Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Apr 30, 2016 7:57 PM

Mar 2014
the middle part kinda retarded...basically there is a disease that motivates people to rebel
Apr 30, 2016 8:16 PM

Aug 2013
audian said:
It's the Var Syndrome

Windermerian is trying to invade earth.
Apr 30, 2016 8:29 PM

Nov 2011
The Hunt for Rodents
The Hunt for Red Umbrella
The Hunt for Red Rat
The Hunt for Red Rabies
The Hunt for Cat Food
Das Rodents
Das Rabies
Das Hamsters

Join the Hunt!
Try to Enjoy the Hunt!
ernstApr 30, 2016 8:33 PM
"Why do I always realize it... when I've already lost it..." -Guts, Berserk
"Some things are beautiful because they cannot be obtained." -Gilgamesh, Fate/stay night
"We are constantly living in a peaceful world that somebody else won for us. Even if it were only a day of peace, I will be grateful for its value." - Minashiro Tsubaki, FAFNER
"Screw you, future me!" -Makise Kurisu, Steins;Gate
"We used to show off by waging wars and whatnot." -Watashi, Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
"Call me Moses. I'm going to part the sea of students before your eyes." -Moses?, Valvrave
"Time is guilty." -Andō & Tomoyo, INOU-Battle
Apr 30, 2016 8:32 PM

Apr 2012
Godammnit kyubey, go back to your own series!

Well this is an interesting development. The rats seem like a kind of bioweapon hate plague.
"Fortress Maximus has come himself. Okay! Then I shall get Fortress Maximus to fight me, huh huh huh!"

Apr 30, 2016 9:15 PM

Jul 2015
ScoomKun said:
LunarCrusade said:

Anyway, what does these flag means?

Individually each flag means

center flag - X-ray- Stop all intentions and pay attention to my signals
bottom flag- India - turning to port

I have no idea what the top flag means. I couldn't find it in international signal flag codes. It could be Delta(which looks pretty close), which would mean maneuvering with difficulty.

All together they will have a different meaning, since hoisting multiple flags on close proximity will give them a different meaning entirely. Something which I hope a navy man here could help with

I think I find the meaning of the first flag.
It means the number "2". Yup, no special meaning. It is a flag use by the Japanese Navy to represent the number "2". Just like the ICS flag next to it ( in the image/graph )

Apr 30, 2016 9:16 PM

Jun 2014
Two main points I got from this episode which some users here has talked about:

MihoWittmann said:
But I had a sense from the beginning that this was more than just a human conflict, and all the 'mutinies' had something with the Blue Mermaids' past…

I feel like the lack of the Blue Mermaid's past explanation in the anime is setting up for this theory. In the first episode, we are only introduced (if I remembered right) to them as the first navy "force" that serve to protect the sea or something similar. Not much else was discussed. There might be some internal problems with the first-generation's crew that, while they're known for starting the infamous Blue Mermaids, create hatred between them (like a civil war sort of thing, which also lead toward my next point later). Since this anime is both serious plot-wise and light-hearted on the surface, there can be two directions this anime can end into (assuming the spirit-possess theory is right):

1) The spirits of the first Blue Mermaid's forces are just bitter about ships preferences. They possess the current fleet girls just to show each other which ship is the best. Happy and plain ending. Also lame (but can totally happen if this show is going for the slice-of-life light-hearted path).

2) Internal conflicts between the crew members. Some want to be captain but aren't able to despite their skills. Maybe conflicts with other ships in the same squad. Happy end but lessons learned (I think this ending is more likely to happen).

Now again, this is just my thoughts with little to support. There are many ideas out there, and I think that maybe the existence of a German ship (in episode 2 when they save its captain) means this can be something on an international level. In general though, I lean toward the possessing theory that the original Blue Mermaid's members can possess and jump from vessel to vessel than the infection/going berserk theories.

gust11 said:
Also, I feel like some internal conflict is gonna come up between Mashiro and Akeno, probably Mashiro feeling insecure and blaming Akeno? Or her insecurities somehow being used as a source of conflict until her mother tells her why she's in the Harekaze.

