Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Aug 25, 2012 1:24 PM

Oct 2011
The breast grope part was in the LN... don't blame the animators. Really... the fan service shouldn't be enough to tick anyone off, people complaining really have nothing better to do, or secretly enjoy it. Steins;gate had a decent amount of fan service, and that was a good anime regardless, fairy tail as well (though not as great an anime). Good episode, can't wait for the next.
Aug 25, 2012 1:30 PM

Mar 2011
Very good ep , poor Egile and that cliffhanger.Can't wait for the next week.
Aug 25, 2012 1:31 PM

Jul 2012
Dungeon music was awesome.... damn,i can't wait for the next episode....
Aug 25, 2012 1:35 PM

Aug 2011
If cooking was that easy in real life too...

I liked that ep 5/5
Aug 25, 2012 1:36 PM

Apr 2010
As a reader of the light novel it was really well done. The timing and pacing was really good, it didn't feel rushed. Sure we missed some of the thoughts that Kirito had in the light novel but the animated fight scenes, sound effects and pretty good voice acting made up for that this time.

In regards to the breast grab at the portal for floor 74 as other people have mentioned it was in the light novel but yeah it could have been portrayed in a different manner than it was.

I was expecting worse actually but this episode wasn't rushed. If the other episodes have this type of pacing I can see the rest of the episodes turning out well as well.

5/5
Aug 25, 2012 1:36 PM

Dec 2011
I didn't like that breast groping part, but it was in LN so I won't complain.
Kirito's fight with Asuna's bodyguard (I already forgot his name lol) was boring. I wanted more action.
But I really liked music in this episode. And finally, main plot started! Can't wait for next episode.
And somehow, story seems to be progressing very fast. o.o
OG-3Aug 25, 2012 1:40 PM
Aug 25, 2012 1:40 PM

Apr 2010
Dafuq they're doing with this adaptation seriously.
Aug 25, 2012 1:41 PM

Jan 2009
Holy-- Congrats belatkuro, you beat 'em to it this time ヾ(@⌒ー⌒@)ノ
Well, not much to say here, really. Except for the fact that this episode had some pretty half-assed fighting scenes, I don't see much reason to complain. This show is, overall, damn enjoyable. I might be biased though.
Also, judging by the first boss fight in ep2, I guess at least the fight against The Gleam Eyes will be "properly" animated, as it's more important than Asuna and Kirito running around the dungeon fighting random trash mobs.
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Aug 25, 2012 1:42 PM

Aug 2012
DaisyDuck3008 said:
If cooking was that easy in real life too...

I liked that ep 5/5

They ate fast too; we never got to see their orgasmic reactions to the taste ^_-

I also like the pacing, little tidbits thrown here and there like the the cooking function and political headwinds with the KoB and LC guilds.

I think they could have made the cliffhanger a little better though, at least a little more "frightening". They didn't have to show the entire boss, just a cacophany of sounds in the dark and then a burst of red-eye ^_-
Aug 25, 2012 1:45 PM

Dec 2011
Oh. They caught a class S ingredient.
Nice to see them have dinner together.

That awesome feeling when you win a duel! I can't help but feel nostalgia.
That is how you show who's boss.

I think they will beat the boss with just the two of them.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 25, 2012 1:46 PM

Aug 2012
Oosran said:
Holy-- Congrats belatkuro, you beat 'em to it this time ヾ(@⌒ー⌒@)ノ
Well, not much to say here, really. Except for the fact that this episode had some pretty half-assed fighting scenes, I don't see much reason to complain. This show is, overall, damn enjoyable. I might be biased though.
Also, judging by the first boss fight in ep2, I guess at least the fight against The Gleam Eyes will be "properly" animated, as it's more important than Asuna and Kirito running around the dungeon fighting random trash mobs.

I actually thought the scenes were well executed.

I wasn't expecting Macross Frontier-like intricacy with all the changing camera angles. The idea was to convey that the monsters were pretty smart.

Aug 25, 2012 1:50 PM

Oct 2010
sbg711 said:
CrimsonLight said:
Unfucking needed fan service.

It's in the novel you twit
They could have still changed it around. Been done loads of times in animes.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Aug 25, 2012 1:50 PM

Aug 2010
Kirito was groping for so long because he didn't know what a boob felt like, that's all.

Anyway, I found it interesting that when Kirito mentioned how people in SAO seem to be content with living there that he didn't mention how their bodies are in the real world and probably being tended to by their friends and families or hospitals (I thought someone mentioned that in an earlier episode here on MAL).
prismheartAug 25, 2012 2:09 PM
Aug 25, 2012 1:51 PM

Jul 2009
Yumekichi11 said:
sbg711 said:
CrimsonLight said:
Unfucking needed fan service.

