Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Apr 6, 2014 6:32 PM

Oct 2011
The next Inui senpai !!!!!!! XDDD

Taking notes as the match progress and calculates the winning match
Apr 6, 2014 6:48 PM

Apr 2011
ownosourus said:
Not bad, not bad at all. I was wondering if we'll get a decent sports show this season.

Haikyuu! and Ping Pong say hello.
Apr 6, 2014 6:59 PM

Apr 2011
Always thought Natsu was a guys name, but know I know better. Natsu a total cutie, reminds me strongly of Nishino Tsukasa.

E-chan hair doo reminds me of a rooster head and his rival looks tough...

Glad there was no crazy Prince of Tennis stuff going on in the beginning. OP/ED was nice.
Apr 6, 2014 7:03 PM

Nov 2007
Stark700 said:
Natsu is a pro at it anyways.

You mean aim to become a pro, right? I know at this point there is no point pointing it out that you probably watch raw without knowing the slightest of Japanese language. But don't get me wrong. I actually got used to your first posts. And I think it's commendable that you go to such lengths just to create topics. Someone has to do it anyways!

As for the episode, it was okay I guess. My expectations aren't met, but not far off. Hope it improves. At this moment, it seems Haikyuu!! is the real deal, sports anime-wise in this season.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Apr 6, 2014 7:18 PM

Nov 2010
It's was good. but i'm hoping that it get's better.
Apr 6, 2014 7:21 PM

Jul 2012
IKKIsama said:
ownosourus said:
Not bad, not bad at all. I was wondering if we'll get a decent sports show this season.

Haikyuu! and Ping Pong say hello.

And also Abarenbou Kishi!! Matsutarou...not the first episode though.
Apr 6, 2014 7:30 PM

Jun 2012
Not even a single panty shot, what am I doing with my life?
Apr 6, 2014 7:35 PM
Jul 2012
Meh, iffy episode.

This episode doesn't interest me that much even I know the sport of Tennis. The characters are bleh from me liking them at all. Been seen the love type of characters in school anime before.

2/5
Will try three more episode or four if I end up dropping this show.
Apr 6, 2014 8:01 PM

Apr 2013
This actually interests me as I find most tennis anime boring. The only thing that bothers me is that clueless airhead look the blond girl has most of the time.
Apr 6, 2014 8:21 PM

Jul 2010
copperwolf said:
Baby Steps is the absolute BEST sports manga out there (IMO of course). The reason the show (and the manga) start off so slow is in the title. Baby Steps. One of my favorite lines from the manga comes at the end of chapter 90 and epitomizes what the story and Ei-chan are all about. "Baby steps to giant strides." Ei-chan's meticulous OCD nature and his strategic way of playing tennis makes the series a joy to watch/read as he goes from a complete newbie to a tennis player who can contend on the international stage. His earnest and innocent romance with Nacchan is another high point of the series.

For those who were put off by the slow first episode, STICK WITH IT. Baby Steps is a different breed of sports anime/manga and Ei-chan is a MUCH MUCH more unique and interesting protagonist in a sports anime.

Baby steps to Giant strides.
Yeah I kinda get your point and I've noticed the potential of the show too, and you're confirming my expectations. Got my hype up, looking forward to next episodes.
Apr 6, 2014 9:23 PM

Feb 2008
I actually thought the show was interesting. I'll keep watching this one.
Apr 6, 2014 9:43 PM

Feb 2010
japanda said:
Realistic sports anime? Sign me up!

Dying art these days.
Apr 7, 2014 2:23 AM

Jul 2011
It's weird when I can relate to the MC so much. =.="
Only difference between us seems to be his personality...

