Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 14, 2009 4:42 PM

Nov 2007
I would like someone to please identify what is "anime." I have found various problems in the database that need more detailed clarification.

Foreign Anime
On the database there are works that have been created in Korea, such as There She Is, and Cheonnyeon-yeowoo Yeowoobi. Many series I've watched also had Koreans listed on the credits. Series where westerners were involved are also available, like Witchblade, Gotham Knight, and Basquash. However, series such as Avatar the Last Airbender were animated in Korea, and still not accepted.

Recap Specials, and Foreign Edits
There are also recap specials such as Death Note, Eureka Seven, and Kurokami.
For some reason though, the US produced recaps for Naruto, and Konjiki no Gash Bell are not allowed. The excuse of it was just a US edit also can't be made since DragonBall Z (US) has it's own entry. This also brings up the question of why 4kids edits of One Piece, Sonic X, Tokyo Mew Mew, and others don't get a entry of their own.

Music Videos
Why does the music video of 5cm Per Second get it's own entry? I can understand why music video's for other series can get submitted since there was new animation, but for this, it was nearly the same as a AMV. It doesn't take that much effort to make, and doesn't even have special effects added like the Seto no Hanayome Fan Disc. Also, do music video's have to be over a minute? The Hinagiku PV I had tried submitting it earlier, and it was said to be rejected for this reason.

Promo/Pilot
Promotional specials for Kiddy Grade 2, Ef, and Negima have been allowed onto the database. However the 2 original pilots for Sonic X (link1 link2) aren't allowed. These both feature original animation that are not featured on the TV series. One of them doesn't even give the same concept.

Doujin Anime
Unoriginal doujin anime also aren't allowed in the database. For example, the Touhou anime was rejected, since it's not related to the original creator. However, series likeThere She Is are there. I was wondering, could my own self produced ONA be allowed onto the database? It has yet to be released, and uses music sound effects that I don't legally own.
Also, there is currently a fully voiced manga project for the doujinshi, Onani Master Kurosawa. Since Picture Drama like Shigofumi and Code Geass are allowed, can this be accepted too?

Sorry for all the trouble, but these questions have bothered me for a while. Thanks.
ternalnodoreiAug 14, 2009 4:45 PM
Aug 16, 2009 1:24 AM
Sep 2007
Some points mentioned here are currently being discussed among the staff. Will reply here as soon as we make a final decision. Please be patient. What can I say for sure is you cannot add your self-produced ONA to our database...
Aug 16, 2009 3:09 AM
Nov 2007
While I've given my opinion to freedoleen, I want to give you my opinion directly (as per this thread).

1. Any cartoon produced by a Japanese anime studio, and/or for a Japanese audience is anime - even if the staff credits featured Westerners, Koreans, Chinese, aliens, dogs, etc.

So I would say that Korean cartoons shouldn't be added. But you know what, some of them are soooooo good, we don't really care if they're added. Take for instance, some manhwas MAL users read. We know they're not manga, yet most of us wouldn't complain they're here.

So make your own judgment/nitpick/whatever.

2. Recaps produced by an anime studio is acceptable. Foreign edits should not. So you've brought up a good issue MAL needs to address.

3. Music videos produced by an anime studio should be acceptable. I say "should" simply because some people nitpick about a number of constituents such as length, purpose, etc.

Just wait for the collective admin/mod response for this one.

4. Pilots are essentially introductory episodes. Similar to one-shots of series that have been serialised. Normally you'll find pilots as either episodes 00 or simply a standalone OVA or special that come before the series (e.g., Letter Bee). In my opinion, they are acceptable.

Promos, however, should not be accepted. The Sonic X "pilots" you posted seemed like promos. There were no credits - it was simply used to showcase the anime.

I'm pretty sure we don't accept promos here in MAL, but I am sure that we accept most pilot episodes - take for instance the Letter Bee special linked above.

