Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (16) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Sep 1, 2012 3:36 PM
Oct 2010
Well, no matter what trolls and haters say, this was a cool episode.
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
Sep 1, 2012 3:37 PM

May 2010
another flaw in SAO. only he can use dual blades.

yeh sure..

this is not getting better at all..average anime still. and fancy animations cant hide it.
Sep 1, 2012 3:38 PM

Jun 2009
Finally we get to see the guild leader hehe...
cant wait to see their fight next epi.
And man.. that was a long hug.. O_O!
LET JUSTICE BE DONE; THOUGH THE HEAVENS MAY FALL
Sep 1, 2012 3:41 PM
Feb 2012
It's a good show for 12+, that's about it . . .
There's no deep story to be found here.
Sep 1, 2012 3:42 PM

Feb 2008
Yeah I believe this anime is focus for the novel reading, only those LN reader will completely understand what is going on, but they did cover the most part of the novel in this episode.

I wonder how they will ever make it to 25 episodes when they rush like this, maybe it's possible it will cover the next arc as well. O_o

But still will that be enough for 25 episodes?

I looking forward to see Suguha so hoping for the next arc. :D
KvakondSep 1, 2012 4:30 PM

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Sep 1, 2012 3:43 PM
Nov 2011
For those of you who sincerely enjoy the heartwarming moments between Asuna x Kirito. There is a whole lot more to come.

For those of you who loves action, and fight scenes, there will be less.

I'll be the first to admit I've become a major fanboy of the series, but ever since gundam 00 (and even in that series, it wasn't all that great), action and fight scenes in anime had a drop off ever since. As much as I loved the story, characters, visuals etc in recent popular and great series such as Fate/Zero and Sword Art Online. The fight scenes was never great.
Maybe it's just hard to make actual good animated fight scenes. Ever since we are kids, we saw dragonball, and other anime with its cheesy screenshot fight scenes. If you think about it, it's really just a whole bunch of screenshots of characters distorted facial expressions combined into one large animation of blast, then apparently that was a fight scene.

The Kirito dual blade cut fight scene was the first real combat and movement within ONE SCREEN since forever. I am not an animator, i'd imagine it must be hard to make those fighting scenes, but i'm getting a little sick of them cutting different screens to make it look like a fight when all i see is, *charge* *slash* *enemy drop*.
3 screens combined together into a 10 second video.

Even the much vaulted Fate/Zero continuously do this trick.

My point is, is it just me who noticed this trend in animes for the past decade? Is it truly that hard to make real action scenes?

I'm quite interested to know what other people think of this.
Sep 1, 2012 3:44 PM

Jan 2012
The first episode since episode 2 that i can say was really good.
Sep 1, 2012 3:46 PM
Mar 2011
I had pretty high expectations since people were saying that from ep 8 on, when the show gets back to the main story, the quality will increase a lot. However, while I think episodes 2-7 did very well in sketching how the characters developed in the first two years, so they were fine (not good, as the stories themselves were nothing special and original, but fine nonetheless), the quality in the last two eps dropped down to average at best.

Kirito trying to take Asuna away? The leader wants a duel because of that? Cut the crap, it was obvious to everyone, surely including Kirito, how flowed his argument was and all he wanted was to force Kirtito into his guild. And a special skill only Kirito has? Unless he's just saying so to keep secret how he got it, it's just more bullshit (but it's early to tell which the case is).
Sep 1, 2012 3:48 PM

Aug 2012
great episode
finally a boss fight on his own been waiting for that !
"I'm not going there to die. I'm going to find out if I'm really alive.Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop)
see you space cowboy...

Sep 1, 2012 3:50 PM

Mar 2011
Kirito soloing the boss like a badass with dual swords was pretty awesome.
And asuna somewhat confessing was cute.

Next ep: Fight for your love!
Sep 1, 2012 3:51 PM

Aug 2011
NNick said:

The show doesn't have to be deep to be for grown-ups. Have you ever heard of action or comedy genre? You can watch an anime for plenty of reasons - not just to feed your soul :)

I hope show continues to bring up more fight scenes and story development, and less episodes that feel like a filler. This episode was excellent imo - 5/5!
Sep 1, 2012 3:57 PM

Feb 2008
Well, mike I can understand that but this anime is not focus at making awesome fighting scenes, so that's why we going to continue see less fighting in this anime.

