Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Dec 25, 2023 1:03 AM

Feb 2022
This show would be better to me if they gave Keitarou a buff to make him more useful. Sure he created an electric release system, he's kind and quick to act when people are in danger. That said hes suppose to have strong spiritual energy that attracts ghost to him like crazy, they like him more than Yayoi (it's one of the main reasons she wanted him around at first)... however despite having a grandmother who runs a shrine that deals with actual spirits and the fact that there are people who can train you for some reason he hasn't tried to get more powerful with his actual spirit... maybe they don't want to take focus off of yayoi being a badass but I do think it hurts the show in general to have one of your main characters feel pointless. The show wouldn't change that much if it was just Eiko and Yayoi doing all they've done.

If they make another season I'll definitely watch it, want to see how it goes with getting rid of the god, that said this show was entertaining but pretty average. 5/10
Dec 25, 2023 1:09 AM

Oct 2022
Man I'm going to miss this series. It did the horror parts consistently well, Eiko and Yayoi are really interesting characters (with Keitaro being more our pov character) and the power system for ghosts is surprisingly well thought out. really hope it gets a s2!

Dec 25, 2023 5:32 AM
Jul 2023
Peak anime of this season
Dec 25, 2023 7:12 AM

Feb 2021
Can't wait to see the next season!
- Mal-Badge -

Level 25
Ranked 1135
Last update : 27.02.2022 at 05:50

My Candies :

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Dec 25, 2023 7:28 AM

Nov 2022
They can't leave it like that!
We need a second season ASAP!
A solid 8/10
Dec 25, 2023 7:35 AM

Oct 2011
probably the dark horse of the season that many slept on

horror and eerie atmosphere done right

high 8-9/10

gonna pick up the manga for sure at a later time

"When the time is yours,
the future is waiting,
The person you become,
and the people you're creating.
"
Dec 25, 2023 12:05 PM
Nov 2023
Episode 25 is very interesting because it makes me curious about what will happen next, I thought this anime only had 1 season, and it turns out there is a continuation, I can't wait to see the continuation
Dec 25, 2023 12:39 PM

Jan 2017
Reply to Droebie
This show would be better to me if they gave Keitarou a buff to make him more useful. Sure he created an electric release system, he's kind and quick to act when people are in danger. That said hes suppose to have strong spiritual energy that attracts ghost to him like crazy, they like him more than Yayoi (it's one of the main reasons she wanted him around at first)... however despite having a grandmother who runs a shrine that deals with actual spirits and the fact that there are people who can train you for some reason he hasn't tried to get more powerful with his actual spirit... maybe they don't want to take focus off of yayoi being a badass but I do think it hurts the show in general to have one of your main characters feel pointless. The show wouldn't change that much if it was just Eiko and Yayoi doing all they've done.

If they make another season I'll definitely watch it, want to see how it goes with getting rid of the god, that said this show was entertaining but pretty average. 5/10
@Droebie Your wishes may become true in a future season 2, but not in the way you thought lol. Also,Keitarou doesn't plan to become a spiritualist, he wants to help Yayoi recovery her mother and get rid of his and Eiko's curse and then live a normal life. Maybe he will change his view later on who knows, the series doesn't show any signs of getting close to the end so it's a possibility. I would highly recommend to read the manga (you can start from chapter 35), the anime is nice but the manga is better, the art is also really beautiful and what comes after the anime is even better than the second cour of season 1.
Dec 25, 2023 1:09 PM
Jul 2011
I liked to much to watch this anime, the only complaining I have until this moment was the fact they didn't fight against Ai's Kami-sama. I believed they would grab him this season. I haven't read the original material, so I don't know how much was adapted or how much there is still to be adapted. I hope it gets a second season and Yaiyo-chan gets her mother soon and the destruction of the change bodies organization.
Dec 25, 2023 3:23 PM
Jun 2020
Reply to Droebie

@Droebie Keitaro will be getting a huge buff in the manga soon btw but he isn't really the MAIN character of the story, it's actually Yayoi. Kei and Eiko are pretty much just side kicks for her. I thought it was obvious from the start that Yayoi is the true mc but maybe it's not huh. Kei doesn't really want to become a spiritualist, he hates supernatural and ghost stuff remember but he still wants to help out Yayoi achieve her goal, cure their curse and live a normal life after. He's not entirely useless either, he's a spirit magnet the reason why spirits show up themselves more is because of him which Yayoi needs for her plan. I really doubt the granny will take him as her apprentice anyway, she probably wants to train gifted people like Yayoi more.
Dec 25, 2023 4:02 PM

Sep 2015
That was such a ride. completely blew my expectations. Glad that I stuck by it despite its slow start.
Really hoping for a season 2.

