Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 17, 2012 3:43 PM

Nov 2011
Ahhh wind, a loli's only weakness D=.

"I like to expose what people hide. I'm an intellectual rapist." - Furudo Erika
Oct 9, 2012 11:41 AM

Nov 2009
DarkShards said:

hahaha, anyways I'm now curious, did he leave Ayu's body there under that tree? I mean he goes running back to that tree screaming Ayu as if he left her there. Also wondering if anybody ever found her body, since she lost her Mom and never mentions her dad, she seems to have been like a child without any family since the beginning of the series. I just hope that either the "Miracle" that everyone is mentioning happens now or never, I really don't want an ending like Clannad Afterstory (I won't spoil it any further since now that I think about it their is no guarantee someone who reads this has seen Clannad). Anyways I hope their is a Miracle that can explain Ayu's appearance and really hoping they don't find a frozen corpse by that tree.
Oct 9, 2012 12:23 PM
Dec 2007
Pirating_Ninja said:
DarkShards said:

hahaha, anyways I'm now curious, did he leave Ayu's body there under that tree? I mean he goes running back to that tree screaming Ayu as if he left her there. Also wondering if anybody ever found her body, since she lost her Mom and never mentions her dad, she seems to have been like a child without any family since the beginning of the series. I just hope that either the "Miracle" that everyone is mentioning happens now or never, I really don't want an ending like Clannad Afterstory (I won't spoil it any further since now that I think about it their is no guarantee someone who reads this has seen Clannad). Anyways I hope their is a Miracle that can explain Ayu's appearance and really hoping they don't find a frozen corpse by that tree.
Heh, but no they obviously found her as the tree was cut down "because" of the accident. That implies people found her, regardless of her state at the moment. He runs to the tree because that's where the key to unlocking his memory is, in the place he promised Ayu he'd return to (their "school"). So he wanted to both confirm it and find Ayu, or at least her spirit.

Oct 31, 2012 7:06 PM

Aug 2011
I love all of the childhood scenes between Yuuichi and Ayu. They make such a cute couple. I was really shocked when she fell out of that tree. The direction for that particular scene was brilliant.

It was great to see Makoto again even if it was for a few seconds. Auu~
Nov 8, 2012 11:28 AM

Sep 2011
Yeah, it was kind of obvious what really happened to Ayu. Can't wait to see the finale. I sure fucking hope everything is solved, I can't take more :(

The random Makoto scene was weird... Unless there will be more of course.
RazielZeroNov 8, 2012 11:33 AM
Dec 18, 2012 5:57 PM

Dec 2009
Great episode. I`m really curious about the ending...
Dec 19, 2012 7:11 PM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
Depressing X_X......Man Ayu's ARC FCKKKING AMAZING!!! Definitely BEST for LAST. That's some touching/moving Drama!
張大です for 張大勇督察
Dec 19, 2012 7:13 PM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
QQ_Moar_Scrub said:
Definitely starting to improve. The emotion doesn't feel so forced anymore, and it's good that he's starting to remember.

The thing with Ayu was kind of...I don't know...eh. So she's been dead this whole time? :l Marvelous, Yuuichi almost got it on with a specter. To be honest, in context, it really doesn't explain anything besides being kind of similar(in the form of an accident) to what happened to Akiko. Wait and see I guess.

I'm kind of curious what "Key Magic" is going to happen, especially with Makoto coming back. I remember Clannad :P

Still, good episode Can't wait to see how 23 and 24 pan out.
yeah IKR? The Mai arc was pretty forced, but this arc actually good LOL
張大です for 張大勇督察
Dec 19, 2012 7:15 PM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
CrimsonPhantom said:
I love all of the childhood scenes between Yuuichi and Ayu. They make such a cute couple. I was really shocked when she fell out of that tree. The direction for that particular scene was brilliant.

It was great to see Makoto again even if it was for a few seconds. Auu~
same here, i was all O.O! when Ayu falling off the tree
張大です for 張大勇督察
Aug 2, 2013 9:42 PM
Jul 2018
OMG What's gonna happen?! And what was up with Makoto?
On to the next episode.
Sep 28, 2013 8:25 PM
Nov 2011
been rewatching.... I shrieked at Akiko, and then cried again all over again over Ayu.

