Forum Settings
Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (38) « First ... « 9 10 [11] 12 13 » ... Last »
Jun 27, 2014 9:45 AM

Feb 2012
Speaking of Indie games, Risk of rain is a really good 'un, possibly my favourite rougelike out there
Jun 27, 2014 9:45 AM

Mar 2011
Not all games have to be fun, that's like saying all movies should be Hollywood blockbusters because art-house cinema is boring.
"The view from the bottom of a well may not be much, but you can see the sky and the stars really well. My world is small, but since I'm looking up at space night after night, you could say I'm a frog on a universal scale. When you gaze up at space all alone like that, the back of your mind goes quiet, and you feel as though you've gained an extraordinary amount of wisdom."
Jun 27, 2014 9:48 AM

Sep 2011
Lazhward said:
Not all games have to be fun, that's like saying all movies should be Hollywood blockbusters because art-house cinema is boring.
pretty much, I generally think video games can be a storytelling platform and if it uses itself well it can make up for less than fun gameplay. Many rpgs NEED this cause they arent the most fun thing in the world, but combine that with a stellar plotline and you can get stone cold masterpieces.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jun 27, 2014 9:50 AM

Oct 2011
Lazhward said:

JizzyHitler said:
Lazhward said:
pretty much, I generally think video games can be a storytelling platform and if it uses itself well it can make up for less than fun gameplay. Many rpgs NEED this cause they arent the most fun thing in the world, but combine that with a stellar plotline and you can get stone cold masterpieces.

It barely has a story to tell as well as very basic and for the most part, uninteresting gameplay. It's not like saying anything, because if a game lacks both of these at the same time, what are you really going to have left?
Jun 27, 2014 9:52 AM

Sep 2011
lordzeru said:
Lazhward said:

JizzyHitler said:

It barely has a story to tell as well as very basic and for the most part, uninteresting gameplay. It's not like saying anything, because if a game lacks both of these at the same time, what are you really going to have left?
Wait what exactly are you talking about? I was speaking in generality not towards any specific product.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jun 27, 2014 11:37 AM

Apr 2012
I disagree. I dont think games can be a storytelling platform. I think they can be a Storyexperiencing platform. And the crucial part in experiencing a story for yourself is the gameplay. If the gameplay isnt at least mildly engaging the game is a failure.

All the games that have great stories atleast have somewhat fun gameplay. Bioschock Infinite, Witcher 1 , and others dont have the greatest gameplay. But its still somewhat fun and not a chore.

But yeah I think the gameplay is the most important part of a game.
Jun 27, 2014 12:17 PM

Sep 2011
baki502 said:
Bioshock Infinite
Funny you should mention Bioshock. The gameplay has always been the least good part of that franchise. Actually, the gameplay is pretty bad. The only good part is the lore, world and story.
Jun 27, 2014 12:33 PM

Apr 2012
Haakonwale said:
baki502 said:
Bioshock Infinite
Funny you should mention Bioshock. The gameplay has always been the least good part of that franchise. Actually, the gameplay is pretty bad. The only good part is the lore, world and story.

Im not mentioning it as a good example. Im mentioning it as an example where the gameplay isnt good, but doesnt become a chore to hinder your enjoyment. I played Bioschock 1 and Infinite and both dont have a particularly good gameplay (1 is better tough imo) but the gameplay itself is still at least a bit of fun. Enough to make me want to continue. Its when you have to force yourself trough the gameplay to experience the story that a game has become a failure imo.
Jun 27, 2014 1:16 PM

Mar 2011
I don't really see the distinction you make between storytelling and story-experience. It seems like the same thing to me since any story being told is an experience to whoever chooses to engage with it. What makes games different is just that it's interactive I'd say, other than that it tells stories just like movies and novels do.

