Forum Settings
Forums

Do you watch filler episodes or do you skip them?

New
Jan 1, 2014 3:48 PM
Dec 2013
I use a website that tells me what episodes of some anime (adapted from manga) are filler and what ones are canon.

I usually watch filler episodes, mostly when there aren't many filler episodes of that anime. But with Fullmetal Alchemist, I stopped watching it after episode 28 because the rest of the show isn't canon. I also plan to skip the filler episodes in Rurouni Kenshin, Naruto and Bleach, because there are too much filler in those anime.
wildhoodApr 18, 2017 3:20 PM
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 1, 2014 3:53 PM

Nov 2010
I always watch the filler of an anime when watching it the first time because it is part of the anime and I won't say I watched the anime without having watched all the anime. When I rewatch that anime, it depends on which I like, how many, etc that decides if I watch the fillers.
Jan 1, 2014 3:53 PM

Jan 2010
There's a site that actually lists filler episodes? Wow, how 'bout that.

Anyways, I don't skip fillers. Often, I'm not familiar with the source materials for anime, so I wouldn't know what episodes were filler to begin with. Even then, I can count on one hand the number of shows where I've actually skipped around, and those cases had pacing problems rather than problems with fillers.
Jan 1, 2014 3:54 PM

Apr 2013
I only skip them if I have already read the manga. If not, how the hell do I know if it isn't canon.

I watched all of fma without realizing it wasn't canon.
Jan 1, 2014 3:55 PM

Aug 2012
If the anime is 90% fillers and 10% episodes (like Naruto) I stop watching it

If the anime is 90% episodes and 10% fillers (like One Piece) I watch all
Jan 1, 2014 3:58 PM

Apr 2013
I try to skip anime that have a lot of fillers
an egomaniac and a fool

Jan 1, 2014 4:13 PM

Aug 2013
If they are good I will watch them but if they suck I will skip them so long story short it depends.
@OP You can definitely skip all the fillers in Naruto but you might like some of the fillers in Bleach and Rurouni Kenshin.

Bleach fillers I recommend - Zanpaktou arc before the beast swords are introduced, Gotei 13 Invading Army arc, the filler where Rukia is a genie and the one where she is a succubus. She looked really cute in those fillers.

Rurouni Kenshin fillers I recommend - episodes 67- 88 but you probably might find episodes 79-82 as boring . So after watching Kyoto arc (which is canon) watch Shougo Amakusa's arc and the episodes about the Black Knights. The fillers after 88 really suck so avoid them like the plague.
DrGeroCreationJan 1, 2014 4:22 PM
Jan 1, 2014 4:21 PM

Apr 2011
My OCD makes me watch them. This is also why I rate anime for overall not only the manga-eps (reason why Naruto has 7 not higher for me).
Jan 2, 2014 5:20 AM
Mar 2013
I skip them but if I hear they are good I go back and watch them at a later date.
Jan 2, 2014 5:21 AM

Jan 2014
i watch them
Jan 2, 2014 5:28 AM

May 2013
When I still watched Naruto I skipped most of the leaf history arc. Otherwise I don't skip fillers since I usually watch the anime first.
Jan 2, 2014 5:29 AM

Feb 2013
I always watch them.
Jan 2, 2014 6:00 AM

May 2008
Depends on the anime like Bleach and Naruto i usually skip those ones and one piece ones i usually watch!
Jan 2, 2014 6:03 AM

Jun 2008
I always watch fillers because i don't feel like i can add a show to completed if i haven't watched every episode.

Besides, i usually enjoy fillers.
Jan 2, 2014 6:10 AM

Dec 2012
Really depends on the context, if it contributes to back stories (Naruto) or the adventure (One Piece), I watch them. Unless it's something extremely dull like most Bleach filler arcs or makes no sense to me like One Piece and Toriko cross episodes (never seen Toriko), I'll just wing it and take it for what it is.

That only applies to longer running anime though, in 12-26 episode series I watch everything.
Jan 2, 2014 8:36 AM
Dec 2013
Chibi-Alice said:
I always watch fillers because i don't feel like i can add a show to completed if i haven't watched every episode.

