MyAnimeList.net

Anime Information
Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Death Note Special Episode 1 Discussion
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime Discussion »» Series Discussion »» Death Note Rewrite »» Death Note Special Episode 1 Discussion

Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
View Poll Results: Death Note Special Episode 1 Discussion
5 out of 5: Loved it!

43 38.74%
4 out of 5: Liked it

35 31.53%
3 out of 5: It was OK

24 21.62%
2 out of 5: Disliked it

6 5.41%
1 out of 5: Hated it

3 2.70%
Voters: 111

07-26-09, 11:09 AM

So, I've finally watched the thing and I'm not quite sure what to say.
I really loved some parts (yes, the Zetsubou Billy one too xD), but Light's laugh still creeped me out. And when he was on L's grave ... ugh. They should definitely cut out that part, it's pure exaggerating. I think it ruined my impression of L's death, even though I already watched it once.
And I'm wondering ... am I the only one who noticed that the older Ryuk's eyes are missing pupils? I think he looks better this way, but still, why?

09-11-09, 10:11 PM

Pretty much the same as the TV series. But I liked how Light acted at the end.

LAZINESS WILL BE THE DEATH OF YOU!

10-22-09, 2:39 PM

Very fast paced considering it's around 25 episodes turned into a two hour special. But it's Death Note so of course it was amazing! I loved the scene at the graveyard in the end.

But still, considering so much awesome stuff isn't in this special, it isn't nearly as good as the full anime.

11-13-09, 11:55 AM

It wasn't anything special, but I did enjoy looking back on the series.

04-07-10, 2:05 AM

Just saw it now, nice trip down memory lane and looking forward to watching the second one tommorow. I liked the new ending, being a Kira fan seeing him crawling on L's grave and laughing his ass off at his victory was pretty satisfying. I felt that there wasn't enough tension between Light and L like in the series, but Death Note is one of those shows that NEEDS all the details. Also, favourite scene had to be the thing with Higuchi and Zetsubou Billy. The fact that they put both ending theme's in this one makes me wonder what is gonna be used for the second one. Also considering in the original series, the first ending theme Alumina was Misa's ring tone, but in this one it wasn't.

Signature made by me. x3

08-19-10, 2:36 PM

Just got around to watching Death Note ReLight 2: L's Successors.
That ending still pisses me off to no end. Why the fuck did Tsugumi Ohba make Mikami act on his own and go against God (Light/Kira ♥) and go to the bank KNOWING FULL WELL THAT GIOVANNI WAS FOLLOWING HIM, TO TAKE OUT THE REAL DEATH NOTE AND WRITE DOWN TAKEDA'S NAME?! I MEAN, WHAT THE FUCK!
Because of that asshole move, Giovanni was able to break into his safe deposit box and replace the real notebook with a fake one, thus, COMPLETELY FUCKING UP LIGHT'S PERFECTLY LAID OUT PLAN! Mikami's a dick. A fucking asshole worthless piece of trash that not even the hungriest of vultures would sink its aids ridden beak into.
Light would have had his new world and near, along with the Japanese Taskforce and the SPK (More like SPGAY, AMIRITE?!) would have DIED THEIR RIGHTFUL DEATHS, and Light would reign over the new world AS A GOD! That would have been the perfect fucking ending, but fucking Ohba had to cater to the fans and kill off Light. Asshole. Death Note would have been the perfect series if it had ended with Light's victory.
</rant>
Modified by _Vincent_, 08-19-10, 2:52 PM

09-08-10, 4:59 AM

_Vincent_ said:
Just got around to watching Death Note ReLight 2: L's Successors.
That ending still pisses me off to no end. Why the fuck did Tsugumi Ohba make Mikami act on his own and go against God (Light/Kira ♥) and go to the bank KNOWING FULL WELL THAT GIOVANNI WAS FOLLOWING HIM, TO TAKE OUT THE REAL DEATH NOTE AND WRITE DOWN TAKEDA'S NAME?! I MEAN, WHAT THE FUCK!
Because of that asshole move, Giovanni was able to break into his safe deposit box and replace the real notebook with a fake one, thus, COMPLETELY FUCKING UP LIGHT'S PERFECTLY LAID OUT PLAN! Mikami's a dick. A fucking asshole worthless piece of trash that not even the hungriest of vultures would sink its aids ridden beak into.
Light would have had his new world and near, along with the Japanese Taskforce and the SPK (More like SPGAY, AMIRITE?!) would have DIED THEIR RIGHTFUL DEATHS, and Light would reign over the new world AS A GOD! That would have been the perfect fucking ending, but fucking Ohba had to cater to the fans and kill off Light. Asshole. Death Note would have been the perfect series if it had ended with Light's victory.
</rant>