The main issue I have with saying games are all about gameplay is that it's restrictive. It immediately eliminates all possible games not focusing on gameplay before they've even been made; seems like a bad attitude for allowing for creativity. Take Octodad for example; it purposefully has terrible gameplay for comedic effect. If they'd followed the rule of 'games must have at least decent gameplay' it never would've existed.
Anyways, saying a game is bad because it has poor gameplay, whilst having good gameplay is not what the game is concerned with in the first place, doesn't really seem like valid criticism. Now of course you don't have to like games like that, but I think they should be able to exist and should be criticised on whatever it is they try to achieve, not on what it doesn't achieve in regards to more traditional games when such a direct comparison fails by default.
"The view from the bottom of a well may not be much, but you can see the sky and the stars really well. My world is small, but since I'm looking up at space night after night, you could say I'm a frog on a universal scale. When you gaze up at space all alone like that, the back of your mind goes quiet, and you feel as though you've gained an extraordinary amount of wisdom."
Jun 27, 2014 1:30 PM

Apr 2012
Lazhward said:
I don't really see the distinction you make between storytelling and story-experience. It seems like the same thing to me since any story being told is an experience to whoever chooses to engage with it. What makes games different is just that it's interactive I'd say, other than that it tells stories just like movies and novels do.

The main issue I have with saying games are all about gameplay is that it's restrictive. It immediately eliminates all possible games not focusing on gameplay before they've even been made; seems like a bad attitude for allowing for creativity. Take Octodad for example; it purposefully has terrible gameplay for comedic effect. If they'd followed the rule of 'games must have at least decent gameplay' it never would've existed.
Anyways, saying a game is bad because it has poor gameplay, whilst having good gameplay is not what the game is concerned with in the first place, doesn't really seem like valid criticism. Now of course you don't have to like games like that, but I think they should be able to exist and should be criticised on whatever it is they try to achieve, not on what it doesn't achieve in regards to more traditional games when such a direct comparison fails by default.

Well Storytelling is the un-interactive way of telling a story. In a game that would be for example Cutscenes. In my book Cutscenes are bad. Its an interruption of the flow, an interruption of the gameplay, and its a sub-optimal way to tell a story.

Experiencing a Story would be to tell a Story in an interactive way. Best example I know for that is Brothers a Tale of two sons. That game managed to marry story and gameplay perfectly, it told the whole story trough the world, the gameplay and what YOU did as a player, not what was shown to you.

Concerning Octodad I do not think the gameplay is bad. Well I guess in a way "bad gameplay" can be subjective, as some will absolute love some type of gameplay while others will love it. So instead of bad gameplay lets use the term 'lack there of'. Games that dont have much gameplay I do not consider good games, or rather not really games at all. A game that is riddled with cutscenes and QTEs is my definition of a "game" that fails to be one. "Games" like that are better of being movies.

And thats my main idea/point that I want to convey. Games are not movies, nor books or cartoons/anime. Games are a medium of their own and should be treated as such. And they have their own way of telling a story, and that is the interactive way. And that is why I think the "cinematic experience" trend in gaming that began to be a trend a few years back was the worst thing that could have happened to gaming. Cause it was the beginning of trying to turn games into movies, which they arent.

Im seeing a switch tough. I feel like the trend is going back towards more gameplay, less cutscenes, and I do believe that the success and rise of indies influenced it. Cause indie games are generally the gameplay focused games.

Im sorry for my long rambling. I am just way more of an elitist when it comes to gaming than when it comes to anime ^^.
Jun 27, 2014 1:47 PM
Nov 2009
There's no right or wrong for games but artsy walk-around-and-do-nothing games can suck my buttocks.
Also interactive ways of telling a story result in basic stories but are more fun to play obviously. Cinematic story telling in games' enjoyment depends on the execution and story but it can convey a lot (praise the expositions).
Haven't really seen examples of either that would let me think that either of them is better. But arsty indie games try that interactive non-game way and that's just eugh. While the only really bad thing about cinematic games can be the writing, which depends on the the developer.
mugiJun 27, 2014 1:57 PM
Jun 27, 2014 2:26 PM

Apr 2012
It really depends on the kind of people. Im like my enjoyment sort of seperated. How sould I put it, even in anime for example I tend to look for anime based on a specific thing I want. For example I want a comedy, I wil look for something that is as much of a comedy as possible and nothing else. So I like specialized things not the jack of all trades. And thats how I like my games too. When I play games I want to play a GAME and Im there for the gameplay and not to watch a movie, and thats why for me cut scenes, QTEs etc.. aka the "cinematic experience" is a thorn in my eye. Im not saying its objectively bad but its not what defines a game.