Fair enough.
Jan 2, 2014 8:41 AM

Mar 2012
I watch them. A filler by itself is not bad, and you can't know if you'll like them if you don't watch them. It's kind of the same deal as with original endings.
Jan 2, 2014 10:17 AM

Jul 2012
i always watch them. I'm a completist. I don't feel that its right to say i watched the anime if i did not watch the entire thing. to me, thats a lie.
Jan 2, 2014 10:37 AM

Feb 2013
I always watch fillers. It's part of the anime and if I skipped them I wouldn't consider the anime completed. Some fillers can be pretty good too.
Jan 2, 2014 10:47 AM

Mar 2013
If I read the manga/light novel first and I'm ahead in terms of the plot than the anime then I skip the fillers.
If I haven't read the manga/light novel adaptation of that anime, I usually watch the fillers.
Jan 2, 2014 11:10 AM

Sep 2013
I don't really consider an anime completed if you skipped parts, even if its filler, so i force myself to watch them.
Jan 2, 2014 11:11 AM

Jun 2011
I usually watch fillers if they seem interesting. Otherwise I skip them.

Jan 2, 2014 11:35 AM

Sep 2011
I watch them since I can stand those. What I can't stand are the recaps.

Jan 2, 2014 11:43 AM

Apr 2011
The ONLY time I've EVER skipped filler was for Wolf's Rain. There were 4 episodes that were said to be recap? o.0
Otherwise, I have watched EVERY filler episode of the animes I watch. Skipping = miss the full experience. :3

EDIT: Oh, I watched Naruto in maybe 5th grade. I don't think I saw all the episodes. But then again, I wasn't really an anime watcher back then.

Hmm... I should probably take note of that in the list of mine. o.0
Jan 2, 2014 11:52 AM

Oct 2013
I dont read manga so i dont know which episodes are filler...
Jan 2, 2014 12:18 PM

Jun 2013
Chibi-Alice said:

Same here, some times filler episodes add to the characters of the show.
Jan 2, 2014 12:19 PM

Nov 2012
yeah i watch them, since i usually don't know which episodes are fillers anyway
Jan 2, 2014 3:23 PM

Sep 2012
yeah I watch em
Jan 2, 2014 4:53 PM

Jun 2007
Mr7Beans said:
lupadim said:
If the anime is 90% fillers and 10% episodes (like Naruto) I stop watching it

If the anime is 90% episodes and 10% fillers (like One Piece) I watch all

http://puu.sh/66ERf.png

Anyway, i do watch fillers. most of the time.
You really think people like Lupadim allow their posts to be dictated by fact-checkers?

The ONLY time I've EVER skipped filler was for Wolf's Rain. There were 4 episodes that were said to be recap? o.0
Recap =/= filler. Only "material not adapted from source material" = filler, not merely "material I find uninteresting." And since Wolf's Rain was an anime-original, it by definition contains no filler.

Actually, I did also skip those 4 Wolf's Rain recaps the first time I watched the series, though I did watch them on a later rewatch.
Jan 2, 2014 5:07 PM
Dec 2013
Depends on the anime. I used to hate them, but now I'm becoming more interested in them.
Jan 2, 2014 5:13 PM
Nov 2012
I cant say i've finished an anime till ive seen it T_T, at the same time i never finished a lot of stuff because of it i guess
Jan 2, 2014 5:34 PM

Jun 2013
The longest anime I've watched was 51 episodes. I simply don't have the patience for a super long series.
Jan 2, 2014 5:39 PM

Oct 2012
I generally find myself skipping filler, if I hear that the episodes in themselves are not particularly strong. I have nothing against non-canon material, but filler tends to drag on the plot longer than needed. My time isn't endless after all. There are too many shows on my watch list, not including anime.
Jan 2, 2014 5:43 PM

Nov 2010
CronaTheWeapon said:
The longest anime I've watched was 51 episodes. I simply don't have the patience for a super long series.
There are shorter anime that have filler. Your favorite anime is famous for having almost half the anime be it.
Jan 2, 2014 5:47 PM
Jan 2014
I watch filler episodes, but then again I watched Dragon-Ball Z when it was on tv and Naruto has 220 episodes, I don't remember that many mainly because I was a lot younger when I watched that one as well but sometimes the filler adds an element of fun to the serious tone of the story. For example if you have ever seen Ef:A Tale of Memories, and Ef:A Tale of Melodies, Death Note, and Sora No Otoshimono(Heaven's Lost Property). All those animes are amazing and I wouldn't not watch a single episode. Especially Sora No Otoshimono Tomoki is a very fun and hilarious main character and any episode that isn't part of the manga is fine with me because his plots and schemes genuinely make me laugh. Not watching filler can be a crime sometimes. Although, now if I ever went to watch Dragon-Ball Z I wouldn't be able to do it because it is incredibly slow paced. So I think if there is an anime in which you feel you should be skipping episodes chances are it's a bad anime and you shouldn't be watching it in the first place. I am looking at you Naruto Shippuden.
Jan 2, 2014 8:01 PM

Feb 2013
If I haven't dropped it already... I will watch the fillers.
Jan 2, 2014 10:52 PM

Aug 2013
By the time I realize that an episode is a filler, I'm already halfway in so I just watch it all. So yes I watch fillers.
Jan 2, 2014 10:53 PM

Feb 2013
Chibi-Alice said:

Same here.
Jan 2, 2014 11:20 PM

Apr 2007
Fusion_ha said:
But with Fullmetal Alchemist, I stopped watching it after episode 28 because the rest of the show is filler.