Episode 4 also have this little theme running in the background of all the toilet paper emergency (glad this show can also be light-hearted, I'm a fan of slice-of-life too). The scene can be taken as a simple trying-the-captain-hat-on thing, with the brown-haired crew member (who I totally don't remember the name of) complimenting her. Or it can be that a mutiny is starting to take roots, even with supporters (if it's just the deputy captain then it's another story). This can tie in with the first theory above if this is also the original Blue Mermaid crew's problem. While the anime shows that what we need to focus on right now is to investigate the Musashi, it is probably just another supporting event to create the distance between Akeno and Mashiro...

Woah, that's really far-stretch isn't it...

Either way, this anime has really been underrated in the West (heard it was really popular in Japan) even though it balances the plot and comedy really well in each episode. What I can imagine as the ending is something related to internal conflicts between Akeno and Mashiro which can be reflected to way back to when Blue Mermaid just started. Let's see how wrong I can be...
kn1000aApr 30, 2016 9:26 PM
Apr 30, 2016 9:37 PM

Sep 2015
Show keeps getting better and better! There seems to be a rat problem eh? Mashiro trying on the captains hat scene was cute.
Apr 30, 2016 9:43 PM
Jul 2015
Couldn't resist doing this

Apr 30, 2016 10:14 PM

Dec 2011
Hahaha. The toilet paper fiasco... and of course our Captain getting a one year supply of it. Hahaha.

They just have to put that weird hamster. I really hope that we will not get anymore supernatural stuff here, since this is not the kind that should have one.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 30, 2016 10:28 PM
Jan 2015
So here's my theory Japan was devastated because of a civil war or something like a war, a disaster maybe which was caused by an unknown disease or experiment maybe Higurashi style. My clue is that rat maybe it has a power to hypnotize people to make them mad or it spread some kind of virus.
Apr 30, 2016 10:35 PM

Sep 2015
Did the rat affect silver-haired girl's personality? Anyway. The sudden supernatural thing threw me off. 3/5
Apr 30, 2016 10:41 PM
Jul 2011
These people on the ship were actually worried about getting toilet papers above all else.

But thanks to that some fans in other sites rather got more excitements from "A ship that is full of Bishoujo characters ran out of toilet papers".
It isn't really something to laugh about it either, I really lose hope in that situation, but still hoping no one else notice my situation at that moment.

And there's this quote: "This series is different from a genre "Bishoujo Zoo", but it is a new kind of genre calling it 'Bishoujo Aquarium'".
This one is some character like Twirl would say.

I think this is also part of the directors strategy.
Apr 30, 2016 11:25 PM

Dec 2012
Wow, mind controlling gerbils...
Apr 30, 2016 11:31 PM
Oct 2015
With the Musashi being out of contact, I guessed it got hacked, electronic warfare from a third party since most of the ship is automated (Which is referenced to in the first episode); though with the hamster(?) I guess not.

Whilst the hamster fills up a possibility, we're left with yet more questions.

Any guesses on what that Abyss company goal is? Or why the hamster was even out there in the first place?
Maybe world domination? Cause civil unrest or conflict within the country?

Frankly I'm surprised that the hamster even lived that long in a box floating about with no food or water.

Additionally, with regards to the musashi and that german ship, if it was the hamster that caused the lost of control, why was it there in the first place? The harekaze only fished up boxes in hopes of finding supplies, encountered the hamster.

But both musashi and that german ship would've presumably been well stocked for their journey, so did the hamster get smuggled in? If that were the case, then it would make the abyssal company a multinational one?
May 1, 2016 12:19 AM
Aug 2015
ScoomKun said:

You were close to the truth, but not close enough ;)

Nice episode btw. Funny to see how people are dependend on toilet paper. When I am on vacation in Thailand I stay in areas with no toilet flushing and no toilet paper.. No problems whatsoever!

