Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 22, 2014 1:40 PM
Dec 2010
Just wanted to ask if its very sad.
And is it super sad like Clannad: AF or "only" teary like Angel Beats ?
greenmartyJan 22, 2014 1:44 PM
( Currently interested in OP MC genre. Recommendations are welcomed, preferable those yet not on my list )
Jan 22, 2014 5:20 PM

Jul 2010
greenmarty said:

Depends of you, bc I didn't feel Clannad AF was THAT sad as so many says. It's depends of how much you feel the thing and the characters.
Jan 23, 2014 1:50 AM
Dec 2010
NayukiShiina said:
greenmarty said:

Depends of you, bc I didn't feel Clannad AF was THAT sad as so many says. It's depends of how much you feel the thing and the characters.

I see so could you please try to compare the two of them? were they about same or one was lighter?
greenmartyJan 23, 2014 1:55 AM
( Currently interested in OP MC genre. Recommendations are welcomed, preferable those yet not on my list )
Jan 23, 2014 2:17 AM

Sep 2012
It's relative, and the show is pretty hit or miss because it's JC Staff.
You might love it, you might hate it, you might feel neutral. The results for how good this show is are pretty up in the air.
Jan 23, 2014 3:11 AM
Dec 2010
Vladz0r said:
You might love it, you might hate it, you might feel neutral. The results for how good this show is are pretty up in the air.

Reason why im asking is that i want to watch something relaxing not something too heavy due to having exams and other exhausting things to do. I need to relax mentally. Too sad stories usually wont allow me to do so but slightly sad stories are ok. Thats why i watch those at time when im already relaxed....

If its not that good as Clannad thats other matter. I only wanted to know about sadness simple as that.

Let me ask again did anyone who watched Clannad AF and (almost) cried at it felt this was even more sad or less sad ?????
greenmartyJan 23, 2014 3:38 AM
Jan 23, 2014 3:30 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Refrain is generally considered to be more sad than After Story if you compare their original visual novels. As far as their respective anime adaptations go... well AS had a better adaptation in general, so in that regard I'd still say it's the more emotional of the two anime-wise. That being said Refrain isn't too far behind even in its anime, but yes it is somewhat individual in the end regarding how hard these kind of things hit you.
Jan 23, 2014 3:36 AM
Dec 2010
HaXXspetten said:
Refrain is generally considered to be more sad than After Story if you compare their original visual novels. As far as their respective anime adaptations go... well AS had a better adaptation in general, so in that regard I'd still say it's the more emotional of the two anime-wise. That being said Refrain isn't too far behind even in its anime, but yes it is somewhat individual in the end regarding how hard these kind of things hit you.

Thank you for your explanation. That's about what i needed to know :)
Jan 23, 2014 11:34 AM
Jul 2011
For me, Little Busters was sadder than Clannad AS. I found that I felt that the music in LB! was a bit more emotional than Clanand AS. Not a by a lot though.
Just my 2 cents.
Jan 23, 2014 11:36 AM

Nov 2010
No, Clannad was way sadder. LB's ending isn't even surprising at all.
Jan 23, 2014 12:51 PM

Sep 2012
Daily reminder:
Little Busters VN >>>>> Clannad anime > Little Busters anime

IntroverTurtle said:
LB's ending isn't even surprising at all.

If you follow Key back from their first nakige titles, most of their endings should be pretty unsurprising. The nakige format itself (with few exceptions) guarantees
Vladz0rJan 23, 2014 1:06 PM
Jan 24, 2014 12:42 AM
Dec 2010
Yeah im not surprised by that it has (comedic,romantic and ) sad part i only wanted to know how much sad it was.
Anyway from all of your posts it seems to be comparable with After story "anime-wise" and in level of sadness of sad part. For some it's stronger for others weaker. In most cases it's close to it.

Nakige - meaing( if someone wasn't following VN world that closely)
greenmartyJan 24, 2014 12:52 AM
Jan 24, 2014 1:00 AM

Oct 2013
It's sad and it's good if you give it a chance. Just don't expect river of tears like in Clannad AS but it is pretty good anime-wise. Just watch the anime without worrying whether it will be sad or not.
Jan 24, 2014 1:39 AM
Dec 2010
-Riptide- said:
It's sad and it's good if you give it a chance. Just don't expect river of tears like in Clannad AS but it is pretty good anime-wise. Just watch the anime without worrying whether it will be sad or not.

