Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Apr 4, 2015 1:03 PM

Dec 2010
Found the whole idea of Giftias kinda stupid so I wasn't really very emotionally touched when that stuff happened at the end of the episode.
I also kinda know the general direction the story is going to take from now, so unless it'll go in a completely different direction (which I doubt) this series will end up as just another mediocre anime.

I hope for the best.

3.5/5
Apr 4, 2015 1:05 PM

Dec 2014
Now... this episode was something unexpected. I didn't have high hopes for this but the first episode got me hooked. Definitely watching this.
Apr 4, 2015 1:06 PM

Mar 2014
That was amazing, what a great show this is going to be.
Cast is really colorful, in more ways than one, and all are very likeable so far and their interactions are good as well.
I was kinda afraid of the comedy in this show honestly, given it's plot and characters it's kinda obvious the end is going to be a sad one (who knows, maybe they'll improve the system by then but even then) and so I was fearing the comedy and the sad moments would contrast too much but damn was this directed well, the buildup on that last scene was really good and the comedy that broke up the sad mood afterwards just fit so perfectly it actually made me laugh after being super teary eyed from the goodbye.

It was also obvious Isla was crying in this scene too

Can't help but wonder what her story is, maybe she had a giftia friend that expired or even a human friend that died? I'm really interested in how it'll go, I highly doubt it'll stick to an episodic style and just retriving giftias.
Also wondering how old she is (how long she has left).

Still some things I'd like them to go over, like why can't they just save their memories or something, seems like one of those things that's just there for the sake of the plot and not much else but even then, these guys don't age, unless you want to move their memories from body to body our MC would never be able to have a relationship with Isla (forget that she's a robot), I imagine that's something the show is going to go over with with the whole "doesn't matter if you're a robot or not" deal.
Though I'd love to see how they'd develop into their elderly years, maybe a giftia who passed the time limit and ended up okay and is now 60+ years old, maybe a one in a million cases (not sure if this is a bad or good idea because Isla would also probably end up being one of those cases), I'd love to hear what kinda of thing they think about then.

And there was also that couple(?) in this episode, I also imagine they'll go over those in time but didn't really like they just brushed off those 2 when they probably had their story to tell, but then again, I imagine everyone who has a giftia has a story to tell, I guess I just didn't like that it was handled so lightly, in the end everything here has to be handled with extreme care because giftias all end up being very important to their owners, I'm not really asking for sadness all the time and I think they understand to not make the parting moments too funny but I really hope they don't drop the ball.

But yes, loveable characters, great comedy, solid directing and this android deal has lots of room to do different things, this show is looking really good.
;_;

Ramble ramble ramble ramble.
Apr 4, 2015 1:06 PM

Jan 2014
please don't fuck up please don't fuck up please don't fuck up please don't fuck up ..

Didn't cry, but got sad, of course. :(

that motherfucking OST in the retrieval scene is amazing. (is it starmine, the ed?)
"The one true, unchanging righteousness in the world is..cuteness! Cute makes right! All our needs, desires, and instincts seek cuteness, and it is for cuteness that we will give everything we have! That's just the way men are!" - Sora
Apr 4, 2015 1:07 PM

Jan 2014
Animation is pretty, music is beautiful, main character is adorable, that last scene almost made me shed a tear. Folks I think we have our best anime of spring 2015 !!!
Apr 4, 2015 1:08 PM

Nov 2012
This is pretty good, I like it.
Apr 4, 2015 1:09 PM

Oct 2014
Damn.. I really like this show... It gave me some Cortana vibes with the whole 9 years of registered service before becoming defective or in this case memories go bye-bye.
D3pthChargeApr 4, 2015 1:13 PM
Apr 4, 2015 1:10 PM

Jul 2014
This is the first anime that made me cry this year. Great job!
"My god, jelly donuts are so scary." - Fujiwara no Mokou
Apr 4, 2015 1:11 PM

Jan 2014
Memory... is the diary that we all carry about with us.

9 Years and then goodbye, be it a dog, cat or android, it seems that the drill is the same. I like the setting, and the episode was interesting and sad.
Apr 4, 2015 1:16 PM

Jul 2013
That episode went... not how I expected it to go. Surprisingly nice, I'm excited to see how the rest of this show turns out.
Apr 4, 2015 1:20 PM

Mar 2010
Apr 4, 2015 1:22 PM

Jan 2013
Why would anyone buy basically a human, knowing that it will die 9 years later? And why aren't there some stricter regulations by the government to prevent owners from refusing the retrievals? I kinda liked the episode though.
Apr 4, 2015 1:24 PM

Mar 2011
Omg, the feels T_T I'm loving this series already.
Apr 4, 2015 1:32 PM

Feb 2014
While the animation is lacking the feels are not T_T
Apr 4, 2015 1:39 PM

Dec 2013
I assume every episode will follow the same format, if it does though. My heart may not be able to take it, I cry too much from anime already.
Apr 4, 2015 1:43 PM

Jul 2010
This had great comedic moments and with wonderful dramatic moments too. Having to witnesses these goodbyes so many times ;_;

Isla was really funny though, using the error whenever she doesn't wanto to do something, the power of a veteran xD

Tsukasa reaction to Isla's attempts!