Also, I must say: for a crew being that lax when the captain is gone. At least I would have expected the vice captain to maintain order.

Anyhow, I am curious what happens next!
May 1, 2016 12:28 AM

Apr 2009
audian said:
It's the Var Syndrome
Ouch that's what happened and they had that yandere eyes bcoz of this syndrome and also Ako of Netoge will had that too :P and anyway that rat should be killed :| and i don't want this show to end like the Black Death in the middle ages :(
The current game that i play: Azur Lane :3

May 1, 2016 12:43 AM

Jun 2015
There seems to be some kind of mind controlling going on through these lab/alien mice. I agree with the folks that the hamster (except it is not) is part of something big. Someone is purposely sending these to the ships (through those abyss boxes?) and making them hostile towards whoever approaches them for whatever reasons (an experiment, framing the principal/school or causing instability in the country etc). This will be cleared in the next episodes hopefully now that they have the hamster and the instructer is awake too.

So now it is Moka and Musashi's turn. Should be interesting. And the encounter seems inevitable.
May 1, 2016 1:08 AM

Nov 2015
The element this show needed the least has arrived.
WTF with the rats possessing people in a advanced technological show?!
Akeno has a very damn good luck with the toilet paper for a year...
May 1, 2016 1:35 AM

Nov 2009
Rat/hamster usually use for medicine test ,so I think the people behind the rat is already put whatever thing in the rat for the real usage. It is probably something that can make the target do what the user want to do. That would explain why Tama move around like that under mind control.

Maybe the teacher put this "virus" inside her and used mind-control on all her crews and ordered them to fire at Harekaze. That would explain why she doesn't have red eyes.

I think this is still the "military conflict/drama". Maybe a higher-up want to take the control of the nayy or making perfect soilders that obey all order.
May 1, 2016 2:33 AM
Jun 2013
zcv45 said:

Also, 10cm gun! Improved range, rate of fire and AA. The 10cm were one of the best heavy anti-air guns during the war. I think their turret #3 was down, so that's where it's going to be probably mounted at.
And I would assume they refill their torpedoes! More battles in the future.

Not to argue about what it can do, and I know it's a fictional setting that did not develope airplanes, but I'm finding it funny that show writers and game developers are giving away the 3.9 in Type 98 guns like candy to destroyer classes that never carried them historically. First it was Fubuki in KanColle, now it's a Kagero class destroyer.
During the war, the Japanese on destroyers usually just pulled a gun turret and stuffed the space with more 25 mm machine cannons for the increased AA firepower, and not replace it with a Type 98 gun turret.
Well, good episode other wise, and and the new guns will help them out _slightly_ if the run into one of the "lost" Akizukis, which mounted 8 of those guns.
May 1, 2016 3:15 AM

Nov 2012
how did the rat/hamster thingy affect tama?
and it's good to see that a ship finally helps the harekaze instead of attacking them.
May 1, 2016 5:55 AM

May 2014
Lol maybe the reason they ran out of toilet paper is the cat? Cats are obsessed with those rolls they can't stop playing with it :3
That part where Tama was possessed was weird. Hope the explanation behind that would make sense
May 1, 2016 6:24 AM

Nov 2011
Episode that is characterized by a fairly articulated narrative, this element mitigates the lack of a new naval clash that would have made much more engaging story, the context is quite varied and complicates the search for the culprit within the Harekaze, provided that is a crew member. You feel almost a climate where you have to be suspicious of everybody, the whole episode is quite interesting, and the fact that the characters increase, is a factor in favor of the anime series.

For now, it's unnecessary to draw conclusions, it could also be a farce that we saw today, only to lead us to believe that the perpetrator has already shown, I would await some other episode.
May 1, 2016 6:51 AM

Jan 2010
A woman using only 12.5 cm of toilet paper?

lol

That's a single square sheet. Or less than 10% (11 sheets) of the average per-visit use by women. (In the west at least)

Whatever their secret is, I wish they'd share... I'd save a lot of money on toilet paper.
thaumxMay 1, 2016 7:00 AM
May 1, 2016 7:00 AM

Dec 2015
What the hell with the cursed hamster lol!

