Death Note
Code Geass
Trigun
Black Lagoon
Kino's Journey
I probably regret this post by now.
Jun 17, 2010 1:51 PM

Dec 2009
I, personally, don't see how FMA and Brotherhood can even be placed in the same category. They share some main voice actors, but that's about it. Brotherhood put about as much tact into assigning voice actors to their minor roles as Naruto did... which is to say, they were all voiced by maybe 2 people. Both awful.
Jun 17, 2010 9:51 PM

Jul 2007
^ that's not true

Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness bringing torment and pain to others, oh damned soul wallowing in your sin...perhaps it is time to die
Jun 17, 2010 11:07 PM
Sep 2008
Lets see...
No real order, just listing...
1: Baccano!, namely for the accents
2: Hellsing & Hellsing Ultimate, once again, accents
3: Samurai Champloo
4: Cowboy Bebop
5: Trigun, because I am so biased towards Bosch and almost everything he's done is great.
6: FullMetal Alchemist
7: Big O
8: Although the anime wasn't dubbed for this game, Tales of the Abyss actually had a likeable dub, minus Tear. Would like to hear the dubbed anime with this cast, if they ever do it (so yeah, unsure if this counts)
9: Eureka Seven
Jun 18, 2010 1:33 AM

Dec 2009
coolcat said:
^ that's not true

Eh, well. I think so, anyway.
Jun 18, 2010 3:31 AM

Jun 2008
I don't really have a list, but Fullmetal Alchemist will always be my favourite dub because it got me into dubbed anime, and because teh dub is so good I can't even watch it in Japanese.

There are a lot of dubs I like, but there are a few I that I think are far superior to the original. There's the obvious, like Cowboy Bebop, but I also think xxxHolic and Spice and Wolf had superlative dubbing. (Yay for referencing TV Tropes.<3)

xxxHolic-Colleen Clinkenbeard IS Yuuko. I can't remember her Japanese voice but Colleen was amazing. Everyone else's voices were perfect too-Watanuki was ridiculous and fun but he did serious well when it was necessary. And a lot of people complain about Mokona's voice but I adored it.

Spice and Wolf-I saw the first episode subbed and thought it was okay. I saw a trailer for the dub on the Funimation site and fell in love with it. Brina Palencia's voice is the perfect Holo, sexy, cute, fun and playful, even with a slight purr to her voice, and J. Micheal Tatum was much more what I had imagined Lawrence's voice to be like than FukuJun's. The dialogue in the trailer was fantastic too.

The Haruhi dub is one of my favourites as well. I think the voices are overall on par with the Japanese (and Stephanie Sheh sounds EXACTLY like an English Yuko Goto, she's AMAZING) except for Crispin Freeman, who is an even better Kyon than Tomokazu Sugita imo, and the voice I hear in my head when I think of Kyon's voice or read the novels. And the dubbing of the songs got a lot of complaints, but I personally thought it was a commendable effort, and that also while the English songs obviously weren't as good as the Japanese, they sounded a lot less professional, which worked in its favour because they are only supposed to be written by high school kids and sung by someone who only learnt the song an hour or so ago and wasn't comfortable singing it. So I liked that.

I love the Lucky Star dub, but it misses out on being one of my favourites only for Patty's voice XD
But overall it was brilliant. Konata was fantastic, and Kari Wahlgren made Kagami sound like an older version of Lisa Simpson but it really, REALLY worked. Yutaka's voice was imo superior in the dub-Hynden Walch's voice is frickin' MOE, I squeed whenever she opened her mouth.

