Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Oct 7, 2015 9:08 PM

Jul 2012
Fintan said:
mayukachan said:
lol i feel bad for you. watching it without any information is the best

Agreed. I was expecting a decent comedy, but nothing like the first episode. It was better going in blind for sure. I do think this hype will die off though, cause it's going to be just the normal art style from now on it seems and not so over the top. I'm still going to watch it(as I'm sure some others will) cause the writers and comedy are solid, but without the art style changes and parodies I think most will drop it. It will go down as a very memorable first episode though.

yeah i can't see it topping the first episode :/ there's nothing else to parody in modern anime other than those ecchi harems as well as LN adaptations. you could make a few jokes about that but for the last 10+ episodes? nah. i think i'll try to stick with it at least, for the seiyuu cast.

like most comedy anime, it's not funny if you've already seen the jokes beforehand. like with binan koukou as well, i saw screenshots of the new episodes on tumblr and the episode wasn't as funny.
Oct 7, 2015 10:05 PM

Mar 2013
gad this was superb, i don't watch comedy but this was wort becouse all the stuff i dislike they make fun of it

Oct 7, 2015 10:18 PM

Jun 2014
Just noticed Morooka in Persona 4 is a reference to Iyami

AOTS so far
Oct 7, 2015 11:01 PM
Mar 2013
LOVE IT!!!!
Oct 8, 2015 9:24 AM

Jan 2013
Holy shit that was amazing. I laughed so hard at the Hana Yori Dango and Utapri references.
Oct 8, 2015 10:14 AM

Nov 2011
As much as i enjoyed this as most people, i had this feeling that the show used up all (or atleast its best) jokes in one episode.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Oct 8, 2015 11:10 AM
Jul 2018
"What's happened?" ROFL dat engrish

OMG I can't believe I didn't want to watch this! That was brilliant! 10/10

Fuck OPM, this is the real AOTS.

Anime has been saved.
Oct 8, 2015 11:19 AM

Apr 2014
Zee530 said:
As much as i enjoyed this as most people, i had this feeling that the show used up all (or atleast its best) jokes in one episode.

Next episode is called "The Melancholy of Osomatsu-kun" so I don't think they're done just yet lol.
Oct 8, 2015 12:48 PM

Jan 2015
Z4k said:
Zee530 said:

Next episode is called "The Melancholy of Osomatsu-kun" so I don't think they're done just yet lol.

And we are talking about Gintama's director
Oct 8, 2015 7:19 PM

Nov 2011
AOTS! Seriously, that so good. I can't stop laughing when they just shoot bunch of parody at you like gatling gun.

Oct 8, 2015 8:18 PM

Apr 2011
When the only sane person in the entire anime is Izaya..... yeah, that kinda shows how good this was. When the Idol sequence started, it became almost hilariously cringeworthy.. almost. I didn't crack a smile until they started getting tired of keeping up the charade and after that, the roller coaster was only going up. Also, can I mention that I absolutely love the visuals. Pierrot really should stick to non-action anime. They're so much better.
Oct 9, 2015 12:11 AM

Oct 2015
This reminded me of a handful of Gintama episodes, particularly:

• One of the earlier episodes where various characters were tossing out ideas to improve the show (e.g., "DragonBleachPiece", Otose & Catherine as magical girls, etc.);

• The crossover episode where the Yorozuya and the cast of Sket Dance were trying to get that sparkle or pizazz-pizazz devil fruit to improve themselves; and

• The last part of the Kintoki arc where the main cast was in some alternate rom-com setting.

Imagine if the first episode of Gintama was one of the aforementioned episodes, and that's basically this episode, except with more updated parody references. Even the cast of brothers is pretty similar to the Yorozuya crew in that there's a straight man, while the rest of them seem to be lazier/have more interesting personalities.

