Forum Settings
Forums

Animator Suzuki Shunji Discloses Sales Failure of Nichijou

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Oct 1, 2011 4:39 PM

Sep 2011
People on this thread doesn't seen to get it -_-

Listen up americans. Why did Nichijou not sell well.
1. Kyoto animation practically promised moe titles with their current reputation. So naturally, Otakus assumed it was amoe title and overhyped it(likely through 2chan).
2. It's contents included slice of life. NO MOE.
as you can see, people were disappointed when this show was not a moe title. It would be far-fetched to think it would still sell that much......
3. Even if there was no moe, Otakus loved characters that are memorable, so it should've sold lots. Right? Wrong. None of the characters were very impressionate, so not even that could help them.....
4. But what about the plot? None? Yeah.....
5. Hey the comedy was good right!?
Surly it was amusing. But with the amount if audience turned off. I'll be hard-pressed to find a person to not watch sazae-San, doraemon, or crayon shin-chan...... In other words, TGE humor was forced and outclassed.

7. Great expectations
Low impression
Low audience
Low sales

It's like astrolotte no omocha again.....
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Oct 1, 2011 4:41 PM

Sep 2011
Kalamity-kun said:
I kinda of saw this coming from far back. The jokes seemed to lose their freshness, and it's budget seemed to be enormously high. Of course it would be difficult to break even in selling a show when half a fortune was invested into it.

You sir, speak the truth. I love your avatar too btw!
Oct 1, 2011 4:50 PM

Jul 2008
I didn't care for Nichijou. So I can understand why it wouldn't sell.

I wonder what KyoAni has up their sleeves for the future though. Other than the K-ON! movie that is.
Oct 1, 2011 4:54 PM

Oct 2010
This show was my favorite this year by far! This is not fair. R-15... LOL REALLY?? That show fails. Nichijou wins.

Will buy asap.

Tumblr |  Anime List | 🌷🌼

Oct 1, 2011 5:20 PM

Nov 2007
nichijou was one of the best anime this season

r15 sucked
tenma sucked

I signed my screen and now its all smeary "When you meet your God tell him to leave me alone."

check out my bloghttp://corpse69.wordpress.com/

fix MAL already
Oct 1, 2011 5:58 PM
Apr 2009
The whole industry is supported by 1000 fat Japanese nerds who buy the million yen blu rays. Nichijou wasn't moe enough, the nerds didn't buy it, and KyoAni was disgraced. Having learned to never stray from the ways of moe, there is now officially no chance in hell of KyoAni spending valuable time and resources on animating the rest of Full Metal Panic!
Oct 1, 2011 5:58 PM

Jul 2009
Nichijou was fucking great. The only reason it didn't sell was because it wasn't complete moeshit. I hate blaming moe for problems in the industry but I just cannot this time.
Oct 1, 2011 6:36 PM

Aug 2008
I was planning to watch Nichijou! ( I will someday )
Oct 1, 2011 7:30 PM

Dec 2008
Well, Nichijou was airing as a kid's anime... Kid's anime don't sell as well as adult/teen's.

And it was also competing with Tiger & Bunny and Madoka Magica. :/ Kinda a hard match...
Oct 1, 2011 7:59 PM

Jul 2010
Really? Nichijou was maybe my third favorite anime this year, right behind Steins;Gate and Madoka. It was the most fun I had watching an anime this year, and I love the humor. In my opinion, It's one of KyoAni's best shows. It's a shame it's not selling well because it's aparantly "not moe enough," when before people were dismissing it for being "moe crap"
Oct 1, 2011 9:31 PM

Jan 2008
I just finished Nichijou, and now I'm even more dissapointed >_<
Oct 1, 2011 9:44 PM

Jan 2011
GarLogan78 said:

What?
Oct 1, 2011 10:01 PM

Sep 2011
GarLogan78 said:

I wonder what KyoAni has up their sleeves for the future though. Other than the K-ON! movie that is.