And I believe you can tell very good and in depth stories without cut scenes or QTEs or any of the sort. Witcher 1 for example has very few cutscenes at all, it tels its story mostly trough the interaction and dialogue with the other characters, as well as trough your actions. And I still believe it could even do without these few cutscenes it actually has.

Anyway. Lets just agree that its a preference thing. I just think games should not be seen as a storytelling medium first. IMO its most and foremost an activity more like a sport, its about the gameplay and what you do in the first place and not the story. But thats just my opinion.
Jun 27, 2014 2:31 PM

Mar 2011
baki502 said:
Lazhward said:

Well Storytelling is the un-interactive way of telling a story. In a game that would be for example Cutscenes. In my book Cutscenes are bad. Its an interruption of the flow, an interruption of the gameplay, and its a sub-optimal way to tell a story.

Experiencing a Story would be to tell a Story in an interactive way. Best example I know for that is Brothers a Tale of two sons. That game managed to marry story and gameplay perfectly, it told the whole story trough the world, the gameplay and what YOU did as a player, not what was shown to you.

Concerning Octodad I do not think the gameplay is bad. Well I guess in a way "bad gameplay" can be subjective, as some will absolute love some type of gameplay while others will love it. So instead of bad gameplay lets use the term 'lack there of'. Games that dont have much gameplay I do not consider good games, or rather not really games at all. A game that is riddled with cutscenes and QTEs is my definition of a "game" that fails to be one. "Games" like that are better of being movies.

And thats my main idea/point that I want to convey. Games are not movies, nor books or cartoons/anime. Games are a medium of their own and should be treated as such. And they have their own way of telling a story, and that is the interactive way. And that is why I think the "cinematic experience" trend in gaming that began to be a trend a few years back was the worst thing that could have happened to gaming. Cause it was the beginning of trying to turn games into movies, which they arent.

Im seeing a switch tough. I feel like the trend is going back towards more gameplay, less cutscenes, and I do believe that the success and rise of indies influenced it. Cause indie games are generally the gameplay focused games.

Im sorry for my long rambling. I am just way more of an elitist when it comes to gaming than when it comes to anime ^^.

I do agree with the cutscene thing to a certain extent, but isn't that a different issue? Perhaps we're now talking about two different things at the same time. For cutscenes you could say it is no longer a story-experience as you would call it, but simple storytelling.
But on the other hand, there's games like Gone Home or Dear Esther, which have no real gameplay mechanics to speak off, but don't make use of cutscenes either. They are interactive stories from beginning to end, which is fine afaic.

Well my main point is simply; 'games' can be anything really, and people should be allowed to make and play it all. Saying 'games can't be this' limits all future possibilities. And yes, games are totally a medium of their own, not movies; but what they are, will be, or could become is still open for artistic interpretation.
Jun 27, 2014 2:51 PM

Apr 2012
Lazhward said:

Well my main point is simply; 'games' can be anything really, and people should be allowed to make and play it all. Saying 'games can't be this' limits all future possibilities. And yes, games are totally a medium of their own, not movies; but what they are, will be, or could become is still open for artistic interpretation.

Well I am in no position to tell people what kind of games to make. Only thing I can do is judge the games they make and voice my opinion, an opinion only worth one in a few million of gamers out there.
And well my opinion is that such games have not grabed the essence of being a game. I dont know Gone Home but I played Dear Esther and while I did enjoy it to some extent, the experience was not something you get from a game. It was more like going to the museum and looking at the displayed art really. Especially with VR Glasses like the Oculus Rift coming up, actual virtual art displays that you can walk in and similar stuff will be a reality. And honestly something like Dear Esther honestly fits more in that kind of category than a game.

Same with VN actually, they arent really games either, they come closer to novels, I mean it is in the name. They are more like Choose your own adventure books.

