Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Say I Love You.
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Feb 11, 2014 9:10 PM

Jun 2013
Yamato is a total boss so far. Need more MCs like him and less whiny/shy/useless ones.
Mar 9, 2014 3:35 AM

Oct 2013
showed that stalker. all the characters seem so much older than high school students.

the ED, reminds me of the C3 ED
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Mar 10, 2014 6:10 PM
Jan 2014
Haha, rewatching this episode for the 3rd time. I like to rewatch the first episodes, they're light and they make me smile. The full OP (which I found on Youtube) also invokes a calm peace into me, which is another reason why I wanted to rewatch this.

Pff. Just like a guy to think that a kiss wouldn't effect her too much. Still, good for him getting the stalker to go away.

2SugoiToActSugoiMar 10, 2014 6:44 PM
moving on.
Apr 23, 2014 9:55 PM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
I'm interested in Mei's past and that bunny incident more.

That stalker was like "I'mma get me some high school girl tonight" then Mei calls Kurosawa and the stalker's night is ruined. When he saw the kiss he probably thought "curse that high school boy. Ruining my perfect night"

But wow 35 mins just waiting for her to come out of the store. He was really determined to have her.

Thar roundhouse kick was nice, and Kurosawa saw a little extra as well if you know what I mean.

Mei's classmates hating her for being a loner and and mean personality. They make me sick, judging someone before even knowing about them personally.

Jul 6, 2014 8:27 PM

Oct 2009
I've read the manga before but I never went beyond the first chap cos I was lazy to continue.

Story-wise, it's pretty interesting. And the show has a tranquil feeling about it.

It's a bit cliched to have either the heroine or hero to be the most popular person in the sch. Alr seen it before in Maid-sama!, Special A, Witchcraft works etc but I guess it's to make the character desirable. And the main love interest (Yamato) as expected doesn't go for the girls flocking towards him and is instead more interested in the aloof girls, which I don't really mind.

I really like the heroine more (Mei) than the hero, and it's quite uncommon for that to happen in shoujo. I find Mei really relatable and she isn't fake, unlike most ppl but of course the price to pay is constant harassment.

About the hero...Yamato doesn't scream 'desirable hot guy' to me. He just looks normal..

2SugoiToActSugoi said:
ff. Just like a guy to think that a kiss wouldn't effect her too much. Still, good for him getting the stalker to go away.

I just find it strange that Yamato decides he's in love with Mei in such a short period of time(but I think that's an act to ward the stalker away) and I rolled my eyes when he kissed her without thinking twice of the repercussions that would follow. I think I would favour him more and plot if he used the right words instead of the 'right' actions. Still would continue to watch.
Jul 26, 2014 5:14 AM

Dec 2012
Decent first episode, I have kind of mixed feeling.

The story itself thus far really isn't anything new, it looks like the kind of love story you see in many other shoujo anime as well as hollywood romance. You have your lower status ostracized maybe a little unconventional female lead and then you have her shining knight handsome popular perfect guy love interest who will completely change her life. I don't particularly sympathise with Mei yet since all her classmates who have bullied her aren't really fleshed out and at the moment it just seems like the typical society is mean to people who are different trope.

When it comes to the story/characters the only thing that grabbed my attention was when her skirt got pulled and she flipped out and said that everyone always says that it was an accident but yet it keeps happening. I'm not sure if I have heard this before but it is a very interesting little observation on the way people act that really rings true as often times people may not do bad things to others on purpose but that could also just mean that they simply don't care enough to stop it from happening.

As far as art goes it does look pretty good, nothing really in the backgrounds or character designs that stick out but the animation on the roundhouse kick scene on the stairway I thought was fantastic.
Aug 5, 2014 8:48 AM

Apr 2010
If he didn't mean what he just told her then he's a jerk ._.'' but I guess he really meant it.
Sep 2, 2014 7:33 AM

Mar 2014
Ohh.. ~ .. Romance ... I'm feeling the "love" vibes !!
Mr. nonchalant and Ms. aloof .. First Opposite attractions ~ !!
Interesting ... ~ :D
Stalker approaching !! Distance away !!
Smooching ~Aishiteru~ ... <3 !!
"For the First time in Forever" ~ ... Cute mei yeh !!
Romantic episode !!!
Time to feel the "amour' moments !!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 3, 2014 8:48 AM

Jan 2014
This first episode was almost perfect :)
Oct 16, 2014 12:11 AM

Dec 2013
Average episode, the plot seems typical and weak.

