Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jan 29, 2010 6:41 PM

Sep 2007
The intensely sad conclusion of the OVA.

It is enough to choke one up, I think.
Feb 25, 2010 3:45 AM

Sep 2009
One of the saddest endings ever! :'(
TIME TO LIVE FOREVER BABY!

http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=19549
Please join if you love Asian Cinema :)
Apr 7, 2010 7:48 PM

Dec 2007
anime get 10/10, allot better then the TV series.

now i know why its rated so high...
Apr 20, 2010 2:59 PM

Feb 2010
A favorite, actually one out of the two tens on my anime list. (I think the other ten is something else RK related)
The first two episodes didn't drag me in, in fact I'm not sure when I considered this my favorite anime ever. All I remember is I choked at the end, and have now re-watched it a lot.
Also I think the unfulfilled feeling is something they want you to get, so you will go and watch the anime/manga (Even if you already have)
Apr 23, 2010 7:56 AM
Mar 2010
Amazing.

Almost made me cry...
I want more ;_;, should I watch the anime?
Or should I leave it this way with a good taste in my mouth?

I was so connected to the characters...and now when I finished it I feel so sad ><
Apr 24, 2010 8:09 PM

Sep 2009
That was infinitely better than the main series. The ending was very fitting too, something I can't say a lot nowadays about...anything.
Jun 5, 2010 10:07 AM

Jun 2009
Dunno why this is rated so highly, wasn't as good as I expected it to be.
Jun 5, 2010 9:06 PM

May 2010
Tyestor said:

That's because you haven't even seen the actual series, Rurouni Kenshin.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jun 5, 2010 9:27 PM

Jun 2009
Confucius said:
Tyestor said:

Considering that this is a prequel, I don't need to see it.
Jun 5, 2010 10:03 PM

May 2010
Tyestor said:
Confucius said:
Tyestor said:

The OVA was made 1999, the series started in 1996. It's not actually a prequel, it almost like a side story, but in a sense it is a prequel.
Jun 9, 2010 4:45 PM

Feb 2010
Confucius said:
Tyestor said:
Confucius said:
Tyestor said:

The OVA was made 1999, the series started in 1996. It's not actually a prequel, it almost like a side story, but in a sense it is a prequel.

I didn't see the series first. and i still loved it, lawlz wats up with you? jkjk.....
Jun 10, 2010 12:41 AM

Jun 2009
Confucius said:
Tyestor said:
Confucius said:
Tyestor said:

Just because it was made after the original series doesn't mean it's not a prequel.
Jun 10, 2010 11:29 AM

May 2010
Tyestor said:
Confucius said:
Tyestor said:
Confucius said:
Tyestor said:

Just because it was made after the original series doesn't mean it's not a prequel.

Have you even read the Manga? This so called "prequel" takes place after the series.
Jul 9, 2010 5:47 AM

Feb 2009
What is this stupid discussion going on?

Prequel, like the name says, takes place before the main story. Doesn't need to happen before the main story, it just needs to happen before something. It doesn't matter if Tsuiokuhen was made before or after, it's still a prequel to the series. That doesn't mean that it won't be helpful watching the first installments first, since sometimes watching chronoligically doesn't mean watching the right-way. I usually watch stuff the order they are aired/published, that's how the director would want his work to be experienced.

I honestly think that people watching Tsuiokuhen without first watching the TV series (up to a certain point, because it remains as pointless fillers after that) won't fully enjoy this OVA, as per why... that would need yet another big explanation >_>
Jul 14, 2010 8:53 AM

Jun 2009
Veethorn said:
What is this stupid discussion going on?

Prequel, like the name says, takes place before the main story. Doesn't need to happen before the main story, it just needs to happen before something. It doesn't matter if Tsuiokuhen was made before or after, it's still a prequel to the series. That doesn't mean that it won't be helpful watching the first installments first, since sometimes watching chronoligically doesn't mean watching the right-way. I usually watch stuff the order they are aired/published, that's how the director would want his work to be experienced.

