Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (27) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Oct 6, 2012 1:53 PM

Feb 2010
i prefer the ALO part over SAO so i'm happy that we finally left SAO behind us.
Oct 6, 2012 1:54 PM

May 2012
hey wtf super ep is this.. i thought when u die on game u will die on other world too?? kirito and asuna died but they win the game does that explain why they're still alive?

Oct 6, 2012 1:55 PM
Sep 2011
Karpola said:
hyperknees91 said:
draker said:
For a moment there I thought it was the final episode so I was wtfing the whole time.
What's this ALO you've been talking about?

The next online game they play, so they can drag out the story more.
So they learned nothing from this and just wear another nervegear as they see one? I don't get it.

lol amusphere to be exact, cause nervegear was stopped producing due to safety reason.
And there's another reason for them to dive in another world, they have to.

Mar 2011
Amazing episode,the duel was good and Aincrad destoying was sadness.
Jul 2012
DarkTemptation said:
hey wtf super ep is this.. i thought when u die on game u will die on other world too?? kirito and asuna died but they win the game does that explain why they're still alive?

obviously the guy lied
Oct 6, 2012 1:56 PM
Sep 2011
ahneeme said:
meepsheep said:
ThanatosPersona said:
I don't get why people like Asuna so much... I mean i like her too, but just because she's cute.

The main reasons would be that she's hot, she can fight, she has wife-like traits, and she's the second main character to this show.

Look at Asuna I love her because she's has waifu traits, she's just going to be in a kitchen cooking my food and having my babies all day :DD
Those are the cutest things a girl could ever do!!

lol too bad bro, it's not your baby, it's kirito-kun's baby
Oct 6, 2012 1:57 PM

Apr 2008
Rush much?

Some guy one another forum said this was a perfect ep.
I say, not even close.
It was rushed as I've said, it was confusing.
It was lame that we didn't get to see more of that boss battle.
First I thought Asuna died of course, I was shocked, then she comes back and I think she lived, then Kirito starts to cry a lot, then he wakes up and says Asuna and walks out.
So I guess he's gonna look for her. SO IS SHE DEAD OR NOT? :P
What will happen in the next ep is so predictable, especially with that titile. Of coruse he'll go back.

I'm so disappointed at this ep, GAH.
Just make Klein the main, he's cooler XD

Dec 2010
JavierR said:
lmfao i had a feeling it will end like this. Not suprised or really impressed. So is the next episode ALO? or does it show more of what happens in the real world?

Next episode will set up ALO; just as the title indicates its the "Return" to the real world.
Oct 2010
InfiniteDestiny said:
Scoops said:
An episode. Nothing more, nothing less.
Its an episode? you don't say....
Ah, let me deepen the description: Televised segment of drawn animation, transmitted over an approximate period of 24 minutes, consisting of a series of 24 pictures per second to give the illusion of movement, and composed in such a way that illustrates the narration of a story.
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
Oct 6, 2012 1:58 PM

May 2012
This episode actually made me cry a bit(alot*)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
gotta love anime.
Oct 6, 2012 2:00 PM

Nov 2011
Hmm...

Oct 6, 2012 2:00 PM
Jul 2012
radwayxp said:

lmfao i laughed. I was so emotionally detached to kirito and asuna I DID NOT GIVE A FUCK what happened to them.
Oct 6, 2012 2:01 PM

Jul 2012
Wow I didn't expected that. I thought it will be the end and it's not really hallfway.
Oct 6, 2012 2:02 PM

May 2011
Stark700 said:
Hmm...

LMAO!!! someone is a loot whore.
Oct 6, 2012 2:03 PM

Nov 2007
Asuna T_T.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Oct 6, 2012 2:04 PM

Nov 2011
Cirris said:
Stark700 said:
Hmm...

We never found out what Gleam Eyes dropped as well :(
Oct 6, 2012 2:05 PM

Dec 2010
Stark700 said:
Hmm...