How about calling the Japanese emergency line or better yet ask the counter of the convenient store for help. Male MC comes along and decides to fken make out with female MC in front of the pedo. Mind = blown, really? Get the guy behind bars please rather than stare at him as you put ur tongue down a girl's throat hoping to scare him.

i get it though, all for the progression of the two characters. Hope this leads to something better.
Nov 21, 2014 12:29 AM

Feb 2013
Sukitte Ii na Yo, in my opinion, is one of these anime series that leave you with a pleasant feeling after finishing the last episode, it’s relaxing and will surely make you want to watch more. It’s like you just watched a Japanese drama about love, light and beautiful. I can say that 1st episode surprised me a little. Mei isn’t just a weak girl with an angelic mind, and Yamato is a perfect match for her, did she just make him laugh? Pretty cool, I think.
Dec 16, 2014 6:42 PM

Aug 2013
Ahhhh, yes, only a handsome bishounen can steal a girl first kiss and get away with it :P

Anyway, that stalker sure was a creepy fucker. Come on, following a school-girl after work. Couldn't you have done a less cliche stalking? He must be a newbie in stalking, my neighbor doesn't even knows I search in her garbages. A proud stalker don't let his prey knows that he's stalking, jeez.

Emotives said:
How about calling the Japanese emergency line

Yeah, that's an option. Except if it bother you to wait to hours for the police to come (that's pretty much the experiance I had with a policecall).
minouneetzoeDec 16, 2014 6:46 PM
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Feb 26, 2015 5:30 PM

Jul 2013
Cute!
Mar 21, 2015 4:37 PM

Apr 2007
lol a stalker brought them together? That's a first
Jul 3, 2015 9:57 PM

Feb 2011
Simple. Cute. I like how Yamato seems like a legit nice guy and doesn't throw up a half dozen red flags like so many other male leads do when they first appear. Mei's not some weak little damsel either.

The only thing that bothered me was how Yamato resolved things with the stalker. Hey, let's say "I love you" and surprise kiss the already freaked out anti-social girl who called you out of desperation. That makes total sense! Even if it was a ruse or whatever to discourage the stalker, I can't imagine someone like Mei not being crazy freaked out over it (cuz, you know, it was inappropriate), but I'm sure he'll get away with it to an extent since he's the male lead. Oh well, I guess there was bound to be at least one sort of hitch; I can deal.
NikokoJul 4, 2015 10:06 PM
Sep 6, 2015 10:40 AM

Feb 2015
Whoa! Kiss in the first episode?! That was unexpected...
Oct 29, 2015 1:42 PM

Feb 2014
Why do so many anime disappoint me ~.~

I'll probably continue but some things are seriously wrong:

Nakanishi really got the message across, girls ask ''for it'' by dressing in shorter skirts, and peeking under them.. I'm only mad Mei didn't really beat the hell out of him. The pervy unimportant idiotic and disgusting, insignificant character aside, the MC is very melodramatic.

She is getting all worked up because of one group of friends in kindergarten who accused her of their rabbit's death. It may not have been pleasant, but it doesn't leave emotional trauma. Not in a sense of not having any friends/boyfriends or any other thing.

Now, let's get nitpicky ( ̄ー ̄):

1. the cat running away was animated as a small dog stupidly jumping around,
  2. bandages do nothing in regards of any medical improvement to a bruise whatsoever,
  3. it creates a damsel in distress situation, similar to Ore Monogatari!!, just so that the male romantic interest has an opportunity to swoop in and save the day therefore incarnate as a true prince charming

Not that anyone will care, but I guess I'll continue watching. I'm not usually as nitpicky as I was with this episode. I wonder what came over me. I figure I'm really tired of all these cliches.
Nov 27, 2015 6:07 PM

Feb 2013
It's only the first episode and the loserest girl hooked up with the hottest guy. That was some obvious stalking...

