Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jan 10, 2011 12:05 PM

Dec 2008
I thought the ending was great. I cried when Oji and Lyuze died. Now Casshern is all alone. But, I'm glad that he got to experience happiness. Seeing Casshern's smile is like heaven!
Aug 12, 2011 2:57 PM
Aug 2011
Is it possible that it will be more shows about Casshern in the future, since he left Ringo and Friender behind?
Sep 4, 2011 9:48 AM

May 2010
I wasn't happy with the end. I think Episode 23 should have been the last episode, because even though it leaves more questions unanswered, it was more human, if that makes any sense. I basically mean that the whole "become a god of death" thing is too over-the-top for me. It goes from a personal and intimate feeling to a superhero ending that feels a bit contrived.

Still though, I really liked this series a ton!
“Money can't buy dere”
Dec 7, 2011 1:38 PM
Sep 2011
What a great series, I'm truly glad that I discovered this gem. This anime doesn't only shine in the art department but also story- and characterwise. It definitely left a huge impression on me.
Jan 17, 2012 8:03 AM

Aug 2011
I absolutely loved the art and soundtrack in this anime, both were amazing and the fight scene were epic. The story was also great, although it felt to me that some of it could have been executed and explained (more back story etc.) a bit better I guess. The ending kind of left me a little unsatisfied but only a little. But overall a great series, and a great feel to it.
Johnface11Jan 18, 2012 9:39 PM
Mar 5, 2012 8:36 PM
Jan 2012
Well. That felt very rushed.
Jul 25, 2012 9:24 AM
Sep 2011
I think that the main message is the problem is not about "Hot" being better than "Cold" but having a balance point between both.

When Luna rejected Dune,Ringo ran away from her and cassher said "Ringo can detect what is unnatural".

On my opinion the whole plot of the show is resumed when Luna talks that eternal life is a spring,and Cassher says that this is not the only truth,that people that was ruining was more like a Blaze,so ignoring Death was ignoring a part of life,and being incomplete. Ringo as the next generation would be able to choose when to die,and when to live because she was aware of this contradiction between immortality and mortality.

Putting it on a simple way,the more intelligent you become on a game,more predictable and boring it becomes.So you slowly stop to loose your appreciation for it,and living without appreciation is worst than living like a blaze,but obviously if you understood this contradiction,you would realize that the other extreme would also be unnatural.
Aug 2, 2012 11:52 PM

Jan 2012
Personally I think this episode is great and I gave the show an overall 10/10.
Aug 23, 2012 8:10 PM
Aug 2012
The point of the ending was.. death is a part of life.
Without death there is no life. He even gives them a warning, if they forget about death.. he will come back and kill.

Ringo can detect what's un-natural. Ringo ran away from Luna. Luna = unnatural because they reject death, and through that.. people have no value in life.

Consider you being alive forever.. you wouldn't live your life to the fullest. People forget that they can die, and they waste away their lives. The purpose of this ending was to show that death has come, and death can come to the weakest, and to the strongest. That the point of living.. is to live and not waste your time.

In the show.. the ruined robots huddled together and lived together, and such. They were taught total vulnerablility that they can't "live forever" that way.. they appreciate life.
They then get ruined and it's natural. But the robots that go to luna.. live forever. They don't die.. but they don't exactly get to live because they don't have an ending and they don't use up their time the way they should have.

But all-in-all.. a great show in total. The message is clear and it just had stories to go along to the message.
Aug 31, 2012 9:15 PM
Aug 2012
I was not happy at all with this episode. I hated the facts that Lyuze died, Casshern wander the Earth and be the "God of Death",leaving Ringo and Friender behind, and Lyuze died!-_- they killed the best female character on this show. And then that obviously ends the greatest anime relationship ever. Damn this episode sucked.
Oct 2, 2012 5:39 PM
Mar 2009
So Ooji dies just like that? Meh.

Geezus, psycho-Luna's actions are so strange. She heals some robots one day and the very next day, she'll order out a murderous rampage.

