Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
5Loved it!
58.5%
4Liked it!
23.1%
3It was OK
11.0%
2Disliked it
3.8%
1Hated it
3.7%
Average 4.3
711 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 10, 2009 9:23 AM

May 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
OMG i so LOL at Shamisen!! XD
love his vocal xD
I've never seen a cat so willing to hang on to someone's shoulder...normally they always try and run away ;_; well the ones i know.

its a shame kyon's sister doesnt have much screen time.. *sigh

and Those were real warriors.. -_-
OMG mikuru a can kill! hey different contact lenses <.<
and koizimu... acting the usual, cool.

so what program is kyon using to edit? im interested.
plus kyon is dam good at it!
and that's one great camera, shot the whole thing in season one animation
Sep 10, 2009 9:28 AM

Dec 2007
hahaha final part xD
haruhi and kyon
Sep 10, 2009 9:31 AM

Nov 2007
fantastic episode and if this was the last episode of this "new Haruhi" then it was a very enjoyable one. I definitely enjoyed Sighs. Now on to Disappearance, there are no excuses now.
Sep 10, 2009 10:23 AM

Jan 2009
Since this is the end of the Sighs arc, that means 4 more episodes till Disappearance! (Episode 00, Live A Live, Day of Sagittarius, Someday in The Rain). That is, if this wasn't the last episode of season 2. Anyways, we'll just have to wait 4 weeks to find out.
Sep 10, 2009 11:13 AM

Feb 2009
http://anime.webnt.jp/program/index.php?pg_page=tv_detail&detail=2767

I've never seen an official future episode listing but it seems that the Newtype site does show TMoHS (2009) ending at 28 episodes. Well, it doesn't say it's the last but it's very likely that episode 28 will be Someday in the Rain and the final episode listed under the 'TMoHS' title.
Sep 10, 2009 11:27 AM

Nov 2008
Vinhthehero said:
Since this is the end of the Sighs arc, that means 4 more episodes till Disappearance! (Episode 00, Live A Live, Day of Sagittarius, Someday in The Rain). That is, if this wasn't the last episode of season 2. Anyways, we'll just have to wait 4 weeks to find out.

Rumors. Most likely fake rumors. I'm expecting Disappearance in December 18 or 2010. Not a day sooner.
Sep 10, 2009 12:14 PM

Jan 2009
If that's the case, we can expect a new season of Haruhi Suzumiya which will start off with Disappearance and more new episodes from that point on.
Sep 10, 2009 1:51 PM
Jul 2018
Uh, felt a bit rushed this ep :v

It's interesting we didn't get any "Disappearance" although nearly all rumors before this airing said that 2nd season will cover it.
Sep 10, 2009 2:05 PM

Jan 2009
so it ended?
Sorry for grammar mistakes(if any), english is not my native language. Feel free to correct me if you see some.
Sep 10, 2009 3:20 PM

Oct 2008
ariapokoteng said:
so it ended?
Yup. Great, wasn't it? (sarcasm)
Sep 10, 2009 3:26 PM

Jan 2009
I wouldn't mind if it ended as long as a new season starts. This so called 'season' wasn't that great. It's not really a season anyways, it was just a re-airing of season 1 with new episodes which should have been aired when season 1 was originally aired. I don't know why they left out a few episodes and mixed the episodes in a random order. If anybody knows, please explain. o3o
Sep 10, 2009 6:35 PM

Nov 2007
Movie ended...

Koizumi is not trustable?
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Sep 10, 2009 6:38 PM

Oct 2008
I think the creators either A.) didn't quite realize how popular the show was going to become and only chose a few to animate or B.) purposely planned it to be unique and follow the tradition of the light novel's non-chronological order. Either way, I'm glad they switched it.

I'm not totally sure I believe that this season will be more than 28 episodes. I feel like if we get more Haruhi soon, it'll be on December 18 as a surprise 3rd season or as the movie we heard rumors about (which I think would be really cool.)

But I do think the Disappearance will be shown soon, it just has to be from all the advertising for it.
Sep 10, 2009 7:28 PM

Jan 2009
All the newly created episodes of the current broadcast of Haruhi have been exhausted with the latest episode, leaving only further repeats.

Newtype has already published official schedules indicating the remaining four episodes are repeats from the original series, so unless the final episode is modified in some way (or replaced entirely), a prospect which Haruhi-ists will doubtless cling to until the bitter end, the “Disappearance” arc initially promised for the new series has entirely disappeared.

