Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Knights of Sidonia
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jun 26, 2014 11:46 PM

Sep 2008
Part of me appreciates how much better the fight was in the anime, the other part of me feels unsure about the rearrangements and changes made from the manga :/. Also feel like they missed the chance to end on one hell of a cliffhanger with the spot they ended this season at.
Jun 27, 2014 12:15 AM

Nov 2011
I enjoyed the fight, but I didn't expect such a sappy ending from this anime: Tanikaze preaching about love, Kunato crying, everyone returning alive, etc. Quite disappointing, since I liked everything up to this point. I'm aware of the second season and that this is nothing but a transition, and I expect the show to return to form then, but the tone shift in this episode was a bit jarring, and was more unfitting than the harem moments throughout the episodes. Fine show overall, and I'm definitely looking forward to the next season.
Jun 27, 2014 12:44 AM

Aug 2010
Well that was friggin epic!

Nagate vs Benisuzume was amazing! Dat animation! Dat fist bullet! Really nice stuff. Nagate was BA. And I'm actually glad Benisuzume isn't dead. I want more of that creepy cute laugh :3

Also pretty nice save by Izana. That was a risky shot. Nice going ^^

The explosion of the planet looked really beautiful :D and the return of the hero was nice :)
Liked the OST.

Still hate Kunato a lot but hopefully he'll start making up for it now. He actually cried. He had emotions?? XD well Nagate raised his flag lol

Ren and her sisters finally apologise and join the harem :3 ofc Izana got jealous :P lol'd the faces s/he made during Ren and Nagate's talk XD

I wonder where red Shizuku went at the end? The place empty?

All in all 9/10 and can't wait for S2 now to read the manga ^^
Jun 27, 2014 12:56 AM

Apr 2012
was that a 2nd season at the end or just a 2ep ova
Jun 27, 2014 1:08 AM

Aug 2008
I came here because I saw the tags Space, Sci-fi, Mecha and Action, and that the anime was cell shaded. Seeing how well it worked on Ars Nova I thought it'd be very promising here. Was not dissapointed.
Jun 27, 2014 1:08 AM

Jul 2007
Not sure how I feeel with the changes to Izana's stuff. Most likely they will do some anime-original shit in next season to fix that at the start.

Also they did NOT use the
cliffhanger? That surprised me.

I guess this had the same problem as Prisma Illya's last season - by the time they were putting the episodes together they did not really know if they will get a second season so it did not make sense to leave stuff hanging, so they removed certain foreshadow-y parts and twists to make it more "complete" - chances are the season 2 beginning will add the missing parts in some sort of anime-original sortie.
Jun 27, 2014 1:45 AM
Jul 2013
I love this series so much. I can't wait to see how they do season 2. I wish that they added certain details from the manga, or maybe release an episode with the details...

Jun 27, 2014 2:44 AM

May 2012
09:17 power of love

13:07 handfire

Disappointing.
6.5/10 for this ep.
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
Jun 27, 2014 2:59 AM

Apr 2013
I really enjoyed this series now looking forward to starting the manga and hyped for season 2!!!
Jun 27, 2014 3:14 AM

Nov 2012
Wow, I loved it. Always wanted a sci-fi series that captures a blue-tinted world in the way this does. Certainly looking forward to the season two and I hope it delivers well enough. Glad to have episode 12 over with, as I was holding my breath from episode 11.

For now however, I'll miss the wonderful sounds and stunning alive screens this anime has, and my weekly boost of courage from the amazing opening theme. I really really enjoyed it.
Jun 27, 2014 3:23 AM

Sep 2013
Well, that was a fun hard sci-fi mecha. There are way too few of those, so Sidonia tasted always sweet.

That was an okay ending, although I feel that the monster of the week cycle has to change in some way for season 2 for it to stay fresh. These last few episodes felt like Sidonia no Kishi was almost repeating the exact same cycle all the time, well, because it did.

It was nothing remarkable in any way, but kept me intested unlike the majority of the anime this season, so it deserves extra credit for that.

7/10, very good.