What. WHAT. Lyuze dies just like that also? No kiss? I was seriously expecting some form of a kiss before she died.

That was mighty quick of Casshern to throw away the creed he made last episode of not killing/fighting anymore. Also seems like his horn won't regenerate.

So Braiking Boss was only trying to atone for what he did? Somewhat rushed way to tell us.

Felt kind of cliched when Casshern became the God of Death.

So...Ringo's headband fell off. Is she human or what? I'm amazed she matured so quickly and that the deaths of Ooji and Lyuze had a rather positive impact on her.

That was a good show. Dat soundtrack and art.
Oct 30, 2012 6:29 PM
Oct 2012
On the Luna note:

She as Ohji states granted death not life originally. She did this by granting normal life spans to humans (robots also began worshiping her) . This is because she originally thought death gave life meaning. Yes throughout the beginning she is referred to as the savior of life but this is referring to true life with the understanding of death.

(It should be noted. Luna was created by humans as a savior because they were nearing extinction due to the persecution of Braiking Boss. He was persecuting the humans because they had found a way to live eternally and he disliked this due to his controlling ambitions)

Since Braiking Boss was selfish/arrogant he did not appreciate his victims and eventually his own flocking to Luna as their savior rather than him. Thus he ordered her death. Ironically this causes the death inside her to pretty much contaminate the land, ultimately rendering Braiking Boss' plans useless with the now present ruin.

This explains why Braiking Boss is so angry at Casshern originally, he does not accept his sins or responsibility for causing the ruin. Instead he places the blame on Casshern even though it was his order.

"Killing" Luna causes her for some reason to repulse death when she returns. Thus becoming a morally ambiguous character compared to how she was painted originally. On one hand she wants eternal life and people that have it to enjoy it. But on the other hand, anyone who is too far dead (or reeks of death as she puts it) she heartlessly casts aside. Essentially she has gone from actually caring about the lives of others (and meanings of them) to rather selfishly only caring about her fear of the death that surrounds her.

This brings us to the ending, Casshern realizes it was his fault Lyuze died as she chose to follow his set of beliefs about the importance of death (even though he cannot die). He now realizes not only the importance death has on someone actually living out their life, but also the cruel nature of death at the hands of the ruin. He finally appreciates Luna's ability to give life, even if he disagrees with eternal life.

SO he promises to return if people begin to abuse eternal life and lose sight of the possibility of death. Making him a God of Death (interestingly enough what Dune was referred to as) and Luna a giver of life.

The only thing left in the open is really if Luna will continue to remove those she views to reek of death.

Sorry for the novel. Hope someone finds it useful or wants to have a convo about it. Definitely not claiming to be the end all on this. Overall 9.5/10 very Terrence Malick like in the understated dialogue, philosophical questioning, and beautiful settings
KillCasshernOct 30, 2012 6:39 PM
Nov 4, 2012 9:03 AM

Feb 2011
sudosamurai said:
On the Luna note:

This is pretty much how I interpreted it.

I also think, without the threat of death, Casshern could never fully understand the fear and emotions of the robots who actually faced death. I don't think it was until the very end, the last moments he was able to spend with Lyuze and the rest of his adopted "family," so to speak, that he was able to make that full connection. He also felt the true pain of losing life to the ruin because it was someone he cared so deeply for who had died.

By essentially becoming the Grim Reaper he could ensure that no one would forget that death always looms around the corner. He's kind of like a boogie man now, ensuring kids behave themselves, or in this case, ensuring life is never taken for granted.

The one thing that really bugged me was the lack of info on the stone Ringo received. Is that what completed her so that she could live out life like a human? I took the old rusted headband as a symbol of her breaking away from the ruin, but how? Did it have to do with her outlook on life and become a psychological thing? That would explain how others like her would come, although it contradicts the full lives lived by robots who did die from the ruin. Or was it the stone? Or maybe it's because she was a second generation robot like other people have mentioned that she survived the ruin?

