Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
May 21, 2011 12:00 PM
Aug 2008
I read the manga and then watched the anime. And I'm really not all that impressed. I loved the ending in the manga. I don't hate George for his relationship with Yukari. I think there's a part of him that really did care about her, but as they mentioned in the manga and anime, George and Yukari are really not that compatible as long-term lovers. Yukari is George's muse and dress-up doll and George is someone for her to go to and escape her monotonous life. In the long-run, these two don't work and that's reality.

As for the ending in the anime, I feel it was very rushed and I'm disappointed they didn't elaborate on Yukari's marriage to Hiro. I also feel like the anime missed a few things in the manga that highlighted the dynamics of Yukari and George's relationship.
May 29, 2011 9:39 PM

May 2011
ok i loved the show, and at the end, i kinda expected george to pop out of the closet or something! And the guy she married (i forget his name) i dont really like him. because in the beginning it seems like he only liked her because she becam a model and cut her bangs. like didnt she say he hardly paid attention to her? now all of a sudden he likes her. i cried! Im still crying cuz i jsut watched it! I love happy endings, and it sucks to know that they didnt end up together, even tho she loved him and he loved her!!! I kinda think issabelle and george end up together, because he does see her as a girl after all.. that'd kinda be cute. but it just sucks cuz i had just gotten to love them ..UGH! THIS IS WHY WHITE GIRLS CANT WATCH ANIME! WE CRY OVER EVERY ANIME!!

lol, i cried after vampire knight too, and fruits basket! evern thos fruits basket had a happy ending, lol, it was over and i cried! and vampire knight pissed me off sooo much, cuz at first i wanted kaname and yuki to be together cuz i figured zero was gonna get her, and i like the underdog to win, buuut, when she just left zero i was like BITCH WTF!! plus thats her brother so its kinda inseist lol just sayin!!!
~Love Me, Hate Me, Say What You Want About Me~
May 31, 2011 3:37 PM
Oct 2009
I really liked the Anime. Not as much as NANA but i thought it was interesting and refreshing. Some parts i liked more than others, but above all I came to love the characters and the story...

Thank God I was warned about it being a not really satisfying ending, however... I thought it was referring to george going abroad leaving yukari behind. What I didn't expect were the f**ing last 20 seconds in which she talked about the marriage and honeymoon. That was uncalled for. I seriously adore the mangaka's way of writing and that her stories are rather unusual, but in all honesty - even for realism you need to draw a line.

It would have been fine if she had just ended it after george going away - fans who wanted to believe yukari would follow him in the end, could have done so, and the other way around, those who'd prefer a more definite ending could have thought she was gonna move on.

But taking away everyone's hopes just like that - I hated that.
And I do believe that George really loved Yukari (otherwise he wouldn't have cried when leaving), he was just too much of an Idealist to know how to express it. But I think he could've learned with time...

Anyway, i'll forget about that damned last line and believe in my own version - just as I did with Nana. Oh how i hate endings like that...
Jun 19, 2011 7:55 AM

Apr 2009
It was so realistic.
Isn't it unsettling? How we all have our little dreams in high school and how everyone thinks they know what they'll do. Everyone will stay together, everyone will follow their dream. Yet in the end it turns out that life plays with us and not the other way around. They did sort of follow their dreams in the end, but not in the way that they originally planned. So it was all just a teenage ideal which is easily forgotten. I guess it's just an important memory for all of them? I don't know. Being in high school and having plans for the future, I found this incredibly sad. I guess nothing will go the way I want it to go in the end.

Also, I think she married a random guy she met later.

Hm, isn't it kind of depressing? How it was pretty uncertain for all of them who wanted to do something different, but Tokumori did just fine with everything, and he did what most people do? Guess it has a really good message though - believe in yourself.

