Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Jul 12, 2012 3:18 AM

Jun 2009
Don't really have a problem with how the heart scene was handled. It got the point across "Oh, shit! Killua pulled the guy mother fucking heart out! What a badass!" well enough. I actually kind of liked how he waited for it to stop beating. Didn't really see the point in crushing the heart in the first place.

I'm impressed by how Madhouse has handled these last few episodes. They are definitely in their element in mind game type of situations, and the Hisoka fight last episode proves they can do action as well. I think this series is in great hands.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 31, 2012 7:25 AM

Dec 2008
This anime is awesomeness. XD
^_~
Aug 5, 2012 5:31 PM

Mar 2007
insan3soldiern said:
Don't really have a problem with how the heart scene was handled. It got the point across "Oh, shit! Killua pulled the guy mother fucking heart out! What a badass!" well enough. I actually kind of liked how he waited for it to stop beating. Didn't really see the point in crushing the heart in the first place.

*lol* So true. :)
Aug 6, 2012 4:36 PM

Aug 2010
Killua just ripped the guys heart out, damn. Badass doesn't even begin to describe this guy.
Aug 8, 2012 3:00 PM
Mar 2012
kilua is such a cold killer with a cute face
Aug 17, 2012 6:08 AM

Apr 2009
I don't think there's objectively speaking really any problem with how that scene was handled. The anime version can't go for the same ruthless and bloody atmosphere as the manga for various reasons, so it's better to just be thankful they even went this far.The sound and special effects are the substitute for gore in this presentation, kind of weird and not as effective to someone who has read the manga, but lack of blood is still not bad in itself if you look at it as kids' entertainment. It's sub-optimal, but it can't be helped. With that said, making Jones crush that blue guy's face was a really weird choice, and toning down the criminal backgrounds is just overdoing kid-friendliness.
VictimOfFateAug 17, 2012 6:14 AM
Oct 27, 2012 7:27 AM

Dec 2009
suterujesu said:
dat satoko laugh

It was the Mimete laugh before Satoko ;) Mika Kanai's laughs seems to always sound the same.
Jan 6, 2013 12:33 PM
Jul 2012
Leoreo is the is the fucking man i dont give a shit
Feb 22, 2013 7:20 PM

Jan 2012
favorite character: kilua
favorite supporting character: heart
favorite line: "oh, that wasn't even a technique. i just ripped it out."

i also still like that gay ninja and wish he had more screen time
May 31, 2013 11:20 AM

Dec 2012
I was waiting for this scene. what disappointment. Killua vs Jones was way better in the 1999 version. no soundtrack, the heart in a bag?! wtf?
May 31, 2013 12:27 PM

Feb 2013
Albi-kun said:
I was waiting for this scene. what disappointment. Killua vs Jones was way better in the 1999 version. no soundtrack, the heart in a bag?! wtf?

No offense but the execution of that scene in the 99 version was shit imho. It felt too fast and I couldn't feel any tension. It doesn't help that the animation shows its age these days either. It may have showed the heart but the sound effects of crushing it was awful and it didn't show any blood. Plus the heart wasn't even shown fully either with that bright light in the back ground so it looked more like a silhouette when it was crushed.
May 31, 2013 2:47 PM

Apr 2013
bewareofhisoka said:
Albi-kun said:

No offense but the execution of that scene in the 99 version was shit imho. It felt too fast and I couldn't feel any tension. It doesn't help that the animation shows its age these days either. It may have showed the heart but the sound effects of crushing it was awful and it didn't show any blood. Plus the heart wasn't even shown fully either with that bright light in the back ground so it looked more like a silhouette when it was crushed.

This. The new one was definately better. How Killua puts the heart back in Johness' hand LMFAO priceless... xD
Jun 7, 2013 4:36 PM

Nov 2011
HOLY FUCK.

Killuan ....wow. Just bloody hell. That was ....I'm speechless.
Jul 14, 2013 11:50 AM

Feb 2011
WHEN SHE LAUGHED I IMMEDIATELY KNEW IT WAS THE SAME VOICE ACTRESS AS SATOKO FROM HIGURASHI LOL
Jul 20, 2013 10:17 PM
Jul 2012
Man that battle with Ledro is so stupid that he could of use arm wrestling and than won the match bam bam.
For those who complain the heart stuff look at the rating Pg-13. Sheesh stop complaining that is quite fine and it doesn't even matter just enjoy what it is man.
4.5/5 will round the score this time.
Jul 28, 2013 6:38 PM

Dec 2012
Oh god, I feel bad for that girl for being frisked by Leoreo, he looks like such a lecherous old man XD. The ninja guy is hilarious "I'm first! Huh? NOOOOO!" And damn I don't even think I need to say anything about Killua, bad ass little guy. Also just noticed his VA is also Nakamura from Aku no Hana, that's a bonus. I notice people are complaining about the censorship, but honestly I feel like the censorship is what makes it more graphic and brutal. It makes room for imagination and, depending on how creative you are, can make a scene more powerful than showing the thing uncut.