All in all, the anime itself was beautiful, though I felt the series became less clear as it progressed. It certainly gets you thinking, though. 7/10
NikokoNov 4, 2012 6:13 PM
Nov 5, 2012 3:41 PM
Oct 2012
Nikoko said:

The one thing that really bugged me was the lack of info on the stone Ringo received. Is that what completed her so that she could live out life like a human? I took the old rusted headband as a symbol of her breaking away from the ruin, but how? Did it have to do with her outlook on life and become a psychological thing? That would explain how others like her would come, although it contradicts the full lives lived by robots who did die from the ruin. Or was it the stone? Or maybe it's because she was a second generation robot like other people have mentioned that she survived the ruin?

All in all, the anime itself was beautiful, though I felt the series became less clear as it progressed. It certainly gets you thinking, though. 7/10

Yea maybe I missed something as well but it totally felt like they had this idea with the stone, and then just completely scrapped it. They never really did anything major (or anything at all if I recall correctly) with it after that episode.
Nov 6, 2012 1:09 AM

Jul 2008
Yeah I'm all for artsy styles, but I feel like this story was going in one direction, then changed their minds more than midway through and ended with a convoluted mess with its fair share of plot holes (rainbow stone?).

Casshern and Lyuze I thought were very well fleshed out characters as was Ohji, but I thought the villains needed more like Dio Luna and Braiking Boss. I thought they came across as either shallow or confusing motivations.

Again maybe its just me.

Final score 5/10. This had so much potential, but I thought it was just executed terribly.
Nov 16, 2012 12:12 PM
Nov 2012
sudosamurai said:
Luna was created by humans as a savior because they were nearing extinction

So Luna was created to save humans from extinction...By taking away their immortal lives and enabling their extinction.

Might want to rethink that...

At the time of Braiking Boss' rule, humans had become immortal. It's more likely Luna served as a means to escape an eternity of Braiking's oppression by rendering them mortal again.
XatokNov 16, 2012 1:14 PM
Nov 16, 2012 1:20 PM
Nov 2012
WolfWood37 said:
I thought they came across as either shallow or confusing motivations.

That's because their motivations WERE shallow. It's deliberate. Dio just wanted to beat up the guy that always one-upped him. Luna just wanted to get rid of this thing (death) that she didn't like. Motives like children.

And Braiking Boss just wanted to end the Ruin, same as Casshern. But where Casshern's motive came from guilt, his motive came from wanting to re-establish his empire, which he couldn't effectively do in a ruined world of rusting henchmen. Again, a shallow motive, but deliberately so because he was a shallow, selfish tyrant.
Nov 19, 2012 8:23 AM
Oct 2012
Xatok said:
sudosamurai said:
Luna was created by humans as a savior because they were nearing extinction

So Luna was created to save humans from extinction...By taking away their immortal lives and enabling their extinction.

Might want to rethink that...

At the time of Braiking Boss' rule, humans had become immortal. It's more likely Luna served as a means to escape an eternity of Braiking's oppression by rendering them mortal again.

Yea you are right lol completely flubbed that sentence.
Jan 10, 2013 1:20 PM

Aug 2012
This serie was well I don't really know

It was deep black interesting but....weird.

A very good lesson on life, death, immortality, shortness of life and carpe diem.

I enjoyed it, though there is lots of questions unanswered at the end.

It's definitely not for everyone but still good.

7/10
Jan 14, 2013 10:41 PM

Dec 2012
The show was meant to leave you with questions.

It's kind of interesting, the dynamic between Luna and Casshern is sort of like a God and a Grim Reaper.

Casshern will return to kill Luna if they forget the people who died before them.

I still think the ending was underwhelming, the show was good but definitely not perfect. 8/10.
Jan 24, 2013 12:23 PM

Dec 2012
Good show, too bad it is underrated
Feb 22, 2013 4:53 AM

Mar 2010
First half was following a pattern that delivered pretty much the same message over and over. Casshern finds a girl, helps her, fights some robots, girls falls in love with him (or drops hints of that), they part. Second half was better but it felt as if it expected us to have prior knowledge of several events what looks like plot holes since it was never explained. But I still really liked the fact that Casshern found Dio one of those who lived to fullest and I also liked that they realised that death is natural and should happen. I also liked that they didn't pretend life doesn't suck but they emphasised that every one should find something that will make it worth living.