Oh well in the end its semantics. Do I think those kind of "games" should exist? Yeah sure, as long as it doesnt become the majority. As long as the gaming industry doesnt loose sight of what defines it, aka the interactivity and gameplay.
Jun 28, 2014 9:56 PM

Mar 2009
I thought games like Virtue's Last Reward and Gone Home were very interesting, because there stories were told in a way that other mediums couldn't be told. That's very cool, I think.
Jul 13, 2014 2:33 PM
Jan 2013
IS ANYONE WATHCING EVO RIGHT NOW? THESE GAMES HOLY MOLY O_O.
Jul 13, 2014 2:48 PM

Jan 2013
kitkatxz said:

I should get on it soon, what games are up? I'm a KoF & DoA guy.
Jul 13, 2014 3:06 PM
Jan 2013
AngelsArcanum said:
kitkatxz said:

Bro, you gotta check these smash games so intense.... #PIKACHU HYPE
Jul 13, 2014 3:13 PM

Jan 2013
kitkatxz said:
AngelsArcanum said:

We'll see, I don't love Melee too much, and I may consider checking Injustice, BB and maybe even Killer Instinct, but for now I'm fixated on watching the KoF Grand Finals that wrapped up.

EDIT: That was sad. I really wanted Tokido to win that, he was ambitious and rigorous, Xiaohai was far too textbook and conservative, his combos were by the books and super safe. It was pretty much a repeat of Bala vs MadKoF back at Evo 2012; Bala was pulling off sick shit but then MadKoF just whittled it down to a very quiet little slipthrough victory. *sigh*
AngelsArcanumJul 13, 2014 3:40 PM
Jul 13, 2014 4:16 PM

Feb 2012
kitkatxz said:
AngelsArcanum said:

Raise your pikachu man!

Those games were pretty fucking hype, Hbox coming back from the loser's bracket and Armada reking goons, and pikachu lamost making a comeback at the end :(
Jul 13, 2014 5:37 PM

Jan 2013
Love me some Pikachu in Brawl I will say haha. Granted, I use like half the roster in Brawl.
Jul 13, 2014 6:20 PM
Jan 2013
Reialgo said:
kitkatxz said:

Raise your pikachu man!

Those games were pretty fucking hype, Hbox coming back from the loser's bracket and Armada reking goons, and pikachu lamost making a comeback at the end :(

Those fucking rests man those fucking rest.... too good
ONE MORE YEAR!
but now its time for Marvel.... LETS GO WONG
Jul 13, 2014 7:11 PM
Jan 2013
YESSSSSS WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Congrazts to
Jul 13, 2014 7:25 PM

Jan 2013
kitkatxz said:
YESSSSSS WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Congrazts to

Oh nice! Back when I was into SF and MvC I always preferred Justin, I'm glad he's back on top anyways.
Jul 14, 2014 8:22 AM

Jul 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW6TpZPYd58

I'm even more excited than before! I do hope they mix up their movesets though.
Jul 14, 2014 11:48 AM

Feb 2012
CAPTAIN FALCON AT LAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LUCINA

ROBIN

AND DAT CHROM TROLLING

why is sakurai so based?
Jul 14, 2014 2:02 PM

Jul 2013
Yup. Yup. I lost it when Robin said "Worthy opponents indeed" I love it! Judging from the few seconds I saw of them. Robin looks great and varied. I wonder how many uses he/she will get from the spells before they're finished. Maybe they'll recharge with time? Lucina looks like she took over Marth's moveset. Ike still looks like Ike. Marth seems the same too.

I'm glad there's more Fire Emblem now since Awakening was so popular but maybe they could have mixed up the characters so that they aren't all sword users? I mean there's plenty of other ways of attacking in the series like using bows, spears, or even turning into a dragon! Maybe I'm being a bit too picky but it's been "Attack of the Clones" since melee (and to a much lesser extent, the original). In Brawl Fox, Falco, and Wolf were pretty much the same character too (Even with the same final smash! Give Falco a darn arwing since he "prefers the air").

Idk, smash is what I've been playing since it came out and there's some areas for improvement that should have been tweaked in the previous games. That's not to say they're major complaints or big fun ruiners, rather they're more constantly overlooked annoyances.

