Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jun 21, 2009 1:25 AM

Jul 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
- Start with Hoho-dream. Good job on keeping up the theme of Ed's dreams.
- Al blushing about "growing up" was LOL.
- Izumi introduction was LOL^2
- Izumi "cough scene" was LOL^10000.
- They included "the day he left" .. FRACK YES.
- LOL@ EYECATCH#2
- Izumi training flashback :3
- Post-flashback Izumi figuring stuff out was done great.
- Anime-original Izumi gate scene was great too.
- Hug scene, for me, was done a bit better than in manga.

Overall this was paced better than Ep2, purely because half of material was already covered in Ep2. While I DO miss some of the jokes they cut out, the ep overall flew really well and I am really happy with how it was handled. They managed to fit all important and emotional scenes and they felt right.

I am really happy that my guess is correct and they did use the Mother and "The Day he left flashbacks.

Anyway, next episode -
AhenshihaelJun 22, 2009 12:40 AM
Jun 21, 2009 1:32 AM

Jul 2008
Didn't dwell too much on anything and instead gave us some epic Izumi scenes. So, I'm pretty happy with this episode.

Also: CHESS SCENE NEXT EPISODE. *flails*
adamantineJun 21, 2009 1:48 AM

BEGINNER
Jun 21, 2009 2:09 AM

Jul 2007
adamantine said:

Also: CHESS SCENE NEXT EPISODE. *flails*

QFT
Jun 21, 2009 9:05 AM

Feb 2009
Very well done episode. It was more emotional than I was expecting (That's good).

Can't wait for next 2 episodes!
MateusFogacaJun 21, 2009 9:09 AM
Jun 21, 2009 1:39 PM

Sep 2008
i thought mason was not going to be mentioned at all from the episode, but he does make his appearance next episode, so thats fine then.

and finally greed. for some reason the drawing quality in the preview looks....downgraded for some reason. well, original manga content here we come.
Jun 21, 2009 1:53 PM

Feb 2008
Always love the comedy/drama mix in this anime. >.<
Jun 21, 2009 2:20 PM

Sep 2008
For some reason, I'm really happy that they condensed it all into one episode.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 21, 2009 2:27 PM

May 2007
I'm actually really happy with this episode. It turned out alot better than I expected, considering that I haven't really agreed with the pacing of the series so far. Definitely one of the best episodes at this point.
Jun 21, 2009 2:48 PM

Mar 2009
I wasn't really looking forward to this episode remembering it from FMA1, but I must say I really liked it :)

No silly Wrath nonsense (and I hope that will stay that way) and I was genuinly touched by Izumi's reaction after confronting the boys about them breaking the taboo.
Jun 21, 2009 2:53 PM

May 2007
Ah, I don't know. While I'm happy they condensed all of the past into one episode, I really didn't like the episode all that much. All of the events just seemed to be placed one after another without a smooth transition between them. It was like they were just showing one scene after another. While they were related, it just didn't gel properly...in my opinion anyway. Izumi's introduction should have been a bit longer than a small minute or so it was before they decided to cut to the Elric brothers' past.

But again, they condensed everything into one episode, so I guess that much is to be expected.

Paradox055 said:
No silly Wrath nonsense (and I hope that will stay that way)

Wrath being Izumi's child was anime-only content in the first season, so rest assured, that sub plot will not appear in Brotherhood.
Jun 21, 2009 2:57 PM

Jun 2008
I think this episode was the best so far, it was pretty well done.
Jun 21, 2009 2:57 PM
Jul 2018

I was expecting Mason showing up while they were on the island. =/
But it was a good episode. Finally Greed on the next.
I hope they stop condensing stuff now and the pacing gets a little slower.
Jun 21, 2009 3:33 PM

Feb 2009
Nice flashback episode. Next one, withe Greed, should be interesting.
Jun 21, 2009 3:42 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
De-JaY said:
Always love the comedy/drama mix in this anime. >.<
Same here. Another very enjoyable episode. Next week's seems like full of action.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jun 21, 2009 3:43 PM

May 2008
vindemon64 said:

Paradox055 said:

Wrath being Izumi's child was anime-only content in the first season, so rest assured, that sub plot will not appear in Brotherhood.

