Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Higurashi When They Cry: Dice Killing Arc
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Apr 3, 2009 10:05 AM

Jul 2008
Wow, this episode was weird :0 I can just imagine how Rika is feeling since there is pretty much things which aren't possible. Satoshi and Reina at the same time, no idea of Tanako and Irie (+ Hinamizawa syndrome) but there was no Keiichi so game was already over ? And Satoko and Rika don't get along ?!

So waiting forward the next episode ! Seems interesting.

Apr 3, 2009 10:54 AM

Dec 2007
I have no idea what's going on and I'm loving it.

#NBHNC
Apr 3, 2009 12:10 PM

Dec 2008
Oooh, It's getting good again!

~Abs
Apr 3, 2009 1:17 PM
Dec 2007
What makes Ryuichi 07 such a FANTASTIC scenarist is that he can make the most outrageous things happen to his (wonderful) characters and still retain a great coherence as well as build up thrilling suspense at the same time. A true master chess player of a scenarist, always two or three turns ahead of his spectator, and the atmosphere helps a lot to immerse in his series. Well, the script of Rei is just stunning and perfect once again, I don't know what to say honestly. I'll just shut my mouth, calm my brains, and wait for the next OVA I guess.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Apr 3, 2009 5:23 PM

Jan 2008
mickey1372492 said:
is it subbed yet?

yup, subbed ^^

http://www.zomganime.com/anime/higurashi-no-naku-koro-ni-rei/
Apr 3, 2009 5:34 PM

Jun 2008
Japayuki said:
Honestly.. when Rika died by getting hit by the car after she got done saying, "Yay! We finally escaped from all the misery and sorrow etc etc" I could not help but laugh.

I giggled at that part. I love seeing her die =D
Apr 3, 2009 8:26 PM

Jan 2009
hirahira said:
Japayuki said:
Honestly.. when Rika died by getting hit by the car after she got done saying, "Yay! We finally escaped from all the misery and sorrow etc etc" I could not help but laugh.

I giggled at that part. I love seeing her die =D

Me too ;DD you could really see it coming a mile away which made it all the more hilarious.
Apr 3, 2009 10:19 PM

Sep 2008
Woah, that was a killer episode. Damn, its painful to have to wait so long for the next episode.
Apr 4, 2009 2:50 AM

Sep 2008
Yeah...it's "normal" again ^^!~!
I want to see more psycho Rena (Reina?)!~!
oxo.anime.xox.manga.oxo.
Apr 4, 2009 10:33 AM
Jun 2008
I seriously liked this episode it was somewhat scary when Rena I mean Reina screamed to Rika...
Can't wait for next episode and some more explanations for everything that happened
Apr 4, 2009 1:06 PM

Mar 2009
ukonkivi said:

Also, I'm starting to think this "Rei" in Higurashi no Naku Koro ni will center around REIna. As in Ryuugu Reina. Who appears to not have changed her name to Rena yet.

I disagree. Rei can mean soul or ghost. I think it's refering to how deep in the past this takes place...but perhaps we'll find out in episode 3! Gah, monthly?? I can't handle this!!

And Reina is scary as hell in this! "What mutilated corpse incident?!"
LOL, soooo awesome.

I agree with everyone else - Keiichi NEEDS to be in this, or I'll be severely disappointed. I'll be quite happy if Satoshi can manage to survive though. Not sure why I have my doubts about that...

