Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Flowers of Evil
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
May 27, 2013 5:05 AM
Jul 2018
I'd say this was quite an interesting counterpoint to last week's big ending. That long, meandering walk Nakamura & Kasuga took home seemed to have been a rather extended prelude to the repercussions of their classroom wrecking.
May 27, 2013 6:36 AM

Jul 2012
KingYoshi said:
You people sure like to exaggerate. The walking lasted 6 minutes. Not 9, not half the episode. Go back and watch it again if you don't believe it.

Anyway, the idea behind the walking was fine. It was very atmospheric. The art was nothing short of amazing during this sequence. Yeah, they could have shortened the walk to 3 or 4 minutes, but they didn't. Those extra 2 minutes do not break the show or even make the sequence bad. Go watch Kakumeiki Valvrave if you want non-stop fast paced nonsense. This anime is meant to be slow paced and extremely artistic in its atmosphere, mood, and presentation.

Great episode and I absolutely can't wait for next week!!

THIS!!!^
Exactly, just what i thought about this episode.
And that was freaking inquietant, a lot of minutes just to build suspense till the best moment in the episode
Suck that, haters xD
Next Episode will be even more badass (ep 7 was the best till now, though)
May 27, 2013 6:48 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

What I mean is up to the sixth option in the poll? If you have a reason to vote you already have in mind what to vote, right?
Silence can be the most stunning of the words spoken in vain! Having said that you will understand that I liked a lot the many past scenes to watch prrotagonisti most of the dialogues used for joining them. Fabulous BGM that manages to convey the basic idea of a waiting spasmodic charge to anguish! Nakamura, while showing how a girl with no common sense, actually I think it's far and ch enutra something for Takao, which I still do not see him!
Pleasant improvement shown in the drawings.

RediceRyan said:

May 27, 2013 6:51 AM

Jul 2012
Is just me or, they took away "walking out of 10" and replaced it by "..."?
Because for me, "Walking out of 10" means positive votes, and "..." means---
Well, negative votes? This discussion seems a trap in my opinion lol
May 27, 2013 7:01 AM

Feb 2012
Aku no Walking
May 27, 2013 7:20 AM

Feb 2008
Dat loooooooonnnnnnnnnng walking scene...
Still love this show though.
May 27, 2013 7:39 AM

May 2008
Repaired the poll.

I am a banana.
May 27, 2013 8:01 AM

Jan 2012
How are people coming to the conclusion the walking lasted 9 minutes?
May 27, 2013 9:11 AM

Jun 2012
What the fuck was that?! Throught the 1/4 episode I was gaping how these fuckers walking! C'mon, I don't just look at this graphice, but let alone watching that slowly story. Thanks, I'll probably dropp this after this episode.
SirIntegralAug 3, 2013 2:59 AM
May 27, 2013 9:53 AM

Oct 2008
Ohhhh man. The atmosphere was so incredibly dense I was scared it is going to hit me in the face. And that walking scene was magical. I admit it was a bit boring for me, but I would NEVER have guessed it lasted this long. o_O I was shocked when I heard "Hana ga... sai...", and I was shocked when I read how long that walking scene actually lasted. Way longer than I have perceived it to last.

Although not much happened in this episode it flew by like a hurricane.

This show is amazing.
May 27, 2013 11:06 AM

Sep 2012
The Walking Dead! LOL, the revelation at the end was well done.
May 27, 2013 12:19 PM

Jul 2012
saka said:
Repaired the poll.

Thanks, bro :)
May 27, 2013 12:42 PM

May 2013
It was a good episode but the walking was a bit excessive. He got lucky his name was covered up but drawing that flower gave him away which I think is a good thing cause he would have kept his secret hidden and would have just dragged on.
May 27, 2013 12:48 PM

Jan 2013
For those who complained on the walk scenes, here's what I tell you: It's better paced than 2001: A Space Odyssey!
REJECT ANIMU - EMBRACE TOKU
May 27, 2013 12:58 PM

Dec 2009
The walking scene was a bit too long, but it was ver effective. This whole episode was, actually. It reminded me of the very first.

Aku no Hana is only good when it doesn't follow the manga too closely and decides to take liberties (anime original stuff in ep 1, walking and the slow pace of this ep) with the original source.
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

May 27, 2013 1:17 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
The suspense had me bad. I expected something along the lines of Nakamura returning and erasing the text. And now Saeki is on to them. Great stuff.

That walk. Either the director of this anime really doesn't care what people think or has a lot of balls. Generally balls that big are seen chasing Indiana Jones down a cavern.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

May 27, 2013 1:53 PM

Jan 2012
SHINOBI-03 said:
For those who complained on the walk scenes, here's what I tell you: It's better paced than 2001: A Space Odyssey!