Looking forward to season 2.
Jun 27, 2014 3:24 AM

Nov 2013
Just wow, I don't remember when I was this satisfied with last episode, which turned out to be the best episode. Too bad Izana didn't turn into a girl, but we have next season for this.
10/10
Jun 27, 2014 3:52 AM

Mar 2010
The_Supporter said:
skudoops said:
Ah, I see. I also don't know how significant that is (since I've barely read the manga).. does it play a role?

Like the typical "beat up the MC for shits and giggles" "comedy"?
"Then again, if she's not my sibling, there's no bling, either" - Ararararagi Koyomi
Jun 27, 2014 4:00 AM

Sep 2008
As someone who never read manga this was just amazing.

The duel between Benisuzume and Tanikaze was great. Those machine gun sounds, those canon shots, brilliant.
I loved almost every single aspect of this show and I am glad it made a giant leap in ratings as it was nearing the end. I still think it is underrated but hey, to each his own.
What that said, this show did have some flaws. Kinda rushed ending, bad explanation and lack of usage of that Ochwhatever guy (I assume 2nd season is gonna use him) and some questionable decisions.

Nevertheless, I couldn't be happier season 2 is announced. This was by far my favorite show of the season.
8/10, loved it.

P.S. That opening song is definitely among top5 openings on my list.
Jun 27, 2014 4:19 AM

Sep 2008
Great series and last episode just made it even more epic then it already was. The matrix-like dogfight, Izana's many faces with Nagate and Kunato's crying bitch-face at the end totally made it worth it.

Nagate is the type of OP character you want in a series. He plays it off well(not knowing he's immortal) and his pilot skills are due to hard work and training so people can't say that he's a Stu.

8/10
Jun 27, 2014 4:20 AM

Jan 2011
Benisuzume was creepy right to the end, that giggling. Firing the arm while holding the bullet reminded me of a scene from MGS: PW, which is funny in hindsight after Kojima praised the series.
Jun 27, 2014 5:16 AM

May 2013
Awww, what an ending!

I personally liked the scene between Nagate and Kunato, that means he really loves everyone in Sidonia. Dat tears. And Izana's face expressions is really cute and funny at the same time. Looking forward to Season 2. 8/10
The world shall know the truth soon.
Jun 27, 2014 5:23 AM
Feb 2013
On to season 2, and awwww shit them sidonians are gonna be up against a giant Benisuzume?
Jun 27, 2014 5:30 AM

May 2014

RazorRamona200 said:
On to season 2, and awwww shit them sidonians are gonna be up against a giant Benisuzume?

That's not Benisuzume.
Typing on an ipad is like driving carpentry nails with a sledgehammer.
Jun 27, 2014 5:41 AM

Dec 2010
Now that's how you make a final episode. And the continuation announcement made my week as well.

Why have they cut the part where Izana gets mechanised limbs? I hope this won't hurt too much the anime adaptation.

Tsundere Kunato was funny xD

1. Characters. +1. Even just Tanikaze would have been enough, but in my opinion Hoshijirou was great too and Yuhata was decent too. Hate aside, Kunato is actually quite a good character - even just because of how realisticly was he picturing what can people do out of jealousy.
2. Atmosphere. +1. Even in the very beginning the atmopshere in Sidonia was pretty good, it reminded me of other sci-fi animes(Texnolyze), but then the battles came and I can say the atmosphere in space was pretty well done(so much that I, a space-setting hater, liked it).
3. OST. +1. That battle theme. And that ED. The OP was cool too. Can't complain much, although the show didn't have much chances for background themes or insert songs.
4. Animation. +1. Once you're in for 1-2 episodes you get used to it and can't really complain about it. The Gaunas and the Gardes were very well animated, and the CGI was good too.
5. Background story. +1. One of the things I really liked about this show is he heavy background the story has. And we actually have so much more to learn!
6. Storyline. +1. It was decent. This show isn't one that can offer a consistent storyline, but the arcs by themselves were pretty interesting.
7. Ending. +1. I hoped for a good ending, but man, I never expected something as plausible. Tanikaze even went through the trouble to invite Kunato back, which I was hoping for since some episodes ago.
8. Drama. +1. Starting from the very first death and getting to the point where Hoshijiro died, and even - Placenta Hoshijiro died, deaths alone made this show dramatic enough for my taste. But even the deaths aside, it's a pretty dramatic anime.
9. Overall affect. +1. After episode 2 I was already hooked on this, few more episodes in, it was already the #1 quality anime of the season in my opinion, and was eagerly expecting the next episode. I was cocerned for most of the cast, I cared about their struggle with the gauna and usually during battles I was totally immersed, to the point nothing else existed around me, but the battle. I can't deny that the show inspired me in more than one way, and that I came to respect quite a few characters as well.
10. Bonus score: The only reason I'm not giving a final point here is because this is the first season and I'd feel quite uneasy to call the first one masterpiece, before the second one has even came out. If nothing else, it'd hype the title so much, it'll be hard for the 2nd season to actually deliver :D
Overall score: 9/10
MeritasJun 27, 2014 5:47 AM
Jun 27, 2014 6:07 AM

