Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Feb 5, 2019 9:58 PM

Dec 2016
What a beautifully unique and well done show
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Mar 18, 2019 11:44 AM
Oct 2018
This show is legit fantastic, only minor things keep this from being perfect for me. Medicine Seller is also top tier Husbando, he can protecc me anytime.
Mar 30, 2019 9:05 PM

May 2017
What a conclusion, Mayor and that shitty Newspaper dude got what they deserved.

Cant believe it ended tho what a journey this anime was. From this is kinda wierd to this is actually not bad to holy shit, this shits amazing man.

I felt like Mushishi but with trippy visuals and side characters that were way more memorable lol
I enjoyed it a lot, would watch it again
Jul 29, 2019 5:55 PM

Aug 2018
Finally over.
It was a good ride and I'm glad I watched it even tho I had some problems with it.
The final arc was my least favorite and made me drop my score.
Arcs stories :

Zashiki-Warishi= 8/10
Umibozu= 10/10
Noppera Bo= 6.5/10
Nue = 7.5/10
Bakeneko= 5/10

Art and Animation = 9/10
Kusuriuri character = 7/10

Overall 7.5 which means 8.
KanYeeTJul 30, 2019 4:02 AM
Aug 4, 2019 11:41 AM
EOussama

Dec 2016
Well, this was an intense episode, what a way to wrap a show-up. Again, it's the last episodes that make their entire arc, and it goes from dull to exciting. I'm really going to miss this show, but as complicated every arc was, they really serve as great re-watch material as they stand, so I'm looking forward to that.
Apr 23, 2020 4:56 AM

Apr 2015
Feminist from front to back.

Which is good. (Among other things)
Jun 8, 2020 4:04 AM

Oct 2019
This was the best Arc of this anime and it really went out on a high..

Loved to see how they uncovered the mystery of how the girl died..this unlike other arcs totally felt like a detective investigation..truly loved how the layers were uncovered one by one..

The main editor was working with mayor..the mayor himself involved in clandestine activities to get the subway running..

The Women who lost her husband not reporting the incident cuz she did not want her Mother in Law to find out about her affairs..

The Investigator who was lax in his investigation..

The cafe girl giving the fake testimony and the milk boy ignoring what he saw at the bridge..

It was really good to see them pay their respects in the end though..an awesome end to a very well made series..

8/10

"Not everyone who works hard is rewarded.
But, all those who succeed have worked hard"
Jun 21, 2020 11:47 AM

Dec 2016
can someone tell me whether I need to watch Ayakashi before this series as a prequel?
Jul 19, 2020 9:17 AM
Jul 2020
mononoke was so amazing i’m just sad i didn’t decide to watch it earlier and that it doesn’t really get much hype.

tbh this arc itself was one of my least favorites just cause the art style wasn’t as unique and colorful anymore and i really liked that in the first arcs, but the story was still amazing. i only wish it had been longer, even if they only added one more arc.

kusuriuri is also amazing and i’m glad we got to know a bit about his origin and nature at the end though i’d still love to know more

overall an amazing anime and i’ll definitely be watching ayakashi now if it partly follows the same character
Sep 9, 2020 12:57 PM
🔥🔥🔥

Jan 2020
Great show. I'm normally such a wimp when it comes to horror so I have avoided Mononoke for a while but it's more creepy and disturbing than it is scary. I loved it. The animation is a visual feast. It was just such a pleasure to look at every frame. I bet there's some great prints/posters from this anime.

My favourite arcs were the Incense arc, the Ship arc and the Bakeneko arc (I don't know what they're called officially). I still liked the other ones though. Gripping show. Glad I watched it. 9/10

🔥 🔥 🔥 . 阿良々木 暦, 傷 物 語 . 🔥 🔥 🔥
Build a man a fire and you'll warm him for a night
but set a man on fire and you'll warm him
for the rest of his life...
- H E N D Y -
Sep 28, 2020 1:04 AM

Jan 2017
This version of bakeneko was good but not as great as the original one in my opinion, so I kinda wish that I watched this before Ayakashi, I recommend watching that if you haven't already, episodes 9-11 specifically, if you just want Kusuiruri's arc!

Can't get over the fact that this came out more than a decade ago
horridhendy said:
The animation is a visual feast. It was just such a pleasure to look at every frame. I bet there's some great prints/posters from this anime.
DUDE YES! I kinda missed those intricate designs in the last arc but the sound effects made up for it so it was alright. AND DAMN it's kinda hard to find any good ones because whenever you do you get 85% results of mononoke hime instead ╮(╯-╰”)╭

Maybe it's because I have seen shounen recently, but I kinda wanted to see more of the fight scene in the end, with Kusuiruri's spiritual/exorcist form. idk, the last arc has left me wanting more from this series, so I guess I gotta read the manga to fill that gap ;-;
Nov 15, 2020 8:49 PM

Mar 2020
I'm not sure how I can organise my thoughts about this series since this is one of the most disjointed shows I've watched in recent memory.