Not liking the girl. Getting the notes dirty was just... also her whole character.
And looks like she will be the girl he'll end up with. OTL

On another note, I love the realism! First warm-up is pretty dang painful for someone who doesn't exercise, I can vouch for that! But seeing that he will improve so tremendously is nice to see (during the beginning sequence). Baby Steps indeed! I picked up the series because I love strategy and realism in sports and Ei-chan totally fits the bill!
Apr 7, 2014 2:33 AM

Oct 2010
That was pretty good. I'm a big POT fan (Prince of tennis). I'm surprised on how accurate they got club tennis and the actual movements. It was kinda nostalgic, because I took the city championship my first year of tennis. I remember studying and taking notes on tennis, when I started.

The character design and personalities are no where near as good as POT, but the overall tennis animation is a lot better (realistically speaking). Then again, this anime doesn't have players smashing holes in the ground and breaking the laws of physics.
Apr 7, 2014 3:47 AM

Apr 2013
tbh this isn't bad, decent start
some ambiences, scenes and characters were awks at times
Like the OP though!!
hope it becomes much better in time!
Apr 7, 2014 6:00 AM

Sep 2010
I enjoyed it quite a lot. Maybe this will focus on the romance aspect more. Looking forward to next week
Apr 7, 2014 7:50 AM

Feb 2011
Huh, not bad at all, that was really fun. Gotta get used to the art though, it's quite different from what I usually see. The grade shcool kid was a bit annoying though.

Also, the opening is SO freaking good!
Apr 7, 2014 8:00 AM

Oct 2010
That was a pretty slow start, this show is making me nostalgic of Chihayafuru.

Tumblr |  Anime List | 🌷🌼

Apr 7, 2014 8:19 AM

Mar 2014
This looks more interesting than Haikyuu!!
Apr 7, 2014 10:55 AM

Jul 2010
I enjoyed the episode, but it is a bit of a slow starter. (The manga was too.) I hope they move through some of the early stuff and get to the later part of the story pretty quickly.

Apr 7, 2014 12:53 PM

Mar 2009
my very 1st tennis anime~ hope this series entertain me~
Apr 7, 2014 12:57 PM

Oct 2010
LiLSatan said:

Blasphemy! You must watch Prince of tennis.
Apr 7, 2014 1:23 PM

Mar 2009
monokuma-k said:
LiLSatan said:

Blasphemy! You must watch Prince of tennis.

nah~ didn't like it, when i saw an episode of it with some kind of finishing moves. I kinda want it normal~
Apr 7, 2014 2:23 PM

Apr 2012
Good first episode buy some pantie shots when the girl was playing tennis would've been appreciated hahaha, i didn't think that i'd like the main character but he seems all right, his school notes are the complete opposite of mine when i was in school lol.
Apr 7, 2014 3:58 PM

Aug 2013
The end of that OP was just too corny..

It was ok. Not my type of comedy, but I like the lighthearted tone.

Is anyone else terrified by how weird their eyes and pupils are positioned? I would hide too...
Apr 7, 2014 7:03 PM

Jan 2008
This feels like a very poorly animated series with what we've had recently. I like how so many background things are just like, not doing anything. Like during the lunch scene the girls in the background weren't moving at all in the slightest bit nor even blinking the entire time. When it showed the surfers during the walk home, I cringed at how badly it was. The character designs for anyone who isn't the two MC's shown in this episode were like "shit, I don't care about these characters, I'll just draw something side character quality."

Also, the main characters hair is probably the first hairstyle that has bothered me in a very long time.

For a sport anime, the first episode was definitely not that motivational compared to other and recent titles.

Though you can definitely say this show won't be fujoshi or otaku pandering.
Apr 7, 2014 11:43 PM

Sep 2012
Didn't like the first episode. Too slow for my taste.
Apr 8, 2014 5:23 AM

Feb 2012
Great start, I like the characters and the setting.
Apr 8, 2014 5:35 AM

Jan 2011
MC is a big neeeeeeeeeeeeeerd, with a fohawk for some reason.

Anyway I quite liked this even though it didn't really have much tennis yet.
Apr 8, 2014 3:17 PM

Apr 2013
Other than the main character's hair, the episode was interesting enough for me to pick up. But if i compare it to Prince of Tennis, this series seemed inferior and boring as hell xD

Oh and I hate the female heroine already and the series feels REALLY slow.