I think that's a little stupid, to be honest. I think there's a difference between filler and an anime diverging from the manga storyline. The fillers in Naruto, Bleach, etc have no bearing on the plot of the series as large - the things that happen in filler episodes are rarely or never mentioned outside of the filler arc in which they happened, so if you skip them you're not missing anything.

On the other hand, the first FMA was a complete divergence from manga canon - it was a conscious decision on the part of the producers to go in a different direction. The way things play out in the first FMA anime is so different from the manga that it would have been impossible to adapt the rest of the manga; there were just too many incompatibilities.

There were only a few ways the first Fullmetal Alchemist anime could have played out: it could have (a) gone on hiatus until the manga had enough to adapt, (b) aired dozens upon dozens of those filler episodes you so abhor while waiting for the manga to have enough material to adapt, or (c) Ended on its own terms with a story that was true to the spirit of the original manga.

If you skip the anime-only material in the first Fullmetal Alchemist anime, you're basically dropping a perfectly good anime halfway through.
Jan 2, 2014 11:44 PM

Jul 2012
some filler episodes are full of random nonsense and I love random nonsense.

I wonder if there's a anime, where the whole thing is a filler.
Jan 3, 2014 1:09 AM

Apr 2010
Depends, some fillers are good, some are crap. I usually find out if they are worth watching beforehand, or if they add to the story. If they don't add to the story they need to be entertaining, otherwise I'll just skip them, sif wasting precious good anime viewing time lol.
Jan 3, 2014 1:23 AM

Jun 2012
I used to watch all the filler but if I were to dip back into Shippuden or HxH I'm not so sure. It's one of the primary reasons I haven't done long running shounen in a while. Adding a title to my list and rating it without watching everything would make me feel dirty and at the same time I don't want to sit through another 100 episodes of boring arcs like I did with Naruto.
Jan 3, 2014 1:37 AM

Apr 2013
I usually watch fillers, but Naruto is an exception. Just yesterday I skipped about 20 episodes and I've got absolutely no regrets about it. I mean, why should I bother watching something I know I won't enjoy just to have a feel of completeness?
Screw that, I got better things to do...
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Jan 3, 2014 2:48 AM

Aug 2013
It all depends on the anime. If it is Naruto or Bleach fillers I would skip them as they have so many episodes. For One piece and fairy tail I would watch them as I enjoy the anime hehe. I can't stand recaps and watching some anime twice though.
[/quote]
Jan 3, 2014 9:46 AM

Jul 2012
geralt said:
I usually watch fillers, but Naruto is an exception. Just yesterday I skipped about 20 episodes and I've got absolutely no regrets about it. I mean, why should I bother watching something I know I won't enjoy just to have a feel of completeness?
Screw that, I got better things to do...

even though i already stated that i think its a lie to label an anime "completed" if you haven't watched the whole thing, i totally feel your pain.

i love naruto for many reasons (yah, hate me! lol) but the filler is extensive and makes me wanna choke a bitch lol
Jan 3, 2014 11:20 AM

Feb 2013
Watch all of it since it's a part of the anime
Jan 3, 2014 12:15 PM

Aug 2009
I've always skipped the fillers in Naruto and Bleach, because they lack the same quality as the original story. I did watch one filler arc in Naruto though - and enjoyed it a lot.. Don't remember with it was :P
Jan 3, 2014 1:22 PM
Sep 2010
Depends on the anime for me.
Jan 3, 2014 3:04 PM

Jun 2008
CronaTheWeapon said:

Length has nothing to say. Even shorter series can have fillers.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

21 by logopolis »»
2 minutes ago

» So is Shin-Chan actually G rated and the Funimation Dub was like Ghost Stories or is it Adult in nature like Oruchuban Ebichu

vasipi4946 - 2 hours ago

3 by vasipi4946 »»
4 minutes ago

» Tell me why older anime is better that newer anime. ( 1 2 )

fluffycow17 - Mar 24, 2021

58 by MasterTasuke »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » how often do you self insert or empathize with anime characters? and do you experience how good or bad the characters situation or experience is too

deg - 36 minutes ago

8 by deg »»
7 minutes ago

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

35 by logopolis »»
7 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.