Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jan 10, 2014 9:21 PM

Jun 2013
My second idol themed anime and I love this so for. Currently at my #2 right behind Sakura Trick.

Just realized that the members of Wake Up, Girls! and their seiyuus share the same first name.
RiezJan 10, 2014 9:35 PM
"Children of Japan. And those who were once children. Listen! This is not a dream. This is not fiction. In reality, your superheroes were always fighting. To teach viewers courage and the meaning of justice! No matter how many enemies there are. No matter how strong evil is. Just remember. Does any another country have so many heroes? Has any another country been protected by multiple superheroes? Stand with me, friends! Remember when you used to watch your superheroes!
Once you may have given up this dream. But today, you can be a hero!"

- Kaname Jouji , Red Axe

Jan 10, 2014 10:00 PM

Jun 2009
I had a feeling that it was going to be darker than other anime. I liked it more as I kept watching. The citizen kane poster was so random though. lol Miyu is really adorable! I haven't watched the movie yet so I think I'll go and do that.
what is a person with SAD to do..
Jan 10, 2014 10:54 PM
Jul 2018

I APPROVE THIS!
Jan 10, 2014 10:56 PM

Nov 2012
guess i should watch the movie since i felt a little lost in this episode..
it wasn't too bad though, i'll keep watching
Jan 10, 2014 11:10 PM

May 2013
At least it isn't CGI.
Jan 10, 2014 11:50 PM
Sep 2010
Mizusi said:
At least it isn't CGI.

haha Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio?

but yeh as has been stated already should watch the movie before you start the series, I felt it was an excellent intro. This episode felt more like Ep 1.5 after watching the movie. Don't usually watch idol based series cause they are usually pretty gimmicky and over the top. But this one seems so genuine and.. simple? It's pretty generic I feel but also am curious to where it will go, everyone likes an underdog.

also for some reason the cover pic's colours remind of coppelion haha
Astro551Jan 10, 2014 11:56 PM
Jan 11, 2014 1:36 AM

Dec 2008
Am I weird if I actually sat down and enjoyed the pilot? Granted I've heard of this director's history, but considering that I actually enjoyed Kannagi, I'm hoping that I get to enjoy this, regardless of the person/people behind it, or at the very least I hope he keeps it together long enough for the entire series to be decent.
Will I fall in love someday? I wonder?

Jan 11, 2014 2:07 AM

Jan 2011
was confused on what to watch first when i DL them today movie was decent thank god dance wasn't CG,first episode was aright not sure where all this hates coming from though.

always end up watching at least one idol show a year even though i don't even listen to actual ones or care about it to some extent lol.
Jan 11, 2014 2:08 AM

Aug 2013
Lol at the ending! :)
I'm liking this series so far.
Jan 11, 2014 2:38 AM

Aug 2013
Hmm it was okay.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Jan 11, 2014 4:26 AM

Jul 2013
I find this a lot better than Idolmaster or Love Live. The performance animation is also fluid and not CGI (a big plus). The song is better than anything Idolmaster have offered too.

I can't help but laugh at the people who dropped this because of panty shots (even though there's an explanation for it). Go fucking watch the special first before commenting, dumb ass!

Miyuu's seiyuu is really cute tho...
MoeGodJan 11, 2014 4:31 AM
Jan 11, 2014 4:31 AM

Jan 2010
The panties aren't unnecessary, that is specifically how they are trying to appeal to people early on. It is like people didn't actually watch the goddamn show. Life isn't your pure Idolm@ster world, sorry.
"My tables-meet it is I set it down
That one may smile, and smile, and be a villain."
Jan 11, 2014 6:59 AM
Jul 2018
NavyCherub said:
The panties aren't unnecessary, that is specifically how they are trying to appeal to people early on. It is like people didn't actually watch the goddamn show. Life isn't your pure Idolm@ster world, sorry.

Someone who gets it. Also, except the panty shots at the end and that one shot of Miyu's boobs in the movie there was no blatant fanservice. It's really embarassing how people are complaining that the episode had too MUCH fanservice. There are others show which actually rely on fanservice, how about bashing those?
Jan 11, 2014 11:17 AM
Dec 2010
jiraiya_sensei said:
I find this a lot better than Idolmaster or Love Live. The performance animation is also fluid and not CGI (a big plus). The song is better than anything Idolmaster have offered too.