I'm still enjoying this one. 5/5
May 1, 2016 10:17 AM
Oct 2010
ScoomKun said:

"What do you want to do tonight"
"The same thing we do every night, *** try to take over the world!"
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
May 1, 2016 10:56 AM

Jan 2014
that hamster reminds me of that one villain from lilo and stitch.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 1, 2016 12:06 PM

May 2014
So... um... this was about toilet paper?
What was up with that hamster?
"I lost all of what you could call feelings of love. They weren't sealed, so they can't be released. They weren't broken, so they can't be fixed. That which is lost, cannot be recovered." Shiba Tatsuya
"There are no regrets. If one can be proud of one's life, one should not wish for another chance." Saber
"No matter what happens, no matter how crazy things get, I'll always try to restore balance." Korra
"It's madness to let others take what's yours and accept it blindly." Baatar Jr
"Instinct is a lie, told by a fearful body, hoping to be wrong." Zaheer
"Partner in crime, partner in time" Chloe Price and Max Caulfield
May 1, 2016 12:06 PM

Nov 2009
thaumx said:

lol

That's a single square sheet. Or less than 10% (11 sheets) of the average per-visit use by women. (In the west at least)

Whatever their secret is, I wish they'd share... I'd save a lot of money on toilet paper.

I think that was a mistranslation. More like 12.5 m.
May 1, 2016 12:31 PM

Aug 2013
Probably my least favorite part of this show is the soundtrack, at least during the more peaceful parts of the show, like the intro part before the credits on this episode.
bluebear_tora said:
The element this show needed the least has arrived.
Akeno has a very damn good luck with the toilet paper for a year...

It's my assumption that the rats are actually some sort of bioweapon. While it was loose inside the shipping box, its cage was also included in there so it's reasonable to assume that a person put it there. It isn't clear whether the rat is possessing her or just making her super aggressive.

Obviously, ships with cats have some measure of protection against rodent infestations.

Does being under the rat's effects give a person superhuman abilities? Not only did Tama basically leap out of the ocean, but she also easily shook off several people trying to restrain her and she was leaping from rooftop to rooftop on her way to the gun...
thaumx said:

I'm pretty sure they actually say that a woman uses 12.5 METERS of toilet paper, which seems just as ridiculous, but certainly explains why they might run out so fast!

(You should watch GJM-Vivid's version of this show. There's fewer mistakes like that, and one of the guys working on it is a huge nautical nerd so terminology and jargon is usually translated better)
May 1, 2016 2:32 PM

Feb 2015
Mind controlling rats... Didn't see that coming. There's still more questions though, I feel like the next big question is going to be who's controlling the rats? The soft toilet paper is apparently too irresistible hahaha.
May 1, 2016 3:52 PM
Nov 2012
I thought this would be a coup d'etat until rats appeared. Maybe the rats are bio weapons for the coup mastermind plan i hope.

LazerEyeBeamMay 1, 2016 4:16 PM
May 1, 2016 4:37 PM
May 2009
Aversa said:

If you compare it to something German than it's comparable to the Bismarck-class, the Bismarck and the Tirpitz.

AHAHAHAHAHAHA
no

That would be the H-41.
I have full confidence Tirpitz would've gotten BTFO by Battleship X had they came into contact with each other; much less Yamato, in whatever weird alternate universe where Japan is somehow fighting the Nazis too.
May 1, 2016 5:12 PM

Aug 2011
The lost me with the supernatural stuff, also it seem this will be the cause of everything, i know its a light-hearted anime but they could come up with something beside its because "magic", it just seems lazy to recoure to that trop.

audian said:
It's the Var Syndrome

I also thought that they look very similar, plot twist this is a prequel to macross zero.
TsuiIzumiMay 1, 2016 5:21 PM
May 1, 2016 5:42 PM

Jan 2014
The whole rat ordeal was weird.
May 1, 2016 6:07 PM

Oct 2012
RayAdha said:

Mashiro's older sister needs to have more screen time

Agreed on that, she seemed like a cool character to follow
"If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick."
- Oreki Houtarou
May 1, 2016 6:29 PM
Jul 2015
On another note.