It's in the novel you twit
They could have still changed it around. Been done loads of times in animes.

I don't think boobophobia is a popular enough disease to influence an Anime script.
Aug 25, 2012 1:54 PM

Jan 2008
prismheart said:
Kirito was groping for so long because he didn't know what a boob felt like, that's all.

I'll bet his virginity he doesn't either.
Aug 25, 2012 1:55 PM

Jul 2012
Azuna in the casual wear is just so cute. I love the fact that they got together and fight again, even at the end ... I don't know what will happen!

Asuna's cooking skill is so awesome though. The 'proposal' conversation at the dinner table was unexpected, and made me lol'ed. The 'boobs touching' spelled out as a fan service to me, which I'm really not a fan of in this case ...

(I mean, once would be fine, like, accidental touching. Squeezing it so many times like that is just too much.)
sikachuuuAug 25, 2012 2:00 PM

Toshino Kyoko!!!
Aug 25, 2012 1:57 PM

Aug 2012
Burn2sai said:
I think alot of people have been waiting for a fight scene like the one in episode 2. We'll probably only see battles of that caliber in boss battles with a few outside of them.

Aug 25, 2012 1:58 PM

Jun 2012
Duel was cool, next episode might actually show us a boss fight, we haven't seen that in a long time.
If strength is justice, then is powerlessness a crime?

Aug 25, 2012 2:00 PM
Aug 2012
Wow, good episode.

Although, I feel like they could've build on the setting a bit more before this.

Kirito's input about how bosses can't leave their "areas", it contradicts what Asuna said during episode 5. They should have addressed that...
Idle_ObserverAug 25, 2012 2:08 PM
Aug 25, 2012 2:03 PM

Mar 2011
Asunas guard...
OH MAN i hope he dies in a fire!

Next episode looks like 2 vs boss.
Looking forward to some action.
Aug 25, 2012 2:10 PM

Jul 2012
Yay for relationship development :D

If you really want to fit in, just put Legend of the Galactic Heroes in your top 5 and have it be the only 10-rated anime in your list.
Aug 25, 2012 2:14 PM
Dec 2008
Yumekichi11 said:
BOOM! SWORD BREAK! Quite impressed but still WTF at how come Kirito’s sword is like a Katana slicing through all of the other swords. Makes no sense at all TBH. It’s like making Kirito into Superman Samurai man.

Kirito hit it with the side of the sword which is the sword's weak point. And there's one more thing was not mentioned from the novel is a highly decorated sword has low durability.
Aug 25, 2012 2:17 PM

Jan 2008
Cryst said:
Yumekichi11 said:
BOOM! SWORD BREAK! Quite impressed but still WTF at how come Kirito’s sword is like a Katana slicing through all of the other swords. Makes no sense at all TBH. It’s like making Kirito into Superman Samurai man.

Kirito hit it with the side of the sword which is the sword's weak point. And there's one more thing was not mentioned from the novel is a highly decorated sword has low durability.

Too add, Kirito doesn't use a katana. If you want to see a katana user, wait til next episode or go back a few episodes. Too lazy? Fine. Klein uses it and you can see him using it in Ep 3.
Aug 25, 2012 2:18 PM

Feb 2008
i haven't read the novel or manga so i am just going speculate here.....

after watching her cook like that, doesn't this whole concept seem like an experiment to advance human society rather than some guy who trapped thousands of people in a game for fun? after everyone was sunk into despair, they all now have established themselves into a working society. you have consumers and producers. with arbitrary things like no killing and stealing...doesn't this seem like the ideal society. it has everything including the possibility of death. even more so, the harder you work the better you gain. ultimately, i don't really think people die for real, but i suppose that too will eventually be revealed.
Aug 25, 2012 2:19 PM

Aug 2012
Burn2sai said:

Following along with something isn't necessarily a bad thing if someone else takes charge. You don't every musician in a symphony setting their own tempo without regard to the conductor. That kind of music is hard on the ears.

Good leaders know when to shut up and follow someone else's lead :).
Aug 25, 2012 2:20 PM
Jun 2011
...I never thought I would see the day people would rage their head off about fanservice.
Aug 25, 2012 2:21 PM
Aug 2012
Quick question: Where's the Army?

I sense original content :D
Aug 25, 2012 2:21 PM

Jan 2008
AzylSagara said:
...I never thought I would see the day people were upset about fanservice...

You think that's bad you should see the other discussion threads. Show a little ass and boom. People just start shitting bricks. Throw in a boob grab and everything goes to hell.
Aug 25, 2012 2:23 PM

Mar 2012
Meh~~ I got a feeling next episode is going be to sweet...
Yes. Yes. My avatar is s sheep ._ .
Aug 25, 2012 2:24 PM

Nov 2008
This show is just silly now.
Aug 25, 2012 2:26 PM

Jan 2008
Idle_Observer said:

The anime skips a lot of details plus most of the minor details and scenes where they explain things. I'm sure you'll see them next episode after...

