Forum Settings
Forums

Ferry sinks off S. Korea coast....almost 300 are still missing.

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 19, 2014 10:12 AM

Mar 2012
Shit, eh.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Apr 19, 2014 4:57 PM

Oct 2009
dankickyou said:
Hidden_Joker said:

Captain was the real bastard here. Told the passengers to stay put and not panic and they were only 10 minutes from land.

He and his crew escaped first thing.
He was found drying money on the shore.

Wow, he's like a total mustache twirling, puppy kicking villain.

lol
Apr 20, 2014 12:30 PM
Feb 2013
trabeus1 said:
Total of 20 people has been confirmed dead so far.

its now confirmed that 59 are dead, but afraid its going to be more than that...its been almost a week since the accident with the ferry...hopefully theres still a chance for the remaining to come out alive.. :(
Apr 23, 2014 6:38 AM

Jan 2013
I remember back when Ship Captains were honourable, go down with the ships sort.

Now its MUWAHAHAHA SNEAK OUT WITH THE PASSANGERS TAKE THE MONEY!

Titanic would have been such a better event/movie if its Captain was like that.
Apr 23, 2014 7:02 AM
Jul 2018
JustAsianThings
Apr 23, 2014 10:18 AM

Jan 2013
Eremiel said:
JustAsianThings

I take it you forgot about the Italian Cruiseship Captain that did this as well?
Apr 23, 2014 1:15 PM

Dec 2011
RedArmyShogun said:
I remember back when Ship Captains were honourable, go down with the ships sort.

There was a (different) ship captain talking about it on BBC Radio 4 the other day saying that there's a good chance the captain and crew would have been actively dropped of the ship and into the water with how it was tilting, whether they decided to abandon it or not. Which makes it rather difficult to do the 'go down with the ship' thing.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
May 14, 2014 11:51 PM

Jun 2008
UPDATE:

http://news.yahoo.com/south-korea-indicts-four-crew-members-ferry-manslaughter-023232731--finance.html

^Captain and 3 crew members are facing murder chargers...

In total, 281 people have been confirmed dead (most of which were young students on a field trip), 23 others remain missing and more than likely presumed dead.

Horrible tragedy...
--ALEX--May 14, 2014 11:55 PM
May 15, 2014 5:29 PM

Jan 2014
Hidden_Joker said:
It's all over the news in Korea right now. Nothing else is on TV but the live feed of the rescue scene and analysis.

Death toll is currently 33 i think.

269 still missing (presumed dead).

174 rescued

Captain was the real bastard here. Told the passengers to stay put and not panic and they were only 10 minutes from land.

He and his crew escaped first thing.
He was found drying money on the shore.

Most of them apparently would have survived had they gone up to the deck at least.

Some stayed behind (one of the attendants died rescuing the kids i think).
Even the damn part timer stayed behind.

Also, this is a prime example of Korean government incompetence. Dear lord.
The damn "disaster response team" didnt even know what the situation was exactly and...yeah. So much incompetence.

Wow those bastards, I can't believe they actually did that! The escaped without telling the passengers that they were probably going to die! That at least they should go to the deck! THEY ESCAPED LEAVING EVERYBODY BEHIND TO FEND FOR THEMSELVES! EVEN THE FUCKING PART-TIMER STAYED BEHIND!

33 deatd and 296 missing...I hope the captain takes responability
Game over. If that's the case, I just have to play again.
May 15, 2014 6:35 PM
Apr 2013
Old news already, the latest numbers are:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HzeexgeXZpxFPA-vRRX9UQVLa7y0U_51hP9ujQ_s5q0/pub

476+ Passengers: 325 high school students, 14 teachers, 33 crews, 104 other
The exact number is unclear as some bodies found are not registered.

172 Rescued: 75 students, 3 teachers, 23 crew, 71 other
- of which the vice principal died after committing suicide.

284+ Died: 232 students, 8 teachers, 4 foreigners, 1 foreign student, 32 other

20 Missing: 18 students, 3 teachers, 4 crew members, 4 other

The ferry company and the inspection company have problems and are under investigation. Manslaughter charges were brought to 4 crew including the Captain.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-27420071

The Prime Minister resigned after this.
A university professor and a KBS editor resigned after inappropriate comment.
The rescue team and VTS were also criticized.

