Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Sep 16, 2012 5:57 PM

Dec 2009
it's pretty meh, i prefer the fight in the original version and kurapika eye's is exaggerated here. Also BMG and way better than the new one.

I also prefer the aura effects in the original version because here it's like im watching DGZ LOL

Original Version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7y44OEt1VU
gendouhydeistSep 16, 2012 6:08 PM
Sep 16, 2012 6:01 PM

Aug 2011
Amazing animation and overall episode. Only thing the old did better was having more intense BGM during the fight scenes like this one:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn57LMgIpUo

I also liked the different approach with voice acting. The captured Uvogin scene DESTROYED the old version though! I really loved the added brutalilty in that scene and just the look in Kurapika's face overall (having 2 scarlet eyes is way more epic)

The old version had Kurapika show signs of regret after killing him, but this version makes him go straight up to calling his comrades! (as it is in the manga) I can't wait for MH to reach the later arcs : ) I'm so pleased with this version.
TerumiSep 16, 2012 6:10 PM
Sep 16, 2012 6:24 PM

Sep 2008
I liked the fight in the old version more. I though the 2011 fight was way to slow and the BGM did not fit. How did they manage to drag the fight out into a whole episode almost :Þ

The high point was the death itself, it was done extremely well and the Ubogin's voice actor in the 2011 anime was great until the end. Overall decent fight, can't complain about the gore and blood either, a lot more of it in the 2011 version of the fight.
Sep 16, 2012 6:25 PM

Dec 2009
Old school vs new school, back in 1999 where still watching it on TV in 4:3 aspect ratio and also that time that was the best animated series at that time, that's why we could feel more impact in the original version than the new ones unbiased.

and yeah better DL DVD version of that episode the youtube quality destroy the animation.
Sep 16, 2012 6:27 PM

Jan 2012
gendouhydeist said:
it's pretty meh, i prefer the fight in the original version and kurapika eye's is exaggerated here. Also BMG and way better than the new one.

I also prefer the aura effects in the original version because here it's like im watching DGZ LOL

Original Version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7y44OEt1VU

The thing about this post and the one above....You guys seen the older anime and already knew of whats to come. The people that are new to HxH in general actually felt the intensity and the meaning of the battle.

Anyways it's all subjective but 1999 nostalgia bias is easily present.

Here's an unbiased opinion of a person who hasn't read the manga or watched the 1999 anime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErI6mwEp7j8

Heres a video of a person who has seen both the manga and the older anime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oSP3hAtfM4
noonealiveSep 16, 2012 6:34 PM
Sep 16, 2012 6:32 PM

Nov 2011
The fight was incredible! It Truly felt like the manga has come to life :) *Big round of applause for Madhouse. Also R.I.P. Uvogin :(
Sep 16, 2012 8:10 PM

Jul 2012
uvogin sacrificed by light yagami to gain more intel on kurapika. nothing will stop light from becoming god
Sep 17, 2012 12:39 AM

Oct 2011
I knew Kurapika was pretty strong, but wow... this fight was really fitting for this tone in this arc, definitely the best episode so far. Makes me wonder why they insist keeping the cheery opening, it seems like things will just get darker from here.
Sep 17, 2012 1:07 AM

Mar 2012
Epic Episode. Blow my Expectation away.

Just make me more sad to realize this serie will run out of material in a year as it catch up to the manga because the author is too ill to continues writing the manga.
Sep 17, 2012 3:23 AM
Oct 2011
Mephz said:
I liked the fight in the old version more. I though the 2011 fight was way to slow and the BGM did not fit. How did they manage to drag the fight out into a whole episode almost :Þ
It's because of the flash-back. in the 1999 version they animated Kurapika's training before Yorkshin, in this episode they did things just like in the manga, the flash-back's place is here.

leeo268 said:

