Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 12, 2008 7:04 PM

Jul 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I don't get it.. why can't Shirou learn how to restore Saber's magic -.- quite a boring ep.. all talk with not much action.. though I got to admit Shinji's death is kinda brutal.

Dec 21, 2008 4:21 AM

Jun 2008
Although I hated Shinji, I didn't want the poor guy to die. He just took the wrong path. Damn, Ilya is psycho.
Jan 24, 2009 11:59 AM

Dec 2008
Poor Shinji! Obviously, he wasn't exactly a likeable character, but he was no longer a threat to anyone and Ilya butchering him was just plain chilling.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
Apr 30, 2009 10:33 AM

Jan 2009
Ah well an eye for an eye. Shinji attempted to commit mass murder and nearly succeeded, paying with his life is just a price.

Ilya is just plain cute xD She always does the most suggestive poses...
Jun 9, 2009 12:15 AM

Oct 2008
Saber

Ilya

Jun 26, 2009 12:54 AM
Apr 2008
What the fuck? Saber is actually some reincarnation of King Arthur? Last time I checked, King = Male, Saber = FemaleServant (No-gender). But didn't King Arthur already have the Holy Grail is his possession? If so, I'd like to see this show explain how he lost it. If not, then fuck me.

So, if Saber = "King" Arthur, Berserker = Heracles, and Lancer = some Irish champion (but who gives a shit about Irish mythology anyways?), then who the fuck is Archer? We never really got told who Assassin or Rider were (but I can guess Assassin is some Japanese samurai guy or something, maybe an assassin, he's not dead yet so I'll find out, maybe), but it's not like this was a well written story to begin with.

Also, the loli is evil, they're always evil. But it doesn't really matter because I hate all of the characters... except for maybe Tohsaka; I have yet to distinguish if I hate her or love her.

This shit gets stupider and stupider. *end rant* Damn, all this talk about King Arthurs and Holy Grails makes me want to watch Monty Python and the Search for the Holy Grail... kind of.
Jul 14, 2009 11:30 PM

Jul 2008
King Arthur. The whole time I was like wth??? I like Archer though, explaining how Shirou probably got caught while spacing out like the dope he is, which is exactly what happened.
Aug 6, 2009 5:50 PM

Jan 2009
Damn it, Ilya just got her crazy bitch status back. If anything anime has taught me, is that you can't trust a cute loli.
Sep 30, 2009 7:42 AM

Jul 2009
What the deuce? Saber = King Arthur? Weird, I would've thought she'd be Joan of Arc or something. I'm sure Joan of Arc had a special sword that was dug up somewhere so it would've made more sense...

P.S. Take that Shinji XD
Nov 1, 2009 7:19 PM

Aug 2008
Zell182 said:
What the deuce? Saber = King Arthur? Weird, I would've thought she'd be Joan of Arc or something. I'm sure Joan of Arc had a special sword that was dug up somewhere so it would've made more sense...

P.S. Take that Shinji XD
This... I also thought that... Well I guess she's not Joan but Arthuria... And it actually makes sense... Since Saber's Noble Phantom is Excalibur.... And yeshhh... By Shinji... YOu deserved it!

Oh what a slightly bad episode... It was useful for preparations for later, but then again things will get better... After all Ilya easily captured Shirou... Damn that Shirou... He's so stupid that he easily fell for Ilya's charms... I don't blame him... but come on, Ilya is the perfect Loli while the guy is a HS... Oh well... I wanna see the fight already..... Arthuria.... Nice one... and I was asking myself who was it the last epi... This answers it for me XD

Signs,
Green
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 11, 2009 10:58 PM

Jan 2009
Dang, Shirou is so useless...gets himself captured. Now Saber has to risk her own life to save him.

Nov 30, 2009 2:07 AM

Jun 2009
It's always funny to see people call an episode that has no action "bad." When, in actuality this episode moved the plot forward significantly. Any thoughts of who Saber is are now wiped away and, if you consider the fact that *maybe* she was forced to hide her gender like Kira said, it does make sense.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 30, 2009 4:40 AM

Jun 2009
insan3soldiern said:
It's always funny to see people call an episode that has no action "bad." When, in actuality this episode moved the plot forward significantly. Any thoughts of who Saber is are now wiped away and, if you consider the fact that *maybe* she was forced to hide her gender like Kira said, it does make sense.

agreed, this is my favorite episode so far... Shiroe lowered his guard, I think it's a more reasonable reaction compared to what he did in the past. I mean, the girl didn't attempt to kill him the last time they met, he must've thought she's kind and would not harm him, just like Tohsaka.

So... King Arthur was a girl in Type/Moon universe. I always thought she's Joan of Arc till the last episode...