Basically the whole S.Korea is hurt and will undergo safety reform.
May 15, 2014 8:30 PM

Mar 2014
They should just do the honorable thing already and commit seppuku. I really don't agree with the charges for manslaughter, shit happens.
May 15, 2014 8:36 PM

Mar 2014
Glad South Korea has such a responsible and non-bureaucratic government in times of national disasters.
May 16, 2014 8:55 AM

May 2013
RedArmyShogun said:

Maybe you're just romanticizing the past.

mclovinballz said:
They should just do the honorable thing already and commit seppuku. I really don't agree with the charges for manslaughter, shit happens.

As the captain he's responsible for the wellbeing of his passengers. His actions actually did cause these deaths.
Nov 12, 2014 5:54 AM
Apr 2013
Captain given 36 years prison, other crew members up to 30 years.

It's too harsh really, the event was an accident and the crew were only partly responsible. The company that illegally modified the ship to contain more cargo (cargo that caused the ship to overturn when it shifted during a sharp turn) also has a large amount of responsibility, as well as the sea rescue force of South Korea. It's not individuals who are at fault but the whole system that allowed the possibility of such tragic accidents to occur.

Koreans (many of whom want the captain to get the death penalty) seem unable to accept the truth and just want to blame someone, punish someone so that it's all "okay" again.
RedhillsNov 12, 2014 5:58 AM
Nov 12, 2014 3:54 PM
Apr 2013
Because they are on manslaughter charges for hundreds of lives, mostly teenagers. They did caused the accident as well, in part. They most likely knew it's overloaded. And the operation was not safe.

Death penalty was initially sought but murder charges were dropped.
They were a bit unlucky but the victims and their family were even more unlucky.
There's a need for a symbolic punishment too, in order to prevent future occurrences. Just remember the students were repeatedly told to stay in their room and be calm until water rushed in.
listbotNov 12, 2014 4:00 PM
Nov 12, 2014 4:59 PM

Mar 2014
RedArmyShogun said:

Yeah. Cast that actor as J. Jonah Jameson from the Maguire spiderman movies as the Captain too.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 12, 2014 5:37 PM

Oct 2014
RedArmyShogun said:

Honour has little to do with that. The ships were generally not owned by the Captain but by a government or an organisation. If he survived the ship sinking the debts of the ship went on to him and his family. By going down with the ship his family wouldn't be tied to those debts.
"Dakimakura aren't meant for fucking." -Moog, January 2015

When a site's moderators warn you for condemning a troll, you know their moderators need to be changed out.
Nov 13, 2014 3:11 AM
Apr 2013
nucleon said:

There's a need for a symbolic punishment too, in order to prevent future occurrences. Just remember the students were repeatedly told to stay in their room and be calm until water rushed in.

True, it's an awful thought.

But why weren't the crew properly trained on how to deal with emergency situations?
I too would never have thought that a minor incident on a ship near the coast could kill so many people, but evidently it can unless you evacuate immediately. The crew should have known that, but didn't due to presumably inadequate training.

Such lax security measures exist in many fields and in many parts of the world, and while accidents are still unlikely, they can have drastic consequences, as the unlucky passengers and crew on the Korean ship discovered.

The punishment the crew are getting is as you say largely "symbolic" imo, and doesn't solve anything nor represent fair justice. The problem is that exactly the same incident is unlikely to occur again, so a bad accident may well occur in a different sector (remember eg. the nuclear disaster in Japan; what allowed that to happen?).
Nov 13, 2014 8:04 AM

Dec 2007
HiNT74 said:

The punishment the crew are getting is as you say largely "symbolic" imo, and doesn't solve anything nor represent fair justice. The problem is that exactly the same incident is unlikely to occur again, so a bad accident may well occur in a different sector (remember eg. the nuclear disaster in Japan; what allowed that to happen?).
The symbolic part was the murder charges and the prosecution seeking the death penalty. The actual convictions are completely in line with the responsibilities conferred on the crew of any kind of passenger vessel (cars, trains, and planes included). They had a duty of care to look out for the lives of their passengers, and not only did they only care about saving themselves, they gave instructions that directly led to the massive loss of life. Training is irrelevant - they were the first to evacuate and did so while many passengers were still unaware an evacuation was necessary. They didn't even try to deal with the situation.

The captain was convicted of "gross negligence resulting in loss of life." Nothing symbolic there. He failed to do his duty and people died as a direct result of that, and he can get a nice long prison sentence for it. The 30-year sentence was for a crewman who abandoned injured people - which counts as a lower murder charge due to his duty of care. The others all got it for criminal negligence. Beyond the one guy, no murder or manslaughter charges stuck.
For the record, people who were not on board the ferry have also been charged with the safety violations that led to the sinking. No crew member has been convicted over said violations - everything was their conduct after it hit the fan.