Under the circumstances i doubt anyone cared lol
Oct 6, 2012 2:06 PM

Feb 2012
Ajunky said:
InfiniteDestiny said:
Scoops said:
Ah, let me deepen the description: Televised segment of drawn animation, transmitted over an approximate period of 24 minutes, consisting of a series of 24 pictures per second to give the illusion of movement, and composed in such a way that illustrates the narration of a story.

I love you very much.
Oct 6, 2012 2:06 PM
Sep 2009
Good ep, but the ending is strange
- why did you do this?
- hmm I forgot. bye ^_^

lol
Oct 6, 2012 2:07 PM

Jul 2012
JavierR said:
radwayxp said:

lmfao i laughed. I was so emotionally detached to kirito and asuna I DID NOT GIVE A FUCK what happened to them.

this
I think I would have rated this arc higher if they had died but then again, there's still more episodes...Oh or even better. Asuna dies and everyone else goes into ALO arc haha
Oct 6, 2012 2:08 PM

Aug 2008
Stark700 said:
Cirris said:
Stark700 said:
Hmm...

We never found out what Gleam Eyes dropped as well :(
Aww, you spoiled it. I was about to say that's all nice but wtf did it drop??!!

Anyway, Nice view.
Oct 6, 2012 2:08 PM
Sep 2011
Ajunky said:
InfiniteDestiny said:
Scoops said:

24pic per sec are what the eyes can see and recognize. Anime frames are way too low, 10-12frams per sec.
Flawless action sequences is when they use a lot of frames in a single second to give us the feeling of smooth movements.
Oct 6, 2012 2:09 PM

Jul 2012
But i can't stand this lovey dovey staff and crying in this show.
Oct 6, 2012 2:11 PM

Aug 2009
lmao that was hilarious XD "I don't remember why I started it.. just decided to make a game where ppl could actually die... no motivation"

Guy doesn't seem to have a frikin mental disorder so yeah that was stupid and dumb.
Hopefully Asuna is dead so Kirito (Kazuto now I guess) can waste away his miserable existence. Gah that forced drama anyway next arc should be even more ridiculously entertaining.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Oct 6, 2012 2:12 PM

Jan 2012
I enjoyed watching this episode but i can't help but feel disappointed.
Oct 6, 2012 2:14 PM

Apr 2010
qetou said:
- why did you do this?
- hmm I forgot. bye ^_^

lol
He created the game to save to person he fell in love with as a child
kirito = game creator •shot•

I'm a bit peeved that the anime didn't ed with this. The whole going back in to save Asuna… ehhh…
Oct 6, 2012 2:14 PM
Feb 2012
gillbobjones said:

I kinda feel like this to be honest.

The final fight was kinda anti climatic.
Oct 6, 2012 2:15 PM

May 2010
Finally, some interesting stuff is starting to happen. SAO still tries too hard, but I'll give it another chance.

Jul 2011
qetou said:
- why did you do this?
- hmm I forgot. bye ^_^

lol

Kayaba might have as well said: "I was high on drugs back then, and suffer from schizophrenia as I´m constantly dreaming about a castle and decided to imprison millons of people just because"
Yeah, I recall being disappointed at how Kawahara wasted the opportunity of making a mentionworthy villain when I was reading the novel several years ago...

Oct 2009
This really is a shitty anime adaption.
You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me
Aug 2011
How did Asuna jump in to save Kirito? She was clearly paralyzed before.
Even the creator was asking himself why and then there's his half-assed response about things like that happening.
It aggravates me for days.
Ughh.
and if I have to read the novel in order to get more of an explanation then that means the animated adaptation is doing it wrong.
Oct 6, 2012 2:16 PM
Apr 2011
Wasn't really fond of how the duel was resolved, would have been better if he went into a rage mode and started slashing the crap out of him, or anything more plausible. Just "I refuse to die"-feels a bit Deus ex machina. I didn't like it in the anime and I didn't like it in the LN.

