Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Feb 10, 2015 12:09 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
I didn't expect them to switch up the teams like that. A pleasant surprise that will keep this show fresh. But the outcome of who was going to be flagship was pretty obvious.

And this means we get to see more Kongo. Thank the Lord. BURNING LOOOOOOOOVE!
Feb 13, 2015 6:00 PM

Sep 2013
Yay, time for some context.

1) Kaga is statistically better, and can hold more planes than Zuikaku. That's just how it is. The Shoukaku class carriers are good all-round CVs (standard aircraft carriers) but they don't have as much of a role anymore in-game since Hiryuu and Soryuu got their second remodel (think of remodels as evolutions in pokémon. Hiryuu and Soryuu are the only carriers with a kai ni AKA two remodels at the moment.) They're definitely still good, though.

2) Although it does look like an odd fleet, it's actually not TOO terrible (or at least, it would be far better if he made KTKM-sama and Ooi kai-ni.) Two CVs is pretty standard, and at least one BB (battleship) is necessary for having two shelling phases in-game instead of just one. CLTs (torpedo cruisers) fill a special role since they can use pre-emptive torps. Ships with normal torpedo capabilities can only fire their torps at the end of a battle, so pre-emptive torps grant the ability to fire them at the start also, and usually have a habit of critting and removing enemies fairly reliably. I'm guessing Fubuki was thrown in there because the admiral is poor and can't afford to bring a second BB due to resource consumption costs.

3) Correction: The flagship does not get targeted more often. Actually, it's the opposite- Non-flagship ships will occasionally take hits for the flagship. After all, if the flagship receives heavy damage, you are forced to end the sortie right afterwards.

4) Given the above, it's very common to make the most fragile ship flagship, so Fubuki actually is the correct decision for flagship.

5) "...regardless of the enemy's numbers, it's important to function as a fleet..."

lol, I believe Fubuki was referring to the battle of Leyte Gulf, where the Japanese fleet broke formation against a weaker fleet and miserably lost. Her plan was actually good until she suggested that she attract enemy attention. The job of CVs and BBs in this case would have been to re-direct attention from the fragile elements of the fleet to themselves, since anyone receiving heavy damage usually means "end of sortie."
Feb 14, 2015 4:54 PM

Feb 2013
Figured Fubuki would be flagship... kind of a given once they entered the battle.
Feb 14, 2015 7:56 PM
Dec 2013
FrostbyteDOT said:
Yay, time for some context.

1) Kaga is statistically better, and can hold more planes than Zuikaku. That's just how it is. The Shoukaku class carriers are good all-round CVs (standard aircraft carriers) but they don't have as much of a role anymore in-game since Hiryuu and Soryuu got their second remodel (think of remodels as evolutions in pokémon. Hiryuu and Soryuu are the only carriers with a kai ni AKA two remodels at the moment.) They're definitely still good, though.

2) Although it does look like an odd fleet, it's actually not TOO terrible (or at least, it would be far better if he made KTKM-sama and Ooi kai-ni.) Two CVs is pretty standard, and at least one BB (battleship) is necessary for having two shelling phases in-game instead of just one. CLTs (torpedo cruisers) fill a special role since they can use pre-emptive torps. Ships with normal torpedo capabilities can only fire their torps at the end of a battle, so pre-emptive torps grant the ability to fire them at the start also, and usually have a habit of critting and removing enemies fairly reliably. I'm guessing Fubuki was thrown in there because the admiral is poor and can't afford to bring a second BB due to resource consumption costs.

3) Correction: The flagship does not get targeted more often. Actually, it's the opposite- Non-flagship ships will occasionally take hits for the flagship. After all, if the flagship receives heavy damage, you are forced to end the sortie right afterwards.

4) Given the above, it's very common to make the most fragile ship flagship, so Fubuki actually is the correct decision for flagship.

5) "...regardless of the enemy's numbers, it's important to function as a fleet..."

lol, I believe Fubuki was referring to the battle of Leyte Gulf, where the Japanese fleet broke formation against a weaker fleet and miserably lost. Her plan was actually good until she suggested that she attract enemy attention. The job of CVs and BBs in this case would have been to re-direct attention from the fragile elements of the fleet to themselves, since anyone receiving heavy damage usually means "end of sortie."

1) Historically, Shokaku and Zuikaku were the IJN's best carriers. Based on pre-war designs, Kaga carried more aircraft, but in actual combat, Kaga routinely carried slightly fewer aircraft than Shokaku and Zuikaku. Kaga also had more armor. However, Shokaku and Zuikaku had more AA than all of the other carriers, typically carried more aircraft, and were faster.

2) Destroyers are the only ones who can seriously deal with submarines, so you should always have destroyers handy. Otherwise, a fleet simply becomes target practice for submarines. US submarines were the bane of the IJN.

3) Ironically, the IJN admirals had a frequent tendency to lose their flagships in battles, oftentimes being one of the first ships sunk. Go figure.

4) Destroyers were the easiest ship to sink with a single AP bomb or torpedo. It usually sheers the destroyer in half due to their narrow construction and minimal armor. Even .50 cal had a devastating effect on them.