HappyPear said:

So, if Saber = "King" Arthur, Berserker = Heracles, and Lancer = some Irish champion (but who gives a shit about Irish mythology anyways?), then who the fuck is Archer? We never really got told who Assassin or Rider were (but I can guess Assassin is some Japanese samurai guy or something, maybe an assassin, he's not dead yet so I'll find out, maybe), but it's not like this was a well written story to begin with.

Assassin was Sasaki Kojiro, just like he said.
Sasaki Kojiro was one of the best swordsman in the history of Japan, It is known that he use very long sword, those sword are meant for training, because of how big/heavy it is, but Sasaki swing it like any other swords. His signature move is the Sparrow thing, a move he picks up from watching sparrows.

Sasaki was killed in a duel by the best swordsman in Japan's history, over 60 duels and never lost. The great Miyamoto Musashi. It was rumored Musashi killed Kojiro with Wooden Sword.

The last time I remember, Assassin did call himself Sasaki Kojiro didn't he? Maybe you missed it?
AirStylesNov 30, 2009 4:49 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 14, 2009 12:56 PM

Jun 2009
ItsMeAndrea said:

I don't get it.. why can't Shirou learn how to restore Saber's magic -.-

this is because Shirou is the dumbest & most boring person in the entire world -
Silverhammer said:
Poor Shinji! Obviously, he wasn't exactly a likeable character, but he was no longer a threat to anyone and Ilya butchering him was just plain chilling.

She should butcher that fool Shirou instead. To b honest I did like Shinji and Rider was way cool too. I kinda wish they were the lead characters
HappyPear said:
This shit gets stupider and stupider....

I agree

Mod edit: Don't double/triple/quadruple/etc post. Use the edit button add stuff if you forgot something.
BourskDec 15, 2009 4:28 AM
Jan 23, 2010 12:39 PM

Nov 2009
Looks like somethings about to go down, onto episode 14!
Ilya is too overpowered she can paralze emiya just by looking at him? =\
Feb 18, 2010 3:45 AM

Sep 2009
Ilya is a dangerous type of character...she lures you in with her cute charm but can act extremely brutal...scary.
Jun 3, 2010 5:21 AM
Jul 2018
Wow, Saber is English :D, well the knight thing gave that away

OUCH Shinji got brutaly pwned
Jul 14, 2010 3:59 PM

Apr 2010
realmruler1 said:
Wow, Saber is English :D, well the knight thing gave that away

OUCH Shinji got brutaly pwned
Knights code was used in all of Europe not just the UK, besides the knights code was very similar to other warrior codes such as the samurai code or the Viking code.

Was doubting last episode but now it was confirmed Saber was queen of Britain , tho she was called king.
This Anime brings a nice ring to the story of Excalibur and king Arthur, wonder if the black knight was a woman as well...
Sep 21, 2010 2:11 PM
Jul 2010
This episode was not bad. I really liked it actually. Ilya just got Shirou. It was a smart move to make him trust her the last time... Even I got fooled by that (though I still thought she was crazy). And it also shows a little bit of Saber's story so I found it great.

I've heard people talk really nicely about the Archer vs. Berserker fight that I believe comes next episode so I'm just gonna watch it now. Though I should go to sleep... Nah, who cares about more 25 min...
Dec 23, 2010 6:50 PM

Jul 2010
That was an OK episode. Ilya...insane loli bitch status returns as quickly as it disappeared. It was also pretty weird how Saber was actually queen of England, but was called King Arthur? That's an interesting spin.

Looking forward to Archer vs Berserker.
Feb 11, 2011 11:42 AM

Aug 2010
Saber's past is shown, woot...
Feb 20, 2011 4:11 PM
Nov 2010
Of course she's King Arthur. She has the fucking Excalibur. It doesn't take a Genius to make the connexion : Holy Grail War =­> Saber with invisible sword => Excalibur => King Arthur
Jun 15, 2011 10:34 PM

Jul 2010
Interesting episode i don't mind the different spin to the king Author story its definitely creative. Just when Emiya is starting to be more likeable he fucks up. Also that little girl is one crazy bitch.
Fullmetal51Jun 15, 2011 10:45 PM
Sep 8, 2011 12:10 AM

Jan 2011
They are stretching the Arthurian mythos pretty far, but since they've done the same thing to Medusa (Rider) and Heracles (Berserker), I don't think we can complain too much. They could have preserved Saber's gender by making her one of the Celtic warrior queens (Medb or Boudica) or warrior goddesses (the Morrigan) but that would have had other plot consequences.

