Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Shikimori's Not Just a Cutie
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Apr 9, 2022 4:54 PM

May 2020
EdgyLord666 said:

Only the first 5 chs my brother.

And yes that "gag-based" type is the reason why I stop, because maybe the anime will be different, to my surprise it just increases the cheesiness aspect. However I like the 2 side chars. If you could just spoiler message me about their relationship then I'll be happy.

Apr 9, 2022 5:04 PM
May 2021
honestly can't wait for more of this
Apr 9, 2022 5:09 PM

Dec 2020
i love the colors a lot, wasnt really excited for this since im not a big fan of the manga but wow. its so nice seeing them being brought to life, i love it so far
Apr 9, 2022 5:11 PM
Mar 2015
Our boi is lucky to hve Shikamori
Apr 9, 2022 5:32 PM

Jan 2021
OP is packed and ending is super stylized. They're dynamic is cute and I'm glad their friends got so focus too. We all need a Shikimori in our lives protecting us from misfortunes.

Man so many good girls this season.

Also how in the world did she that sign.
Apr 9, 2022 5:49 PM
Jan 2021
The op blow me away it was soo beautifully done

And the series for me was okay sadly it's just the dynamics between the characters were not that good

Dynamics between characters is really important especially in a series like this that starts of the main characters as a couple from the very beginning of show

I hate to say this cause i was really looking forward for this anime i thought the main heroine is gonna have the same charisma as kitagawa which it could have been if it weren't for the dynamics between the main couple

It was a bit disappointing though I'll try watching atleast 3 episodes in this show maybe the dynamics will improve
Angel_crush1Apr 9, 2022 5:53 PM
Apr 9, 2022 5:51 PM

Jun 2013
It was fine just your typical slice of life romcom
Apr 9, 2022 5:51 PM

Jan 2021
Bro Izumi is lucky fr
Apr 9, 2022 5:52 PM
Aug 2021
lowkey, this first episode was hella cute.
Apr 9, 2022 5:56 PM
Feb 2021
mrjdko said:

yess it's soo good!
Apr 9, 2022 6:10 PM
Feb 2021
I love the manga and now finally seeing it in anime it feels so good. Shikimori san is just too kawai!
Apr 9, 2022 6:27 PM

Aug 2018
It was very good. This anime was one of the most awaited and I was curious, and I liked the 1st chapter quite a lot. They make a nice couple Izumi and Shikimori.
And yes, Shikimori is beautiful!! <3. The opening and ending are really good.
Apr 9, 2022 6:32 PM

Jun 2021
Yep. Shikimori's wife material. She's exactly what the community was anticipating. This is gonna be a good show. Lads, get you a girl like that.
Apr 9, 2022 6:45 PM

Aug 2019
Yeh really liked that first episode. Kinda got the gist of the plot this episode alone but never the less i enjoyed what i saw.

Side characters actually seem likeable and bearable, character designs are unique especially the eyes. The intro hints at a lot of background plot for characters which im looking forward to. The intro is catchy and i love how the outro animation is in the form of a music BPM game.

Overall looking forward to watching the rest release this season.
Apr 9, 2022 6:48 PM
Aug 2021
been a while since i commented a rating of an anime but not gonna lie, kinda disappointed. the animation is fluid although im not a big fan of the color scheme. but i do have a problem with the pacing and the over all writing of the story. i hope the anime gets more interesting as it progresses

tension is absolutely key when it comes to any good story. this anime kinda kills it to no fault of its own. with most romances, an easy way of building up tension is by making a will they wont they situation, but because theyre already, there is nothing of the sort. there was one disney xd show called milo murphy's law (a show i doubt anyone has watched) and it was about a kid who similarly was very unlucky. chaos always unfolded wherever he went. but he nothing actually happens to him or the people around him, he always survives and comes out unscathed so you always feel like everything you watched was pointless. the show was a complete flop, and i feel the same thing would happen to this one. nothing comes of all the unluckiness.

another issue is the characters, the main character dull and has no personality of his own, and the fact that shikimori doesnt have a consistent personality isnt helping. after watching this, im still not sure what kind of person she is. plus they have no chemistry, the only thing they talk about or have in common is each other. they seem like they have no reason to actually date each other. my dress up darling for example developed a reason for the characters to like each other. they have a common interest and actual chemistry, this show on the other hand, feels almost dull.
Apr 9, 2022 6:54 PM
Oct 2020
Shikimori is literally just this dudes Mikasa Ackerman lmao
Apr 9, 2022 6:57 PM

Mar 2013
Great episode! This story is what I really need!
A cool beautiful girl and a dense but thoughtful and caring guy. Their charismatic relationship is really inspiring. The opening theme song already give a summary of Shikimori's past life which was kinda a spoiler but I don't mind it. Both OP and ED are great. Their voices are wonderful, especially the supporting ones. Nice visual and character design~ I can't get enough of this!
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Apr 9, 2022 7:00 PM
Dec 2016
Somehow I am already obsessed with hachimitsu. Her entire vide and voice and everything is like perfectly designed to draw me in. And when she bowled that shot and the guy was like so slow I immedielty said to myself “you just wait, that’s a tried and true technique”
Apr 9, 2022 7:28 PM