Just make me more sad to realize this serie will run out of material in a year as it catch up to the manga because the author is too ill to continues writing the manga.
No, it can easily air for another 2 years and a half without any fillers. Besides Togashi is working on the movie atm so he might come back in Mars/April next year after the movie is out.
Sep 17, 2012 4:19 AM
Mar 2012
The 99 fight didn't follow the manga, that's why there were some different scenes. Comparing them both, the 99 version had better soundtracks (why won't the 2011 version give up on the hunter exam soundtrack already?), seemed a lot more darker (and what would be hxh without dark themes?) but at the same time it looked blurry and cheap because of the overuse of dark panels (the 2011 version was a lot clearer and livelier). Overall I prefer the 2011 version because it followed the manga (if the 99 followed the manga it wouldn't have looked that good), and because kurapika didn't go emo in the end.
2011 was dark too but more in a mature level.
ShadugeSep 17, 2012 4:24 AM
Sep 17, 2012 11:51 AM

Apr 2011
If 2011 had a better soundtrack... I would bump this up by a few points, in my book.

The fight was nice, it was longer extended, than unnecessary. Kura is cold in this series, compared to 1999, where he broke down a bit, after killing Uvo, but it shows how human, he is.

As always and forever, the 2011 animation looks cartoony :)
Sep 17, 2012 12:38 PM

Jan 2012
vansonbee said:
If 2011 had a better soundtrack... I would bump this up by a few points, in my book.

The fight was nice, it was longer extended, than unnecessary. Kura is cold in this series, compared to 1999, where he broke down a bit, after killing Uvo, but it shows how human, he is.

Yeah him not breaking down shows how much he cares about his tribe and his revenge. It speaks tons more than him going on his knees and grabbing his face. Kurapika made a vow to sacrifice his life to kill these guys. Makes no sense to feel remorse for them after making such a decision.

Plus he was very human during the torture scene. He was disgusted by it.
Sep 17, 2012 1:10 PM

Jun 2012
noonealive said:
vansonbee said:

Yeah him not breaking down shows how much he cares about his tribe and his revenge. It speaks tons more than him going on his knees and grabbing his face. Kurapika made a vow to sacrifice his life to kill these guys. Makes no sense to feel remorse for them after making such a decision.

I think people forget the part just before Kurapika puts Judgment Chain into Uvogin. He tells Uvogin how he hates the feeling of torturing Uvogin because it makes him sick, and then asks how all of the PT are able to do this for a living. I think Kurapika was very human there but it wouldn't make sense for him to show pity/mercy to people who MASSACRED HIS ENTIRE FAMILY/CLAN all for the "greatest commodities in the world" .

It made sense for Kurapika to ask Uvogin that question, I mean who could blame him. If you had the chance to meet one of the people who traumatized you when you weren't able to process everything, wouldn't you want to know what makes him tick?

I think Kurapika's true self is when he's with Gon, Killua, and Leorio but his goal in life conflicts with his inner nature.
Sep 17, 2012 1:17 PM
Nov 2010
Great episode. Everything looked pretty nice. More, please!
Sep 17, 2012 3:06 PM

Sep 2008
Candor said:
Mephz said:
It's because of the flash-back. in the 1999 version they animated Kurapika's training before Yorkshin, in this episode they did things just like in the manga, the flash-back's place is here.

leeo268 said:

No, it can easily air for another 2 years and a half without any fillers. Besides Togashi is working on the movie atm so he might come back in Mars/April next year after the movie is out.

even if I exclude the flashback I still feel the fight itself moves too slowly, they punch slowly, they move slowly etcetc
MephzSep 17, 2012 3:12 PM
Sep 17, 2012 4:55 PM

Jun 2012
A great episode, obviously, as over 90% of people (including me) voted it a 5/5. We finally get to see an epic battle, the first between Kurapika and a Phantom Troupe member, who was arrogant and of course, focused primarily on strength (no special abilities). I also liked the black and white at the end, really great addition to the end of the episode. Anyway, looking forward to the next battle, although it won't be next episode...

Sep 17, 2012 5:41 PM

Feb 2011
what. an. AWESOME. episode.

This is what I wait in the Remake version, and now it turns to be more awesome than I think.

Well, I am running out of words to comment for this episode.

Loved It! Definitely!
"To some, online is more important than seeing friends, eating and even breathing."

