Forum Settings
Forums

Which one affect your opinion more : Rating or Review ?

New
Most affect your personal opinion
May 23, 2016 12:56 AM

Jan 2014
There were some anime that the rating and review contradict each others. On one hand we have high rating but bad reviews. On the other hand, we have low rating but rather good reviews.

I'll take ERASED and Ergo Proxy for example :
ERASED (Boku Dake ga Inai Machi)
Rating : 8.76
Review : (4, 3, 8, 5) = 5 average

Ergo Proxy
Rating : 8.04
Review : (9, 9, 9, 8) = 8.75 average

So which one affect your opinion more : Rating or Review ?

edited : add "both of them to the option"
HiatusXHiatusMay 23, 2016 7:54 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 23, 2016 12:59 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Depends a bit on the show, but seeing as ratings are based on the entire viewerbase rather than just the opinion of one person like a review is, they have the advantage of sample size

On the other hand numbers alone don't tell the whole story. Reviews actually explain why the reviewer thought the way he did, whereas just looking at the score does not. This is just another reason why I don't think scoring should be a part of reviews at all
May 23, 2016 1:08 AM

Oct 2014
Reviewers have more to say about the anime so I think their opinions hold more weight. If you're going by the top reviews then that means those reviews were well written (generally) so you should be able to trust them. Obviously within reason, though. Happy Happy Clover would be based on my review alone and I gave it a rating 1.32 points above the mean (8 rather than 6.68). For SAO averaging the top reviewers scores would give us 4.25 compared to the 7.93 it has as a mean.

If I see an anime that I think would be good yet has a low mean score I will justify that it's probably not that bad if the top reviewers gave it higher scores.
May 23, 2016 1:12 AM

Apr 2014
None of them, as you can see with my favorites.
May 23, 2016 1:23 AM

May 2016
It's more like both of them because rating can capture your attention and make you wonder why is it scored like this then you read some reviews to see the reasons behind the scores.
Carbon is a chemical Element with symbol C and atomic number 6. It is nonmetallic and tetravalent—making four electrons available to form covalent chemical bonds.
Symbol: C
Atomic mass: 12.0107 u ± 0.0008 u
Atomic number: 6
Electron configuration: [He] 2s22p2
Discovered: 3750 BC
Electrons per shell: 2, 4
May 23, 2016 1:26 AM

Nov 2009
None. I have a head on shoulders, which, despite aging, still capable of producing a thought. However, sometimes if I want to watch something new I look at MAL ratings to decide what to pick.

May 23, 2016 1:28 AM

Dec 2015
Most of the time only ecchi reviews are not worth reading, becuz of some dickhead writing that he doesnt get it.
The rest is fine to read...
May 23, 2016 1:30 AM

May 2015
I don't trust the anime community's ratings, instead some reviews can affect my opinion if they have interesting points or I have similar taste to the reviewer.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 23, 2016 1:33 AM

Jan 2016
Well, I don't really care about MAL's overall rating and I just read/watch review for recommendation and/or if I'm curious about a specific person's opinion about a show that I've watched.

I still go with my own opinion, in the end.
May 23, 2016 1:37 AM

Jun 2015
Reviews more MAINLY because I completely ignore the overall rating.

But then again many reviewers seem to be prone of a 7-10 rating. I'd rather check the arguments than making an average.
May 23, 2016 1:38 AM

Sep 2015
Ratings have the added bonus of sample size behind them, but I won't really pay much attention to ratings either way unless they're extremes of either 6 and lower or 8.5 and higher. Anything inbetween can be completely disregarded, the way I look at it. There are many anime that were rated 8-8.5 - which, by all means, should be a really high score - but turned out to be paindfully average. Similarly, there are a lot of 6.5 or lower rated anime - which, as far as the MAL average score goes, they're below - but weren't half bad at all.

I'll only ever really pay attention to extreme scores, because they're usually (although of course not always) more indicative of the quality.

As far reviews, they're a highly personalised single opinion from a particular user. They're useful because there are some great reviewers out there, but at the end of the day the amount of faith I'll stick in a review is limited; they can only go so far.