Yeah Finally! CF. I was beginning to get worried. Also, he hasn't had his own game in years. He's been missed on the Wii and DS/3DS so far. :(

Boy, I didn't expect my nintendo fanboyism to be this strong. Hahahahahaha! Welp, back to Skyrim! (I'll beat it this week. I won't get sidetracked again, I swear!) Hahahahahahaha! :)
Nagisa33Jul 14, 2014 2:11 PM
Jul 14, 2014 3:35 PM

Feb 2012
It's kinda strange that lucina appears to be a clone of marth, to a degree, since Sakurai seems to have been stomping out character clones from the last games(at the cost of one of my mains, toon link! ) Robin looks ace though

My friend and I had hoped Chrom would be playable and that his specials(at least some) would be assist attacks from other characters, that would make for a pretty unique characters
Jul 14, 2014 4:21 PM

Jan 2013
Reialgo said:
It's kinda strange that lucina appears to be a clone of marth, to a degree, since Sakurai seems to have been stomping out character clones from the last games(at the cost of one of my mains, toon link! ) Robin looks ace though

My friend and I had hoped Chrom would be playable and that his specials(at least some) would be assist attacks from other characters, that would make for a pretty unique characters

RIP Toon Link. :(
Jul 14, 2014 7:41 PM

Oct 2012
@SSB 4

So, Lucina and Robin. That might replace Marth and Toon Link for me too. (although, I've spent so long with Marth as my main, changing up might end up working against me.)

Someone explain something to me though. Is Chrom an assist trophy or playable? The trailer teased and I was lost for a second.
Jul 14, 2014 7:54 PM

Jan 2013
Ducat_Revel said:
@SSB 4

So, Lucina and Robin. That might replace Marth and Toon Link for me too. (although, I've spent so long with Marth as my main, changing up might end up working against me.)

Someone explain something to me though. Is Chrom an assist trophy or playable? The trailer teased and I was lost for a second.

Well Marth is still playable and Chrom just shows up as part of Robin's final smash it seems.
Jul 14, 2014 8:04 PM

Oct 2012
AngelsArcanum said:
Ducat_Revel said:
@SSB 4

Well Marth is still playable and Chrom just shows up as part of Robin's final smash it seems.

Thanks for explaining Chrom. I never meant that Marth wasn't playable. It's just that if Lucina handles better, I might replace Marth from my personal roster.
Jul 14, 2014 8:49 PM

Oct 2012
I don't know if it's been discussed and at what length if so, but Shadow of the Colossus is the pinnacle of games. Everything from the gameplay to the art style and music is superb.

Orcarina of Time? Overrated nostalgic bullshit that didn't age well and was more praised for what it did than actual gameplay. Nintendo fans get mad.

The Last of Us? Mediocre action game that literally stole every zombie/apocalypse movie trope and was very generic. Gameplay was so so with the only highlight being the melee combat. Paid gaming journalist get out of here.

I hate the new trend of trying to shoehorn these Hollywood stories into games. Games will always be the weakest form of story telling simply due to medium limitations. As long as player action exist, which it should being that it's a game after all, games will always be hindered. That's why I like Shadow of the Colossus' minimal short story style so much, it works exceedingly well for games.

There you have it, Shadow of the Colossus, 10/10, literally perfect in every way. The Phantom Pain looks close though.

ShrabsterJul 15, 2014 3:11 AM

Jul 15, 2014 9:12 AM

Mar 2009
Shrabster said:
Games will always be the weakest form of story telling simply due to medium limitations. As long as player action exist, which it should being that it's a game after all, games will always be hindered.

That's a very different opinion than I have. I think because of the freedom in video games, stories can be told in unique ways. Virtue's Last Reward, for example, is a story that could not be experienced as a book or film in the same way at all. I've yet to start Planescape: Torment, but I hear similar things (it's writing is probably much better than VLR, too). I was also impressed by the stories of Red Dead Redemption, To The Moon, Phoenix Wright: Justice For All, and Metal Gear Solid 3. Character dramas are done very well in games because of the player interaction, too.

I don't see how games are hindered at all. Overall, a really strange argument you're making, I think.
Jul 15, 2014 11:40 AM

Apr 2012
AlabastreAizo said:
Shrabster said:
Games will always be the weakest form of story telling simply due to medium limitations. As long as player action exist, which it should being that it's a game after all, games will always be hindered.

