Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 2, 2013 2:54 PM
Feb 2013
A survival manga (according to my definition anyways) is a manga where the protagonist along with multiple others is put in a situation where they have to kill each other in order to survive...if you want to add anything to my description or think it wrong, well...post a comment.

What is it that makes one survival manga better than another one and what do you look for in one?

Is it characters? Scenery? Fights? Other?
Apr 2, 2013 3:01 PM

Sep 2011
For me its just fun to guess whom survives or will survive. Its just fun when its unpredictable. Thats why i had a blast reading gantz and Kamisama no Iutoori.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Apr 3, 2013 12:06 AM

Feb 2013
Suspense. Without it, the manga might get boring. Maybe the fights too. They have to occur every once in a while to threaten the characters. And the if guy that controls everything in the game is insane, it gets twice as fun!
Apr 3, 2013 12:15 AM

Dec 2011
Same thing time and time again, but I love the themes that come from anything survival: civilization vs savagery, loss of innocence, power and group struggles, etc. Also like seeing which characters completely snap and how much, whether they're the totally unexpected person or not..
Apr 3, 2013 12:18 AM

Sep 2012
The characters, and how they react/are portrayed.

If the character is an introverted 14 year old, it would be ridiculous if he just started killing people with ease, efficiency, and not a problem in the world.

If the character is somebody enormously skilled at video games, it would make sense that they were a faithful, powerful, badass if they got trapped inside a game.
Apr 3, 2013 12:22 AM

Apr 2012
When it's together with the psychological genre. How their mindset is changed by the things happening around them, if they have the ability to remain calm, etc. Oh, and if the characters use their mind instead of pure strength too.
Apr 3, 2013 12:26 AM

Dec 2010
When it has blood, violence and hot chicks

Apr 3, 2013 12:46 AM

Jun 2012
Emmrys said:
Same thing time and time again, but I love the themes that come from anything survival: civilization vs savagery, loss of innocence, power and group struggles, etc. Also like seeing which characters completely snap and how much, whether they're the totally unexpected person or not..
ORIGINAL SIGNATURE
Dec 29, 2013 12:10 AM

Apr 2012
FlamingBiscuits said:
Suspense. Without it, the manga might get boring. Maybe the fights too. They have to occur every once in a while to threaten the characters. And the if guy that controls everything in the game is insane, it gets twice as fun!
This.

emanime said:
When it's together with the psychological genre. How their mindset is changed by the things happening around them, if they have the ability to remain calm, etc. Oh, and if the characters use their mind instead of pure strength too.
Yes because survival genre guarantees that it is also psycholgical.

AND you know that there will be character death, probably murdered in a gruesome fashion.

Hello necro'd threads. Manga Forum is really inactive lately.
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Dec 29, 2013 1:15 PM

Oct 2012
When there's an actual sense of danger to ALL characters. A lot of survival horror title tend to flop because all but choosen main characters die or are so heavily plot armored

Mirrai Nikki I'm looking at you.

Dec 30, 2013 8:14 AM

Jul 2012
It should have a mix of genres, like in addition to survival to have some mystery, thriller, psychological aspects. Survival doesn't necessary has to have characters killing each other like in btoom! Or battle royale, it can also be against zombies or monsters or trying to survive on isolated area.... gore/blood also is optional, generally i mostly prefer mystery build in the story to create more suspense.
Dec 31, 2013 7:36 AM

Dec 2013
It is always nice to see strategies/mind games in a fight, the ugly side of humans like betrayer in a survival series manga.

Not only it is fun to read, the suspense and it shows how much thought the mangaka puts into his work!
Stay in yesterday 時を止めて
Dec 31, 2013 11:19 AM

Aug 2013
Good characters are an important fundamental, many survivals have cliche and uninteresting characters. Also, some have poor buildup, which should be avoided, and also it should not be too predictable. Originality is not an issue so much as execution.
"Your argument is like a naked banana--it simply lacks appeal."
Dec 31, 2013 3:51 PM

Mar 2013
NotJizzyHitler said:
For me its just fun to guess whom survives or will survive. Its just fun when its unpredictable. Thats why i had a blast reading gantz and Kamisama no Iutoori.

Half and half with gantz. If they didn't add the "third rule" it would've been completely insane with no idea who was going to die next, but you realized you missed one of the few older gantz players so it was good.

Survival manga is about the characters. If you can't build up the characters throughout the story, there may be some disappointments
Dec 31, 2013 4:57 PM

Jul 2013
When characters don't have blatant plot or when it is not filled with conveniences.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 13, 2014 8:56 PM

Oct 2011
It's good when it has a very nice suspense and it gives attention more on characters than the plot.

Also when it tries to be realistic like how would you react in this kind of situation, Will you still cling to your ideals?
Jan 14, 2014 1:05 AM

Jun 2012
Suspense, drama, hardships.