But all in all, I'll just watch the anime and decide for myself. That affects my opinion the most.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
May 23, 2016 1:40 AM

Mar 2015
Rating by far. Reviews on MAL are as bad as they come.
May 23, 2016 2:02 AM

Jul 2015
Rating, if something is rated lower than 7.5 I will not touch it
dont read reviews i care more about genre/popularity
tragedydesuMay 23, 2016 2:45 AM
May 23, 2016 2:28 AM

Jan 2015
I don't need someone else formulating my opinion for me. Nor do I need some arbitrary score to tell me whether some ting is worth watching or not.
May 23, 2016 2:44 AM
May 2010
Review does affect me more than rating, even though I also don't rely on them to formulate my opinion. Reviews being more detailed means they give me the nuance needed to tell whether if a good anime would disinterest me or if a bad anime might provide me some amusement.
May 23, 2016 2:49 AM

Jun 2009
Don't care too much about either one but if I had to choose it would definitely be rating. It's the opinions of a MUCH bigger userbase compared to a handful of reviews. Not to mention 90% of MAL reviews are garbage anyway. People usually only go to the length of writing a review if they either loved or h ated a Show, so more often than not you only get the extreme views there.
May 23, 2016 2:51 AM

Mar 2015
rating, simply because with rating, at least i know overall comunity rating of it... and i don't take it personally, i just know what mayority watcher think out of it... when review usually full of personal bias that vote usually based on agree and disagree that make actually good review sunk...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
May 23, 2016 2:58 AM

Aug 2014
Neither, my opinion isn't really my own if It can be easily influenced by small stuff like that. Though if I were to pick one, reviews would be the one, since it could potentially give me a new view on something I hated/liked.

Dec 2015
Usually comments if we talk Kissanime website.
So review.

Mar 2016
Ratings. Reviews relly on the writer's opnion them the public opnion
I normally see reviews i finish a series to see if other people has the same opnion as me and rarely i use to see the series's cons and see if i will like it.

And most of the people only read the review with the most "agreed" as if it was the absolute true.

@zombie_pegasus After 2 top reviewers gave 8 to Blade Dance, i dont trust they anymore.
SomuchgamerMay 23, 2016 3:07 AM

May 23, 2016 3:29 AM

Jan 2016
I voted that I don't care for both because that is what I do when I want to find a new show to watch. However, between reviews and ratings, reviews affect my opinion more.
At least justify your opinions instead of just saying "it's my opinion". It would've been more polite.

May 23, 2016 3:42 AM

Feb 2016
Reviews.. cause rating is too general. In reviews, first of all you can see if the person s taste is the same as yours, and if it s ok, then you can check all the strenghts and weaknesses and decide if it s worth watching it..
May 23, 2016 4:29 AM

Dec 2015
I use rating more than reviews.
Reviews are generally written by people who either loved a show, hated it, or think it is overrated/underrated. In all theses cases, it makes a bad and biased review.
ERASED is a good example, most reviews are harsh just because it had a really high rating. Because many people think that it is overrated, they bash it in reviews. But instead of being reasonable and pointing out the flaws, they just give it 3 or 4 to show that the rating is not deserved.
If the same anime was an obscure title with a low rating, reviews would be more positive.

However, i do look at reviews for shows that belong to hated genres. Ecchi, harem, moe, loli or incest-themed anime will almost always have a bad rating no matter how good they are. In that case, reviews written by people who can at least appreciate the genre are a good way to see if it's actually bad for if low ratings are just there because "too much fan service" or"ugh, a sister and a brother, that's gross, Koi Kaze 1/10".
May 23, 2016 4:34 AM

May 2016
You should've added an option "Both of them"!!
May 23, 2016 4:39 AM

Jul 2015
A signle score isn't enough for me, so i prefer to read some reviews so i can have a general idea in my mind before start watching/reading an anime/a manga.
May 23, 2016 4:41 AM

Feb 2010
First of all neither. I barely ever read reviews and score is just a small factor among many.

But I can definitely recommend ignoring the bad reviews for a show with a high score if you wanna go into the show unbiased, it's just the natural saltiness of people who were pissed the show was rated so highly. People love having the contrarian opinion so I personally would rather trust the average score of 100k users than a few salty individuals trashing a popular and well-received series because it makes them stand out. Sure, the reviews might legit be telling you something about the show's quality, but so can the average score, the difference is the average score is infinitely less likely to be based on personal feelings/agendas so when in doubt I'd always value the score higher than a bunch of salty 3/10 reviews.