Running out of Toilet paper is not as funny as one may think. Toilet paper is an important resource to have for purposes of sanitation. Run out of toilet paper and you run the risk of dangerous infections such as dysentery and UTI (Urinary tract infection)

A rogue mind controlling hamster would be the least of my worries.
May 1, 2016 7:09 PM

Sep 2015
Marina2 said:
Rat/hamster usually use for medicine test ,so I think the people behind the rat is already put whatever thing in the rat for the real usage. It is probably something that can make the target do what the user want to do. That would explain why Tama move around like that under mind control.

Maybe the teacher put this "virus" inside her and used mind-control on all her crews and ordered them to fire at Harekaze. That would explain why she doesn't have red eyes.

I think this is still the "military conflict/drama". Maybe a higher-up want to take the control of the nayy or making perfect soilders that obey all order.

This makes a lot of sense. They used the rat for a test subject on mind control. Explains why Tama acted like it was the rat. But the Instructor did not.
May 1, 2016 9:03 PM

Jul 2015
I thought it was okay, just like the series has been for me so far.
May 2, 2016 12:45 AM
Jun 2013
lfhoule said:
zcv45 said:

Also, 10cm gun! Improved range, rate of fire and AA. The 10cm were one of the best heavy anti-air guns during the war. I think their turret #3 was down, so that's where it's going to be probably mounted at.
And I would assume they refill their torpedoes! More battles in the future.

Not to argue about what it can do, and I know it's a fictional setting that did not develope airplanes, but I'm finding it funny that show writers and game developers are giving away the 3.9 in Type 98 guns like candy to destroyer classes that never carried them historically. First it was Fubuki in KanColle, now it's a Kagero class destroyer.
During the war, the Japanese on destroyers usually just pulled a gun turret and stuffed the space with more 25 mm machine cannons for the increased AA firepower, and not replace it with a Type 98 gun turret.
Well, good episode other wise, and and the new guns will help them out _slightly_ if the run into one of the "lost" Akizukis, which mounted 8 of those guns.

Just to follow up, I realized after a few hours that I forgot that during her refit before being transferred to the Chinese navy after the war, Yukikaze was equipped with a Type 98 10 cm gun turret. So, Harekaze is basically a fictional Kagero class that shares traits of 2 real Kagero -class ships. I wonder what else the writers will fit in.
May 2, 2016 1:08 AM
Apr 2013
VR-Yan said:
Aside from the whole mind controlling rodent thing, I'm more surprised on how they didn't gave a fuck on how Tama fell underwater then got spit right back up aboard their ship.

Seconded. The ocean basically just said, "Nope," and threw her back.

Besides that, the whole mind control/disease thing was really strange.

And that thought lead me into doing a bunch of image analysis to figure out how she actually got from the bridge of the gun like she did.

Lots of pictures and stuff:
TigersightMay 2, 2016 1:12 AM
May 2, 2016 1:55 AM

Nov 2009
TragicRomance said:
I'm surprised they didn't disguise before going for shopping. They could dress up in casual clothes at least.

They did wear their casual clothes. Didn't you notice that?

bluebear_tora said:

It's an advanced technological rat. It's probably full of nanobots.

Ajunky said:
I forgot to point it earlier, was the Harekaze stationed on a particularly strong current or is there a lot of trash floating around in that world? to be found so easily on open sea...

I wonder if I'm naive and the real world is in fact that dirty.

It's the future, so the seas must be even dirtier than usual.
Still, someone must have sunk a cargo ship nearby, otherwise the not-hamster would not have survived for that long. With so many agression-infected ships nearby, it's quite possible!
May 2, 2016 3:06 AM

Jul 2009
It must be hard for Mashiro, her mom is the big boss and her sister is in a successful ship, and she ended in the "loser" team...

