Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 2, 2020 4:37 AM

Dec 2016
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This one-shot is 4 minutes long (with end credits).

Well this felt more like trailer for anime or demo reel then actual anime but in the same time they never advertised this as more than experimental short.
Also I don't have 4k TV so that's that.

What about positives? I definitely appreciate effort to make 4K HDR anime because I can imagine this wasn't easy task and overall animation looked nice, if only there was more story to add context to what is happening.

My score for this "episode" 3/5 - Like I said earlier I don't have 4k TV so I couldn't appreciate animation to the fullest, so without a plot the only thing I can rate is animation (and its fluidity), art style (which was not bad but nothing special) and music (which was forgettable).
Even right now I have hard time to remember more than a few scenes. So I can easily imagine that in a few days I will completely forget about this anime.
Like Jeremy Jahns would said "T-minus 1 Day, already forgotten"

Overall score for Sol Levante 7/10 - Mainly for effort.

Now I wonder if this is limit for hand-drawn animation like actual anime in this quality would be too expensive. If yes, then only future for anime will be CGI... but good CGI, like Pixar/Disney level of CGI.
Nieznajomy43Apr 2, 2020 5:45 AM
Manga recommendation:
- Spy x Family (Ch.98/? - biweekly) | Sakamoto Days (Ch.166/? - weekly)
- MARRIAGETOXIN (Ch.88/? - weekly)
- Make the Exorcist Fall in Love (Ch.65/? - biweekly)
- You and I Are Polar Opposites (Ch.54/? - biweekly)
Anime recommendation:
- Deca-Dence (Finished) | Wave, Listen to Me! (Finished)
- If My Favorite Pop Idol Made It to the Budokan, I Would Die (Finished)
- Diary of Our Days at the Breakwater (Finished)
Apr 2, 2020 6:43 AM

May 2008
Nice demo, but that's all it was. No substance.
Apr 2, 2020 7:04 AM
Jan 2017
Eh. That was very meh.
Apr 2, 2020 8:16 AM
Jul 2009
Watched this on 4k tv with hdr and oh yeah, the visuals are great. But other than that, meh.
Apr 2, 2020 8:49 AM
Sep 2016
Maybe we'll see something better by this group but as a demo, it's fine I guess?
It really do be like that though.

Apr 2, 2020 10:40 AM

Sep 2017
These kind of experimental anime are always welcome.

Apr 2, 2020 8:02 PM

Feb 2016
Don't understand the reviews and what people are expecting from this kind of shorts.

''Visual are great but other thant that...'' It's obvious... Visual is the only purpose of this short, and it should be praised.
Apr 2, 2020 8:47 PM

Feb 2018
Visuals were awful imho.
Maybe it because I don't have a 4K HDR monitor in my home, but this looks like a trailer for a random Chinese game from 200x, especially the character design - Barbie doll looks better than this.
Apr 3, 2020 4:01 AM

Feb 2017
It looked amazing on my 4k TV. And yeah, what were people expecting? This was advertised as a short experimental work that was obviously meant to try and test new technologies that was never used in anime production before.

These 3 minutes alone took 2 years to make. Staff had to figure out stuff out along the way and overcome a lot of challenges. It's okay if it didn't turn out perfect in the first ever try. Next tries will be only better.

They even made project open source so other people in the industry can learn from their mistakes and successes and make future projects like this only better.

There's a good article about the short's production that is well worth a read:
https://netflixtechblog.com/bringing-4k-and-hdr-to-anime-at-netflix-with-sol-levante-fa68105067cd?gi=58598af06e79

These experimental works are something we need a lot more and are always welcome as they are ultimately the ones that push any kind of industry forward.

Apr 3, 2020 5:44 AM

Jul 2017
From the beginning they said it would be a 5-minute experimental anime, I don't know why people expected some history in this...
~~
Apr 3, 2020 8:57 AM

Nov 2010
Animation has existed for 100 years. Whenever someone talks about "experimental animation" at this point, it usually just means "bad animation", and that is very much the case here. They can use all the pixels they want and fill the screen with all sorts of computer generated special effects, but what's the point if they can't make a decent running cycle for the main character, or even natural arm movements?
Apr 3, 2020 4:39 PM
Mar 2019
Well, that was a waste of time, both for the people who worked on this thing and for the people who watched it.
Even though I can see the effort put in this project, it wasn't visually appealing imho. The action bits, with monsters for example, had great animation, but the main character's movements were like a puppet's, it was really disturbing and it looked like some strange ad for a chinese/korean mobile game.
RicoolApr 3, 2020 4:47 PM
Apr 3, 2020 9:16 PM
Oct 2019
neireatwing said:
Visuals were awful imho.
Maybe it because I don't have a 4K HDR monitor in my home, but this looks like a trailer for a random Chinese game from 200x, especially the character design - Barbie doll looks better than this.
yeah that's definitely because you don't have a 4K TV cuz if you had a 4K TV you would be praising how beautiful the visuals were.
Apr 3, 2020 10:21 PM
Jan 2010
I watched it... and I have no idea what I just watched...