I can't help but laugh at the people who dropped this because of panty shots (even though there's an explanation for it). Go fucking watch the special first before commenting, dumb ass!

Miyuu's seiyuu is really cute tho...

Love Live worked because while it certainly wasn't an ambitious effort they still managed to pour a lot of heart into the series and mixed good comedy with moments that hit you emotionally. Wake up Girls is more in the vein of Idolmaster with really slick production and writing, but ATM all the Wake up Idols look and speak the same way, and it's not easy to actually tell them apart and identify them. The fact that the seiyuus are all noobs is pretty blatant compared to the more experienced and better ones in Idolmaster. Maybe it'll be better a few episodes in but ATM the whole series feels soulless and unmemorable compared to Love Live and Idolmaster.
Jan 11, 2014 12:14 PM

Jul 2011
OK, I'm not a fan of the director or something but when i feel a series is good then i'll say it as it is.

The first episode is really interesting and i love how all of the girls has a very REALISTIC personality yet still different from one another.

I watch idolm@ster, while that one's art is sooo much better, this one feels like, feels like it has a soul, and a characters that my sister or my girl friends could relate to, well then, nice episode, i hope the director won't fuck it up in the future episode.
Jan 11, 2014 12:26 PM

Feb 2013
I saw the art at first I was like "meh so poor" but it grew on me towards the end of the episode, I liked the dancing, pantsu shots ~ I'm watching this cause I really loved Love Live! so hoping this is gonna be a good idol anime, I'm sure though It won't be as good as LL cause of the art but It seems enjoyable enough for me so far :)
Jan 11, 2014 12:55 PM
Jul 2018
it's all about service.
hmmmm.... I have a bad feeling the direction this show gonna take. not sure whether I gonna like it or not. let just hope this doesn't turn into something like I-Can. :(
Jan 11, 2014 2:48 PM

Nov 2013
Do like the cast better than Love Live and Idolmaster, but I usually don't watch idol animes, so that doesn't say much.

Also liking the starting point.
DGemuJan 11, 2014 2:51 PM
Jan 11, 2014 4:14 PM

Apr 2009
I'd said Yamakan is my waifu, if it wasn't blasphemy against our Lord Saviour.
Jan 11, 2014 4:30 PM

Jul 2013
Miyu is already my favorite.

Not "savior" material but decent.
NYANPASU~!
Jan 11, 2014 6:56 PM

Sep 2012
Personally in addition to this be a chill Idol anime, the fact that this is a debut anime for the seiyuu of the idol group has me intrigued.
Jan 11, 2014 7:39 PM

Jun 2009
Idolmaster without the moe....I'm cool with it. That sleezeball manager or whoever at the end will promptly be getting his but kicked next ep, I hope.
Jan 11, 2014 7:53 PM

Dec 2012
The OP and ED song were very good. The music is really nice. The performance at the end was good as well. Looking forward to seeing more.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Jan 11, 2014 7:55 PM

Aug 2012
I normally do not post. However, if you did not watch the prequel you really will not understand anything. The first episode throws a lot at a new viewer, which the prequel covers.

If you didn't watch the prequel it is no wonder you do not like it.
Jan 11, 2014 10:15 PM

Apr 2011
Kerozinn said:
what is up with the anime coming out today.. first a show with such otaku pandering blatant yuri scenes and then a slice of life idol show with constant pantyshots when they dance and this is just the beginning. the panty color of that one girl is ridiculous tho ^^

dropped again!

Do you like anything?
Glorious Titties Nuff Said!

Make America Great Again!
Jan 11, 2014 10:17 PM

Aug 2008
I watched this episode first and found that I will need the movie for better comprehension, so I gave it a try. With both, this episode turned out OK. The concept of this show seems to be realistic struggle, which is good. But also makes it tougher to pour emotions in. For now, I'd say it is rather bland, but still enjoyable.
Jan 11, 2014 11:17 PM

Feb 2011
Awesome opening and ending.The girls dance choreography is good too.
lucifershine47Jan 11, 2014 11:22 PM
Jan 12, 2014 1:01 AM

Aug 2012
I really liked the movie.

With that being said, the pacing in this episode felt out of place, and that ending has me worried about what's going to happen next.
Jan 12, 2014 2:23 AM

Aug 2013
Just finished watching the movie and I gotta say, I appreciate this more now than when I went in blindly. It has this underdog story feel to it, kind of like how I was thrilled to see μ's slowly climbing up the rankings.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Jan 12, 2014 5:16 AM

Dec 2013
I really like the show so far. I hope they have some more good music!