Haruhi season three would be a good guess. But damn I want to see full metal panic animated!

but either way, the show was lackluster in The character, plot, and comedy(non-forced) department along with the cost.....

Yeah I can see why it didn't sell well besides the post I made earlier.
Oct 1, 2011 10:03 PM

Sep 2011
KiraMustDie said:
Really? Nichijou was maybe my third favorite anime this year, right behind Steins;Gate and Madoka. It was the most fun I had watching an anime this year, and I love the humor. In my opinion, It's one of KyoAni's best shows. It's a shame it's not selling well because it's aparantly "not moe enough," when before people were dismissing it for being "moe crap"

No. It wasn't "good." in the sense of characters and comedy which is what people are looking for here.

Stomped expectations + high price = low sales
Oct 1, 2011 10:57 PM

Aug 2009
This show deserves failure. It was one of the worst comedy show I could ever imagine from any studio. They basically 'poured' money into it, only to fail miserably as expected.

It was THE worst show that Kyoani has ever done. 2ch response was mostly just 'all expected'. Even Japanese thought it was unfunny, even though many part of it was word play and some random shits.
Oct 1, 2011 11:39 PM

Dec 2010
RyanSaotome said:
Nichijou wasn't that bad!

Wasn't that bad? It wasn't even bad at all. In fact, it was probably the most hilarious shit I've seen in anime so far.

I absolutely love the character design and animation as well. All this comes from KyoAni so I'm surprised at such low sales. Gr. I should buy the DVD of the series or something.

Oct 2, 2011 12:34 AM
Mar 2011
BlueCyanide said:
nichijou was one of the best anime this season

r15 sucked
tenma sucked

^^ this, r15 and tenma sucks
"....i am the villain in this story"
Oct 2, 2011 12:42 AM

Nov 2010
Kyoani prays to get another bestseller like Haruhi.
Oct 2, 2011 1:14 AM

Feb 2011
That's bad news. Nichijou always made my sunday a better day.
I don't care much about R-15 and Tenma Usagi though, I didn't like them.
Oct 2, 2011 1:51 AM

Oct 2009
Kyo Ani dd a good job with the animation and quality of Nichijou... and it was funny too... but you all have to admit it wasn't ... Valuable enough... at least if compared to Kyo Ani's works like CLANNAD - Haruhi or Lucky Star...
well the characters were bland... I dunno I still loved it though...
I think it lacked passion... [as if lucky star did] HAHA I guess it just wasn't their season
Oct 2, 2011 2:15 AM

Sep 2010
How is reusing the same forced facial expressions for 26 episodes comedy gold, am I missing something here
Oct 2, 2011 2:31 AM

Nov 2010
I know that Nichijou won't do a hit money-wise, but it sure gets pretty huge popularity and laughs.

Have heard that there are some otaku who buys hundreds of DVDs/BDs of their own moe-anime? Too bad Nichijou won't be able to do that since it has almost zero appeal as a sex-fetish.

But I love Nichijou.
Nichijou also made me realizes that I will be loyal and faithful to KyoAni. Maybe forever.
(Not that I dislike other studios but I already believe that KyoAni has proofed themself that they can make anything they touch into gold. Even though maybe this gold aren't too sell-able)
Oct 2, 2011 3:02 AM

Mar 2008
Why is it that good shows don't sell. Why is people so infatuated with crap like R-15
Oct 2, 2011 4:36 AM

Aug 2009
dchoggia14 said:
See other forums from many countries not just japan and you will see how popular Nichijou is.
I laughed. From what I know, Nichijou never got good reputation even from the start by most of East Asian Otakus. In the voting, it was 'THE MOST DISAPPOINTING ANIMATION OF THE SPRING SEASON". It's just because there are average more Kyoto animation fans who are more active in the internet. Opinions from those who are not actual consumer of animation should never be counted.