And i will , i was waiting for this another keys anime adaptation for quite a long time im big fun of anime based on their work but i cant watch right away bc >>
greenmarty said:

Reason why im asking is that i want to watch something relaxing not something too heavy due to having exams and other exhausting things to do. I need to relax mentally. Too sad stories usually wont allow me to do so but slightly sad stories are ok. Thats why i watch those at time when im already relaxed....

If its not that good as Clannad thats other matter. I only wanted to know about sadness simple as that.
greenmartyJan 24, 2014 1:43 AM
Jan 24, 2014 1:49 AM

Oct 2013
If your gonna watch anime to relieve your stress then it is better for you to watch comedy animes that doesn't taje themselves seriously. Those types of animes would be a better stress reliever
Jan 24, 2014 4:37 AM

Sep 2012
greenmarty said:

Nakige - meaing( if someone wasn't following VN world that closely)

Yeah, and the kicker is that Jun Maeda, Itaru Hinoue, and Shinji Orito, who are all presently part of KEY (made Clannad, LB, and such) were the original core staff of Tactics. Jun Maeda and Naoki Hisaya are considered pioneers in the genre.
Jan 24, 2014 11:35 AM
Dec 2010
-Riptide- said:
If your gonna watch anime to relieve your stress then it is better for you to watch comedy animes that doesn't taje themselves seriously. Those types of animes would be a better stress reliever

Thats why i asked this question in 1st place. E.g (spoiler allert on clikcing) Angel Beats is more comedic and less sad then Clannad AF
greenmartyJan 24, 2014 11:47 AM
Feb 17, 2014 4:24 AM

Aug 2012
Vladz0r said:

True,it depends on how you see it . As for me I feel like the emotional scene were not as intense as i'd expect . But that's just me,i still enjoy the show . But,i feel refreshing rather than tearing up.
Feb 18, 2014 3:06 AM

Dec 2007
The Little Busters! VN handles the drama much better. I believe that one Masato Refrain scene was the first time I cried from Japanese entertainment. In the anime it was handled in a much less dramatic way, and that was kinda a miss for me.

I almost never shed tears from entertainment in general.
Feb 18, 2014 3:32 AM
Mar 2011
For me it was the same level of sadness, since i didn't read the VN for Little Busters! the sad scenes still had an impact on me. Hope this helps you decide whether you want to watch it or not.
Feb 26, 2014 2:51 PM

Mar 2012
It is sad.

It is not "super sad" like Clannad AS, it is sadder than Angel Beats since there was nothing sad about that show.

You might tear up once near the end of the series.
Aug 14, 2014 9:21 AM

Mar 2012
greenmarty said:
Vladz0r said:

Let me ask again did anyone who watched Clannad AF and (almost) cried at it felt this was even more sad or less sad ?????

To be honest, I found Little Busters: Refrain to be tougher to watch than Clannad: After Story...in terms of sadness and heaviness. That's not a slight at Clannad AS or a boast of LB Refrain. I do think Clannad AS is the superior anime. I just found LB Refrain to be "heavier."

LB Refrain is extremely sad. I'd say structurally it's pretty similar to Clannad in that it's first season is cheery and heartwarming while it's second season tears your heart out from your chest. The same goes for LB Refrain. The first series has it's dramatic moments, but it's more cheery and uplifting. LB Refrain is much heavier and focuses on a darker, more ominous plot behind the scenes. It's a series that explains that not everything is as it seems and the "truth" that lies underneath it all is far more painful for someone to bear. Even my heart sank and landed with a "thud" when I found out the plot twist in LB Refrain.

I know these original posts were from a long time ago, but I hope you gave LB Refrain a chance once all your finals were over and you had the opportunity to watch something that would make you think. Refrain is a GREAT series. It's emotionally gripping and will tug at your heart strings, but it's still worth the watch. I know I voted it my best anime of 2013 when I put together my list, even putting it ahead of Shingeki no Kyojin and Monogatari Series: Second Season. It's THAT good!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Little Busters!: Refrain Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 28, 2013

538 by PepegasLand »»
Apr 19, 12:46 PM

» Is it likely Little Busters Refrain will reach top 5 in MAL? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Aversa - Oct 3, 2013

308 by polarbeararmy »»
Apr 16, 8:53 AM

Poll: » Little Busters!: Refrain Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 14, 2013

351 by FUNNYDOGE »»
Apr 13, 12:16 PM

Poll: » Little Busters!: Refrain Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 5, 2013

391 by Remurst »»
Apr 9, 2:48 AM

» How good?

kam1n0 - Dec 12, 2021

21 by Donkunsan »»
Apr 2, 2023 3:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.