Haha, how can you even compare this to the masterpiece like that... Although it's getting a little bit better now, I didn't hate it because of it's drawing or animation, but because it's plot was useless and bad. Now it's getting somewhere, a bit better I guess....
May 27, 2013 1:54 PM

Feb 2012
That walking scene... I'm not a patient person so after two minutes I went to make myself some food and when I came back, they were still walking lol.
But the end of the episode was good. So Saeki figured it out... wonder what will happen next?
As for the preview for the next episode, when Kasuga said 'I can't find it', I automatically thought that he had meant his cock.
KingLearMay 27, 2013 2:00 PM
The only thing you can rely on is that you can't rely on anything.
May 27, 2013 2:10 PM

Oct 2012
I don't think I could have handled a walking scene that long if it was for any other show. This one just had me captured.

Saeki figured out Kasuga's secret like a master detective. I wonder how this will play out in the next episode? I wonder if she'll keep this held in, or tell the whole class? MAYBE KASUGA WILL LIE ABOUT THE WHOLE THING AND SAEKI WILL BELIEVE IT?!.. I'll be waiting.
ThisMay 27, 2013 2:14 PM
May 27, 2013 3:06 PM

Aug 2009
Great episode. Oh, Weekly Shonen Jump Issue 26 author comments:

Tite Kubo: "Surprisingly, I got so addicted to an anime that I'm recording it. It's called Aku no Hana (Flowers of Evil)."

Did you ever think if Kubo brings a pseudo-Nakamura to Bleach world? She would be the mastermind behind Aizen xD
May 27, 2013 3:14 PM

Aug 2011
Consider not much happened and the beginning had those extended shots, this episode flew by for me. Kasuga was really feeling the pressure this time. Tense cliffhanger.
May 27, 2013 3:17 PM

Jan 2013
tingy said:
phantom19 said:
I liked the part when Kasuga was walking. Obviously they went slow to get the same cliffhanger the manga had (although it wasn't the exact cliffhanger it had - don't read it though it you don't want to be spoiled for next week).

Yeah same, I actually liked it, it felt very...normal? The tone at least. It killed me though just how slow they were walking, like they were moving at the slowest pace possible. But it makes sense because both of them want the moment to last. I agree that they probably spent half the episode on the walk because of what will happen in the next episode. They ended this episode at a perfect spot. Definitely excited for next week's episode.

I was actually being sarcastic lol. Honestly I wouldn't have minded if they just pushed onto the next chapter but I guess they wanted to keep this cliffhanger.
-Nothing can stay unchanged. Even so, can you still keep on loving this place?

-Be still my soul; when change and tears are past, all safe and blessed we shall meet at last.
May 27, 2013 4:37 PM
Jul 2008
Lol the walk was long.
May 27, 2013 8:09 PM

Jan 2013
TimeTravel_0 said:
SHINOBI-03 said:

Haha, how can you even compare this to the masterpiece like that...

Have you seen the movie recently? The whole movie is drawn out. It's not a scene or two, no. It's almost every scene is dragged on for minutes with nothing happening! It's bad enough I saw it the same day the current episode came out and it affected my patience for drawn out scenes that nothing happens in it.
REJECT ANIMU - EMBRACE TOKU
May 27, 2013 10:15 PM

Oct 2010
This show just keeps getting better and better, it drags you into the world of aku no hana. :)

Tumblr |  Anime List | 🌷🌼

May 27, 2013 11:03 PM

Jan 2013
Funny things is, I checked and in the manga the walking only lasts one page, seems weird seeing how there's only 13 episodes they should pace it faster, it was really good though.
May 27, 2013 11:04 PM

Jun 2012
I love how the numbers of viewers have gone down, JUST because of the art.
May 28, 2013 4:00 AM

Nov 2008
I am not watching people walk for ten minutes, I don't care how arty it's meant to be so I fast forwarded it.
Because of that, it feels as though next to nothing happened this episode.
May 28, 2013 6:41 AM
May 2012
Archie74 said:
The story is good... The rotoscoping is BAD... And they show us 6 f***ing minutes of rotoscoped walking while holding hands??? Fdat. 45 seconds would have made the same impact. That shit was not artistic... Shit wrapped in designer gold foil with diamonds is STILL shit.

The rest was good... would have been better with 6 more minutes of story.

I have to agree... I got the feeling that the walking scene wanted to convey, but I really feel it was too much. I have to say that I think it was a "wanna-be-cult" try, and seriously, it was boring. I think they should have insert much more metaphors during the walk, I was the whole time trying to figure if the places they were passing through had some meaning, but they were not that meaningful at all (just the bridge was kinda cool). Otherwise I really think they could have done a meaningful scene using half of the time they used.