Sep 2009
I dig the OP, it’s fun and energetic. So far I dig it, I’m willing to give it a chance. So far the characters seem pretty cool too
Apr 9, 2022 7:31 PM

May 2021
out of the 5 anime i'm watching this season i anticipate this to be my 5th place but only because of how much i like the other shows
i did in fact really like this first episode and can’t wait for the wholesomeness to continue, i’ll definitely be seeing this one through to the end
shikimori is the obvious standout character for me but i am sensing i'll warm up to everyone else as the series continues
Apr 9, 2022 7:40 PM

Sep 2018
Doga Koba, didn't expect tbh. Weird premise, even if I found the pilot episode pretty entertaining. I just wonder who exactly is the most targeted audience here?

Lonely, masochist male type? I think so... I wonder if any females are self inserting as well.

Anyway, long pink hair gives me that Happy Sugar Life vibe lol, can't get it out of my head.
GakutoDeathGlareApr 9, 2022 7:44 PM
Apr 9, 2022 7:43 PM

Jun 2019
I couldn’t even finish the episode. Shameless wish fulfillment played entirely serious. Attrocious eyes too. Completely unbearable to watch.
Apr 9, 2022 7:48 PM

May 2020
Looks like a pretty fun and chill romance anime and I'm relly liking it so far
shikimori is hella cute but I think Marin is still best girl of the year

Apr 9, 2022 7:53 PM

Oct 2016
Gotta say I didn't really "get" this one. Felt extremely standard actually, which is a bad sign in a season as loaded as this. I think I understood what they were going for for each character, but I didn't like the execution.

Each character felt very safe in how they were written, nothing really cool or interesting about any of them. Were they this muted in the manga? Seems weird for such a highly-regarded manga to be so lacking in interesting or enjoyable characters. I guess I can see the appeal of this premise, but I think this one just wasn't for me.
Trying out (almost) every anime that airs each season since 2018.
Apr 9, 2022 8:00 PM

Jun 2020
If you can't choose from a cute or a cool girlfriend well Izumi's in luck why not take both, The OP looks bright and fits the anime for its blooming visuals

Shikimori really does look cool and cute at the same time how, And a chill Bakugo is unusual but interesting to see him in a cool manner

My boy Izumi really is taking L's left and right even dodging death or let me rephrase that Shikimori protecting Izumi instead, Why just why does the bowling episode have to come at this time not that I remember any references to bowling like a gif or whatnot.

Apr 9, 2022 8:23 PM
Oct 2019
Another Cute show from Doga Kobo.

bro she just Dropkick a freaking Neon Box. lmao

The two Main Characters are so similar to Nasa and Tsukasa from Tonikaku Kawaii.
Shikimori definitely candidate for Best Girl of Spring 2022.

Bakugo Seiyuu "Nobuhiko Okamoto" really just voicing another Bakugo in here.

Apr 9, 2022 8:31 PM
Aug 2021
All of the characters and their interactions felt very bland and all of the moe moments were super uncalled for. Everything felt forced and dry
Apr 9, 2022 8:39 PM
Dec 2021
Okay tell me something does this guy grow a pair in future or he always stays like a WIMP🤔
Apr 9, 2022 8:40 PM
Aug 2021
vukkco said:
mrjdko said:

yess it's soo good!

I agree, my 4th most anticipated show behind spy x family, kaguya, and komi cant communicate didn’t disappoint me with its first episode.
Apr 9, 2022 9:05 PM

Feb 2020
I'm confused. Those big metal signs they have on businesses weigh a ton. how the heck did she kick it without shattering her leg? When he was about to ask her about it she quickly changed the subject. A little suspicious if you ask me. Overall I think this anime will be really good tho really looking forward to it. Especially since they start out as a couple, no needless and endless progression episodes to a dead-end relationship.

Apr 9, 2022 9:26 PM

Feb 2021
Here it is. Another anime adaptation of a manga I dropped after a few chapters. First impression, a very Doga Kobo anime; has that Gabriel Dropout feel to it. The eyes are WEIRD. I'm sorry, but they are way too different than how they are in the manga and not in a good way. Our main character is very meek and hopeless, as he should be in this premise. Not my type, but I'm all for a 'unique' main character every now and then. Side characters are annoying, and they clearly are tropes of the energetic and calm girls.

I'm sure there's no 'coherent plot' but as long as it doesn't bore me then it's fine.
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Apr 9, 2022 9:35 PM
Aug 2018
I didn't understand anything about the plot, I didn't like her hair color very much either, it works with to love ru but not much here.
I'll still watch it.
Apr 9, 2022 9:41 PM

Mar 2010
Hmmm. Not sure if I will continue. Shikimori is a ninja :0
Apr 9, 2022 9:46 PM

Sep 2011
I wonder if they will show how they start dating. Like how and/or why Shikimori accepted Izumi's confession... or maybe if it was vice versa.