Jan 2012
Seriously Nagate is too nice... he should just let Kunato rot in his house...

I'm glad I decided to watch this one and didn't drop it after the 1st ep ^^"
Well looking forward to season 2!
Jun 27, 2014 6:37 AM

Dec 2011
Let the final struggle start!

Tsugumori vs Benisuzume!

This time around it's Izana to the rescue!

That bullet was the one that killed the placenta Beinisuzume after all.

Woohooo! That huge ass gauna has been defeated!

Ren seems to be disturbing Izana's time with Nagate XD.

At last... that placenta Hoshijiro went poof!

Can't wait for the next season to come!
"Let justice be done, though the heavens fall."
Jun 27, 2014 6:43 AM

Jun 2013
To be fair.. do we really know there's going to be a second SEASON? As opposed to a shorter OVA? I guess the episode 1 and 2 prescreening could be a good sign, but for awhile we thought Buddy Complex and Gargantia was getting a second season and it turned out to be some mini ova bullshit.

Here's hoping it's a full second season.

edit: Nevermind, rechecked the wording and it does specifically say "season". I've learned to became cautious when second parts are announced recently.
ex_necrossJun 27, 2014 6:50 AM
Jun 27, 2014 6:54 AM

Jan 2010
A great episode that atmosphere but without the final episode, it will be okay season, but could be 24 episodes in a row now, the climate there would not be lost, and the manga is far enough for it already.

Nagate showing a great protagonist, and the cry of Kunato was the best thing in the episode. Only that I miss Hoshijiro? She was the best girl in the harem supposed Tanikaze ):
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the
Jun 27, 2014 7:07 AM

Feb 2014
What a great first season. As mentioned several times before, the sound/music was top-notch.
And yes, I'm looking forward to the second season.
Jun 27, 2014 7:29 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Heck yeah, another action packed episode and a great final fight. I cannot believe he actually destroyed Bnizusume with a friggin ROCKETO PUNCH! How retro is that?

ONly thing that threw me off was the sappy reaching out to Kunato. I hope Kunato's tears are of rage and humilliation and not being repentant. I need a villain.

And we have confirm S2. Yeah!!!
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jun 27, 2014 7:31 AM

Jun 2013
Great final episode, had goosebumps all through that episode.
Looking forward to season 2.
Jun 27, 2014 7:47 AM

May 2013
Great serie. They changed many things from the manga, but I'm sure they just wanted to keep many of the surprises for the second season.
9/10 but only because of the slow frame rate in some scenes.
Jun 27, 2014 7:55 AM

Sep 2012
Marzan said:
ONly thing that threw me off was the sappy reaching out to Kunato. I hope Kunato's tears are of rage and humilliation and not being repentant. I need a villain.

Minor spoiler:
Jun 27, 2014 8:34 AM

Mar 2014
10/10 would watch again.....
Jun 27, 2014 9:16 AM

Jul 2007
Litrydow said:
Marzan said:

Minor spoiler:

This is only superficially correct.

Removing this crucial scene would have been ridiculous since they already messed with the flow of the story quite a bit. Its important to flesh out characters and not make them too dimensional.

Otherwise I am surprised they did not end the season with THE THING from the spoilers above happening, but I guess they wanted the season to stand alone in case there's no S2.
AhenshihaelJun 27, 2014 9:20 AM
Jun 27, 2014 9:21 AM

May 2014
Well done final episode for Season 1. I expected them to do this more closely to manga than that but it was still great. End result was the same after all.