For example, there's a scene in the movie Scar Face where a man is handcuffed to a bathtub and torn to pieces with a chainsaw. It's not shown, but the combination of blood raining all over the place and his squeamish screams of desperation are what make it more sickening. It turned out to be so disturbing that people started leaving the movie theater because of how sick to their stomachs they were.
Jul 28, 2013 6:54 PM

Feb 2013
Ratohnhaketon said:

For example, there's a scene in the movie Scar Face where a man is handcuffed to a bathtub and torn to pieces with a chainsaw. It's not shown, but the combination of blood raining all over the place and his squeamish screams of desperation are what make it more sickening. It turned out to be so disturbing that people started leaving the movie theater because of how sick to their stomachs they were.

I think actually seeing someone get shredded with a chainsaw would make me squirm more then just implying it
Jul 28, 2013 7:08 PM

Jul 2013
Ratohnhaketon said:
Oh god, I feel bad for that girl for being frisked by Leoreo, he looks like such a lecherous old man XD. The ninja guy is hilarious "I'm first! Huh? NOOOOO!" And damn I don't even think I need to say anything about Killua, bad ass little guy. Also just noticed his VA is also Nakamura from Aku no Hana, that's a bonus. I notice people are complaining about the censorship, but honestly I feel like the censorship is what makes it more graphic and brutal. It makes room for imagination and, depending on how creative you are, can make a scene more powerful than showing the thing uncut.

This "Heart-in-Shirt-Bag" scene was more of an omission than censorship. (Like with what they do quite a bit with the graphic scenes later, not that it's a bad thing.)
Jul 28, 2013 8:06 PM

Jun 2009
gedata said:
Ratohnhaketon said:

I think actually seeing someone get shredded with a chainsaw would make me squirm more then just implying it

Not necessarily. I mean look at pretty much any Alfred Hitchcock film, you don't normally exactly see the violence on screen but the possibilities can often be worse than what actually happens. I believe Stephen King, another master of horror and suspense, said something to this effect.

Imagination can be a powerful thing.
Ston3_FreeN7Jul 28, 2013 10:40 PM
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 28, 2013 10:34 PM

Dec 2012
gedata said:
Ratohnhaketon said:

I suppose it's unfair of me to impose a live action example on an anime (since anime can show the full out gore anyway it wants to, where as live action is limited to realistically protecting the actors), but the point I was going for is that when people see something, it limits their choices to that one image.

For example, if the heart was shown, we'd only know the image of that heart as it was portrayed. However, because it was in the bag, all sorts of images can pop into one's mind. This is when imagination can become more vivid than the real thing (which isn't always the case, but in this scene I felt it was well executed).

Another example is the anime Shingeki no Kyojin. People often say that the anime is censored in comparison to the manga. However, when I look at scenes from the manga that have already been animated, I feel that the power of imagination combined with the screams of terror and helplessness created a far more powerful scene than black and white stills of the uncut gore.
Jul 29, 2013 3:01 AM

May 2013
Ratohnhaketon said:

I suppose it's unfair of me to impose a live action example on an anime (since anime can show the full out gore anyway it wants to, where as live action is limited to realistically protecting the actors), but the point I was going for is that when people see something, it limits their choices to that one image.

For example, if the heart was shown, we'd only know the image of that heart as it was portrayed. However, because it was in the bag, all sorts of images can pop into one's mind. This is when imagination can become more vivid than the real thing (which isn't always the case, but in this scene I felt it was well executed).

Another example is the anime Shingeki no Kyojin. People often say that the anime is censored in comparison to the manga. However, when I look at scenes from the manga that have already been animated, I feel that the power of imagination combined with the screams of terror and helplessness created a far more powerful scene than black and white stills of the uncut gore.
Yes,I think that the heart scene was more disturbing in the 2011 version. However,from episode 30 on (or so,I don't remember exactly when the Yorknew City arc start) there's much less censorship. There's a fight in the Yorknew City arc that is bloodier than the manga,obviously I won't spoil it. And in the currently airing arc,I didn't noticed any difference from the manga...Madhouse is doing a great job so far,and I think that HxH is the best shonen ever made,along with Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
Aug 19, 2013 3:00 PM

Jan 2012
looks like that wow whenever a hot chick appears has become a thing since fairy tail
Dec 31, 2013 3:59 AM

Jul 2013
the bet that if Leorio is still in his teens or not was actually a good bet.