Still, several loose ends left hanging and a messy ending "moral". So, the whole 24 episodes we are taught that death is normal and that people should live their life to the fullest not trying to be immortal yet at the very end Casshern goes like: "Sure, just make everyone immortal if they like, whatever." after killing tens of robots for no apparent reason (since he just wanted to chat with Luna). For a guy that hates fighting and killing that feels... weird. The rainbow-y stone had no meaning considering what a big deal it was, it was never really explained how there will be "born" robots, considering that the only 3 robots that could have children were out of the picture, the whole thing didn't really get a conclusion, Luna's behaviour was left just like that, Casshern acted as if he learnt nothing during the whole thing and we have no idea what happened to him, where he went or what he did (considering that we were following him and his point of view for 24 episodes it's just... uhh...). All in all weak ending for a slightly over average anime. 7/10
SuiNoByakkoFeb 22, 2013 5:00 AM
Feb 27, 2013 10:45 PM

Jan 2013
From what I can recall of the ending, Luna is meant to elongate the lives of robots affected by the Ruin for a while, not give them eternal life per se. Casshern on the other hand, is meant to be a martyr for teaching robot's how to value their own lives by acting as the god of death to help them acknowledge that they should live their lives with purpose for it will eventually expire. Both of their existences serve to better the ephemeral lives of robots by perpetuating their deity-like existences and purposes. If Luna were to die, all robots would lose hope and resort to wanting to eat Casshern in lieu of the series' 1st episode. The presence of Luna is meant to serve as a symbol of hope while Casshern is meant to intimidate so that the robots don't misinterpret Luna's patronage and over-indulge and perhaps cause anarchy thus grounding their views and ensuring longer (but not endless) lives with more happiness and purpose. Given that Luna is blessed with the power of healing whereas Casshern is not, the latter takes it upon himself to be death while telling Luna to fulfill her duties of giving a gleam of hope. So if Casshern died in some way, people would be abusing Luna's power and if Luna died, the world would attempt to eat a god and subsequently cause a chain of robots seeking absolution with them all vying for eternal life. Sure it's selfish that Casshern chooses to continue living, but he does so at the cost of being the center of hatred and fear, only to help people live more meaningful lives. Think about it; if some people lived for eternity they would either bide time and use minimal effort on everything, abuse their power and/or get fed up with everything, but with death looming over, we try to make the most of what little time we are given.
Mar 27, 2013 5:55 AM
Jul 2011
Should have ended in episode 23, the last episode ruined the very well done rest for me.
May 21, 2013 5:38 PM
Aug 2011
Good Riddance to this garbage: 3/10.

On the plus side, I did like some of the visuals, Friender, and Jin. Shame that we didn't see more of Jin.

Lyuze should have died 24 episodes ago and Luna was a horrible character as well.
Dec 24, 2013 5:15 PM

Aug 2012
Another disappointment for me, as the first part was brilliant and the second part felt like a wasted potential. It all went downhill when the show abandoned its episodic structure in favor of some unneeded characters' development... And in the end all this buildup led nowhere. Man, this show is like DRRR...

Too bad all the characters from the first part were never shown again. I wanted to see Sophita so much...
And poor guy Friender, he remained useless till the end without any development.
Feb 21, 2014 6:49 PM

May 2012
So well that was the end, I wasn't expecting too much from this anime but it was somewhat decent I guess. The overall anime was okay, the pacing was horrible and some episodes were just pure boring but then others had great story or character development that with the unique art style and story line does gave us a pretty decent anime!

All by all I was not a huge fan but I can't deny that this is a pretty decent anime!

