Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Feb 2, 2010 5:45 AM

Dec 2008
Desirio said:
Wow. Ok.

Nice talking to you.

Yeah, he's not much one for words, is he?

Maybe he should only post in grunts and images from now on.

Speaking of which.

Shimy said:
So anyways about boob missles...

Feb 2, 2010 5:56 AM

Mar 2009
we were getting nowhere, so no point .. I acknowledge that the story was worse then in the series, but for me - the ending made up for that (especially since I basically NEVER expect movies to reach original level in any form or way .. I generally don't watch summary movies) .. ofc having both would've been the best and perhaps better then the series themselves, but I cannot see that happening within a 2-hour frame .. maybe there should've been one more movie

if the ending was on the level of the first movie, I would've given a 9/10 .. but this was simply far too good for a 9

that is all
Feb 2, 2010 6:46 AM

Apr 2009
antitype said:

I actually liked the boob missiles, I love references to old stuff!

Unfortunately, I did not like that "let's give one mecha each again" thing. It felt misplaced: it's like they wanted to add infinite on top of infinite, which is fine in TTGL, but they did it "just to", in a fanservice way. It was awkward. On top of that, the "Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann" combination was THE top: having them split and then re-combine into a "SUPER Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann" was, imho, stupid. Way to break the climax!
Anyway, to what end? To close the fight in a very similar manner to the TV, except for the fist fight that was absolutely out of character for Simon. Let me say this: Simon is not Kamina. The anime already had some problem here, merging more and more the characters of Simon and Kamina as far as the series proceeds, but here they nearly become the same.
This changes Simon's growth path to a fairly big extent: Simon was one of the pillars of the original TV series, and changing his character changes a lot of the original simbolism, decreasing the overall value of the final product.

tl;dr: the final fist fight was out of the "Simon the Digger" character.
Feb 2, 2010 7:01 AM

Dec 2008
Desirio said:
tl;dr: the final fist fight was out of the "Simon the Digger" character.

Cool as it was, gonna have to agree.

I also thought that having his own fist become a drill was a bit lame.
Feb 2, 2010 8:54 AM

Apr 2009
I came.
if we die we'll meet again in valhalla...
Feb 2, 2010 11:38 AM
Sep 2009
lol watching a recap movie of a show that was ridiculous and outrageous and expecting something serious and critiquing it so seriously and harshly. It's anime guys, if you want a serious medium you're looking in the wrong place. Not to say it can't be done, but really? Some of you expected a lot more than what you got, especially out of something like this.
Feb 2, 2010 11:45 AM

Dec 2008
Some of you expected a lot more than what you got

Thanks, Captain Obvious.

Don't try to turn this into some retarded "it's only anime" discussion.

It also wasn't purely a recap, so...

Way to entirely fail.
Feb 2, 2010 11:48 AM
Sep 2009
antitype said:
Way to entirely fail.

o ok bby ;3c
Feb 2, 2010 3:22 PM

Apr 2009
It's crazy how there are tons of people discussing something like Ookami Kakushi or Omamori Himari, and here with a GOOD piece (yes, let me reiterate, this movie is good) we can't put up any criticism.

We could discuss months about what a "serious medium" is, but I'll just say this: I like anime, and because of that I like discussing about them too. That's enough for me to come here and criticize (or praise, depending on my perceived quality of the specific subject) with other people who share my interest.
Feb 2, 2010 3:52 PM
Sep 2009
whatever floats your internet boat gurl
Feb 2, 2010 4:40 PM

Dec 2008
Basically you have nothing worth saying, yet you keep posting.
Feb 2, 2010 6:46 PM

Jan 2010
xNovice said:
lol watching a recap movie of a show that was ridiculous and outrageous and expecting something serious and critiquing it so seriously and harshly. It's anime guys, if you want a serious medium you're looking in the wrong place. Not to say it can't be done, but really? Some of you expected a lot more than what you got, especially out of something like this.

Serious medium or not, we can still discuss it critically and if that doesn't float your boat you don't have to participate.

antitype said:

Shimy said:
So anyways about boob missles...