I honestly think that people watching Tsuiokuhen without first watching the TV series (up to a certain point, because it remains as pointless fillers after that) won't fully enjoy this OVA, as per why... that would need yet another big explanation >_>

Not entirely true I say...

I remember watching several episode of Rurouni Kenshin with my cousins. (As well as reading the manga)

and I have to say, I didn't enjoy it too much. (I can't really stand comedic yet secretly badass main lead, I care so little for it I don't even remember the story and everything, only the name Kenshin.)

Which is the reason why it took me this long to give this OVA a go... This OVA is Great! I don't think watching the series first would be necessary for this truly well made OVA.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 30, 2010 5:19 AM

Jan 2010
i probably would've given this a higher note if i watched the series first...but i don't plan on doing this so...

5/10(close to 6 :p)
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Aug 9, 2010 9:19 AM

Aug 2010
A very tragic end...
Sep 21, 2010 2:45 AM

Aug 2009
clannad4ever said:
i probably would've given this a higher note if i watched the series first...but i don't plan on doing this so...

wtf you're tripping. a perfect 10
Sep 23, 2010 6:25 AM

Aug 2010
So in the end, this turned out to be pretty great. It was very real, honest, humble and beautiful in its simplicity. I'm glad it wasn't taken over the top in the finale. Oh and by the way, the animation and art were downright gorgeous, different from what I've seen thus far.
Sep 26, 2010 12:53 PM

Jan 2009
This would the my third time through the OVA's. I originally watched the OVA's before I even knew the TV series exsisted. I honestly regret it. After I watched the TV series, I went right back and rewatched the OVA's and the movie. Watching the TV series first made watching the OVA's a good 3 times more enjoyable for myself. Throughout the TV series, it leaves you questioning exactly what made Kenshin decide to switch to the reverse blade sword and use it to save lives instead of ending them, (minor TV series spoiler)
I know the TV series can be something that's hit or miss with some people. There are plenty of aspects of it that I can find very annoying. I suggest that people aleast attempt to watch the first two seasons before watching the OVA's.
Oct 31, 2010 10:39 AM

May 2010
Uggh, I saw 2 minutes of an episode and hated it. Do I really need to watch the TV series? I can only expect it to contaminate this OVA by being associated with it. I already think 1 of the 3 imperfections of this OVA is that the ending is partly dedicated to setting the scene for the series, thus leaving a sort of unsettled feeling afterwards. I might be better off pretending the TV series doesn't exist.
“Money can't buy dere”
Oct 31, 2010 11:05 AM

Jun 2009
I haven't seen much of the series, but I think it is more than a little unfair to decide you hate it just because you've seen 2 minutes of one episode.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 1, 2010 10:09 AM

May 2010
That is a fair point. I think maybe I'll make plans to eventually watch the first episode.
“Money can't buy dere”
Nov 6, 2010 12:09 PM

May 2009
Seabury said:
That is a fair point. I think maybe I'll make plans to eventually watch the first episode.

The series, even though totally different in mood for the most part, sets up the OVA really nicely. After you have seen the series(till the Shishio arc), you really WANT to know what happened to Kenshin during the rebellion. And the contrast in mood and quality just makes the OVA a much better experience.
Nov 6, 2010 3:45 PM

Sep 2008
Sapta said:
Seabury said:

The series, even though totally different in mood for the most part, sets up the OVA really nicely. After you have seen the series(till the Shishio arc), you really WANT to know what happened to Kenshin during the rebellion. And the contrast in mood and quality just makes the OVA a much better experience.

well actually it depends. For people who liked the series, this might be an enhanced experience and better watched AFTER the series. But for people like me who hate shounen cliches, there's no reason to wade through the series cuz I really didn't care about the kenshin in the TV series.