I'll probably drop by episode 3-5 unless something really interesting happens (like the appearance of a rival)

Mhm... Actually the entire episode felt really slow and boring, I actually got sleepy once i finished watching this episode... May drop it after the 2nd episode at this rate
duderusApr 8, 2014 3:37 PM

Apr 8, 2014 9:41 PM
Oct 2013
Wow.. I'm glad I decided to watch this.. This is good, although I would have been irritated by the main girl if she didn't apologized and I'm glad she did although it seems superficial? (maybe because of her personality).. I like this kind anime, sports anime that did not seem mainstream and fast pace.. I want to quickly see his grow like the one in the intro when he plays in the tournament one year later.. I'm also glad I'm not too picky when it comes to character design, so I don't have problem with it..
I cannot bring myself to rate anime that I have completed below 5. Well, it just because I have use up my precious time to watch it. so, the worse you will get from me is 5 (changes may apply)
Apr 8, 2014 9:44 PM

Jun 2007
I'm hoping for a good mix of sports and romance, not something on the same level as Cross Game or anything as there's no way this will be remotely anywhere near what that show is - but just a good balance. I really like the lead girl (not sure why she's unpopular in this thread with some people) and sports shows are much better when they are focused more on the characters and how the sport effects their lives rather than being a show simply about "I want to be the best at this sport and there is nothing else to me". So I'm hoping the romance isn't just thrown in and that character development is a main focus.

If not, still like it so far regardless.
Apr 8, 2014 10:45 PM

Oct 2007
I was kind of hoping to like this cause a lot of sports shows of late have been among my favorites but that was just really dull and left very little impression. The characters weren't really interesting, the art was kind of bad, the pace was slow and it just lacked any sort of personality or insight into the sport of Tennis. Really there wasn't even much Tennis. Maybe I'm misidentifying this as a sports show and it's just supposed to be something else but whatever it is nothing about this really stood out to me.
Apr 9, 2014 10:10 PM

May 2011
Just keep watching, you guys. Or read the manga.

Baby Steps is one of the best sports manga ever.
Apr 9, 2014 11:37 PM

Jun 2009
Looks pretty good, nothing really stood out but I'll keep it up I guess.

Edit: I do like how Ei-Chan keeps those notebooks, though.
Ston3_FreeN7Apr 10, 2014 8:16 AM
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Apr 10, 2014 7:26 AM

Dec 2011
Well there's no harm in continuing with it I guess.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Apr 10, 2014 10:24 AM

Nov 2010
Ei and Natsu seems like a nice future couple
The way Kageyama lunch and picks his nose was just disgusting

Some decent animations were from the tennis movements
Apr 10, 2014 3:04 PM

Dec 2012
Haha the main character seems so quirky. Kinda reminds me of Ippo. I guess i'll watch on to see how it progresses.
Apr 10, 2014 6:53 PM

Jul 2013
I'm definitely going to finish this series, because I just love everything about the sport, and this is really my first serious anime about tennis.

It wasn't as realistic as I thought it was going to be though.
It's really not possible to become that good with a year of practice. I mean I've been playing for 7 years and Ei looks like he can beat me.
lol
Apr 11, 2014 3:58 AM

Jul 2010
Dat hair XD

Was enjoyable. I like Ei-chan already^^

Damn, that guy at the end kinda looked like Kagami from Kuroko no Basket O.o
Hyuga Junpei: “Yeah… I’m confident… Because my teammates will help me out! I can shoot confidently.. because it will be okay even if I miss!”

