Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (199) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Dec 9, 2013 7:33 PM

Aug 2012
Random question:

Should I make a thread?

There's something on my mind and I'm not sure whether it'll blow up or not.
Dec 9, 2013 7:35 PM

Jan 2009
MellowJello said:
Random question:

Should I make a thread?

as long as the thread is not breaking any rules then why not
Dec 9, 2013 7:35 PM
Jan 2013
MellowJello said:
Random question:

Should I make a thread?

MellowJello makes best threads.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 9, 2013 7:36 PM

Feb 2012
MellowJello said:
Random question:

Should I make a thread?

Make one when you reach 12345 posts.
Dec 9, 2013 7:36 PM

Aug 2012
Three different replies all suggesting I make a thread.

I shall do the opposite and not make a thread.

Good day, all.
Dec 10, 2013 3:30 AM

Aug 2011
lupadim said:
-Zeaos said:
lupadim said:
-GOAT- said:
I'm trying to get a bottle of wine for my mom for Christmas, but idk anything about wine. Anyone have any suggestions?
The older the wine, the better. I am not talking about days, I am talking about years. Something like 10 years old wine would be perfect for the occasion.
10 years old wine isn't considered old.
It is. You weren't even born at that time probably

Calling you dumb isn't even worth it..
Smiles and laughter are always good, but never forget your Poker Face.~
Dec 10, 2013 5:19 AM

Aug 2012
MellowJello said:
Random question:

Should I make a thread?

Go ahead, but be careful, the moderation is removing the ability to create threads from people that create very famous threads, so if your thread blow up, you'll probably be unable to create threads as well. I won't be creating any interesting threads this month, so you should go and create something that will entertain the MAL users.
-Zeaos said:
lupadim said:
-Zeaos said:
lupadim said:
-GOAT- said:
I'm trying to get a bottle of wine for my mom for Christmas, but idk anything about wine. Anyone have any suggestions?
The older the wine, the better. I am not talking about days, I am talking about years. Something like 10 years old wine would be perfect for the occasion.
Calling you dumb isn't even worth it.
Calling me dumb won't change the fact 10 years old wine is old.
Dec 10, 2013 8:39 AM

Apr 2013
lupadim said:
MellowJello said:
Random question:

Should I make a thread?

Go ahead, but be careful, the moderation is removing the ability to create threads from people that create very famous threads, so if your thread blow up, you'll probably be unable to create threads as well. I won't be creating any interesting threads this month, so you should go and create something that will entertain the MAL users.
-Zeaos said:
lupadim said:
-Zeaos said:
lupadim said:
-GOAT- said:
Calling you dumb isn't even worth it.
Calling me dumb won't change the fact 10 years old wine is old.

I prefer my wine newborn.

Straight from the factory to my lap.

You should get some of that.
I love naruto~kun he's my husbando~~~~
Dec 10, 2013 9:17 AM

Nov 2012
Is there really a general rule about how many years it takes for wine to be considered old?

Not to mention old wine doesn't equal good wine.

Depending on the type/region/storage/whatever, 2-3 years can be enough to bring out its potential, but 1 year might be enough for most to begin deteriorating.
Dec 11, 2013 2:23 PM

Aug 2012
I like this thread, so I'm gonna ask more banal questions.

So my non-stick pan, after frying several oily things (namely summer sausage), seems to have developed a "crust" of stuck-on oil, that not even the dish washer can get out. The problem being that this "oil" doesn't really help things not stick.

So, I need help getting rid of it so my nonstick pan is actually non stick.

And no, I ain't buying a new pan. I'm poor.
Dec 11, 2013 2:27 PM

Aug 2009
MellowJello said:

So my non-stick pan, after frying several oily things (namely summer sausage), seems to have developed a "crust" of stuck-on oil, that not even the dish washer can get out. The problem being that this "oil" doesn't really help things not stick.