I'm very much enjoying the Eureka Seven dub right now. I have an opportunity to meet Johnny Yong Bosch soon, and plus i've no particular love for any of the seiyuu, so I decided to watch it dubbed, and I love it. Renton's voice is especially adorable.
Jun 25, 2010 11:48 AM

Aug 2007
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Beck
Azumanga Daioh
School Rumble
Last Exile
Cowboy Bebop
Mushishi
Wolf's Rain
Samurai Champloo
Hellsing
blah
Jun 25, 2010 3:31 PM

Feb 2009
Funny, as Matsuoka Yuki and Ono Daisuke are my favorite two seiyuu, I myself find it odd that I swing this way:

1) Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi
Highlights: Everyone. Especially Wendee Lee.
2) XXXHolic
Highlights: Colleen Clinkenbeard as Yuuko. Seconding Smochi above. I <3 Ohara Sayaka, but Colleen IS Yuuko.
3) Baccano!
Highlights: EVERYBODY HAS ACCENTS! Haha, also Maxey Whitehead (Czes) has the most moe (English) voice ever <3
4) Lucky Star
5) Fullmetal Alchemist
6) Black Lagoon
7) AIR TV/movie
Highlight: Monica Rial as Misuzu and Serena Varghese (sp?) as Michiru.
8) Witchblade
9) Furi Kuri
10) Death Note

Haven't seen much of Cowboy Bebop, but I suppose that's an obligatory mention. :P
Aug 18, 2010 2:39 PM

Aug 2010
In no particular order
~Fruits Basket (My only complaint is Akito, fantastic VA but not appropriate if they were to continue the anime)
~Kanon 2006
~Clannad (Even though Fuko spoke in first person, Hilary Hagg was PERFECT)
~Air
~FMA/Brotherhood
~OHSHC
~Shakugan no Shana (I actually don't like the subbed version, it's okay, but not as good as the dubbed version)
~Rurouni Kenshin (Ever watched the outtakes? Made me love it even more)
~Ah! My Goddess
~Princess Tutu (Luci Christian was soo cute as Duck!)
~Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle
~Inuyasha

Ok, that's more than ten. But I love all of these dubs! Oh and I'll probably get attacked with this one, but I still have a love for the Sailor Moon dub. Yes they changed a ton of stuff, but some of the VA's were fantastic! And I actually like most of the music from the dub better than the original.

Oh and any of the Miyazaki movies. Disney is a genius.

Aug 18, 2010 4:54 PM

Mar 2010
Inuyasha
Bleach
Descendants of Darkness
Matantei Loki Ragnarok
Sailor Moon
Aug 26, 2010 10:10 AM

Feb 2010
no particular order but id say

1. Monster

2. Nana

3. Death Note

4. GITSAC

5. Mahou Sensei Negima ( alot of people prob disagree but I liked it )

6. Clannad

7. Trigun

8. Case Closed

9. Wolf's Rain

10. Inuyasha
TromdorAug 26, 2010 10:15 AM
Aug 26, 2010 10:19 AM

Feb 2009
In no particular order...

Code Geass Series
Fullmetal Alchemist
Wolf's Rain
Ai Yori Aoshi
Black Lagoon
Death Note
Soul Eater
Gurren Lagann
Kodocha
Welcome to NHK!
KipperchaOct 8, 2010 1:41 PM
Aug 26, 2010 2:34 PM

Aug 2010
I've heard several times that Kodocha is good. I think I'll have to check that one out.

Aug 26, 2010 4:17 PM

Jul 2007
^ Yes, watch it now!

Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness bringing torment and pain to others, oh damned soul wallowing in your sin...perhaps it is time to die
Aug 26, 2010 4:54 PM

Dec 2009
I think Mobile Suit Gundam 00 is worth an honorary mention here. The acting itself isn't anything special, but they've got everyone in the cast, lol. Richard Ian Cox, Brad Swaile, Kirby Morrow, about 5 other guys I recognize but can't remember off the top of my head... it's hilarious because I always picture the actors' "main characters" shouting inside their giant robot mechs.
Aug 26, 2010 8:54 PM

Aug 2010
coolcat said:
^ Yes, watch it now!

hehe, ok! I'll do it. :)

I haven't even heard of Mobile Suit Gundam, but I love it when a bunch of popular VAs are all in a show together, so maybe I'll give that one a try.