Solid 8/10
Dec 25, 2023 4:15 PM
Sep 2022
Finally, we've come to the end of 1st season and it finished on a huge cliffhanger.

I can say for sure that this is one of the most underrated projects of this year. It's surprising how tentative it started out, but somewhat how much it managed to recoup at the end. It's been a great journey.

Hats off to OLM. Overall - 9.5/10
Dec 25, 2023 7:02 PM

Sep 2021
Well, the stage is set for season 2! But I don't think there's even enough source material yet, so it's odd to have such a build-up episode to wrap it up. But I don't mind it, I'm defenetly intriguied to watch/read the next arc.

And thus, my first journey ever into Horror is over. I never before watched a Horror show/movie/game ect. But I'm defenetly up for more Horror Anime!

As for Dark Gathering, I really enjoyed the tension and the mystery. Yayoi is a great protagonist, Eiko is super intriguing and Keitarou rounds up the trio very nicely as the "normal" one. The "body-snatching" antagonists were quite captivating aswell.
The amount of horror was just perfect for me, especially with how it started episodic and eased me into the scarier haunts later on.
The plot was rather linear, moving from one "level" to another, but that's fine as the shows focus is the execution of those "levels" and they were great. The Old F Tunnel was probably my favorite, but I enjoyed all of them. Finally, the horrifying backstories for the ghosts were thrilling!

It was a great experience I was looking forward to each week. Also, this was my favorite anime from the Summer season! 9/10.
Dec 25, 2023 8:50 PM

Jan 2011
stage has been set for sure for season 2 what a wild ride this has been who knew crazy ghost pokemon could go so hard and be so messed up outside of the Tunnel and dorm arc haunting me with how fucked up they were this show had the right level of fun and spooks but boy did it go off the rails on how crazy it really wanted to go not to mention one of the main characters also being a blend of cute fun and pure obsession crazy-ness we've been blessed or cursed with Eiko

8/10 would feel better giving this a 8 if it wasn't for how low quality the animation looked at times which i would normally give this a pass on but this show ended up being far more action heavy than i thought
Dec 25, 2023 9:39 PM
Apr 2021
Ugh I’ll miss this show this was such a great ride, 25 episodes and 25 weeks pure creepiness and messed up horror from the eerie ghosts to the fucked up backstory’s of ghost who were killing ppl, man I loved every week when a new episode dropped🥹

It’s been so long since we’ve seen Ai im happy she got more screenshot but at the poor expense of her being traumatized by the God who wants to marry her🙁

Happy to see Yayoi’s character develop to caring about the people who are alive instead of her dead mom not saying she shouldn’t care about her mom it’s just nice to see her care about ppl who are currently alive :D

9/10 show but lastly one thing I need to get off my chest……………MY GOD ARE EIKO’S TITTIES HUGE ASF LIKE I COULDNT TAKE MY EYES OFF HER CHEST DURING THE FIRST HALF I’ll miss my big tiddied girl😭😫😭😫😭😫
Dec 25, 2023 11:20 PM

Feb 2022
Reply to Aichi07
@Droebie Keitaro will be getting a huge buff in the manga soon btw but he isn't really the MAIN character of the story, it's actually Yayoi. Kei and Eiko are pretty much just side kicks for her. I thought it was obvious from the start that Yayoi is the true mc but maybe it's not huh. Kei doesn't really want to become a spiritualist, he hates supernatural and ghost stuff remember but he still wants to help out Yayoi achieve her goal, cure their curse and live a normal life after. He's not entirely useless either, he's a spirit magnet the reason why spirits show up themselves more is because of him which Yayoi needs for her plan. I really doubt the granny will take him as her apprentice anyway, she probably wants to train gifted people like Yayoi more.
@Aichi07 He's a main character, even if he's not as important as Yayoi, I thought I made my reasoning pretty clear as to why it matters. At the moment his character could be written out and all it would change is the useless barely touched yandere "romance". It's not about what he "wants" for his future beyond fixing his curse, it's about the fact that he has determined himself to follow this path and it would make a hell of a lot more sense if you're choosing to put yourself in danger that you at least prepare and use every tool you have to make sure you and your loved ones could survive. In the end they should not have sold him as having crazy spiritual energy that attracts ghost just for him to stay as basic and worthless as "useful bait" which barely justifies his existence. Yayoi can still be the focus while letting your other main characters grow properly as well. Also what do you mean she wouldn't want to train him, all Yayoi has going for her is her knowledge and sight, in terms of pure potential I would think your spiritual power would trump those pretty easy.