Nice.
Feb 2, 2010 6:49 PM

Jul 2009
When they animate a full recap, people will complain about the fact that there's nothing new in it. When they include new animation and change a few elements, people will complain about how it's different of the original. Face it, some guys will always find something to rant about.
Feb 2, 2010 8:55 PM

Aug 2007

In conclusion, the TTGL movie was nothing but a needless Needless knockoff.
Feb 2, 2010 9:18 PM
Mar 2008
In the end this movie is just epic and that's all we need to say about this.
Feb 3, 2010 12:05 AM

Apr 2009
lol, I'm out.
Feb 3, 2010 1:08 AM

Apr 2008
Holy crap that was brick shitting awesome~
Feb 3, 2010 10:38 AM
Sep 2009
antitype said:

Yep, I should pursue you angrily and defend my opinion to the death, right?
Feb 3, 2010 10:43 AM

Aug 2009
xNovice said:
antitype said:

Yep, I should pursue you angrily and defend my opinion to the death, right?

Yes you should, then post on youtube =)
Sig deleted for being too large.
Feb 3, 2010 5:19 PM

Oct 2009
anyone else think the part where
was a designed to look like the end of evangelion?

It's been a while since I've seen the end of eva, but I'm sure that's what it looks like. The red cross and all.
Feb 4, 2010 5:01 AM

Jun 2009
WOAH
AND I THOUGHT TENGEN TOPPA GURREN LAGANN WAS HUGE.

FUKKEN
EPIC

I loved it overall, but seriously, the music could've used some more work. It's the same Iwasaki Taku awesomeness, but a lot of the scenes felt a lot less nerve-wracking because of the music either being slightly out of place (compared to the original series) or not there at all.

Oh, and this movie just ended every power level discussion out there.
RibeyrollesFeb 4, 2010 5:05 AM
Feb 4, 2010 11:22 AM

May 2008
To much epic win.. I really enjoyed the movie. Beatiful fight, awesome blood...
Feb 4, 2010 1:33 PM

Feb 2009
Sweet jesus that was amazing!! ZOMGLOLWTFBBQOVERPOWEREDGARNESS!!!!
Tears were shed, bricks were shat, goosebumps were gotten, the GARness was undescribable.

Now that that is out of my system, I gotta say that this movie was awesome in the aspect of a complement to the tv series. Knowing the entire story and all background build up that was cut out is almost a must have. Given that I have watched the tv series this ended up being completely mindblowing, and might damn well be one of the best things I have ever seen. Though I believe that you won't appreciate it as much if you only watch these movies. Therefore I gave this 9/10 as a whole, and for the final fight the scale actually got blown to the other side of the time-space continuum making it impossible to post.
Pantyshots are a different matter entirely

Feb 4, 2010 3:50 PM
Dec 2007
I don't really understand why, instead of condensing the movie into something better, they placed a lot of filler scenes that dragged on the rythm of the feature. Maybe the original material was too perfect for GAINAX to be able to change anything and make it better.

It was a great movie, but clearly not as awesome as the third part of the series, even if the Nia diary writing and some parts of the final fight (especially the renewed animation !) were a nice addition.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Feb 4, 2010 7:49 PM

Aug 2008
Lord Genome hacking scene ftw.
Feb 5, 2010 7:07 AM
Jul 2018
I normally don't like Gurren Lagann, but I love this film along with the first film. The final battle in this film beats the one in the series in the scale of awesomeness and gar.

I admit it, I shed manly tears.

Where do I begin with that battle. They fused into a giant Kamina spiral energy being. Nia had her own gunman. Yoko's gunmans boob missles. The movie was explosive. I also finally see what everyone sees in Kamina. He truly is the most manliest man in the universe.
Feb 5, 2010 7:05 PM

Aug 2009
TEARS.

I liked how Lord genome became a comical relief of this movie. *LAAGENGAN, ORRR VO ROOOOO DUUUUU YAAAAAAAAA*
Feb 6, 2010 2:15 PM

Dec 2008
Freaking awesome! 2 hours of epic.
Feb 7, 2010 2:59 AM

Apr 2009
Fucking. Epic. Manly tears were shed! ç__ç
It made me remember why I liked TTGL so much and even redefined "epic"

ps: the part where they start losing the clothes was unexpected BUT FUCKING EPIC!!