They were really pushing that Ouran Host Club/Wallflower vibe early on, but I think things definitely picked up in the second half. Overall, I thought it was a bit awkward to start the series the way they did, but it still ended up being a pretty enjoyable watch.
Oct 9, 2015 1:14 AM
Dec 2014
Am I the only the person here who read the original manga as a kid? I thought I was suspicious a little when they said they're going to reboot this into an anime, but I never thought that they executed it this way lol. Basically, by far, this anime has defeated Gintama in amount of references in one episode.
Oct 9, 2015 3:26 AM

Oct 2009
I haven't laugh that much since 2007.

you tellin me mangas aint japanese colouring books
Oct 9, 2015 6:03 AM

Jul 2012
Lol this was too funny XD
Oct 9, 2015 7:35 AM

May 2009
This was like throwing the most-famous jokes in one episode at once. Hope the rest of the show won't be like this, considering there are 11 episodes more. I got bored at the second half of it, being all honest. I'm not being salty though, I loved how that one guy threw up when he was about to kiss the girl. Or how a volleyball player, a basketball player, a bike rider and an idol jumped on the titan at once while the other 2 guys just climbed up his leg by motorbike lol I gotta wait and see, I guess.
Oct 9, 2015 8:44 AM
Oct 2015
I definitely wasn't expecting that. First episode was hilarious and the seiyuu line up makes me very happy. I've always been a sucker for shows that parody/reference other material.
Oct 9, 2015 9:50 AM

Jun 2013
I'm loving the gag aspect of this series. Using showa era comedy would be outdated and very few would understand but I appreciate a gag series a lot. I love how many references it has.
臭い-
Oct 9, 2015 11:11 AM

Jul 2014
I laughed so hard at this, man xDDDD The references were pure gold.
Also, the seiyuu cast is sooo nice (and Sakurai Takahiro-san being the one that talks more is even better like hOLY MOLY BEST SEIYUU EVER OK).

I don't think I will laugh harder in the future with this anime. Or even in the future episodes of the whole anime season. It was too hilarious. Over 9000/10.
Oct 9, 2015 2:28 PM
May 2015
That was an absolutely insane debut episode.

I think it's been a great update of a basic gag manga. The first episode actually plays with the premise, doing all sorts of parodies that work out but break down, or just don't work out at all. What results is a carefully constructed disaster that provides a truckload of laughs.

My only complaint would be the pace, the jokes come too hard and fast. But as the show seems to have worked out its updating by the end of the first episode, it's hopeful they'll keep the jokes even.
Oct 9, 2015 2:30 PM

Dec 2012
Oh god, that was WTF. All the references were great, I wonder how the next episode will be.
Oct 9, 2015 4:07 PM

Jul 2012
Z4k said:
AnimeFan500 said:

Street Fighter

Virtual Fighter*

Redline when they're riding up the Titan. I also think the one in yellow onesie before Sailor Moon is supposed to be Doraemon.
Oct 9, 2015 4:17 PM
Mar 2014
bastek66 said:
Gintama's director did it.

makes sense lmfao
Rinth said:
Every opinion is not equal. Some opinions are simply made out of shit.

nasuverse > your favorite anime
Oct 9, 2015 11:13 PM
Jul 2018
loved it, and i wasnt expecting to.
Oct 10, 2015 3:34 AM
Jun 2014
Those reference joke really funny.
Oct 10, 2015 9:22 AM

Dec 2012
bastek66 said:
Gintama's director did it.

Lol that doesn't surprise me. This guy is awesome !
Oct 10, 2015 1:21 PM

Nov 2009
Best thing to ever happen to anime. jk but I loved it
Super funny. Hopefully it can be consistently funny.
Edit: I wonder if they are gonna keep changing the style, or will keep to this remastered-old-one. Also, that ED made me really hungry ugh
ak47Oct 10, 2015 1:34 PM

(THIS WAY FOREVER)
Oct 10, 2015 8:28 PM

Feb 2015
It was absolutely hilarious lmao. I wasn't going to watch it at first, but after hearing how good it was I decided to do so. Looks like I made a good decision. :)

My jaw literally dropped when they made the Love Live! reference. It's so true though! All those references.. omg I almost died.

