Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 26, 2009 11:09 AM
May 2009
So, I've finally watched the thing and I'm not quite sure what to say.
I really loved some parts (yes, the Zetsubou Billy one too xD), but Light's laugh still creeped me out. And when he was on L's grave ... ugh. They should definitely cut out that part, it's pure exaggerating. I think it ruined my impression of L's death, even though I already watched it once.
And I'm wondering ... am I the only one who noticed that the older Ryuk's eyes are missing pupils? I think he looks better this way, but still, why?
Sep 11, 2009 10:11 PM
(Gamer)

Aug 2009
Pretty much the same as the TV series. But I liked how Light acted at the end.

Oct 22, 2009 2:39 PM

May 2009
Very fast paced considering it's around 25 episodes turned into a two hour special. But it's Death Note so of course it was amazing! I loved the scene at the graveyard in the end.

But still, considering so much awesome stuff isn't in this special, it isn't nearly as good as the full anime.
Nov 13, 2009 11:55 AM

Oct 2009
It wasn't anything special, but I did enjoy looking back on the series.
Apr 7, 2010 2:05 AM

Jul 2009
Just saw it now, nice trip down memory lane and looking forward to watching the second one tommorow. I liked the new ending, being a Kira fan seeing him crawling on L's grave and laughing his ass off at his victory was pretty satisfying. I felt that there wasn't enough tension between Light and L like in the series, but Death Note is one of those shows that NEEDS all the details. Also, favourite scene had to be the thing with Higuchi and Zetsubou Billy. The fact that they put both ending theme's in this one makes me wonder what is gonna be used for the second one. Also considering in the original series, the first ending theme Alumina was Misa's ring tone, but in this one it wasn't.

Signature made by me. x3
Aug 19, 2010 2:36 PM

Apr 2008
Just got around to watching Death Note ReLight 2: L's Successors.
That ending still pisses me off to no end. Why the fuck did Tsugumi Ohba make Mikami act on his own and go against God (Light/Kira ♥) and go to the bank KNOWING FULL WELL THAT GIOVANNI WAS FOLLOWING HIM, TO TAKE OUT THE REAL DEATH NOTE AND WRITE DOWN TAKEDA'S NAME?! I MEAN, WHAT THE FUCK!
Because of that asshole move, Giovanni was able to break into his safe deposit box and replace the real notebook with a fake one, thus, COMPLETELY FUCKING UP LIGHT'S PERFECTLY LAID OUT PLAN! Mikami's a dick. A fucking asshole worthless piece of trash that not even the hungriest of vultures would sink its aids ridden beak into.
Light would have had his new world and near, along with the Japanese Taskforce and the SPK (More like SPGAY, AMIRITE?!) would have DIED THEIR RIGHTFUL DEATHS, and Light would reign over the new world AS A GOD! That would have been the perfect fucking ending, but fucking Ohba had to cater to the fans and kill off Light. Asshole. Death Note would have been the perfect series if it had ended with Light's victory.
</rant>
_Vincent_Aug 19, 2010 2:52 PM
Sep 8, 2010 4:59 AM

Dec 2009
_Vincent_ said:
Just got around to watching Death Note ReLight 2: L's Successors.
That ending still pisses me off to no end. Why the fuck did Tsugumi Ohba make Mikami act on his own and go against God (Light/Kira ♥) and go to the bank KNOWING FULL WELL THAT GIOVANNI WAS FOLLOWING HIM, TO TAKE OUT THE REAL DEATH NOTE AND WRITE DOWN TAKEDA'S NAME?! I MEAN, WHAT THE FUCK!
Because of that asshole move, Giovanni was able to break into his safe deposit box and replace the real notebook with a fake one, thus, COMPLETELY FUCKING UP LIGHT'S PERFECTLY LAID OUT PLAN! Mikami's a dick. A fucking asshole worthless piece of trash that not even the hungriest of vultures would sink its aids ridden beak into.
Light would have had his new world and near, along with the Japanese Taskforce and the SPK (More like SPGAY, AMIRITE?!) would have DIED THEIR RIGHTFUL DEATHS, and Light would reign over the new world AS A GOD! That would have been the perfect fucking ending, but fucking Ohba had to cater to the fans and kill off Light. Asshole. Death Note would have been the perfect series if it had ended with Light's victory.
</rant>

agree 100%

Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/TeaAnyOne91

Oct 3, 2010 10:15 PM

Jan 2008
I was just wondering why there are lot of people (what I meant to say by the word people is "MGA BOANG" ) who likes L that much. What's the common reason for them to like him? Isn't it bad? Well, obviously I like Light as much as L because I don't really like his personality. Though he is an agent, a brilliant agent but still I hate the way he is. Does he really think that he is really smart enough to think about the possible cases of Kira's actions?