Well at least I prefer these scenes with Asuna x Kirito and now we got a fun moment with Klein as well. Haha. :D
The Army was stupid he should let his men resting, isn't that the basic to try conquer a boss? O_o

It's might be just me but I can't see any wrong with the quality and just saying ah well it's all good I guess.

I keep it simple I just want to see more Kirito x Asuna.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Sep 1, 2012 3:58 PM

May 2012
WTH super bad ass..

Sep 1, 2012 3:59 PM

Feb 2008
Even so he almost got killed, did you check his HP?

Miyakoto said:
Kirito soloing the boss like a badass with dual swords was pretty awesome.
And asuna somewhat confessing was cute.

Next ep: Fight for your love!

Sep 1, 2012 4:02 PM

Feb 2012
Paul said:
Well, made a gif for the fight... 10 MBs... wonder if it'll make anyone lag.

Awesome! And i loved this episode, can't wait for next week.

Sep 1, 2012 4:03 PM

Aug 2012
Stark700 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------

For some reason, I thought this episode was sort of cute especially with Asuna sharing the food with Kirito, her little smile, the long hug, and Klein's return. Speaking of.. I lol'd @ Klein's reaction after meeting Asuna. Fucking priceless.

As some others have said,

God, I love the music for this series..

Also, I wonder how long they've been hugging

Yes, the choreography with the music is what made this episode. The animation took a back seat which just goes to show what good direction can accomplish.

As an aside, I was glad they included Lizbeth towards the end, letting us know that Kirito did indeed show her Dual-Blades. I also noticed that Lizbeth was lugging around another Crystalline Ingot inside that box of her's.

Anybody else notice any tidbit details in this episode that might have been overlooked?
Sep 1, 2012 4:05 PM

Aug 2011
That fight was impressive, but I loled how during the entire conversation between Klein and Kirito after the battle, Asuna was in the same position hugging Kirito for like five minutes. The end art is really pretty though.

By the way, their avatars are supposed to be how they look in real life right? This may be ignorant of me, but why are there so many old people?

And I still don't get this "hierarchy" of guilds and just like... the players in general. Um, can't Kirito and Asuna just walk away from that Heathcliff dude? Why does it even matter what they think? Asuna could even just quit the guild if she wanted to. Why do those panel of commanders get their very own glass-walled room?
yamagoopSep 1, 2012 4:09 PM
Sep 1, 2012 4:08 PM

Jun 2011
I'd say this episode has been better than the past 7 by a long shot. I just hope it can continue to stay in this quality. Also love the dual blades. :P
Sep 1, 2012 4:09 PM

Aug 2012
itsvero said:
That fight was impressive, but I loled how during the entire conversation between Klein and Kirito after the battle, Asuna was in the same position hugging Kirito for like five minutes. The end art is really pretty though.

By the way, their avatars are supposed to be how they look in real life right? This may be ignorant of me, but why are there so many old people?

I guess it means a lot of older people play VR games.

Hey, I know plenty of people who play these games and they always invite me to play some of the WII and Xbox games that either track your body movements or use accelerometers in the controller pads.
Sep 1, 2012 4:10 PM

Jan 2011
>SAO
>Finally got good
Oh that fight scene, come on people, tell me the wait was worth it.
Sep 1, 2012 4:12 PM

Jan 2008
itsvero said:

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC, it was because of getting the game. It was a very hard game to get with very limited copies, chances are, a lot of adults had more connections, and obviously more money than younger players. I'm sure not every kid on the block could afford a NerveGear or whatever it was called.
Sep 1, 2012 4:17 PM

Mar 2010
Awesome episode, double blades is what I also thought he would be hiding, but I didn't think it would be a big deal..

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Sep 1, 2012 4:18 PM

Aug 2012
itsvero said:

And I still don't get this "hierarchy" of guilds and just like... the players in general. Um, can't Kirito and Asuna just walk away from that Heathcliff dude? Why does it even matter what they think? Asuna could even just quit the guild if she wanted to. Why do those panel of commanders get their very own glass-walled room?

Yes, she could just quit. Technically.

But remember, this MMORPG isn't just any ordinary game. It's real life for Asuna and Kirito.

In Real Life, you don't just walk away from a community and risk alienating them. You'd lose your standing and the resources of that community to some degree. Losing the good standing to one of the strongest guilds in SAO would be like losing your standing with a major employer or any other important organization in your community.