Anime | Profile | Manga
「The day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday I saw a deer, and today, you.」

Oct 11, 2015 1:56 AM

Oct 2013
I was laughing my ass off non-stop while watching the whole episode xD
I died at all the parodies and tsukkomis.

Seeing from the preview for the next episode, it seems we won't see these sextuplets in this style from now on:

Too bad, I liked seeing them in modern bishie style w

Watching this getting really weird and random is some form of relaxation for me, lol. I hope the comedy and humor will last through the entire series.
Oct 11, 2015 4:44 AM

Mar 2009
The first episode was obviously very funny but I'm not sure if they will be able to keep that up, especially since we seem to only see the modern character designs in the first episode.
Hard to admit but as a parody anime the shingeki no kyojin junior high delivered more.
Oct 11, 2015 6:01 AM

Aug 2008
lol, honoka from love live.
Oct 11, 2015 6:05 AM

Jan 2009
Lol I think they kinda overdid it with the references, but that was fun to watch.
Oct 11, 2015 8:39 AM

Aug 2009
Well they did Dororon Enma-kun Meeramera in shouwa style. I loved it, but most people didn't understand the 70s humour or was just too daft to get some of Go Nagai's simpler jokes.

This time a series from the shouwa era is referencing modern anime pop culture, and guess what? People loved the references, when in fact it's actually making fun of them.

I like it, but I hope meta humour isn't the only thing this series have. I don't mind actually seeing some of the original material animated once again.

Reboots of old series should stick true to their roots and not try to appeal to the modern fan is what I got from the first episode.
Oct 11, 2015 9:16 AM

Jul 2011
DocJangarly said:
Well they did Dororon Enma-kun Meeramera in shouwa style. I loved it, but most people didn't understand the 70s humour or was just too daft to get some of Go Nagai's simpler jokes.

This time a series from the shouwa era is referencing modern anime pop culture, and guess what? People loved the references, when in fact it's actually making fun of them.

I like it, but I hope meta humour isn't the only thing this series have. I don't mind actually seeing some of the original material animated once again.

Reboots of old series should stick true to their roots and not try to appeal to the modern fan is what I got from the first episode.

this, as much as i laughed(obviously) people still seem to not have understood this.
Oct 11, 2015 9:36 AM

Jan 2013
Injiru-chan said:
Seeing from the preview for the next episode, it seems we won't see these sextuplets in this style from now on:

Too bad, I liked seeing them in modern bishie style w
Yeah me too, but I guess it still should be connected to the older orginal anime in terms of something. We'll see.
Oct 11, 2015 11:01 AM

Mar 2009
the first episode was really strong. im not sure if they can keep up the same quality tho. and i really hope they are not gonna ditch the style they used while they did the whole school idol routine
~ MALrewrite member ~
Manga, graphic novel & book reviews: http://mikoreads.wordpress.com/
Oct 11, 2015 12:47 PM

Jul 2011
hell no, that's exactly what they were trying to make you understand with that half-episode-long joke.
Oct 12, 2015 12:51 AM

Nov 2013
Gintama-quality comedy in this first episode. I really liked all the references and I was laughing almost nonstop during the last 10 minutes.
Oct 12, 2015 4:06 AM

Nov 2012
Amazing first episode.
Oct 12, 2015 6:36 AM
Jul 2015
Oh dear god , i didn't laugh this much for a looong time !!
btw guys do you know the OST that was used @16:10 ?? ( when they were going to fight the titan)
Oct 12, 2015 12:43 PM

Nov 2012
Halfway through the episode was thinking "This is suppose to be funny right?"

Only part I smirked at was the SnK reference which I saw coming from the beginning when I saw the school was walled in.

When they were fighting the titan was good as well.