5. From my understanding, the only doujin anime allowed featured original characters and produced as potential entertainment for the Japanese audience. That said, anything made that featured characters from original series shouldn't be added unless they were made by a Japanese anime studio and . A good example of an acceptable "doujin anime" is Charady's Daily Joke.

The voice project for Onani Master Kurokawa isn't acceptable unless it meets the above requirements, as well as with permission from the original author of the series.

Picture dramas are allowed since they are produced by Japanese anime studios.

Anyway, just wait for the collective admin/mod response. :P
radiantfireAug 16, 2009 3:14 AM
Aug 16, 2009 3:21 AM
Mar 2009
radiantfire said:
While I've given my opinion to freedoleen, I want to give you my opinion directly (as per this thread).

1. Any cartoon produced by a Japanese anime studio, and/or for a Japanese audience is anime - even if the staff credits featured Westerners, Koreans, Chinese, aliens, dogs, etc.

So I would say that Korean cartoons shouldn't be added. But you know what, some of them are soooooo good, we don't really care if they're added. Take for instance, some manhwas MAL users read. We know they're not manga, yet most of us wouldn't complain they're here.

So make your own judgment/nitpick/whatever.

I'll nitpick on that. There are a lot of manwha on MAL's database. Not all of them are good, not all of them are bad. But there are also Chinese ones on here.

Shouldn't it just be defined as 'Asian' comics then? Obviously they have slightly different names because of the differences in language.

And what about if something like "UnbalancexUnbalance" gets animated? It'll get animated by a Korean studio, but as far as I know, there's no different name for Korean animation. Will it be excluded or have a different name other than anime?

I don't see why you can't include things done in the 'anime' style in the database and just put them in the database as such.

Also, to the original poster, are you sure Avatar is made in Korea? I'm pretty sure it's an American production done anime style.

Aug 16, 2009 5:22 AM
Nov 2007
Yeah, you're right about manga being the same thing as manhua and manwha, with the exception that they come from different countries, feature different languages, and cultural stylings. However, if we started to address manhua or manwha as a whole, then we would start to address a higher classification - that is, 'Asian comics.'

If we start to do that, some MAL users would then nitpick as to why we don't do the same for the anime database. Then some users are going to go that extra stretch to say, "Why don't we add English cartoons and comic series?"

Can you see where I'm going? It'll never end. People are going to nitpick until there's nothing to nitpick; then they'll nitpick about that.

I believe the admins and mods here in MAL disregard being so bureaucratic as to what is added in the database. Sure we want to be consistent, but we don't want to block off every thing that isn't considered anime or manga. Some manwha get a fair amount of scanlation, and have thus been added.

We use our own judgment as to whether to add a series or not. I would gladly approve a manga addition if I knew people are going to follow it - as I am sure most anime mods would approve an UnbalancexUnbalance anime series.

Nitpicking can only get you so far. Just turn a blind eye if you disapprove, lol.
radiantfireAug 16, 2009 5:26 AM
Aug 16, 2009 10:55 AM

Nov 2007
chinlamp said:

Also, to the original poster, are you sure Avatar is made in Korea? I'm pretty sure it's an American production done anime style.

It's more like a collaboration. As far as I know, the storyboards, script, character designs, etc are first made in the US. Then the animation is done in Korea, and sent back to the America for final revision, and adding sound.
Aug 21, 2009 8:50 AM

Feb 2009
Isn't manhua, manga, and manhwa the same hanzi/kanji/hanja/ in all 3 languages? Wouldn't that kinda make them the same thing? Sure they all have different styles of drawing. But manga alone has many distinct styles.
YuuzoraAug 21, 2009 8:54 AM
Sep 3, 2009 8:59 PM

Aug 2008
I will not rest until there's American Anime. >:D
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Nov 29, 2009 1:27 PM

Jul 2008
radiantfire said:

I believe the admins and mods here in MAL disregard being so bureaucratic as to what is added in the database. Sure we want to be consistent, but we don't want to block off every thing that isn't considered anime or manga. Some manwha get a fair amount of scanlation, and have thus been added.