And by this we finally have serious difference between this and first series ^^

Jun 21, 2009 3:48 PM

Apr 2009
Ah yes another great episode. I always loved the relationship between the Eric brothers and Izumi. Getting to see her spar with is always epic!

Finally Greed is up and the manga content will begin to flow from where we last left off!!
Jun 21, 2009 4:27 PM

Dec 2008
Very enjoyable episode. I literally couldn't stop laughing for the first half of the episode because they kept on showing a comedic moment one after another XD omg I loved it. Izumi-sensei's blood splurts seemed much more humourous than I remembered...or maybe I just didn't really remember much from FMA1.

The episode felt shorter to me because I thought they did a very good job at integrating everything together from past to present. Everything just flowed nicely and then BAM before I knew it it was already the end of the episode.

The fighting scenes were so stunningly fluid, I was pretty amazed. I had to rewind and rewatch some parts because they were so fast and I was too busy trying to read the subs ><!

Hugging scene was very emotional, couldn't stop the tears :(

I'm looking forward to next episode, apparently this is where the "new" stuff, or the manga stuff starts showing up. For a non-manga reader - this is totally exciting :P!!

kaara-san said:
I couldn't stop laughing at Ed's reaction, I actually paused, rewinded, replayed, and then laughed some more XD.
robbydesuJun 21, 2009 4:33 PM
Jun 21, 2009 5:14 PM

Dec 2007
Pacing was amazing. Despite the fact that it covered more than the first series, I couldn't believe a full episode had transpired.

I have to say, this episode moves the series into a league above that of the original. I am utterly shocked at how well they are making this.
Jun 21, 2009 5:14 PM
May 2009
Nice episode.

They cut some of the bullshit that went on in the manga. Okay.
I dislike Izumi's voice. She sounds somewhere between a man and a woman. I think the producers were trying to make her sound tough but I believe it can be achieved while still having her have a feminine voice. Oh well.
The single one part about the flashbacks I didn't like was that they dropped the stubborn face Ed and Al had that made Izumi to take them as her students. This face comes back later and I think it shows so much about the Elrics personality that it's just too much to drop. I would scan the page from the manga if I had a scanner.

Does anyone think next episode's gonna have the new themes? If I'm not mistaken Greed isn't included in the current OP and right after the whole Greed thing they introduce Lin and Mei, who aren't in the OP.
Jun 21, 2009 5:20 PM

Jul 2008
FullMetalBoy said:

I dislike Izumi's voice. She sounds somewhere between a man and a woman. I think the producers were trying to make her sound tough but I believe it can be achieved while still having her have a feminine voice. Oh well.

Does anyone think next episode's gonna have the new themes? If I'm not mistaken Greed isn't included in the current OP and right after the whole Greed thing they introduce Lin and Mei, who aren't in the OP.
Yeah, I didn't really like Izumi's voice either. :|

I hope you're right about the OP switching. I'd love to see all the new characters featured in it.

BEGINNER
Jun 21, 2009 6:31 PM

Apr 2009
Great episode. I was sad that they cut some stuff out, but I kind of figured they'd have to, and everything ended up coming together really nicely. Love that they showed Hoho leaving, and all Izumi's scenes were great. They got the Briggs reference in there, hope this means we'll hear about it again later. ;)
Can't wait for Greed and Co. next week, we're getting into manga-only stuff now! 8DD

FullMetalBoy said:

Actually, Greed is in the current OP. I imagine we will be getting a new OP sometime relatively soon, though, with the Xingians (Xingese?) coming into the picture in a few eps.
mageletJun 21, 2009 6:34 PM
Jun 21, 2009 6:31 PM

Apr 2009
First half of episode = EPIC EPIC WIN
Island flash back = ....Meh

I didn't like the flash back much, mostly due to the removal of Mason. But still an okay episode, I guess. First part with Hohenheim, the dream, and the flashback of Hohenheim leaving, was GOOD. Very nicely played. Hug scene was good, too.
Jun 21, 2009 6:52 PM

Jul 2008
Ya the first half i couldnt stop laughing
and the island i give it a pass
another week's wait XD
Jun 21, 2009 7:23 PM

Oct 2007
The hug scene was really nicely done. Greed next episode :D

Jun 21, 2009 7:39 PM

May 2008
well i guess that was pretty interesting weeeeee cant wait for greed

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Jun 21, 2009 7:58 PM

Apr 2009
That hugging scene at the end never fails to make me cry.