Have you tried manually cleaning it with some dishwashing liquid? Or maybe take a knife and scrape it off?
Dec 11, 2013 2:31 PM
Mar 2013
@MellowJello

1.) Fill the pan with water and add 3-4 drops of vinegar.
2.) Set the pan on the stove and bring the water to a boil
3.) After a while you'll see the oil seperate from the pan and float to the surface
4.) When you see the oil layer then you can take the pan off the stove and throw away the water/oil mixture
5.) Wash the pan as you would normally

I hope you reconsider using non-stick pans. All of them are made from teflon which is not safe for humans.

http://www.ewg.org/research/healthy-home-tips/tip-6-skip-non-stick-avoid-dangers-teflon

Olveparty said:
Have you tried manually cleaning it with some dishwashing liquid? Or maybe take a knife and scrape it off?
I wouldn't recommend this because you could damage the non-stick coating by doing this.

Best to follow Vudis' advice and buy a good ceramic one. I have one and trust me you won't go wrong ^_^
emeraldrosaryDec 11, 2013 2:41 PM
Dec 11, 2013 2:32 PM

Mar 2009
Hm, dish washer is generally not a good idea for any pan.
The easiest way out of this would've been cleaning it per hand after every dish you make.
I'd just try whatever dishwashing liquid you have at home and try to get rid of that crust.
Steel wool could help if you have that at home.
Or just buy a new one....poor Mellow.

If you buy a new one I'd advise you to buy a ceramic pan.
They're really easy to clean because there's hardly any food getting stuck on the pan.
Dec 11, 2013 2:52 PM

Aug 2012
emeraldrosary said:
@MellowJello

1.) Fill the pan with water and add 3-4 drops of vinegar.
2.) Set the pan on the stove and bring the water to a boil
3.) After a while you'll see the oil seperate from the pan and float to the surface
4.) When you see the oil layer then you can take the pan off the stove and throw away the water/oil mixture
5.) Wash the pan as you would normally
I'll do this and see how it turns out.

Vudis said:
The easiest way out of this would've been cleaning it per hand after every dish you make.
If you buy a new one I'd advise you to buy a ceramic pan.
They're really easy to clean because there's hardly any food getting stuck on the pan.
On that first note, I do rinse after every cook. But washing after every use is a pain in the butt.
Hmm. You know the reason why I probably have this problem is because the pan is cheap. *sigh*

On realization I just noticed I've been treating my non-stick pan like a cast iron skillet. Great.
Dec 11, 2013 2:58 PM

Aug 2009
emeraldrosary said:
I wouldn't recommend this because you could damage the non-stick coating by doing this.

That's probably the reason why my non-stick pan no longer is non-stick. I know they told me at the store not to use metal in it and only wooden/plastic tools, but fuck that shit, I am not buying a wooden anything.
Dec 11, 2013 3:00 PM

Aug 2012
Olveparty said:
emeraldrosary said:
That's probably the reason why my non-stick pan no longer is non-stick. I know they told me at the store not to use metal in it and only wooden/plastic tools, but fuck that shit, I am not buying a wooden anything.
It's like you have to make the choice of "do I want my pan to gradually lose its non-stick coating, or do I want my wooden tools to absorb all sorts of funky flavors after several uses?"

Oh, I forgot. About the dish washing liquid; yeah I tried that. No dice.
Dec 11, 2013 3:00 PM

Mar 2009
A wooden spoon is essential for cooking! Olve pls.

Also yea, everyone should buy ceramic pans. They're not really that much more expensive but they're sooo comfy.

Edit:
You can put your wooden spoon into the dishwasher though.
Dec 11, 2013 3:01 PM

Feb 2010
Olveparty said:
emeraldrosary said:

Over time violent use of wooden tools will also damag the non-stick coating in my personal experience, so you only gain some time anyway.