agree 100%

Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/TeaAnyOne91

10-03-10, 10:15 PM

I was just wondering why there are lot of people (what I meant to say by the word people is "MGA BOANG" ) who likes L that much. What's the common reason for them to like him? Isn't it bad? Well, obviously I like Light as much as L because I don't really like his personality. Though he is an agent, a brilliant agent but still I hate the way he is. Does he really think that he is really smart enough to think about the possible cases of Kira's actions?

That was totally f*** up. That's bullshit..

And if I were the one who made the movie then I will make it more nice and much more idealistic especially in the last part of the movie. I'am not satisfied since Light is f****** dead. I don't like it that much.
How about revising the story and L will be the one who's gonna die in the end.
Isn't it wonderful.....hahahahahahaha..

GO TO HELL L...

Kenshin Himura
Ligt Yagami
Kade Rukawa
Hanamichi Sakuragi
Aya Mikage
Aki Mikage
tooya of Ayashi no Ceres
Ryuma Echizen
Belldandy of Ah! My Goddess

11-15-10, 9:39 PM

It;s just a noicely done recap.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~

12-28-10, 8:51 PM

What a collosal waste of time...
Sent with Mal Updater

01-30-11, 12:51 AM

I think I'm gonna buy this anime on DVD, cuz the only players I can find it on the internet are megavideo- and veoh. Veoh doesn't work on my computer and megavideoplayer doesn't want to load. (And I hate that 72 minutes limit.. It's annoying to download movies over and over again). ;(

I've seen only half of this movie so far and I like it. I'm very curious about the end, even I know that L will die. Well, it doesn't really matter (even I like L), but Light is also my favorite.
(............Oh well, and I hate Near so I believe that the second movie will be a pain to watch)

04-17-11, 12:48 PM

Wow, great retelling of the original TV series. I've never been a huge fan of DN, but I did enjoy the anime a lot for it's amazing suspense-building and thrills, and this special clearly managed to bring out the best points of Death Note!

Because an entire 20 more episodes season was adapted into this special, it's only natural some parts of the story would look like a bit too compressed, but overall this was indeed a good recap in the form of a great movie!

04-29-11, 7:26 AM

I expected some things being understandable only for those who saw the series. it was nice to "look it through" again anyway.
the only thing I didnt like was the scene where Kira met L at the first time. It was greatly done in the series, I even remember myself shivering :) but it wasn't the same here. so I wanted to see that scene again in the recap.
enjoyed it nevertheless.

06-18-11, 11:47 AM

I liked it. I thought it was funny when Light was on his knees, laughing at L's grave. He's a crazy motherfucker

06-21-11, 8:25 PM

LoveWifeLunch said:
ashura said:

IMO they were really close, although not in the definition of "friends" exactly

They were close because the most similar person in the world to Light is L. They each had the same goals and values, and had L lived a normal life (not being a detective and all (yet, just like Light who was going to be the Chief of the Police)) and picked up the Death Note, I'm sure he would have become Kira and Light become L (that would be his code name (>L<ight)).

IRONIC, NO?

If someone had asked Light prior to his finding the Death Note, “Do you think criminals should be killed blah, blah, blah…” he would have replied “No, it’s murder blah, blah, blah…” Had L been in Light’s situation, he would have developed a god complex, been popular with the ladies (he only looks like that due to his depressing life and awful childhood. I believe L’s odd habits (addiction to sweets, sitting positions, shaving his eyebrows etc…) were cause from his traumatic past experiences.) and had a successful, but boring life, like Light once had.

For me Death Note’s #1 attraction is the “L and Light are the same person” theme.