Sigh, really weak to scenes like these including an energetic and a bright person having to go away like that. Nina's feeling for her grandma, her worries created a magnificent scene!

Lol at Isla though, becoming so understanding when she see fits xD Definetely some feelings of contradiction but that just shows that this was directed really well!
FatefulLoveApr 4, 2015 2:07 PM
Apr 4, 2015 1:46 PM
Feb 2015
This anime kinda reminds me of Chobits.

I get that they are android but how are they able to produce tears and snot and where does the organic food they eat go?

The Androids here got me interested because they seem to have biotic parts.

Yeah, yeah i know it is sci-fi but it is not satisfying to leave it like because it is the future there must be an explanation on how the androids function.

I'm gonna watch more of these i do hope they get to explain on how the androids function.
Apr 4, 2015 1:47 PM

May 2012
feels in the first episode. I sense that greatest awaits.
Apr 4, 2015 1:52 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
DarkDooM2 said:
Found the whole idea of Giftias kinda stupid so I wasn't really very emotionally touched when that stuff happened at the end of the episode.

Yeah I thought it was weird too when the premise for the Plastic Memories was out. I don't think it's stupid per se, and I can think of at least one reason why some people would want a Giftia, but the whole idea of it obviously sets the story for drama and feels, not that it's a bad thing. We'll see how this goes :) Really like the song at the end though, it's so pretty (and sad).
Apr 4, 2015 1:54 PM
Feb 2015
Aipom said:
Why would anyone buy basically a human, knowing that it will die 9 years later? And why aren't there some stricter regulations by the government to prevent owners from refusing the retrievals? I kinda liked the episode though.

IKR i hope they get to clarify some stuff up in the next episode. I don't want a feels fest/ comedy the entire season of this anime.

i hope it goes the same route as Death Parade it's not only about the games and feels but also useful plot development that will make us understand the story.
Apr 4, 2015 2:01 PM

Aug 2013
That was a pretty good start to the series! It had some comedy mixed in, but then the drama kicked in and I quite enjoyed it. Really liking Isla right now, she's really cute!

Artstyle is definitely one I haven't seen before. So many white lines.
Apr 4, 2015 2:01 PM

Apr 2011
This was very good episode those feels at the end.
Apr 4, 2015 2:09 PM
Mar 2014
Was looking forward to this, and now I can say it lived up to what I was expecting from the first episode.

Will be looking forward to this each week.

Feels incoming.
Apr 4, 2015 2:12 PM

Mar 2014
Aipom said:
Isla touched on this subject slightly this episode with her comment on how she wished she didn't have any emotions or memories if it just meant she was going to be sad at the end and forget everything, and Nina replied with how happy she was that she got to be part of her Grandma's family, this idea is explored a lot, what is the point of making friends if we're all going our seperate ways or if we are all going to die someday? To elderly people these companion really mean a lot and it's always a better solution to being always alone, haven't seen elderly loneliness explored all that much in anime and while this show didn't go too indepth on it it was like a reminder and I found that aspect quite nice as well.
And these are AIs, which is another interesting idea, was Nina saying she would be retrieved and meant what she actually said with her not wanting to cause trouble to people or was that how she was programmed to be? Did she develop those feelings or were they always there?
Obviously you can also question why they even feel sadness at all but it goes back to the above, if they didn't feel sadness they'd be a lot distant to humans, when her grandma didn't feel sadness she wouldn't understand, obviously the greater the bond the more it hurts when parting with each other and it all goes back to "was it worth it?"
I hope the show also explores those ideas with some Giftias lacking certain emotions because maybe they don't require them for their jobs, I imagine not all of them are companions and some actually work and whatnot.
Apr 4, 2015 2:13 PM

Nov 2011
This has alot of potential. I'm excited to find out how this develops. xD
Apr 4, 2015 2:15 PM

Feb 2014
Wasn't impressed by this episode. Pretty lacking animation and a lot generic characters. Final moment was nice but it didn't move me an the rest of the episode was medicore.
Apr 4, 2015 2:16 PM

Oct 2014
_P5 said:
Hah, the scene where they were at the grandma's house reminded me of the chocolate selling episode in Sponge Bob ¬_¬...

Well, that's certainly an interesting comparison. Haha But it matches quite well, I think.
Apr 4, 2015 2:16 PM

Jan 2014
Omg it's so sad and it's just the first episode! T-T

Really excited for this series. :)
Apr 4, 2015 2:19 PM

Dec 2013
Great start. Found the end surprisingly emotional.

I really like Isla. She is pretty funny :)

Definitely looking forward to this anime!
Apr 4, 2015 2:21 PM

Feb 2012
Well this is interesting. I still don't exactly know what's going on.

