Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jul 11, 2010 8:38 PM

Jun 2009
I have to say that i liked the history, some guy who helps people, get nothing in return and then, without realizing, they are good friends.

But this last episode (last scene especially) went over the limit of friendship, and its not for my taste. If this were not the last episode i would stop watching the series.
Jul 12, 2010 7:07 AM

Aug 2008
Jul 12, 2010 10:48 PM

Sep 2009
Now THAT is a good ending. Honestly, that felt so perfect it's hard to believe the manga is still ongoing.

I'm going to have to see some more Maglobe shows now, after that, I really want more. This is going to be a void for me in the summer...

Overall, I give the series a 9/10.
Jul 16, 2010 8:26 PM

Feb 2009
Yo that's what I am talking about! Nice nice and re-nice!
Jul 19, 2010 6:39 AM

Sep 2008
noteDhero said:
But those undertones were there from the beginning.

I didnt feel any yaoi undertones, except for the last scene. I dont think there were any, unless the person watching is someone desperate who wants to see BL shit everywhere
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Jul 19, 2010 6:53 AM

Aug 2008
What about everyone commenting how Ichi had changed since meeting Masa? Or Masa being giddy when Ichi came to visit him while sick didn't throw any flags? The fact that Masa was so dazzled by Ichi in the beginning to almost totally ignore all the warning signs? Or that as peers, Masa acted as chivalrous as he did sheepish around Ichi, unable to say many of the things that he meant, and feeling generally uncomfortable around Ichi in silence?

Just so you know, gay people don't behave in the way you find yaoi or BL. They pretty generally act like other people when they're around people they're attracted to. No pathological possessiveness. No "kyaaa." No monologues of "but I'm a boy" in the character's head. So, just like other people, when someone as guarded as Ichi trusts Masa so much to cry in his lap, there is a depth of relationship that could very well be romantic. Many people did feel a sexual tension between the two from the onset of the show. And many others felt it at later points even if they aren't desperate to see it.

Focusing in on something as playful as what happened in the end, while seemingly ignoring or being incapable of understanding what that was built off of is a shame.
Jul 19, 2010 3:20 PM

Dec 2008
noteDhero said:
What about everyone commenting how Ichi had changed since meeting Masa? Or Masa being giddy when Ichi came to visit him while sick didn't throw any flags? The fact that Masa was so dazzled by Ichi in the beginning to almost totally ignore all the warning signs? Or that as peers, Masa acted as chivalrous as he did sheepish around Ichi, unable to say many of the things that he meant, and feeling generally uncomfortable around Ichi in silence?

Just so you know, gay people don't behave in the way you find yaoi or BL. They pretty generally act like other people when they're around people they're attracted to. No pathological possessiveness. No "kyaaa." No monologues of "but I'm a boy" in the character's head. So, just like other people, when someone as guarded as Ichi trusts Masa so much to cry in his lap, there is a depth of relationship that could very well be romantic. Many people did feel a sexual tension between the two from the onset of the show. And many others felt it at later points even if they aren't desperate to see it.

Focusing in on something as playful as what happened in the end, while seemingly ignoring or being incapable of understanding what that was built off of is a shame.

Nice way of phrasing it. I'm with you on this :D
And the dango was surely a nice compromise, I really want to read more of this story. Gee, I want to read everything I can of Natsume Ono, but for now I'll settle watching Ristorante Paradiso.
Jul 19, 2010 5:07 PM

Aug 2008
Ristorante Paradiso surprised me. I thought I was going to get one thing, and it looked like something totally different by the end of the first episode. Then I thought I was getting something else based off of that, and was surprised again.
Jul 19, 2010 7:21 PM

Sep 2009
eyerok said:
noteDhero said:

I didnt feel any yaoi undertones, except for the last scene. I dont think there were any, unless the person watching is someone desperate who wants to see BL shit everywhere

Bullshit. I don't even like yaoi and I still see that it's blatantly there. It's been there since the moment Yaichi put the knife to Masa's throat, or possibly even sooner than that.
Jul 20, 2010 8:10 AM

Nov 2007
Lind_L_Tailor said:
eyerok said:
noteDhero said:

Bullshit. I don't even like yaoi and I still see that it's blatantly there. It's been there since the moment Yaichi put the knife to Masa's throat, or possibly even sooner than that.