ESPECIALLY if you're just gonna look at the review scores and compare them to the average score without reading the reviews.
I probably regret this post by now.
May 23, 2016 4:48 AM

May 2010
Rating, always.

I almost never read reviews anyway, huh, I don't even read anime's descriptions :D And if I do, it's usually after completing the series, when I'm interested in some plotlines or whether I understood some parts or character's motivations completely etc. I wouldn't say that it "affects" my opinion though, it's just what I go with while picking new series to my plan to watch list.
May 23, 2016 4:58 AM

Mar 2015
Well,a review can make me reconsider some things about an anime,so I'll go with that.
May 23, 2016 5:22 AM

Oct 2015
A review is a far better way to persuade me than a single number, even if the review is shitty.

Although if an anime has a mean score of less than 6.5 I will probably approach it with a grain of salt.
May 23, 2016 5:56 AM

Dec 2015
Ratings only tell you whether people liked or disliked a show, but a review (or at least a good one) explains the reasons why they liked/disliked it.
So for me personally, I find reviews more helpful.
May 23, 2016 6:09 AM

Dec 2015
Review: Only 1 person.
Rating: Many persons.

Rating is a bit better. For review you'd need to find a person with similar taste where you could be sure. Or needing to read some bad and some good reviews to get more than 1 opinion.

Usually I don't care for both. I only look at recommendations sometimes to try finding similar anime. Then deciding after I read the description which is enough. And maybe googling for some screens. Too bad screenshots can't be added here. One fo the biggest advantages of the major German anime database I know which I only use for screenshots because they got them. :D

---

And the average rating from all reviews ... I am not even calculating that. Might be just that for some anime there are more fanboys or haters writing reviews. Only the overall score is giving a good info.
May 23, 2016 6:12 AM

Mar 2016
I don't care about either, but rating can do somewhat. If it's too low, like less then 5.
May 23, 2016 6:15 AM

Jul 2015
I mainly look at reviews since ratings could be a bit bias or fake. For some rating, people would chose 1, just for the heck of it. Reviews could be a bit bias too but if you read multiple of them, you could get a general idea of what the anime is about and decide if you want to watch them or not; which ratings can't tell since it's all based on the type of person and what they like.
May 23, 2016 6:16 AM

Sep 2015
The rank. But between those two, the rating
May 23, 2016 6:19 AM

May 2016
GriedSatzvin said:

isnt rank affected by rating? you cant have a top anime with low rating
May 23, 2016 6:22 AM

Sep 2015
everynamestaken said:
GriedSatzvin said:

isnt rank affected by rating? you cant have a top anime with low rating

Yes, ofc. But the rank actually shows you how high an anime's score is compared to others :)
May 23, 2016 6:31 AM

Aug 2014
On MAL ratings, outside of MAL reviews. Reviewers on MAL tend to be more of the vocal minority, even more so when it comes to anime that takes the mainstream limelight. Outside of MAL where you see youtubers doing a review for example, I find you get a better explanation of anime and the viewpoint of the reviewer.
May 23, 2016 6:33 AM

May 2016
Reading through these comments I think it's safe to say that MAL doesn't have a very reliable rating OR review system. It's all subject to personal opinions from fans of shows, which are usually not critical analysis of a show's quality.

However, that's what gives MAL its charm. Fans of anime saying what they want about it.

I like reading reviews to see what people say about something before watching, but I always keep in mind that these aren't exactly professional reviews. :)
"Pretty easy work, for a god." ~ Freya - Valkyrie Profile

May 23, 2016 6:35 AM

Oct 2013
WHAT. u literally compared general ratings to review ratings LMFAO.
I dont give a shit about ratings, so Ill take reviews for the sake of the question.
May 23, 2016 6:40 AM

Oct 2014
Ratings are trash. Everyone uses the system as they pleases, and since personal enjoyment=/=quality and the former is used massively to rate a show, I doubt this site will someday have a fair rating.

Not to mention there are people that don't use the full spectrum of the rate system, getting stuck at 6-7 as a minimum.

Reviews are more interesting for me, they could be trash too but sometimes some reasonable reviews appear amidst the extreme bias. I just ignore the score and go for the arguments.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; What is essential is invisible to the eye.