As for your last example, that's rather weak: the Fukushima disaster was the result of overreliance on scientific estimates which were proven wrong. They were, however, completely safe according to what was believed, and actually held up better than expected given the situation. The plants were designed to withstand an 8.0 earthquake from the same fault line, as scientific experts had surmised that it could not produce a quake significantly exceeding that. Instead, they got a 9.0, which is 10 times as powerful. That's what happens when you mistake scientific estimates for incontrovertible fact (catastrophic AGW anyone?).
ErwinJANov 13, 2014 8:07 AM
Nov 13, 2014 9:34 AM
Apr 2013
Some Koreans did criticize their own people's lack of safety concept

Training? One younger new staff stayed to help but she died.
The ones got sued were not just for giving up responsibility.
They knew the ship was overloaded but still allowed it to operate.
They instructed passengers in a way which cause them to be trapped and get killed, while they themselves left first.

>The problem is that exactly the same incident is unlikely to occur again
Forget about Japan. Korea had news of disaster with mismanagement.
Look back 10 years ago, the Daegu subway fire. Passengers were again told to stay inside the train when there was a fire. When the operator decided to tell the people to go, he ran away himself but locked the train door.
Nov 13, 2014 10:39 AM
Apr 2013
ErwinJA said:

(...)

As for your last example, that's rather weak: the Fukushima disaster was the result of overreliance on scientific estimates which were proven wrong. They were, however, completely safe according to what was believed, and actually held up better than expected given the situation. The plants were designed to withstand an 8.0 earthquake from the same fault line, as scientific experts had surmised that it could not produce a quake significantly exceeding that. Instead, they got a 9.0, which is 10 times as powerful. That's what happens when you mistake scientific estimates for incontrovertible fact (catastrophic AGW anyone?).

Well I don't know, a quick look at the Wikipedia article told me that a lot of what led to the disaster was widespread corruption and lax procedures, which reminds me a lot of the Korean ship company illegally modifying its ships and bypassing safety controls.

If it's not the best example you can look at others like the 1995 Sampoong Department Store collapse, or the more recent similar collapse in Bangladesh...

You seem to assume the captain was acting selfishly -- maybe he was just scared, didn't know how to handle the situation, didn't realize the gravity of the situation, and was himself in a part of the ship where he was in imminent danger, unlike other passengers?

All in all the sentences seem harsh. The crew should have acted differently, but their mistakes were unintentional.
Nov 13, 2014 2:53 PM

Feb 2013
Oh, an update bump.

I can't be the only person who saw the thread title and thought "Damn, another one?"
Nov 13, 2014 2:56 PM

Dec 2013
Damn...
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Nov 13, 2014 5:10 PM

Dec 2007
HiNT74 said:
You seem to assume the captain was acting selfishly -- maybe he was just scared, didn't know how to handle the situation, didn't realize the gravity of the situation, and was himself in a part of the ship where he was in imminent danger, unlike other passengers?

All in all the sentences seem harsh. The crew should have acted differently, but their mistakes were unintentional.
You seem to assume he wasn't acting selfishly. There was a trial and he was convicted of misconduct. If he'd been railroaded, they'd have stuck him with several hundred manslaughter charges, which would have been plenty to keep him locked up indefinitely.

I see detractors of the criminal penalties keep going back to the whole "poorly trained" line. But, you don't know the exact amount and type of training they had, which is certainly not zero. And even if it was, that's not an excuse. A teacher that leads kids up to the roof during a tornado would not get off by claiming "poor training." Same for a hotel manager that ushers people into elevators during a fire. There are things you don't need training to know. Letting people know their ship is sinking so they can evacuate is definitely one of them. There is no such thing as a situation where the entire crew feels threatened enough to bail and the passengers are in no danger.

And, for the record, several other captains have suffered criminal charges for eerily similar circumstances (many passengers survived only because they ignored calls to return to their cabins). Incidentally, those people were almost certainly given disaster training, yet made most of the same "mistakes."

NTAD said:
Oh, an update bump.

I can't be the only person who saw the thread title and thought "Damn, another one?"
Naah. My first thought was "wait, wasn't this old news six months ago?"
ErwinJANov 13, 2014 5:13 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.