5) Technically, Leyte was comprised of multiple battles. Since they had almost no aircraft left, the CVs and CVLs were used as bait. Off Samar, Center Force broke formation to undertake a general pursuit under Adm. Kurita's orders due to the torpedo counterattack by US DDs and DEs that forced the IJN ships to break off the attack to avoid the torpedoes. The subsequent opening of the distance and effective smokescreens put up by the DDs and DEs made Kurita worry that the US CVEs would escape. The IJN DDs were actually forced to deal with the US DDs and DEs, which were surprisingly effective in damaging or sinking the IJN CAs and CLs, so their BBs could focus on the US CVEs. This also tied down the IJN DDs from chasing down the US CVEs. If anything, his ships should've been more aggressive if he hoped to prevail against Adm. Sprague's force. However, it wouldn't have mattered, because the US landings at Leyte were almost complete by then, and Adm. Halsey, Adm. Lee, and Adm. Oldendorf's BBs and CVs would've closed on him from the north and south had he lingered any longer in the area.
MeatwadsanFeb 14, 2015 8:07 PM
Feb 15, 2015 9:21 AM

Jul 2009
Ooi and Kitakami are really close!:D
Feb 18, 2015 11:20 AM

May 2013
Hmm, so the Admiral's aiming for a reorganization for Operation FS.
And that's how Mobile Unit Five was born!

Mobile Unit Five consists of Fubuki, Kitakami, Ooi, Zuikaku, Kaga, and Kongou.
And they now need a Flagship and Fubuki has taken the position! (^_^)
I’m always searching for something, for someone. This feeling has possessed me I think, from that day… That day when the stars came falling.
Feb 19, 2015 11:29 AM

Nov 2014
Well, that was sudden. It doesn't take them long at all to resolve their issues. Regarding the animation, the crew did a great job with the CG characters during the battle scenes. I just realized they were CG. They're the best looking cel shaded 3D-characters I've seen.
aikaflipFeb 19, 2015 12:48 PM
Feb 22, 2015 3:29 AM

Dec 2011
Hahaha. They made so obvious that Fubuki will be the flagship... I really hope Ooi will mellow down as she is the only one annoying in this (its in history, but still hate her unhealthy obsession).
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 1, 2015 2:17 PM

May 2012
Another nice episode, let's see what happens next!
Jul 3, 2015 12:12 PM

Sep 2014
Two carriers that don't like each other, an overprotective cruiser, a crazy Engrish Battleship...

Poor Bucky! xD
Nov 1, 2015 1:37 AM

Jan 2010
Something's wrong here when Kongou seems to be the most dependable of the their fleet. That was my thought in the first half of the episode. My second thought was Mamiya's cafe. Do the girls' meals consist of sweets, tea, crumpets, and curry? Those minor bits aside, it does make sense for Fubuki to be the flagship. She's the most fragile of them all, so as the flagship, everyone else would protect her (aka typically get hit first as per game mechanics). This also coincides with Fubuki's status as the main character, so this worked out okay.
Feb 2, 2016 3:57 PM

Mar 2012
Wow, this is pretty much my 4-3 leveling team. Destroyer flag, battleship, 2 CLTs, 2 CVs.
Mar 20, 2017 12:16 AM

Dec 2016
Great episode, I think that squad is going to get along fine.
Jun 4, 2017 12:54 PM

Jul 2014
I always love seeing obvious CGI.
Sep 30, 2019 2:38 PM
Jun 2016
Fubuki has come so far since episode 1. She made the best plan and tore it up. Love that she is the flagship. <3
Nov 27, 2019 2:42 PM

Nov 2013
I swear, hearing Ooi talk is like fingernails on a chalkboard. And how she kicked Fubuki out was pretty mean.

Fortunately, Kongou was able to provide advice. She's the best.

I'm proud of Fubuki for taking the initiative and becoming the flagship.

The final scene was nice too.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Jun 21, 2021 10:42 AM

Apr 2013
Flight Deck Chest... poor Zuikaku getting roasted like this and not even by her worst enemy in the room.
just because I’ve gotten weaker, doesn’t mean that you got stronger, does it?
Jun 22, 2021 6:44 AM

Feb 2020
Nice yuri vibes.

SerafosApr 10, 5:48 AM
Jun 27, 2022 2:49 PM

Sep 2019
Fubuki-chaaaan~~ >.< >.< >.< What a cutie >>>.<<< Hoped for Kongou in the team and she got there as well. (Meanwhile hoping the yandere yuri torpedo would hurry up and sink in Mariana Trench or something, she's the only annoying one really..)
Aug 1, 2023 2:02 PM
Feb 2016
Me gusta este anime.

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kantai Collection: KanColle Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 4, 2015

115 by Foreall908 »»
Sep 5, 2023 2:20 AM

Poll: » Kantai Collection: KanColle Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 11, 2015

130 by Deazu »»
Aug 1, 2023 6:53 PM

Poll: » Kantai Collection: KanColle Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 28, 2015

168 by Deazu »»
Jul 30, 2023 1:44 PM

Poll: » Kantai Collection: KanColle Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 21, 2015

261 by Deazu »»
Jul 30, 2023 12:55 PM

Poll: » Kantai Collection: KanColle Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Amarrez - Dec 27, 2014

345 by daddy7860 »»
Feb 12, 2023 9:43 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.