AWESOME episode!!
AmaiKawaiiApr 4, 2009 1:09 PM
Apr 4, 2009 1:22 PM

Apr 2007
Rei means gratitude. Hence why the English translation of the title is When They Cry Gratitude.
Apr 4, 2009 1:47 PM

Mar 2009
Yes, but it also means soul... (along with about 100 other things, lol - zero, example, companion, person (in a more vague sense than hito), ghost, etc,etc)
I think in all likelihood if there was a double meaning to the title, that would be the reference :-) That's just my personal thought though.
Apr 4, 2009 2:38 PM

Jan 2008
Wow, that accident part reminds me of these stupid comedy shows for some reason. ._. It was just... yeah, really lame. Me and my friend can't stop making jokes about it. You could just see it coming. XD Oh well, I still love my Higurashi. The rest of the episode was great, as expected. <3 But God, that accident part... okay okay, I'll stop about it. <_< Glad to see that we're not the only one who found that funny though. ^^

Also, (huge spoiler, don't read unless you want to know what'll happen)
Apr 5, 2009 12:55 AM

Jul 2008
damn just when you think you've won, they change the game on you, how will rika win this new scenario???
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Apr 6, 2009 6:23 AM

Mar 2008
The second episode was nothing like the first one. PHEW. I was scared there for a second.

Btw am I the only one who jumped when Rika was asking Rena about the mutilated bodies incident, and Rena turned around and her face twisted in anger?
Apr 6, 2009 7:17 AM

Jan 2008
Oh shi-, what's happening D:
Apr 6, 2009 4:39 PM

Jul 2008
Someone know if there's an english translation of the visual novel, and if yes where to find it?

Awesome episode.
Tough it made me laugh when the old lady told Rika that she is young, she's way older than her xD.

I have so many speculation to what's happening, I haven't fell like that since I saw the TV series, good stuff.

Am I wrong if I remember Hanyu telling Rika that she could revive her one last tiime at the end of kai? That if she couldn't beat Takano this time it would have been the end for her?
It all get me to think that either Rei is Rika's nightmare who didn't died by the accident or that Hanyu did sometime at the last second, either send her in a random world before she got hit by the truck or either pushed her limit and revived Rika one last time at a high cost, I don't hope her life.
Apr 6, 2009 5:37 PM

Feb 2008
Embah said:
Do want:
RenaReina?'s scary face

That cool? :P
Get it bigger here
Apr 6, 2009 5:44 PM

Jul 2008
BakaOnna said:
Rei means gratitude. Hence why the English translation of the title is When They Cry Gratitude.

Rei means this, Rei means that, I'm bored to hear all those who think they are right when they don't even know for sure if they are.

Rei can mean a lot of things, a word in japanese doesn't have only one meaning, context can change it as well as how it is written (Yeah you can write a word differently with the same pronounciation and they will means differents thing).

I'm still wondering where to get the visual novel, that suck =/.
Apr 7, 2009 3:47 AM

Jul 2008
woah so a completly peaceful world, i cant imagine this~~

Apr 7, 2009 5:14 AM

Sep 2007
I honestly found this episode kinda' boring. Which is surprising, because I even liked the Akasaka arc...
Apr 7, 2009 7:07 AM

May 2008
AmaiKawaii said:
Rei can mean soul or ghost.

Yep. I'm definitely aware of that. That was probably one of the first words I ever looked up in Japanese.

Even if it has nothing to do with it, I still think it's very interesting that on Higurashi Rei Rena is still called Reina.

The ominousness of this arc still hasn't left me.D: I think I'm probably more scared of this peaceful seeming arc than of any other arc. We lost EVERYTHING and have just enough time for everything to WORSE than they ever have.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Apr 7, 2009 10:39 AM

Nov 2007
there we go, this was the higurashi i have always loved. nice setup and plenty of variables already starting. and it seems we may get to see psycho rena again :D so scary.
Apr 7, 2009 11:23 AM

May 2008
I believe I already know why she's in that world. ._. Ah well, I still really enjoyed the episode.. Even though it's kinda boring without Keiichi there.. and why aren't Satoko and Rika friends ~ T-T?

And the title 'Rei' got nothing to do with the arcs. Believe me.. :\.. Well..