Another (wrong) way to look at this... she had 2 guys interested in her.
Mar 7, 2016 6:01 AM

Jun 2010
Loved the episode and art! The characters are pretty and it's great to see a male character who isn't full of himself even he's popular.
Loved the scene where he stoled the kiss 😚😚😚😚 and the older man stalking was creepy. Way too old for her.

The only minus here is that "I love you " was said way too quickly. He doesn't even know her so how about "I like you "?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 7, 2016 6:20 PM

Jan 2014
I loved the intrigue in the opening and the tension in the air when she called him for help. Felt like a real life situation.
May 18, 2016 7:21 PM

Jun 2013
Yamato: "Mei, I love you."

They he kissed her.

Then they lived happily every after.

Loving this already. ♥
Jun 12, 2016 10:24 AM

Apr 2016
I really liked the drawing style.
The kiss was totally unnecessary, but well... and he even used 'ai shiteiru' which Japanese people almost never say?? Kinda weird.

I felt a bit like Mei during my school years. 'Nothing starts until you start it' Good quotes already ^.^
Jul 5, 2016 11:50 AM

Feb 2015
phoenixalia said:

don't judge it just yet, bud. it may look like it, but there's a reason why its one of the best selling shoujos this year in Japan. Give it some more time.

you could say the same for ao haru ride; because it's best-selling means nothing, ao haru ride is worse than garbage.

jiroutachi said:
Wow, this was surprisingly good. I usually dislike shoujo, but I really liked this, it left me a great impression. The two main characters are really likeable and I fell in love with Tachibana right away. Waaaay better than Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun imo.

tonari is a romcom and this is supposed to be taken seriously, so no-one can really judge that much.

OG-3 said:

WAT.

SetsukoHara said:
meepsheep said:
I like the fact that we don't have people with light blue or purple hair. I like realistic colours way more.

Yeah, this. ^^

meh, i don't even care. colored hair looks natural in anime for some reason to me lol. although dark hair is my favorite.

rodac said:
I'll be interested to see how they handle some of the relationships in the show since some characters are sexually active.

THAT will be VERY interesting to see. a shoujou with no virgins? bring it on.
-----------
so, that happened.....

i was originally intending to watch this, but has confused ao haru ride with this instead.

i've never made a worse mistake in my life.

long (VERY VERY AGONIZINGLY LONG) story short, after i finished that disaster, it had drained me so badly of shoujou that i was going to drop this show before i even started it. however here i am. one of the biggest reasons why i chose to watch it because it's serialized from the same magazine as tonari, so that kinda gave me hope.

so this episode seems interesting. the girl is such a downer, though, wowee. yamoto (whatever his name is) looks much too old to pass as any high schooler, let alone anything below a third year. he looks like he's bout to graduate fr, lol. i like his pervy friend, he just stuck to me. i must say i have a little liking to perverts (not extreme ones though).

as i am the millionth person to say so, tonari vibes on the kiss, but only by the kiss only. yamoto did that to protect her and i can't argue with that. it still made me jump, it was so sudden, lol. it's also cleche that she'd never kissed or been kissed before, but again that makes sense since she's distanced herself for so long. it's not like the really cleche girl, that is adorable and is liked by everyone, but just can't happen to kiss or get one.

i was taken this is a serious shoujo but the stalker/potential-rapist really had me spookt, but that's alright, it's serious.

animation is good, much better than ao haru ride. i must say this ep didn't blow me away and i am still emotionally raped from ride (not even kidding), so i'm not going to get into this with all hopes up. but it is worth looking at for me. ride was cringe ever since the start.
TomDayJul 5, 2016 9:32 PM
Aug 3, 2016 2:18 PM

Oct 2015
pretty rude and weird of a stalker to ask a guy that is with his victim who he is ;o

that kiss was unnecessary tho.. just walking away with her would've done the job of driving away the stalker as well >->
Aug 16, 2016 12:34 PM

Jun 2015
Let's be honest. He didn't have to kiss her for that.
Aug 21, 2016 3:01 PM

Aug 2015
Well, it's gonna be a nice romance I think.
Whoa, that scene with stalker...
Nah, Yamato is such a nice guy...
Sep 10, 2016 7:21 PM

Apr 2011
This episode is a nice introduction to the series. I love the character designs and animation.