While I enjoyed the experimental art direction I didn't feel like it went far enough in capitalising on how detailed and lively Edo-era art is. I think that can be said a lot about this series. It isn't lazy per se. It just isn't ambitious enough.

I think my biggest problem with this series is the story. While I haven't seen too many of his works I know that Chiaki J Konaka has written for some very divisive shows. I think this is an example of where his off-kilter scriptwriting works against a show since it drags it's feet for way too long and comes off feeling pretentious and boring to me.

Despite my criticisms, there are a few things I liked. They're just at even with the amount of things I disliked.
Nov 23, 2020 6:53 AM
Nostalgia Addict

Feb 2018
Again, why this anime even popular?
well.. not bad, still an unique anime.

6.0/10
Dec 11, 2020 2:06 PM

Nov 2019
Mononoke is a 10/10 for me especially this final story.
this was an interesting series, which i'm glad i gave a chance because it all seemed worth it.

the way the stories ended always made me feel rather empty inside.

the stories and the way the art complimented them was amazing...............freaking loved it
Jan 3, 2021 3:28 PM

May 2010
Pretty great, this was my favorite arc along with the incense one.

I love how each arc unravels different mysteries and how they use so much symbolism and the artworks to move the story forward. Beautiful art too.

I feel like something was missing for me to give this a 9. But an 8 from me is still a great score!
Apr 29, 2021 4:28 PM

Feb 2020
Wow, that was quite an ending. This arc probably was my favorite, I loved the horror-detective vibe it had, and I really liked the whole message about how we can indirectly be the cause of a tragedy. It reminds me a lot of the Three Wise Monkeys.
Actually, this series relies a lot on asian, and mostly japanese, mythology and I really liked this aspect, it made me want to know more about all this.
Another thing I liked about this show is how each arc has a great message as well as a very interesting study on the human mind. It's not just horror stories for the sake of horror as I was afraid ot would be.
And of course, the art direction is one of the best I've seen in anime. I wasn't really fond of some designs (though I love the medicine seller's) but it didn't matter, it participated in the whole atmosphere.

I am still a bit disappointed regarding some aspects. I was expecting the show to be more horrific than that, but sometimes the characters' reactions were so comical it was hard to feel truly anxious, except in the first and last arcs (I got real chills in episode 11 when the blind boy "stared" at us).
I also was waiting for the Medicine Seller's own story, I understand that he is supposed to be the mysterious outsider but I really think it would have been interesting to know how he became a Mononoke hunter, what exactly he is, who made him, and how he feels about the whole situation. I feel frustrated not to know more about him.
And finally, it might just be me but while I enjoyed the majority of the show, I thought there were a few letdowns in the middle of some arcs.

So I give this show a strong 8/10, it was a great experience but I was hoping for a bit more.
FafetteApr 29, 2021 4:40 PM
May 12, 2021 6:37 AM

May 2020
I'm a bit disappointed by this series. I came here after watching Ayakashi and the Bakeneko arc in that show blew my mind at how good it was, although I suspect a small part of my enjoyment also came about because the rest Ayakashi is absolute crap.

Overall, I enjoyed this series for the most but my biggest gripe with this series is the pacing. Episodes felt dragged out sometimes, with pauses in dialogue that felt very unnecessary. Some of it was done with great effect but I also felt bored for a good chunk of this show. The Ayakashi Sea arc from 3-5 was my least favorite because it was the least interesting of the 5 arcs and just felt waaay too dragged out.

7/10.
May 28, 2021 10:44 AM

Feb 2020
I would say its a Unique anime. It tells some good message oriented stories. My favorite arc would be nue arc. Some negative points for me would be artstyle which was unique, but sometime especially character design were straight out weird (not enjoyable). Also scene translation are also pretty annoying especially in begining arcs. While i get the episodic multistory appeal but it never goes into exploring its own protagonist which kind of is its limitation.
Overall still nice and enjoyable anime.
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Jun 6, 2021 10:13 PM

Nov 2016
This deserves a second season, it was well written and the art style blew me away it was very aesthetic. This episode was of course my favorite following the ship episode.
"No matter how hard things get, only use your strength to protect" - Mitsuya Takashi
Jun 16, 2021 6:57 PM

Jun 2019
My 42nd completed series chronologically.