That was totally f*** up. That's bullshit..

And if I were the one who made the movie then I will make it more nice and much more idealistic especially in the last part of the movie. I'am not satisfied since Light is f****** dead. I don't like it that much.
How about revising the story and L will be the one who's gonna die in the end.
Isn't it wonderful.....hahahahahahaha..

GO TO HELL L...

Kenshin Himura
Ligt Yagami
Kade Rukawa
Hanamichi Sakuragi
Aya Mikage
Aki Mikage
tooya of Ayashi no Ceres
Ryuma Echizen
Belldandy of Ah! My Goddess

Nov 15, 2010 9:39 PM

Oct 2008
It;s just a noicely done recap.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Dec 28, 2010 8:51 PM
Apr 2010
What a collosal waste of time...
Sent with Mal Updater
Jan 30, 2011 12:51 AM

Jun 2010
I think I'm gonna buy this anime on DVD, cuz the only players I can find it on the internet are megavideo- and veoh. Veoh doesn't work on my computer and megavideoplayer doesn't want to load. (And I hate that 72 minutes limit.. It's annoying to download movies over and over again). ;(

I've seen only half of this movie so far and I like it. I'm very curious about the end, even I know that L will die. Well, it doesn't really matter (even I like L), but Light is also my favorite.
(............Oh well, and I hate Near so I believe that the second movie will be a pain to watch)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 17, 2011 12:48 PM

Feb 2009
Wow, great retelling of the original TV series. I've never been a huge fan of DN, but I did enjoy the anime a lot for it's amazing suspense-building and thrills, and this special clearly managed to bring out the best points of Death Note!

Because an entire 20 more episodes season was adapted into this special, it's only natural some parts of the story would look like a bit too compressed, but overall this was indeed a good recap in the form of a great movie!
Jun 18, 2011 11:47 AM

Jun 2011
I liked it. I thought it was funny when Light was on his knees, laughing at L's grave. He's a crazy motherfucker
Jun 21, 2011 8:25 PM

Jun 2011
LoveWifeLunch said:
ashura said:

IMO they were really close, although not in the definition of "friends" exactly

They were close because the most similar person in the world to Light is L. They each had the same goals and values, and had L lived a normal life (not being a detective and all (yet, just like Light who was going to be the Chief of the Police)) and picked up the Death Note, I'm sure he would have become Kira and Light become L (that would be his code name (>L<ight)).

IRONIC, NO?

If someone had asked Light prior to his finding the Death Note, “Do you think criminals should be killed blah, blah, blah…” he would have replied “No, it’s murder blah, blah, blah…” Had L been in Light’s situation, he would have developed a god complex, been popular with the ladies (he only looks like that due to his depressing life and awful childhood. I believe L’s odd habits (addiction to sweets, sitting positions, shaving his eyebrows etc…) were cause from his traumatic past experiences.) and had a successful, but boring life, like Light once had.

For me Death Note’s #1 attraction is the “L and Light are the same person” theme.

THEY ARE BOTH PRO AT TENNIS.
COINCIDENCE? I THINK NOT!

Another reason why Death Note is so great is because you see the story from both sides, and you see how they relate to each other, which = 4x the usual 3rd person character relating.

Comparing the two endings (scenes, I don’t agree with the way Light died, but that’s another matter): I thought both were fitting. The special’s ending was simply Light’s god complex. The series’ ending is one of the few times that Light’s god complex isn’t hiding what he really wants from him. Light certainly longs for L, their situations just don’t work out. Had they met under normal circumstances (University representative speech for example) no doubt they would become the best of friends and who knows what they could have come up with. I wouldn’t put it past them to change the world/surprisebuttsecksjk.

Well I just used this to talk about L and Light’s relations, not getting into the gay thing.

I somewhat agree. Light and L weren't friends, nor did they view the other as such. They were like-minded. Although, I don't think if you reversed roles in the story that Light would become L and vice versa, because of their childhoods and how they grew up, that dictates what they became not the Notebook... esp. Light as he is a classic, text-book NPD (God Complex) sociapath. The characters didn't change because of the DN story, they simply played their part. It's hard to change a life-long mental state through one event. That's how I feel anyway.