It was there from the moment Masa looked at Yaichi and Otake in the first episode and said "wow, what a beautiful person". It was always ambiguous over who he was talking about, and as the rest of the show developed there were many more instances where you could (and I did) easily read sexual attraction into their relationship.
Jul 21, 2010 4:06 AM

Sep 2008
so basically if I put a knife to a guy's throat or look at chick sitting besides a guy, I'm gay?
wow...seriously. I think it depends on your perspective.

noteDhero said:

look normal people who aren't gay can also act that way and they actually do. Sure it can go both ways, but you cant just say "oh they're gay" just because they show a pattern of behavior that CAN be associated to any normal person, whether they are gay or not. Like for instance, in some cultures, especially traditional, people form the same sex holding hands or touching them is not necessarily associated with homosexual behavior but a strong bond of friendship. ANd are you suggesting that only gay people can feel uncomfortable when they're around people they admire, or fear or feel an emotion other than sexual attraction? or that only a person you feel sexually attracted to can change you as a human being? or that crying on a good friends shoulder (or leg) after an emotional experience makes you gay? I'm positively surprised that you interpreted Masa's behavior as strictly homosexual, when it was clear from the beginning that he admired Yaichi for the qualities that he himself did not possess, and was intimidated by him for that reason. Add his timidity and lack of confidence, which he displays in front of everyone and not just yaichi, its only natural for him to behave that way.

why is it a shame to not see what wasn't even there from my perspective. Even the last scene didn't give any yaoi vibes to me. Now if the dango bite had been slow and sexy, that would have been another matter :P. But that was the only possible indicator of yaoi undertone. Given that there was no other, I personally think that was not the author intended, and the last scene was just an innocent playful ending rather than one with sexual tension or whatever.

Some people even think LOTGH has strong homosexual undertones, when there is all the evidence to suggest the opposite. Or another example would be of this one 'psychologist' on TV who claimed that the relationship of Batman and Robin had homosexual undertones. But they misinterpret the relationship between the two main leads. My own opinion is that people have become more eager or open to reading sexuality in social behavior in the last couple of decades. Some conventional patterns of behavior are now interpreted in a different way than they used to be like 15-20 years ago. In any case, its not the kind of debate I'd like to get into, especially this place, so I'd prefer keeping the discussion to the behavior of the above mentioned characters only.
There is no clear indicator that Masa or Yaichi were homosexual's, or the writer may have intentionally left it as an open question mark.

eyerokJul 21, 2010 8:29 AM
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Jul 21, 2010 9:15 AM

Aug 2008
Well, I don't know what to say. For me and others, this author, who has done work with gay characters/a yaoi slant created a sexually ambiguous lead male who was dazzled enough by beautiful, confident man that he followed him to do things that he doesn't usually stand for, and he doesn't even question it until the wheels are falling off. To me, that is the actions of someone who is infatuated. If Masa were younger, I'd easily write it off as him just being a child. But he's not, and the direction was in such a way that highlighted sexual tension. I'll go back to a lot of the silence/awkwardness between the two at night in the brothel. And let me be clear that he also admires Matsu and Ume, and interacts with them in similar ways, and was distinctly more comfortable with them than Ichi. I think differentiating his interactions with Take, Kinu, and the whores also makes it clear to me that the feelings he held for Ichi were very different than any other character in the show.

If you just want to go the platonic route with it, then fine. But if Ichi had been a woman, I wonder if you'd think the same, and that's my point.
Jul 21, 2010 10:55 AM

Sep 2008
thats a very interesting perspective, I must say. My own interpretation was a bit different. I think Masa is one anime character I can relate to the most. Or at least i thought so, unless your perspective is what the author intended. I myself used to be a very timid person and lacked the necessary confidence for social situations. For me it was really easy to be swayed by others and I used to accept their opinions and arguments even if I didnt belive in them. So a person with a stronger personality could easily take over my own decisions and I would go with them even if I was uncomfortable. In fact, strong personality types used to intimidate me a lot, and sometimes I admired people who had stronger personalities for example, although that was rare. This personality issue made more sense to me when it was revealed that he left his place and the Government service because these personality traits made him unfit for such a life, and he used to face difficulties because of that. So I always thought this behavior of his was 'normal' because I could relate to it from my own experiences. And I was like that till I was 20 or so.