But apart from that it was a nice episode. 4/5 I suppose. Though I think an explanation should have been included that the area they were in was made exclusively for them, as a temporary zone, if I recall correctly, for the GM and his friends to have a little chat before they moved on. Other people got fried soon after their in-character death.
Oct 6, 2012 2:17 PM

May 2010
well another very underwhelming episode. my opinion about this stays the same. overhyped average show.

every episode is happening exactly as expected. its getting soooo predictable and thats what i hate most in anime.

2/5
5/10
Oct 6, 2012 2:19 PM

Jan 2012
I liked this but.....the next arc though....

Feb 2011
Are the going to start the alo arc you think. i dont think theres enough episodes be cause of asuna. anyone who read the light novel knows what i mean

Aug 2008
Mandarni said:
Wasn't really fond of how the duel was resolved, would have been better if he went into a rage mode and started slashing the crap out of him, or anything more plausible. Just "I refuse to die"-feels a bit Deus ex machina. I didn't like it in the anime and I didn't like it in the LN.

A bit deus ex machina? There's 3 deus ex machina's in this episode haha.

1- Asuna getting up when no one else can (cuz of power of love)
2- Kirito resisting death (when no one else can cuz power of bs)
3- Kirito and Asuna not dying (once again, power of love)
hyperknees91Oct 6, 2012 2:23 PM
Oct 6, 2012 2:20 PM

Sep 2011
Shit just got interesting
Come visit my town // I apologize in advance for my second-rate English

Join my fan club // Improve the transport network
Oct 6, 2012 2:22 PM

Oct 2010
*sigh* Why do I bother.
Oct 6, 2012 2:22 PM
Apr 2011
parfaited said:
How did Asuna jump in to save Kirito? She was clearly paralyzed before.
Even the creator was asking himself why and then there's his half-assed response about things like that happening.
It aggravates me for days.
Ughh.
and if I have to read the novel in order to get more of an explanation then that means the animated adaptation is doing it wrong.

It wasn't much better in the novel to be honest. As in Accel World the writer has a fascination of exceeding the system, of human beings transcending the rules of the game. Imagination or whatever.

I interpret it as, to reduce lag, the SAO coding takes some consideration to human will and expectations - so if you expect a sword hit to land, in a certain arc, then it will simply go in that arc and hit if it should, it doesn't need to wait for server response. Generally it is a bad idea to leave decision making on the client side, but in this case you can't really hack the client - since that would mean hacking yourself, and either way you are kind stuck in the world without the tools to actually hack it. So I interpret it more as a latency-reduction method, it is believable enough for me to accept.

But I do admit that some explanation of it would have been ... well, nice. This is just my interpretation.
Oct 6, 2012 2:25 PM

Jul 2011
So is this show gonna pull a Rainbow and turn into a slice of life drama in the remaining episodes? Man that entire first arc was terrible episode 2 and up, I can't even take this show seriously.
Oct 6, 2012 2:27 PM
Dec 2009
for someone who hasn't read the light novel, i enjoyed this episode and all previous episodes :)
tag©.androgynous
Oct 6, 2012 2:27 PM
Review Moderator
(。•̀ᴗ-)⌒✧

Jun 2007
A ridiculous arc end to a ridiculous arc story~
Oct 6, 2012 2:28 PM

Jun 2011
I reckon the reason they didn't die is because it would be the douchebaggiest move to let people permanently die on the last boss. Thus, they are just moved into an air balcony until the game finishes killing itself. C'mon man, even Akihiko has a heart xD
Oct 6, 2012 2:28 PM
Oct 2010
Scoops said:
Ajunky said:
InfiniteDestiny said:
Scoops said:
I love you very much.
Thank you very much.
AiCon said:
Kirito waking up in the hospital with long hair and then getting up looking for Asuna was really sweet. Unrealistic due to atrophy but really nice.
I did a little research and it could be possible for a long term coma patient to walk right after waking, there is massage and other therapies that can be used to avoid muscle atrophy, which could be even better in a future. Of course, giving those therapies to all the players on government budget seems overboard, but they all have a room of their own, so why not?
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
Oct 6, 2012 2:29 PM

Jan 2008
qetou said:
- why did you do this?
- hmm I forgot. bye ^_^

lol

IIRC, in Ep1, Kayaba pretty much said "I'm gonna fuck with all your lives because I can." or something along those lines.
Apr 2011
hyperknees91 said:

Actually that last part is not far-fetched. The GM simply made a temporary space for Kirito and Asuna to meet and have a little chat with him. He could have killed them if he wished, but he declined to do so. Instead he favoured releasing them, since the final boss (himself) anyway was defeated (0 hp) and thus the game was cleared. If he hadn't been defeated he may or may not have killed them, we don't know.