You wouldn't do it lightly.

At the very least, you'd try to handle matters professionally with full consideration of the other side's concerns, just to see things eye-to-eye. It would be bad manners, not to mention bad for your future, to just stick a finger in that eye unless it is absolutely unavoidable. At some point, Asuna and Kirito are going to want the guild's help, even if they decide they won't want to be a part of it.

Kirito and Heathcliff simply haggled on the terms of Asuna's temporary severance from the guild, resulting in a duel.
Sep 1, 2012 4:19 PM

Dec 2009
Great episode. Love how they put in the fact that Kirito did tell Liz about Dual Blades. Off sceen tho. xD
Sep 1, 2012 4:19 PM

Jul 2011
Zubo said:
NNick said:

The show doesn't have to be deep to be for grown-ups. Have you ever heard of action or comedy genre? You can watch an anime for plenty of reasons - not just to feed your soul :)

I hope show continues to bring up more fight scenes and story development, and less episodes that feel like a filler. This episode was excellent imo - 5/5!

don't mind him, its just nick being nick, everyone usually ignores him anyway because he just wants to troll <_<

i have to say that this was the best episode i've seen so far, im glad A1 didn't screw up dual blades and didn't make kirito seem hax i.e. he was on the verge of death at the end and gleameyes already had most of his HP cut down

they animated this episode pretty well, you can understand how kirito was feeling when everyone was about to die and how he still thinks about the black cats even a year later

i also like the way they are developing kirito's and asuna's relationship, i won't say anymore

and finally, heathcliff makes his appearance, can't wait for next weeks dual
Sep 1, 2012 4:22 PM

Aug 2008
One question ruined the end for me.

Sep 1, 2012 4:23 PM
Apr 2011
I don't really understand how 'skills' work here. They're breathing, eating, sleeping, walking around, etc in that world right? Why would you need a toggle choice in your menu to be physically capable of putting a second sword in your other hand? That makes no sense to me whatsoever.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
Sep 1, 2012 4:25 PM

Jul 2011
Netto_Azure said:
Great episode. Love how they put in the fact that Kirito did tell Liz about Dual Blades. Off sceen tho. xD

im glad liz is still with us, and glad she was the first one he told about his dual blades like the LN

Jerrychiang said:
itsvero said:

But remember, this MMORPG isn't just any ordinary game. It's real life for Asuna and Kirito.

In Real Life, you don't just walk away from a community and risk alienating them. You'd lose your standing and the resources of that community to some degree. Losing the good standing to one of the strongest guilds in SAO would be like losing your standing with a major employer or any other important organization in your community.

At the very least, you'd try to handle matters professionally with full consideration of the other side's concerns, just to see things eye-to-eye. It would be bad manners, not to mention bad for your future, to just stick a finger in that eye unless it is absolutely unavoidable. At some point, Asuna and Kirito are going to want the guild's help, even if they decide they won't want to be a part of it.

Kirito and Heathcliff simply haggled on the terms of Asuna's temporary severance from the guild, resulting in a duel.

not to mention kirito was cocky, it would be the simplest and easiest way to settle the whole argument instead of just wasting time talking about it
Sep 1, 2012 4:27 PM

Aug 2012
kamikaze_1996 said:
Zubo said:
NNick said:

don't mind him, its just nick being nick, everyone usually ignores him anyway because he just wants to troll <_<

i have to say that this was the best episode i've seen so far, im glad A1 didn't screw up dual blades and didn't make kirito seem hax i.e. he was on the verge of death at the end and gleameyes already had most of his HP cut down

they animated this episode pretty well, you can understand how kirito was feeling when everyone was about to die and how he still thinks about the black cats even a year later

i also like the way they are developing kirito's and asuna's relationship, i won't say anymore

and finally, heathcliff makes his appearance, can't wait for next weeks dual

I actually thought the animation dipped a little; those flashes which stood in for actual animation and dedicated "cells" during the fight for example.

But the direction and the music was top notch, to the point that you really didn't mind. Kirito didn't have to say anything for the episode to convey what he was feeling and thinking. I especially liked the little details they slipped in.