Whats my age again? WHERE IS MY ASIAN FRIEND!!!!!!!
Jan 12, 2014 7:11 AM

May 2008
the show okay dunno if i carry on tho might for the music!!!
Jan 12, 2014 11:47 AM

Oct 2012
first episode was kinda repeating the movie but it was nice. I presume Sudo is going to be saying bye-bye next time as those bikini are no-no. Manager will have to do it the hard way. I wonder how they will compare to other girl band in the end.

By the way - anyone knows if this is the real music band? Seeing seiyuu's names on anidb they are the same as in anime and no girl have other dubbing experience.. also the company is the same. Is this the anime to support the group?
Jan 12, 2014 12:30 PM

Nov 2011
This seems like it will be a good Idol show, it will show the actual struggles of an idol group instead of one that has it all together already. Very excited for this show!!!
Jan 12, 2014 6:20 PM

Jan 2014
ive never seen an idol anime
but ive enjoyed the movie and the first ep despite the flashback
pretty excited for moar
[right]
Jan 12, 2014 6:54 PM

Feb 2013
Couple of problems:
1. It's pretty shameful to have a pantyshot in the OP.
2. They shouldn't have re-used the entire performance from the pre-movie.
2b. It's almost like they just wanted to show everyone the girls' panties again (which was slightly excessive in the movie, but completely lacked explanation in this episode).

Other than that... This is shaping up to be my favorite of the season.

Perv dude at the end though... disgraceful. (though he was nice enough to order food for everyone)
Jan 12, 2014 7:31 PM
Jan 2010
I wasn't turned on by the pantyshot in the OP.
It felt like it existed there to disgust the viewer.

That is coming from someone who is enjoying Sakura Trick.
Jan 12, 2014 7:32 PM

Apr 2011
After watching the movie first, it was easy to follow the story of the tv series.

I lol at the girls faces when they saw Sudo and ask to try a bikini on while Mayu has a composed look.

That bitch of a president better not come back.

Ganbatte, Wake Up Girls!
MagitoJan 12, 2014 7:35 PM
Jan 12, 2014 9:04 PM

Aug 2013
I have no intention of letting any other idol group to overtake Love Live! (in my mind)

but at least I will give this new idol group a chance to be 2nd

Doesn't look that bad for a start
Cute is justice.
Jan 13, 2014 11:35 AM

Oct 2011
Hoping that Sudo doesn't stick around, I really don't want this show to turn into fanservice all over the place. If it keeps going on like this it could be a really good show about the beginning of an idol group, looking forward to it.
Jan 13, 2014 2:31 PM

Mar 2013
i think its pretty offensive against women that in nearly every slice of life anime that focuses on girls all this girls want to be is idols, as if the storywriter was some otaku only dreaming that every girl wants to be his idol nothing else, i mean come on guys cant u put maybe some girls as main lead that want to become something important? Maybe a girl that want to become a laywer or a scientist or a doctor?
So besides that point i have to say that the character design is very bad in my opinion, i cant stand watching at their faces. They look so wrong and freaking ugly.

And did that one chick really say something bad about the holy "Citizen Kane"? I dropped it the second after that.
Jan 13, 2014 2:50 PM

Jul 2010
I'm sorry, this is not for me. At least from this kind of setting I want a good romance and a good character design, but obviously the minimum requirements both failed.
>dropped
Jan 13, 2014 6:21 PM

Aug 2013
Waiting for Love Live! Season 2, this will have to do. And hey, it certainly isn't bad.

The moment the girls start dancing on stage though... why was there a panty shot lmfao
Jan 13, 2014 8:45 PM

Dec 2011
Akanezora said:
I'm sorry, this is not for me. At least from this kind of setting I want a good romance and a good character design, but obviously the minimum requirements both failed.
>dropped

You want a romance from an idol show where idols are not allowed to have boyfriends? lol...

Kyuutoryuu said:
Waiting for Love Live! Season 2, this will have to do. And hey, it certainly isn't bad.

The moment the girls start dancing on stage though... why was there a panty shot lmfao

That is because they did it in their school uniforms. Once they get their real uniforms, you guys won't have to worry about panty shots.
whitehairgirlsJan 13, 2014 8:52 PM
Jan 13, 2014 8:58 PM

Oct 2010
This series is the epitome of why I force myself to watch every anime each season.
Who knows when you'd find a hidden diamond in the rough like this.