That's a very different opinion than I have. I think because of the freedom in video games, stories can be told in unique ways. Virtue's Last Reward, for example, is a story that could not be experienced as a book or film in the same way at all. I've yet to start Planescape: Torment, but I hear similar things (it's writing is probably much better than VLR, too). I was also impressed by the stories of Red Dead Redemption, To The Moon, Phoenix Wright: Justice For All, and Metal Gear Solid 3. Character dramas are done very well in games because of the player interaction, too.

I don't see how games are hindered at all. Overall, a really strange argument you're making, I think.

He mentioned games that tell the story in a hollywood movie way. And I simply got to agree with him on that. And generally Id say that games can tell great stories but you also need great gameplay and general the gameplay is more important.

On that note I didnt like to the moon too much. Its really not that great a game I got bored, the story is alright but really the gameplay or lack thereof is really boring. The few puzzles completely unchallenging, the walking around just tedious and what I remember most are slooooow view swipes.
The story was cleverly written but I really think it didnt profit from being a game at all.

@Schrabster
I havent played SotC myself but I saw a video some time ago and the gameplay honestly looked rather boring. Kinda qteish, didnt look too real time too me.
Jul 15, 2014 1:08 PM

Oct 2012
AlabastreAizo said:
Shrabster said:

Player action can directly contradict the story. I have never gotten attached to any story or character in a game through gameplay sequences, only cutscenes and other non-gameplay sequences which interfere with the game. I'm curious, what player interaction helped you?

baki502 said:
I havent played SotC myself but I saw a video some time ago and the gameplay honestly looked rather boring. Kinda qteish, didnt look too real time too me.
If you ever get the chance play the HD collection on the PS3. As far as QTEs go there are none in the game.
ShrabsterJul 16, 2014 5:28 AM

Jul 16, 2014 5:57 AM

Nov 2012
99.999999999999999999999% of games people praise for story are comparable to fan fiction. Limitations aside, there is simply not enough talent in the industry and it's far too young. I would say it's possible in the future but as of now I don't like the way industry and its trends are heading.

That's not to say video games don't have impressive things about them story wise here and there, it's just too far and in between and doesn't add up to a whole.
CursedDangerJul 16, 2014 4:41 PM
how i r8

1- crpy animee no gud
10- gud aniem, dep plot, lots of cute grls
Jul 16, 2014 2:51 PM

Jan 2013
CursedDanger said:
99.999999999999999999999% of games people praise for good story are comparable to fan fiction. Limitations aside, there is simply not enough talent in the industry and it's far too young. I would say it's possible in the future but as of now I don't like the the way industry and its trends are heading.

That's not to say video games don't have impressive things about them story wise here and there, it's just too far and in between and doesn't add up to a whole.

^ this.
Jul 22, 2014 11:30 AM

Sep 2011
Has anyone played through Episode 1 of the Dark Souls 2 DLCs yet? I've put off buying it for now, so I haven't had the chance to play it myself.
I don't want any spoilers, I just want to know if it's quality. So far I've only heard good things, but I want to hear from you guys as well.
Jul 22, 2014 11:36 AM

Apr 2012
Haakonwale said:
Has anyone played through Episode 1 of the Dark Souls 2 DLCs yet? I've put off buying it for now, so I haven't had the chance to play it myself.
I don't want any spoilers, I just want to know if it's quality. So far I've only heard good things, but I want to hear from you guys as well.

Nope havent even finished DS2 yet. Idk i think its better gameplay wise but for some reason Im lacking the drive. Partly due to the really weak bosses adn I think its also the areas, I just dont really feel like progressing. Im close tough, only like 2 areas left and then Ill buy the DLC, going by part 1 I trust it will be great, the DLC on DS1 was better than the main game imo.
Jul 23, 2014 4:40 AM

Feb 2012
^ I feel like this towards DkS2, though I'd debate on whether the gameplay is actually better.

Anyway, from what I've seen from a *certain someone's* stream, the DLC looks to lean even more heavily on "Difficult for the sake of being difficult" than vanilla, that topped off with the fact that you can beat it in 3-4 hours(less if your not stuck on one of the bosses for an hour, which you probably will be) and I'm probably going to wait untill they're all out and/or they get discounted.