Let's see what the alternative settings have to offer us!
RafaelDeJonghFeb 21, 2014 7:30 PM
Mar 6, 2014 5:35 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I'm a bit dissapointed to be honest. The art was beautiful, characters stylish, the soundtrack is good and they did a great job of creating a believable setting, with the all pervasive feeling of ruin surrounding the characters. And the story drew me in for the most part of the series, but then it all came undone. Characters contradicted themselves or lost their meaning completely, questions were made and never answered and sometimes some latter episodes felt as repetition of things that had come before. A triumph of style over substance for me.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

May 3, 2014 12:10 AM
Jun 2013
This anime is just one big meh.somethings not explained and it just feels like it ends.It was long winded as well with its talking.Only thing that was good that kept me coming was the animation,fights and I like that 1 song that the lady sang.If you want a good robot anime that deals with questiioning life and such try to find android kikaider it curb stomps this anime.
Sep 25, 2014 12:29 AM

Nov 2011
You know, it's bad to say "plot hole" all the time, everywhere, just because you didn't understand, because that's basically what CASSHERN Sins was: hard to understand.

Confusing.

Either because the messages they wished to convey were almost always implied, or because people use the wrong logic in approaching the events at face value.

My balls just busted when I watched the ED for the last time, because I realised something in the lyrics. I'm sure that this was planned, otherwise they wouldn't just have a random song with such lyrics as the ED. The guy sings about wanting to change, and staying the way he is; wanting to be happy, and wanting to be unhappy; not wanting to be alone, and wanting to be alone.

"For the living contradiction that I am, please forgive me."

Casshern says he will never kill again, and eventually kills all those robots when they went for him in the next ep (this ep). And although this is absolutely unrelated as I am just stringing up some things from other references: there are certain lyrics in the OP of Kuuchuu Buranko that go like "aimai wa tsumi ni naru" or translated, "ambiguity is a sin." Yes it's random, but I was just thinking that maybe there's a whole culture that we aren't aware of that really doesn't receive being ambiguous too well. The lyrics of CASSHERN Sins' ED perfectly describe this anime's conclusion.

And because of that realisation, I've decided that CASSHERN Sins may actually be MUCH, in fact, infinitely deeper than we all may have thought. I am not content because the series has been rather confusing and I may be missing a lot of points, such points like:

"Was Ringo a human all this time? Or was she of the likes of Casshern? She said at the end that she's probably the 'first to gain a life that will someday end in death' or in other words, the first robot to die naturally. But I recall in an earlier episode, when she and Ouji were atop a giant rock with a bed flowers, she had to wear a helmet which I believe aided in her breathing. Why would a robot need a breathing aid?"

"Is she Leda's daughter? If she is, was Ringo born human? Or was she born a robot like Leda, a robot who can breed? I don't really think she IS Leda's daughter. The only 3 robots who are capable of reproduction are apparently Casshern, Dio, and Leda, and taking into account how Leda said she wanted to have a child with Dio, it seems unlikely that she'd choose those words if she already had a previous child. Casshern was a killing machine, so he couldn't possibly have been the father either."

"What exactly was Luna's role? Is she another robot like Casshern who was created in lab (which explains the crystallised cells, which also explains why she "came back to life (regenerated like Casshern)")? What exactly does she think she has been doing all this time? What's this thing that was mentioned about the blood of life and death mixing? Is THAT what caused all shit to fuck up? Just because their blood happened to have made contact with each other? Is there some sort of mystical force in the universe that decided Luna is God who grants life, and Casshern is Satan who grants death? Why was Luna choosy with whom to give healing to? What does her blood do, exactly?"

Shaiza, man........

