after the anime. In general, if a series doesn't run in a weekly shonen mag with million-plus circulation numbers and is popular enough to warrant an anime, it's popular enough to continue regardless of how much of a boost the anime provides. Provided the author wants to do so, of course.

Mangirl! is a prime example of a series that got cancelled after the anime flopped so it is more than just theory.
Jul 23, 2014 12:32 AM

Sep 2011
I like the manga more than the anime (though it was enjoyable too of course and what got me into this series), hopefully the scans catch up before then to the material it didn't cover.
Jul 23, 2014 1:26 AM

Aug 2013
LastChapter said:
Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?

*cries*

Caught in a landslide,
No escape from reality.

..I literally cant believe everyone on here left you hanging.
Jul 23, 2014 8:00 AM

Jun 2007
scruffykiwi said:
Mangirl! is a prime example of a series that got cancelled after the anime flopped so it is more than just theory.

Do you have proof that Mangirl was specifically cancelled, like an author comment or something? I didn't say that manga *never* get cancelled, just that a series ending soon after the anime is not generally sufficient proof that a given series was forced to end by the publisher. There are many series that do well and also see the manga end soon after the anime, ala Joshiraku or Usagi Drop, and those that did poorly by all available measures but are still running, ala Hyouge Mono or Hen Zemi.
TorisunanohokoriJul 23, 2014 8:09 AM
Jul 23, 2014 9:11 AM

Dec 2011
It's also highly possible that it's the other way round - that the anime adaptation occurs when it does because the series is nearing its end.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Jul 23, 2014 10:32 AM
Mar 2010
Isshuukan Friends volume 6 was released on the 22nd of this month. So by next Wednesday/Thursday, we should have manga sales up and if it ranks, we'll know it had a manga boost. Even if it doesn't rank in the top 50 though, it could be in the top 60 or something which is still good if it was say in the 120s or something.

It all depends.
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Jul 23, 2014 2:37 PM

Nov 2008
getting ready to start reading probably after watching the anime too
Jul 23, 2014 3:35 PM

Sep 2011
Torisunanohokori said:
scruffykiwi said:

Do you have proof that Mangirl was specifically cancelled, like an author comment or something? I didn't say that manga *never* get cancelled, just that a series ending soon after the anime is not generally sufficient proof that a given series was forced to end by the publisher. There are many series that do well and also see the manga end soon after the anime, ala Joshiraku or Usagi Drop, and those that did poorly by all available measures but are still running, ala Hyouge Mono or Hen Zemi.

Yes. Mangirl was cancelled. The mangaka currently does not have any serialization underway.
scruffykiwiJul 23, 2014 4:03 PM
Jul 23, 2014 4:32 PM

Jun 2007
scruffykiwi said:
Yes. Mangirl was cancelled. The mangaka currently does not have any serialization underway.

That's also not a particularly meaningful bit of info. Not everybody who chooses to end a series immediately starts working on their next publication. Gakuen Alice (which regularly made the charts at 100k+) finished a year ago, just before Mangirl, and Higuchi Tachibana still hasn't published anything since. Hiroyuki Takei had a 2-year gap between the end of Shaman King in 2004 and the start of Jumbor in 2007.
Jul 23, 2014 5:24 PM

Sep 2011
Torisunanohokori said:
scruffykiwi said:

That's also not a particularly meaningful bit of info. Not everybody who chooses to end a series immediately starts working on their next publication. Gakuen Alice (which regularly made the charts at 100k+) finished a year ago, just before Mangirl, and Higuchi Tachibana still hasn't published anything since. Hiroyuki Takei had a 2-year gap between the end of Shaman King in 2004 and the start of Jumbor in 2007.

I can't find the source right now but an English fan discussed with the mangaka on the mangaka's pixvid account about how much the mangaka got from the anime (which was a pittance) and about their disappointment of the manga getting axed.

Yes it's true that anime sales on their own won't get a series axed, and there are plenty of examples of low sales anime continuing in manga form, especially for more niche titles. Of course because we are all outsiders we can't see the income streams and each publisher is different, but when a business invests in a product and does not see any return (in manga volume sales) then it's not unexpected to see that investment terminated.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - 5 hours ago

8 by kataneer »»
3 minutes ago

» Manga 'Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi' Ends with 13th Volume

Hyperion_PS - 2 hours ago

4 by nec0_0 »»
1 hour ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

5 by Kushna »»
5 hours ago

» 'Code Geass: Dakkan no Rozé' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 10

17 by animegamer245 »»
6 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Apr 23

31 by animegamer245 »»
9 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.