Related note, artorias DLC was one of the best DLCs ever, it answered lore on vaguely speculated before and had hands down the best bosses in the game.
Jul 23, 2014 8:49 AM

Jul 2013
I beat DS2 but I sold it. I did watch a few of my buddies play through the DLC and while it's pretty interesting it doesn't seem worth it yet. I suspect that they'll bundle all 3. The level design has improved and there's some puzzles that give off a Zelda vibe which is great. Winding corridors and murky depths await and you really get the vibe that you're swallowed up just like this land was. There's no new NPCs which is a shame and the area / a few enemy models are repeated. It doesn't connect itself to the lore that was in DS 2, rather it creates new content and expands on the lore. All in all it's pretty good but I think waiting s the best option for now.

Speaking of DLC, what DLC is worth getting? The Bethesda DLCs are usually great and it's even better when they package them together. Some Fallout 3 DLC was a blast. The Mass Effect DLC was solid as well, most notably The Citidel. It's a shame content was locked and sold as DLC. Even so it was worth experiencing as it added more to the finale and answered some burning questions. Dark Souls DLC is solid but the newest one isn't at the level of the Artorias DLC package. Idk, what else? Hahaha!
Nagisa33Jul 23, 2014 8:56 AM
Jul 23, 2014 12:04 PM

Apr 2012
Artorias DLC is handsdown best DLC ever made compared to every game in existence. Not only is it quite long its also better than the maingame which hardly any dlc are. And I actually got it for free on PC, when I bought it for like 8€.

@Reialgo
What do you mean difficult for difficultys sake? Honestly DS2 is only quite difficult on the way to the boss, the bosses are a joke 9/10 times.
Jul 23, 2014 1:36 PM

Feb 2012
@Baki yeah the bosses themselves are jokes, but there are several instances of the game which is just trying to be difficult, rather than being challenging. Like the game's overuse of locking you down with a melee enemy, and having a ranged enemy firing at you at the same time, or just the entirety of the shrine of amana(pre-patch) or the entirety of dragon shrine(pre-patch)

Actually on that note, FROM's design philosophy is kinda confusing me for DkS2, they nerfed the two stoopid hard zones from vanilla into the ground, but then they released DLC on par with those levels, isn't that pretty contradictory?
Jul 23, 2014 1:41 PM

Apr 2012
Reialgo said:
@Baki yeah the bosses themselves are jokes, but there are several instances of the game which is just trying to be difficult, rather than being challenging. Like the game's overuse of locking you down with a melee enemy, and having a ranged enemy firing at you at the same time, or just the entirety of the shrine of amana(pre-patch) or the entirety of dragon shrine(pre-patch)

Actually on that note, FROM's design philosophy is kinda confusing me for DkS2, they nerfed the two stoopid hard zones from vanilla into the ground, but then they released DLC on par with those levels, isn't that pretty contradictory?

Oh yeah that, yeah, as I said path to the boss is usually harder than the boss itself. There is also that path with the loads of poison shooting little shits down belop in the depths or what its called. Really ugly. And the bosses so easy. The most challenging one so far I feel was that floating knight honestly...

The most ridiculus thing is that I stunlocked like half the bosses to death.
Jul 23, 2014 1:59 PM

Jul 2013
baki502 said:
Oh yeah that, yeah, as I said path to the boss is usually harder than the boss itself. There is also that path with the loads of poison shooting little shits down belop in the depths or what its called. Really ugly. And the bosses so easy.

Hahaha! One of my most despised paths to the boss. I hated those poison statues. Since they didn't respawn when you rested at the bonfire I destroyed them all, summoned NPCs after (so they didn't get poisoned too), and then walked to the boss. If Lucatiel was close to dying I feathered out so I didn't have to break the statues all over again. I was going for her achievement (though I usually don't but in DS I was a completionist.) Anyway, that area was annoying.