Sorry, I got carried away. I actually liked it. Had a horrible feeling in my stomach and throat through most of this episode, but still. That's life, I guess.
deadoptimist said:
Though I think shit-flinging should also have standards - no personal, no behind the scenes.
Jun 19, 2011 11:55 AM

Jun 2011
I was very happy with this realistic ending to a realistic story. Too often relationships and females in particular are portrayed as shallow objects in anime. Yukari's growth as a person throughout the show is what attracted me to the story. I thought the ending was just perfect.
Jul 13, 2011 11:34 AM
Jun 2009
Laevantein said:
George is a good pick for short-term relationship
Tokumori better for long-term perhaps

This. Now that I know the guy she married was Tokumori (I thought it was some random guy initially), the ending doesn't seem so bad. He's more caring and low-maintenance than George, and he'll definitely make her happy.

Thought a part of me wanted George x Yukari because George clearly loved Yukari a lot, given that he gave all of the clothes that he had ever made to Yukari knowing that he'd never see her or the clothes ever again.
Jul 19, 2011 8:53 PM
Apr 2010
i don't know about this ending. i just feel left kind of empty.
Sep 1, 2011 2:54 PM

Mar 2011
shourialize said:
k0k0 said:
WHY are people so sure she's marrying Hiroyuki though? It's some random guy most probably. But I'd like to assume it's Hiroyuki. Damn they should've shown.

http://www.anymanga.com/paradise-kiss/005/010/026-027/

Woah..that page in the manga brought out a lot more emotions out of me then the anime did. After seeing them together and then..the key George gave to her..

So I think I could've done without the 10 years later, but then again..it's the reality of it. Yukari and George really did love each other but they lived different lives. Followed their own dreams.
I believe Yukari will always love George. He was the one that opened her eyes to a new world, a new future. (9/10)

-Ai Yazawa..why must you do this to me..? ;_;
Sep 17, 2011 9:31 PM

Feb 2009
When I seen the "10 years later" I was expecting some typical cliché crap, but I was pleasantly surprised.
Nov 11, 2011 8:27 PM

Jul 2007
Awww the ending made me tear up but I 'd still prefer the J-live movie better, now that ending was sweet, but still this ending was a let down.
Dec 7, 2011 5:52 PM

Jan 2010
It was a sad ending :/ I really thought that she will go to Paris after becoming a successful model :/ And it's very sad that she is marrying different guy + that she still loves George, and I know he loves her too :(
Too bad :'(
8/10
"If it's your wish, I will follow you everywhere, Even if your throne crumbles, And your shiny crown turns to rust, Even if the bodies pile up endlessly, Above the bottomless pile corpses, Beside you as you lie softly down, I will be.....Until i hear the words "check Mate." ♥
Jan 19, 2012 8:27 AM

Jan 2011
I actually liked this ending
i never liked george, but at least at the end he kind of redeems himself
first time him shedding tears when he drove off and giving her his dresses which he said were precious memories
although he was really an ass most of the time
been a while since an ending i enjoyed 9/10 for me
Feb 18, 2012 2:04 PM

Dec 2008
felt a little bit rushed, but i was happy that she got together with Tokumori in the end, it was what i had hoped for the whole show, since George kept beeing like that, it did not feel like he loved her, but Tokumori did. at least imo.
4,5/5
Mar 31, 2012 5:26 AM

Sep 2008
algelic said:
I wouldn't say it was a let down. It was refreshing to see a show that doesn't try a spectacular ending... either very happy or very sad. It was realistic.

Very true. It wasn't some outstanding coincidence, but rather an ending that you would expect in real life. Still, an ending where Yukari and George end up reuniting would be fairly realistic too, arguably, considering they're both working in the fashion industry, just in different roles.

Well, anyway. Not impressed by the ending, but not devastated either. It was okay, but not one of those shows that would rocket to the top of my favourites list...
Apr 20, 2012 10:09 AM
Aug 2009
ChibiLuffy said:
doesn't mean he has to treat all women like they're objects.

Objects? I don't think so, as much as a jerk George can be he believes that Yukari has her own life and can make her own decisions, that's what I liked about him.

I feel sorry for Miwako, Arashi doesn't have a right to forbid Miwako from seeing anyone, and breaking her phone was just too much.
Jul 23, 2012 1:19 AM

Dec 2008
I kinda like how she didn't get engaged to George in the end, it was realistic. Arashi was such a douchebag in smashing Miwako's phone though, jeez grow up already.
Jul 29, 2012 3:23 AM

Jul 2011
Yup, I was right about my feelings and choose right anime <3

Girl who wasn't sure what wanted from own life, but later was more and more sure that she want to become pro model.