Im glad I watched this part alone though. I had been watching it with my son, but I forgot how powerful the emotional rollercoaster here was.
Be thankful for those you have near who are dear
For time is not always kind to those who would be on your mind
Seize the day, some exclaim, but that which is past, no more shall have its day.
Jan 7, 2014 9:43 PM

Aug 2013
That's too much of a trauma for a little girl like that to handle... I wonder if Yuuichi will be able to make him forgiven for what he have done in the past. It wasn't really is fault, the shock he must have had from Ayu death/coma must be unbearable.

About what happened to Ayu, I think pretty much everyone understanded what happened before even showing the sequence. But what I wonder is if she's really dead. For me there is 2 possibilities. First, she's in the coma and she must be paralysed partially or totally. The way she said she couldn't move and that she didn't fell pain let me believe that she got paralysed. The second option is that she did indeed die and that somehow, he passed some week with her seven years later. In the two case, it wasn't really Ayu (physically at least) with who he passed those week. Maybe its a little like [MAJOR CLANNAD SPOILER]

The headband, he never gave her in reality. But she was wearing it during those week. God I'm confused.

About the end, I guess the light was either a flashlight from someone passing by (police patrol or whatever) or the headlight of a car. Makoto must have been from his dream, they met in that forest, so he surely looked for her confort. Anyway, he'll surely finish in the hospital (it seem that everyone in this show does xD ) and will have to recover there. I have fate that Akiko will recover, she didn't seem in a bad state as much as I though.

This show is so fucking sad, I have difficulty to bear with it. This better end well, around a table with everyone eatting cake :'(
minouneetzoeJan 7, 2014 9:55 PM
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Apr 23, 2014 1:14 AM

Apr 2011
Totally see that coming ever since I saw the flashback wich the main chair crying on the bench a few ep back. But still *Dat feeling*, damn....
Jul 3, 2014 10:51 AM

Oct 2013
"Maybe if I just stay still like this, maybe I can go to where she is."

Shit, that is intense. It's like he was saying he was willing to die just to see her.

I was so happy to see Makoto again! But why did she show up so suddenly, I wonder?

No tears on my end; I haven't cried since episode 10. But man, I did come pretty close in this episode.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Dec 30, 2014 11:01 PM
Aug 2013
Ayu flashback made me cry. That is all.
Dec 31, 2014 12:33 AM

May 2011
This made me teared, even after my second time (having watched Kanon 2002 first). Just give it a bit more time, and Kanon becomes one of the most powerful drama messages in all of anime. I am really really impressed with the snowstorm sequence and that Yuuichi actually 'died' while walking up the hill to find Ayu. (Revitalised by Makoto, which is something noteworthy as the Toei did not bring the girls back as often after their respective arcs ended.)

It was also less dramatic in the Toei version, and I am really glad KyoAni did so, to supersede their predecessor. However, the red hairband as a gift not to be given as the main concept behind the old Kanon is way more impacting and powerful, implying that it was a gift given, but retrieved back as he wanted to seemingly "lock" his memories forever by hiding the hairband with himself, not to remember the feeling of losing Ayu.

Nayuki was also way more depressed in this remaster, and it honestly helped to emphasise that feeling of losing the only one you have even more prominently. Prominent being the part when Yuuichi was trying to comfort Nayuki, but made an insensitive statement about him being with her - that was seriously the best scene in this episode, apart from the ending part.

In the 2002 version, there is also not enough screentime to bring out that drama, and Nayuki felt more distant than desolate in the original. (Not in a bad way, but unsuitable in this situation of losing your only loved one.)

Kei-clone is ever so misleading with his comments, if only I have watched this earlier to make my comments visible in the front page...in no way is the 2002 version totally inferior compared to this remaster. While it is very apparent now that which is slightly better, the 2002 version still gave me a huge influence towards me liking Kanon and actually served as the benchmark for what I should expect in this remaster.

10/5, not just 6/5 for this episode.
grayrebornnhyDec 31, 2014 12:37 AM
"If you reject me, I'll blast a hole in you!" Kanzaki H. Aria
Just kidding.

Dec 31, 2014 12:40 AM

May 2011
MajorBadAzz said:
Ayu flashback made me cry. That is all.

It's not really a matter of crying in Kanon to be honest. I personally feel that the 'exaggeration' in the drama sequences all around Kanon which actually make it decent, and if analysed carefully, thought twice, the foreshadowing are actually all done very well in Kanon. You don't get to see such intense foreshadows and gradually-built story sequences in anime that often. And for the most part this anime only made me tear and not even cry.
"If you reject me, I'll blast a hole in you!" Kanzaki H. Aria
Just kidding.