Though I really liked Jarmel's post as it seemed to have connect things sensibly (http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=73434&show=60#msg2990763), I still want to know the specific details about the things I questioned.
zetsu_shorenSep 25, 2014 7:01 AM
Oct 6, 2014 12:23 AM

Jul 2013
just finished watching Casshern Sins (they should've titled it Casshern Feels... those feels :'| ) , i liked the show, but i have some unanswered questions, too many ideas in this forum post. it would take time to read all of them, so is there anyone kind enough to answer these questions in a single comment?(english is not my native language so please bear with it)

1. who is ringo? is she a robot or a human? robots can neither grow, nor have blood, but she does. again in an episode (maybe 17/18) she had been seen wearing a breathing mask. a robot doesnt have to wear masks. but at the 1st episode she says ouji repaired her from her rust... and at the end of the series they show her rusted headband. so what is she actually?

2. i think ringo had some sort of connections with Leda(maybe her child?) Leda forgot about that for some kind of unknown reasons just like casshern did.

3. in episode 17 they find a crystal. i thought it would play a vital role in the main story, which it doesnt. so what is it actually?

4. why did casshern kick braiking boss's ass, while he boasted in the previous episode that he wont ever take anyone's life?
~thanks in advance :)
Arashi_kunOct 6, 2014 9:10 AM
Oct 27, 2014 4:14 PM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
Lot of questions and open-minded answers. Very mysterious and unique show.. really sad and depressing. But damn this was an hidden gem i managed to miss somehow. 10/10 really enjoyed this mood and theme of this anime.. love this type of anime (ex: serial experiments lain , mushishi, haibane renmei etc..) Not sure about re-watch value. This type of darker, deep etc.. anime I tend to avoid re-watching.
Jan 4, 2015 6:21 AM
Mar 2013
It was a great series for me. I don't agree at all with the notion of eternal life being wrong though.
Jan 14, 2015 1:58 PM

Aug 2012
Roychop said:
I don't agree at all with the notion of eternal life being wrong though.

Why? It's impossible to appreciate something when you have an abundance of it.
Jan 29, 2015 10:00 AM
Mar 2013
alpir said:
Roychop said:
I don't agree at all with the notion of eternal life being wrong though.

Why? It's impossible to appreciate something when you have an abundance of it.

Why you ask? I would rather live forever than rot away. And again I don't think living forever is a bad thing. You are still you and living as much as you always do (that whole stupid "live forever but are not truly living" nonsense I totally don't agree with).
RoychopMay 2, 2015 7:20 AM
Jul 3, 2015 1:10 AM

Feb 2015
Thoroughly enjoyed this. Nice visuals, great soundtrack, and a cast that feels fitting. There's a lot of interesting ideas that are brought into the show that added to the development of the cast and the world. The argument the ending made was to live with a meaning not just for the sake of staying alive. Casshern even says to Luna 'this place is full of life, but no one is living it.' Lyuze's feelings for Casshern are probably motivated by her acceptance of Ruin and knowing that her time is limited. If she was given eternal life, what purpose would staying close to Casshern have? She initially stayed around because he protected her. The show let the viewers see what people in the world were doing to spend their lives like Janice the singer, Niko the flower girl, etc.
devinderJul 3, 2015 1:45 PM
Aug 22, 2015 8:02 PM

Nov 2014
This show is the definition of boredom and unnecessary philosophical bullshit.

Aug 25, 2015 4:10 PM

Mar 2014
Seriously enjoyed this series. I can see why many may find it uninteresting with the plot but the emotions and characters did it for me.

Damn I knew their deaths were coming but still wasn't ready, Lyuze ;_;

And now Casshern is alone as Ringo grows up, I wonder if they ever see each-other again? I'd like to see that but I guess I never will...

This may have left me feeling sad but it still left me feeling which to me makes it a good anime ^_^
Trash mammal
Jan 7, 2016 2:11 AM

Jan 2013
9/10 Quite a few flaws, but I still loved it.
Jan 29, 2016 7:42 AM

Feb 2013
I find myself interested that so much people hated the overall message and "style over substance". It has one plot hole about the stone, but having everything answered with indubitableness is not always a good way to convey feeling towards the audience.

It was quite a beautiful metaphor about the meaning of death, for without it life bears no structure, becoming amorphous at best.
Feb 27, 2016 4:01 AM
Oct 2014
I liked the tone, style, and music. It has that retro, classic 80s/90s anime feel to it. The anime was an abstract one, heavily relying on its themes to carry the narrative as opposed to following science and logic.