The real reason they won't allow real growth at least from this point in the show/manga seems more likely to be that if they were more competent it would be harder to create dramatic moments where they might die from the ghost encounters. However the formula of them going to a location poorly prepared to only barely scrape their way out is played out now too.
Dec 26, 2023 1:45 AM

Jul 2014
Definitely one of the most unique anime in the horror theme I can say, it really proved itself in the 2nd cour with all the thrilling aspects it had and how screwed up everything in this anime is

8/10. Will watch a sequel for sure
Dec 26, 2023 2:34 AM

Jun 2019
My 252nd completed series chronologically.

For the record, I extended it a 6/10 rating.
Dec 26, 2023 3:23 AM

Jul 2020
best anime of the summer, kinda fell off in the second cour but still very enjoyable, exciting comedy horror; definitely gave me more laughs than shivers but it was good quality fun. Eiko's the best girl 100%
9/10 from me
Dec 26, 2023 6:20 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Got a little too repetitive for me. Horror elements and trio's dynamics still stuck through so it managed to entertain me, nevertheless. Going to settle with a solid 6/10 here.

@CrimsonTome Cool, thanks for the heads-up! I liked it enough to check out a sequel anyway, but you've reinforced the deal now, lol.
_MushiRock11_Dec 27, 2023 2:33 AM
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Dec 26, 2023 3:20 PM
Jul 2008
Smart/strong spiritualist seems very few, no one seems to be cleansing those ghost spots? They can even get replaced by the spirits easily?

Ai is left living alone by her family, not even attempt from her family to cleanse her like Keitaro?

While repetitive and have the formula of "ghost of the week", the anime is fresh air.
Very rare to see shonen horror anime got adapted.
Character design and story flow reminded me of old anime like Nube and Gakkou no Kaidan.
Dec 26, 2023 8:33 PM

Nov 2022
This anime has been one for the ages. I wasn’t disappointed with a single episode. It just kept getting better and better. I bet season 2 will be way better, the concept is insanely good. The body jacking spirits twist just made it even better. Hope we don’t have up wait years for a second season.
Dec 26, 2023 8:44 PM

Jan 2017
Reply to Inexplicable
best anime of the summer, kinda fell off in the second cour but still very enjoyable, exciting comedy horror; definitely gave me more laughs than shivers but it was good quality fun. Eiko's the best girl 100%
9/10 from me
@Inexplicable That's an interesting take since the general reaction is that the second cour was way better than the first.
Dec 26, 2023 8:46 PM

Jan 2017
Reply to _MushiRock11_
Got a little too repetitive for me. Horror elements and trio's dynamics still stuck through so it managed to entertain me, nevertheless. Going to settle with a solid 6/10 here.

@CrimsonTome Cool, thanks for the heads-up! I liked it enough to check out a sequel anyway, but you've reinforced the deal now, lol.
@_MushiRock11_ I mean, the plot is capturing ghosts so it follows a formula (like every story tbh) but yeah, keep an eye for a future season 2, it's going to be even better than the second cour. Or jump into the manga, which is a better way to experience this series imo, the art is simply gorgeous and the way the author uses black and white to bring the creepy factor is great.
Dec 26, 2023 9:41 PM

Jul 2016
10/10 of course

👻💀
Dec 26, 2023 10:45 PM

Jul 2020
Reply to CrimsonTome
@Inexplicable That's an interesting take since the general reaction is that the second cour was way better than the first.
@CrimsonTome No, I know, but like someone else has already said, it got somewhat repetitive. I also feel like it got tamer in terms of creepiness in the 2nd cour. Like, remember episode 5, that was the strongest episode of all imo, that could give real chills. While the later stories were like 90% dark comedy, emphasis on the comedy, not "dark"
Dec 27, 2023 11:55 AM

Nov 2011
I loved when the opening song appeared at the end! Expected full ver tho instead of ending, but still both i like. :) Opening will be very high on my anime songs lists for quite a long time, a believe.
After the show ended, i wanted to say 'oh my god', and then realized they are going to take a god down. good luck! things kinda sped up at the end.
waiting for next season, definitely. or a movie. or a voice drama (damn, this would really could do!)
Dec 27, 2023 7:06 PM

Mar 2008
Hey Keitaro had the same idea I had about making a container to more easily seal the graduates away but actually had it even better with the remote control operation.