In the anime, there might have been yaoi hints, but to be honest I was really surprised when I came to this forum and saw people suggest there was something more between yaichi and masa, and that such a thing went both ways, I think that was after the 5th episode. Up till then I didnt even feel anything like that.
What you said is a new perspective for me, and I really find that interesting.

noteDhero said:

If you just want to go the platonic route with it, then fine. But if Ichi had been a woman, I wonder if you'd think the same, and that's my point.

good question.
*tries to imagine Ichi as a woman*

hmmm...I really dont know. I would take Masa looking at both Take and yaichi and saying "what a beautiful person" as attraction, but for whom I dont know. But definitely not the dagger on the throat part, thats just ridiculous. Masa's discomfort I'd still take as him being intimidated by Ichi's personality, and maybe also becuase he would be a woman with a strong personality, something some men do get intimidated by. Masa being attracted to Ichi would be a "maybe" then, but I wouldnt be sure about Ichi being attracted to Masa. And the dango bite part would actually be less "sexual", becuase its the kind of behavior that you could expect from an avg woman.
If Ichi WAS a woman, there might be a 'maybe' or a 'probably' for me, but not more than that.
eyerokJul 21, 2010 11:16 AM
Jul 21, 2010 11:19 AM

Aug 2008
And this is my overarching point. For whatever reason many men are uncomfortable with the idea of relating to a gay character in any way. So what if Masa might be gay. All those personality traits that you identify with (that I largely agree with) are still there. What's the big deal? You projected yourself into Masa because you felt like you understood him. His maybe being gay or bisexual doesn't change your viewing experience at all. You're not suddenly gay or a little limp-wristed because you identify with Masa. You're human. I can't say that I identified with Masa's personality, but I do identify with the way he was with Ichi (assuming it is attraction), and that's why I was able to be charmed by a of his behavior, even though if it were any other character, I'd probably be very turned off.

Ichi's end is much more up in the air than Masa. Up until that last scene with the dango, he was always just this mysterious, brooding character. As we saw his past in the last few episodes we got a better sense of his character, but since he was equally standoffish to everyone, including the women he slept with, I just can't say. At the end of the day though, I think Ichi desired someone who challenged his point of view. Masa did not just that, but rescued him from his despair. it's all very women's oriented romance novel based, but the characters were done in a way that felt real and vulnerable enough for me to embrace the story for what it is.

This is also the point I was making. Before, it was absurd to think that Masa could be gay, I gave reasons, you disagreed, I gave more reasons, and now it's a maybe. The idea that these two characters are in love with each other shouldn't be that novel when taking everything into account. That's all.
Jul 21, 2010 11:32 AM

Sep 2008
Alright I understand your point now. I still dont think its 100% certain that there is any homosexual undertone here. Whatever examples you and the above three posters came up with can also be associated with a staright person as well. And that wouldnt change even if Ichi was a woman. I still think their relationship could be interpretated as platonic. Its still a 'what if'.
BUT I cant completely reject or deny your perspective either.
Jul 22, 2010 12:48 AM

Jul 2009
Woah, that was the best ending I've ever seen.

No joke. It was going to be a 9 but then the last like 5 seconds made it a 10. I don't even.

It's probably a 9 still, but at the same time I gave it a 10 for some reason. This makes me think "maybe I should of given Tatami Galaxy a 10 too," and I feel my rating system is now wack.

oh well.

@ are they gay

The writer IS natsume ono, so the undertones exist. Whatever Ichi and Masa are, it is something very important. That you can't deny.

(of course I subscribe to the gay theory 100% but it's fine if people don't see it that way exactly)
ESSWHYJul 22, 2010 12:53 AM