<!--link--><a href="http://myanimelist.net/animelist/kuruta_tribe&sclick=1">

Sep 17, 2012 7:00 PM

Jan 2012
Hybridbloodszak said:
noonealive said:
vansonbee said:

I think people forget the part just before Kurapika puts Judgment Chain into Uvogin. He tells Uvogin how he hates the feeling of torturing Uvogin because it makes him sick, and then asks how all of the PT are able to do this for a living. I think Kurapika was very human there but it wouldn't make sense for him to show pity/mercy to people who MASSACRED HIS ENTIRE FAMILY/CLAN all for the "greatest commodities in the world" .

It made sense for Kurapika to ask Uvogin that question, I mean who could blame him. If you had the chance to meet one of the people who traumatized you when you weren't able to process everything, wouldn't you want to know what makes him tick?

I think Kurapika's true self is when he's with Gon, Killua, and Leorio but his goal in life conflicts with his inner nature.

Exactly. Even before the fight started Kurapika questioned Uvo.He wanted to measure Uvo's ruthlessness i guess you can say. The answers he gave Kurapika is what ultimately lead to his demise. =[]
Sep 17, 2012 7:01 PM

Jan 2012
Mephz said:
Candor said:
Mephz said:

leeo268 said:

even if I exclude the flashback I still feel the fight itself moves too slowly, they punch slowly, they move slowly etcetc

Did you like anything added besides the fight?
Sep 17, 2012 9:10 PM

Sep 2011
Wow that was pretty amazing, this remake is setting an example for how remakes should be done. R.I.P Uvogin one of my favorite villains in manga/anime, Ootsuka, Akio made this character even more epic.

5/5
Sep 17, 2012 9:32 PM

Jan 2010
One of the best anime fights ever (in 1999 or 2011 version). Period!

5/5
Sep 17, 2012 10:30 PM

May 2011
Everything in this episode was just freaking amazing. Kurapika owned Uvo and he did it with awesome abilities. Most memorable episode yet.
Sep 17, 2012 11:34 PM

Mar 2009

LOL @ that shifty glance. Chrollo had better watch the fuck out.

Strangely enough, that was my favorite part of the episode. Heh. Hisoka tends to steal every scene he's in, even when he isn't doing much.

Needless to say, fantastic episode. As always, the fight was more dynamic than the "original" fight. I also liked how Kurapika didn't break down as much here, but was obviously struggling with what he was doing. I've seen some people on other blogs call Kurapika a boring character or too humorless when it comes to the rest of the cast, but that's a crappy reason for not liking him. After all, he's had a tough life, and a large part of his personality is his drive for revenge. Kurapika's carefree and likable personality when he's, say, hanging out with Gon and company, or even talking with Melody, serves as a nice contrast to when he's otherwise wrestling with his own humanity. In fact, it's that last part that makes him so fascinating and, while I sincerely hope he stays the likable guy and retains his humanity, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't interested in seeing how far he goes in his revenge against the Spiders.
Sep 18, 2012 1:11 AM

Jul 2011
I liked this new version more, except the soundtrack.
Sep 18, 2012 7:28 AM

Oct 2010
Everything is better than the first anime especially graphics, I wonder how they can "decipher" the manga as the manga has horrible/lazy art.
"Boredom is like poison."

Sep 18, 2012 10:19 AM

Jan 2012
Lonewolf10 said:
Everything is better than the first anime especially graphics, I wonder how they can "decipher" the manga as the manga has horrible/lazy art.

It's easy. You look at the manga and draw the characters base of the manga. It's pretty simple. How is it lazy? He puts the right amount of panels to tell the story in each chapter. Also he doesn't have assistance. He does the storyboard and art all by himself.Yu Yu hakusho proves how good of an artist he is.

Watch Bakuman and tell me it's easy to do what he does especially by himself...Also the Volumes are a big plus when it comes to the manga. The translations and the art are topknotch.
Sep 18, 2012 4:52 PM

Aug 2012
Mormegil said:

LOL @ that shifty glance. Chrollo had better watch the fuck out.

Strangely enough, that was my favorite part of the episode. Heh. Hisoka tends to steal every scene he's in, even when he isn't doing much.