But does the heart have the right perspective?
May 23, 2016 6:47 AM

Jun 2015
None. I am not some mindless sheep to be swayed by such insignificant things.
May 23, 2016 6:51 AM

Jan 2016
Well ... you can define reviews that it's only his/her own perspective way. Every person has his/her own way to view the world. Where ratings are average of a lot of people's opinions. But i didn't mean that reviews are useless hence i mean ratings carry more than reviews.
Sia_316May 23, 2016 6:58 AM
May 23, 2016 7:36 AM

Dec 2014
BeBackinaSec said:
None. I am not some mindless sheep to be swayed by such insignificant things.

So if the rating of a show is 3.8, all of the reviews are jokes or have awful scores, you wouldn't be swayed at all, not even taking the show with a slight grain of salt?

Half the time the reviews are superior to the ratings, and vice versa, so I just use a combination of both.

As an example:
All of the reviews for the first season of Toaru are positive, yet the score is a bit low (relative to MAL's standards). I heavily disliked Toaru's writing, so the rating makes more sense for that show.

At the same same, at least back then SAO had a generally high rating but all of the reviews essentially called it dogshit, which it was.

I'll mostly just go with the general opinion on the show as a whole I've seen in the anime community.
May 23, 2016 7:40 AM

Feb 2015
Ratings, because reviews are often used by people to needlessly hate on an anime or to go fanboy about it and so tend to be much less accurate. But sometimes I'll read a few well-balanced reviews, which sometimes can convince me to watch or avoid an anime I wasn't undecided about before.
May 23, 2016 7:43 AM

Sep 2015
Just learn to make your own review.
Its your choice.
May 23, 2016 7:51 AM
Jul 2018
Reviews.

Scores on MAL are meaningless since everyone is using different rating systems. We have plenty of people who give 10 to basically everything they watch, that alone is enough to make me not give a crap.

Reviews, on the other hand, can be informative. Granted, 90% of the reviews on MAL are shit, but there are some great ones. And those are enough to help me make me a decision.
May 23, 2016 7:54 AM
Oct 2014
Review. I find that my tastes don't always match those of the average viewer.

A rating is just a number, assigned by people I don't know and who may or may not like the same things I do. I like some shows that are rated high and some shows that are rated low. I dislike some shows that are rated high and some shows that are rated low. In fact, the only definitive statement you could make about how my enjoyment compares to the average is that there is no correlation.

A review, on the other hand, is informative. Maybe people don't like the show specifically because of elements that I happen to like. Maybe everyone praises the show for things I hate. For instance, if people praise a show because it's dark and gritty and not afraid to kill off main characters, I probably won't like it. If people criticize a show because it doesn't have a strong plot and instead the episodes have nothing to do with each other, I'll probably like it. And if everyone complains that the show has nothing to do with the manga, that will have no bearing on my enjoyment because I don't read much manga.

If you're willing to read between the lines on reviews, you can make a much more informative decision than if you just saw the rating, which tells you nothing about why people like or don't like a show.
May 23, 2016 8:02 AM

Mar 2016
It'd be easier to trust scores if everyone and their mother didn't see a 6 as the worst thing ever. Reviews are a lot more helpful in determining if there's something in the anime that I'll really hate, despite the interesting synopsis/genre tags, etc. In the end I'd rather form my own opinion by just watching it.

lasterrending said:
. Maybe people don't like the show specifically because of elements that I happen to like.

Agreed with your whole post. But, this x1000
syncrogazerMay 23, 2016 8:07 AM
May 23, 2016 8:25 AM

Jan 2016
None. My opinion mostly stays the same.

But if I had to choose, probably the rating. It has enough people for a general consensus, although half the time I don't agree.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you perfer Split Cour or Consecutive Cour?

animegamer245 - Yesterday

16 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
1 minute ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

44 by GoatPieceLuffy »»
3 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others? ( 1 2 )

WatchTillTandava - Yesterday

62 by -YaoiBoy- »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » how often do you self insert or empathize with anime characters? and do you experience how good or bad the characters situation or experience is too

deg - 5 hours ago

14 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
6 minutes ago

» Has anime made you erotophobic?

LenRea - 25 minutes ago

4 by Nemo_Niemand »»
7 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.