There is some speculation that continuations may come by way of a new PSP game or the entirely hypothetical Haruhi movie, but otherwise it seems the franchise will be dead for another three years, if indeed it ever revives…

Link: http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2009/09/11/haruhi-new-season-ends-disappearance-disappears/

I think Kyoani did Endless Eight for 8 episodes on purpose -_- They could have finished Endless Eight with maybe 3 episodes and do Disappearance with 5 episodes after Someday In The Rain. Instead they saved themselves the trouble.

So we get 14 new episodes of Haruhi Suzumiya, 8 of them were the same things over and over. Bamboo Rhapsody was great, I felt it was done quickly but it was good for a new episode of Haruhi. The first episode of Endless Eight was alright, then the second one was decent and after that it repeats until the 8th episode. Sighs was a good arc, it stayed true to the novel. That toke 5 episodes and I can see why, the novel was long! Endless Eight was just a short chapter.

-Waits for a new season-
Sep 10, 2009 7:47 PM
Mar 2009
See you guys in another three years.
Sep 10, 2009 9:00 PM

Apr 2009
omimon said:
See you guys in another three years.

You mean another twenty years, right? Seriously, with all the trolling Kadokawa and KyoAni have done, i'd be surprised if we only had to wait three years.
Sep 10, 2009 9:15 PM

Aug 2007
If there ever was a movie, I'd rather see the whole Winter trip as a movie, it just had that movie vibe when I read it, more than disappearance, who could need an OVA release or be part of the TV series.

Anyway, disappearance will probably not be aired with this season, unless, just like for endless eight, they're playing with words and acted as if the arc "disappeared" from the schedule. That'd be pushing it a bit much though.

Do you like mushrooms?
Sep 10, 2009 9:26 PM

Jan 2009
Disappearance felt like it should be a movie to me. It's good enough to even have it's own MAL page. The Snow Mountain Syndrome chapter is good too, it's pretty long and there was drama and it gives you the ominous vibe, like you don't know what could happen at any moment. It felt creepy to me when I read it at night. But it was just a chapter, if it was even longer it could be long enough to make into a movie while Disappearance was a whole novel.
Sep 10, 2009 11:35 PM

Aug 2008
Shamisen = Super Cool!

XD
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Sep 11, 2009 12:56 AM
Mar 2009
Good episode to apparently end season two. Sighs was definitely a story I needed to see to explain all the trippiness from the first episode in the first season (I watched the aired version).

I was a little puzzled at the end when Kyon tried to spill the beans about their companions to Haruhi but she didn't want to believe it. If she wants espers, time travelers, and aliens to exist I would've thought she would have accepted what Kyon was telling her, but I guess it was one of those "too good to be true" kinds of things.
Sep 11, 2009 1:17 AM

Oct 2008
a very nice episode, must say i've really enjoyed the past few in particular. i hope this isn't the end. what with EE and all, i was hoping to have a lot more. still, the presentation of the arc was well-done, and i'd be alight with it if this were the last episode, very good.
olmecalmightySep 11, 2009 1:21 AM
Sep 11, 2009 1:40 AM

Jan 2009
Oddly enough, this last episode had a few scenes with the original animation, which I loved. The cat wins the episode for me. But anyway good episode, the arc ended as it should, and once more Kyo/Ani KADOKAWA trolls the diarreha out of us; The Disappearance arc initially promised for the new series has entirely disappeared. Yet i'm quietly satisfied that they won't include it with this extremely shity animation since, so far, its the most epic book of the novels, and to watch it animated this way is just ridiculous.

4/10 for me, The Sighs were fairly entertaining but doesn't make up for the piece of crap named Endless Eight.

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
Sep 11, 2009 1:44 AM
Jul 2009
PsychFreak said:
Good episode to apparently end season two. Sighs was definitely a story I needed to see to explain all the trippiness from the first episode in the first season (I watched the aired version).

I was a little puzzled at the end when Kyon tried to spill the beans about their companions to Haruhi but she didn't want to believe it. If she wants espers, time travelers, and aliens to exist I would've thought she would have accepted what Kyon was telling her, but I guess it was one of those "too good to be true" kinds of things.

While I'm glad they included this at the end, they definitely screwed it up. Or more like they exactly everyone has read the books, and put it on the end as a surprise. Originally the conversation takes place in the prologue, not the epilogue. Also in the prologue it is stated that it happened nearly 6 months ago. So basically remember at the very end of the original story when Koizumi, Asahina, and Nagato don't show up, leaving Kyon and Haruhi alone on a "date?" That is most likely when it occurred. I bet if I go and watch that part she will be wearing the same clothes as she was shown in. (I haven't done it yet though).