Kagami Taiga: “I don’t know about being the bad guy or whatever. It’s only in stories where titles like that decide the loser. This is our show. We’re the ones who are writing the script.”
Apr 11, 2014 9:07 PM

Mar 2011
Hate the character design of the main character but overall good anime. Great art and music
[Input amazing signature]
Jelly?
Apr 12, 2014 4:00 PM
Aug 2007
I really like the tennis-playing motions, as well as the general animation. If it keeps up, this is going to be good.
Apr 13, 2014 4:10 AM
Feb 2011
Kerozinn said:
UnbornMVs said:
Kerozinn said:
after watching an episode of Haikyuu!! this felt extremely underwhelming.

as much as i like sports anime..this is still tennis..very boring. unless its tennis + magic.

the art,the animation,the characters, the sport ..i dont really like any of it.

tennis just bores me to death. wont pick up.

I don't really like people who watches first episodes knowing that they will hate it and then come here and complain , but well , it's MAL. You shouldn't have watched it in the first place if you hate tennis.

I personally liked it and really got into it. Characters are pretty unique and animation seems okay too , so I will continue with it.

4/5 for the episode.

i know it must annoy you to no end but i try to give every show a chance cause it happened a few times that i found a liking to something like american football (eyeshield 21 ) even tho i thought its the lamest sport on earth and then i watched 145 episodes in 2 weeks cause it was soo much fun.

but this show being about tennis is just 1 aspect that i dont like.
animation is okay yes but we have seen sooo much better in recent sports anime. ofcourse budget plays a role but there is nothing i can change about that.

i have no problems with you liking this and you shouldnt have a problem with me disliking this unless you are intolerant.

well you dont like it cuz it's more realistic.
Apr 13, 2014 10:20 PM
Feb 2014
im hatin on the hair
the girl has a manly face
but
but
but it looks like it will be a good watch
I only read books i have already read
Apr 13, 2014 11:43 PM

Nov 2012
Nothing really happened in the first episode, but as someone who played tennis I liked it. Ei-chan is really hopeless, he couldn't even get trough the warm-up. I wonder what will he do to succeed, I mean tennis isn't a sport you can pick up at a late age as 15. Oh, well, I think I am too much of a realist, I am looking forward to see what happens next.
KamaxApr 13, 2014 11:57 PM
"I can have food or drinks spilled on me, or even be spit at and ill laugh about it ,
However , If for any reason you hurt a friend of mine, I won't forgive you!"

- Red-Haired Shanks
Apr 14, 2014 7:42 AM
Aug 2012
I think this series will be decent as long as the romance part don't fall short. I will start this show at a 7 out of 10. Also like that unrealistic stuff don't happen (so far) like in that volleyball series.
Apr 14, 2014 9:16 AM

Oct 2013
Seems okay
Apr 16, 2014 8:03 PM

Aug 2013
So. Many. Nose-penis.
Seriously though, some of the character are too ugly, it's inhuman xD

Ahhh, the embarassing creepy stalker eye-contact :P
I already bet that at one point, Ei will get jealous and she will tell him that he already have a girlfriend. I bet my hand on that (okay, no, maybe more my dinner...).

I'm in a pretty much similar situation than him (without the smart aspect), I can't follow people in various sport activity. It's not that I'm fat, in fact, I'm kinda thin, but I just have no endurance because I don't practice sport a lot. When I had my depression, I stopped playing sport at all for more than one year so getting back on track now is really hard...

I was so sure she would fuck up his note. It was asking to happen.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Apr 17, 2014 12:18 PM

Sep 2013
I just can't take the MC seriously with that hair.
LOOOOOOOL just stahp.

Average show, might give it a few episodes.
Apr 19, 2014 12:20 AM

Jan 2008
Natsu looks a lot cuter in the manga...

overall the manga has better art which leaves me sighing but i guess i'll watch it since I loved the manga
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 21, 2014

93 by 1Konochi »»
Jun 14, 2023 5:49 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 14, 2014

55 by 1Konochi »»
Jun 14, 2023 2:40 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 7, 2014

54 by 1Konochi »»
Jun 5, 2023 12:04 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 24, 2014

52 by 1Konochi »»
May 27, 2023 10:16 AM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 17, 2014

51 by 1Konochi »»
May 26, 2023 2:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.