I keep forgetting Yayoi's hair is that long since she always wears that oversized coat / jacket.

This better get another season. I could just read the manga but I like hearing Eiko's yandere voice and I kind of hate the gray gradient shading in the manga. So i dont know what i will do.
Dec 28, 2023 4:58 AM

Jan 2017
Reply to Inexplicable
@CrimsonTome No, I know, but like someone else has already said, it got somewhat repetitive. I also feel like it got tamer in terms of creepiness in the 2nd cour. Like, remember episode 5, that was the strongest episode of all imo, that could give real chills. While the later stories were like 90% dark comedy, emphasis on the comedy, not "dark"
@Inexplicable Sorry but I gotta disagree with you. Episode 5 was one of the tamest and the stories in cour 2 not only were darker, but a lot creepier too. Also, the first couple episodes were the repetitive ones in my opinion since they were the monster of the week cases. After that, the "hunts" were longer and more exciting plots were added to the story. Not like being repetitive was bad since every story is repetitive(they all follow a formula), but things got a lot more interesting in the second cour. Let's agree to disagree tho.
Dec 28, 2023 5:01 AM

Jan 2017
Reply to traed
Hey Keitaro had the same idea I had about making a container to more easily seal the graduates away but actually had it even better with the remote control operation.

I keep forgetting Yayoi's hair is that long since she always wears that oversized coat / jacket.

This better get another season. I could just read the manga but I like hearing Eiko's yandere voice and I kind of hate the gray gradient shading in the manga. So i dont know what i will do.
@traed you'll have to wait at least 2 or 3 years for another season so personally, I would jump into the manga if I were in your position.
Dec 28, 2023 2:41 PM
Jul 2018
Finally a good horror anime 🙏
8/10
Dec 28, 2023 7:02 PM

Oct 2022
This was a really good anime, way better then my expectations going into it.

The characters were really good Eiko is my favorite the rest of the characters were great as well but I wish Ai got more screen time. And the music was phenomenal actually my favorite part of the show along side the horror.

Overall: 8/10
Dec 28, 2023 11:34 PM

Apr 2015
Enjoyed it overall but it might have been too basic an adaptation.

Afaik it's more or less a panel by panel copy and paste job into anime form, with only coloring, sound and minimal douga added. The plot is quite exciting at times but artistically as an animation it was mostly boring to watch. Better than ruining it of course but I felt this could have been a season leading franchise if the production was more ambitious
Dec 29, 2023 1:14 AM
Oct 2019
All preparation is done, now we going to Kyoto.
War is coming!!

For one last time...

Let's Ghoooossttt!!

Definitely a good Horror Anime in ages, not that we got many of Horror Anime recently.
Sadly not many peoples talking about this one, it really is such a shame.
Hopefully more people gonna check this Anime since season 1 was already ended.

Overall 8/10 for me.

I'll be there whenever they released Season 2.
Dec 29, 2023 3:19 AM
Jun 2020
Reply to Lanz
Enjoyed it overall but it might have been too basic an adaptation.

Afaik it's more or less a panel by panel copy and paste job into anime form, with only coloring, sound and minimal douga added. The plot is quite exciting at times but artistically as an animation it was mostly boring to watch. Better than ruining it of course but I felt this could have been a season leading franchise if the production was more ambitious
@Lanz looking at their anime website, the director for this series said it's his first time directing a horror anime so it's probably because of that and they also aimed this adaptation to be very faithful to the source material with some additional scenes added that the author didn't managed to include in the manga. I also do think this could've gotten a better adaptation quality but at least it's pretty solid overall. Hopefully if this ever gets a season 2 someday they will have a bigger budget because the next arcs will have lots of action scenes.
Dec 29, 2023 8:45 PM

Aug 2016
Without a doubt, this was one of the best horror genres I saw, after Higurashi.
Dec 30, 2023 1:33 AM
Dec 2023
The story comes together very nicely in this episode where the main characters are about to converge on the child god
Dec 30, 2023 9:28 AM
Jan 2023
What a way to end off the first season of this show. A plan has been made and now they're off to execute it, Ai's god is going down.