I totally agree with the premise of this argument but I can see where its actually a lot more complicated than you are making it. As you noted yourself, manwha is added to the database even though nobody is even trying to claim its manga, simply because some of the moderators really like it. I'm sure some people would take offense to this but I'm fine with it.

But then we run into issues like "can AMV Hell be included in the database?" and yeah, from a strict "is this anime?" standpoint it can't. But then people remember your argument and suddenly it feels like "exceptions are made when the moderators feel like it" which seems extremely unfair. Why should some people's tastes be given greater merit simply because they are moderators? I think an effort should me made to either streamline the submission process or make it more democratic. Perhaps some sort of polling could be employed? Sure, this might mean that some "fake anime" sneak in, but then again AEon Flux can hardly claim any more validity than Avatar and yet it can be found in the database.
Dec 6, 2009 7:40 PM
Sep 2007
Dec 6, 2009 7:47 PM

Jul 2008
freedoleen said:
Should answer the questions.
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=141101

Well, that certainly goes a long way and I thank you for it; but it still fails to address a lot of the entries mentioned on this forum. Also, I find myself very perturbed by the line "Exception: Dragon Ball Z USA". Why does it get an exception? If nothing else, why aren't shows like "Cardcaptors" which have a different title, number of episodes, and plot than the original get their own entry?
Dec 6, 2009 8:02 PM
Sep 2007
We were advised to not remove Dragon Ball Z (U.S.) entry. Reason? Its huge popularity.

Popularity: #176
Members: 18,789

So we're keeping it for these 18,789 members. You may think it's silly, but we decided to not remove it for the convenience of these users.

Please note:
Anime DB Guidelines said:
Please note these have been written as general guidelines only. The site administrator, database administrators and anime moderators reserve the right to append, remove and change the following rules as they see fit to maintain an orderly and consistent database.
freedo-Dec 7, 2009 10:09 AM
Dec 8, 2009 5:17 PM

Jul 2008
shadowcat2323 said:
Also, I find myself very perturbed by the line "Exception: Dragon Ball Z USA". Why does it get an exception? If nothing else, why aren't shows like "Cardcaptors" which have a different title, number of episodes, and plot than the original get their own entry?

I must say, I feel the same as shadowcat2323. Though I understand your (the moderators') point for making such a decision I'm still unsure on how I feel about it.
If I may ask, is the US version of Dragon Ball any different than the original serires? I saw some of the episodes are missing, but is there any other difference than this one? I would think it probably got censored as anime airing outside of Japan usually do...
------------------------
Database Guidelines
Denials: anime | manga
Modifications: anime | manga
-----------------------------------
Dec 8, 2009 9:07 PM
Dec 2008
freedoleen said:
We were advised to not remove Dragon Ball Z (U.S.) entry. Reason? Its huge popularity.

Popularity: #176
Members: 18,789

So we're keeping it for these 18,789 members. You may think it's silly, but we decided to not remove it for the convenience of these users.

I'm still confused at what MAL actually is. If it is a casual place to keep up with what anime you are watching I can see why you would want to merge everything together, if it is a serious database on anime then it would make the most sense to split everything up that has been altered (shows having different episode counts, storylines etc. etc.) because they are truly a different entity than that of it's original.

I love these rules and what you guys have done for MAL but I really think there should be no exceptions to the rules one way or another.
Dec 9, 2009 11:50 AM

Aug 2008
I started a topic in Anime Discussion a while back: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=108048. Looking at the dates, I was a few days after sonicspin posted this one, but w/e. My original premise I can now tell was rather a bit off, and I've since changed my opinion somewhat. There was quite a bit of back & forth, but not much else.