Needless to say, fantastic episode. As always, the fight was more dynamic than the "original" fight. I also liked how Kurapika didn't break down as much here, but was obviously struggling with what he was doing. I've seen some people on other blogs call Kurapika a boring character or too humorless when it comes to the rest of the cast, but that's a crappy reason for not liking him. After all, he's had a tough life, and a large part of his personality is his drive for revenge. Kurapika's carefree and likable personality when he's, say, hanging out with Gon and company, or even talking with Melody, serves as a nice contrast to when he's otherwise wrestling with his own humanity. In fact, it's that last part that makes him so fascinating and, while I sincerely hope he stays the likable guy and retains his humanity, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't interested in seeing how far he goes in his revenge against the Spiders.

I don't see how that's a "crappy" reason, what you wrote after "after all" just sorta describes why he is the way he is. Personally, if he didn't have Gon+Leorio+Senritsu+Killua, etc, I really do think I wouldn't have found him likable at all. Or as interesting. Seriously, as long as his revenge stays on the Spiders, I'll like him no matter how far he goes. If it strays elsewhere or hurts others (while otherwise staying the same as ever), I doubt I'd be able to stop myself from outright hating him. But the way he is now is good. -w-
Sep 18, 2012 5:19 PM

Sep 2012
Excellent episode. This and KNB 24 were a treat this week.
Sep 19, 2012 4:11 AM

Jun 2010
Trafl-guy said:
Excellent episode. This and KNB 24 were a treat this week.

You're right! :3

I really loved this episode, I could'n breathe while I was watching it (maybe because I watched it immediately after Hyouka, lol). Kurapika has always been my favourite character beacuse of his resolution. Unfortunately I don't remember anything of the previous series and I don't read the manga, I can't say if this was better or not D:
Sep 19, 2012 5:57 AM
Nov 2010
Ragna92 said:
Kurapika was bad ass this episode. Damn to see that kind of brutality in a shounen is quite awesome, haven't seen anything even close to that in One piece or Fairy tail.

Yeah.. In one piece, I think almost all of their epic fight scenes are longer than 2 episodes. This battle of Kurapika vs Uvo is super awesome because though it's short, the momentum is wisely build up and it didn't failed. It didn't degraded also..

I can't stop clapping. Literally. lol
Sep 20, 2012 7:54 AM

Jul 2009
Possibly the best episode of HxH ever. The way Kurapika kills Uvogin is so amazingly brutal, I loved every second of it.
Sep 20, 2012 3:12 PM

Aug 2012
if only the music was as good as Nippon Adaptation version.

This one is an excellent episode.
Sep 20, 2012 3:57 PM

Sep 2009
the battle was epic but madhouse did a better work in gon vs hisoka fight
BenicioSep 20, 2012 5:00 PM
Sep 20, 2012 4:36 PM

Aug 2012
^spoiler tags plz u know if u want

it was a great scene, but did anybody else think the blood that was spread out above Uvo's head when he croaked a bit sudden? it wasn't really shown coming out of Uvo's mouth (if it was, it was really quick), but as soon as the color changed, the blood was already up there too...
meshimoonSep 20, 2012 4:39 PM
Sep 20, 2012 7:07 PM

Jan 2012
I think his heart exploded and blood shot out his mouth pretty much.
Sep 21, 2012 5:11 AM

Jan 2011
That Uvo's monochrome light death scene is superb.

I would wait for the next episode. This shall be a deja vu.
There is like 2 weeks delay in my recent reading list
I randomly bought discount/second hand manga with cute/mysterious cover.