Aug 27, 2010 12:18 AM

Dec 2009
kiwigreeneyes said:
I haven't even heard of Mobile Suit Gundam

Is it grammatically possible to use those words in sequence like that?
Aug 27, 2010 12:49 AM

Jan 2008
Even if it is, I'm pretty sure stating that you have never heard of MSG breaks some kind of law...
Aug 27, 2010 8:47 AM

Aug 2010
XTApocalypse said:
kiwigreeneyes said:
I haven't even heard of Mobile Suit Gundam

Is it grammatically possible to use those words in sequence like that?

"I have not even heard of ..." might have been better, but it's still grammatically correct.

I'm an English major so I'm used to having everything I write torn to pieces, but I didn't expect to be corrected on an anime forum...lol

GrimWizard said:
Even if it is, I'm pretty sure stating that you have never heard of MSG breaks some kind of law...

lol. Ok ok! I'll go look it up and educate myself.

Aug 27, 2010 1:34 PM

Dec 2009
I was exaggerating the previously-thought-to-be-indisputable fact that it was physically impossible for an anime fan to have never heard of Gundam. It's in the Pokemon and Transformers tier. Started in the 1970's and changed the face of anime in its entirety. They churn out a new Gundam product or series every year - how can you have never even heard the name before?
Aug 27, 2010 2:52 PM

Aug 2010
XTApocalypse said:
I was exaggerating the previously-thought-to-be-indisputable fact that it was physically impossible for an anime fan to have never heard of Gundam. It's in the Pokemon and Transformers tier. Started in the 1970's and changed the face of anime in its entirety. They churn out a new Gundam product or series every year - how can you have never even heard the name before?

lol, got it. I really don't think I had heard of it until now. I might have come across the name, but it didn't stick with me. I didn't start watching anime until a couple of years ago so maybe that's why...

But I've heard of it now! :D I even added it to my 'to be watched' list.

Aug 27, 2010 8:49 PM

Jul 2007
No excuses!

lol, I haven't seen much of the Gundam franchise myself, but I sure as heck heard of it.

Never even heard of it till now, wow, what's the fandom coming to? ^_^

You probably have come across the series before, if you ever heard of mechs (giant robots).

Aug 27, 2010 8:55 PM

Dec 2009
It was mentioned in FLCL, for pete's sake. D=
Aug 27, 2010 11:49 PM

Aug 2010
Ok ok! I'm properly ashamed now. Does that make you feel better?

And I'm probably just digging myself deeper, but I haven't seen FCLC. But I HAVE heard of it. :D

Aug 27, 2010 11:55 PM

Dec 2009
FLCL is a cult anime turned famous by American broadcast, so that one's no real travesty. It's still a pretty interesting watch, though.

By the way, just to clarify, we were saying that Gundam was popular, not that it was good. I've been pretty indifferent on what I have seen of it thus far. =P
Aug 28, 2010 1:14 AM

Jan 2008
XTApocalypse said:
I've been pretty indifferent on what I have seen of it thus far. =P

That makes more sense then you realize, considering the only thing you have listed as seeing is that crappy Gundam 00.
Aug 28, 2010 2:17 AM

Jul 2009
Out of the anime i've seen so far:

1. Ouran High School Host Club
2. Girls Bravo (Kazuhara is perfect)
2. Fruits basket
4. Black Lagoon
5. DearS

Stop. Calm yourself. You're an idiot.
Oct 8, 2010 1:31 PM

Mar 2009
Hmmm, might be tough to order them, meh, I won't even try

Outlaw Star (Bandai)
-this was one of my first anime period, but I still love the dub even today

Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi (ADV)
-hehe, this show it hilarious and I actually think that the Southern accents really add something for Saashi and Arumi.

Cromartie High School (ADV)
-not only do all the voices fit everyone like a glove, but the delivery is flawless, it boost the enjoyment of the show immensely.

Digimon (???)
-another dub I grew up with, but it really is awesome (even if some of the lines were kinda lame here and there due to translation)

Noein (Manga Ent.)
-lot of really solid performances from some really good industry standards like Crispin Freeman, Yuri Lowenthall, and Melissa Fahn. Also some more unknown actors like Eddie Frierson so a great job too.