The OVA on the other hand is completely different in theme, character development, story etc, so I viewed this as a completely different anime, and I still thought this was a masterpiece even though I hated the series. That said, i dont think the series sets up the OVA (as some fans claim) or vice-versa; they are entirely different in almost every way possible except for the name of the protagonist. Hell even his personality is entirely different in the two versions.
eyerokNov 6, 2010 3:50 PM
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Nov 6, 2010 4:20 PM

Jun 2009
@ eyerok

Just to play devil's advocate, it could be argued that the events in the OVA are what shaped him into who he is in the tv series. Does that not explain the difference in personalities? Remember there is a 10 year difference.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 7, 2010 1:24 AM

Sep 2008
we could pretend that, and it would make sense too if you enjoyed the TV series as well. But then wouldn't we miss the truth i.e: the TV series kenshin is a modeled to be a perfect shounen hero, while the OVA one is a more mature kenshin to reflect the dark seinen theme of the OVA.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Nov 12, 2010 3:10 PM

May 2010
Hah, I was so used to seeing eyerock in the "Legend of the Gatlactic Heroes" threads that I thought I had clicked on the wrong link! So it seems like viewing the TV series is important because it sets up the OVA nicely? But if I've already watched the OVA (twice!), then it's really probably too late to appreciate how the TV series sets up the OVA, especially since it seems to be the shounen stereotype which I also hate. I'm still planning to watch it though, that damn curiosity won't leave me alone!
“Money can't buy dere”
Nov 14, 2010 6:05 AM

Sep 2008
Seabury said:
So it seems like viewing the TV series is important because it sets up the OVA nicely?

that's what some of the fans say, especially the ones who like the TV series. But that's not necessarily true. I think opinion here is split between two camps; on one hand some claim that the OVA is more enjoyable after watching the TV series, and on the other hand are those (like me) who think that's not true since they both represent completely different experiences.

dont sweat it though, you didnt miss much. But if you're a fan of shounen genre, you can check the TV series too.
Nov 17, 2010 1:03 PM

May 2010
I think the series has earned a spot near #200 on my to-watch list. In other words, only when I *completely* run out of other things to watch. Or, I'll watch it before dragonball z :P
“Money can't buy dere”
Nov 18, 2010 8:24 AM

Sep 2008
LOL.
Nov 18, 2010 9:06 AM

Jun 2009
So, I'm reading the manga version of Rurouni Kenshin. I'd say just skip the tv series entirely, if you don't have a aversion to manga that is. It seems to weave in Kenshin's past in a way that doesn't make Kenshin out to be the stereotypical shounen protagonist eyerok claims him to be.

Still, I do prefer Trust and Betrayal though... At least so far.

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 20, 2010 9:12 PM

May 2010
He might as well compare him to Naruto...
Nov 21, 2010 1:07 AM

Sep 2008
I wouldn't use the word 'stereotypical', but kenshin in TV anime is tailor made for a leading shounen role. His personality is similar to vash the stampede (who's more goofy, from the 2-3 eps of trigun I've seen), and Abel nightroad from trinity blood. Super bad-ass, with a dark/tragic past, sometimes goofy and innocent etc my point is that kenshins personality goes have elements of cliche, some generic traits.
eyerokNov 21, 2010 8:58 AM
Nov 24, 2010 7:09 PM

Jun 2009
@ eyerok

Of course, the one important thing to think of is that Kenshin DID come before those two examples. So, if anything, he is the one who influenced those two. Of course, there maybe an example from before him. I don't know, off the top of my head.

Also, as much as I like Vash. Kenshin is generally handled way better than him. I think the problems with the manga are more the manga in general than his character.

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 25, 2010 1:28 AM

Sep 2008
insan3soldiern said:
. I think the problems with the manga are more the manga in general than his character.

Have to admit, that's quite true. There's nothing wrong with the character itself.

If Kenshin did influence Vash and Abel, then it makes more sense.
Nov 25, 2010 3:59 PM

Jul 2007
Seabury said:

Your obviously a troll lol. You have to be seriously joking. You can't make a judgment based on only 2 min of an episode, either that or anime is just not for you. You have to have a little more patience and a open mind then that.

Thats ridiculous.