1. She got attacked
2. Fly in the sky
3. Got hit
4. Bird saved her
5. Fell into the water

The end.... W.H.A.T?!
Apr 3, 2020 10:57 PM

May 2019
Honestly, I found this kinda too realistic, and because of that this beautiful piece of shit remains okay...ish (judging the face, all the scenes were great). However, I think the big takeaway is this was animated, I don't know how the fuck they made this but its pretty impressive. In my eyes if this is the future for anime, that would be cool, just don't animate it to the point that it looks too realistic.

I don't know why everyone's shitting on this, it was obviously an experiment to better the animation in anime.

Apr 4, 2020 12:44 AM

Sep 2016
Reminds me of vr games when vr originally came out. Big claims but at the end of the day they were just blocky tech demos of what couldn’t even be considered alpha versions of games. The drawing/ semi 3-D/2D animation was a major failing point in my opinion. Netflix and the producers had sooo much room to make something big and good in 4k but instead we got this monstrosity of an amalgamation of failed ideas. At least that’s how I see it.
Apr 4, 2020 12:45 AM

Sep 2016
Net5aber said:
neireatwing said:
Visuals were awful imho.
yeah that's definitely because you don't have a 4K TV cuz if you had a 4K TV you would be praising how beautiful the visuals were.
I have a 4k tv and I don’t see what you’re talking about lmao. It really looked like a trailer for some old Chinese game lmao.
Apr 4, 2020 12:53 AM
Jul 2016
soooo, was this it or what? I don't really have any context on this
Apr 4, 2020 8:42 AM

Feb 2010
gorgeous visuals they should make anime like this kind of reminded me of shingeki no bahamut
Apr 6, 2020 12:52 AM

Mar 2014
There's no point in watching this if you don't have a HDR display.

That being said, it looks stunning. The animation looks like Flash sometimes, but it's not the point of this film to show fluid animation, but to show what can be done in HDR.
Apr 8, 2020 11:31 AM
May 2014
Your opinion is invalid if you scored this higher than a 1.
Apr 8, 2020 2:01 PM

Jan 2018
looks nice, sadly I only have a 720p screen on my toaster I bet it looks stunning on a 4k tv
Apr 10, 2020 4:41 PM

May 2012
For what it was it was rather cool, 4K, HDR, and Dolby Vision Atmos that sure was impressive if you have the right equipment which luckily I do and it was absolutely stunning on a 4k Oled TV with A 5.1.4 sound setup!

Pretty solid experiment and action wise it was really damn intense, visually it was stunning and the sound was picture perfect!

So even though it's only like 4 minutes it's a concept that might revolutionair anime ho we know it!
Apr 10, 2020 9:32 PM

Oct 2012
Looks good. Would make for a cool screen saver.
Apr 11, 2020 1:17 PM

Jul 2016
Guess people were too busy animating and advertising this short they forgot to create a story so that, these sequences of flashy scenes have some kind of coherence.

Overall, it was an average short if I'm honest. Visuals were nice but too saturated for my taste, the girl's movements while she was running were really awkward (especially her arms) and due to the lack of context between scenes, I didn't understand what the hell was happening at all. Basically, good animation but zero substance.
Apr 12, 2020 9:58 AM

May 2007
I'm going to give it a 4, this just felt like a trailer, and while it seemed intriguing, there is nothing there.
My anime list
Apr 12, 2020 10:37 AM

Oct 2017
Ehh so that was it? Well the visuals were great and that's about it.
Apr 12, 2020 1:16 PM

Dec 2014
ok like what did I watch....
Apr 15, 2020 2:46 PM
🐰KawaiiDaikaiju🐲

Nov 2017
That poor girl wuz havin’ a rough day, what with plant monsters, volcanoes and flying fish an’ all 😕
Was a very pretty day, but still... 😅
“SAITO! YOU NEED TO EXPLODE! FOR THE WORLD’S SAKE!”
Apr 15, 2020 6:35 PM
Nov 2019
I mean it’s just a demo so I can’t really judge it but the art style is unique
Apr 15, 2020 6:35 PM
Nov 2019
I mean it’s just a demo so I can’t really judge it but the art style is unique
Apr 18, 2020 10:21 PM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
Art style was alright; I didn’t think it was horrible.

The audio was nice; wish there was more to the story.
Apr 22, 2020 3:10 AM
Jun 2019
i like the girl's character design....maybe the soundtrack.....like 90% of this was CGI with 5 billion filters!?!?!?
Apr 24, 2020 8:51 PM
Aug 2018
For what it is, I still can only give this a 5/10 in good conscience, which is a shame because I think that betrays the technical and artistic beauty behind it. That part of it is really exquisite and exceptional, but to call it an 'anime' is pushing it for me. There was literally no story here - it was just things happen one after another and to be honest, even the music didn't really stand out to me. It really is just an animation demo.
There are short films that are about as long that still have a coherent plot, but this was just made to showcase actions and leave the viewer up to make up a story.
Which is fine I guess but not my preference. Would've preferred some kind of coherent narrative - even most anime trailers have better pacing than this did. I found myself thinking "uhhh ok I guess that is a thing that happened...? What did I just watch?"