I knew it! that Lelute's voice sounds so damn familiar.. turned out she has the same VA as Satoko from Higurashi..

well Leorio's loss pissed the hell out of me... hes like the most idiot from the group however that was expected.. 2 -1... theres no way they will let Gon's team win just like that.. it has to be 2 - 2 so the arcs would be longer and the last battle would be more thrilling. this is shounen alright.

that death was.... dayum
Mar 28, 2014 7:46 PM

Aug 2013
Killua creeped me out here... also how the fuck does he do that with his nails?
Apr 16, 2014 8:05 PM
Aug 2013
Gotta say when he pulled out his heart, it was pretty awesome.
Apr 17, 2014 6:31 PM

Jan 2011
half an ep wasted on rock paper scissor
May 4, 2014 10:52 PM

Jul 2007
Leoro should of went with that bet lol, she would of lost.

So they omitted the part where they explained that that serial murderer took out the heart of an 11 year child. But thats obviously expected.

Its obvious they had to censor that last scene. But i am glad they atleast shown the part where he had the guys heart. Anyways brutally awesome, Killua just totally kicked ass. The guy said he didn't want a test right?

Well killua gave him his wish.

Just as i though, this discussion is absolutely fool of people debating and complaining bout the censorship of this scene from the manga. Guess thats understandable, I do also was wondering rather the object in the bag was an actual heart, it looked like a bunch of apples or something. Kind of screwed up the image there just a bit.
ArtimesGamerMay 5, 2014 12:09 AM

May 13, 2014 8:23 PM

Apr 2014
Woah woah woah nope nope, nope

Having one's heart slowly stop beating and feeling oneself grow cold until death comes is a reoccuring nightmare of mine. Reoccurring. Nightmare. Thanks for allowing me to experience it in my waking hours, show. To greater effect.

(/)ㅠ///ㅠ(\)
May 14, 2014 5:42 AM

Oct 2013
currycurry said:

Having one's heart slowly stop beating and feeling oneself grow cold until death comes is a reoccuring nightmare of mine. Reoccurring. Nightmare. Thanks for allowing me to experience it in my waking hours, show. To greater effect.

(/)ㅠ///ㅠ()

Someone probably won't like the darker arcs of this. Especially the masterpiece that is the last arc....
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone". Ella Wheeler Wilcox
May 18, 2014 11:08 PM

Dec 2011
Killua's fight is the anti-climactic end to the battle with the prisoners. He didn't crush Johness's heart, like in the 1999 ver. but this is just as unsettling. Johness asked for his heart back, and Killua gave it back (albeit, after he was dead).
May 18, 2014 11:22 PM

Jul 2013
DalPuri said:
Killua's fight is the anti-climactic end to the battle with the prisoners. He didn't crush Johness's heart, like in the 1999 ver. but this is just as unsettling. Johness asked for his heart back, and Killua gave it back (albeit, after he was dead).
It's more of a poetic type of justice this way, since Johness gutted/disembodied many people with his bare hands.

So, here's his own disorgan-ized heart - brought to his hand.
GalekCMay 19, 2014 3:05 AM
May 18, 2014 11:44 PM

Jun 2009
Ha, Galek you so funny!

- Geralt of Rivia
Jun 18, 2014 1:04 PM

Nov 2011
soundscape said:
currycurry said:

(/)ㅠ///ㅠ()

Someone probably won't like the darker arcs of this. Especially the masterpiece that is the last arc....

Yikes. It gets that dark? .-.

Erm, anyway, Killua is pretty creepy. I'm glad that wasn't any worse than it was. I prefer not to see gore all over the place, thank you very much.

That room seems suspiciously nice. Hm.
Jun 18, 2014 2:26 PM

Oct 2013
TripleSRank said:
soundscape said:

Yikes. It gets that dark? .-.

Erm, anyway, Killua is pretty creepy. I'm glad that wasn't any worse than it was. I prefer not to see gore all over the place, thank you very much.

That room seems suspiciously nice. Hm.

Yea it will get really dark. But considering that currycurry has seen at least one of the darker arcs of this show and still has it a 9 in his list I'd say give it a try and see for yourself.
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone". Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Jun 18, 2014 3:14 PM

Jun 2009
Besides, it's not like the series does violence for the hell of it. It always has a reason. For example, what Killua did this episode is important for his characterization.

- Geralt of Rivia
Jun 25, 2014 2:21 AM

Jan 2013
Always manages to have some surprises.
Didn't think it would end that fast.
Also, they have a surprisingly nice room to spend 50 hours in.
No bathroom though
Jul 9, 2014 3:42 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Hm the ones who have already finished arrived alone. I wonder what that means for the group? They'll get separated, or something else?