THEY ARE BOTH PRO AT TENNIS.
COINCIDENCE? I THINK NOT!

Another reason why Death Note is so great is because you see the story from both sides, and you see how they relate to each other, which = 4x the usual 3rd person character relating.

Comparing the two endings (scenes, I don’t agree with the way Light died, but that’s another matter): I thought both were fitting. The special’s ending was simply Light’s god complex. The series’ ending is one of the few times that Light’s god complex isn’t hiding what he really wants from him. Light certainly longs for L, their situations just don’t work out. Had they met under normal circumstances (University representative speech for example) no doubt they would become the best of friends and who knows what they could have come up with. I wouldn’t put it past them to change the world/surprisebuttsecksjk.

Well I just used this to talk about L and Light’s relations, not getting into the gay thing.

I somewhat agree. Light and L weren't friends, nor did they view the other as such. They were like-minded. Although, I don't think if you reversed roles in the story that Light would become L and vice versa, because of their childhoods and how they grew up, that dictates what they became not the Notebook... esp. Light as he is a classic, text-book NPD (God Complex) sociapath. The characters didn't change because of the DN story, they simply played their part. It's hard to change a life-long mental state through one event. That's how I feel anyway.

I agree...the best part of DN is the chemisrty between L and Light. Each is a sheer contrast to the other. Which is obvious by the light/dark scheme going on...even the pronounciation of Lawliet is ro raito "Low Light". ^_^
Like a lonely flower, I wilt a bit. Like a lonely star, I bathe in the evening light. Then with a blank face I keep mumuring to someone..."Ah, I'm not lonely."

06-21-11, 8:34 PM

I loved the Rewrites in the Death Note Specials, myself! They weren't meant to alter the story but to give you a little something more. I did find the reanimated scene where L and Light meet for the first time a bit odd, but I enjoyed it. ANd actually it proved something to me that I had suspected...and that's an explaination to one of L's quirks. His signature touch. What I always referred to as his "Eewww..." grab (see here: http://beautifulalone.rubberslug.com/gallery/inv_info.asp?ItemID=324493). I had actually thought upon first watching DN that with his introduction in a solitary, empty, nondescript room that L had issues with personal contact. Not that he was "in hiding" professionally but it was physical. Well, in the Rewritten Intro Scene, upon formal introduction which includes a hand shake, L pulls forth a handkerchief from his jean's pocket and proceeds to wipe off his hand (the one that held Light's) as he continues to speak, as if it's habitual. That suggests that L is in fact germaphobic (as I thought!). It also adds that twist on him being secluded. I've never read anywhere that confirms this, but the director clearly made a point to focus on this action in the Special.

Like a lonely flower, I wilt a bit. Like a lonely star, I bathe in the evening light. Then with a blank face I keep mumuring to someone..."Ah, I'm not lonely."

04-09-12, 2:40 AM

not really a rewrite more like a recap but it was ok

06-21-12, 8:16 PM

i didn't know it where parts from the serie and that it had some cut parts in it but t was oke

and i am almost 100 procent certain the shinigami was ligth

1 he wear the same clothes as wehn he died
2 he gave a apple to get information like light thit before
3 his hair
4 the bigest reason migth be ryuk who said. rigth. ligth at the end other words ligth was the shinigami

thats why i think so but its never proven since it was never revealed who the unamed shinigami was
"When a flat-chested loli hugs you, she holds you closer to her heart"
"--I am a single bullet. It has no heart. Therefore, it does not think. It just flies straight towards its target."

08-02-12, 6:11 PM

Quite impressive how they managed to get a 10hour story in to a 2 hour one! It was mostly a big recap of everything until ep26 in short with the lesser important parts cut out!

Still was quite nice and told the main plot and story of Death Note till ep26 though I was missing something that I did find in the Main Story!

Either way this was a good special! Wondering what the next one will be!

09-01-12, 4:19 PM

Useful recap I think. When I was watching the anime series there was things that I don't understand well, and now it was things that I don't remember as well. I like the new cut skins and the HD quallity of course. But if you have watch the series recently and watch these specials presently after, it's something useful.

The special 1 it is the best by far -L arc ftw-

Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices