3It was OK
18.9%
2Disliked it
3.0%
1Hated it
3.0%
Average 4.1
233 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 6, 2008 6:11 AM

Jun 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
so how do u like the special?
it had some weird moments though :S
Jan 6, 2008 6:57 PM

Oct 2007
Waited forever and a day for a decent sub to be released and so you can imagine my glee when I noticed that one finally came out! I would reckon that about seventy-five percent of me was glad for the wait – the rest of me, however, is rather indifferent to it.

The special itself was nicely scored – the music was amazing! As a special it was longer than I thought it would be and there were only a handful of new scenes, while the rest seems to be a hodgepodge of scenes borrowed from the series – still at the end of the day it was well done, even if it was a two hour recap episode! Still, it rounded off the series nicely and added, albeit slightly, to the richness of the series.

I think those who liked the first half of the series better would enjoy this special as it only covers up to the point to L's death. So, those who liked the Near and Mello arc would be slightly disappointed that they do not appear in the special.
Jan 6, 2008 7:00 PM

Feb 2007
Taylor_Tertius said:
I think those who liked the first half of the series better would enjoy this special as it only covers up to the point to L's death. So, those who liked the Near and Mello arc would be slightly disappointed that they do not appear in the special.

Most of the DN fans liked the first half more, so that's good news. I still haven't watched or read the second half of DN yet, so I'll have to get a move on, since I'm not going to be watching any Winter anime. (other than Season 2 of SZS and Minami)
Jan 6, 2008 10:17 PM
Oct 2007
I also waited for it quite a time and after I finished watching I asked myself 'Was it worth it?' I anserwed 'Sure it was.'

Old Ryuk is great :D (well I know that he is not young in series either but he looks older in special ;d) I wish Ryuk has finished the sentence 'You were not a God' 'You were just ...' though :p

In the end it's just recap episode but nicely done. Music really helps here.
Jan 7, 2008 9:51 PM

Jul 2007
That was a pretty good watch. Although it was just a long recap episode, let's say it saved me a lot of time, as i was planning on rewatching the series soon(well... the first 26 episodes, ignoring the last few minutes of episode 26...).

The whole Higushi getting captured part with Zetsubou Billy playing in the background was beyond epic though.
Jan 8, 2008 5:02 AM

Jun 2007
i didnt like those last scenes at all. with Light on L's grave laughing, erm it kinda puts me off... i think the actual anime ending was way better where Light's thinking of L as some1 very close to him and not full of stupid hatred as shown in the special
Jan 8, 2008 6:30 AM

Nov 2007
ashura said:
Light's thinking of L as some1 very close to him

What are you talking about?
Light killed L. How can someone like him be close to L?
Jan 8, 2008 9:40 AM

Jun 2007
Light didn't kill L first off @.@
IMO they were really close, although not in the definition of "friends" exactly
Jan 8, 2008 12:46 PM

May 2007
they were **** buddies. 8D

:> Was pretty good summary I guess.
Jan 8, 2008 1:25 PM

Mar 2007
I can't believe how long I've waited to watch it subbed! T_T

But finally I watched it. :D so happy! And I was SO glad that they didn't include the Mello and Near arch. xD that was a totally useless part of the series.
I laughed so much when they included the "standing in the rain" scene (from episode 25) but didn't include the "drying each other's feet" part. LOL I imagined all the yaoi fangirls being disapointed.

I liked it. ^^ I don't care if it's just a recap!
Jan 8, 2008 1:28 PM

Jul 2006
End kinda left bad taste in my mouth. I didn't like Mello& Near at all, so I'm glad they weren't in it, but Light laughing and walking made it look like he won. C'mon! Alternative ending, plox!

Alternative ending, by KN.

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 9, 2008 1:06 PM

Aug 2007
Ah, this gives some fresh memories.

I love the fight in about the middle where they had chains on. L was quite awesome.
Jan 18, 2008 11:44 AM
Dec 2007
It was absolutely great, even though the first part was a bit rushed, I loved the introduction and conclusion (so the additional parts !) and basically I enjoyed it as much as the series.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jan 23, 2008 7:43 AM

Dec 2007
Jan 28, 2008 4:08 PM
Jul 2007
Didn't make the series any more memorable for me.
Feb 10, 2008 6:28 PM
Feb 2008
So the Director's Cut really made the series complete for me. Without it I can't help but feel Light was unnecessarily rash and very out of character when he allowed Near and Mello to best him. It pained me to watch, being generally a fan of Light and rooting for him throughout the series.

That this version leaves out the Near/Mello travesty is a blessing, and the focus on Light's very inhumane, even insane moments, frame the justice of his punishment in a way that the anime failed to do. I loved the ending of this movie, although I still think it would have been fun if we tweaked Light's character a little bit and maybe let him win out in the end.

...and so Lelouch is born. (cross fingers)
Feb 10, 2008 6:30 PM
Aug 2007
othic said:

Do not want D:
Feb 16, 2008 10:52 PM

May 2007
I was kind of disappointed, I liked how they set it up so that Ryuk was telling the story and I loved the way it ended, but some of the parts they added / cut out was disappointing. I didn't like the way Light met L in this ... it totally eliminated the cool factor. Well, it refreshed my Death Note experience so I guess it was worth it.
Feb 18, 2008 7:29 PM

Jan 2008
At first I dont like to watch the Death Note because it sounds f*** for me. But when my friend let me barrowed his Dvd, I was totally amaze to see all the episodes. Wow, this is really cool than I have expected from the beggining.
Light Rocks, he is totally smart. I love the way he is but things always change but still I idolized him than L.
Well, I can say that they are both smart but Light is more than snmarter than L.
Some episodes is making me laugh.
I dont like the ending, its really bad for me.
I really, really, really hate that part especially when Light was dead.

Kenshin Himura
Ligt Yagami
Kade Rukawa
Hanamichi Sakuragi
Aya Mikage
Aki Mikage
tooya of Ayashi no Ceres
Ryuma Echizen
Belldandy of Ah! My Goddess

Feb 28, 2008 5:34 PM
Dec 2007
pyre said:
...and so Lelouch is born. (cross fingers)

Don't dream, Lellouch WILL die in the second season of Code Geass, and a very painful death at that. I mean, as a scenarist you just can't let him live after all the horrible things that he has done, unless there's no justice in the anime world anymore. He'll probably meet his fate just after finally killing his father and resolving the plot of the anime.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Mar 10, 2008 3:07 PM

Jul 2007
ashura said:

No, he just set it up so he would die i guess thats not murder.
Mar 26, 2008 10:52 PM

Dec 2007
It was great but the ending couldn't make up for all the scenes not shown so the whole anime was better.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 19, 2008 7:51 PM

Apr 2008
ashura said:

They were close because the most similar person in the world to Light is L. They each had the same goals and values, and had L lived a normal life (not being a detective and all (yet, just like Light who was going to be the Chief of the Police)) and picked up the Death Note, I'm sure he would have become Kira and Light become L (that would be his code name (>L<ight)).

IRONIC, NO?

If someone had asked Light prior to his finding the Death Note, “Do you think criminals should be killed blah, blah, blah…” he would have replied “No, it’s murder blah, blah, blah…” Had L been in Light’s situation, he would have developed a god complex, been popular with the ladies (he only looks like that due to his depressing life and awful childhood. I believe L’s odd habits (addiction to sweets, sitting positions, shaving his eyebrows etc…) were cause from his traumatic past experiences.) and had a successful, but boring life, like Light once had.

For me Death Note’s #1 attraction is the “L and Light are the same person” theme.

THEY ARE BOTH PRO AT TENNIS.
COINCIDENCE? I THINK NOT!

Another reason why Death Note is so great is because you see the story from both sides, and you see how they relate to each other, which = 4x the usual 3rd person character relating.

Comparing the two endings (scenes, I don’t agree with the way Light died, but that’s another matter): I thought both were fitting. The special’s ending was simply Light’s god complex. The series’ ending is one of the few times that Light’s god complex isn’t hiding what he really wants from him. Light certainly longs for L, their situations just don’t work out. Had they met under normal circumstances (University representative speech for example) no doubt they would become the best of friends and who knows what they could have come up with. I wouldn’t put it past them to change the world/surprisebuttsecksjk.

Well I just used this to talk about L and Light’s relations, not getting into the gay thing.

EDIT: On the actual topic: The highest point of the Special for me was the Zetsubou Billy insert during the capture of Higuchi. It was just so badass that I had to start head-banging to the point that I disregarded reading the subtitles since I had seen them already and my head phones flew off lol.
LoveWifeLunchApr 25, 2008 1:29 PM
wtfyourface said:
MistaCloudStrife said:
From 100-1000, how much do you love LWL?
OVER 9000!!!
Apr 28, 2008 4:21 AM

Jul 2007
What was the meaning of Ryuk calling the other Shinigami ´Light´ ?
Was it Ryuk talking to light in thoughts, or has the Shinigami some connection to Light?
I certainly wouldn't like that, I liked the nothingness better.

[url=http://dragcave.net/view/ma2g][/url
Jun 10, 2008 8:42 AM

Jan 2008
I didnt like it much. All those cuts... It seemed rather like a preview or something. I bet if som1 watched it without TV series first he would not undestand a thing and if someon did watch TV series it's pretty mych wathin' somehing u already know.

@UP
Two ways as mentioned
1 - he is just talking in thougths
2 - that Shinigami is Light that became a Death God after death (highly unlikely to me).
WerchielJun 10, 2008 10:12 AM
Jun 19, 2008 1:13 AM

Apr 2008
I loved this special! I was so happy it didn't include Near and Mellow. I thought the recap was great. I don't think anyone who hasn't seen the series will watch this since it's well established that this is a retelling of the story. And most of the fans of the series say watch the series first.

But the ending with Light laughing on L's grave was great. To me, it was just as horrifying as Light's breakdown in the warehouse at the end of the series in front of Near. And I much preferred seeing Ryuk writing Light's name down than Light being shot and then Ryuk writing his name down. Far less violent ending. It seemed far more psychological to me.

LoveWifeLunch said:
The highest point of the Special for me was the Zetsubou Billy insert during the capture of Higuchi. It was just so badass that I had to start head-banging to the point that I disregarded reading the subtitles . . .

Me too! I wasn't caring what the subs said. I was enjoying the music too much. ^_^
Jun 28, 2008 2:31 AM

Jun 2008
plz dont hurt me for asking or sayign i just finished death note i have a problem with animes i like comign to an end lol it took me about a week to watch last ep of witch hunter obin lol but my real question is where can i find this subbed iv found sites but i dotn want to install it or a program to watch
Jun 28, 2008 5:30 AM

Jun 2008
robert7932 said:
plz dont hurt me for asking or sayign i just finished death note i have a problem with animes i like comign to an end lol it took me about a week to watch last ep of witch hunter obin lol but my real question is where can i find this subbed iv found sites but i dotn want to install it or a program to watch

lol nvm i found it on veoh tv but il say wut i thought of it after ep 11 and 12 of popotan
Jun 28, 2008 10:01 AM

Jun 2008
othic said:

one of my friends at school said their would be a 2nd season il email and ask if he know if light will be in it (as a death god lol i cant think how to spell the japanese name for "deathgod")
Jun 28, 2008 12:08 PM
May 2008
It was better than watching all the episodes again and it finally showed me what happened to the Yotsuba people because after Higuchi died I was like what about the others...?

9/10 for not showing Teru stab himself :(
Jul 25, 2008 4:30 PM

Apr 2008
Just heard about the second special and I'm really looking forward to it especially if we get some narration from L!!!! xP
Eris said:
What was the meaning of Ryuk calling the other Shinigami ´Light´ ?
Was it Ryuk talking to light in thoughts, or has the Shinigami some connection to Light?
I certainly wouldn't like that, I liked the nothingness better.
I think it was Light. Ryuk said that humans that use the Death Note can't go to heaven or hell so...
Jul 26, 2008 10:20 PM
May 2008
yeah, i'm thinking similar to what nehnehneji said. ppl who use the death note don't go to hell or heaven, so wouldn't the shinigami world be a possible place to go? they've never said the shinigami world was hell, so i'm assuming it's a fourth place (the third being limbo/purgatory) which is pretty fitting seeing as one way of saying the number 4 sounds similar to "death" in japanese. that shinigami could be light because this and also because he gave ryuk an apple. i'm not sure if it's common knowledge that ryuk likes apples, so this could be proof that that shinigami had previously met ryuk. there's also the fact that ryuk said those last words to 'light' or to the shinigami that walked away... it's unclear. i think that's the whole point, but i think it's also trying to say that light became a shinigami.

but yeah, hearing Zetsubou Billy during Higuchi's capture was pure awesomeness. worth watching the whole recap imo :)
Aug 10, 2008 7:49 PM

May 2008
Wrong, it was eventually stated that ALL people, whether they used the Death Note or not do not go to Heaven or Hell.. :/ They just simply no longer exist anywhere.. :/
Aug 24, 2008 1:29 AM

Mar 2008
The way Death Note should have ended.
Before the muppets, Mello and Near, comes barging in as "lol, replacements!".
Sep 20, 2008 10:30 AM

Jan 2008
nEvuh said:
ashura said:

No, he just set it up so he would die i guess thats not murder.
Conspiracy to kill... =

@LoveWifeLunch
Wow, you put a whole new perspective on Light and L's relationship. At one point I had thought of them as pretty close and having some of the same opinions and thoughts at moments - but not to the degree at which you have just explained. Frankly, you make a lot of sense :)

As for the Death Note special - I would say that it was pretty good. I enjoyed watching it especially since I was craving some more Death Note and intellectual battles. The scenes that were chosen to make this special were put well exceptionally and it really flowed. I would have just wished for some more original scenes. And I didn't really like the ending with Light laughing while on L's grave... = Other than that - everything was really good. Lol, especially the music and animation ^_^

Amazing sig set thanks to -DraGonZ-
Oct 5, 2008 12:26 AM

Jun 2007
really good recap/summary of death note's first half
oh gosh >.> not only did I had to watch L died in the series but in this special too ;.;
L<3 -is still hoping for a spin off ending-

havent seen death note for months/ maybe a year?
so this special didnt bored me a bit, I was very entertained :)
I absolutely loved seeing ryuk back, "old ryuk" and maybe hints/teasing us about a 2nd season? well, I wouldnt be so exited about it as for there wouldnt be more L, but would definetly be a must watch (that is to say IF there will be a 2nd season)

will watch other special when I feel like it.
Feb 3, 2009 5:32 AM

Dec 2008
this special is good, but original ending pleased me anymore. Essence of Light is not exposed in the special, as it seems to me

ps: sorry than my english :)
Apr 6, 2009 3:39 AM

Mar 2008
This was a good special, it makes you rewatching the whole series.
Jul 3, 2009 3:12 PM

Mar 2008
I just watched Viz Media's English Dub of this, it's really good :)!

My Anime List | My Video Game Collection

Discord ID: KidRyan89 | Telegram ID: KidRyan
Jul 23, 2009 9:04 PM

Sep 2008
awsome recap with new scenes, but more importantly they showed us the true death note essense, the L arc since the next half is so meh for me
i still remember the first itme L died....i was so happy
Being a fan is like having a penis. Its nice to be proud of it But don't pull it out in public and wave it in other's faces

Kyurem Black. Kyurem White. Together they are Pretty Kyurem.
Jul 26, 2009 11:09 AM
May 2009
So, I've finally watched the thing and I'm not quite sure what to say.
I really loved some parts (yes, the Zetsubou Billy one too xD), but Light's laugh still creeped me out. And when he was on L's grave ... ugh. They should definitely cut out that part, it's pure exaggerating. I think it ruined my impression of L's death, even though I already watched it once.
And I'm wondering ... am I the only one who noticed that the older Ryuk's eyes are missing pupils? I think he looks better this way, but still, why?
Sep 11, 2009 10:11 PM
(Gamer)

Aug 2009
Pretty much the same as the TV series. But I liked how Light acted at the end.

Oct 22, 2009 2:39 PM

May 2009
Very fast paced considering it's around 25 episodes turned into a two hour special. But it's Death Note so of course it was amazing! I loved the scene at the graveyard in the end.

But still, considering so much awesome stuff isn't in this special, it isn't nearly as good as the full anime.
Nov 13, 2009 11:55 AM

Oct 2009
It wasn't anything special, but I did enjoy looking back on the series.
Apr 7, 2010 2:05 AM

Jul 2009
Just saw it now, nice trip down memory lane and looking forward to watching the second one tommorow. I liked the new ending, being a Kira fan seeing him crawling on L's grave and laughing his ass off at his victory was pretty satisfying. I felt that there wasn't enough tension between Light and L like in the series, but Death Note is one of those shows that NEEDS all the details. Also, favourite scene had to be the thing with Higuchi and Zetsubou Billy. The fact that they put both ending theme's in this one makes me wonder what is gonna be used for the second one. Also considering in the original series, the first ending theme Alumina was Misa's ring tone, but in this one it wasn't.

Signature made by me. x3
Aug 19, 2010 2:36 PM

Apr 2008
Just got around to watching Death Note ReLight 2: L's Successors.
That ending still pisses me off to no end. Why the fuck did Tsugumi Ohba make Mikami act on his own and go against God (Light/Kira ♥) and go to the bank KNOWING FULL WELL THAT GIOVANNI WAS FOLLOWING HIM, TO TAKE OUT THE REAL DEATH NOTE AND WRITE DOWN TAKEDA'S NAME?! I MEAN, WHAT THE FUCK!
Because of that asshole move, Giovanni was able to break into his safe deposit box and replace the real notebook with a fake one, thus, COMPLETELY FUCKING UP LIGHT'S PERFECTLY LAID OUT PLAN! Mikami's a dick. A fucking asshole worthless piece of trash that not even the hungriest of vultures would sink its aids ridden beak into.
Light would have had his new world and near, along with the Japanese Taskforce and the SPK (More like SPGAY, AMIRITE?!) would have DIED THEIR RIGHTFUL DEATHS, and Light would reign over the new world AS A GOD! That would have been the perfect fucking ending, but fucking Ohba had to cater to the fans and kill off Light. Asshole. Death Note would have been the perfect series if it had ended with Light's victory.
</rant>
_Vincent_Aug 19, 2010 2:52 PM
Sep 8, 2010 4:59 AM

Dec 2009
_Vincent_ said:
Just got around to watching Death Note ReLight 2: L's Successors.
That ending still pisses me off to no end. Why the fuck did Tsugumi Ohba make Mikami act on his own and go against God (Light/Kira ♥) and go to the bank KNOWING FULL WELL THAT GIOVANNI WAS FOLLOWING HIM, TO TAKE OUT THE REAL DEATH NOTE AND WRITE DOWN TAKEDA'S NAME?! I MEAN, WHAT THE FUCK!
Because of that asshole move, Giovanni was able to break into his safe deposit box and replace the real notebook with a fake one, thus, COMPLETELY FUCKING UP LIGHT'S PERFECTLY LAID OUT PLAN! Mikami's a dick. A fucking asshole worthless piece of trash that not even the hungriest of vultures would sink its aids ridden beak into.
Light would have had his new world and near, along with the Japanese Taskforce and the SPK (More like SPGAY, AMIRITE?!) would have DIED THEIR RIGHTFUL DEATHS, and Light would reign over the new world AS A GOD! That would have been the perfect fucking ending, but fucking Ohba had to cater to the fans and kill off Light. Asshole. Death Note would have been the perfect series if it had ended with Light's victory.
</rant>

agree 100%

Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/TeaAnyOne91

Oct 3, 2010 10:15 PM

Jan 2008
I was just wondering why there are lot of people (what I meant to say by the word people is "MGA BOANG" ) who likes L that much. What's the common reason for them to like him? Isn't it bad? Well, obviously I like Light as much as L because I don't really like his personality. Though he is an agent, a brilliant agent but still I hate the way he is. Does he really think that he is really smart enough to think about the possible cases of Kira's actions?

That was totally f*** up. That's bullshit..

And if I were the one who made the movie then I will make it more nice and much more idealistic especially in the last part of the movie. I'am not satisfied since Light is f****** dead. I don't like it that much.
How about revising the story and L will be the one who's gonna die in the end.
Isn't it wonderful.....hahahahahahaha..

GO TO HELL L...

Kenshin Himura
Ligt Yagami
Kade Rukawa
Hanamichi Sakuragi
Aya Mikage
Aki Mikage
tooya of Ayashi no Ceres
Ryuma Echizen
Belldandy of Ah! My Goddess

Nov 15, 2010 9:39 PM

Oct 2008
It;s just a noicely done recap.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Dec 28, 2010 8:51 PM
Apr 2010
What a collosal waste of time...
Sent with Mal Updater
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Light Yagami's fate

Arka_otaku - Jan 24, 2014

2 by Epiccgaymer »»
May 9, 2023 7:08 AM

» Should I watch this?

strp0t - Feb 17, 2014

8 by fenris_demiurgos »»
Mar 2, 2023 3:22 PM

Poll: » Death Note Rewrite Episode 2 Discussion

VARIAchan - Nov 15, 2010

26 by StateofOhayo »»
Nov 24, 2022 2:27 PM

» About that corridor Light walks through...

removed-user - Apr 21, 2021

2 by removed-user »»
Jun 9, 2021 10:14 PM

» How can I watch Death Note: Relight in English Dub?

SageModeTice - Mar 22, 2018

1 by Tyler_Spencer69 »»
Dec 13, 2020 6:14 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.