My views are such:
• I completely agree with Kyuu4's various points there. My main reason for wondering about the definition of 'anime' is whether an anime can originate elsewhere but Japan. One example would be, what if an American/European/non-J/K/C company wanted to make an anime? Another, what if a Japanese studio, really liking the stories & designs of an America writer/artist, hired them to work on an original series?
Hypeathon also makes a good point in the final post. Anime is a style, and non-J/K/C artists & studios should be able to use it and label it as such.
• Yojiro made good point (as have others) about the target audience defining anime. In my opinion, it's best to combine these definitions:
Anime is an animation which either: created with the intent of a primarily Japanese (or other accepted Asian) audience; or intentionally created in a recognizably 'anime' style, usually visually.

However —

This has very little impact on the recently announced MAL Database Guidelines. As per Clobclark's post, the purpose of MAL's database is rather ambiguous. I'm not sure this is the appropriate place to post my opinions on this, but I'd tend towards wanting a more "casual place" model with exceptions in individual cases.
脱ぎません!_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ .

Feb 8, 2010 3:43 AM

Dec 2009
I'm not sure how much good this will do, if any, at this point, but if it helps anyone - moderators or otherwise - I'd like to contribute.

The single defining factor for what I do and do not consider anime has always been whether or not it was originally released in the Japanese language, regardless of if or how it was later redubbed or rewritten into other languages. Hence, shows like Avatar, The Boondocks, and possibly IGPX (I'm not fully aware of the details on that particular example) wouldn't be considered anime. Does this definition cause any problems in terms of non-anime/manga content, though? I can only imagine it clashing with user-created material such as the afforementioned music videos or promotions, but there's always the distinct possibility that I'm just plain ignorant.
Feb 17, 2010 2:23 PM
Sep 2007
Just wanted to let you guys know I'm following this thread. You're not being ignored. It's just from what I see you all have very different opinions on what should be included in the database and yes, it's also different from our definition. I cannot say you are wrong or right, cause at this point things depend on the point of view. For you something should be added to database, for us not. We tend to not change our decisions easily, but keep your ideas coming. Some reasonable input is always welcome.

Also, I answered Clobclark's and JadeMatrix's question here.
Mar 12, 2010 4:27 PM
Mar 2009
Keeping something because of its popularity sounds to me like hypocrisy. So if I gather 20k posts of users saying they want Avatar in, would you include it?

The problem with exceptions is that once you have one, you've broken your own integrity. There's guidelines, and there's 'how much the site will bend over because of x people wanting some new / different".
Mar 13, 2010 2:31 AM
Sep 2007
pedosensei said:
Keeping something because of its popularity sounds to me like hypocrisy. So if I gather 20k posts of users saying they want Avatar in, would you include it?

Nope. The situation with Avatar is completely different.

Keeping DBZ (US) was a compromise we needed to make to be able to publish the guidelines. We don't plan any more exceptions like that.
Mar 13, 2010 1:34 PM
Mar 2009
Why did you need to make a compromise to be able to publish the guidelines? Can't guidelines work retroactively?
Mar 13, 2010 11:39 PM
Sep 2007
They do work retroactively. A lot has been removed from the database after they have been published. But this one entry is an exception from all rules. If it bothers you, make a thread about it in this sub-board (without a poll). If we see a lot of people wanting it gone, we may reconsider the whole thing.
Mar 17, 2010 8:20 PM

Mar 2008
I don't really like the "intended for x audience" way of judging what is anime. Anime is becoming increasingly international on the market so there will be much more diverse and we'll probably be seeing shows aimed more for audinces overseas than Japanese. It's no accident Cowboy Bebop has been such a successes in the U.S. it was more geared for Western Audiences than Japanese. I think just judging by the amount of Japanese staffing and input into an anime is the best way to go rather than try to gauge who is made for what. I mean I can see why Avatar would not be accepted it was created by Americans with an American company. Dr. Movie does it's animation but that is just outsourced, and I don't know much about Dante's Inferno but from reading around here it does sound like it was outsourced work to foreign studios.