I agree...the best part of DN is the chemisrty between L and Light. Each is a sheer contrast to the other. Which is obvious by the light/dark scheme going on...even the pronounciation of Lawliet is ro raito "Low Light". ^_^
Like a lonely flower, I wilt a bit. Like a lonely star, I bathe in the evening light. Then with a blank face I keep mumuring to someone..."Ah, I'm not lonely."
Jun 21, 2011 8:34 PM

Jun 2011
I loved the Rewrites in the Death Note Specials, myself! They weren't meant to alter the story but to give you a little something more. I did find the reanimated scene where L and Light meet for the first time a bit odd, but I enjoyed it. ANd actually it proved something to me that I had suspected...and that's an explaination to one of L's quirks. His signature touch. What I always referred to as his "Eewww..." grab (see here: http://beautifulalone.rubberslug.com/gallery/inv_info.asp?ItemID=324493). I had actually thought upon first watching DN that with his introduction in a solitary, empty, nondescript room that L had issues with personal contact. Not that he was "in hiding" professionally but it was physical. Well, in the Rewritten Intro Scene, upon formal introduction which includes a hand shake, L pulls forth a handkerchief from his jean's pocket and proceeds to wipe off his hand (the one that held Light's) as he continues to speak, as if it's habitual. That suggests that L is in fact germaphobic (as I thought!). It also adds that twist on him being secluded. I've never read anywhere that confirms this, but the director clearly made a point to focus on this action in the Special.

Like a lonely flower, I wilt a bit. Like a lonely star, I bathe in the evening light. Then with a blank face I keep mumuring to someone..."Ah, I'm not lonely."
Apr 9, 2012 2:40 AM

Jul 2011
not really a rewrite more like a recap but it was ok
Jun 21, 2012 8:16 PM

Jun 2012
i didn't know it where parts from the serie and that it had some cut parts in it but t was oke

and i am almost 100 procent certain the shinigami was ligth

1 he wear the same clothes as wehn he died
2 he gave a apple to get information like light thit before
3 his hair
4 the bigest reason migth be ryuk who said. rigth. ligth at the end other words ligth was the shinigami

thats why i think so but its never proven since it was never revealed who the unamed shinigami was
"When a flat-chested loli hugs you, she holds you closer to her heart"
"--I am a single bullet. It has no heart. Therefore, it does not think. It just flies straight towards its target."
Aug 2, 2012 6:11 PM

May 2012
Quite impressive how they managed to get a 10hour story in to a 2 hour one! It was mostly a big recap of everything until ep26 in short with the lesser important parts cut out!

Still was quite nice and told the main plot and story of Death Note till ep26 though I was missing something that I did find in the Main Story!

Either way this was a good special! Wondering what the next one will be!
Sep 1, 2012 4:19 PM

May 2011
Useful recap I think. When I was watching the anime series there was things that I don't understand well, and now it was things that I don't remember as well. I like the new cut skins and the HD quallity of course. But if you have watch the series recently and watch these specials presently after, it's something useful.

The special 1 it is the best by far -L arc ftw-
Sep 15, 2012 10:24 AM

Feb 2012
the ending was great,really liked it,light is such a badass.
Oct 29, 2012 5:44 PM
Jun 2012
so only 3 parts have new animations right?

the first part is when the ryuk was talking to another shingami

the second part is the graveyard scene

the last part is when the shingami left the shingami world to go to go the human world

am i missing out any new animation?
May 23, 2013 4:06 PM

Jul 2012
Just want to clear something, the shimigami that ryuk was talking I believe was light for a few reasons

1 he was limping and light was limping when he was running
2 he has the same sort of hair
3 the has the same coat he died in
4 he had the eyes and smile like what light had
5 ryuk said light would make a great shimigami
6 light was the only character in the series to write in a death note and to be killed by a death god ( a death god gains the life from the person they kill but humans don't, humans who use the death note gose to nothingness but I think that if someone uses a death note and gets killed by a death god hoses to the shimigami world and becomes a death god) this is what I believe and that that death god ryuk was talking to is light,

Oh huh near I'm back looooll

I'd love to see near and the rests faces to see light is a god and they can't touch him but he can kill them ^_^ that would make me soooooooooo happy
I dislike lelouch vi Britannia.