EDIT: Lord Genome hacking scene ftw. [2]
Feb 7, 2010 4:47 AM

Jul 2008
Surprised so many people like this. The movie has a lot of flaws.
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Feb 7, 2010 6:49 AM

Dec 2008
Touka said:
Surprised so many people like this. The movie has a lot of flaws.

It's called fandumb.
Feb 7, 2010 8:18 AM
Mar 2008
It's called "this is a remake that aims to everyone who had already watched the series, therefore you don't need to make a perfect development of each character since you should already know them before watching the movie. So, just enjoy it and if you feel like you've watched something godly, then it's fantastic.".
Feb 7, 2010 8:19 AM

Dec 2008
antitype said:
It's called fandumb.
Feb 7, 2010 11:10 AM

Apr 2009
Awesome. I guess there was less total deaths than in the tv series. I noticed they didn't bother putting in Boota's human-ish self in. Enjoyed the additional epilogue for Simon.

Feb 7, 2010 5:35 PM

Jul 2008
KING KITTAN GIGA DRILL BREAKER!!!!!
i took a look in the dictionary for the word Epic and it said see also "Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann"
Feb 7, 2010 11:45 PM

Jul 2007
lol TTGL turned into Dr. Manhattan.

Despite cutting out the glory of Ep. 15 sans the end of it, cutting the Rossiu quarter down to 45 minutes, no grand battle upon entering closed space, and pretty much overextending the final battle to the point that everything original that looked like it would turn out awesome ended up just being drawn-out, I still give it an 8.

If I was only judging what they added to it, I'd give it a 5. Felt like masturbation rather than execution.
SplitterFeb 8, 2010 12:13 AM
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Feb 8, 2010 2:54 AM
Mar 2009
If I were to give this movie a score based on the first 1:30 minutes, I'd probably give it an 8. But that finale was truly something amazing, I loved the new animation and everything they did with those last 30 minutes. With this I can truly say that TTGL will probably go down in history along with these movies as one of the best anime of all time.
Feb 8, 2010 8:28 PM

Apr 2009
Wow, and I thought the original TTGL was as over the top as an anime could go, but I stand harshly corrected. Sure Lagann-hen made even less sense than the original, with gaping scientific flaws that would make Stephen Hawking commit suicide if he saw it, but it was entertaining as all hell and was a nice reminder to why I loved TTGL in the first place.

Feb 9, 2010 1:06 AM

May 2009
it was superb!!! in the anime series ep.27.. i always thought of having all gurren lagann (from tengen toppa to lagann) perform a giga drill break one by one

one thing that surprises me most is the final battle with the anti-spirals, tengen toppa broke in in to pieces and each one became a tengen toppa gunmen, the moment they gatai from the help of Lordgenome.. was that a kamina like spiral energy?

the movie exceeded my expectation ever since I watched gurren-hen 1 year ago.. well done 10/10!!!

Feb 9, 2010 1:21 AM

Apr 2008
It was good and all, really fun to relive the epicness of TTGL... but why is this the 10th highest rated anime on the site?

It was good, but not /that/ good...
Feb 9, 2010 5:54 PM

Jun 2009
I have to agree with those who pointed out the flaws.(AKA antitype and etc)

Don't get me wrong. It was good. Possibly the best recap movie ever made. But there are some serious flaws here. Some things were better done in the movie(Kittan's last moments, jail cell parts, Simons digging up water after the battle) and others the series did a better job of(Rossiu's suicide attempt, the deaths of team gurren and a few others that come to mind)
I am guessing that if someone didn't see the series first they might be a little lost on Lagann-hen. Also while the last fight was pretty damn epic it went a bit to far into the lines of stupidity. I felt the fist fight was a bit unnecessary and out of place, Some pretty obvious fan service, and without the buildup that the series provided this massive finale is missing the key element, that needed spark. The series finale made me shout "F*CK YEAH!" but this only managed a "cool".