Dec 17, 2010 3:38 PM

May 2010
Why not, there's about a million anime out there, right? If I made too hasty a judgement, then at worst I've put off a potentially good series to watch other potentially good series. Now, obviously if there were lots of intelligent reviewers whom I looked up to calling it the greatest masterpiece in all of anime, I would be a fool for judging it so quickly. Since most of the reviewers that I tend to agree with dislike the series, instead I can say "hah hah suckers, you were my guinea pigs!" and walk away reasonably confident I didn't miss anything great.

Of course, I'm not denying that I'm ridiculous...
“Money can't buy dere”
Dec 20, 2010 7:02 PM

May 2010
SoFarGone said:
clannad4ever said:

If the characters were all Kawaii looking and the female character(s) was a mentally broken high school girl who will eventually fall for the zero-dimensional male main character and something tragic happens, then I think it would have gotten a 10/10
Dec 21, 2010 11:55 AM

Sep 2008
Confucius said:
SoFarGone said:
clannad4ever said:

If the characters were all Kawaii looking and the female character(s) was a mentally broken high school girl who will eventually fall for the zero-dimensional male main character and something tragic happens, then I think it would have gotten a 10/10

Clannad?
Feb 12, 2011 12:28 PM

Sep 2008
Sad that it had to end that way.

stAtic91 said:
The first two episodes didn't really capture me, but the last two focusing more on Tomoe and Himura were really nice.
Sadface conclusion. The scene where Himura is resting and you see Tomoe embracing him from behind was very sad.

This.

Yeah... That scene was sad and pretty powerful, I think. As was the part where Tomoe drew the blade slightly across Himura's cheek.

Unfortunately this OVA didn't dazzle and astound me as it did others, it seems. (Must be something wrong with me? Ahah...)
Feb 17, 2011 8:49 AM

Feb 2010
I will be frank to say that I didn't read every single volume of Kenshin ( manga ) but I do know his backdrop story. I already knew what will happen , just short of the nitty gritty details, and this still manage move me. It portrays so much emotions, meaningful subtle actions, accompanied with some of the most beautiful and gut-wrenching ost.

This OVA will stay as one of my fond memories of kenshin franchise.
Apr 8, 2011 2:35 AM

Sep 2010
Fantastic OVA. It really captured me and I thoroughly enjoyed watching this.
Jun 22, 2011 5:52 PM

Dec 2009
I thought this was beautiful, although I had these OVAs completely spoiled already, they were wonderful. 9/10.
Jul 4, 2011 4:08 AM
Sep 2010
Wow, I knew what was going to happen but it was still depressing. Glad I decided to watch this. 9/10
Aug 9, 2011 9:24 AM

Jun 2009
Really good Ending! Love this OVA, it's sad and yet so awesome. Will rewatch it someday, surely! Masterprice10/10

Aug 27, 2011 12:05 AM

Sep 2008
Received my blu ray copy today and told myself "there's no way im going to cry after watching Tsuiokuhen again". I really tried to hold it in but after all these years, it still got me and tears started flowing nonstop lol.
Sep 3, 2011 6:23 PM

Jul 2010
I already own the old version, but I decided to order the blu ray one. thanks for the heads up! :v
DJFCSep 3, 2011 6:49 PM
Sep 20, 2011 10:51 PM

Feb 2011
What a sad masterpiece 10/10
Oct 16, 2011 8:54 PM
May 2011
wow..... speechless...... Tomoe is better for kenshin then kaoru
:) who agrees?
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ManU-Alchemist - Jun 17, 2008

57 by catmancatplan »»
Apr 16, 5:23 PM

» Can I finally watch this after seeing the 2023 remake or I have to still see the Kyoto arc?

Cestlavie_ - Dec 16, 2023

13 by LoveLikeBlood »»
Feb 17, 5:17 AM

Poll: » Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ManU-Alchemist - Jun 2, 2008

75 by RFXs »»
Feb 9, 7:57 AM

» Similar tragic romance

yoru987 - Aug 13, 2023

5 by AkiraMiyazaki17 »»
Aug 17, 2023 8:20 AM

» The new pic sucks, please change it back

removed-user - Aug 4, 2019

27 by KitsuFrost »»
Aug 12, 2023 7:01 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.