im a shiki supporter

my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR90F0rzcss4CsrAbkZXTkg/featured?view_as=subscriber

Just past the 1500th Mark bitches

I approve this video http://youtu.be/U_0CCLxibFk
Jul 5, 2013 12:02 PM

Jan 2011
After finally watching this, I also think that the shinigami that Ryuk
was talking to was Light! I mean, besides the bones etc. he looks like
Light. :p
Oct 4, 2013 4:13 PM

Apr 2012
It covers a bit too much so constantly jumps around a lot. Made it hard to get involved with or follow the story/ies as people were coming and going over the space of a few minutes. You can tell the underlying plot's great but I just didn't find this a very enjoyable watch.

I guess it is what it is. The live action movies were much better though.

had->hard derp
BlackoutingMar 7, 2015 9:28 AM
Dec 5, 2013 3:31 AM

Jul 2012
The unnamed shinigami is light
I dislike lelouch vi Britannia.

im a shiki supporter

my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR90F0rzcss4CsrAbkZXTkg/featured?view_as=subscriber

Just past the 1500th Mark bitches

I approve this video http://youtu.be/U_0CCLxibFk
Mar 7, 2015 7:08 AM

Jan 2012
How is this any different from the original.

Jul 8, 2015 1:20 AM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
AllenVonStein said:
How is this any different from the original.

Some things have changed, such as the intro, scene where L and Light first meet, the graveyard scene, and the ending. It wasn't meant to be a spin off of the original.

Animefreak17a said:
Just want to clear something, the shimigami that ryuk was talking I believe was light for a few reasons

1 he was limping and light was limping when he was running
2 he has the same sort of hair
3 the has the same coat he died in
4 he had the eyes and smile like what light had
5 ryuk said light would make a great shimigami
6 light was the only character in the series to write in a death note and to be killed by a death god ( a death god gains the life from the person they kill but humans don't, humans who use the death note gose to nothingness but I think that if someone uses a death note and gets killed by a death god hoses to the shimigami world and becomes a death god) this is what I believe and that that death god ryuk was talking to is light,

Interesting, I'll look into it further.
Jan 4, 2016 2:30 AM

Dec 2015
Not too shabby. First time watching a recap special. 1/3 of the way through the manga.

Not sure if I like the alternate scenes in the anime from the original. I feel like I would be really lost on some key points if I had never seen the original anime first.

DN anime and manga is so much fun...it's like the most intense chess match ever. This special is great for those who have seen it before, but it's not really the richest material for someone who wants to really experience DN.
Jan 5, 2016 4:00 AM
Dec 2011
oh my god this was epic as hell i love it. as usual i cried when i saw L and what happen to him,,,light in the L grave was totally terrifying and he did hated L so much wow i cried when he was on L s grave this is epic a masterpiece that i will never get bored of :3
Feb 10, 2016 1:09 AM

Aug 2012
That scene with Light doing his maniacal laugh in front of L's grave.

Upon seeing Light's name in Ryuk's Death Note felt very nostalgic. God, Ryuk is so old now!
Mar 13, 2016 5:17 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Pretty nice recap of the first 25-ish episode. Extra scenes with Ryuk was nice.

4/5
Mar 31, 2018 12:17 PM

Sep 2017
Pretty okay special. It wasn't much help of a recap and there were only 2/3 new scenes. Not much thrilling too.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

May 27, 2018 1:26 AM

Mar 2018
it's a good watch for someone who doesn't want re-watch the whole series
Sep 8, 2019 9:35 AM
EOussama

Dec 2016
Now this is how you do a recap, this is what means to refresh the viewer and build back the intensity of the parent show must be like, without a doubt, the best recap episode I've watched yet, and I've seen a lot of those that varied between trash and decent, on some instances, they were good, but this was phenomenal.
I was starting to forget how amazing Death Note really was, the masterpiece that had started to fade in my memory came back to the top very quickly and as strong as ever.
No matter how short it felt, it really packed in a lot of the highlight, you never stop the intense staring at the show in its entire 2 hours long airing time. Perfection.
Also, L has taken the L yet another time, rest in peace my dude.
Sep 20, 2019 11:09 PM

Jul 2009
Finally finished watching Death Note Relight Movie 1.

Man, the new added scenes are amazing. It really elevated the situation that happened in the first arc.