But still, it's not like Rena is the main character or something. It's just 'cause the bad things didn't happen, like, she probably didn't even leave Hinamizawa, so she didn't get the feeling that Oyashiro-sama followed her. O:
UshiromiyaApr 7, 2009 11:29 AM
Apr 7, 2009 6:06 PM

Jan 2009
NO CONFUSION!
Only thing is how Rika is going going to solve this...in those new settings.
Explanations of how things might be is to be said yet.
Apr 8, 2009 5:09 AM

Sep 2007
RyuuguuRenaz0r said:
Even though it's kinda boring without Keiichi there..

And Ooishi. And Irie. And Tomitake. And Akasaka. :(((
Apr 8, 2009 7:26 AM

May 2008
It was an ok episode, except for how Rika died.

The scene with Rena's scary face was just Rika's imagination because it's what she was expecting i think. Just like after her accident when the doctor came in and she thought it was Irie.
Apr 8, 2009 9:01 AM

Jun 2007
maxime1007 said:
Someone know if there's an english translation of the visual novel, and if yes where to find it?

I'm wondering too!
Apr 8, 2009 3:38 PM
Mar 2009
The way Rika died was rather dumb but that can be forgiven for the suspense that's building up!
Apr 8, 2009 4:48 PM
Jan 2008
Permidian said:

The scene with Rena's scary face was just Rika's imagination because it's what she was expecting i think. Just like after her accident when the doctor came in and she thought it was Irie.

Yeah that what I thought too...I guess nobody's going crazy in this timeline but who knows, we'll see.
Apr 9, 2009 10:20 PM

May 2008
Cruel fate!

Alpha_522 said:
Yeah that what I thought too...I guess nobody's going crazy in this timeline but who knows, we'll see.

Except maybe Rika -- though probably not murderously.
Apr 10, 2009 5:04 PM

May 2008
Alpha_522 said:
Permidian said:

I think it's Rika that will go crazy in this timeline because of things being so different than what she has been used to since like forever. she's already starting to get paranoid, she is gonna lose it and go all psycho imo...
Apr 10, 2009 5:26 PM

Dec 2008
thats why rika should listen to hanyuu before the accident happens... then goes back to the other world year 1985 i guess... XD
Apr 11, 2009 1:24 PM
Dec 2007
Basically, everyone did everything right from the start so there was "nothing" to beat. But now that she's thrown into a world in which she's lost. She knows nothing of what will come and she has no true friends anymore. She even lost her best friend.

So yeah, I think I agree with people here in something. Rika is likely going through the same process Keiichi went in the very first arc. So likely, the flash of Rena going psycho was likely all in Rika's head, the same way Keiichi pictured Rena and Mion as crazy.

Apr 11, 2009 9:01 PM

Nov 2008
What actually happened is....

I read up on all the arcs from the games, that's what it said
Hidden Moonlight

隠された月光
Apr 11, 2009 10:19 PM

Aug 2008
I'll start with my first intriguing, yet "dumb" question: Why hasn't Rika tried to communicate with Hanyu? Or rather, why hasn't Hanyu shown her self yet in this "different" world?
By the way, whose that woman who's beside Rika (in the previw for the 3rd OVA and in the ED)? Frederica Bernkastel or her mother?

I remember hearing something about her being in a comma or something in Rei, so I presume that all of "this" is happening in her head (meaning that she didn't die when she got got hit by that truck), while she's in this "world" (comma).
I don't think that that's the case though...
Anyway, the Mystery's starting to get me more into it! :D
Apr 12, 2009 6:22 AM
Aug 2008
I think I must be one of the few who didn't laugh at Rika getting slammed by a truck after the, "Yay, life!" line. x_x That just *sucked* so bad I wanted to face plant into my keyboard.

Great episode. I think I'm in the camp of those who think Rika hallucinated Re/Reina's psycho glitch. :)

One thing that confused me (I'm probably mixing up plot points/not remembering correctly) - if there is no Hinamizawa syndrome, wouldn't...