What the characters did/had have done to them to get into that situation. The will of the character to survive and their personality (no wimpy mc's with no will to live/fight). Last but definitively not least would be the chemistry of the characters involved; As in do the characters work well together and want to help each other survive, is each character only in it for themselves and they only work together because they have a common enemy/interest.

This is my ideal survival Manga http://myanimelist.net/manga/11434/Jisatsutou

Serial lurker
Jan 14, 2014 9:34 AM

Nov 2013
Death and Drama.
Jan 14, 2014 10:47 AM
Dec 2011
Who will die next? What tricks will he/she use? Conspiracy? Lies? Tricks??... i can make it longer, but the reasons are too much ^^
Jan 14, 2014 8:12 PM

Apr 2011
Absolutely NO ecchi.

Otherwise I lose patience and drop it. Yes, I'm that type of person >.>
Jan 15, 2014 4:43 AM

Oct 2008
I like the development of the main characters and the history background: the more distopian, the better.
On the other hand i hate too much ecchi, more even if the plot is not good. I love Eden no Ori, but I can't stand Btoooom!, they're perfect examples.
If it has solution, don't bother; and if it hasn't, why bothering?

Do you like manga? http://gunjoteam.com
Jan 15, 2014 7:43 AM

Dec 2013
DarkAngelz said:
Absolutely NO ecchi.

A bit of ecchi is fine with me depending on plot. If survival series with rape scene then a little boobies or pantsu shot is acceptable. Realistic feel~

Too much of something ain't good after all.
Stay in yesterday 時を止めて
Jan 15, 2014 11:04 AM

Apr 2012
DarkAngelz said:
Absolutely NO ecchi.

Cage of Eden not for you then.
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Jan 15, 2014 11:46 AM

Oct 2007
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Royale_(manga)
We could need more books like this. That was a really good one.
Hireshi.com - Join today! Working on streaming Japan/Korean drama & movies, as well as anime.
(this will come when the main site is up)
I take avatar/ signature & profile/intro picture requests. Message me with reference.
Tutorial on how to resize GIF images in Photoshop CS3(avatars,signatures)
Jan 15, 2014 6:39 PM

Oct 2011
hireshi said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Royale_(manga)
We could need more books like this. That was a really good one.

Yeah one of the best survival manga out there.
Jan 15, 2014 6:44 PM

Apr 2011
bunny_lover said:
DarkAngelz said:
Absolutely NO ecchi.

Cage of Eden not for you then.
Benphyre said:
DarkAngelz said:
Absolutely NO ecchi.

A bit of ecchi is fine with me depending on plot. If survival series with rape scene then a little boobies or pantsu shot is acceptable. Realistic feel~

Too much of something ain't good after all.

LOL I mean, I can handle rape. I read Wolf-Guy and found it really good. I just don't like ecchi in the sense that it's for comedy or fan enjoyment. If it's for plot and seriousness then okay. If it's for comedy bullshit then no thank you. And I don't mean to come off as mean or anything like that, it's just that I don't find it entertaining. If it's there with a purpose other than a boost in sales... then alright. That being said, there's also the extent. From what I've heard, Kill La Kill is supposed to be ecchi yet also meaningful? Females where their clothes as they do as empowerment? Yeah, not really caring. It's just TOO MUCH for me. For manga, i MIGHT be able to handle it... but anime is a hell no.

:/
Jan 15, 2014 6:55 PM

Jun 2012
Battle Royale's Manga would really sum this up in a nutshell for me, hell, even chapter 13 of Kamisama no Iutoori could.

It's all about the sense of imminent danger, atleast try to make the readers believe there is no plot armor.
Kazuo vs Shinji has remained to be the single battle in Survival Manga that had kept me on the edge of my seat all of the way throughout. There were constant twists and turns throughout the battle and nothing was truly decided until the very end.

Just to make a quick comparison, reading Btooom never gave me the sense that something could go wrong for the protagonists, you always knew it would work out in the end and they would beat down the baddie.

Oh yeah, and the spontaneous deaths of Kamisama no Iutoori were really great aswell, they really came out of nowhere at times.
Jan 16, 2014 10:11 AM

May 2013
Survival manga is one of my most favorite sub genres in manga. Heres a list of things that it needs to do right to be good.

- Obviously people have to die, and lots of people. If this isn't happening then its not a good survival because at some point the reader is not going to take the fact that the characters lives are in danger seriously. Cage of Eden fell off towards the end because it stopped killing characters. I would say this is the most important factor in a survival manga. If the reader ever stops worrying about the characters lives for a long span of time then the mangaka has failed.

- Cynism. And loads of it. Usually a story is idealistic or cynical; with manga almost always being idealistic. However survival mnaga needs to be cynical. The power of friendship will not always save you and trust can get you killed. This is the reason why btoom was such a failure in my eyes as a survival manga. It was too idealistic, the bad characters always got what was coming to them despite being far superior to the good guys; and the good guys could do whatever they felt without lasting consequences.