ThangLong said:
Kasuga and Nakamura held hands, walked past the usual scenery until sunrise. The feelings in this long walk is similar to the morning after passing out. This is hangover. When the drug starts withdrawing, you are left with a dizzy mind and a painful body. Last night actions was their drug, and now two hangover individuals have to deal with the upcoming consequences.

I thought cool that you related all the stuff with a hangover.... when I was watching, since the last episode, I thought it looked like a sexual thing... from the begining with Kasuka reluctant, than losing his mind in ecstasy, till they start walking hands hold, with the meaningful silence and a kind of regret feeling... (regret because he "loves" Saeki). But I think that the drugs thing make sense too.
May 28, 2013 7:05 AM
Dec 2011
Why does everyone hate on the animation?

It is brilliant, what originally drew me to the show. I love it!

Perfectly captures the tone & atmosphere, filled with tension!
May 28, 2013 8:38 AM

Oct 2012
Six minutes of walking? Come on! Director is trolling us hard here.

Anyway, I wonder what Saeki-san reaction would be.
May 28, 2013 12:29 PM

Jan 2013
Venuduck said:
I am not watching people walk for ten minutes, I don't care how arty it's meant to be so I fast forwarded it.
Because of that, it feels as though next to nothing happened this episode.

Whether it's artsy or not has little to do with it. It was an important scene that added additional meaning to the actions coming before and after it. When you skip parts of an episode, you can hardly say you actually watched it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 28, 2013 2:17 PM

Oct 2011
Kasuga and Nakamura walking together was beautiful. I was speechless. When Kasuga walked to school that eerie music was playing. I kept thinking something gonna happen any second. Plus that music kept building up. I guessing it's Kasuga anticipation building up each second as he goes to school. Then Saki finds out it was him!!!!
May 28, 2013 5:10 PM

Jul 2009
welp, whole lot of nothing happened this week
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.
May 28, 2013 8:56 PM
Oct 2008
Takes a lot of guts to slow things down that much.
May 28, 2013 9:19 PM

May 2011
Beautiful walking but I did end up doing other things while that was going on. :P As usual, so tense watching them all with that possibility of discovery just barely avoided. D:
May 29, 2013 12:54 AM

Jun 2012
That walk was so damn good... The emotion brought forth just took me by complete surprise. Wow. The music helped with the length of it though, very atmospheric. I liked it.
The calm after the storm, it made you think about was was to come, the consequences of their little outburst last episode. And the end. Oh dear... I'm so excited to see what happens next! :D
May 29, 2013 5:35 AM

Jul 2009
After reading the manga and watching the anime, I really feel sorry for Saeki, she was the biggest victim in it all.
Btw...there was a lot of slow walk in this episode lol
May 29, 2013 7:29 AM

Jul 2012
From http://psgels.net/2013/05/27/aku-no-hana-08/
(My favorite animeblog in this season)
Aku no Hana, you have balls.
I’m probably going to get a lot of people making fun of my tastes again, but heck, it’s not like I suddenly started caring about that or anything. This episode was an amazing aftermath-episode. One of the best in recent years. I mean, it was just perfect for me, it hit all of the right notes.
Let’s start with by far the most controversial part of this episode: the start. Five minutes in which the characters just walked. Yeah, first of all I have not seen anything like that in anime ever. Yeah, I really admire the guts of the creators to actually do that. I loved it to bits, and not just because of its novelty value. What we saw there was an incredibly intimate moment. What we saw last episode was just all hell breaking loose. They completely wrecked the classroom. Instead of just cutting to the next morning and show the superficial reactions of Kasuga’s classmates for shock value, the creators showed the mood he and Nakamura were in on the journey back. Nothing was said, we just experienced it. I’ve never seen any other anime do this, even though it showed so many emotions nonverbally.
And then there was the rest of the episode. I mean, that was some fantastic build-up. Bit by bit, the creators moved closer to Kasuga’s fears of being found out. The responses by the students, the responses from Saeki, everything was just perfect. Seriously, no overacting whatsoever in htis episode! This was by far the episode with the most convincing acting I’ve seen the entire season.
At first I felt a bit let down by how Kasuga’s name was conveniently obscured everywhere, but Saeki more than made up for it by showing that she very well knew what was going on. I mean, that was one heck of a cliff-hanger, even for this series’ high standards.
-
-
Exactly, couldn't agree more than that indeed :D
Any haters trying to argue with it?
May 29, 2013 12:40 PM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
shadowtsunami said:
Bison- said:
How are people coming to the conclusion the walking lasted 9 minutes?

2:53-9:00 was all walking and 11:26-13:12 was all walking, for a total of 7:54, I counted the repeated scene into this, which was an addition 1:10min lol.