I could be making too much over semantics but it usually does matter.

EDIT: Also as a matter of curiosity why do we accept music videos like CLAMP in Wonderland, First Squad, Falling Down, into the database but not game cutscenes?
My Channel Anime Reviews, Unboxings and More
Drak Shadow For LetsPlays and Movie Vlogs
Mar 18, 2010 7:40 AM
Sep 2007
We removed the word "intended" some time ago as users (including you) made a similar point as you now. It's still "Japan for the Japanese market", but as explained below it, it just means the show has to be released in Japan. Like I mentioned on some occasion, we avoid judging something by its content in that aspect. We really don't want to decide if something was more geared for Western or Japanese audience based on its style etc. The background of the entry/the way it was released is what's important to us. Despite what the intended audience really is, if something hasn't been released in Japan/Korea/China at all, we don't see it appropriate to list it on MAL, even if it complies with other rules.

Game cut-scenes are not allowed because they are not stand-alone. They're part of the games. Unless producers release them completely separately on DVD, but it doesn't happen very often. Even if we forget about it for a minute, how would we deal with their length? By measuring it with a stopwatch while playing the game?...
freedo-Mar 18, 2010 7:43 AM
Mar 19, 2010 3:46 PM
Mar 2009
There is some amount of hypocrisy in your last post, freedoleen. mal uses highly subjective times for the duration of shows, take for example naruto, where the stated duration is 23 min.

In essence, there is no official source that would agree with that. That's just some person opening up a ripped naruto chapter (without advertisements) and looking at the length. It's a highly unreliable system.

The actual 'length' of naruto chapters is 27 to 30 minutes, depending on the broadcast period. If you arbitrarely state the length of some Internet-based rip, you completely ignore all Japanese out there who watch naruto on television.

See my point? _all_ of mal is subjective times, so throwing in your stopwatch argument isn't very effective.
pedosenseiMar 19, 2010 3:52 PM
Mar 20, 2010 7:13 AM
Dec 2008
pedosensei said:
The actual 'length' of naruto chapters is 27 to 30 minutes, depending on the broadcast period. If you arbitrarely state the length of some Internet-based rip, you completely ignore all Japanese out there who watch naruto on television.

The times are just a guesstimation, The DVD version of Naruto doesn't have commercials anyway so Naruto really would be around 23 minutes.

I think the main part of Freedoleen's post you should look at is the stand-alone portion. I don't want to get on MAL, find an anime that looks cool, watch it, then have it make absolutely no sense because it's from a game.
Mar 20, 2010 7:51 AM
Sep 2007
What Clobclark said. Watching ads doesn't mean watching the actual show.

By measuring it with a stopwatch I meant only the cut-scenes, not the entire process of finishing the game. Sure, some cut-scenes may be ripped like TV shows and that would make things easier in that aspect, but obviously this doesn't happen very often. Either way, like Clobclark said, a lot of the time game cut-scenes wouldn't make any sense when taken out from the game and we shouldn't treat them like something else. They're inseparable from games.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Anime DB - Post Modification Requests Here ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cyruz - May 15, 2016

8686 by Psychomorphosis »»
4 hours ago

Sticky: » Anime DB - Post Genre/Theme Requests Here ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 28, 2022

681 by SurgingSoulZX »»
Yesterday, 7:33 AM

» My Daemon ( 1 2 )

marcolacson - Nov 26, 2023

50 by veduHMY »»
Apr 23, 3:36 PM

» will the Scott Pilgrim anime be added to the database? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

GanjiTheDude - Mar 30, 2023

756 by YoshiYogurt »»
Apr 20, 1:12 PM

» Could we stop having Justin Cook at the start of every anime entry's staff list?

El-Melloi - Jul 29, 2023

10 by MadanielFL »»
Apr 20, 11:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.