Forum Settings
Forums
Fruits Basket Collector's Edition
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 2, 2011 7:27 AM

Feb 2010
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
It's completed. Everything was resolved. And I love the way everything ended.

I feel like crying again
mingling with each other are the flames of red and blue
Feb 16, 2011 8:38 AM

Sep 2010
I love the ending! It's so sweet! I feel like crying too! That was one of the best manga I have ever read. I feel sad that it is over.
Always Smile. Stay Classy.
May 24, 2011 8:28 PM

May 2011
Oh man, I did cry, hahaha. That was a perfect ending, even though I was a total Yuki x Tohru shipper. Everything was resolved beautifully
Jul 23, 2011 1:23 PM

Jul 2010
Why did Kyo have to take her away! :( And I was so happy in the end though. Resolved so perfectly :) Ahh when they were showing past scenes with each character, and then the house pictures, Tohru coming in with food. Aarghh that pulled at my heart-strings. And then Always Together.... Holding Hands. That was just so beautiful it took my breath away. And Natsuki Takaya's last comment made me so sad!! I loved her video game chats, it related to me perfectly. I'll miss Fruits Basket soo much.
Aug 7, 2011 8:02 AM
Aug 2010
I cried from chapter 120 until the end T^T . I really liked the ending. It was just perfect
Aug 16, 2011 1:37 PM

Jan 2009
That was pretty good. Beautiful ending.
Sep 8, 2012 11:48 PM

Aug 2008
I loved the ending ^^

But with who did Kagura ended? I couldn't tell who he was.

Dec 9, 2013 12:33 PM

Mar 2009
Beautiful ending. I am not much into romancy and happy-endings but this was really beautiful, almost cried.
Jan 2, 2014 1:33 PM
Aug 2011
Just reread it and i still cant believe its over. But i love how it showed their future in the very end, thats they're still together and happy after all that time
Jun 1, 2014 7:19 PM

Aug 2013
Such a cute happy ending!
Oct 30, 2014 10:26 AM
Aug 2012
too happy ending for me, anyway I will never agree to main couple, but it's okay)
I was worth reading, so I"m glad I did it)
Nov 4, 2014 10:55 PM

Nov 2011
Well a happy ending. I suppose this will do but some of the final few chapters felt underwhelming. Imo, the relationship development between Rin and Haru were the best parts of this series. Also, it looks like this manga is much more mature than the anime adaptation I've watched quite a long time ago.
Nov 15, 2014 2:45 AM

Jan 2013
And with that heartwarming ending, Furuba has made a place in my top 5. So many unforgettable characters, so many unforgettable relationships, so many moments of happiness and sadness; Furuba really is one-of-a-kind. What initially seemed to be a silly happy-go-lucky shoujo turned out to be one of the best writings I've ever seen.

9/10
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Mar 3, 2015 7:09 PM

Nov 2007
i cried. Love all of it. :) the ending is perfect. :)
i would love for them to stay together in the end, but this is most befitting. 'cause sooner or later they still gonna walk their own path..
still, in their hearts they will always be with each other..

that second to the last scene, the tooru and kyo (baachan and jiichan holding hands) part made me squeal. hoho. <3 Luuuuurvvve. ;))))
Mar 8, 2015 4:06 PM

Mar 2014
AHHH I LOVE FRUITS BASKET SO MUCHHH <3
Jul 31, 2015 3:17 PM

Jan 2012
Great end and satisfying ,never thought i would like these genre of manga.

Feb 24, 2016 8:35 AM
Jul 2015
Disgustingly happy ending which i couldn't be more satisfied with.

I love it.

Great manga.
Apr 27, 2019 9:14 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
As expected...I cried the whole way through. Furuba will always have a special place in my heart because there were a lot of things I learned from it, words that I still remember at times when I feel like life isn't worth it. I love how the characters all experienced growth. I forgot about how well Yuki's character growth was done, he was the most well written character in the series. I didn't care much for him in the beginning, only to be really surprised at his true feelings towards Tohru, how he managed to come in terms with his feelings and move forward. Although most of the 12 zodiac were lonely, I think he really was one of the loneliest, never having really experienced love in his childhood at all. Kyou had Kazuma and had met Kyouko, and even Rin had Haru.