As far as recommendations of survival manga i would say Battle Royale is the cream of the crop, followed by stuff like Cage of Eden and Rabbit Doubt.
Jan 18, 2014 8:33 AM
Jan 18, 2014 8:39 AM

Sep 2011
YorozuyaGinSan said:
Battle Royale's Manga would really sum this up in a nutshell for me, hell, even chapter 13 of Kamisama no Iutoori could.
oh man that chapter reminds me of another reason i love survival manga, unpredictability, they manage to catch me so off guard, kamisama and especially its superior sequel have done this to me so many times

asume5 said:
No plot armor.

that is also great theres a survival manga im reading right now that i wont say that is very very VERY likley to kill off the main character next chapter, not a main character I mean the main protagonist, the series isnt even done, thats another aspect i absolutely love

They may be shallow stories but they are a utter treat to read for me and i rarely feel bothered by things i do find annoying in normal series

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jan 20, 2014 8:53 AM
Jan 2014
The top criteria for me is thus:

Characters can't be enjoying their situation. They should be suffering so much that they would rather live the rest of their lives in peace, eating discount dog food out of a doghouse than to continue surviving under their current circumstances.

e.g. Highschool of the Dead, dude has a hotass harem, getting laid by spankin bitches whenever, and wherever he wants. Hold that shit for a second, I'd gladly trade places with him. And my life is already fucking great, which just makes his way too damn fine. I know, I know, it's HOTD, but I had to think of the most terrible example.
Nov 17, 2014 1:12 PM

Oct 2013
In many survival stories it's unpredictable which character will die next, even the protagonist and the heroine are dying sometimes. Some people, me included, like the way they die, different violent scenes are interesting.

Nov 17, 2014 1:34 PM

Jan 2014
YorozuyaGinSan said:

It's all about the sense of imminent danger, atleast try to make the readers believe there is no plot armor.
I don't know, there was plenty of plot armor for the main "bad guy" in Battle Royale. The guy gets some of the best weapons by chance, and body armor by luck. He is "almost killed" at least four times but somehow manages to survive every time. And just look how much ammo he burns through in the course of the manga. Ammo is heavy. Really really heavy. Take it from a guy who hunts and who owns 1000+ rounds of various assorted calibers.

How the hell is this guy carrying so much ammo?!

A purely sociopathic coldly logical worldview is not enough to account for this guy's sheer uncanny success. Plot armor galore.
Mar 8, 2015 7:15 AM

Jul 2011
Emmrys said:

Pretty much all of this. Human struggle in the face of life and death and what sacrifices they are willing to make in order to survive.
Mar 10, 2015 7:42 AM

Feb 2015
Anger,pain,lust,jealousy,action,craziness and a touch of echhiness makes a good survival manga.If you want to read good survival manga read battle royale,mirai nikki ( future diary ) or my personal favourite - Gantz
Mar 10, 2015 10:23 AM

Aug 2013
They are some of the beat stories which focus on the characters. You get to see how they confront their fears, drastic situations, and other people. The relations between characters in extreme circumstances are interesting and unique. The characters are what make the survival genre what it is.
Mar 10, 2015 5:08 PM

Aug 2014
Good psychological development. I rather think it's stupid when people suddenly snap and go off into a world of their own- sure it might happen, but it's pretty cheap.
Mar 10, 2015 9:10 PM
Jan 2015
oh so death games. i like it when the charterers slowly go insane and they all get killed by eachother
Mar 10, 2015 9:16 PM

Jul 2012
Fleshed out supporting characters
Mar 10, 2015 10:57 PM

Oct 2013
Nothing makes a genre inherently good
Apr 6, 2015 9:24 PM

May 2014
Whenever the characters undergo a tremendous degree of mental pain; to see them walking on the thin line between sanity and insanity. And of course, to see those characters forget about the "morality" that they are so proud of.

I strongly believe that their sufferings are what makes the story suspenseful, exciting and so on. But yeah, that's how I like them stories. lol.

More topics from this board

» Do you guys pick up completed axed manga.

zkl_ - Feb 28

14 by Eziprez »»
6 hours ago

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

380 by Kkulpanda »»
7 hours ago

» Have an amazing art in manga but not in anime

kirA_-_ - Apr 15

9 by Shirayukin »»
Yesterday, 6:55 PM

» Most obscure titles in your list.

Otakupervert890 - Feb 24

22 by Timeline_man »»
Yesterday, 3:20 PM

» From all the ongoing (and on hiatus) manga, you can choose only one to eventually reach a conclusion. Which one would it be?

Caciulacdlac - Apr 10

5 by nishant0 »»
Yesterday, 1:00 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.