Still the art & animation does look really cool so I hope this style is used in future projects.
Apr 26, 2020 10:07 AM

Apr 2020
I hope the future Netflix animes really be this good.

⬇ CLICK IT ⬇

⬆ CLICK IT ⬆
Jun 9, 2020 6:20 PM

Nov 2014
abyss_will said:
looks nice, sadly I only have a 720p screen on my toaster I bet it looks stunning on a 4k tv
not really, in fact nowhere near good to justify time wasted

Jul 12, 2020 10:18 AM
Jul 2018
What's with people rating this low saying how this has no story and no substance, lmao. The animation is literally the only thing that matters for this. Now, sure, I am not saying that the animation is really good or anything but wtf is up with people saying this has no story.
Jul 20, 2020 4:53 AM

Jan 2009
this uses Flash Animation no doubt with those smooth (automatic) in-between animation too and Adobe Flash uses Vector Graphics format so they can automatically upscale the resolution to any size so i think thats how they achieve 4K here

im impressed actually since vector graphics is not known for photorealistic details compared to raster graphics (pixel base images) but ye being vector graphics you still cannot escape looking like those flat art style or flat design

nice tech demo
Jul 21, 2020 7:20 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Yeah, thats a trailer. I give this a 6 with a high hopes for the real show with these technology.
badabassJul 21, 2020 7:24 AM
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jul 29, 2020 5:15 PM
a lil bean ✨

Feb 2011

If you have Netflix, just watch it there tho
https://www.netflix.com/title/81017017

HiScoreLoScoreAuction

Turn-InsAWCc

ᓚᘏᗢ

Aug 1, 2020 2:28 PM

Feb 2014
Eh, I thought this was gonna be a full series.
Aug 21, 2020 11:57 PM

Aug 2015
So the main draw was supposed to be the visuals, but it looks terrible. The animations often looked like those minimal graphics you put on game character load screens. You know the ones where you take a 2D image and just manipulate little parts? But at the same time it also looked like lifeless mediocre CGI. Truly an unfortunate mix.
Dec 29, 2020 6:47 PM
Oct 2018
Tsarko said:
It looked amazing on my 4k TV. And yeah, what were people expecting? This was advertised as a short experimental work that was obviously meant to try and test new technologies that was never used in anime production before.

These 3 minutes alone took 2 years to make. Staff had to figure out stuff out along the way and overcome a lot of challenges. It's okay if it didn't turn out perfect in the first ever try. Next tries will be only better.

They even made project open source so other people in the industry can learn from their mistakes and successes and make future projects like this only better.

There's a good article about the short's production that is well worth a read:
https://netflixtechblog.com/bringing-4k-and-hdr-to-anime-at-netflix-with-sol-levante-fa68105067cd?gi=58598af06e79

These experimental works are something we need a lot more and are always welcome as they are ultimately the ones that push any kind of industry forward.

>He worked really hard, Grandma.
>So do washing machines.

For example, Shaft made 3 outstanding Kizu movies in 1080p approximately in 5 years. And they look beautiful on 4k tv. For my taste better than this tech demo, in forms of art style, animation, colors, sound. It is not a tech demo per sé, it’s just a posh ad for Netflix to be relevant. And it’s okay, but definitely should not be praised automatically.
Jan 4, 2021 2:50 PM

Jul 2015
I didn't watch this in 4K but as far as I could see as experimental work it looks not the best but still good. Personally found the main character a bit too creepy looking especially with this kind of animation. The art of the fantasy world and creatures looked pretty cool.

Feb 1, 2021 2:03 AM

Sep 2012
4k flash animation. Awful for character and organic movement, kinda ok for particles and effects, if someone can't draw and needs some cgi alternative real bad. They could throw 16 or 32k at it wouldn't add much value. Hand-drawn my ***
Aug 20, 2021 6:10 PM
May 2019
not mfs giving some elaborate rating on this shit.

“no substance, very empty, I wanted more philosophical hoobla boobla to make me feel fulfilled but in a 4 minute time window”

shit was really pretty, I liked it
Anyways
Nov 4, 2021 5:44 PM
Sep 2017
I thought it was incredibly ugly.
Oct 18, 2022 5:04 PM

Jul 2012
Quite the great experiment, my computer actually overloaded with the master file I had on me encoded from certain sources.

When it detected the HDR+, it was absolutely mindblowing, and a color usage that I thought it would blind me from how bright and dynamic they were during action scenes lol

For what it is, an experiment with 4K HDR+ anime, this was amazing.

8/10
Dec 7, 2022 2:00 PM
Oct 2020
Bullshit, just shit, very very shit

Dec 19, 2022 3:23 PM
May 2022
I was thinking that this will get an anime or an ONA but no, this didn't get anything :(,

Ñ
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Did this get canceled?

S-H-I-N-Y - Jan 14, 2020

17 by VIKITACHIxd »»
Dec 19, 2022 3:14 PM

» So, its basically just a tech demo

chrisbj - Apr 4, 2020

4 by Darkdaxter »»
Apr 14, 2020 5:22 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.