Eww.

jmal said:

So, seemingly minor nuances in translation can change meanings pretty sharply. Depending on what nuance he intended, he's either full of shit or absolutely correct.
He is full of shit and absolutely correct at the same time. He is also one who criticised Shinbo 'DIRECTLY', and said that Madoka Magica is evaluated higher than Staff's ability. He came from the same school that Suzuki Shunji went and many people saw that comment as either butthurt, jealousy and just conservative shit. If you read through his tweets, there are just full of shits.
ringoo4Oct 2, 2011 4:51 AM
Oct 2, 2011 5:57 AM

May 2011
Oh, wow. I've yet to watch all of Nichijou, but it seemed so promising. What I've seen was hillarous. It's hard to believe they didn't even make the break-even point. I've heard nothing but positive reviews of Nichijou. Oh, well. I guess loving it to death and buying the merchandise are 2 completely unrelated things...
Oct 2, 2011 7:45 AM

Jul 2009
Nichijou had me laughing and it had me hooked...i think its the peoples problem for not appreciating such nice work...its funny and it reminds me of Azumanga Daioh...I think people cant appreciate its pure Comedy...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 2, 2011 9:06 AM

Jun 2008
Very sad because Nichijou was really good. Lots better then Lucky Star, K-ON, or any other similar show.
Oct 2, 2011 9:18 AM

May 2010
Crap like Itsuka Tenma was sold more?

Sucks. Poor Nichijou, I really loved it. People have no tastes. :(

~ Love knows no boundaries ~ -- Thanks to -Luzifer- for the signature.
Oct 2, 2011 10:42 AM

Aug 2010
-Vid said:

It says that Nichijou, Itsuka Tenma and R-15 didn't even reach the break-even point, that means they are all in the same situation, but we don't know which of 3 sold more... (if you want to do a "Best of the Worst").
Oct 2, 2011 12:07 PM

Apr 2010
-Vid said:

Itsuka Tenma probably doesn't even hit 2k, while Nichijou sold 4k. He just was saying that none of those shows broke even.

Oct 2, 2011 1:59 PM
May 2009
Old news?
Nichijou looked great, but lacked in so so many other aspects. It did get better... around the half way mark, but the first half? No, just.. no.

There were episodes which were mostly just WEIRD, not funny, cute or anything else... pointless weirdness. And it's good it didn't sell well. I don't want to get "pointless weirdness" in anime, just because it sells. Leave that for mindfucks.
Anyway, it's still better than some other shows, which do sell, but can't have everything.

I would only buy it because it looks damn awesome. And I'm assuming most bought it because of that. But if you don't have unlimited money, or are a huge kyo-ani supporter, it's probably better to buy other shows.
Though of course the great looks do cost a lot. So yeah, no surprise. 4k might be barely enough for a show without too much budget, but most likely not for a kyo-ani show.
Kiru_im_UfoOct 2, 2011 2:02 PM
Oct 2, 2011 3:17 PM

May 2010
^Last few posters - thanks. Not sure what the hell I was reading there.

~ Love knows no boundaries ~ -- Thanks to -Luzifer- for the signature.
Oct 2, 2011 4:40 PM
noiz cancelling

Jan 2008
I'm not surprised about any of these. I watch all three, and the only one I found remotely worthwhile was Nichijou. The other two sort of failed. R-15 only just started to be remotely amusing/interesting in episode 10, and ItsuTen is absolutely gorgeous but I . . . don't like the characters or story? I mainly finished simply because I am a completionist by nature.
Oct 2, 2011 7:56 PM

Sep 2011
As someone who currently has Nichijou as AotY, I'm not really surprised. There were a lot of factors: the early negative reception by otakus, the time-slot given for a show of its kind, the competition, and taste in general.

And really, a huge but often overlooked factor are characters. Nichijou, unfortunately, doesn't have the most "appealing" selection of characters. Shows like Infinite Stratos, K-On, Lucky Star, and even Madoka, and S;G sold well because they do.