As for little Ilya, she isn't acting any differently than the other masters (Shiro excepted). Even Rin would probably do the same, although her romantic interest in Shiro outweighs her own self-interest (much to Archer's disgust). To my knowledge she hasn't been going around recharging her servant with human mana so she is actually better than most of them (Rin and Shiro excepted).
rodacSep 8, 2011 12:15 AM
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Sep 8, 2011 1:00 AM
Dec 2007
rodac said:
They are stretching the Arthurian mythos pretty far, but since they've done the same thing to Medusa (Rider) and Heracles (Berserker), I don't think we can complain too much. They could have preserved Saber's gender by making her one of the Celtic warrior queens (Medb or Boudica) or warrior goddesses (the Morrigan) but that would have had other plot consequences.

As for little Ilya, she isn't acting any differently than the other masters (Shiro excepted). Even Rin would probably do the same, although her romantic interest in Shiro outweighs her own self-interest (much to Archer's disgust). To my knowledge she hasn't been going around recharging her servant with human mana so she is actually better than most of them (Rin and Shiro excepted).
Illya's magical capacity is huge so she doesn't "need" to make Berserker kill people (which is quite a feat in itself as the Berserker class is the one that uses the most magical energy/prana due to their permanent insanity).

Also, in case anyone wondered, the original Saber was actually the original Arthur Pendragon and his Master was going to be a girl. Nasu, the writer of the Visual Novel, swapped the characters genders (creating Shirou and Arturia) because he believed an eroge starring a female protagonist wouldn't sell well among the expected consumers. There's character art depicting the original female Master and Saver(yeah, with a v for some reason) in the Type Moon Character material and it can be seen in the Type-Moon Wikia.

Anyway, gender aside, the Fate series actually uses a lot of the Arthur mythology, including the search for the Holy Grail, Lancelot's betrayal, Mordred's rebellion (I might add, since it's never said in anything other than side material, that Mordred is indeed Arturia's son...blame Merlin xD), and Arthur's death. The one thing I can remember they sort of failed at is by giving The Sword in the Stone a name. The sword that chose the King is nameless while the sword of the lady of the lake is Excalibur (which they did got right).
Leon-GunSep 8, 2011 1:14 AM

Nov 1, 2011 10:49 PM

Jun 2009
Yeah, I agree with Leon-Gun I've always thought the Fate franchise does a great job staying truthful to the King Arthur legend and I've always thought the idea of a female Arthur being forced to hide her gender gives a hell of a lot of depth to, in my opinion, one of the best characters in the series. Let's see how the anime handles this going forward, as Saber's flashbacks were some of this particular routes finest moments imo.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
May 7, 2012 5:17 PM
Jan 2012
HappyPear said:
What the fuck? Saber is actually some reincarnation of King Arthur? Last time I checked, King = Male, Saber = FemaleServant (No-gender). But didn't King Arthur already have the Holy Grail is his possession? If so, I'd like to see this show explain how he lost it. If not, then fuck me.

Also, the loli is evil, they're always evil. But it doesn't really matter because I hate all of the characters... except for maybe Tohsaka; I have yet to distinguish if I hate her or love her.

This shit gets stupider and stupider. *end rant* Damn, all this talk about King Arthurs and Holy Grails makes me want to watch Monty Python and the Search for the Holy Grail... kind of.

I agree. It is episode 13 and NOTHING HAPPENED in this anime. All the characters except for Archer sucks. Emiya is the most stupid character I ever seen in an anime.

I still don't get all the hype.
People say that the episode 14 change a lot of things, let's se.
Jun 29, 2012 2:52 PM

Jun 2012
How does Ilya control with her eyes???

this was an alright episode i guess. Ilya is a psycho but in a cute innocent kind of way. Didnt surprise me that Shirou got kidnapped... thought it was funny a little girl was that much stronger then him ha. I wonder how old she is, she looks young but acts older, the way she can kill with no remorse, not many kids could do that.

Shinji deserved to die but i liked Rider.

I wonder if Archer and Rin will go after Saber and Shirou soon????
Aug 22, 2012 2:42 PM

Nov 2011
haha Loli magical eyes! Love it!

"I like to expose what people hide. I'm an intellectual rapist." - Furudo Erika
Dec 5, 2012 7:00 AM

May 2012
Decent episode, that ending was rather interesting, lets see what's next!
Jan 26, 2013 1:12 PM
Aug 2011
HappyPear said:

They've told the assassin. He is a legendary samurai, swordsman from history.

I think they've pretty messed up with Saber's gender.