Code Lyoko, we'll reset it all
Code Lyoko, be there when you call
Code Lyoko, we will stand real tall
Code Lyoko, stronger after all
Nov 27, 2016 5:48 AM

Jun 2013
Well the character designs may be cute, the series is not. It's like a twisted version of Kimi ni Todoke. I'm not even a fan of the latter, mind you.

The way these two handled the stalker situation was something I found stupid, and the implications it made were pretty troubling. So instead of calling the police, or at least help the girl stand up for herself, you shove your tongue down her throat, and then look at the stalker as a dog marking its territory. It made me uncomfortable.
Sep 9, 2017 10:19 PM

May 2013
Ugghhhh, that creep was disgusting! This is why I never walk alone in the dark D:
But Mei was hella cute at the bakery though :D she should put her hair up like that more often. Shows her cute face <3

I really liked the band aid scene xD

And Yamato is sooooo good-looking, but don't let down your guard yet! I don't trust handsome men LOLOLOL. They're the dangerous ones cuz they normally get what they want with their good looks and all, y'know. He doesn't seem so bad though, but still be cautious! D:<
Nov 28, 2017 2:57 PM

Jul 2016
His friend bump to Mei

Mei walks away

Yamato say she's interesting.

Me: WHAT???

__

His friend trying to touch/flip Mei skirt

Mei kicked Yamato

Yamato *laughs*

Me: Okay. No way I'm gonna understand this guy.

Anyway I hate this.. everyone is sexually harassing the MC.
Dec 18, 2017 9:27 AM

Dec 2016
That business guy was seriously watching her D: What a creep!
I feel for Mei :( We can't trust anyone until we find the right person who'll be on our side forever. It's hard to find, but it takes some time. I hope Yamato can show her she can trust him deeply and specialy open her heart <3

For a first episode, it was very cute X3

[*]My Completed List
[*]♪Listen ►
[/list][/left]
Mar 7, 2018 11:23 AM

Sep 2011
What. So you can casually kiss someone if you want to defend a woman who's being stalked?

Aug 15, 2018 7:05 PM
Nov 2015
I’m hooked from the first episode
Apr 17, 2019 11:36 PM

Aug 2017
Nice first ep, typical shoujo stuff. I want more of that cute girl with the big knockers.

Male MC pulling out high level moves from the get go. Break out the wedding bells already. Glad she didn't punch or kick him.

Jul 13, 2019 11:27 AM

Jul 2014
I'm glad I found yet another example of the omnipresent stalker trope.
Jan 10, 2021 9:26 PM
Feb 2020
Laciie said:

Anyways, I'm so happy it's not some sloppy/crap animation, because this is one of my favourite shoujo manga. PLEASE do not screw it up like Fruits Basket. One of the most beautiful mangas ever, and the anime was horrible. The plotline was messed up. The only thing that was good was the music.

Hi m from the future and m happy to tell you that your opinion about fruit basket's animation would change in 6 years from your time
Jan 27, 2021 3:26 AM
May 2020
i was expecting a lot more hate for this, from the hot guy being interested in MC to kissing her to save her from stalker nothing made sense, at first i thought maybe he wanted like a permanent solution instead of just saving the moment so showing that she had a boyfriend would discourage the stalker but if you are a middle aged man stalking a 16 year old girl there is no way you'd be discouraged by that, also why the heck is the MC still carrying around the note? also isnt her mom usually home at that hour cooking? convenient convenience store is way too convenient. creepy stalker is creepy enough to become invisible but only for couple seconds.

also the hot guy is totally fine with his "best friend" lifting up skirts but isnt fine with the stalker? maybe he should have kissed her when the pervy guy lifted her skirt eh?