If it makes other Nichijou fans feel any better, there are other excellent shows that didn't sell too well either. I've read somewhere that they plan to re-air Nichijou on prime time. This'll hopefully boost popularity. And if you look at it at another perspective, Nichijou may be the "sacrificial lamb" needed to end KyoAni's streak of SoL.
Oct 2, 2011 8:22 PM

Oct 2009
I'm sorry, but Nichijou really isn't funny in my opinion. It's just random, with no wit, punchline, zing, or a point that made made comedies like Tentai Opera Milky Holmes and Lucky Star work.

As someone else stated, once the 2nd cour began, I noticed an improvement, but it was honestly too late. Yuno overreacting in some beautifully animated sequence gets tiresome after a while. The Helvetica Standard skits are NEVER funny, just unnecessarily weird. The side characters were actually much more interesting, but barely had any notable screen time... Oh wait, even the main girls themselves fell under the mighty spotlight thief Yuno! She chews up so much scenery, its ridiculous. Nichijou really should have been called "Yuno's Nichijou" because that's how it honestly felt.

It was to a point where I was watching it for the high quality sakuga, I could care care less about mostly anything else. (Nono was cute, and Mio's sister was funny.) I'd buy it just for that.

While its not the worst thing ever as it had its moments, but those moments are way to sparse for me and seemingly for the Japanese as well.

Now the other two... Yeah, shit will sell like shit. R-15 and Dark Rabbit are bad, even as a fanservice anime.
Oct 2, 2011 10:00 PM

Sep 2011
KrazyKobun said:
I'm sorry, but Nichijou really isn't funny in my opinion. It's just random, with no wit, punchline, zing, or a point that made made comedies like Tentai Opera Milky Holmes and Lucky Star work.

As someone else stated, once the 2nd cour began, I noticed an improvement, but it was honestly too late. Yuno overreacting in some beautifully animated sequence gets tiresome after a while. The Helvetica Standard skits are NEVER funny, just unnecessarily weird. The side characters were actually much more interesting, but barely had any notable screen time... Oh wait, even the main girls themselves fell under the mighty spotlight thief Yuno! She chews up so much scenery, its ridiculous. Nichijou really should have been called "Yuno's Nichijou" because that's how it honestly felt.

You mean Yuuko and Nano right? And judging from your choice of comedy anime, I guess I could see why you wouldn't enjoy it.

Come to think of it, Nichijou isn't as LOLSORANDUMB XD as people make it out to be. I'm still not exactly sure how it got that label unless judged only from a few clips. Sure, there are elements of surprise and exaggerations, but that holds true for most comedies.
Oct 3, 2011 12:17 AM

Jan 2008
RyanSaotome said:
Smochi said:
harmann said:
And whoever thought Nichijou wasn't moe, lolwut

THIS. Seriously.
Just look at the professor and tell me what is not moe about that. :| not to mention that 90% of the cast was female and the art style was pretty cute.

"Japanese slang term (ironically, first employed by otaku) used to refer to the fetish for or sexual attraction to anime characters, usually a fictional perfect young girl."

Nobody feels any kind of attraction to the girls in Nichijou, because every single character has the exact same body, and just different clothes and facial features. There are no figurines being sold, no body pillows, and no doujins being made. Nobody cares about these girls because its not a moeblob show, unlike every other recent KyoAni show.

Theres no Mio, Haruhi, Konata, Kyou etc that the otaku love in this show. Thus, it doesn't sell.

Quoted

Moe=/=Moeblobs

An even Kaiji can be Moe but he is not a a moeblob.
Oct 10, 2011 10:48 AM

Jan 2008
Hope this won't stop Bandai for releasing it...
Oct 10, 2011 10:52 AM

Apr 2010
minirop said:
Hope this won't stop Bandai for releasing it...

It won't, they don't care about Japanese sales for releasing it in foreign markets. There are many examples of stuff doing bad in Japan and doing well in the West since we have different standards of whats enjoyable.

