Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
GTO: Great Teacher Onizuka
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Feb 9, 2022 11:05 AM

Jun 2020
Amazing opening episode. This episode reminded me of these days of being a teacher! The cool part was to show the human side of a teacher. Way to go forward!
Mar 7, 2022 5:17 PM
May 2020
What a turbulent turn of events to say for our protagonist lol. Loving it so far
May 29, 2022 10:04 PM

Mar 2021
Man, that was... weird.

There were definitely some moments that were hard to appreciate through a modern lens. The length definitely didn't help, either.

That said, one episode isn't everything.

Sep 18, 2022 6:11 AM
Jun 2020
it was funny :3 XDDDD
Sep 23, 2022 12:48 AM

Jan 2010
I'm not exactly sure what I expected from GTO. From what I heard through the years, I somewhat expected Onizuka to teach his students using hardheaded stubbornness, violence, and lessons he learned from his years as a street punk to help them out of their ruts. I knew about Onizuka's silly faces, his goal of getting a high school wife, and the general idea of his character, but nothing else. To my surprise, he truly was as much of a dirtbag as I heard, but he's also a hell of a guy who, with absurdly unorthodox methods, does in fact care about his students, albeit with none of the right reasons necessarily.

Another thing I heard was the quality of the dub. I didn't realize Steve Blum was Onizuka, and while he's an amazing actor, I don't think he necessarily fits Onizuka entirely. He definitely pulls off the suave hardass who shows up, gets what he wants, then jets. He's also great when Onizuka is giving his heart to heart talks, as well as when he's trying to be threatening. I don't necessarily buy the perverted and goofy Blum version of Onizuka, but I can definitely tell he's having a blast with the role. I suppose it's because I'm so used to his more serious roles that it's hard to adjust. From just the first episode, the other voices range from okay to kind of questionable. I think if I sat down and watched long enough, I could probably stomach the dub, but I'll stick with subs since I'd need subtitles for some of the signage anyways.

As far as first impressions go, it's certainly a fun show. Hearing Onizuka referred to as "golden boy" early on seemed like a cheeky reference to the actual Golden Boy anime, and I was absolutely expecting similar perverted antics by the time Mizuki started charming Onizuka. Though, again, I was surprised by how quickly the anime switched gears. Onizuka literally breaking down the wall separating Mizuki's family seemed a bit much in terms of narrative, but I suppose this show has no respect for subtlety, and for that, I respect its decision to tackle adolescent and education-issues with all the subtlety of a sledgehammer wielded by a skirt-chasing maniac.
Sep 27, 2022 9:59 AM
Oct 2020
Hilarious first episode. Does justice to the manga
We fear
What doesn't exist
Sep 28, 2022 3:56 PM
May 2020
Good first episode, but this show is so crude that I am having a hard time believing this is Japan if not for the outfits.
Oct 13, 2022 3:00 PM

May 2022
Damn he really just KO'd that wall lmao. Great first episode
Nov 17, 2022 5:23 PM
Jan 2021
a poignanat episode.
Dec 8, 2022 10:11 PM
Dec 2022
I feel genuinly bad for Onizuka
Dec 10, 2022 9:54 PM
May 2020
great first episode can't wait for the rest.
Jan 25, 2023 11:59 AM
Feb 2019
the most insane first episode ever
Feb 9, 2023 9:33 PM
Aug 2022
Never seen anything from this anime, I heard some YouTuber recommend it very briefly as one of his favorites so I added it to my list to watch eventually.
48:24 long episode, amazing, was waiting for a special occasion to watch this anime, beyond sur prised. The intro animation is amazing, the whole episode was super satisfying and hilarious. The story is not very unrealistic, it was very good.
trump2077Feb 9, 2023 9:39 PM
Feb 25, 2023 11:17 AM
Dec 2022
muito melhor do que eu esperava, recomendo muito.
Mar 6, 2023 2:12 PM
Feb 2021
Se não fosse pela pedofilia desgraçada que me dá nojo eu faria um comentário bem legal tipo

O cara é insano

Mas o anime parece muito fora da curva então eu acho que vou assistir com gosto essa obra.
Mar 14, 2023 1:34 PM
Sep 2022
أعلن شكيب بنموسى، وزير التربية الوطنية والتعليم الأولي والرياضة يوم الثلاثاء، عن دخول المغرب في سباق استضافة كأس العالم 2030 بملف مشترك مع إسبانيا والبرتغال.

جاء إعلان بنموسى خلال قراءة رسالة الملك محمد السادس خلال حفل جائزة التميز الرياضي المقدمة من الاتحاد الإفريقي لكرة القدم، والذي أكد فيه دخول المغرب بالملف المشترك إلى جانب إسبانيا والبرتغال.

واستضافت إفريقيا نسخة واحدة من كأس العالم كانت عام 2010 على الأراضي الجنوب إفريقية، بينما احتضنت إسبانيا نسخة 1982، ولم يسبق للبرتغال الفوز بملف الاستضافة.

وحصل منتخب المغرب على المركز الرابع في كأس العالم الأخيرة في إنجاز عربي وإفريقي فريد.