So, the little hamster possessed Tama? and something like that happened to the instructor that shoot them too...
May 2, 2016 6:15 AM
Feb 2009
Ajunky said:
I forgot to point it earlier, was the Harekaze stationed on a particularly strong current or is there a lot of trash floating around in that world? to be found so easily on open sea...

I wonder if I'm naive and the real world is in fact that dirty.

Also remember that a large part of Japan's coastline sunk. I imagine that there's a lot of debris floating around from the cities.
May 2, 2016 10:55 AM
Oct 2010
flannan said:
bluebear_tora said:

It's an advanced technological rat. It's probably full of nanobots.

That's scary. If Tama was invaded by nanobots, the "mind control" was probably not eliminated, but instead temporarily deactivated. Berserk Tama could make a reappearance at any time.

Well, the same issue could happen with a regular biological infection I guess.
flannan said:
Still, someone must have sunk a cargo ship nearby, otherwise the not-hamster would not have survived for that long. With so many agression-infected ships nearby, it's quite possible!

Interesting theory. The not-hamster came in a mail order box with it's own cage, but it was in fact outside the cage. So while it was probably not opened before, it also was not placed gently on the sea.

On the other hand, the idea that the cargo ship which was spreading the infection was attacked by one of those ships it was infecting suggests very chaotic tactics...
YabaBaga said:
Also remember that a large part of Japan's coastline sunk. I imagine that there's a lot of debris floating around from the cities.

I did a little research and the debris could get trapped in the North Pacific Gyre, transiting close to Japan, which even today is known as the "Great Pacific Garbage Patch". So yeah, in our future, it can get quite trashy in there.

Still and back to the anime, after 3 generations from a major sinking disaster, it would be very haunting and rotten debris I assume...
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
May 2, 2016 7:07 PM

Jan 2011
Toilet paper is serious business.

So I'm guessing the rodents possessing people are the cause of everything. Well that kills one of the reasons I was interested in this.
May 3, 2016 4:16 AM

Dec 2012
The realistic side + the girls make "High School Fleet" very enjoyable to watch. Why they put supernatural in this anime, it seems so out of place ...
May 3, 2016 9:20 PM

Mar 2009
Well, this show jumped the shark. Supernatural hamsters/rats.
Sure thing, anime.
May 5, 2016 5:21 AM
Mar 2012
ReaperCreeper said:
Toilet paper is serious business.

So I'm guessing the rodents possessing people are the cause of everything. Well that kills one of the reasons I was interested in this.

Zimbabwe! That's how Coco got her name lol!
What was funny about Euros? German girl doesn't get it either.

Alien Hamster Var mind control surprised me. Though I did expect some hypnotism/mindcontrol since the attacking Sarushima teacher. Might not be supernatural, just scifi, if it's a drug/virus causing aggression, like rabies, kakugo virus, or even alcohol for some people etc.
But Shima also gains superhuman strength & rodent behavior.
Wat? Poseidon hates rats & kicked her out?

Akashi captain with white hair looks so cute & cool.

Abyss box: that a radio tuner?
May 5, 2016 5:02 PM

Mar 2014
Demon possessing rats/hamsters are a bit off for this series, but I'll continue watching to give it it's due watch-through. The show has more than earned it thus far.

However, the Musashi lurking over the horizon at the end of the episode like The Black Freighter does pique my interest.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » High School Fleet Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 9, 2016

230 by VonNaturAustreVe »»
Feb 25, 7:17 PM

Poll: » High School Fleet Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 25, 2016

149 by Vyse_Sohma »»
Oct 6, 2023 12:48 PM

Poll: » High School Fleet Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 11, 2016

62 by wildhood »»
Aug 27, 2023 4:44 AM

Poll: » High School Fleet Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 18, 2016

57 by jasutin_hoshi »»
Sep 21, 2022 7:20 PM

Poll: » High School Fleet Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 4, 2016

65 by jasutin_hoshi »»
Sep 21, 2022 6:33 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.