And daaaaamn. That Killua scene. I was eating some chicken dumplings while watching this, and wow, that really ruined my appetite. But some of the explanations on the first page regarding why we don't see the heart was pretty hilarious.
Jul 9, 2014 4:57 PM

Jul 2013
My friend, who got me into this series, told me he disliked that omitted heart-crushing, while I just shrugged it off.
I later came to appreciate this - if ever so slightly.

Even if it was included; with the way things already function throughout this adaptation, I get the feeling that it might've been more out-of-place.

Anyway, I can still sense the oddity in Gon being nonchalant toward what just occurred, without witnessing his reaction.
(Oh, and you can plainly see actual blood, hence Killua's explanation near the end. That's a thing the '99 version shied away from showing so blatantly.)

The whole old-anime scene still remains to be a classic, though.
Jul 9, 2014 8:59 PM

Mar 2014
I never noticed this but is that "bag" holding Jones' heart actually part of his shirt or?
Jul 9, 2014 9:01 PM

Jun 2009
jreginald said:
I never noticed this but is that "bag" holding Jones' heart actually part of his shirt or?

I've always assumed it was. If so, that's actually kind of amusing imo.

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 9, 2014 9:08 PM

Mar 2014
insan3Spectre said:
jreginald said:

Okay, yeah. That's what I thought too. Some people legitimately wonder where the bag came from ._.

As for 2011 vs. 1999 in this particular scene, I'd still choose 2011 because of Killua putting it back in his hands. It was pretty cruel.
Jul 9, 2014 9:14 PM

Jun 2009
jreginald said:
insan3Spectre said:

Okay, yeah. That's what I thought too. Some people legitimately wonder where the bag came from ._.

As for 2011 vs. 1999 in this particular scene, I'd still choose 2011 because of Killua putting it back in his hands. It was pretty cruel.

Cruel, yeah. I admit found it kind of funny when I saw it though. Killua, you magnificent bastard.

Also, I guess I'll ask this here, because I don't remember. Did Gon react any differently to this in the '99 version? Like negatively in anyway? I kind of feel like he did, but I may be completely off the mark there.

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 9, 2014 9:25 PM

Mar 2014
insan3Spectre said:
jreginald said:

Cruel, yeah. I admit found it kind of funny when I saw it though. Killua, you magnificent bastard.

Also, I guess I'll ask this here, because I don't remember. Did Gon react any differently to this in the '99 version? Like negatively in anyway? I kind of feel like he did, but I may be completely off the mark there.

No, Gon had no negative reaction. In both versions he believed Killua would slaughter the guy, which is pretty messed up.
Jul 9, 2014 9:27 PM

Jun 2009
Okay, I have no idea why I thought he had a different reaction to that. And, yeah, it's messed up....but pretty interesting all the same.

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 25, 2014 1:02 AM

Jul 2012
killua is a badass
Sep 27, 2014 5:13 PM

Nov 2012
The censorship detracted from the scene but only very slightly, 5 seconds of content that differed can't ruin the whole episode. I would give this 4/5
Sep 28, 2014 1:52 PM

Jun 2014
lol gotta spend 2 days in that box. Good thing theres a tv.
Nov 6, 2014 3:28 PM

Nov 2014
Killua is a boss. My new favorite character so far, hopefully he doesn't have to go against any of his own team.
Nov 15, 2014 9:46 AM

Oct 2011
Loved this episode! Kind of sad to see the 5 vs 5 trial over, it's been my favourite part so far. Hopefully they can get out of the tower in time.
Dec 17, 2014 6:59 PM

Aug 2013
Ahhhh, I get it! That's how they did 148 episodes! 100 of them are happening during that 50 hours wait!

No, seriously, it was a pretty neat episode, but everything happened almost the way I thought it would. It was really obvious that the serial killer wouldn't last a second. Unlike the other dude, he wasn't just showing off, but he looked too much like ''da serial killer'' that he just could not win. A serial killer mostly attack people that can't really oppose any resistance, so against specialists, they really suck.

I take back what I said about Leorio in my last post, he really is an idiot xD
Goddamnit, he had to fall into such easy traps...
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

fishergirl16 - Nov 26, 2011

122 by Nerdason »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kefkiroth - Nov 19, 2011

125 by Nerdason »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kamuki - Nov 12, 2011

149 by Nerdason »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Keiz - Oct 29, 2011

173 by crumb_fr »»
Yesterday, 7:50 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kefkiroth - Nov 5, 2011

185 by Nerdason »»
Yesterday, 5:24 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.