And once again Madhouse show what they can do... great show with some romance and drama, from start to end totally great one show <3

5/5

"A half moon, it has a dark half and a bright half, just like me…", Yuno Gasai
Mar 26, 2013 11:39 PM

Jan 2013
Hmm 8.5/10
Basically liked/loved every episode. Never found it boring, the episodes just flew by.
Apr 18, 2013 8:19 PM
Aug 2011
I liked the ending actually.

Yukari grew up so fast, actually too fast to a point where she was just so full of herself.

In this episode not only did she grow up but she matured as well and I liked that.

George leaving was not unexpected because he's the kind of character where you can't see him tied down too long.
Glad that at least Isabella went with him.
Apr 20, 2013 11:48 AM
Jul 2018
It was a really good coming of age story.

I'll give it a 9.

Better start the manga.
Apr 29, 2013 9:19 AM

Mar 2012
a decent, yet overly westernized series.
Jun 23, 2013 10:05 PM

Nov 2011
Well....dem emotions this episode. I think the fact that the show added in this woman named Calary or whatever her name is kinda ruined it since she certainly enters George and Yukari's life out of nowhere. Dem tears at the end. Speaking of which, the ending was shitty. Score lowered a little from that but that's not saying much because I'm still giving this a 8/10. So realistic it hurts.
Aug 6, 2013 4:24 PM
Mar 2013
ironchefflip said:
Ah, I had to go to the manga to verify whom Yukari was going to marry. For anyone wanting more details regarding the ending, I suggest reading the last few pages of the manga since it explains a tiny bit more. It gave me slightly better closure.

You're absolutely right ! Thanks for the tip :D I have to say that unlike the majority here i think that george loved her, what proves that the most can be seen at the parting seen, didn't he have teary eyes while driving away from her? Also leaving the dresses to her shows that she was quite precious to him don't you think? Even though more than anything else i wanted them to end up together but, ending with tokumori wasn't bad either, one of the most realistic endings indeed x(
SarayAug 8, 2013 1:21 AM
Sep 30, 2013 8:38 AM

Jul 2013
The ending was a bit of a drag, if it wasn't for the music I would have turned it off.
Did anyone else think that Yukari would be pregnant? I thought that it would end with Yukari turning out like George's mother but maybe he would react differently to his father. I watch too many dramas...
The ending was strange when everyone parted ways. That hardly ever happens in real life but I guess Yukari barely knew them to have a relationship in the future with them. In a sense, I believe this anime has tried to create something realistic but made it far from reality.
Pirates are evil? The Marines are righteous? These terms have always changed throughout the course of history! Kids who have never seen peace and kids who have never seen war have different values! Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! This very place is neutral ground! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice!
- Doflamingo
Dec 15, 2013 4:47 PM

Jan 2010
did noooot like the ending. at all.
either they shouldve left her crying in the closet or made her marry tokumori.
seriously
fuck that ending
im gonna pretend it didnt happen :(
Dec 31, 2013 10:32 AM

Sep 2011
Ooh the expected from Yazawa Ai, always playing with our feelings T.T
I've wanted a happy ending too and my rating has dropped a little, but the plot and human relations theme made worth to watch it!
I'm giving this 8/10. If this had more episodes, maybe I would give 9.
Jan 3, 2014 8:34 AM

Aug 2013
vigil said:
5/10 - Watched it to the end because of Narasaki (did the OST, great by the way). But, it's not that realistic at all when you look at the whole thing. Just not my thing I guess.