(spoiler obviously in spoiler)
Aug 25, 2012 2:29 PM

Jun 2009
May the romance start blooming!!!!!!

kerobearAug 25, 2012 2:52 PM
LET JUSTICE BE DONE; THOUGH THE HEAVENS MAY FALL
Aug 25, 2012 2:29 PM

Aug 2012
Cryst said:
Yumekichi11 said:

That's an inaccurate part about SAO of course.

In the real world, it's virtually impossible to break a real medieval sword that way, but it's even less likely given the way Kirito hit it. Kirito hit the "flat" of Kuradeel's sword. The flat of the sword is generally supposed to be flexible, a natural parrying surface that gives way to applied force. So a stress fracture is really not going to happen. These aren't Katanas with their famously lousy base metal and legendary propensity to chip and break.

But it is a virtual reality game after all :)
Aug 25, 2012 2:51 PM

Aug 2012
One of the best episodes yet, absolutely loved it! Going to be painful to wait a week for the next one :(
Aug 25, 2012 2:53 PM

Aug 2012
i cant wait for tht one part = w=
(i dont like giving spoilers)
Aug 25, 2012 2:56 PM

Sep 2008
People complaining about fanservice and a sword breaking? I gotta laugh.

There's finally, finally, FINALLY a decent episode after episode #1 and people complain about a funny scene and a badass scene? Really? Oh well, I guess that's people for me.

Anyway, I really liked this episode (I mostly yelled OVERRATED! so far) and I really hope they continue with 1. character development (finally, thank you God!) and 2. story progress (again, finally).

Looking forward to the next episode. Who would've expected that a week ago after that .... romance? Whatever that was.
Aug 25, 2012 3:00 PM
Sep 2010
Episode was pretty good. Don't recall Asuna being all that playful/assertive in the LNs. Was kinda disappointed they didn't show them eating.

Kuradeel looks about 20 years older than he does in the LN lol. Makes him look more evil though haha.
Aug 25, 2012 3:00 PM

Apr 2011
Good episode. Wish there was more action but I like how it's finally starting to progress again.
Aug 25, 2012 3:14 PM
Aug 2012
Paul said:
Idle_Observer said:

The anime skips a lot of details plus most of the minor details and scenes where they explain things. I'm sure you'll see them next episode after...

(spoiler obviously in spoiler)

That's not it. They should have appeared for more obvious reasons...
Aug 25, 2012 3:15 PM

Feb 2012
Gotta love some home cooking ,and simply messing around and reaching the boss room.
Aug 25, 2012 3:16 PM

May 2012
I really enjoyed this week's episode! Seeing Kirito and Asuna's relationship grow and develop is always entertaining to watch. Their skills compliment each other great whenever they're in battle together. I don't know why they haven't teamed up full time yet. All of the show's best fight scenes have come from when they've teamed up together!

It was also really cool seeing Kirito defend Asuna from that stalker dude! I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of him though. And I wonder who the dude in the cloak was in the crowd watching the duel? Anyway, next week I'm hoping Kirito and Asuna get trapped in the room with the Dungeon Boss and have to team up to take it down! That would make for an awesome next episode!
"No matter how much of a genius one is, in front of the Uchiha name, they're just ordinary people." - Sasuke Uchiha

Aug 25, 2012 3:17 PM
Jul 2018
Finally back to volume 1. For the people complaining about fanservice:
Aug 25, 2012 3:20 PM

Oct 2010
quadnia said:
Yumekichi11 said:
quadnia said:
what happened to the sword Kirito made last episode? did he just decide not to use it after making it, bit retarded..
He hid in his inventory. Would be kind of weird to have 2 swords at the same time or for show off without raising attention TBH. Hence he stored them.
Well he did make the sword as an upgrade, and then decide not use it? isn't that really retarded I'm pretty sure in a game, when you get an upgrade you USE it not put it in your invent.
Not unless you want to save it in case your main gets broken or in case you want to add another weapon to your setup. I think it's the first in my statements.
quadnia said:
Even not, he still has dual skill or w/e so he can use 2 swords then.
Yes but due to the incident in the fist episode, he would prefer not to raise awareness over the BEATER thing.
quadnia said:
I really doubt he will show off, and its not like he carries 2 sword on him at once....
No but people might think so and hence it does raise attention. As a solo player YOU DO NOT WANT THIS! Trust me I prefer having less eyes on me than having too many till one decides to do shit to me like steal.
quadnia said:
But i think the main reason he doesn't use it is probably due to "side stories" or something a long those lines
NOPE! BEATER incident. That's why.
edl01 said:
Seriously that 5 seconds of fanservice is getting way to much hate, focus on the other 19 minutes and 55 seconds please.
Also I know 99% of anime nowadays has fanservice but unfortunatly 99% of anime 10 years ago were the same, just getting that out there because I really hate this complaint.
Really? Last I remember I did not have to much erections problems as I do know cause shit is getting more sexual than 10 years ago which really does transfer that even a little can appeal so much in such short time.