Hasn't made me genuinely laugh yet though,comedy anime rarely do,hope this'll be different.
Oct 12, 2015 9:02 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Smiley_Nahla said:
Btw, was the band name "f6" a reference of the band "v6"?

I think it might've been F4 (flower four) from Hana Yori Dango, since they were the best looking ones in the school.

This was a hilarious first episode, I also went into this blindly. I forgot it was on my PTW and saw it when I was doing some stuff with my list. Loved the references and parodies. I actually wouldn't have minded the old black and white style since Kurayami Santa from last season was the same way. I was really surprised when they started their first parody with UtaPri, and then kept laughing when they were introduced as F6. Best part that kept me laughing was when Osomatsu and Juushimatsu took off each other's loose thread and their whole shirt comes right off omg. So fucking ridiculous XD Also the kabedon haha.

I'm enjoying the all star seiyuu cast too, such a pleasant surprise.
Oct 13, 2015 12:03 AM

Jan 2011
If this was only one episode it would of been perfect now i feel like after using the whole meta modern anime to this extent has limit the ability for them to use it again and it'd just have to be whatever Osomatsu is from here on out
Oct 14, 2015 6:55 PM

Jul 2009
Huh, I had no idea what to expect and this was actually really funny XD All those references, the fourth wall breaking, putting EVERYTHING INTO AN IDOL TITAN ANIME (???) and then ... I don't even know lol XD Plus all those seiyuus ... even looking at just their names I'm pretty sure I know most of them even if I still can't pick the brothers apart yet :P Seems like we had two EDs at the end or? Well the second was just them talking. Anyway seems like we won't have any more bishies next episode but a "modern" take on the old animation. I'm not sure how they're going to do the rest of this series but I hope it's good like this one! Looking forward to it :D
Oct 14, 2015 11:54 PM
Jul 2018
“Wtf???” was the only thing on my mind throughout the episode, so many parodies of so many different series. It was hilarious in the end though and hearing Kamiya Hiroshi is always a bonus.
Oct 15, 2015 12:08 PM

Aug 2014
I wasn't expecting a lot out of this but I am really glad I decided to watch it.

The parody bits (especially the sports ones) cracked me up a lot.
Oct 16, 2015 10:39 PM

Jun 2013
Was that Obama hugging Einstein?

Everything is beautiful.
Oct 18, 2015 8:30 PM

Oct 2015
This anime is just BEAUTIFUL, it brought ME back, I've never been a super anime fan but just the beauty in seeing a 60's anime BROUGHT BACK to LIFE into a MODERN world.. is just.. amazing, It makes me so happy, and I ADORE how they both wear their 60s business suits AND modern ones, the first ep was way too funny, all the parodies and then they're back to the start.. x'D

This is beautiful, to see them in their original designs come back into the modern life and even knowing that it's really hard for them... :'D love the characters, love the humor, and love the animation, and most of all, love the voice talent and the character designs.. the original, classic one! :D <33333 5/5
"We're getting comments from people who feel sorry for me!"
- Karamatsu

TragicRomance said:
he freakin got scared of the incoming object and rushed towards the window only to get stuck in it.
Oct 21, 2015 10:22 AM

Jun 2014
Best animu this season! The comedy is very pure gold
Oct 22, 2015 3:42 AM

Sep 2014
This is my nigga animu
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» Is this worth the watch?

Furuba_2801taku - Sep 6, 2020

10 by Old_School_Akira »»
Apr 17, 4:17 PM

Poll: » Osomatsu-san Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 7, 2015

82 by LainConnected »»
Mar 30, 8:08 AM

Poll: » Osomatsu-san Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2016

128 by Bidoof_PMD-EOS »»
Dec 9, 2023 8:04 PM

Poll: » Osomatsu-san Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 7, 2016

58 by Bidoof_PMD-EOS »»
Dec 9, 2023 7:26 PM

Poll: » Osomatsu-san Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 18, 2016

55 by Bidoof_PMD-EOS »»
Dec 8, 2023 8:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.