Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 24, 2014 3:21 PM

Jan 2011
I wanted trying to find Kao An in the database and saw that is was rejected for being a "Taiwanese animation".
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=140439&show=280#msg11973109

But Taiwan is officially a part of the People's Republic of China.
Sure it was once its own entity but not now.

At which point Hong Kong was once its own entity. But is now a part of the People's Republic of China. We even have Hong Kong anime in the DB like DragonBlade and Storm Rider.

What I'm trying to say: why is the anime of one region rejected while the anime of another is accepted even though they are both a part of the same official country?

If Macau makes an anime would it be rejected or accepted? Since it too is a separate entity that is now a part of the People's Republic of China.

At which point, perhaps the DB guidelines should be changed from "China" to "People's Republic of China" for clarity?
Feb 28, 2014 11:52 PM

Jan 2011
Bump since it's been over a month and no answer.

(also i messed up that first sentence a bit. It's supposed to be "I wanted to try to find Kao An..."
Mar 1, 2014 3:01 AM

Dec 2011
lanblade said:
I wanted trying to find Kao An in the database and saw that is was rejected for being a "Taiwanese animation".
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=140439&show=280#msg11973109

But Taiwan is officially a part of the People's Republic of China.
Sure it was once its own entity but not now.

At which point Hong Kong was once its own entity. But is now a part of the People's Republic of China. We even have Hong Kong anime in the DB like DragonBlade and Storm Rider.

What I'm trying to say: why is the anime of one region rejected while the anime of another is accepted even though they are both a part of the same official country?

If Macau makes an anime would it be rejected or accepted? Since it too is a separate entity that is now a part of the People's Republic of China.

At which point, perhaps the DB guidelines should be changed from "China" to "People's Republic of China" for clarity?

Hong Kong and Macao are both SARs within the People's Republic of China. There is no debate as to whether or not they are part of the country commonly referred to as 'China', even if they are largely self-governing and often treated as separate entities.

Taiwan (or the 'Republic of China') is a disputed region which claims its own independence, which is a status that is recognised by many (albeit a minority of) other countries around the world.

The comparison is thus not really relevant.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Mar 1, 2014 11:58 AM

Jan 2011
Taiwan/Republic of China lost its seat at the UN to mainland-SAR China/People's Republic of China.
Ugg, it's hard trying to write this without sounding like an asshole to their struggle. Taiwan trying to claim its own independence means that it doesn't have independence.
As much as it would be nice for it to be its own entity on the same level as Russia or Germany or Australia, it's not.

I should redact my request to change the guidelines to "People's Republic of China" and request "Greater China" instead. That way it includes mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan without Taiwan getting it rubbed in their face that they aren't official and internationally independent.

A different take on this, Taiwan is formally called the Republic of China. China is in its name. As the guidelines state just 'China'. So its anime should be allowed. Like Hong Kong anime being allowed because it has China in its official name too "Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China".
Mar 9, 2014 6:45 PM

Nov 2010
I agree with lanblade, change it to Greater China and allow Taiwanese works.

Rabble rabble
Mar 20, 2014 7:29 AM
Mar 2014
i cant understand wuts question you asked- -this anime has been Taiwanese one hasnt it? im Chinese and i wanna some English dub anime and also with English sub, like mahou shoujo madoka magica. but its hard to find, i wanna improve my English listening skill and to be honest Chinese animes are all crap- -they are all short and meaningless or even just shit like 喜羊羊與灰太狼 such shit anime or cartoon-.-
Mar 20, 2014 10:57 AM
Dec 2011
littleca said:
i cant understand wuts question you asked- -this anime has been Taiwanese one hasnt it? im Chinese and i wanna some English dub anime and also with English sub, like mahou shoujo madoka magica. but its hard to find, i wanna improve my English listening skill and to be honest Chinese animes are all crap- -they are all short and meaningless or even just shit like 喜羊羊與灰太狼 such shit anime or cartoon-.-

It has nothing to do with quality. He wants Taiwanese animation to be included in the Database. Since Taiwan is part of china and sometimes called The Republic of China. I have to agree it makes sense to allow for there inclusion since no real change to wording of DB rules is even needed.
Mar 23, 2014 1:16 PM

Apr 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
I agree with lanblade, change it to Greater China and allow Taiwanese works.