The cut towards Heathcliff without much of an introduction can also be forgiven...again because the background music was well done, giving the sense of "majesty" that came with Heathcliff's presence.
Sep 1, 2012 4:28 PM

Jul 2011
makoa69 said:
I don't really understand how 'skills' work here. They're breathing, eating, sleeping, walking around, etc in that world right? Why would you need a toggle choice in your menu to be physically capable of putting a second sword in your other hand? That makes no sense to me whatsoever.

thats not the point, you can put a second sword on your hand but you won't be able to activate dual wielded sword skills, if your current attack pattern is set to 1 handed sword skills, it will imbalance the system and your sword skills will be disrupted, you would need to have dual blades as one of your options to use it
Sep 1, 2012 4:31 PM

Aug 2012
kamikaze_1996 said:
Netto_Azure said:

im glad liz is still with us, and glad she was the first one he told about his dual blades like the LN

Jerrychiang said:
itsvero said:

not to mention kirito was cocky, it would be the simplest and easiest way to settle the whole argument instead of just wasting time talking about it

There's that too, although the LN gives a good reason for Kirito's quick acceptance of the Heathcliff's terms:

Sep 1, 2012 4:33 PM

Jul 2011
Jerrychiang said:

I actually thought the animation dipped a little; those flashes which stood in for actual animation and dedicated "cells" during the fight for example.

But the direction and the music was top notch, to the point that you really didn't mind. Kirito didn't have to say anything for the episode to convey what he was feeling and thinking. I especially liked the little details they slipped in.

The cut towards Heathcliff without much of an introduction can also be forgiven...again because the background music was well done, giving the sense of "majesty" that came with Heathcliff's presence.

there were some bad quality parts and still images but like you said, you just don't care when epic is still epic

i also think it was a bit mean to deny heathcliff's ultimate introduction, it kinda ruined the suspense you got from the LN but again who cares, the next ep will serve as his introduction instead xD
Sep 1, 2012 4:34 PM

Mar 2010
Ah..the next episode can't come soon enough D: do want
Sep 1, 2012 4:36 PM

Mar 2012
This episode was great. Again, there's less of that excessive overflow of emotions we see in the vol. 1 of LN. Seems like the anime is determined to keep things under an even tone. I have to say though, the pacing really jumped down a cliff at the 20 minute mark. The dual sword wielding being extremely satisfying aside, the last 2 minutes of this episode must be creating all kinds of confusion for some people. Who the heck is Heathcliff? Why isn't he ever introduced? I wish they at least mentioned his name at some point, because here comes a random guy who decides to have a duel with Kirito, all in a typical testosterone clash fashion.

At least add a line where Heathcliff appears to be eager to knock down the second man in the entire SAO to hold a unique skill. Jeez.

The main question of the day for the episode goes to: How long exactly was Asuna holding Kirito? You'd think at some point either of them would feel kind of awkward about it...
Sep 1, 2012 4:37 PM

Feb 2012
Kvakond said:

I was wondering about that too!

Jun 2011
man if there was a game like this irl i would so play it. Its like real life on steroids with swords and fantasy so much more fun than real life XD all you do irl is work get money and have a family boring ass shit.

Aug 2012
kamikaze_1996 said:
Jerrychiang said:

there were some bad quality parts and still images but like you said, you just don't care when epic is still epic

i also think it was a bit mean to deny heathcliff's ultimate introduction, it kinda ruined the suspense you got from the LN but again who cares, the next ep will serve as his introduction instead xD

The moment we have all been waiting for will soon arrive:

Sep 1, 2012 4:42 PM

Aug 2012
abaanda said:
man if there was a game like this irl i would so play it. Its like real life on steroids with swords and fantasy so much more fun than real life XD all you do irl is work get money and have a family boring ass shit.

I've actually posted something to this effect on [Obstinate]'s Sword Art thread on MyAnimeList.

His thread is called: "Virtual Reality headset on the way?? "

The answer is: "It's been here for years."
Sep 1, 2012 4:43 PM

Jul 2011
Looterz said:
Kvakond said:

don't bother asking, its not even we LN readers know what it specifically dropped, and for some strange reason they hid the reward from our sight in the anime......suspicious <_<
Sep 1, 2012 4:44 PM

Dec 2011
This ep was amazing. Kirito's dual wielding ability left me pretty speechless at the end, and I love how the relationship between Kirito and Asuna is developing.
Sep 1, 2012 4:45 PM

Aug 2008
Dual Blades were awesome although It didn't feel the all that amazing to me because I had already been amazed when I read it in the LN'

Good ol' Klein

Oh yeah Heathcliff in action next week!