Apr 9, 2022 9:50 PM

Mar 2012
Having a stopwatch until Izumi's first display of his misfortune, please T_T the character design and colours for our main couple are very vibrant. When I was watching the scene of Izumi's dusting off the chalk dust from Shikomori's head, I realized that I am anticipating a series of them being lovey-dovey and being whipped for each other lol. I am interested to know how they met and how they became a couple.

I really like the visual aspect of the OP and ED too. As I was too caught up with this aspect I'll have to re-listen to appreciate the music itself aha ^^;;
Apr 9, 2022 9:50 PM
Feb 2018
Boring first episode, I don't get the hype. I will give 3 episodes to see if it improves
Apr 9, 2022 9:51 PM
Apr 2022
Kind of ass first episode ngl.

Show is pure Waifu bait, MC is dull and already unbareable. No attempt at being funny, wholesome or dramatic, just 'let's pan to our heroine looking cool' and hope people simp enough to enjoy it. Really disappointing.
Apr 9, 2022 9:58 PM
Jul 2021
I didn't follow the manga at all and have only watched the first episode of the anime. I personally think for this first episode it had nothing going on in the plot. Just you getting along with the characters through their days and that's it. I'm sad to say the only thing unusual for me to be able to enjoy the show is to watch this in 1.25x-1.5x speed. it's weird because i mostly enjoy doga kobo's work (Mikakunin,Plastic memo,Umaru,Nozaki-kun,new game,gabriel dropout) and didnt need to watch them sped up like this series.
Apr 9, 2022 10:05 PM
Feb 2019
I’ll continue this series if it’s explained how he has unrealistically coincidental bad luck and if it’s explained how she can bowl a 300 and karate kick and flying sign
Apr 9, 2022 10:08 PM

Jun 2015
Out of all the anime of this season, this is definitely one of them.

This reminded me of Sakamoto Desu Ga, a show that I didn't like, except without the comedy, which was the only thing it had going for it. That is to say, this wasn't good.

I can't wait for the next episode. So I can confirm it's really this bad and just drop it.

Monzzy said:
I didn't follow the manga at all and have only watched the first episode of the anime. I personally think for this first episode it had nothing going on in the plot. Just you getting along with the characters through their days and that's it. I'm sad to say the only thing unusual for me to be able to enjoy the show is to watch this in 1.25x-1.5x speed. it's weird because i mostly enjoy doga kobo's work (Mikakunin,Plastic memo,Umaru,Nozaki-kun,new game,gabriel dropout) and didnt need to watch them sped up like this series.

Oh, so those shows were all from the same company as this? That's enlightening, cause they all gave me the same impression as this episode: A whole bunch of nothing. I hated them all.
AnotherGuyApr 9, 2022 10:12 PM
Apr 9, 2022 10:09 PM
Dec 2021
the anime is a absoute banger
Apr 9, 2022 10:22 PM
Aug 2019
That was so cute, definitely gonna be one of my favorites of the season, and the opening was super nice, both the song and the visuals too! Also, Izumi is super adorable lol. I like him!
Apr 9, 2022 10:35 PM

Jan 2020
Shikimori is best waifu of the season. Art/Animation and the OP/ED were beautiful as well which is always a bonus.

A cute first episode

Apr 9, 2022 10:35 PM

Mar 2020
It was a good first episode.

Shikimori-san not just kawaii, kakkoi too.

Looking forward about her past as seeing in the OP.
Oppai check!

111 cm: Hancock
110 cm: Zoro
100 cm: Robin
Apr 9, 2022 10:44 PM
Jun 2017
Them blurry eyes bothering me more than they should
Apr 9, 2022 11:30 PM
Mar 2021
I liked it just what I wanted from it already liking the characters
Apr 9, 2022 11:32 PM
Dec 2021
Un pibe tocado por la ley de Murphy, una chica con tintes de perfección y los amigos que agregan una buena fórmula cómica. Está muy bueno.
Apr 9, 2022 11:47 PM

Dec 2020
Why is main girl with that unlucky guy
I liked the episode 3.5/5
Apr 9, 2022 11:52 PM
Jul 2018
Solid first episode where the characters are introduced
I wanted some plot to begin but it's really so far just showing the interactions between yuu and micchon and how the latter always saves the former.
This entire episode is about the girl which is nice and all but hopefully we get more of a background on why izumi is so unlucky in coming episodes
4/5 still a solid introduction to a hopefully great series
Apr 9, 2022 11:59 PM

May 2021
To be honest I only started this anime because I liked the art style and character designs and I wasn't entirely won over in the first few minutes, but that opening. That opening gave off such interesting energy and made me more intrigued about the rest of the show. As opposed to some shows it seems deeper than what it shows off at first glance. For sure going to keep watching this into the season.

I'm an anime-only so this is just my take on my initial viewing.
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 14, 2022

152 by jairo3634 »»
May 9, 1:19 PM

Poll: » Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 2, 2022

107 by ad0rablegoat »»
Apr 19, 4:34 PM

Poll: » Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 9, 2022

223 by Treyv0n »»
Mar 31, 3:49 PM

Poll: » Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 25, 2022

116 by Treyv0n »»
Mar 30, 1:03 PM

Poll: » Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 18, 2022

98 by Treyv0n »»
Mar 30, 11:58 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.