That's all. Therefore I DON'T AGREE WITH YOU! Plain and simple. Oh and my list says a lot more than yours TBH.

Aug 25, 2012 3:23 PM

Jan 2012
Nearly 2 years has passed since the death game started? WFT are they time traveling or what? are they going to by in there late 90s when they beat the game?
Aug 25, 2012 3:23 PM

Jan 2012
Nice episode. Mix of action and kiritoxasuna. I wish this show didn't have as much blatant fan service but i can deal with it.
Aug 25, 2012 3:27 PM

Jul 2011
Finally,

no timeskips and no more episodic arcs

i have to say they did well in this episode, it went straight to where they left off in volume 1 after the timeskip where kirito is battling a lizardman, i never really understood how <horizontal square> or <verticle square> looked until after this episode, i had a completely different image of it in my head but its good to finally see it in action instead of reading it

im glad they didn't cut out the cute moment with asuna and kirito, poor rabbit was killed mercilessly by kirito but hey he died for a good cause xD, it was funny seeing asuna teasing kirito while spinning the knife skilfully in her hand, that fight with kuradeel went quicker than i expected, it was essentially a one hit kill with kirito being a badass, i love the way they foreshadowed PoH and laughing coffin

and finally the big boss at the end, The Gleameyes looks soo much better compared to the first boss , i can't wait for the big fight

the only problems i have with this episode is the fan service, it happened in the LN but for some reason it felt more cliche in the anime, originally kirito was pissed at the "idiot" for falling on him and was trying to push him off but it doesn't matter, im just glad they are staying true to the novel and it was interesting to see how kirito accidentally groped her boobs when she was wearing a breast plate and here i thought it was a plothole in the LN itself i feel like such a baka for not thinking about such an obvious thing of asuna's breast plate being slightly loose

also the story seems to have lost its "mysteriousness", because its done in chronological order you you lose that sense of omg wtf happened? why are things like this?, i.e. like when asuna asked kirito why he doesn't join a guild, we already know its because of the black cats incident so it ruins that mystery around kirito's past, also although it wasn't shown clearly, he didn't mean to brag, he said they are a burden but he meant it in a different way than he was saying it or PoH showing up in the dual, though this was only in the anime

well those are just complaints from an LN reader anyway i already understand why they did that anyway, the episode itself was good, lots of fight scenes compared to the past episodes although their short and also there wasn't an entire arc crammed into one episode!

Aug 25, 2012 3:27 PM
Apr 2012
i don't remember, but i think it happened in the LN too.
Aug 25, 2012 3:28 PM

Oct 2010
Paul said:
Cryst said:
Yumekichi11 said:

Too add, Kirito doesn't use a katana. If you want to see a katana user, wait til next episode or go back a few episodes. Too lazy? Fine. Klein uses it and you can see him using it in Ep 3.
No it was just a example using Katana as the weapon cause I heard of the Katana VS Medieval sword thing. Which now apparently is not true so I hear.
edwd2 said:
Finally back to volume 1. For the people complaining about fanservice:
I KNEW IT! Question is why? Bath or changing? Which one to wonder about.

Well one thing for sure, I see censors and I see the goal already if I see them.

Aug 25, 2012 3:29 PM

Jun 2012
What a date, slaying monsters!

Seriously really glad there's more Asuna x Kirito interactions this ep, just fun watching them together.

Other thoughts

Bodyguard needs to lighten the fuck up, what an asshole >.>
2 years in 8 episodes holy crap
Aug 25, 2012 3:35 PM

Apr 2012
Wait...so when the main story starts they are in floor 74 already?
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Pages (11) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What even is SAO anymore? ( 1 2 )

Jason-Skyrunner - Apr 27

53 by soli1239 »»
May 6, 8:27 PM

» Overall do you enjoy watching SAO? What do you like about it? :) ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 15

71 by ItsQuintaly »»
May 5, 12:05 AM

» We need a reboot

Superninjaboy2 - Mar 15

32 by Jason-Skyrunner »»
May 1, 5:20 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bippo - Dec 8, 2012

480 by amf85 »»
Apr 27, 5:20 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 10, 2012

680 by amf85 »»
Apr 27, 2:32 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.