@Mellow: I usually just use hot water + dishwashing liquid and let the whole thing soak for a day or two, then I go in with the scrub. Depending on how intensely the food burnt that process may have to be repeated a couple of times until the pan returns to its original state. That method needs patience, but I have a second and third pan to use in the meantime because I live in luxury :P
I probably regret this post by now.
Dec 11, 2013 3:02 PM

Nov 2012
Olveparty said:
emeraldrosary said:

Yeah, fuck them, I do what I want!

Seriously though, how does one exist without wooden spoon?
Dec 11, 2013 3:05 PM

Aug 2009
I have one teflon whatever non-stick and one iron pan. What am I going to do with a wooden spoon when I cook my delicious steaks? I have a metal spatula and it's been with me for so long, I am never giving it up!
Dec 11, 2013 3:06 PM

Mar 2009
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
That method needs patience, but I have a second and third pan to use in the meantime because I live in luxury :P
Or you just use your pot instead.
To make Reisfleisch.
Everyday.
Dec 11, 2013 3:15 PM

Feb 2010
Vudis said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
That method needs patience, but I have a second and third pan to use in the meantime because I live in luxury :P
Or you just use your pot instead.
To make Reisfleisch.
Everyday.

Blergh, Reisfleisch. When I cook I prefer stuff like Chili con carne or other stuff I'm not sure how to translate into english. Not a fan of Reisfleisch though.
I probably regret this post by now.
Dec 11, 2013 3:17 PM

Nov 2012
Olveparty said:
I have a metal spatula and it's been with me for so long, I am never giving it up!
I'm shipping this. New OTP.
Dec 11, 2013 3:20 PM

Mar 2011
zoknimano said:
Olveparty said:
I have a metal spatula and it's been with me for so long, I am never giving it up!

Metal spatula? Does that even work? Actually, I bet you mean something different than I would to spatula....

Plastic Spatulas are good. Definitely not evil.
Dec 11, 2013 3:38 PM

Aug 2009
Infinite said:
zoknimano said:
Olveparty said:

Metal spatula? Does that even work? Actually, I bet you mean something different than I would to spatula....

Those things that you flip burgers and steaks with. If not, I have a question for the advice thread! What do you call those things in English?
Dec 11, 2013 3:45 PM

Nov 2012
Yeah, that's a spatula, as far as I know.
Dec 11, 2013 3:51 PM

Jul 2012
MellowJello said:

Depends on how long you've had this pan for, it might be time to get a new one. Dishwashing a frying pan probably isn't the best solution. If you haven't been able to get it clean with some hot water and dish soap, it's probably best to just a get a new one, one a little more high quality if you plan on doing a lot cooking with it. I'll get you one for Christmas. <3
Dec 11, 2013 4:32 PM

Jul 2012
i am guessing your pan is dirt cheap. i own them as well. they promise the world and can't deliver it

everything today is made to "break". we live in a world where we are enticed with cheap materials that are sub-standard and end up in the trash far sooner than we think they will.

MINI RANT!!! but u get my idea. i think ^^
Dec 11, 2013 5:04 PM

Mar 2011
Olveparty said:
Infinite said:
zoknimano said:
Olveparty said:

Those things that you flip burgers and steaks with. If not, I have a question for the advice thread! What do you call those things in English?

I just realised that there are two different implements in the kitchen that are both called spatulas but are meant for entirely different things, unless I'm going a bit senile (possible).

There's the kind you mentioned, and the kind that you use to scrape the leftover bits from the bowl during the cooking process. Like when you have cake mixture that you're transferring from the bowl you were mixing it in and the cake tin you'll be cooking it in.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/images/products/gubbrora-rubber-spatula__0146521_PE305464_S4.JPG
Usually made from plastic or rubber.
Dec 11, 2013 9:22 PM

Aug 2012
Random mini question.