Awesome episode. Although, I have to agree with a lot of the posts here: Izumi's voice was just uggggh. O_o

I can't wait for the next ep. Yay Greed! And did I just see Roy smile there? lol XD

Jun 21, 2009 8:05 PM

Apr 2009
Good episode overall! I still like that things aren't as stretched-out as they are in the first series, and the island thing is no exception. Definitely teared up during the hugging scene. :'(
Jun 21, 2009 8:08 PM

May 2008
Izumi's voice sounded off...

But I did love this episode. I actually started to cry when she hugged Ed and Al, telling them to not force themselves. :')

Can't wait for next week's episode. Greed. <3

Jun 21, 2009 8:13 PM

Jan 2008
Good episode. Izumi was pretty hilarious.

Greed is next!
Jun 21, 2009 8:22 PM

Apr 2007
I SEE GREED IN THE PREVIEW. I seriously can't wait for the next episode. Greed <333
Hopefully his new voice fits well like the other changes so far. Otherwise I'll be complaining.
Jun 21, 2009 8:39 PM

Jul 2008
Great episode, i love how they made Izumi coughing up blood comical. I cant wait till next week!!

I've only seen the original show, not the manga, is wrath in this version of the show at all?
Jun 21, 2009 8:52 PM

Jun 2007
I agree, this was better condensed. I found this part in FMA1 kind of long and drawn out. Overall though the episode was pretty crappy.
Jun 21, 2009 8:54 PM
May 2008
As someone else stated I loved how the creators mixed comedy with drama and fluidly. The island scene was great and I really liked Ed and Al figuring out the meaning to Izumi's philosophy of " All is one, and one is all". Best change IMO was the comedic take on Izumi coughing blood... and the "hug scene" was really well done. Overall another great episode and FMA S2 has yet to disappoint me... can't wait for Greed.
Dead Account
Please Delete
Jun 21, 2009 9:07 PM

Apr 2009
DesuMan said:
I've only seen the original show, not the manga, is wrath in this version of the show at all?

There is a Wrath in this version, but he is not at all the same person as he was in FMA1. Ditto Sloth, ditto Pride.
Jun 21, 2009 9:49 PM
Mar 2009
It's funny how Izumi always bleeds like it's nothing and everyones like WTF?!?! lol
Ed's flashbacks r beginning to hurt him mentally...
Did that one guy who worked at the butcher shop never appear on the island???
just lol and great ep

The Xingese STILL dont appear???

True or False
Anime + Manga = Chuck Norris / Chuck Norris
Jun 21, 2009 10:18 PM

Aug 2008
I really liked this episode. Some of the gags were extra funny and well done this time around, and I think how the island stuff and the realization was really good too.

This may have been the first or the second time that I noticed the music during this episode. The piece that was played while Ed and Al were getting the hang of things was very Danny Elfman in "The Nightmare Before Chrismas" and jarringly inappropriate.

Also, I found the coda of "alchemy is like the food chain" at the end to be extraneous, redundant and killing the perfect mood of the scene before it (would have been a much better way to end).
Jun 21, 2009 10:31 PM

Jun 2009
Izumi pretty much made this episode. She was pretty humorous this time around in her habit of throwing up blood, and the ending scene with her and the two brothers was very touching. Good start, good finish, but the middle could have been done a little better I think.
kkmaster1337 said:
Did that one guy who worked at the butcher shop never appear on the island???
I was wondering this through most of the episode as well. Really felt like this episode was somewhat rushed because of his absence. In any case, it looks like the next episode is going to be action packed. The battle with Greed is going to be sweet!
Jun 22, 2009 12:24 AM
Jul 2008
This episode went a lot faster than the original season did, but I liked how the first season was in more detailed about the survival exercise and how the Izumi was much more harsh with their punishment from committing taboo than this one.

Woot Greed in the next episode
Jun 22, 2009 1:38 AM

Apr 2009
Nice episode~

Island survival was pretty short ..
otherwise this was good! Funny + emotional;

(Y)
Jun 22, 2009 1:41 AM

Oct 2008
FullMetalBoy said:
The single one part about the flashbacks I didn't like was that they dropped the stubborn face Ed and Al had that made Izumi to take them as her students. This face comes back later and I think it shows so much about the Elrics personality that it's just too much to drop. I would scan the page from the manga if I had a scanner.