The most annoying path to the boss was the Dragon Shrine. The boss was challenging (until I found tried the feet strategy) but getting there was the real challenge as well as a huge pain in the butt. Enemies hit like a truck so it was a race to the fog wall. Gosh, I spent a lot of time just trying to get to that boss.
Jul 24, 2014 9:19 PM

Jul 2013
Anyone check out the Destiny Beta? My brother and I have been playing it on xbox 360 for the past two days. The gameplay seems similar to Call of Duty with a bit of Halo mixed in. PVP fights are short and you die in a few seconds. I prefer the more drawn out fights that Halo offers but this is fun too. The world is fun to explore and the main hub has a lot of little details that make it feel living. My brother jumped on a heated fan with a bunch of other players and they all floated in the air. It was unexpected and funny. Plus, there's a lot of silly dancing going on. Hahaha!

What do you think of it or what it's going to mean for "next gen" games?
Jul 28, 2014 9:24 AM
Jun 2008
It probably wont mean a whole bunch, unless marketing gets just enough lowest common demonstrators so that media can blow it out of proportion.
Jul 28, 2014 7:33 PM

Aug 2009
I decided to download the Destiny beta this weekend and actually thought it was pretty fun. There's a little bit of a Borderlands feel and Halo with how enemies behave and such, among other things. I'm a little bit disappointed that Destiny isn't so much of an open world game like I've heard about; it's really been just one big level that depends on matchmaking with a set objective (depending on what story bit you're doing). Of course, this is just a beta so they're not going to show everything, but I find the whole open world thing to be misleading at this point until proven otherwise.

Still, I did say I had some fun out of it. I at least like the tone of the game and what it's going for. I don't regularly pair up with random people online during co-op sessions, but I decided to and still had some enjoyment trying to beat a certain objective. I can equip better weapons and armor that you can loot of enemies or buying them if you have enough glimmer (which seems to be the game's currency).

My main pet peeve with the game, however, is the inclusion of auto-aim, which I'm not a big fan of at all. Other games have the option to actually disable it; I find it absolutely baffling Destiny did not have that option.

Nagisa33 said:
What do you think of it or what it's going to mean for "next gen" games?

It does absolutely nothing for "next-gen" IMO. Like Wind_Falcon kind of said, a lot of the media will overhype it so much to make people believe this is the next biggest thing since Call of Duty 4, but I don't see that at all. Activision has been heavy with its marketing and promotion, and the masses will obviously just eat it all up. Like I said before, I thought the whole 'open-world' aspect of it is misleading, since there wasn't really much of an exploration element from what the beta was showing.

Honestly if you wanted to have a real, big open world shooter with lots of people, go for Planetside 2. I'd...also just play more Borderlands at this point. But yeah, it's overall, a pretty fun game, but it's absolutely nothing like how they've been hyping it since it was announced.
Jul 29, 2014 2:31 AM

Feb 2012
dietmango said:
it's really been just one big level that depends on matchmaking with a set objective

How does this work out? You own a ship right? Are each of the planets you visit just a few alterations to a level or have you not gotten to the point where you can fly your ship?

Anyway I never thought destiny could live up to it's hype, in general it just sounded like a lazy attempt from Bungie, playing it safe rather than striking out. If it wasn't already obvious they originally intended it to be a modern fantasy RPG then went "Nah let's just repeat that one vidya games series that everyone knows us for"

Anyway(x2) Falcom's Trails in the Sky FINALLY got released on steam today! I aint got moneyz but I'm hyped as fuck for when I do.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (38) « First ... « 9 10 [11] 12 13 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The New Manga Enlightenment Camp - All plebes and Untermenschen MUST attend

Exinqt - Aug 21, 2015

31 by Ducat_Revel »»
Apr 2, 6:33 PM

» 10 Steps to Becoming an Anime Elitist

Deago - Jun 2, 2023

2 by AaronRRedfield »»
Jan 11, 3:52 PM

» Winter 2024 Overview

Deago - Dec 20, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Dec 20, 2023 8:24 AM

» Anime/Manga Recommendation Thread Based on Your List ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

TrishaCat - Jan 25, 2013

1161 by GanXWeed69o7 »»
Aug 19, 2023 12:15 PM

» Summer 2023 Overview

Deago - Jun 14, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Jun 14, 2023 7:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.