Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Dec 22, 2012 10:36 AM

Feb 2011
What happened when the copycat was behind Mamoru in the school building? It looked like it was suddenly caught in a whirlwind and killed. Probably by Mamoru's cantus.
I really wonder why they are killing the people off via copycats, they seemed really weak to me. Saki managed to kill it on her first shot and even Mamoru (apparently) who has a average or below cantus does it without moving a finger...really wasteful use of such faboulus creatures.
Dec 22, 2012 10:42 AM

Jul 2012
Intereo said:
Okay, now I'll explain my previous post with two gifs:

This episode was made by other people right?
The eyes looked weird sometimes, but everything else was okay.

I think this was one of the creepiest episodes so far.
I was actually afraid, which never really happened in an anime before, in my case.

I don't think it was the weakest.
But that's probably because I just look forward every weekend to the next episode and listen to the OST like everyday. So every moment is pure happiness for me while watching this show.
I am falling, I am fading, I am drowning, help me to breathe.
Dec 22, 2012 10:54 AM

Aug 2011
Intereo said:

Rofl I died askdfj.

This episode was good, I really liked it (probably because I'm biased to Mamoru). It was a bit weak though, like everyone's saying. Lol Mamoru's voice is so funny I can't.

(Can they not use another seiyuu. I mean. I guess I just don't like the voice.)

It looks like we'll be seeing the last of Maria and Mamoru in the next episode. :( I'm excited.

(And then can we have. Saki x Satoru. Just saying)
Dec 22, 2012 11:10 AM
Nov 2012
UtsukushiiYume said:
Intereo said:

(And then can we have. Saki x Satoru. Just saying)

Can't wait to the moment when it'll be just Saki and Satoru again!

They worked so well together during episodes 5-7 and now we'll get to see them like that again! YAY!!
Dec 22, 2012 11:39 AM

Apr 2010
If they go back to the village and Mamoru or Maria or both of them die, then it'll be their fault.
They try to kill him, and the best thing he can do is leave the village. If Maria likes Mamoru so much then she can go with him. They have Cantus, so it won't be so hard to stay alive. If I were them then I would do this.
Dec 22, 2012 11:44 AM

Nov 2012
It's risky, but I think that a few episodes from now, the group may end up leaving the holy barrier all together. I recall Saki's mom once mentioning a group who had rebelled after leaving the barrier and either been disposed of or never seen again. Since it seems that little goes by unnoticed from the Council, I'm guessing that Satoru and Maria will be seen as 'in the way' and disposed of as well.

The only 'safe' one is Saki, who even then, isn't exactly safe. It's likely she'll be caged into the society and enforced to take up the position as the head of the Council of Ethics or perhaps face annihilation including those of her friends.

The queer rats are also getting fishier. Their society reminds me more of a typical human society than that of the Saki's. Their connection with the humans can't be a mutually arranged deal either, simply based on the idealism the queer rats have of the humans. Such belief evaporates quickly and easily and thus cannot be utilized to maintain a master-servant hierarchy. They have to be bound by something else.

What bothers me though, is that the copy-cats, other killer-heeled cats, and the cantus the society has almost doesn't seem to be enough. If you get enough powerful cantus users gathered for a rebellion (which I admit is a difficult task, especially if you factor in their 'love, don't fight' hippie gene), you can defeat the rulers with some difficulty. However, other than the psychological barriers, it's almost as if the Council has an even deadlier method to retain control. Perhaps one that can only be used in emergencies...

Finally, a few concerns: why did the copy-cat behind Mamoru disappear when it could have gone for the kill? I don't think terrified-out-of-his-mind Mamoru could have done much in his state, so who did? And what about the trail of blood? And why is Mamoru being disposed of other than the fact he's weak? Is he really that worthless to the society? I don't think he can become any sort of demon or fiend with his lack of talent so the only annoying aspect about his character is how easily he becomes frightened. And lastly, why is a copy-cat called a copy-cat?
Dec 22, 2012 1:04 PM

Aug 2011
I found nothing wrong with this episode. On the contrary, it gave me a chance to think.

I always get this really panicked feeling whenever I watch Shinsekai yori. Ugh, the atmosphere is just brilliant... Even when it scares the crap out of me. I find that I put myself into the characters' position and THAT is precisely the horror of it all; the fact that you don't know what's going to happen. Mamoru's repeated "I don't want to die." was so real.

Spirai said:

Finally, a few concerns: why did the copy-cat behind Mamoru disappear when it could have gone for the kill? I don't think terrified-out-of-his-mind Mamoru could have done much in his state, so who did? And what about the trail of blood?