Even though it does feel rush at the beginning due to condensing all the small details, the new scenes make up for it.

Kira is a fucking bastard. But this is why he is one of best villains in the medium.

Can't wait to watch the 2nd one which even has more new scenes. But after what happened to L. It won't be as hype as before now.

Oct 29, 2019 12:51 PM

Sep 2019
My first anime was death note. It was like two years ago I started watching anime and from that time spam I hadn't found any anime that is close to death note it was like a gift from God to the anime watchers who enjoys psychological thriller like my self.

This episode is a recap of the original series from light finding the note to L's death. And I can say I'd never felt this good just from watching something I already watched :) 10/10
Apr 24, 2020 6:01 PM
Mar 2020
robert7932 said:
othic said:
[spoiler]The end of this special makes it feel like they could do a new season of death note. argh

one of my friends at school said their would be a 2nd season il email and ask if he know if light will be in it (as a death god lol i cant think how to spell the japanese name for "deathgod")[/spoiler]

Shinigami or 死神
May 11, 2020 7:01 AM
Apr 2020
Am I the one who thought that, the God who came to Ryuk, was actually Light?
Oct 8, 2020 6:57 PM

Dec 2008
Pumiliux said:
Am I the one who thought that, the God who came to Ryuk, was actually Light?

You aren't the only one! There's a guy on YouTube that does theories on anime endings and he said exactly this too. His explanation made perfect sense and after watching it today I have to agree, I believe the new shinigami is Light! Ryuk said he wouldn't go to heaven or hell when he died so what else is left? And the guy theorized that that might've been his plan all along. Definitely an interesting theory, check it out if you want:

https://youtu.be/gdg36ZyXrcM
Apr 21, 2021 10:53 PM
Jul 2018
It feels like a fever dream...

I've watched about 100 different anime over the past years. Death Note was like my 5th to 10th one, in 2018. I watched the first three episodes before determining that I didn't like it, for whatever reason. I just didn't derive any entertainment from it. So I dropped the series.

As of April 2021, I decided to give it another chance. I rewatched it and loved it. 10/10 for sure. Of course, I'm talking about the main series, not this "relight." So... why didn't I like Death Note during my initial watch-through? ...

Apr 21, 2021 11:04 PM
Jul 2018
That scene of Light walking through the spacious corridor. With the keypad codes that led to the private movie theater. Very peculiar. Strange and otherworldly. Reminds me of the game NaissanceE.

Is that place L's mansion? (Procured with Watari's wealth? Is it Watari's mansion??)

What is the purpose of the building? You could see dozens of doors in the reflection of a window. It's huge and yet vacant of people. There doesn't appear to be a rhyme or reason for the makeup of the structure. And WHY are there two layers of security on the way to L's movie theater? Is this where FBI meet up? -- But no, L's not affiliated with the government. So who would occupy all the seats in the movie theater, and what would they typically watch? Of course, I theorize that Watari was present because L had to call out to someone to begin the Kira film.

I'm fascinated with the setting. It's quite uncharacteristic of the franchise and seems like a piece that doesn't fit into the Death Note puzzle...

Nov 11, 2022 2:47 PM
May 2022
not much really happend they didnt change much ngl to you.
Jan 19, 2023 8:09 PM
Oct 2022
That ending had my hair standing.
The amount of disrespect Light gave to L would make Dio Brando from Jojo's Bizzare Adventure blush. But, at least we know what happens to the business guys now.
Jul 8, 2023 9:58 AM
Jul 2023
it's a great episode so , i can't wait to see what will happen in the next episode
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Light Yagami's fate

Arka_otaku - Jan 24, 2014

2 by Epiccgaymer »»
May 9, 2023 7:08 AM

» Should I watch this?

strp0t - Feb 17, 2014

8 by fenris_demiurgos »»
Mar 2, 2023 3:22 PM

Poll: » Death Note Rewrite Episode 2 Discussion

VARIAchan - Nov 15, 2010

26 by StateofOhayo »»
Nov 24, 2022 2:27 PM

» About that corridor Light walks through...

removed-user - Apr 21, 2021

2 by removed-user »»
Jun 9, 2021 10:14 PM

» How can I watch Death Note: Relight in English Dub?

SageModeTice - Mar 22, 2018

1 by Tyler_Spencer69 »»
Dec 13, 2020 6:14 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.