I was thinking the same thing!!! I know it's a minor detail, but I felt cheated a little.

noteDhero said:
Also, I found the coda of "alchemy is like the food chain" at the end to be extraneous, redundant and killing the perfect mood of the scene before it (would have been a much better way to end).

QFT, killed the mood.

Also, WHERE WAS MASON D:

Still, this episode was decent enough. As everyone's been saying, the hugging scene was great. But ... !
~ empirexstate [turn, hellhound, turn!]
Jun 22, 2009 2:09 AM

Jan 2009
wow i loved the episode it was great :D <3 i feel sorry for there teacher whene she did the same as al and ed whene they lost there mother and that stubed hornheim i hate him -.-
Edward Elric <3 Lavi <3 Fai. D Flourite <3 Shizu-Chan <3 Sause Uchiha ! <33
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=11018 - FMAB fan club. for thoses who wants to join ^^

Jun 22, 2009 5:34 AM

Apr 2008
great ep! one of my favourites so far
Jun 22, 2009 6:37 AM

Jul 2007
Looks like im the only one that didnt really like this or the last episodes as much as the previous, but all good things are coming :)

As for the thought of a new OP, i hope not, the current is my favorite OP ever!
Jun 22, 2009 7:44 AM

Jun 2007
vindemon64 said:

Paradox055 said:

Not knowing all these stuff makes me want to go read the manga right now.

Episode was good, from my point of view it didn't seem that rushed but yeah the 'circle of life' scene at the end was out of place.
Jun 22, 2009 8:06 AM

Jul 2007
Frenz said:

As for the thought of a new OP, i hope not, the current is my favorite OP ever!

From episode 14 we will have new op and new ed:
OP2: "Hologram" by NICO Touches the Walls
ED2: "Let it out" by Miho Fukuhara
Jun 22, 2009 8:40 AM

Jan 2008
Very well done episode.

Also, can't wait to see how the new OP and ED are going to be like!
Jun 22, 2009 8:42 AM

Nov 2007
I'm quite pleased with this episode. While it covers a lot of the material from the manga, the important scenes were there, and it all just felt right. Usually, I don't like episodes like this that condense a lot of the original material, but this one just worked well. It's the great mix of drama and comedy I was hoping to see.

And next week, Greed makes his appearance. Looking forward to that.
Jun 22, 2009 9:15 AM

Apr 2009
noteDhero said:

See, I really liked that they added that on. I know it didn't quite flow from the previous scene, but it was still a nice way to end the episode, I thought.

hanabiii said:
Not knowing all these stuff makes me want to go read the manga right now.

Do it! It's so good. :3
Jun 22, 2009 1:06 PM

Jul 2008
teacher and pupil made both the same mistake ><
its always good to find someone who truely understands one. that hug was really touching.

Jun 22, 2009 1:27 PM

Dec 2008
magelet said:
noteDhero said:

See, I really liked that they added that on. I know it didn't quite flow from the previous scene, but it was still a nice way to end the episode, I thought.

Actually, I rather agree with noteDhero. I was sorta sitting in my seat, scratching my head, and wondering, "I thought we finished with the island already..?" And they didn't really do/say anything that hadn't been covered before in the episode, so to me, this was the episode's only major weakness.

Overall, though, I thoroughly enjoyed this episode~ Very funny gags, well done dramatic moments, solid animation and sound - there's not much more I can ask for.

Also, I really feel that the characters in FMA2 are more likeable than in FMA1. I'm not entirely sure why (probably because I haven't watched FMA1 in over two years), but Winry and Izumi were never able to win me over, but in FMA2, I love them a whole lot more in these last two episodes than I ever did in the entire FMA1 series.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Apr 26, 2009

446 by xennotsan »»
Apr 29, 2:58 AM

» What’s bad about this anime ( 1 2 3 )

sangonomiya_k - Nov 18, 2023

133 by Angel_crush1 »»
Apr 27, 3:13 AM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

samatar45 - Oct 2, 2009

286 by Fortvne »»
Apr 22, 4:31 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Oct 11, 2009

296 by Fortvne »»
Apr 22, 4:31 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

adamantine - Aug 16, 2009

215 by JoeyBadaSS »»
Apr 20, 10:29 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.