Is it better to study in comfort, or to study in slight (not going to drive you insane) discomfort?
Dec 11, 2013 9:23 PM

Nov 2012
I don't know about better, but I can only study in discomfort. Also I like to move around a lot, walking up and down in the room.
Dec 11, 2013 9:24 PM
Mar 2013
If by comfort you mean in bed/cozy chair then no. It'd be better if you studied in a slightly discomfortable position so you don't get sleepy.
Dec 11, 2013 9:24 PM

Aug 2012
emeraldrosary said:
If by comfort you mean in bed/cozy chair then no. It'd be better if you studied in a slightly discomfortable position so you don't get sleepy.
While I head off to the library, can you think of an uncomfortable position then?
Dec 11, 2013 9:26 PM
Mar 2013
Sitting cross legged on a chair is discomforting. Especially as time goes on.
Dec 11, 2013 10:02 PM

Aug 2012
Okey pokey artichokey. Thanks.
Dec 11, 2013 10:04 PM

Oct 2013
My dear dove flew away today, I'm torn apart, help!

D:
Coño!
Dec 11, 2013 10:07 PM
Mar 2013
MellowJello said:
Okey pokey artichokey. Thanks.
Speaking of artichokes, when you're studying at home (I'm not sure if the library allows food but probably not) take a a container full of broccoli pieces.

Pop one in your mouth every 10-15 minutes (or as often as you like). It is supposedly a brain food and should help you in studying. Plus the after taste will be slightly discomforting as well. It doesn't have to be broccoli (that's what I use) it could be a bowl of lettuce, some grapes etc.
Dec 11, 2013 10:29 PM
SetoMary Fanatic

Jun 2013
Jose-Ramon said:
My dear dove flew away today, I'm torn apart, help!

D:

If you are willing, you can buy another one here
Dec 11, 2013 11:07 PM

Aug 2012
Another studying related question.

Having trouble timing my studying. So, here are three options:
  • Study now, sleep later. Wake up right before final.
  • Study for a little bit now, go to sleep early, wake up and study a few hours before final.
  • Sleep now, wake up and study several hours before final.

I've tried all options before, but can't be sure which one's more effective. I need your help MAL!
Dec 11, 2013 11:08 PM

Sep 2011
I think that depends, how comfortable are you with the material as it stands?
Dec 11, 2013 11:10 PM

Aug 2012
l-_-l said:
It's a 45% course grade to pass, and my current grade standing is somewhere around 42% (don't judge).

So... roughly need to get like 50% or higher on my final.

Studying should take about 2-3 hours to understand all the material.
There's practice finals and posted solutions as well.
Dec 11, 2013 11:13 PM
Mar 2013
MellowJello said:
l-_-l said:
It's a 45% course grade to pass, and my current grade standing is somewhere around 42% (don't judge).

So... roughly need to get like 50% or higher on my final.

Studying should take about 2-3 hours to understand all the material.
There's practice finals and posted solutions as well.
I'm in the same position as you right now believe it or not. Which is why I'm still awake >.>

You said you have practice finals correct? I suggest you study enough to complete one of the finals and retire to bed for a couple hours.

Then, take a shower, eat a boiled egg or something, and get to your desk and blaze through the rest of the practice materials.
Dec 11, 2013 11:18 PM

Aug 2012
Kay, will do. Emerald stop being so useful!
Dec 11, 2013 11:21 PM

Sep 2011
One of my classes has a passing point at 64, and according to the scores I've been keeping track of I have pretty much exactly a 64, so no judgment here.

AH, I don't want to give you bad advise and fail your class, but...

What I would do would be to take 1 to 2 hours going over material, making an outline of what I don't know or feel is the most important. Read over the outline a few times and sleep on it, then when you wake up go over the outline again. That's how I usually study the night before, though I'm not sure how applicable that would be to your class. Gotta make sure you're well rested too, so if 1 to 2 hours puts you up too late I'd say just go to bed.

I just had two finals today, one I studied the night prior, like above. And the other I studied the hours beforehand. I felt alright on both so it might just be preference, I guess.