But yeah, that conversation 6 months prior is strongly suggested to be what Haruhi based her movie off of. So the plot of the movie was indirectly Kyon's idea, which is very important for Kyonist theories (Which only gain more support as the series continues).
XerainSep 11, 2009 1:54 AM
Sep 11, 2009 2:09 AM

Sep 2007
I've been really looking forward to Shamisen and I wasn't disappointed. So it looks like the last episode was as good as the first, saves the series from an overall 1 after all.

It was weird though how this episode started as suddenly as the last one ended... as if they had this episode as a double-feature and had to cut in in half right in the middle of a dialogue. :/
Sep 11, 2009 2:47 AM

Aug 2009
I enjoyed this episode, favorite parts being Shamisen and the hydrocannon handguns.

And now we wait for the real Season 2.
Ha-cha!
Sep 11, 2009 2:52 AM

Jul 2007
I loved this episode...

Im surprised that noone mentioned the somehwat "dark atmosphere" of this episode.

Koizumi saying all this about killing, massacres etc. I see potential for a future conflict between him and Asahina... :o

Dunno. Kyon was again epic this ep. I totally love his reactions every time lol. Like with the cat(Cats voice was awesome :D )or in the end trying to say the truth to Haruhi.
Oh well...

Im kinda surprised i love this show so much. First time i watched first season with the airing order i thought it sucked hard. I rewatched it few days ago and ended up giving it a 9 :)

Anyways i hope for more Haruhi in the furure^^
Sep 11, 2009 3:07 AM

Aug 2009
I don't remember the last scene being in the book.
-Fixing-
Sep 11, 2009 3:11 AM
Aug 2007
This is the Haruhi I know and love, if only the rest of the season had been like this.

Wilio said:
I don't remember the last scene being in the book.

Reminded me of what happened at the end of the first novel/season, when it's just Kyon and Haruhi on one of her "Search for Mysterious Events".
B614BAAD8E7A6E10Sep 11, 2009 3:16 AM
Sep 11, 2009 4:11 AM
Mar 2009
I loved this episode.

What happened to Disappearance though? All the rumours I've heard said that this season would cover it. Aaaand it was an awesome book.

The end of this ep was a bit weird though..wasn't it from a prologue? It made me sad because of the end-of-series-ish feel it gave me. D:

I hope for a third season that includes Disappearance. I loved that novel and can't believe EE had so many eps; they don't have time for filler. T_T

Another 14 episodes in three years time? Who knows.
rachelofpieSep 11, 2009 4:21 AM
Sep 11, 2009 4:19 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
the last scene was very funny :)

It was very cute when Haruhi looked back but then quickly looked away and Kyon smiled :3
p r o f i l e 👀
Sep 11, 2009 4:24 AM

Jul 2009
Haruhi season 3?

.........Please?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines!
Sep 11, 2009 4:25 AM

Jun 2009
Loved this episode, there were so many nice shots with Yuki:
AgressoRSep 11, 2009 4:28 AM
Sep 11, 2009 4:59 AM

Jan 2009
This episode was awesome , especially the ending i love it and i want more MMOARR!
Sep 11, 2009 5:24 AM
Mar 2009
If you go by the manga (which I am at the moment as I haven't the light novels), then yes, it happens right after the Melancholy. It's even shown the exact same way in the manga, except put right there, not as a flashback, but as the real wrap up to the Melancholy's story.

And once more we see how Kyon influences Haruhi, first he makes her think of going to that High School, now the plot for a movie.

Once more we see that Koizumi is obviously hiding something, but I always knew he was, and I honestly can't wait to see the day that he finally cracks and becomes even a little more honest. I also always knew that Kyon couldn't trust Mikuru, even more so than Koizumi, because she will never crack. She knows whats coming up most of the time, I think, despite how surprised she acts. She was way to passive, and her older self is way to self assured. Even if you went through what Haruhi put her through, that would only make her worse, not better. And in the shopping chapter in the manga (not animated unfortunately), she is way more confident and happy than usual. You can constantly see various forms of her real personality shining through at times, and it annoys me that Kyon refuses to acknowledge it.

Once more, we see that the only person Kyon can truly trust is Yuki, she protects him at all times from Mikuru (and I'm starting to think it's on purpose, those Mikuru beams were almost always directed at him in the beginning, but after she knew about it, they WERE ALWAYS directed at him.) I'm pretty sure she wants to tell him what's going on, and that she knows he would understand it all, but she has her orders not to and that she knows he won't start distrusting Mikuru.

All out, great episode, great arc, plot points that won't be answered till the final book (probably, I don't know yet) being revealed, seriously, they could use some of the elements they have in this series and write the best damned James Bond movie in history.