It never fully explained what the Ruin was but implied that Luna's first death caused it. Initially she was granting human lifespans to robots, allowing them to die. And when Casshern killed her the first time, this was spread throughout the world (somehow). So the Ruin is just robots dying of natural causes.

The new Luna, after having experienced death and now fearing it, no longer wishes to grant death but give eternal life to those that seek it. Of course, there's a level of unnaturalism to having eternal life and as that town full of loopy robots displayed.

So the whole anime hinges on the concepts of what it means to live and what it means to die as demonstrated by the various robots Casshern encounters on his odyssey.
Mar 24, 2016 3:45 AM

Jul 2007
AnimeAndy said:

It never fully explained what the Ruin was but implied that Luna's first death caused it. Initially she was granting human lifespans to robots, allowing them to die. And when Casshern killed her the first time, this was spread throughout the world (somehow). So the Ruin is just robots dying of natural causes.

Not natural.

Too much of anything is abnormal. What Luna was doing at first was somewhat balanced - bringing the mortality to those who want it. However the world became obsessed with her, worshiping her as an absolute savior which led to Casshern killing her, which in turn spread that power of death to absolutely everything in the world. Suddenly, instead of death happening to those it was meant for, it was happening everywehre - and just like with eternal life, that ended up twisting its original meaning.

That's what Ruin is. Finality that lost any sort of meaning.

The new Luna, after having experienced death and now fearing it, no longer wishes to grant death but give eternal life to those that seek it. Of course, there's a level of unnaturalism to having eternal life and as that town full of loopy robots displayed.

Correct. Luna changes her position after experiencing what she did.It does not mean that granting death was wrong,but it means that now fromher perception it was wrong.
She was a being granting mortality in an eternal world.
She is now a being granting eternal life to the dying world.

That's what Sun Named Moon Means - contradiction between Day and Night, Sun and Moon,Life and death - the roles Luna switches between.

Killing her is not an answer as it would start the cycle all over again - the world would overflow with eternal life till "Luna" eventually would appear, disgusted with concept of eternal life and start bringing death.

So to compensate for that and to balance it out, Casshern has to become the opposite - in order to keep balance between concepts and to prevent history from repeating.

Casshern fulfills the same role he did through the show, the same thing he was good at -bringing death to where he goes. So even the world saved from over-abundant and twisted abnormal death retains the fear of the concept, placing eternity of life and finality of death intoa sort of balance.

The Old World fell due to immortal being's obsession with death bringing ruin to their civilization in form of overwhelming death.
The Ruined World fell due to the despair such situation created and the obsession with life that the situation presented.

In the epilogue of Balanced World, now people can't be obsessed with immortality(obsessing over Luna, who represents life now) or stop fearing death(like it happened in the old world), because there's a religious figure, a mythological being of faith, that represents their finality.
At the same time they can't be obsessed or driven insane by concept of death, because in shadow of Casshern's looming presence, Luna exists as symbol of hope to counter it.

Thus neither Casshern nor Luna can go out of control and neither finality of death nor eternity of life overtakes each other. People live when they live and people die when they die.

The final message is that there's no meaning of life and meaning of death,without them being intertwined. What happens in life makes death meaningful., What death ends makes what happened in life so precious.
AhenshihaelMar 24, 2016 3:50 AM
May 20, 2016 3:12 AM

Jan 2010

And there goes a year and a half worth of stalling.

All in all, I can't say everything worked out. I still have concerns over how blatant some of the imagery was, the manner which plot points and character goals strung along, and whether the darkening of the series was truly necessary.