Oh, the second exam was completely multiple choice, so if you have long answer perhaps study those tonight like emeraldrosary said.
EeyoreDec 11, 2013 11:30 PM
Dec 11, 2013 11:24 PM

Nov 2013
All of that studying talk makes me happy I never got beyond high school... At which I never studied, because studying makes me want to kick bunnies, which isn't something I'd want to do.
/人 ‿‿ 人\
Mar 2013
MellowJello said:
Kay, will do. Emerald stop being so useful!
My apologies, but I didn't read this since I was busy typing up what you see below.

Study Methods

Study now, sleep later. Wake up right before final

Pros
- The most ideal choice (atleast for me) because you have nothing to worry about when you wake up (nothing except the exam)
- Your brain will be rested when you walk into the exam and you will be able to think more clearly
- Memories are retained through sleep so memorization will be clearer

Cons
- If you believe in him, may god help you if you oversleep and miss your exam

Study for a little bit now, go to sleep early, wake up and study a few hours before final

Pros
- Some of the material is retained while sleeping so it is better for clearer memorization in my case

Cons
- You'll be coming into the exam with your brain still processing last minute information. Somewhat useful for MC questions but not for LA
- Not a good idea to enter a race with half a tank of gas left right? Same logic here.

Sleep now, wake up and study several hours before final.

Pros
- You get to sleep now
- Last minute information is valuable for MC questions and possible SA, but LA will screw you over 100% of the time

Cons
- You are pushing everything back again which is the same thing that got you into this mess in the first place
- Mental and physical fatigue levels will rise since there is no break, you'll be going straight from studying to exam

Phew, my fingers are tired. Good luck MellowJello :)

I hope you do well my friend, exams are a stressful time.
emeraldrosaryDec 11, 2013 11:30 PM

Feb 2012
MellowJello said:
Another studying related question.

Having trouble timing my studying. So, here are three options:
  • Study now, sleep later. Wake up right before final.
  • Study for a little bit now, go to sleep early, wake up and study a few hours before final.
  • Sleep now, wake up and study several hours before final.

I've tried all options before, but can't be sure which one's more effective. I need your help MAL!
I can always study at least three times more efficiently when I take a nap beforehand. If you only have one night, I would suggest sleeping for like 2 hours, then studying until you feel that you are ready. If that means pulling an all nighter then that's what it means.
Dec 12, 2013 12:04 PM

Aug 2012
More random help needed.

I'm in need of a mouse pad that 1) doesn't let my mouse slide around when placed on an uneven surface (the bed), 2) Doesn't gradually curl up/deform because of a cloth-based top, and 3) doesn't have the rubber base separate from the top material (good adhesive).

Pricing has to be under 20 bucks. Cause I could just buy a new pan with 20 bucks.
Dec 13, 2013 6:08 AM

Jun 2012
why does my university library not have the famished road by ben okri anywhere
what the stink japan

anyone know if its any good tho
~"The place to improve the world is first in one's own heart and head and hands." (Pirsig)

Dec 13, 2013 8:31 AM

Jul 2012
I retired from school, but i always studied quite hard the night before, slept (as much as you can) and review all notes quickly in the morning

i've never had anything below an A- in my whole life, so yah, that works for me
Pages (199) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» I am trying to get over 10,000 posts on this site by the end of this year....

DesuMaiden - May 1

26 by kusairo »»
3 minutes ago

» How do you travel daily

ST63LTH - 7 hours ago

10 by LightWorker »»
18 minutes ago

Poll: » What is your average step count? [Poll] Do you think that you should take more steps?

Miscanthus - Apr 27

48 by ManWild »»
30 minutes ago

Poll: » do you believe in near term human extinction or NTHE?

deg - May 1

47 by WaffleMaster89 »»
37 minutes ago

» Manga piracy website operator ordered to pay ¥1.7 billion to publishers

Meusnier - Apr 19

35 by Strahan »»
43 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.