I can only give it a 8/10. One because I felt it got a bit too stupid. Two, I can't really give this a high mark when it has the exact same story as the series(Plus a few extra scenes)

"I always take life with a grain of salt, ...plus a slice of lemon, ...and a shot of tequila."

Feb 9, 2010 6:29 PM

Sep 2008
waterfall said:
It was good and all, really fun to relive the epicness of TTGL... but why is this the 10th highest rated anime on the site?

Yeah, it's not THAT good, it's even better. Should be #1 actually.
Feb 9, 2010 6:57 PM

Aug 2009
waterfall said:

Because ttgl is fuckin epic, and this one was replica of that epic series. Thus, high rating.
Feb 9, 2010 7:16 PM

Dec 2008
Except it's not a "replica" of it. It's a recap with lots of content omitted or changed for the worse.
Feb 9, 2010 7:46 PM

Aug 2009
antitype said:
Except it's not a "replica" of it. It's a recap with lots of content omitted or changed for the worse.

Sadly, I have to admit. That nude scene was awkward.

It tried to make it epic, but ended up making it less emotional than original series, which is the part I most liked.

However, I also have to admit, that I'm watching this movie about 15 times now... ;_; fanboism is hard to get out of.
Feb 9, 2010 8:09 PM

Dec 2008
I mean, how many people are overlooking how they made it look like Anti-Spiral was

Everybody who has posted in this thread, as far as I can tell. I'll bet some of them even noticed and enjoyed it. It's the worst kind of fanservice imaginable, especially because they threw it in there so ambiguously. That right there knocked it down a solid point all by itself, for me. Honestly, with everything else they fucked up, in retrospect, I'll probably end up lowering my final score for this one.

I love the TV series, but this is nothing but stupid gratification for fans. That's not a good thing, kiddos.
Feb 10, 2010 12:03 AM

Sep 2008
antitype said:
I mean, how many people are overlooking how they made it look like Anti-Spiral was

Everybody who has posted in this thread, as far as I can tell. I'll bet some of them even noticed and enjoyed it. It's the worst kind of fanservice imaginable, especially because they threw it in there so ambiguously. That right there knocked it down a solid point all by itself, for me. Honestly, with everything else they fucked up, in retrospect, I'll probably end up lowering my final score for this one.

I love the TV series, but this is nothing but stupid gratification for fans. That's not a good thing, kiddos.
Maybe you just have a sick mind and that's all it looked like to you.
Feb 10, 2010 3:02 AM

Jun 2009
5layer said:
antitype said:

Maybe you just have a sick mind and that's all it looked like to you.

No, I kind of got that feeling as well. In fact why was Nia nude? Before she was in her anti-spiral form so why did they change it to being nude? That's just fan service.

"I always take life with a grain of salt, ...plus a slice of lemon, ...and a shot of tequila."

Feb 10, 2010 2:14 PM

Jun 2009
Oh, geez. The only part in this movie that was better than the original was the final battle (I still wish that the part where the gauge that measures your Spiral Power was shattered through) and a few others. The levels of epic had been increased, but the emotional parts and some others felt weaker. The music, goddamnit.
Feb 11, 2010 11:05 AM

Jan 2009
waterfall said:

code geass R2 are in 4th place. After this, any anime cannot be called "overrated" or "high raking for this" and etc.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Does [spoiler] die in this movie?

RedSkittleFox - Mar 30, 2019

3 by ChiefGamer »»
Jan 20, 9:16 AM

» How do I watch this?

kelcollin - Jun 22, 2021

2 by gmadhava »»
Jul 22, 2021 3:13 AM

» Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann: Lagann-Hen worth watching?

Zaldun - Jun 11, 2016

6 by Barad5 »»
Nov 1, 2020 10:51 AM

» Huge spoiler in the synopsis

Yngvi - Apr 14, 2016

2 by who_dat_ninja »»
Nov 8, 2016 3:18 PM

» Added scenes (also, spoilers in the synopsis)

dextronaut - Mar 12, 2013

1 by EratiK »»
Oct 5, 2013 9:45 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.