Rabble rabble
Agree with this, coming from a Chinese citizen btw.
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Jun 12, 2014 9:48 PM

Jan 2011
Bumping this again.

Fansubbers recently released the Yahabe/Yahabee ONA.
It is based on the one-shot manga by Shaman King creator Hiroyuki Takei. And officially was shown on Jump Square (Sheuisha's online manga magazine that released the one-shot in Japan). But the animation was made entirely in Taiwan. It does have professional Japanese voice acting.

So yeah...right now with some Taiwanese stuff denied and some accepted in the DB. I'd really like Republic of China to be accept as a "Chinese" anime.
Jan 17, 2015 12:01 PM

Nov 2010
Bump. Go Republic of China.
Jan 18, 2015 9:19 AM
Oct 2013
What is everyone talking about? Taiwan, which is just the popular name for Republik of China (ROC) nowadays, is de facto an independent country. The People's Republic of China (PRC) claims its territories and threatens every country that acknowledge its sovereignty.
So no, don't just count ROC as a part of PRC because it is not.

It would be a different case if it were similar to North Cyprus whose establishment "was condemned by the international community" is invalid. North Cyprus is considered as a part of Cyprus.

lanblade said:
A different take on this, Taiwan is formally called the Republic of China. China is in its name. As the guidelines state just 'China'. So its anime should be allowed. Like Hong Kong anime being allowed because it has China in its official name too "Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China".

Also no. China explicitly refers to PRC. Just because it happens to be in the name doesn't mean anything. People also refer to USA as America.

I would recommend to change "China" to "Sino" which would have more of a cultural than a political meaning and then include Taiwan/ROC's animation and comics in the database by this term.
Jan 21, 2015 10:09 AM

Apr 2014
^ The thing is both PRC and ROC claim to be the only legitimate China, with both the Mainland and Taiwan included (and Mongolia for ROC, but I think that's just an anti-Soviet remnant that's never been able to be officially resolved).

In Chinese conversation (except maybe less cosmopolitan areas?) as well as websites, it's pretty much common practice to use "Dalu" and "Taiwan" when talking about media and entertainment, so I don't see why the analogous "Mainland China" couldn't be used here. That way, we can still keep a slight distinction between them, as manhua and shows from the Mainland tend to have a rather different style/method than those of Taiwan. To me, "Greater China" just sounds needlessly nationalist and insincere, almost like using "Tianxia".

Also, I'd just like to say please, if you don't have firsthand knowledge, please try to consider other perspectives.
KawdekJan 21, 2015 10:12 AM
Jan 21, 2015 10:39 AM

Sep 2014
PRC claims Taiwan, but it doesn't make it officially part of it. China has no control of the island. Just like how ROC has no control of the Mainland.

But I agree that Taiwanese works should be allowed. Not fond of the term "Greater China"; maybe under "Chinese language" works or something or....just "Taiwanese"? haha

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Anime DB - Post Modification Requests Here ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cyruz - May 15, 2016

8689 by Jhiday »»
15 minutes ago

Sticky: » Anime DB - Post Genre/Theme Requests Here ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 28, 2022

682 by eblf2013 »»
Yesterday, 1:39 PM

» My Daemon ( 1 2 )

marcolacson - Nov 26, 2023

50 by veduHMY »»
Apr 23, 3:36 PM

» will the Scott Pilgrim anime be added to the database? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

GanjiTheDude - Mar 30, 2023

756 by YoshiYogurt »»
Apr 20, 1:12 PM

» Could we stop having Justin Cook at the start of every anime entry's staff list?

El-Melloi - Jul 29, 2023

10 by MadanielFL »»
Apr 20, 11:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.