Edit: Also, that man who said she will not be a human anymore meant the legends, they've shown us how the men even from her time manipulated her story/background.
Feb 2, 2013 8:02 PM

Mar 2009
Illya is one dangerous little spoiled brat!
Feb 20, 2013 7:46 PM

Jul 2008
Good that Shinji is done. Shirou continues to prove he's an idiot by going out without protection and getting himself captured and luckily not killed. He's wrestling with the decision to have Saber kill someone to replenish herself with mana.

Here's an idea...learn how to GIVE Saber mana genius.

He's worse than Shinji from Evangelion
Mar 5, 2013 5:22 AM

Jan 2012
Ilya is such a psycho bitch, I can't believe it actually. Her mother in Zero was a rather nice and kind woman.

Jun 11, 2013 6:53 PM

Oct 2011
I had a feeling that Saber was King Arthur...
Illya is just one crazy little bitch.
Hope Archer and Rin find a way to kill Berserker by the end.
Jun 13, 2013 11:05 AM

Nov 2012
poor saber :/ after using noble phantasm she is fainted :/
btw saber past is telling in this episode.. its really interesting :3

hmm.. idk why I thought ilya is so cute in this episode -_-
well she is quite crazy but at last she is killing that son of a beach shinji :)
Jul 3, 2013 8:42 PM
Jun 2013
Why does everything the little girl does is in some way creepily suggestive?
Aug 18, 2013 3:47 PM

Oct 2012
Well, Saber is out of energy now. I just wonder how they will make her regain it in anime. There is one very special occasion where she regains it in the game but I doubt they will anime it.

Also, next episode should start all the action. There is no going back from there. Can't wait.
Sep 2, 2013 3:07 PM

Apr 2013
:/
Am I the only one who likes Ilya more than Shirou?
Sep 3, 2013 1:22 AM

Aug 2009
shayryu said:
:/
Am I the only one who likes Ilya more than Shirou?

She the best girl afterall.
Sep 16, 2013 9:08 PM
Jul 2018
Like others have said, the way Shinji died was... ouch.
Apr 11, 2014 1:30 PM

Feb 2013
If it wasn't for Illya it would be impossible for me to watch this.
Apr 25, 2014 10:51 AM

Dec 2013
Damn shinji is dead 0.0
May 15, 2014 8:55 PM
Jun 2013
Im both happy and sad.Happy that shinji is dead sad that we didint get to see it.Man that loli has some screws loose and seems a bit on the kinky side.Shirou did have tough choice since he lacks in magic skills the only way to get saber back to normal is to force her to kill.Also seems like king arthur is a chick in this universe.Another entertaining episode cant wait to see what happens next.
souledge94May 16, 2014 12:05 AM
Oct 19, 2014 2:27 PM

Aug 2014
Illya doesn't have appearance to have a servant like Heracles....
Shirou will save Saber, I believe him.
Maloween 2017
Main Candies
Feb 19, 2015 11:52 AM

Apr 2013
God Shirou, how often will you go outside alone again and get caught? He really doesn't learn anything.
Archer is an ass for calling off that truce just like that, where's your honor you scrub?
Damn that loli bitch, what a psycho >:(
Feb 19, 2015 1:48 PM

Mar 2013
Why is anybody still watching this shit
Apr 25, 2016 4:49 AM

Mar 2014
The Internal Conflict . Connection of both Master and Servant .
A Medieval Legend . King Arthur of Great Britain .
If Shirou can obtain 'Materialization' , I mean an upgrade .
Hold your horses , Young lady . It seems Infatuation to the extremes .
Very Great Episode !!! Shirou is special ~ .
Sep 15, 2016 7:29 AM

Apr 2014
I got told not to watch this but I figured it was just snobbery. This shit has damn near killed my interest in anime. I've had to take a massive break because I realized I was just watching crap for the sake of it and this was the one that broke me.

It seems to be picking up the pace and we're over half way so hopefully it's going to be over soon.
Nov 10, 2016 1:01 PM

Nov 2013
Evil Lolisviel is cute. How she killed Shinji was pretty gruesome, but it was right. He had to die.

She seems to have taken a liking to Shiro. Does she want a big brother?

Mother Sabers backstory was interesting.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fate/stay night Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

DaBigD - Oct 3, 2008

137 by FedeMetal »»
May 1, 6:08 PM

» VN fan are annoying as Hell

chevalierkraken - Apr 23

30 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 27, 10:20 AM

» Why do people consider 2006 Fate/Stay Night anime bad?

zckfox - May 13, 2023

45 by chevalierkraken »»
Apr 25, 10:10 AM

» Seriously bro

Yeshaiah2015yesh - Apr 9

10 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 10, 4:55 AM

Poll: » This or Unlimited Blade Works

Fukoku - Mar 28

13 by deg »»
Mar 31, 9:07 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.