I appreciate how it builds the story from the very bottom of the slums up, emphasizing the trials and ordeals these everyday girls overcome in their attempt to realize their dreams, particularly the mystery and tragedy surrounding the past of Shimada Mayu, and the conflicting pain of watching the success of her former place of belonging, after being casted off into the streets. The catchy insert songs only serve to improve my already thoroughly impressed first opinion. I'm a sucker for a good idol/music anime.

It seems like next episode will be a major rite of passage for Matsuda - whether he finally regains a will of his own to protect the girls from this obviously malicious, perverted sack of shit producer, or whether he'll collapse under his own weakness and let down these girls full of hope.

I eagerly await the next episode.
Jan 13, 2014 9:48 PM

Jul 2010
whitehairgirls said:
Akanezora said:
>dropped

You want a romance from an idol show where idols are not allowed to have boyfriends? lol...

Yes, I do. I find utterly wrong that Idols can't have boyfriends just like others.
With all honesty, I don't even find Idols that much interesting as a concept for an anime.
I would like to see a show about actors, voice actors, dancers instead.
So the only way I could find an anime about Idols interesting is IF they had the requirements I previously said. But unfortunately this is not the case.
Jan 13, 2014 10:49 PM

Jul 2008
HowTragic said:
This series is the epitome of why I force myself to watch every anime each season.

I appreciate how it builds the story from the very bottom of the slums up, emphasizing the trials and ordeals these everyday girls overcome in their attempt to realize their dreams, particularly the mystery and tragedy surrounding the past of Shimada Mayu, and the conflicting pain of watching the success of her former place of belonging, after being casted off into the streets. The catchy insert songs only serve to improve my already thoroughly impressed first opinion. I'm a sucker for a good idol/music anime.

It seems like next episode will be a major rite of passage for Matsuda - whether he finally regains a will of his own to protect the girls from this obviously malicious, perverted sack of shit producer, or whether he'll collapse under his own weakness and let down these girls full of hope.

I'm pretty sure Matsuda won't work with the Yakuza manager but if he did, he's a douche.
Jan 13, 2014 11:17 PM

Aug 2013
whitehairgirls said:

That is because they did it in their school uniforms. Once they get their real uniforms, you guys won't have to worry about panty shots.

I actually don't mind fanservice. I like it. I just think it was stupidly random the way they placed that panty shot, but hey. Panties.

Pantsu.
Jan 14, 2014 5:16 AM

Oct 2010
ibreaker9736 said:
HowTragic said:

I'm pretty sure Matsuda won't work with the Yakuza manager but if he did, he's a douche.

In this current era of anime, male characters have degenerated to the point where I can no longer expect that will make the most obviously logical choice. With that being said, I also think they intentionally set up the situation as a method for Matsuda to "emerge from his shell". Forcing the girls to work in Yakuza management would completely kill the aura that the story has been nurturing so well.
Jan 14, 2014 5:51 AM

Apr 2011
I better hope Matsuda and the girls won't have to work with that douchebag...if he is really one.

There are other ways to earn money and be popular at the same time. They have a very tough road ahead.
MagitoJan 14, 2014 6:00 AM
Jan 15, 2014 1:13 AM

Aug 2013
Ohh so they really parted ways after their debut...

Ahh, and I-1 performing in Sendai, maybe they'll get to meet Mayu and I wonder what'll happen.

Looks like that Sudo-san was looking forward to a gravure shooting hahahaa. That's interesting!!!!

Ahh, that ED, how sad, hey that's shots from Reality, it's nice to see those...

Ahh, those seiyuu, so tall yet her character's voice was so small. Ohh, still wearing school uniform, quite against her looks.

Nice episode for starters... Gotta watch out for it.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Wake Up, Girls! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2014

59 by Rakabat »»
Aug 16, 2023 5:59 PM

Poll: » Wake Up, Girls! Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 17, 2014

107 by koneroko »»
May 2, 2022 11:33 PM

Poll: » Wake Up, Girls! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2014

100 by Serafos »»
Jun 13, 2021 9:20 AM

Poll: » Wake Up, Girls! Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 21, 2014

40 by Serafos »»
Jun 13, 2021 8:40 AM

Poll: » Wake Up, Girls! Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 7, 2014

47 by Serafos »»
Jun 13, 2021 6:57 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.