The GM is not a bloodthirsty monster who kill just for the sake of killing. He only killed when there was a purpose behind killing, for the sake of his world. Though I do think that someone as intelligent as him would understand that there would be no real need to actually kill anyone - just trapping the dead people in a virtual city, off limits from the SAO world, would be enough. Since the dead players would, poof, go there, the survivors in SAO would still assume that they actually got killed. But I suppose he didn't think of that or there is some other reason that I haven't thought of.

Dec 2010
Ajunky said:
I did a little research and it could be possible for a long term coma patient to walk right after waking, there is massage and other therapies that can be used to avoid muscle atrophy, which could be even better in a future. Of course, giving those therapies to all the players on government budget seems overboard, but they all have a room of their own, so why not?

Not to mention this is set in the future; its not that unrealistic to say their medical technology is better than ours and thus allows better treatment to coma like patients.
Oct 6, 2012 2:32 PM
Mar 2011
gillbobjones said:

^this

the second half better be epic
"....i am the villain in this story"
Oct 6, 2012 2:34 PM

Sep 2012
to all the anime viewers: bet you didn't see that coming xDD

tbh this is the part which i dreaded the most, the end of SAO...midway through the anime....

i didn't find the ending very satisfying like the Light Novel...maybe its because i already knew what happens? or is it because i pictured kirito going rage mode when asuna was cut down and taking heathcliffs blow then pulling out asuna's sword like in the Light novel?

anywho the light novel was much..much better, though i still felt emotional when i saw kirito being cut down and kirito saying goodbye to his two best friends, all the emotions were in the right place

kirito is really frail in the real world, he's all bony and even has long hair lol, not how i pictured him in the novel but yea

now we go on to SAOs least favourite arc....
Oct 6, 2012 2:35 PM

Aug 2008
Mandarni said:
hyperknees91 said:

Actually that last part is not far-fetched. The GM simply made a temporary space for Kirito and Asuna to meet and have a little chat with him. He could have killed them if he wished, but he declined to do so. Instead he favoured releasing them, since the final boss (himself) anyway was defeated (0 hp) and thus the game was cleared. If he hadn't been defeated he may or may not have killed them, we don't know.

The GM is not a bloodthirsty monster who kill just for the sake of killing. He only killed when there was a purpose behind killing, for the sake of his world. Though I do think that someone as intelligent as him would understand that there would be no real need to actually kill anyone - just trapping the dead people in a virtual city, off limits from the SAO world, would be enough. Since the dead players would, poof, go there, the survivors in SAO would still assume that they actually got killed. But I suppose he didn't think of that or there is some other reason that I haven't thought of.

But the thing is they died..clearly they died before going into that space (at the very least Asuna did, because when did Kayaba have the time to send her into that space before her nervegear killed her).

And let's try not to reason with the villain, he has no motive and nothing he does make any sense. Though then again he is a semi-griffith rip off from berserk so we can assume his motives from that I guess.
Pages (27) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What even is SAO anymore? ( 1 2 )

Jason-Skyrunner - Apr 27

53 by soli1239 »»
10 hours ago

» Overall do you enjoy watching SAO? What do you like about it? :) ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 15

71 by ItsQuintaly »»
May 5, 12:05 AM

» We need a reboot

Superninjaboy2 - Mar 15

32 by Jason-Skyrunner »»
May 1, 5:20 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bippo - Dec 8, 2012

480 by amf85 »»
Apr 27, 5:20 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 10, 2012

680 by amf85 »»
Apr 27, 2:32 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.