That being said, I liked everything else. Back when I started Casshern Sins, I used the phrase "the beautiful void" to describe the series, and I think it still holds true. The series truly is full of atmosphere - an oppressive one which looms over your head like a dark cloud. Of course, the series does get full of itself at times, where it reveled in its aesthetics and prose until it became uncomfortably self-serving. But, for when the series hit its high marks, I was truly impressed.
Jun 23, 2016 6:04 AM

Dec 2012
Watched all 24 episodes, and still anime made ZERO sense to me :( If the idea of the anime was that the eternal life is pointless, then it was executed very badly, because the only feeling that I got from this anime is that Ruin is sad and needs to end.
Aug 1, 2016 12:15 PM
Dec 2014
roy1751 said:
style over substance

That's fair. The style is amazing though, nice VAs and the story isn't completely retarded like most anime these days.
Aug 8, 2016 4:50 PM

Jun 2016
welp a bad ending to an equally bad show.. So Casshern breaks his word to never fight again, and goes on a killing spree for no reason... I guess his reason for killing The Boss guy was to clean up loose ends? Any other reason? I guess the fact that a few of the main characters died in this episode is reason enough to consider it a happy ending by Cassherns own standards...

Sorry I just really didn't like this show! xD
Aug 17, 2016 7:54 PM

Aug 2016
Reminded me a lot of The Big O.

I loved all of it.

It's always hard when characters you've come to like get killed off, but that's the story. Without potential to lose, is it really all that valuable?

Beauty is temporary, and that's why it's beautiful.
There is a deepness in the sky. So high, so low, so many things to know.
Aug 24, 2016 3:40 PM

Jun 2011
When you watch a philosophical series filled with symbolism and whatnot, people tend to get poetic with their comments..

Maybe I just don't get it, but like most people here, I prefer the first half over the second half. The theme was presented with a clear intention, and it is easily understandable, allowing you to focus more on the emotional aspect, rather than the logical side.

The series started off really slow, and picked up around episode 8, and it was an emotional ride until midway of the series, where the plot kicked in. Not too fond of Lyuze's story, nor Luna's characterization, nor Dio's motivation (his resolution was great though), nor Leda's goal, everything in the second half of the series was generally meh for me.

The ending is fine/complete, but I would love to see more. I've really enjoyed the relationship between Friender, Casshern, and Ringo.A sequel would be great, would love to see that kind of fate would befall a ruined world.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Aug 29, 2016 6:41 PM

Oct 2009
Roychop said:
It was a great series for me. I don't agree at all with the notion of eternal life being wrong though.

exactly my thoughts
Sep 29, 2016 2:27 AM

Mar 2016
Wow a very good show. . . Love its dark tone, unique art style, soundtrack, theme and characters monologue and self-introspection. . . This show reminded me a lot of Ergo Proxy, but this show has more emotional and touching moments which make it better than Ergo (for me). . .

But there are some flaws in the story and the secondhalf of serie kinda rushed

Overall : 8/10
"People who don't see that anime has changed are either wearing "glasses" or watching only a certain type (and or era) of anime"
"Having a low mean score doesn't necessarily mean one doesn't enjoy anime. Rating system is not a school grading system."
"Elitist is people who think he is superior than others. Not necessarily ones who insulting/critisizing your favorite anime or people who enjoy a certain type of anime"
"Fanboy is people who translating "your favorite anime is shit" into "you are shit".
"Being a fanboy is an indication of elitism"
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Casshern Sins Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

slayer545-sama - Nov 20, 2008

92 by GabrielWhite »»
Feb 15, 10:33 PM

Poll: » Casshern Sins Episode 22 Discussion

shoxk - Mar 8, 2009

36 by P_e_r_i »»
Dec 19, 2023 7:17 AM

Poll: » Casshern Sins Episode 20 Discussion

dbaranyi - Feb 18, 2009

28 by FireRifle64 »»
Dec 7, 2023 10:42 AM

Poll: » Casshern Sins Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 )

dbaranyi - Feb 4, 2009

93 by FireRifle64 »»
Dec 2, 2023 7:59 PM

Poll: » Casshern Sins Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

angel999 - Oct 16, 2008

94 by FireRifle64 »»
Nov 24, 2023 9:21 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.