For the record, I extended it a 7/10 rating.
Jan 12, 2022 9:51 AM
Aug 2021
That...was a great friggin arc! I think that this one's my favourite arc, with the runner up being the Man in the Fox mask arc. Poor Ichikawa her dreams were shattered because of that bastard head reporter and it found it really scary that she wasn't move from the tracks due to shock. That scene gave me chills.

I thought that all the people in the train car were going to die but it was only the bitchass head reporter(His death was satisfying though it wasn't shown:)).

This series surpassed my expectations. I love the OP(it grew on me) and the visuals were of course stunning(that was the aspect of this series that got me into it). It didn't feel all that special in the first episode (and actually kinda boring) but I eventually got invested into the stories. Reading the interpretations in this thread further enhanced the experience. 9/10.
Jan 18, 2022 12:52 PM

Jul 2020
The end though, wow. Enjoyed the whole experience from the beginning to the end through and through! From the art, to the stories, to the characters, sound design, everything. One of a kind anime, definitely.

Can't wait to watch the prequal now.
Dec 3, 2022 1:19 AM
Sep 2017
Great Japanese folklore adaptation
Mar 14, 2023 7:45 PM

Jun 2019
Some parts of the plot were lost on me, but overall this was a pretty fun ride.
Apr 3, 2023 9:03 AM

Nov 2010
Man, if only the supernatural existed in real life, each one would take vengeance on all the corrupt people that caused their demise like this. Then, the world would be so much better!
Wow, Ichikawa gave the Medicine Seller a bit of a hard time. Well, she was in the right; that's why her malice is stronger than the others.
I like how the Medicine Seller waited for Ichikawa to get her vengeance before he did the finishing blow on her.
If Mononoke is real, I have a feeling I'll turn into one once I die someday. lol
It took me half of the season to warm up to this show. I'm not really into the avant-garde style of animation. It's a good thing the stories were interesting. 8/10
Apr 8, 2023 10:40 PM
Mar 2019
Did the boss try to rape Ichikawa before he threw her off the bridge? It’s the only question I have left after watching this episode
Apr 16, 2023 5:55 PM
Apr 2022
itsjustacartoon said:
Did the boss try to rape Ichikawa before he threw her off the bridge? It’s the only question I have left after watching this episode

I think so, the shots were suggestive of that. Was the barista a prostitute? seemed like she was trying to win favour with the mayor to boost her clout
Apr 26, 2023 6:15 PM
Jun 2016
I think it's the most well directed anime episode I've ever seen. The way all the characters' perspectives are simultaneously arranged into a same scene is just brilliant, and also the idea of written the speeches and thoughts on the newspaper sketch. 
LadoskyApr 26, 2023 6:25 PM
Jun 24, 2023 6:12 PM

Nov 2012
The ending was quite abrupt, but a great series overall and enjoyed this last arc the most
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers
Jun 28, 2023 11:08 AM
Jan 2021
confusing at points but overall very interesting and good
Aug 11, 2023 8:58 AM
Jan 2021
Being a woman sucks lol
Sep 7, 2023 1:49 PM
Jul 2018
i'm glad that the somewhat innocent people are alive(AND SEXIST JOURNALIST IS DEAD WOOO)!

i really did enjoy this anime
Oct 4, 2023 2:47 PM

Jan 2020
I would have given this a 10 if it weren't by the sole fact it overused screamers (and often in situations where, they weren't needed).
MOKUSHI KUSHIMO SHIMOKU KUMOSHI MOSHIKU SHIKUMO.
Nov 3, 2023 2:52 PM
Nov 2023
One of a kind, truly mesmerizing.
Jan 12, 6:56 PM

Jun 2020
I loved it. The last arc is my second favorite overall but expect from the first one all of them are pretty close to each other.This anime was amazing it had everything. Amazing visuals,interesting storyline,good writing and interesting characters.

9/10
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mononoke Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

zanmato666 - Jul 30, 2007

105 by iWonderman »»
Apr 22, 2:13 AM

Poll: » Mononoke Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

zanmato666 - Aug 4, 2007

98 by uzis_imperius »»
Feb 17, 4:19 AM

Poll: » Mononoke Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Brand - Sep 5, 2007

82 by PaninaManina »»
Feb 2, 6:41 PM

Poll: » Mononoke Episode 11 Discussion

gothicpsyche - Oct 29, 2007

35 by kirA_-_ »»
Jan 12, 8:48 AM

Poll: » Mononoke Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ashura - Oct 8, 2007

53 by kirA_-_ »»
Jan 12, 8:24 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.