I agree
"If you win, you live. If you lose, you die. If you don’t fight, you can’t win!"
- Eren Yaeger
Feb 9, 2014 3:46 PM

Sep 2013
I'm sad they're not together... :'(
Feb 12, 2014 1:26 AM

May 2010
Woah breaking the phone is going overboard isn't it? This was an overall beautiful story. BOOOOTTIFULL I SAY.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Mar 23, 2014 3:28 AM
Dec 2013
i already finished this anime long time ago BUT I LOVE IT SO MUCH Q_Q
Apr 11, 2014 1:55 AM

Aug 2013
Damn it this is like Nana and Ren all over again T___T

Why?!!
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Apr 11, 2014 5:53 AM

Apr 2009
aw~ so after 10years she is not really for George. T__T

8/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 13, 2014 1:50 PM

May 2012
What an amazing realistic ending! Damn the moment she opened that container that was hard but damn so lovely! Really impressive how they managed to make this series so realistic combined with a rather unique art style and great development of both characters and story I must say that I really loved this anime! 9.5/10
Aug 4, 2014 10:58 PM

Jan 2012
def. not my kind of anime...

omg this anime is so realistic omg 10!10!!!!

-.-
Aug 9, 2014 10:43 PM

Mar 2013
Very mixed feelings. I kind of shipped her with George and... also not.
Aug 18, 2014 9:32 PM

Oct 2013
I'm a bit disappointed in the ending since it is not the same ending in the manga. Also in its live-action film adaptation, the ending is not the same as well. Whyyyy. All three have the same plot yet different endings? WHYYYYYYY ಥ_ಥ
Nov 2, 2014 5:43 PM
Oct 2014
I agree the ending was a let down but i assumed that since george was bi his first love was isabella and they ended up getting together i wouldve loved if yukari stayed with george but hey cant change the mind of the writer
Nov 11, 2014 1:34 PM

Sep 2014
What a series! I actually like the bittersweet ending although I kind of expected it (thanks to spoilers but oh well). The only criticism I have though is that it was a bit rushed. I wasn't very sure who she ended up marrying but looking at the discussion, I'm a lot more satisfied with the ending.

George didn't seem like a compatible long-term partner for Yukari even though he truly loved her. I wasn't a fan of how he treated her so coldly throughout the series but I appreciated his maturity and how he handled himself especially during those arguments he had with Yukari. Both of them are flawed and it was interesting to see how they go through the highs and lows of their relationship. It felt realistic and refreshing.

Thanks to the series, the ED rekindled my love for Franz Ferdinand music. The OP was addicting as well. I'll definitely pick up the manga and check out Ai Yazawa's other works such as Nana. The art is absolutely stunning.

[/center]
Dec 2, 2014 3:05 AM
May 2014
xchee said:
Damn it this is like Nana and Ren all over again T___T

Why?!!

Yeah i got that feeling too. They parted ways for the best amd found happiness later i guess.
Jan 12, 2015 8:02 AM

Feb 2010
I thought this entire anime was fantastic.

George had some tough love but honestly that's what I liked about him. He cared about Caroline enough to make sure she led her own life. A very modern type of relationship I feel--he didn't want her to make the same mistake as "Wife #2."

He succeeded in shaping Caroline into an independent and ambitious woman--one who could live her own life the way she wanted it. In this way George was the best thing that ever happened to her--and she the best thing that ever happened to him.

He too was inspired by Caroline's ability to answer his own expectations, most likely something he didn't even expect. In the end I like to believe this is the reason he got his strength to leave and dream big.

George and Caroline part changed by each other forever. Relationships don't last forever--the best type of relationship is one which improves you as a person. In this respect I think Paradise Kiss demonstrated a realistic (yet still optimistic) love story. Much different from the commonly accepted "innocent love" most of us are used to seeing in other series.
Jan 24, 2015 1:04 AM

Sep 2014
This was so good. I actually loved the ending, and it didn't feel "rushed" to me. Fast-paced? Yeah, but not rushed. I'm sick of seeing "happily ever after" endings, so I liked the realistic aspect here. I don't think George would be good for Yukari in the long run anyway.

Also...George leaves Tokyo for Paris on a boat? That'll take forever.
Feb 10, 2015 5:59 AM
Jan 2012
Great anime, but the reality is, it has too much emotional impact that will ruin people like me.
Probably won't be able to handle a series like NANA even though I want to.
Apr 17, 2015 2:18 PM

Dec 2009
The ending left me heartbroken, but I liked it. It was extremely realistic. I'd like to quote:

kawaiiyuris said:

Isn't it unsettling? How we all have our little dreams in high school and how everyone thinks they know what they'll do. Everyone will stay together, everyone will follow their dream. Yet in the end it turns out that life plays with us and not the other way around. They did sort of follow their dreams in the end, but not in the way that they originally planned.