Man, I'm a bit unhappy that they left out the whole scene where it went like this:
"... this... I tell ya, this isn't an injury that can be treated with a medkit. Even if he regains a consciousness, he can't do anything like pilo-"
"If you stand there, I can't close the hatch."

Yes it was from when Tanikaze lost consciousness in battle. The whole scene in manga was longer and quite great with more characters involved than just Tanikaze and Izana.

Also, since they postponed a few IMPORTANT things... yes, second season WILL BE fucking amazing.
UnsightlyWalrusJun 27, 2014 9:41 AM
Jun 27, 2014 9:38 AM

Jul 2012
Good way to end this season without any cliffhangers or bullshit! :D

Loved this show. It brought me back into the sci-fi/mecha genre! Also, one of the surprises of this season since everything else that was in the action genre had lolis, incest or some other sort of otaku pandering shit.

This is probably my favourite non-sports of this year along with Soredemo. Deciding between an 8 or 9/10 still, but it's a great show and I would totally rewatch it. Also, can someone recommend me a show that's as sci-fi and good as world building as this show?? I'll love ya forever.

LOOKING FORWARD TO SECOND SEASON YAAAS!
MayukaJun 27, 2014 9:42 AM
Jun 27, 2014 10:15 AM

Oct 2008
"Loved this show. It brought me back into the sci-fi/mecha genre!"

Wish there would be more series like this. Im running out of the better ones, so i was really happy to have this in the season!
Jun 27, 2014 11:21 AM

Apr 2012
What a great series. No unnecessary angsty pilots (no stealing of mecha unless you count how Kunato feels about Tanikasze taking Tsugumori!). The gravity of the situation they're in is apparent to everyone without resorting over the top dramatics. Humor, serious sci-fi themes, action, great sound...Just perfect.
Jun 27, 2014 11:26 AM

Jun 2013
mayukachan said:
Also, can someone recommend me a show that's as sci-fi and good as world building as this show?? I'll love ya forever.

Texhnolyze. If you can stomach it. It's a super dark atmospheric sci-fi and I've seen a lot of people comparing this with it. Texhnolyze is also a personal favorite of mine but VERY dark and also quite slow. The slow pacing and deep psychological elements could bore some people of lesser or simpler minds, however.

I guess it also depends what you mean by "as sci-fi". I'd say it's about the same sci-fi as GiTS. No giant mechs or spaceships, but lots of robotics and far more advanced technology than we have. The main selling point is the atmosphere it does so well.
ex_necrossJun 27, 2014 12:05 PM
Jun 27, 2014 12:12 PM

Jan 2012
Izana getting mechanized limbs would just be irrelevant. It was just used for comedy relief in the manga. I'm pretty happy she didn't get it because it would just ruin her figure as a second main. Overall Great First Season!
Jun 27, 2014 12:34 PM

Jul 2012
ex_necross said:
mayukachan said:
Also, can someone recommend me a show that's as sci-fi and good as world building as this show?? I'll love ya forever.

Texhnolyze. If you can stomach it. It's a super dark atmospheric sci-fi and I've seen a lot of people comparing this with it. Texhnolyze is also a personal favorite of mine but VERY dark and also quite slow. The slow pacing and deep psychological elements could bore some people of lesser or simpler minds, however.

I guess it also depends what you mean by "as sci-fi". I'd say it's about the same sci-fi as GiTS. No giant mechs or spaceships, but lots of robotics and far more advanced technology than we have. The main selling point is the atmosphere it does so well.

Thanks!! :D Yeah I've been planning on watching Tex since a bunch of people were talking about the "pretentious trio" so I was really curious to check them out. I'll put it higher on my priority list then. And nah, the slow pacing and deep stuff won't bug me. After all, I got through Shinsekai Yori and Evangelion lol

Ah yeah I watched like 8 episodes of GiTS. Not really into it that much, to be honest. I expected it to be "cool" and techy like Psycho Pass but it was more toned down and similar to Darker than Black's feel. But I will try and finish it.
Jun 27, 2014 12:38 PM

Apr 2013
The action parts were amazing but the CG is something they need to work on so the next season won't make me eyeroll again.
Jun 27, 2014 1:00 PM

Dec 2013
Can i breathe now? hehehe this was a tense episode. Izana gets one more to compete for Nagate hahaha her faces are priceless, that Gauna at the end seemed badass and awesome soundtrack as aways. the fight between Nagate and Benisuzume was pretty cool.