Sep 11, 2009 5:33 AM

Mar 2009
CinemaZebra said:
ariapokoteng said:
so it ended?
Yup. Great, wasn't it? (sarcasm)

LOL!
Sep 11, 2009 5:55 AM

Mar 2008
That was good episode. Even better than the already nice last one. I like that semi-dark atmosphere in my Haruhi-show.

Shamisen was great and those high pressure guns were quite fun. Those two guys from the other dimension were nice, too, though I didn't know that reference.

Anyone else who got the reference in the beginning, where Haruhi walked away humming "Walkürenritt" by Wagner?

The dialogues between the protagonists were interesting too and like last episode throws a different light on the whole show. Makes you crave for more.

Anyway, if this is all from this episode rating this is quite troublesome. Endless eight was a crazy and controversal idea yet somehow really boring. I could tolerate this but several other episode where kind of boring, too. The first and the two recent episodes were great, though. I tend to go for a 7, but I am not really sure.
Sep 11, 2009 6:00 AM
Mar 2009
I find it odd how they moved when Kyon tells Haruhi that Nagato is a alien and what not to the end of Sigh. I always thought the Haruhi got the idea for the movie partly because Kyon told that story, which is why they acted the supernatural creatures they really are.
Sep 11, 2009 6:03 AM
Mar 2009
Forever said:
Those two guys from the other dimension were nice, too, though I didn't know that reference.

Notice how they only turned up after Kyon mentioned another dimension...

Sep 11, 2009 6:11 AM

Aug 2007
The last episode xD

Just kidding.
Sep 11, 2009 8:42 AM
Dec 2007
Good final episode, and the best of the arc. Probably the best of the season too, with a nice direction and some plot developments (not that Haruhi has a lot of developments, it's extremely slow and by no mean a straightforward series). Finally, after all has been said and done, and as expected, the most interesting and entertaining part of this second season was the Endless Eight arc, that I was eagerly expecting each week. The rest was too normal and conventional to be featured in a series such as this one.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Sep 11, 2009 10:03 AM

Sep 2008
season 5/10
Sep 11, 2009 10:37 AM
Jul 2009
I've been trying to get my cat to talk for a couple years now....LOL Where's a Haruhi if you need one?

Easily one of my favorite episodes in this series.
Sep 11, 2009 11:09 AM

Apr 2009
Shamisen's voice was sex

Sep 11, 2009 11:54 AM

Jul 2008
felt like a last ep and it really is the last one? this sure was a good ep and that they start to doubt each other makes me really curious.
that end was simply totally awesome. if its really the last ep i am still satisfied with it.

Sep 11, 2009 12:05 PM

Aug 2009
awesome episode. shame it was the last one.
i already forgot about the endless8 XD
looking forward to a new season.
Sep 11, 2009 12:47 PM

May 2008
Davison said:
hahaha final part xD
haruhi and kyon
i lmao @ what Haruhi and Kyon were talking about
at the end..XD
Sep 11, 2009 12:54 PM

Jan 2009
Well,the season 2 has ended(probably) but on mal it didn't end yet.Probably the admins are waiting for something...
"If people want to achieve time travel,they should just put Haruhi on a spaceship.She'd probably just ignore the theory of relativity." - Kyon
Sep 11, 2009 1:03 PM

Jan 2009
Well that was the last 'new' episode for the 2009 re-airing. Now it has to air the rest of the old episodes that was from season 1. There's just 4 left and after that who knows. It's probably over though since we were suppose to get 28 episodes this season, that included the re-airing of season 1 and 14 new episodes. We probably can't expect Disappearance until another season, maybe in Winter/December or something. Since that's when it toke place, along with episodes after that.
Sep 11, 2009 1:55 PM

Jul 2009
this anime is so.. bleh
its just bleh lol. iono even how to describe it.
it just leaves me saying "wtf was that"..
Sep 11, 2009 1:56 PM

May 2007
Wait, so that's it for season 2? No Disappearance? Sigh.
All the conflict between Mikuru and Koizumi was interesting, but still x___x'

Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

CinemaZebra - Aug 5, 2009

535 by Unoriginality »»
Apr 11, 9:07 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kappaka - May 21, 2009

449 by Ryan_the_Bread »»
Mar 30, 1:13 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Jul 30, 2009

276 by Alkimia »»
Feb 28, 11:45 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

game8910 - Jul 23, 2009

360 by Alkimia »»
Feb 28, 11:27 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Jul 16, 2009

470 by Alkimia »»
Feb 28, 10:17 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.