A sad episode and I think I got the feeling of the series, good potential.
Apr 4, 2015 2:32 PM

Jul 2014
That reminds me, I wrote this almost two weeks ago:

Red_Tuesday said:
#1 hype for the season, I just worry that they'll handle comic relief like Shigatsu did (IE with the grace of a tonne of bricks)

I'm psychic.

The only negative to this episode was the way too sudden and forced toilet joke at the end right after the heavy moment.
Apr 4, 2015 2:35 PM

Jun 2014
O great! Another one of those guy meets beautiful girl moments!
So this is like Psycho Pass where Inspectors make sure the Enforcers don't run off kindof thing?
This is even worse than Psycho Pass, the spotters don't have to do anything !!!

It gets quite emotional whenever I see the humans part from their emotional companions, but the image of animu waifu pillows keep showing up and the feels just disappear.

Apr 4, 2015 2:35 PM

Aug 2013
Decoysknight said:
This show might be a hidden gem this season

Yeah, I sense AOTS if not year.
Great 1st episode
5/5 of course
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Apr 4, 2015 2:36 PM

Nov 2013
Seems like the whole concept of Giftias is just there to draw feels from the audience. We all know how the show's going to end, so how it holds up will, like Shigatsu, depend on its execution.

Those camera movements and transitions in the first couple minutes of the episode were pretty nifty though.
Apr 4, 2015 2:37 PM

Nov 2011
already cried like a baby on the first episode lol.
Hate Keeps me warm
Apr 4, 2015 2:38 PM
Mar 2010
Meh, forced drama. Tries to make me cry too hard.
Apr 4, 2015 2:40 PM

Apr 2014
First episode and I almost cried already.
Apr 4, 2015 2:41 PM

Jan 2013
I really loved this premiere. It's my favorite yet.
The atmosphere feels unique, the animation is good, and it was easy to follow and likable.
Also, no op or ed or preview.
Apr 4, 2015 2:43 PM

Nov 2012
Decoysknight said:
You clearly don't know the meaning of "hidden"
You might call it underrated later (which clearly isn't so far), but this is by no means "hidden"
Apr 4, 2015 2:46 PM

Apr 2014
damnit im crying... and its the first ep

i dont know if my heart can survive the whole cour
Apr 4, 2015 2:47 PM

Mar 2014
VirtualStar said:
Decoysknight said:
You might call it underrated later (which clearly isn't so far), but this is by no means "hidden"
I expected it to end up being the dark horse of the season but it's surprisingly popular.
Apr 4, 2015 2:48 PM
Nov 2013
looks good.
Apr 4, 2015 2:49 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Paulo27 said:
VirtualStar said:
I expected it to end up being the dark horse of the season but it's surprisingly popular.

Probably people which found out that the Steins Gate writer is behind all this. I can say, i was hyped for this when i found out.
Apr 4, 2015 2:50 PM

Feb 2011
Red_Tuesday said:
The only negative to this episode was the way too sudden and forced toilet joke at the end right after the heavy moment.

"shitty jokes" literally xD

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
Apr 4, 2015 2:54 PM

Sep 2014
The feels with Nina. So close to tears. Though I wonder if the grandma would take up the special offers and get a new Nina. Probably not.
Apr 4, 2015 2:56 PM
Jul 2018
Kind of reminds me of Planetes.
Apr 4, 2015 2:56 PM
Jul 2018
Omg...why is this so sad?
I feel I'm going to cry an ocean through this show. ='(
Great first episode though. I want Isla to live forever.
Apr 4, 2015 3:01 PM

Apr 2010
I wasn't sure what to expect since the description and tag of this anime where kind of vague.
But i have to say after watching the first episode that this anime looks pretty interesting.

The main had his delusions crushed pretty quickly.
I would tell him that he is young and it's his first day it's not like he is going to start out as company CEO.
Apr 4, 2015 3:10 PM

Mar 2014
Smudy said:
Wow, that was wonderful, i got so close to crying for real.

the feelz :'(
I am glad that i picked this up.
Apr 4, 2015 3:16 PM

Aug 2014
I dropped it a 5min in the episode. Then I saw people saying stuff about feels...

THE FEELS!!!!!!!

Also that ending lol :P
Pages (11) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Plastic Memories Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Tendou-kun - May 22, 2015

222 by Penguinu »»
Yesterday, 3:18 AM

» Are they really Android?

Animo_san - Apr 13

0 by Animo_san »»
Apr 13, 5:58 AM

Poll: » Plastic Memories Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 27, 2015

533 by Moonlit_whisper1 »»
Mar 22, 12:13 PM

» Plastic memories

Golden__Darkness - May 16, 2015

8 by Shinetizinho »»
Jan 13, 6:25 PM

» How did you feel while watching this and what impression did the anime leave on you? ( 1 2 )

sorames - Jun 8, 2023

50 by maximovich »»
Jan 12, 2:09 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.