Hardly going to win any poll of best anime of the season for not being hyped, but for me it's my favorite this season and hardly those who remain will overcome it, anxious for the next season.
Jun 27, 2014 1:10 PM

Jun 2013
mayukachan said:

Ah yeah I watched like 8 episodes of GiTS. Not really into it that much, to be honest. I expected it to be "cool" and techy like Psycho Pass but it was more toned down and similar to Darker than Black's feel. But I will try and finish it.

Hmmm, well I guess not everyone can like it. Although dropping GiTS is not something I commonly see, it really is a great show :P
Jun 27, 2014 1:50 PM

Dec 2013
i remember when people called this shit / ugly etc. after 1-2 episodes and it turned out to be the most visually impressive show of the season, tied with ping pong.

Gotta love MAL forums.
Jun 27, 2014 2:08 PM

Jul 2007
mayukachan said:

Certainly this one. Same kind of slow burn, more focus on world building and characters(and the lead character's reaction to the world he finds very disturbingly different). Its calmer but there's a sense of foreboding atmosphere
Jun 27, 2014 2:32 PM

Apr 2013
I can't even avert my eyes during this episode.
5/5 series.
Jun 27, 2014 2:56 PM

Jul 2012
ex_necross said:
mayukachan said:

Hmmm, well I guess not everyone can like it. Although dropping GiTS is not something I commonly see, it really is a great show :P

Oh no, I didn't drop it but it didn't hold my interest enough to finish it right away. It's on hold. I rarely drop anything unless it's pure fanservice/moe and no plot. lol

Fai said:
mayukachan said:

Certainly this one. Same kind of slow burn, more focus on world building and characters(and the lead character's reaction to the world he finds very disturbingly different). Its calmer but there's a sense of foreboding atmosphere

Yeah I wanted to check that out! Thanks :)
Jun 27, 2014 3:02 PM

Nov 2013
Brilliant episode as always. These last 2-3 episodes have been intense as fuck. And holy shit those sound effects are amazing.
38 dead this time T__T
Kunato's crying was regret I'm assuming.

What the fuck, it's over?
MOOOOOOAR!!!!

Second season better come fast!
Also dafuq was that at the end? More placenta Hoshijiro shit? Well it looks scarier/creepier than before that's for sure...

Episode 5/5

Season 10/10 and can't wait for season 2!!
Jun 27, 2014 3:21 PM

Apr 2011
Second season, huzzah! Looks like it'll be out in Winter 2014/15, judging from the preview for an advance showing in late November.

Definitely one of the sleeper hits this season. The first episode or two I tried to watch it streaming and it really made the CGI animation look terrible, even a 480p download looks so much better. Wasn't expecting a show this brutal, it was almost the Attack on Titan of sci-fi.

9/10 for the series, my second favorite show of the season behind NGNL.
Jun 27, 2014 3:38 PM
Feb 2014
Easily one of the best animes I've ever seen.

I can't decide whether this or NGNL is my favourite for the season, because they're both so different.

However, between the two, I think Sidonia is what I personally prefer. Solid 9/10. Maybe a 10/10??? I really can't remember anything I disliked abt the show besides the occasional slip in animation quality here and there (btw, chuckled at Kunato's tears, haha)

Really hyped for the second season. Also, really looking forward to reading the manga.
Duri1nJun 28, 2014 4:06 AM
The most annoying thing about some anime is that they don't know when they've died...
Jun 27, 2014 4:49 PM

Feb 2010
That was a great watch. And season 2 hype
"Your taste is shit cause you like what I hate. Believe me I have 1000 cartoons that I rated with less than 5."

Jun 27, 2014 4:56 PM

Aug 2009
Great series 9/10

almost wet myself when i saw Tsumugi at the end.....can't wait for season 2 and the ever-growing harem that is Nagate's
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2014

135 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 31, 2023 1:33 PM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2014

112 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 31, 2023 12:57 PM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2014

117 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 31, 2023 12:14 PM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 29, 2014

163 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 31, 2023 11:27 AM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 22, 2014

266 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 31, 2023 10:52 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.