This is EXACTLY what I am wondering. What the hell happened to that cat? I'm guessing that somebody else used their Cantus to kill it, judging by the fact that it disappeared into that tornado.
Dec 22, 2012 1:12 PM
Nov 2012
I think this episode proves that Maria DOES love Mamoru...

Anyway, poor Saki and Satoru, first was that girl in episode 1, then Shun died, now it looks like Maria will run away with Mamoru and who knows when we'll see them again or IF we'll even see them again.

Like Saki say in the preview "Why is it always us?".

Why indeed... We never see any of the other kids from the other groups disappear
Dec 22, 2012 1:17 PM

Mar 2011
Nice episode, a little slow paced but I guess it's building up the new arc. You can't build tension while having a million and one things happening at once so episodes like this are needed to better the overall series!

Glad this is a double-season show!
Dec 22, 2012 3:25 PM

Feb 2009
Didn't know that Maria cared that much for Mamoru; I wonder why they want to kill him. He's like a useless character.
Dec 22, 2012 3:32 PM

Mar 2009
Intereo said:

Bonus:

awwwwww YEAH!!!
Dec 22, 2012 4:33 PM

Feb 2012
I really don't like Mamoru, I wouldn't mind his death to be honest but it sounds like Maria is planning to run away together with him, might also lead to the events that made Saki think Maria should've died for the sake of everyone else or something like that.
Dec 22, 2012 5:06 PM

Jun 2010
What are u talking about guys? Mamoru voice is bad? What version are u watching? I know only japanese one, and his voice is soft, emotional, normal.
Dec 22, 2012 5:11 PM

Apr 2011
This episode was crazy. That Copycat that is just creepy and glad to see Mamoru is okay. I wish Mamoru wasn't such a coward he reminds me of a male verison of Sakura from Naruto just useless. Shinsekai is getting better and even more darker.

Dec 22, 2012 5:13 PM

Jan 2012
I'm consistently impressed by the level of storytelling that goes into this.
Dec 22, 2012 6:49 PM

Dec 2012
Has anyone notices that Maria mental state is deteriorating, like shes getting more aggressive. I think she will lose her sanity before mamoru and probably turn into a fiend to defend him.
DarkjollyDec 22, 2012 6:52 PM
Dec 22, 2012 7:41 PM

Feb 2012
Fine episode. Not much happened though...
Dec 23, 2012 2:44 AM

Oct 2007
Once again, the pressure being put on Saki again. I think this will be the direction we are going with and I can't wait to see how Saki going to change this society.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Dec 23, 2012 5:36 AM

Nov 2009
Calling it now, Mamoru is going to become a fiend. Since Shun became a Karma Demon, it's only fitting that one of their friends also becomes a fiend so they know what it's like or something. He's already showing that shaky, insecure personality. His paranoia will probably get the better of him. It almost looked like he killed the copycat in his little flash back, so it would make sense.
Dec 23, 2012 7:14 AM
Nov 2012
After the next time-skip I don't think that even Saki will be safe.

She could die by the end and Satoru could publish her memorial/journal.

I would love to see a situation where Saki become karma demon or a fiend and Satoru is forced to kill her/see her die but not before they will finally confess their love for each other.

That would be a great ending. Sad and tragic, but still great :(
Dec 23, 2012 9:11 AM

Oct 2007
This show has never been about who is going to die first or who is next to die. IMO, it is more about how would you view this society that is trying to create a place for itself and preventing its own destruction.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Dec 23, 2012 10:04 AM

Oct 2012
I liked this episode. I was drawn by the whole ominous and eerie atmosphere. Loved the suspense.
I don't find Mamoru as annoying as before. In fact, I emphasize with him. I would freak out and become paranoid if a Copy Cat was after me. Although those cats don't pose such a threat, I'm pretty sure the Ethics Committee or Board of Education would find a way to dispose of him. The only escape was to run away.
Saki said at the end that their innocent plan of bringing Mamoru back was falling apart. I guess things will only get worse after that.
The background music mas amazing. It fitted the whole atmosphere perfectly.
I still don't know why they are targeting Mamoru. I know people has answered this question in previous posts, but I'm still not sure. Satoru even said that Mamoru's canctus was weak, and that he had no personality problems. In fact, Mamoru is meek.
"We should be more proud of NEETs! Love the country that strives to produce NEETs, for world peace, we must stand up! We must find more non NEET-in-waiting elites, learn from each other , form a new Japanese Party, and bravely challenge the evil! Grow, NEETs! Grow like blazing fire! NEETs!”
Dec 23, 2012 10:06 AM

Nov 2011
Hmmm as far as I remember, the prev episode or was it the manga? damn...

Dec 23, 2012 11:55 AM

Apr 2012
kpk10 said:
The weakest episode of the series so far.