This is life. Your future may be very different from what you think, friends will lose contact with each other and love relationships won't last forever - especially when you're 18. But this doesn't mean your future erases your past. It will stay with you forever, and you won't lose the affection towards your loved ones. I think this is what the last scene of the anime - the key and ring Yukari treasured - tried to tell us.

Contrary to what most people have written here, I think George really loved Yukari, at least as much as she loved him. He could have stayed in Japan with Yukari, but Yukari could also have moved to France with him. So they both decided to separate, it was not George only. They decided to develop as a person instead of putting love on top of everything. This is a choice many people make in reality, that's why I've found it realistic.

I've also found interesting that they showed us the opposite choice, represented by Isabella, who followed George, clearly sacrificing everything for him, well aware she was not corresponded. That's a bit sad too.

In spite of their love, George and Yukari weren't a balanced couple, though. They both needed more attention than they could give. Tokumori seems way more appropriate for Yukari. He's more gentle and caring. I've always liked him, from the start, so if she really ends up with him I'm happy. Paradoxically it is very romantic, as her first love did become true.

Well in the end a fantastic anime. I'll have to read the manga sooner or later!
Jun 3, 2015 1:57 AM
Apr 2012
the ending killed me just like nanas ending and i watched them both in a row ugh fuck the ending i cant finish this
Aug 25, 2015 1:48 PM
Jun 2014
Hey , sorry if I'm not in the right place. I'm new to this site, and I have some difficults with English ... So maybe I don't really understand how this forum works, sorry. I had a question about the episode 12. Well, I have been looking for a long time an ost : one which played when Yukari and Georges are in car after the new year party. Does anyone know his name ?
Sep 30, 2015 7:41 PM

Oct 2010
I feel that watching Nana first didn't let me enjoy this show that much. Nana and Paradise Kiss feel very similar in tone and characters, but to me Nana feels like Paradise Kiss 2x. I wish Paradise Kiss had something that would help it stand out from Nana so I would not have to make this comparison, regardless Paradise Kiss was not bad. In my heart I wish this show could have been a little bit more ambitious because I felt no type emotion for that ending.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 2, 2015 1:47 PM

Aug 2013
Wtf it was? I know who that guy was, but come on! Las episode should be done in 5 episodes, it was WAY TOO FAST.
I'm glad that she ended with him, George was terrible match for her, but it was done awfully bad.
I planned to give 8, but I give 7/10 because of this shitty ending.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jan 6, 2016 1:41 PM

May 2015
I am so glad that she didn't end up with George. Their relationship was toxic.
My head canon is that she ended up with Tokumori. George can go to hell.
EDIT: Wait, it's canon? YUUUUUS!!!!
SuranaJan 6, 2016 1:44 PM
"It's a tragic misunderstanding that could have been easily avoided if he just finished his sentence in time!"

— Richard Watterson (The Amazing World of Gumball)
Feb 14, 2016 10:20 PM

Jul 2013
The ending was predictable for a Josei show but it still gives me goosebumps. The drama was done well and I enjoyed it. Very well done indeed, one of the rare fashion anime, very original. 8/10
Jun 29, 2016 5:38 PM
Jul 2013
Seriously fuck this ending.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Paradise Kiss Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

jacobpaige - May 17, 2008

75 by MaiMai_06 »»
May 5, 8:39 AM

Poll: » Paradise Kiss Episode 10 Discussion

Ranivus - Jun 28, 2008

36 by sleepyyjax »»
May 4, 12:30 PM

Poll: » Paradise Kiss Episode 9 Discussion

Ranivus - Jun 28, 2008

25 by Mirorin »»
Apr 5, 2:28 PM

Poll: » Paradise Kiss Episode 8 Discussion

Ranivus - Jun 28, 2008

37 by Mirorin »»
Apr 5, 2:09 PM

Poll: » Paradise Kiss Episode 6 Discussion

SunSir - Mar 17, 2008

40 by Mirorin »»
Apr 5, 1:29 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.