Not really a spoiler, since I'm assuming everyone who's watching this has seen the past arcs, but just in case..
Apr 12, 2009 9:10 AM

Nov 2007
I have no idea where this is going. Rika is stuck in a new world where everything is fine...well almost. I need to know why Reina made that horrible face when Rika asked about the mutilated corpse, but we all have to wait for the next episode, impatiently. D:
Apr 12, 2009 6:34 PM
Dec 2007
milky-manga said:
I have no idea where this is going. Rika is stuck in a new world where everything is fine...well almost. I need to know why Reina made that horrible face when Rika asked about the mutilated corpse, but we all have to wait for the next episode, impatiently. D:
She didn't, Rika's just paranoid. Look at Higurashi's very first arc for a similar case. (Keiichi pictures Rena and Mion with those same exact expressions)

And for Kurichan: if you listen to Rena's whole conversation, she talks about how Satoko and her foster dad (remember her mother remarries into the Houjo household) are getting along better and working their differences. So yes, Satoko's parents are alive, and that goes for Rika's parents as well (since it was Takano who killed Rika's parents).

Apr 13, 2009 2:55 PM

Mar 2007
This episode was ALOT more intresting then the first one. A new world, Hell yeah
Instagram: Luzifurr
Apr 14, 2009 12:56 AM
Aug 2008
Leon-Gun said:
(remember her mother remarries into the Houjo household)

I had completely forgotten that. Thanks!
Apr 15, 2009 7:45 AM

Nov 2007
Leon-Gun said:
milky-manga said:
She didn't, Rika's just paranoid. Look at Higurashi's very first arc for a similar case. (Keiichi pictures Rena and Mion with those same exact expressions)

I guess it's similar to the first arc, but even with that in mind you can't prove that she is going crazy. It would be a great twist though! The fact that not only did she see Reina's face change but also assumed the doctor was Irie is another big hint.
Apr 15, 2009 12:01 PM
Dec 2007
milky-manga said:
Leon-Gun said:
milky-manga said:

I guess it's similar to the first arc, but even with that in mind you can't prove that she is going crazy. It would be a great twist though! The fact that not only did she see Reina's face change but also assumed the doctor was Irie is another big hint.
Pretty much. I think this time it might just be pure psychological stress rather than the oft. mentioned Hinamizawa Syndrome.

Apr 17, 2009 3:52 AM

Jan 2009
New world ? '

Keiichi is not in Hinamizawa, Rena's parents did not divorce, the dam project was resolved smoothly, and neither Satoko nor Rika's parents died. However the club never formed, meaning Rika has no friends, Hanyū is absent, Rika isn't revered as the reincarnation of Oyashiro and the village will soon sink underwater. What is going to happen ? What is the reason she returned to June 1983 in this condition ?

This is become very interesting !
Apr 19, 2009 10:57 AM

Feb 2009
woah, this ep was so much better than the last!!!
I loved it! XD
Apr 21, 2009 8:29 PM
Mar 2009
Rika can't call Hanyuu...
Apr 23, 2009 12:16 AM

Feb 2008
i disagree The last episode was way better because they had the soul brother
Apr 23, 2009 1:20 AM

Aug 2008
Yeah,
Its all good.
Apr 23, 2009 3:25 AM

Jul 2008
And we're back to the 'what the hell is happening?'. It's finally starting to feel like Higurashi again.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Gar_Logan - Aug 19, 2009

245 by KingOfMAL »»
Mar 19, 11:40 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Katsuki - Jun 12, 2009

186 by Destroyer31 »»
Oct 12, 2023 12:41 AM

» Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei [Visual Novel Discussion]

waalex11 - Apr 14, 2023

1 by Ricedumpismyname »»
Apr 15, 2023 9:56 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

phinix_down - Feb 14, 2009

190 by --bee-- »»
Jan 2, 2023 1:21 PM

» am i the only person disgusted by all this 'loli' shit?

AiyanaMiyuki - Dec 25, 2021

6 by removed-user »»
Nov 6, 2022 10:37 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.