Sep 1, 2012 4:46 PM

Jul 2011
Jerrychiang said:

The moment we have all been waiting for will soon arrive:

oh hell yeaa, im totally looking forward to that xDDD
Sep 1, 2012 4:48 PM

Jul 2010
the fight in the LN gave me more shiver, but I really liked it in the anime.
cannot wait to see the duel between Kirito and the leader of KoB, Heathcliff
Sep 1, 2012 4:49 PM

Aug 2012
kamikaze_1996 said:
Looterz said:
Kvakond said:

don't bother asking, its not even we LN readers know what it specifically dropped, and for some strange reason they hid the reward from our sight in the anime......suspicious <_<

That's because the answer would have blown you away:

Sep 1, 2012 4:53 PM

Jul 2007
Never have/will read the LN because I save my reading time for books that aren't being adapted like Atlas Shrugged, the Ender series, etc. , but I have to say that I have loved every episode of this series so far. Dual wielding like a boss!

You guys really seem to nitpick on the details. Just relax and enjoy brah. haha

Also, why does everybody expect some long ass fight? I feel like it was the perfect length for what they needed to show. I still really want to know what the drop was. Had to be epic. hahaha

Sep 2011
Asuna got even better at cooking, now she can even make fucking soy sauce. Wow.
Kirito punched Kleins. What a dick. The story should be centered around Kleins with his BFF the token black guy and his ragtag group rounin as they try to get to the hundreth floor while also struggling with trying to get a girlfriend in this messed up world. That would be much more interesting than watching this Gary-Stu going around Aincrad killing monsters with his GM-given powers and gathering an mmo-sized harem with his boring e-girlfriend who's tagging along doing pretty much nothing.
Next episode he'll fight this Heathcliff guy. Gee I wonder how that will turn out.
God this series sucks
Come visit my town // I apologize in advance for my second-rate English

Join my fan club // Improve the transport network

Jun 2008
I thought Asuna had fallen asleep.

Kirito is such a Gary Stu. Like holy crap.
Sep 1, 2012 4:55 PM

Jul 2011
Jerrychiang said:
kamikaze_1996 said:
Looterz said:
Kvakond said:

That's because the answer would have blown you away:

LMFAO!! xD he totally deserves it
Sep 1, 2012 4:55 PM
Jun 2009
OH GOD FOR REAL?!
SERIOUSLY?
you'll make a duel over a girl who's completely capable of choosing whether she wants to be in your guild or not?! that's the greatest amount of sexism I've seen since... whatever.
come on, Asuna, don't be stereotypical anime heroin and do something!
Sep 1, 2012 4:59 PM

Mar 2012
Regicide said:
yeah no if this was badass i'm not looking forward to the next fight scenes
average fight scene honestly nothing really grabbed me-i don't really understand how someone can get angry and go toe to toe with a boss->if you're angry wouldn't you decrease performance

that being said duelling whoooo next ep gonna be good

Being angry makes you less rational, but it doesn't always mean your performance decreases. Do you punch harder when you're in your regular mood or when you're mad as hell at someone? In a situation where planning isn't going to come into play (they never had a chance to study the boss beforehand), Kirito taking it head on and going all-out on offense wasn't the worst option since they didn't have a viable tank around either.

draker said:
Meh, he keeps pulling these skills out of his ass.

Tell that to those people who keep asking why Kirito asked Lizbeth to forge a sword when he already has one. It was foreshadowed 2 episodes before and although it can still seem rushed, it didn't come out of nowhere.

Kerozinn said:
another flaw in SAO. only he can use dual blades.

yeh sure..

this is not getting better at all..average anime still. and fancy animations cant hide it.

There's a reason that Kirito is only the second person to hold a unique skill. If you care enough, I have a spoiler tag below.

Pages (16) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What even is SAO anymore? ( 1 2 )

Jason-Skyrunner - Apr 27

51 by Naveen6662246 »»
9 hours ago

» We need a reboot

Superninjaboy2 - Mar 15

32 by Jason-Skyrunner »»
Yesterday, 5:20 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bippo - Dec 8, 2012

480 by amf85 »»
Apr 27, 5:20 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 10, 2012

680 by amf85 »»
Apr 27, 2:32 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 22, 2012

734 by amf85 »»
Apr 26, 7:25 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.