Oct 10, 2011 1:18 PM

Aug 2009
Don't dare to blame R-15!! It was one the best ecchi/romance-shows recently ;-)

Nichijou wasn't that awesome, but didn't expect it to sell that bad.
Everybody says it wasn't moe, but imho the art was quite moeish, well, maybe not as worse as K-On! xD

And wasn't the news just about the sales? Who knows how many people watched it while airing?
Oct 10, 2011 1:34 PM

Nov 2008
mrmuk said:

R-15 was disappointing, it could have been an above average series easily but it was screwed over in the later eps. That censoring made it worse as it was unwatchable 70% of the time.

Oct 10, 2011 1:56 PM

Apr 2010
R-15 was enjoyable, and I don't really mind the censors since I can just see the uncensored screen caps later and I remember the scenes.

Oct 16, 2011 12:17 AM

Apr 2011
zeroyuki92 said:

(Not that I dislike other studios but I already believe that KyoAni has proofed themself that they can make anything they touch into gold. Even though maybe this gold aren't too sell-able)

They have Hands of Midas. But it won't be too convenient for the possessor.
Oct 17, 2011 4:20 PM

May 2011
mrmuk said:
Nichijou wasn't that awesome, but didn't expect it to sell that bad.
Everybody says it wasn't moe, but imho the art was quite moeish, well, maybe not as worse as K-On! xD
And wasn't the news just about the sales? Who knows how many people watched it while airing?
This type of anime depends on sales, not ratings, since it is shown late at night, i.e., it is not exactly the ideal time for getting viewers. Other series that air during primetime and regular hours are the ones that depend how many people watch them, like Naruto, One Piece, Bleach, and Fairy Tale. Previous posts have already explained this.
"Giving one's name to someone about to die is meaningless." - Hiko Seijuurou
"There are no miracles in this world; there are only accidents, inevitabilities, and what you are going to do. That is it." - Himura Yuu
"A sword is a weapon. Swordsmanship is learning how to kill. No pretty words you say will change that." - Hiko Seijuurou
Oct 20, 2011 11:33 PM

Aug 2009
otacu said:
Moe=/=Moeblobs

An even Kaiji can be Moe but he is not a a moeblob.
Haha, what a terrible joke.
Oct 25, 2011 11:38 AM
Oct 2009
Sometimes I hate you, Japan.
Dec 31, 2011 10:44 AM

May 2011
God, this is a bad joke.
Dec 31, 2011 11:51 AM
Mar 2011
...Eh?! I don't get it. That's really stupid for just one show. Nichijou was good too. They still have a lot of other good sales though. Nichijou just wasn't as popular as other animes. Everyone wants another KEY anime especially with myself but I liked Nichijou too..I hate how it does affect part of the work when everyone liked it, it seems.
Dec 31, 2011 1:26 PM

Apr 2010
Great thread, I loved it how everyone found completely different explanations for it, depending on taste.

- It didn't sell because it wasn't moeblob!
- It didn't sell because people didn't need more of the same generic moeblobs as before!
- It didn't sell because Japanese Otaku don't have a sense of humor!
- It didn't sell because it didn't have good enough humor!
- It didn't sell because other spring 2011 shows were stronger!
- It didn't sell because it was too expensive!
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» 'Kono Sekai wa Fukanzen Sugiru' Reveals Additional Cast, Theme Songs

Nioxys - 17 minutes ago

0 by Nioxys »»
17 minutes ago

» 'Kikansha no Mahou wa Tokubetsu desu' 2nd Season Announced

Vindstot - Dec 23, 2023

19 by JugNut001 »»
44 minutes ago

» 'Kakuriyo no Yadomeshi' Gets Second Season in Fall 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 30

18 by muhammad14286 »»
9 hours ago

» 'Dragon Ball' Creator Akira Toriyama Dies at 68 ( 1 2 3 4 )

Vindstot - Mar 7

165 by LusenProd »»
10 hours ago

» Manga 'Ikoku Nikki' Receives TV Anime

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

16 by Chouninatte »»
11 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.