anyway i just hope all the nonsense was done to establish a starting point and stops in later episodes
Feb 25, 2021 3:15 PM
Dec 2019
Ahh this made me so giddy!
May 20, 2021 12:59 PM
Jan 2021
No way did they kiss on ep 1! it wasn't like weird or anything either like it felt deserved. I've seen shows that had the characters wait for 10 episodes to kiss and it didn't feel earned (as a viewer). But this show did it right and in ONE EP! I love this sm I'm excited to watch more :D
Aug 2, 2021 12:49 AM
Aug 2021
no puedo ver el video, me sale negro :,
(
Dec 29, 2021 3:30 PM

Aug 2014
For what its worth: the stalker was more handsome than the male MC
Feb 3, 2022 11:58 PM
Jan 2021
To be honest, this episode has a great potential of what would be the series like. A great unique start imo.
Mar 7, 2022 8:41 AM

May 2015
Why is this dude who seems nice friends with a guy who is the enemy of women?

But damn, bro went all out. Didn't use some form of "suki" or anything, he straight up said "ai shiteru". Commitment to the act. Well done, son lol
SuranaMar 18, 2022 7:21 PM
"It's a tragic misunderstanding that could have been easily avoided if he just finished his sentence in time!"

— Richard Watterson (The Amazing World of Gumball)
May 5, 2022 8:57 PM

Aug 2018
popular guy(the school prince) falls for nerdy girl same crappy story always told
Apr 21, 2023 3:01 AM

Feb 2019
Yamato giving Mei a kiss infront of her stalker made me cringe.
I mean, at this point he's not different of a creep than the stalker himself.
He could've just saved her by telling him she's his girlfriend, or much better soon to be fiance.

Jul 10, 2023 4:42 PM

Mar 2023
I can tell I'm going to LOVE this :D
Jul 20, 2023 5:09 PM
Jul 2020
Rewatching this after 8 years is so refreshing. I love the OP and END songs and the animation is beautiful. Not like the styles we're seeing today that are more MOE.

Yamato is that good-looking guy who is popular but FAILS to realize how much the girls love him. Taking that back, he probably does realize it but he's not a show off about it. The way Mei kicks him is really well-animated—iconic, even. I feel like the reason some people don't like this series is because of how realistic it is.

It has its awkward moments that two teens have to go through when it comes to becoming friends. I mean, Mei is an introvert who gets bullied for being too serious. While Yamato is the popular guy who likes a challenge rather than someone who would like him so easily.

They animated the creepy stalker scene so well. I just love this series so much, I recommend it to anyone. <3 <3 <3
May 8, 9:46 PM

Jan 2021
bro i hate this guy why would he kiss her just like that he couldve said he's her boyfriend COME ONN
May 8, 9:48 PM

Jan 2021
Reply to downymaiden
Yamato giving Mei a kiss infront of her stalker made me cringe.
I mean, at this point he's not different of a creep than the stalker himself.
He could've just saved her by telling him she's his girlfriend, or much better soon to be fiance.
@downymaiden I agree :/ I hate when male leads do stuff like that and then it gets brushed off as innocent
May 25, 7:05 AM

Jul 2021
BRO I FUCKING LOVED THIS.

ah this was perfect. the opening sequence giving us a glimpse into the life of our mc in a spectacular fashion in a few seconds which had everything we needed to know about her.

nothing satsifies the heart of a young man like watching shoujo does.

the intro of the boy was really nice too. and he genuinely seems like a nice guy. the last scene it seemed like he pushed the boundaries too much but looking at mei's reaction i guess not. loved the kiss. it literally came outta nowhere even though i knew the episode title. very well done episode. i will rate this episode alone a 10/10. i hope this level of quality in visuals and story continues. can't wait to watch more.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sukitte Ii na yo. Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2012

218 by TsutanaiFuun »»
May 26, 10:34 AM

Poll: » Sukitte Ii na yo. Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2012

246 by TsutanaiFuun »»
May 25, 10:00 AM

Poll: » Sukitte Ii na yo. Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Dec 8, 2012

142 by Thochu »»
May 9, 7:45 PM

Poll: » Sukitte Ii na yo. Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

kingshu - Nov 30, 2012

115 by Thochu »»
May 9, 7:21 PM

Poll: » Sukitte Ii na yo. Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Nov 17, 2012

156 by Thochu »»
May 9, 1:23 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.