Jan 29, 2017 2:04 PM

Jan 2013
Did the guy seriously have to drive past where the accident happened?
Yeah let's just leave the breakfast right on the floor with a cat in house ... - Never mind, apparently it's been untouched the entire day.

All the little things regarding Ayu already made me suspect "Ayu" wasn't actually Ayu, the school, parents etc.
Kinda curious how they'll wrap this up.
Apr 9, 2017 9:23 AM

Aug 2014
yeah I kinda new that this happened with Ayu

I am more interested what is wrong with this whole anime story and with Yuuichi
because there is something wrong... all this illusionary and not existing girls not remembering the past and so on...
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ちゅっ ちゅっ キス (´。✪ω✪。`)

I hate it when anime/manga that I enjoyed ends, especially when there could be much longer plot and when I love main heroine :P

I wish I had magic glasses that let me see real world in anime colors ;)
Jul 25, 2020 12:40 PM

May 2018
Ayu died when they were younger? Is she also some sort of ghost?
Jul 29, 2020 5:34 PM
Review Moderator
Book Princess

Nov 2018
Kitagawa is a great friend. While in most ways I prefer Clannad to Kanon (so far) I really wish that Sunohara were a more competent individual like Kitagawa instead of being a complete goofball.
Every day you can read a book or watch some anime is a good day!
Aug 27, 2020 11:19 PM

Oct 2007
this time, Makoto made me cry. I actually cared more for her reappearance than what happened to Ayu. auuuu ;___;

depressed Nayuki.. her room is dark, like her emotions.

still hoping for happy ending.
Sep 9, 2020 4:32 AM

Oct 2007
Keirik said:
Oh, god. I wasn't prepared for Makoto. I haven't cried like this since Fuko's arc in Clannad.

It's decided. Kanon is officially #1 on my favourites.

nice to see another person who likes Makoto. :>
Nov 17, 2020 9:06 AM

Mar 2013
Nice to see Yuuichi actually remember other girls like Makoto (and her making a cameo) instead of just totally disappear in the story without a mention like Kaori and Mai.

Also I know its anime, but where are their parents? Who in the right mind let two 10 years old run off to a jungle to hang out
Dec 25, 2020 8:02 PM

Apr 2016
So basically this anime essentially killed off Akiko to progress the relationship between Nayuki and Yuichi. It sure isn't pulling any punches. It's very annoying how the characters just get disposed of to invoke an emotional response. Flashbacks are also way overused, and the same ones to boot. There are just so many issues.
Dec 25, 2020 8:05 PM

Apr 2016
Wait what? Did Makoto return out of thin air?
Feb 16, 2022 8:16 AM

May 2020
Now we know what actually happened with Ayu back then, kinda expecting it to be something like that given the circumstances we had around the other girls too. So would say back to back intense episodes.

Also been saying this all along but this amnesiac plot didn't grow well with me, even some of those rather sentimental moments didn't got me feel anything at all which its counterpart Clannad sure did. But anyways only two episodes now, let's see how they'll wrap this up.
Aug 14, 2023 2:18 PM

Nov 2010
I'm surprised Akiko survived that, and her face is still intact. Also, there wasn't a lot of blood in the scene. In real life, she'd be a bloody chunk of meat on the road.

So that's how Ayu died—another freak accident. Is that why she looks like a grade-schooler even though she's 15 or 16? In the previous episode, she also mentioned wanting to grow up like Nayuki one day.

That scene of Makoto comforting Yuuichi made me a bit emotional. It's too bad she's just a ghost.
Oct 27, 2023 1:02 AM

Jan 2015
OMG STOP NOT THE MOTHER IM GONNA CRY
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Kanon (2006) Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

kei-clone - Dec 15, 2006

57 by KingOfPneumos »»
Apr 22, 12:18 AM

Poll: » Kanon (2006) Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Metty - Jan 30, 2008

63 by metalrain_15 »»
Mar 5, 12:35 AM

Poll: » Kanon (2006) Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 10, 2007

162 by asbest0sdust »»
Feb 29, 4:21 AM

» Kanon (2006) Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Aokaado - Dec 30, 2006

83 by SailorFairyDxD24 »»
Jan 31, 2:26 PM

Poll: » Kanon (2006) Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Metty - Jan 30, 2008

82 by SailorFairyDxD24 »»
Jan 30, 7:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.