While pretty much every relevant character experienced growth, I also appreciate how characters come in terms with their faults. I think Hiro was the biggest one, as he was very rude...but Kagura as well, she confronted herself with the real reason she approached Kyou when they were younger. Takaya Natsuki really captures people's stubbornness very well. It felt so good when we saw Kyou and Yuki fight where they were finally honest to each other about how they both envied the other. Everyone has something they don't want to admit, but however long it take to get there, there's always a sense of relief after.

Overall, the relationship dynamic between Tohru and the rest of the cast was the best part. I tend to not like goody two shoes, but Tohru just felt so genuine and real. Takaya-sensei's forte is her way of writing inner thoughts. It makes the story so much more intimate. There's a lot more I want to say, but it'd take forever. I just really love this series, even if there are few parts I'm not particularly comfortable with, as well as points that can I see as being controversial. Still, it doesn't take away the fact that the overall story is really touching. Funny moments, heartbreaking moments, heartwarming moments, happy moments...everything led to a positive ending. One that looks towards the future despite acknowledging the loneliness of saying goodbye. That's really it. The main theme. Life has some really bad moments, as well as happy ones, but no matter what, it's a part of you. Goodbye often times is complicated, making you feel many different emotions all at the same time. Seeing happy endings for everyone makes the journey worth it, no matter how many times I re-read the series.
Aug 22, 2019 10:50 PM
Feb 2019
An amazing ending. I loved it.
Nov 8, 2019 1:53 PM

Dec 2011
I’ve fallen in love all over again. And I’ve cried all over again.
My feelings and my memories with Furuba remain the same; I’m grateful I can open this old friend and still welcome its healing touch, even into my adulthood, probably moreso now that I have more experience in life.

I love how fiercely optimistic the story is, without mitigating any of the struggles the characters face. It doesn’t shy away from the very real, unpleasant feelings of loneliness and uncertainty, but at the same time, never forgets to be kind. The stand out character for me will always, always be Tohru. Whenever the story strayed somewhere else and she wasn’t around, I missed her. With her happiness continuously practiced and her flaws exposed as ordinarily human, the experience is more inspiring with her as the story’s guiding light. In particular, the fear of losing her mom, really losing her, by holding another in her heart - that was incredibly honest. Tohru grew up.

That’s not saying Kyouko was completely erased or blooming romance is a sign of maturity. It’s just that it was time to stop looking back. Growing up, it has to start somewhere. “Mother” being a huge theme of the work and getting to see not one, not two, not even three, but a variety of different mothers,… well. The timing coinciding with graduation. All of it. Time stops for no one, and life is about acceptance. I wonder how deeply Natsuki Takaya thought about these things before bringing this to fruition. Love and loss hurts like hell and she was able to capture it so earnestly.

Another thing- a common trope I’m familiar with is the old “moving away and waiting for your return” goodbye. Not going that direction and instead, staying together, always together, its reigning theme… infinitely times a more heart-wrenching choice. Especially since the time when Kyo transformed into his other form, Tohru was the one to initiate the phrase. And here at the end, it’s Kyo. That final page of the two growing old together.. what a gift. That’s not just a happy ending. It’s closure.