Yu Yu Hakusho (Funimation)
-oh, man, this is a classic, not to mention that Christopher R. Sabat is in this dub, but even when they gave some characters some slightly silly voices (like Jin for example) it still somehow never felt out of place. You can also tell they put a lot of heart and soul into the dub too.

Robotech (Harmony Gold)
-I didn't grow up with Robotech, I'm too young for that to be true (heh), but even when I first heard this sub around 2004-2005, I could instantly tell it was one of the best dubs I've ever heard. Sure, Minmei is a bit annoying, but I think it fits her well enough, doesn't ruin the dub either, and everyone else is excellent (especially Tony Oliver). Wasn't a big fan of Dana's voice though, but that's my only complaint.

Higurashi (Geneon)
-started off a tad shaky, but I think it captured the creepiness of the series really well overall. I also feel like they stuck to the sub's feel pretty well, when I watched the second season subbed, I felt like the voices just connected instantly.
Oct 8, 2010 1:46 PM

Dec 2009
Jin's voice? Silly?

That, sir, is BLASPHEMY! >=(
Oct 8, 2010 2:05 PM

Mar 2009
XTApocalypse said:
Jin's voice? Silly?

That, sir, is BLASPHEMY! >=(

Well if you ask me, the Irish accent was a bit....weird I guess is the only word I can think of, but I still really liked Jin, accent and all.
Oct 9, 2010 6:14 AM

May 2009
1. cowboy bebop
2. spirited away
3. fruits basket
4. beck
5. bleach
6. blood+
7. the cat returns

i can't think of any more right now most dubs annoy me but these are awesome
Oct 12, 2010 7:38 AM

Dec 2009
Favorite.. No particular order

1.) Code Geass
2.) Gundam Seed
3.) Scrapped Princess
4.) Hellsing
5.) Hellsing Ultimate
6.) FullMetal Alchemist
7.) Familar of Zero

Dec 20, 2010 1:24 AM
Nov 2010
My top dubs?
1. Fullmetal Achemist brotherhood
2. My Otome
3. My otome zwei
4. Bleach
5. Lucky star
6. witchblade
7. shakugan no shana
8. tsubasa reservior chronicles
9. Mai Hime
10. ah my goddess
and the dubs im waiting on are
1. the rest of fmab
2. bleach movie 3
3. shakugan no shana second season - not that stupid dub by animax, that was terrible
Dec 20, 2010 1:46 AM

Dec 2009
Krudda said:
My top dubs?
1. Fullmetal Achemist brotherhood

Mention of this series is strictly forbidden by the unspoken law of Xelrog.
Apr 7, 2011 9:13 PM

Mar 2011
For me, in order:

1) Rurouni Kenshin : The whole cast had wonderful voices, especially Kenshin.

2) InuYasha : I tried to watch it in Japanese, but InuYasha (and Kenshin for that matter) having a female voice feels very wrong. My ears were almost bleeding after listening to the 26 episodes of InuYasha Final Act. I really like their voices in English, they really know how to show they emotions.

3) Baccano! : I don't think I need to state the obvious, I had to put this number 3 though because I watched this recently and it can't beat old classics.

4) Fullmetal Alchemist : Excellent voices, also fits very well the Europeen-style fantasy world they live in. The Jap version is quite good too, but I'll always go with the English.

5) Dragon Ball Z : Again, another super hero with a female voice in the Japanese version. The English version, Goku sounds manly... the way he is suppose to sounds :D
"I'm commander Shepard, and Legend of the Galactic Heroes is my favorite anime in the galaxy"
Apr 7, 2011 10:05 PM

Dec 2009
JohnShepard said:
Dragon Ball Z : Again, another super hero with a female voice in the Japanese version.

THANK YOU.

I can't really agree with Kenshin, InuYasha, and DBZ being top 5 material, though... they're all just pretty average to me.
Apr 7, 2011 11:01 PM

Jun 2010
Alright I chose some obvious ones but, hey they're great.

10. Hellsing Ultimate: One name; Crispin Freeman! But is he the sole one good role? No, the entire cast is just incredible.

9. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya: One name... again; Crispin Freeman! But is he the sole good role? Arguably yes, but the other characters just one dimensional and their voice actors are just fine (Except Haruhi, whom Wendee Lee does an okay job), but for me Crispin just nails the role soo damn well and makes the english dub of haruhi just a must for my list.

8. Samurai Champloo: Steven Blum as the gruff badass Mugen, Kirk Thornton as the silent (But also badass) Jin, and Kari Wahlgren doing a convincing 15 year old girl voice, Fuu, each is cast perfectly and just damn excellent.

7. Death Note: Ocean proves their worth as a dubbing studio, making a dub that rivals the very best of whats out there.

6. Cowboy Bebop: Good dubs didn't exist until CB came along, instantly setting a standard for the english dubs of today.

5. Beck Mongolian Chop Squad: To this day, many still point to this anime as, "This is how a dub should be." There's no denying that in the least.

4. Fullmetal Alchemist: Arguably funimation's finest english to date, and like CB, it sets a standard for what english dubs should be like.

3. Baccano: I'm sorry for choosing the obvious ones, but damn if there one anime that the english dub is superior to the japanese version, then by all means look no further.

2. Kurau Phantom Memory: A fantastic english dub makes this beautiful anime just so much better, no other english dubbed anime has made watching the connection between two characters (A relationship that has no fetishy or perversion overtones at all) more enjoyable for me.

1. Welcome to the NHK!: This is, to me, the finest english dub ever produced, especially Chris Patton who I believe was born to do crazed roles like Sato, him including many others made this my favorite english dubbed anime.

Honorable mentions: Dragon Ball Kai, Ghost Stories, Ninja Scroll, Nabari No Ou, Gantz, and Eden of the East.
"The R1 Anime business is a cruel and shallow financial trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Apr 11, 2011 4:05 PM

Nov 2007
too many to list but I'll try

Tenchi Muyo (Pioneer/Geneon) – I can’t imagine anyone else voicing the English dub main cast besides Matt K. Miller, Petrea Burchard, Jennifer Darling, K.T. Vogt, Reba West, Sherry Lynn, and Wendee Lee.

Yu Yu Hakusho (Funimation) – It’s line-by-line one of the best dub rewrite scripts around.

Slayers (Central Park Media) – voice actors also strongly associated with their main characters

One Piece (Funimation) – made good because they unedited all the craziness done by 4Kids, and then safely backed up the voices with now experienced voice actors where you can put them in a dark room and still figure out who’s saying what.

Cowboy Bebop (Bandai / L.A. voice cast normally associated with Bang Zoom) - another case where you could dark room the voice actors and enjoy them ad libbing

Black Lagoon (Ocean) – when I heard this title, I couldn’t believe I was watching anime anymore. It took the second season with the Yazukas to bring it back to anime world. Best natural use of swearing.

Chobits (Bang Zoom) – The Haruhi dub wouldn’t be as good if Crispin Freeman didn’t demonstate his comedic potential by narrating this series.

Fruits Basket (Funimation) - sweet Tohru is still Laura Bailey’s favorite role

Kanon (ADV) – this could have been another mediocre Key presentation but somehow having Chris Patton, Brittney Karbowski, and Jessica Boone voice the main characters is genius.

Beck : Mongolian Chop Squad (Funimation) – wow, voice actors can sing after all

2x2 Shinobuden (Nozomi/RightStuf) - yep that’s Sean Schemmel (Goku/DBZ) going nuts as Onsakamaru.

School Rumble (Funimation) – awww crap
Sasami Magical Girls Club (Funimation) – you might catch emo
Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 (ADV) – has a few edited lines that were better than the original
Burst Angel (Funimation) – show may be run of the mill, but their commentaries are good fun
AngusApr 11, 2011 4:12 PM
May 25, 2011 7:47 PM

Dec 2010
1. HunterxHunter (VIZ Media) All voices fit the characters perfectly and made Kurapika sound badass. :)
2. Full Metal Alchemist/Brotherhood (Funimation) Any anime with Vic Mignogna in it will be awesome no matter what.
3. Kenichi (Funimation) Most of the fighters in that anime sound awesome and badass
4. Bleach (VIZ Media) I like the dubs they gave Orihime and Nel. Totally cute!
5. Naruto/Shippuden (VIZ Media) *No comment*
Jason546May 25, 2011 7:53 PM
May 25, 2011 9:39 PM