Mar 26, 2023 12:58 AM
Nov 2018
The show seems sus.
But good otherwise.
Apr 9, 2023 8:33 PM

Jul 2017
Strange first episode. Tons of stuff happened, but it was also very slow. Some of the comedy was... uh.... something. I have high hopes for the future though.

Oh also, we started watching this on Peacock, but that version had crazy screen-tearing. I started feeling sick. Definitely don't watch on there!
May 31, 2023 4:53 PM
Jul 2020
great anime, recimend
Jun 24, 2023 7:32 PM
Apr 2023
One of the anime of all time!
Jul 13, 2023 8:50 PM

Nov 2017
I forgot how good this story is, I need to finish the manga. Wish I could track down the physical volumes those were nice. All the tiny writing was such a bonus!

Deluxe first ep, I thought there was no way I could get pulled into this old animation again, but here I am. 
Oct 21, 2023 10:55 PM
Jul 2017
this did not age well at all and the writing is trash lol
Dec 1, 2023 3:30 AM
Aug 2023
W man w story i like the long hair guy
Jan 3, 5:10 AM
Jan 2024
An incel bully goes back to school to get pussy but he ends up teaching life lesson to incel kids
Jan 17, 6:48 AM

Jun 2021
Oh, well, it's time to return to the GREAT!(est) teacher. What is this? Fourth or fifth rewatch? Whatever, i wanted / needed one more to comment every single episode for Myanimelist.
That first tv trailer from the very first days of 2003 aired on the italian version of MTV has been very convincing, the 7th of january arrived and i soon turned out to be immediately hooked, despite starting with a pilot long twice the size of a normal episode. i still laugh thinking about the opening disclaimer "the main characters of this show do extremely stupid things such as smoking, riding bikes without helmets, beating up each other. Don't imitate them: they don't exist for real, but you do." Because, you know, as if at 17 years old back then i wasn't already aware of those details, but still, i can laugh about it and feel relief that such a series is still available on Amazon Prime Video in 2024. It is refreshing to see the first posts of this thread mostly sharing the same enthusiasm i still have for this show and couldn't care less about modern oversensitivity. Onizuka is just a GREAT! (sorry, it's force of habit to write it in uppercase since 20+ years and counting) main charismatic character even now that i'm 15+ years older than him and even if (dyed blond hair aside) i couldn't be any more different than him. Also, perfect, PERFECT casting for him in italian dub, obviously full of all-star voice actors from this country that i began to discover and adore exactly starting from here. Oook, long introduction is long already.

Socrates instead of Plato mix-up is still amusing, even if it's unbelievable how such a guy could actually be aware of such information. And obviously, those same thugs used Mizuki to blackmail him. It's still funny how one of those three looks like Egon from Ghostbusters, even if character-wise couldn't be any more different. Oh, well, payback is arriving and it's such a joy to watch. NO MERCY!

"BuT... bUt YoU aRe A tEaChEr!!!! YoU sHoUlDn'T..." "DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT. "TEACHER" ONLY WHEN IT'S CONVENIENT FOR YOU?" ...Yeah.

Fired? No, no... his students have turned on a new leaf. But... watching that sushi tossed away was awful, it's understandable by his following description how much of a trauma it was for him.

LOL, the students are now crying for Onizuka parting ways after the stage. And Mizuki actually thanked him for everything he did at his place, even if not everything was solved. It was a bittersweet and somehow realistic resolution, but at least the girl is a little more optimistic now about the future. And yeah, it's still a little too much a suspension of disbelief how he broke, entered and made a hole into the wall with no legal consequences, not gonna lie, but it was still satisfying to watch and the debut of my favorite piece of music from the OST (Teacher Forever) managed to make it epic. Now the real fun begins.

OP and ED are timeless, they complement each other perfectly exactly because of how they sound so different, even in the early 2000's i knew already that i would have never, ever skipped them for future rewatching, and that's exactly what happened. Never cared about riding motorbikes, yet Driver's High makes me want to do it. i think i actually did a bath into a tub with shoes on in his honor, i still laugh hard for "LOVE AND PIECE" graffiti typo, and even to this day every time he paints a target on his belly and shoots it at a mirror, i imitate him (well, just the fake shooting obviously).
_untitledJan 17, 2:13 PM
Apr 15, 7:53 AM
Oct 2020
nasty, corny, unfunny. idk how people give such a high rating.
Apr 24, 7:14 PM

Mar 2016
This is underrated and best anime. I’ve watched so far. I’m currently watching episode 11 right now.

Y’all should watch this!
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Great Teacher Onizuka Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 )

yakyuu-addict - Oct 24, 2008

88 by Niveen_Sleem »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Great Teacher Onizuka Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 )

yakyuu-addict - Oct 23, 2008

85 by Niveen_Sleem »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Great Teacher Onizuka Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 )

yakyuu-addict - Oct 23, 2008

86 by Niveen_Sleem »»
Apr 30, 11:37 AM

Poll: » Great Teacher Onizuka Episode 43 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

notestinet - Aug 25, 2008

302 by CoreFinder »»
Apr 27, 12:58 PM

Poll: » Great Teacher Onizuka Episode 33 Discussion ( 1 2 )

yakyuu-addict - Oct 28, 2008

96 by CoreFinder »»
Apr 25, 1:20 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.