Use Personal Blacklist extension in Chrome if you just want to Google for a series synopsis, without google slapping MAL score in it.
3/1
Sep 21, 2012 2:46 PM

Jun 2010
i knew it!,.,. i'm not wrong for choosing kurapika as my fav character all this time :)
never expect him to be a Specialist.
best ep so FAR..no doubt about it
10/5
Sep 22, 2012 3:24 AM

Oct 2009
Wow props to MH really great job! No censoring! Awesome animation and execution, i don't remember the 1999 version being this brutal, hmm but like the other guy said this wasn't as memorable; which is still one the best fights i have ever seen :D if only the OST wasn't crap this would have been perfect :|

..poor Uvogin :/
AozureSep 22, 2012 3:29 AM
Sep 22, 2012 6:01 AM

Sep 2009
Almost as good as the original :P
So they decided to add blood now ?... they could have decided that earlier.
Sep 22, 2012 7:07 AM

Aug 2012
^apparently not. -_- I wish I knew how censorship stuff worked, cuz it doesn't seem to make much sense to me.
I'm just glad they let up on it before the GI/CA arcs.
Sep 22, 2012 10:35 AM

Nov 2011
I don't know what you guys are talking about... this whole arc has had hardly any censorship to begin with... examples
Uvogin vs The Mafia
Uvogin vs The Shadow Beasts
Phinks stabbing Dalzollene through the chest (which was more bloodier than the manga :p)
Sep 22, 2012 11:20 AM

Aug 2012
^I was talking about pre-YS. (hunter exams mainly)
Sep 22, 2012 11:29 AM

Jan 2012
^hunter exam still had blood.. and violence. Did you not see Hisoka have a cut on his shoulder the whole time. Gerrata's dead body being set down in front of Gon....I've rewatched the anime and the violence and blood was still there. Non of it felt censored. Also i don't understand why people are complaining about censorship to begin with. What other anime are less censored?
Sep 22, 2012 12:57 PM

Aug 2012
I'm saying there could've been more blood. And since there's more now, I dunno why they weren't more consistent about it. It seriously makes me think they all decide things as they go. The amount of violence is fine, I'm happy about that. It's just they don't show as much blood as they could at certain scenes, but add more than strictly necessary at other scenes. (btw some parts felt censored to me. Just usually not enough to make me think badly of it.) Just because some other anime get censored doesn't mean I can't complain. :P
Sep 22, 2012 1:00 PM
Oct 2011
meshimoon said:
I'm saying there could've been more blood. And since there's more now, I dunno why they weren't more consistent about it. It seriously makes me think they all decide things as they go. The amount of violence is fine, I'm happy about that. It's just they don't show as much blood as they could at certain scenes, but add more than strictly necessary at other scenes. (btw some parts felt censored to me. Just usually not enough to make me think badly of it.) Just because some other anime get censored doesn't mean I can't complain. :P
It's because of the violence censoring rules in Japan, I think they were following the rules at first but in YS they decided to say fy to the rules. Also, HxH airs at 11:00 AM so it's a time-slot where they should've censored heavily, I think.
Sep 22, 2012 2:11 PM

Aug 2012
^yeah, but why ignore the rules now instead of doing so from the start? fan complaints?
Sep 22, 2012 2:15 PM
Oct 2011
meshimoon said:
^yeah, but why ignore the rules now instead of doing so from the start? fan complaints?
Who knows, but Madhouse did mention around Heaven's Arena or Zoldyck Family arc that YS will be darker and more brutal than the previous 3 arcs.
Sep 22, 2012 5:41 PM

Jan 2012
meshimoon said:

You could complain all you want, I'm not stoping you. I'm just saying it makes no sense to complain. You should be happy this arc didn't follow the same rules..=[]
Sep 22, 2012 6:26 PM

Aug 2012
^It makes sense for somebody to complain if they're not entirely happy about something. I'm generally happy with this arc, except I was focusing on the Hunter Exam arc (and the slight inconsistencies in censorship that followed.) I'm overall satisfied, but since I'm greedy (I'd like to think of this as an exaggeration |D) I want better. (my "better", not necessarily your "better")
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

fishergirl16 - Dec 17, 2011

108 by Nerdason »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Panaru - Dec 10, 2011

214 by Nerdason »»
12 hours ago

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kamuki - Dec 3, 2011

148 by Nerdason »»
Today, 4:25 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

fishergirl16 - Nov 26, 2011

122 by Nerdason »»
Yesterday, 4:24 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kefkiroth - Nov 19, 2011

125 by Nerdason »»
Yesterday, 3:52 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.