Jun 2009
not in order but 5 of my Favorites would be

1. Pokemon (Season 1)
2. Digimon Tamers
3. Boys Be
4. School Rumble
5. Yu-Gi-Oh GX (even if They changed The dialog)
Hiding Away in the Memory of a Better Day
May 28, 2011 12:37 AM

Feb 2010
well lets see im just gonna stick with top 5. hope its decent ( in everyone's view ).

1. Clannad After Story
2. Monster
3. Case Closed
4. Nana
5. Death Note
May 28, 2011 5:16 AM
Mar 2011
Jungle Tentei Leo
Tetsuwan Atomu [minus the Name Change]
Kero Chan the Little Black Bear
Helsing
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
May 28, 2011 9:48 AM

Aug 2010
BigLanik said:
well lets see im just gonna stick with top 5. hope its decent ( in everyone's view ).

1. Clannad After Story
2. Monster
3. Case Closed
4. Nana
5. Death Note

The only shows from your list I've seen are Nana and After Story, I completely agree with you!

May 28, 2011 7:45 PM
Nov 2010
1. Nabari no ou
2. Bamboo Blade
3. Lucky Star
4. Spirited Away
5. Nausicaa Valley of the Wind
6. Princess Mononoke
7. Castle in the Sky
8. Howl's Moving Castle
9. The Cat Returns
10. Digimon season 1 and season 2
May 28, 2011 11:46 PM

Feb 2010
kiwigreeneyes said:
BigLanik said:

1. Clannad After Story
2. Monster
3. Case Closed
4. Nana
5. Death Note

The only shows from your list I've seen are Nana and After Story, I completely agree with you!

Thanks glad to know someone agrees with me :) and I also realized i posted in this thread before haha.
May 29, 2011 12:31 AM

Dec 2009
Death Note's dub wasn't bad, and I haven't been unimpressed by what little I've seen of Monster. Haven't seen any of the others, though.
May 29, 2011 1:16 AM

Jul 2007
@BigLanik: Not a big fan of the NANA dub, but it's a excellent series. Death Note is a excellent dub. Monster is okay. Case Closed is fun series and dub.

@CherishAnime: Nabari no Ou is a Awesome dub. You have good taste.

May 29, 2011 10:11 AM
Jan 2008
CherishAnime said:

Spirited Away
Nausicaa Valley of the Wind
Princess Mononoke
Castle in the Sky
Howl's Moving Castle
The Cat Returns

Two words: EXCELLENT CHOICES. They are indeed great dubs.
May 29, 2011 5:32 PM

Aug 2010
coolcat said:
@BigLanik: Not a big fan of the NANA dub, but it's a excellent series.

It seems like it's a love or hate thing with NANA. I loved the dub, but I know many people really dislike it. I can kinda understand some people's dislike of Hachi's VA, because she's done voice work for Barbie so much, but I knew her from Inuyasha...

It is a great series. I wish it had been completed. I don't think the manga-ka will pick it back up.

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What is a dub song from a children’s anime dub that you love the most?

funtime43_tr - Mar 9

0 by funtime43_tr »»
Mar 9, 9:42 AM

» Why do you like English dubs? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

coolcat - Apr 27, 2010

325 by Edawg0066 »»
Jan 1, 10:57 PM

» English dub fan, what do you think of these Japanese dubs of American cartoons?

mdo7 - Aug 31, 2020

2 by mdo7 »»
Nov 14, 2023 5:43 PM

» In Defense of 4kids/New York voice actors.

funtime43_tr - Oct 25, 2022

1 by SwatKat1990 »»
Jan 18, 2023 5:54 PM

» Notable 2022 Anime that didn't get Dubbed

Aan120898 - Dec 29, 2022

1 by MeanMrMusician »»
Dec 30, 2022 1:58 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.