I really am going to miss this show, and I really do hope it gets a season 2, definitely a show that's very much deserving of one. Loved every minute of it.

Overall, this is a very well executed horror anime, the story is brilliant and so is the character design, gets a 9/10 from me.
Jan 1, 9:51 PM

Jan 2011
I want a season 2 so bad man. This shit is too fucking good.
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.
Jan 2, 1:10 AM
Feb 2022
Reply to Pokemon2021
ok so got a question for everyone as someone who stopped at episode 5 everyone's been saying this season ends with chapter 34 so it's safe to say that this adaptation adapts the first 34 chapters?. that's good I'll def pick this up now this it's over glad everyone likes it and hope for a season 2.
@Pokemon2021 Yes, it adapts first 34 chapters with 95% fidelity. You can essentially jump between manga and anime without any issues.
Jan 2, 1:11 AM
Jan 2021
Caller_of_Void said:
@Pokemon2021 Yes, it adapts first 34 chapters with 95% fidelity. You can essentially jump between manga and anime without any issues.

that's definitely good to know thx
Jan 2, 1:12 AM
Feb 2022
Reply to CrimsonTome
@Droebie Your wishes may become true in a future season 2, but not in the way you thought lol. Also,Keitarou doesn't plan to become a spiritualist, he wants to help Yayoi recovery her mother and get rid of his and Eiko's curse and then live a normal life. Maybe he will change his view later on who knows, the series doesn't show any signs of getting close to the end so it's a possibility. I would highly recommend to read the manga (you can start from chapter 35), the anime is nice but the manga is better, the art is also really beautiful and what comes after the anime is even better than the second cour of season 1.
@CrimsonTome At this rate, Keitaro will need to get schooled about mystic stuff either way. There is no way the priest from Kyoto won't try to give him some very direct lessons.
Jan 3, 7:02 PM
Feb 2022
Reply to Pokemon2021
Caller_of_Void said:

that's definitely good to know thx
@Pokemon2021 You are welcome!
Jan 4, 4:40 PM

Mar 2021
Really enjoyed this anime !
Love the ambiance, mystery, spooky and creepy, but sometimes disgusting !

All this build up for the final fight, a part 2, I hope ^^
Jan 5, 10:52 AM
Dec 2019
Good anime, i hope this will have second season

9/10

With how they collect all the graduate ghost, it's looks like Pocket-ghost janken battle, strong Opponent but beatable with the right counter
ViewlandJan 5, 10:56 AM
Jan 7, 12:21 AM

Jan 2017
I want more! Can't wait for season 2!!! See you again soon, Yayoi-chan and the gang! 😍💜
Jan 7, 6:08 AM

Apr 2020
It's been a while since a first episode left such a bad impression on me.
It got much better right after though.
8/10.
Go watch Gintama boyo/grill
My discord server for gaming and anime/manga: https://discord.com/invite/4mqXfNEJ9A
Jan 8, 8:52 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Nice setup for what's coming next, we'll if we get a sequel or not because it would surely feel incomplete without reading the manga after that
Jan 14, 6:36 PM

Jun 2013
Honestly, I haven't seen a decent horror anime in the longest time. Dark Gathering was quite enjoyable with the grim and dark setting. The character were also interesting. But there is something going on with Eiko. The show really picked up after first few episodes. The art style kind of reminds me higurashi. This last episode definitely got me all hyped up about the confrontation with a god and the body replacers. However, I don't know how much of the manga is covered considering it came out in 2019 so it may take few years for Season 2 anime to come out.
Jan 23, 5:53 AM
Jan 2013
It was quite good.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dark Gathering Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 17, 2023

66 by Magicmist »»
May 19, 7:12 PM

Poll: » Dark Gathering Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 10, 2023

94 by Magicmist »»
May 12, 7:00 PM

Poll: » Dark Gathering Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 3, 2023

63 by Magicmist »»
May 5, 1:20 PM

Poll: » Dark Gathering Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 26, 2023

76 by Magicmist »»
Apr 28, 5:50 PM

» It's Like junji ito scary

Kreshre - Apr 5

6 by Lufyy_234 »»
Apr 27, 12:43 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.