+1
They basically followed some traces in the snow throughout the whole episode. Suspense!
But the animation was constantly good this time. At least I didn't discover any flaws.

AiCon said:
myuun said:
Mamoru's voice is so bad oh my god, I wanna screech and tell him to shush. It's just so, so bad. (..)
I thought I was alone in this. His voice really is bad. I wonder what the director thought in making his voice like that since it makes me want to laugh every time I hear Mamoru.

Opinions, I know. But I actually like his voice. It may sound a bit too young (and whiney for that matter) for his look now but still I think it fits him. There are way worse VA decisions like Kuroko from Toaru Kagaku no Railgun. Thherefore I actually don't exactly see your problem with his voice.
But again, opinions, right?

I see it coming, only Saki is left of this group being the successor of that woman in the last episode she was talking to.
Dec 23, 2012 12:21 PM

Jul 2012
Avarage one.
Dec 23, 2012 1:25 PM

Dec 2012
I feel this anime getting better and better as the series progresses, and Mamoru feels less annoying than before too, time will tell. I hope they find another fake minishiro or w/e it's called though, I'd love to know even more about the past, especially the war.
Dec 23, 2012 2:03 PM
Oct 2012
6/5 Great episode

Can someone explain what happened to the cat inside the school? Did he kill it or did it just back off? If so why the trail of blood?
Dec 23, 2012 2:08 PM

Dec 2012
Rilotia said:
6/5 Great episode

Can someone explain what happened to the cat inside the school? Did he kill it or did it just back off? If so why the trail of blood?

I was wondering about that too lol, I just concluded the blood was from it's last victim or something. I don't think we will ever find out unless we see the copycats again maybe
Dec 23, 2012 3:11 PM
Nov 2012
Look at that:

http://mangafox.me/manga/shin_sekai_yori/v01/c001/8.html

It's the first chapter of the manga.

Clearly foreshadowing the terror that the akki(?) will cause.

The dead man looks like Kaburagi Shisei, the strongest PK user.

The two running are obviously Saki and Satoru, and the one with the long hair that is responsible (the akki?)... Who is that?

Is that Maria? Why is she doing it?
kpk10Dec 23, 2012 3:14 PM
Dec 23, 2012 7:35 PM
Apr 2011
@kpk10: I don't think this is the right thread to discuss when it has nothing to do with the episode. Also it is spoilerish because it has yet to happen in the anime and is that what happens in the novel? You're discussing something that has happened in the manga, so how about discussing it in the manga threads?
Dec 23, 2012 9:58 PM

Nov 2011
Nice episode. The suspense is building up for the next episode. I can't wait, it seems like Saki will be forced to do something for her friends.
And yea, Mamoru's voice is weird but I think it suits him. Being weak and feminine and all.
—Actually, nevermind.
Dec 24, 2012 4:31 AM

Jul 2010
Damn, they really are targeting Mamoru because he's the weaker one. Or was he on the verge of becoming a fiend or karma demon for some reason?

Dec 24, 2012 5:14 AM

Nov 2011
The atmosphere of this episode is still pretty awesome as always (to me), despite people claiming this was a weak episode. Lot of tension in that but yeah, lots of that feel that they saved the best for the next one.

Btw that copycat not killing Mamoru and leaving a trail of blood behind... It wasn't very clear if Mamoru fought it back or not for me. Maybe he really was saved by someone else's Canti then? (I also think Mamoru's voice is weird but it suits him)

Siva said:
This show has never been about who is going to die first or who is next to die. IMO, it is more about how would you view this society that is trying to create a place for itself and preventing its own destruction.

I agree, even though both stuff are clearly connected, it's more of a story of the new world than of those chars.

kpk10 said:
Look at that:

http://mangafox.me/manga/shin_sekai_yori/v01/c001/8.html

It's the first chapter of the manga.

Clearly foreshadowing the terror that the akki(?) will cause.

The dead man looks like Kaburagi Shisei, the strongest PK user.

The two running are obviously Saki and Satoru, and the one with the long hair that is responsible (the akki?)... Who is that?

Is that Maria? Why is she doing it?

Damn!!! This picture connects lots of stuff in my mind to the point of quasi-spoiler.
Dec 24, 2012 9:52 PM

Feb 2012
Normally i don't get affected by horror, but since this series is clearly trying to be one i will admit some scenes in this episode and last freaked me out.

Everything is coming to fruition.
Dec 25, 2012 2:39 AM

Apr 2012
Well, I suppose it couldn't keep producing consecutive exceptional episodes forever. Still bloody good though, the intelligence, ideas and honesty of this show give it a very high baseline. Just the characters moving through the snowy landscape discussing and reasoning about the situation, it feels so real, the attention to detail in it all.
Dec 25, 2012 8:44 AM

Dec 2011
rishardew said:
Good episode, art was inconsistency as usual.