The final goodbye being Yuki’s to tell, after everything that happened, and being gracious about it, was the satisfaction I craved.
What really got to me and made me feel that this was THE end:

“Thank you, Tohru.”
Mar 12, 2022 3:37 PM

Apr 2020
Raiding this years ago, I realized that this will always be one of my favorites. I’m so happy Tohru and Kyo got their happy ending along with everyone else.
“You flounder through life, struggling desperately so you won't drown, even though you would float if you'd just relax.”
Jul 25, 2023 12:14 AM

Dec 2012
I adore how quietly uplifting this finale is. Since I've seen the anime, I couldn't resist putting on "Birth of Wishes" in the background to match the final pages. The sendoff for most of the characters is pleasant, but the way Yuki's character arc rounds out is especially touching. He could finally convey his truest & most vulnerable feelings to Tohru. Not during the darkest moments when it would be easier for her to console him, but at a time when he can assure her that he's found his place to belong and show his deepest gratitude for how she gave him that first step forward. I find it especially relatable as I personally don't want to share the story of my deepest scars & hurts with those dear to me until I've reached a point where they don't have any power over me anymore.

The last little timeskip was perhaps the most endearing part of this finale. It would've been nice enough to see Tohru & Kyo grown up with their own family, but Furuba went the extra mile and showed how they managed to live a long life of contentment into old age. One of my favorite details is the little family shrine filled with all of their memories. The beads that have had their bond broken but remain together. The hat that was returned as Kyo & Yuki reconciled. The photos showing the long life Kyo & Tohru have had. And yes, the Zodiac figurines with the handcrafted cat happily joining in the banquet.

10/10 and easily among my favorites. Each time I visit this story, it reminds me of what happiness is and the healing process of moving forward. The banquets continue, but with feelings that continue to change & grow to make each new one even more enriching.
ZekkenshinJul 25, 2023 12:24 AM
Jul 28, 2023 8:23 AM

Oct 2021
Zekkenshin said:
I adore how quietly uplifting this finale is.  Since I've seen the anime, I couldn't resist putting on "Birth of Wishes" in the background to match the final pages.  The sendoff for most of the characters is pleasant, but the way Yuki's character arc rounds out is especially touching.  He could finally convey his truest & most vulnerable feelings to Tohru.  Not during the darkest moments when it would be easier for her to console him, but at a time when he can assure her that he's found his place to belong and show his deepest gratitude for how she gave him that first step forward.  I find it especially relatable as I personally don't want to share the story of my deepest scars & hurts with those dear to me until I've reached a point where they don't have any power over me anymore.

The last little timeskip was perhaps the most endearing part of this finale.  It would've been nice enough to see Tohru & Kyo grown up with their own family, but Furuba went the extra mile and showed how they managed to live a long life of contentment into old age.  One of my favorite details is the little family shrine filled with all of their memories.  The beads that have had their bond broken but remain together.  The hat that was returned as Kyo & Yuki reconciled.  The photos showing the long life Kyo & Tohru have had.  And yes, the Zodiac figurines with the handcrafted cat happily joining in the banquet.

10/10 and easily among my favorites.  Each time I visit this story, it reminds me of what happiness is and the healing process of moving forward.  The banquets continue, but with feelings that continue to change & grow to make each new one even more enriching.
Your comment summed up Chapter 136 beautifully! You put into words what many Furuba fans weren't able to. Yes, this chapter took an extra mile by showing how the characters grew old with the tokens of their memories laid out in the shrine (from the baseball cap to the handmade zodiac crafts). Your uplifting words as a fan is also uplifting some of us to re-read the manga series for its many precious life lessons! 😁🥰

-------------------------
Marianne

~Effort, Fortitude, and Tenacity

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fruits Basket Chapter 7 Discussion

bluegummiworms - Jan 26, 2009

6 by SuperJohnDoe »»
Nov 14, 2023 3:14 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket Chapter 131 Discussion

Zekkenshin - Jul 20, 2023

3 by marquinti2 »»
Jul 21, 2023 6:41 AM

Poll: » Fruits Basket Chapter 95 Discussion

Zekkenshin - Jul 18, 2023

4 by marquinti2 »»
Jul 20, 2023 8:43 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket Chapter 135 Discussion

Zekkenshin - Jul 20, 2023

2 by marquinti2 »»
Jul 20, 2023 6:58 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket Chapter 133 Discussion

Pointless_3456 - May 10, 2020

1 by Zekkenshin »»
Jul 20, 2023 10:14 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.