No, from 2:53 to 3:05 was not walking, it was scenery. 11:26-13:12 isn't the same sequence, so that doesn't even count. What repeated scene are you talking about?

Nevermind, I see what you counted. So, you are combining old material with any sort of walking scene? Lol, that is why I said you guys like to exaggerate :P. The walking scene was 6 minutes.
KingYoshiMay 29, 2013 12:45 PM
May 29, 2013 1:10 PM

Sep 2012
when watching this, the first 7 minutes in with the "Walking Arc"
im like i know everyone on MAL is gonna make jokes about this,
and of coarse thats the first thing i see.

pffft when Saeki saw Nakamura holding Kasugas chest i was like
"NOOO DONT RUN SAEKI"
but of coarse....

Kasuga is the one who runs.....(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ
May 29, 2013 1:15 PM

Mar 2008
Okay without reading the manga this is what I can speculate.

Kasuga obviously hates the place he lives and sees everyone as shallow and stagnant and he clearly sees the same feelings in Nakamura. He wants to do as she says because deep down he does want to change the world around him.

Its obvious something happened in Nakamura's past that made her so psychotic about things and I'm surprised Kasuga hasn't even bothered asking her even though he's spending time with her.

In the episode where Kasuga and Saeki date you can tell she actually does like him. I noticed in the thread for that episode people were saying he was a bad date and I dont dissagree but if you look closely you see Saeki getting happy over Kasugas passion for reading even though she doesn't know much about it herself.

Saeki gets really emotional when something bad happens and I'm not totally sure if that is just a Japanese type of reaction to things or if something happened to her in the past as well.

I also feel like its possible Nakamura is also somehow controlling Saeki the same way she is controlling Kasuga but not as direct as blackmail. Although based on the timing its possible she took the classmates money but I don't see a reason why she would so thats unlikely although the thought passed my mind. Nakamura is making their own personal relation into a game for herself.

Nakamuras goal isn't entirely about destroying the town literally its about tearing down boundaries of social norms so people can be themselves but she really seems to lack the understanding of the ego (i hope im using the right psychology term) that prevents us from being purely impulsive careless animals and our ego is part of ourselves.
May 29, 2013 5:09 PM

Oct 2007
^
It is true that Saeki loves him even if there was a reason for that but that doesn't change the fact the she loves him.

Nakamura is not really controlling anything. She just has this twist personality in her by trying to see the world in black. And she blacked mail him. Soon you will see that she is still a GIRL.

I won't say anything more because it will spoil you. You will get most of the answers from you questions in the up coming episode..

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
May 29, 2013 5:09 PM

Dec 2012
The first 8 minutes of this episode was a total waste of time.
May 29, 2013 5:50 PM

Jul 2011
What a pity that we didn't saw them walking throughout the episode, it would have been wonderful.

1000/5
May 29, 2013 6:32 PM

Sep 2010
15 minutes of walking how delightful! Seriously that was genius OMG how beautiful!
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
May 29, 2013 9:24 PM

Jun 2007
traed said:
Nakamuras goal isn't entirely about destroying the town literally its about tearing down boundaries of social norms so people can be themselves but she really seems to lack the understanding of the ego (i hope im using the right psychology term) that prevents us from being purely impulsive careless animals and our ego is part of ourselves.

Rather than lacking ego, one could say that she is libertine, or more simply one who is morally unrestrained.
May 29, 2013 10:27 PM

Mar 2008
Kjeldoran said:
traed said:

Rather than lacking ego, one could say that she is libertine, or more simply one who is morally unrestrained.

Sort of reminds me of Moralistic Nihilism.
May 30, 2013 2:37 AM

Nov 2008
Siva said:
I won't say anything more because it will spoil you. You will get most of the answers from you questions in the up coming episode..

But you already spoiling things in your post. He speculates and you answer him by "Nah, that's false, you'll see that in the next episodes".
YandyMay 30, 2013 2:40 AM
May 30, 2013 2:45 AM
Apr 2011
They wasted some airtime showing the two walk together which only means they are going to skip some scenes in the manga. But I do hope they will still show the 3 important scenes and end the series in chapter 33. Though I won't mind seeing another season because the current story in the manga is getting interesting.

BTW I can't believe the amount of fillers this episode had. I mean I was expecting to see my most favorite scene in the manga but it didn't happen yet. But I'm 100% sure now that it will happen next episode unless the director changes the story.
ravagestormMay 30, 2013 2:56 AM
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 18, 2013

253 by princesjelyfish »»
Apr 24, 3:19 AM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 29, 2013

324 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:44 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 22, 2013

86 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:42 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 15, 2013

131 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:40 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 8, 2013

135 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:39 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.