I can remember well and already deleted the previous episodes, but what's the reason for the Holy Barrier?

All cantus users are unconsciously leaking their power a little bit all the time. The Holy Barrier simply shuns the leaked cantus outside. That's the reason for the multitude of strange creatures outside as well.
So the barrier does not protect the inside from the outside, it actually protects the inside from the inside, it's more like a drainage then a barrier.
Dec 25, 2012 3:01 PM

Sep 2008
I have feeling this poster

is spoiler for "order of characters' leaves"
From end... Shun -> Mamoru -> Maria -> Satoru -> Saki
Whole story is based on "Saki's dairy" or something like this...
and in the end... Saki without narrative will lose her memories or die.

Maybe ending also have spoiler...
Dec 25, 2012 7:36 PM

Sep 2011
Poor Mamoru
Come visit my town // I apologize in advance for my second-rate English

Join my fan club // Improve the transport network
Dec 26, 2012 7:41 AM
Sep 2012
So Mamoru was on the run and one of the monster rats from earlier saved him. Not a real interesting episode, but Maria's legs must be strong after all that hopping.
Dec 27, 2012 12:18 AM

Dec 2011
Maria bunny hops... ^_^
Weakest chapter so far, but I still loving it.

@"Poster Spoiler"
I think you can be right lol.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 27, 2012 2:30 PM

Jun 2012
Finally caught up with this series. It's really good, very suspenseful. Even though they are still very young, their world is very serious and dangerous. Anyway, it's great, looking forward for the next episode.
5/5.

Dec 27, 2012 3:03 PM
Dec 2012
Somehow this series does not become the talk of MAL so often as SAO, but to me this is one of the best 2012 anime. I had been waiting for this kind of anime since I watched Seirei no Moribito. The story, directing, and Art (incl. character design) are all good. I like their use of soft focus, which is effective.
Dec 27, 2012 5:58 PM

Nov 2009
Speculations in every corner XD
Whether it's the weakest episode or not, i loved this episode very much and seeing how everything is building up slowly now.
Dec 28, 2012 8:06 AM
Jul 2012
A bit weak I suppose, but I still liked it quite a bit. Anyone else noticing how Maria's mental state is deteriorating? I remember quite a while back Saki mentioned that it would have been better if Maria had never been born.

My guess is that Mamoru's going to die, and soon. Then, Maria will become a fiend. Explains why it would have been better for her to not been born. I also expect Saki to become the Head of the Ethics committee, after she is forced to kill Maria.
Dec 28, 2012 10:29 AM

Jul 2009
Yet again, the animation's quality has gone to crap. I wonder if they're planning to fix up all the screwed up episodes for the BD release...
Story-wise though: great buildup, I'm looking forward to whatever happens next.
Dec 29, 2012 4:33 AM
Nov 2012
Poster and character design for the final arc of the series:

http://sp.matomech.com/article.aspx?aid=5571883&bid=1116
Dec 29, 2012 4:56 AM

Nov 2011
kpk10 said:

My body is ready.
The Art of Eight
Dec 30, 2012 12:20 AM

Sep 2009
kpk10 said:

Isn't that a spoiler. Are we even supposed to know that there is gonna be another timeskip?
Dec 30, 2012 9:40 AM

Jul 2008
steaminferno said:
kpk10 said:

Isn't that a spoiler. Are we even supposed to know that there is gonna be another timeskip?

Well, the anime's official site also has those images, plus the character expressions (http://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/shinsekaiyori/character/saki26.html). I guess we are meant to be aware of it.
Dec 30, 2012 2:13 PM

Aug 2011
kpk10 said:

Wow, they look so good! I guess it's confirmed that Saki and Satoru will go on to be the main characters. That'd make sense, considering that Maria and Mamoru seem to be saying their goodbyes in this episode's preview. Will the voice actors change as well? Maybe Saki's, because it's clear her older self is narrating.

EDIT: Oh, never mind. The official website says that they're 26 and their voice actors are still Taneda Risa and Kaji Yuki respectively.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Ugly KV

ScuzzyBear - Jun 8, 2023

9 by charlieman999 »»
Mar 28, 6:10 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2013

1325 by Xeehad »»
Mar 2, 8:13 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 4, 2013

169 by Xeehad »»
Mar 1, 11:37 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 26, 2012

516 by Xeehad »»
Feb 26, 10:04 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 19, 2012

363 by Xeehad »»
Feb 26, 9:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.